All MemberPress Reviews

MemberPress Courses

Michaël

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Switching to MemberPress was my best decision so far

PROS

I switched from Buddypress where the options were limited and hard to find, so I was looking for a plugin that could offer everything I needed for one specific set price. After some research I stumbled upon Memberpress and even though I'm not an experience user by far; the setup was flawless and the configuration was very easy.

CONS

My experience with MemberPress hasn't reached the level of "I'm looking for something but I can't find it here" yet so I can't really think of anything right now

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

Extensions for what I was looking for was hard to find and I'm not really fond of paying several developers to reach the same goals as I am right now.

Heather

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2022

Everything You Need For Your Membership

When I switched to Memberpress, I wanted a member dashboard that linked to my course, live events, facebook group, and had room for featured content. I am very pleased I made the switch. I also wanted to be able to sell membership tiers.

PROS

There are a lot of moving parts in a membership, and MemberPress covers them all. It even includes customizable email templates that are sent out for a variety of communication needs, including membership renewal, reminds them that their credit card is about to expire, etc. I also love that it does not tie me to a certain design, and that I can use my own templates and CSS.

CONS

I felt that there was a lot to learn for onboarding, but such is the case with robust software. Their online articles and videos are very helpful however.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

Design, automated emails, ability to integrate other wordpress plugins and build out my course the way I see fit.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

I liked Teachable, but there were so many more features in Memberpress, and I had the option to design within a different wordpress template that I find more elegant than Teachable.

Devan

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2021

Good, but the fact there's no editor built-in...

For the price they're charging and this being a WordPress tool, I expect some sort of appearance / form style editing to be built-in. I was really disappointed to discover that I'd basically have to code much of the appearance and stylistic settings. This makes it really hard to optimize for conversions. With me not being that good at CSS, this also means I'll have to hire a CSS dev to make MemberPress more user-friendly and conversion oriented. There are basically NO appearance editing features built-in, and I find that extremely disappointing.

PROS

Inclusive of just about everything you need to run a membership website

CONS

No built-in appearance editing. For the price they're charging and the fact that this is an annual membership, that should definitely be built-in. There are WP tools that cost WAY less that have appearance editing built-in.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

Seemed to be the most inclusive of the features we needed. Support seemed good.

Hello Devan, Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us and Capterra community. Though it's always disappointing to learn that a customer has had a negative experience, we consider these times an opportunity to focus on how we can improve. If you'd like to further discuss your concerns and suggestions for built-in appearance editing, please contact us at outreach@caseproof.com. Again, thank you for your review, and we do hope that we can work together to find a solution to your problem. Sincerely, MemberPress Customer Support

Replied August 2021

Ian

E-Learning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Helped pull me out of poverty!

Loved it!

PROS

Memberpress is a membership plugin on steroids. There is no comparison. I went from living on $10,000 a year to earning a living and supporting a family through the Memberpress plugin alone. No other paid Wordpress plugins. Paid $25 a month for Converkit and just created content and marketed really hard. Memberpress is way better than things like Teachable or Thinkific because everything is on one site. Most people who are making a difference in the world want everything in one place. Free info, paid stuff, and fun content. The ethical way to promote content in 2022 is to release a ton of free stuff and let people come into your courses or membership without the cohort scarcity scare tactics. Memberpress makes that really easy. The integrations are great on Memberpress. I use the Convert Kit, Beaver Builder, and a couple other integrations and they work fine. Now I will go into some other membership plugins. Paid Membership Pro is wonky and doesn't give you the same freedom. I run a Paid Membership pro site (because their Discord integration is the most important part of the membership) and everything other than the Discord integration is worse. Learndash is a better LMS but their registration, payment, and member management is an absolute nightmare. If you use Zapier for a Discord integration and Memberpress Courses (about 85% as good as LearnDash LMS for courses but makes up for that in so many different ways) all the pro's for other companies listed above are obsolete.

CONS

It's a bit barebones. But, that gives you the freedom for total customization. If you're trying to make money on Wordpress in 2022 you need to have Ux/Ui skills or pay someone who does.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

Terrible payment systems, customers couldn't reset passwords or cancel, and couldn't restrict content like I wanted to.

Jason

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2022

Great Membership Management System for your WordPress Website!

Great! Love the product for what it does. I recommend it to many people!

PROS

Love how easy it is to set up and turn your WordPress website into a membership website.

CONS

One of the issues I found with their course creator. I was having some issues accessing the page (was showing error messages). As well, if you delete a lesson from the main course curriculum (rather than the right side lessons list), record of that page remains on the sitemap. I've received a 5xx server error from Google as a result. MAKE SURE YOU DELETE LESSONS FROM THE SIDE LESSONS LIST.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

Because it was a plugin I could install and turn my existing website into a membership website. I didn't like hosting it on other platforms (Kajabi, Teachable) – as well, I like how it offered unmetered pricing. For example, MemberMouse tiers it at 1,000 members and increases the price based on that.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

I wanted to build a membership site on my own platform. Patreon is where I started, but realized I would be spending a LOT in fees with the percentages Patreon takes from membership fees. MemberPress fit the bill for a WordPress MMS solution. Great product!

Wilson

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2022

MemberPress Review

Overall, I generally like MemberPress over other membership platforms for the fact that it is standalone and is censorproof

PROS

MemberPress is the ultimate plugin for monetization of content without the fear of censorship or third party control ( Read: perfect Patreon alternative). It's extremely easy to set up login pages and membership levels. I can also just put specific content on my site under paywall. Recent addition of MemberPress courses that allows me to price different parts of my course and let my website work for me is the ultimate reason I permanently switched from Patreon. It's a plugin, so they'll probably never censor me.

CONS

I am yet to find anything poor about the plugin otherwise I would definitely have put that here.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

I can host MemberPress directly from my site thus is unlikely to censor me unlike Patreon where I might be working as long as their terms don't change.

Brandon

Internet, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2020

MemberPress is the #1 Membership Plugin for WordPress

Setting up MemberPress can require you to know and understand a little bit about memberships sites. Once it's set up and configured, I usually don't have to tweak the settings at all. Everything just works. Creating protected content for a course is super easy now too.

PROS

MemberPress allows me to set up basic membership sites as well as fully-customized membership experiences. The code under the hood includes WordPress hooks and filters so folks who are more technically minded can extend it to suit their needs. The new Course Management features allow you to create online classrooms for your users to view a stylish version of your course content. It's quick and easy to build out your course content with without having to worry about spending time customizing layouts .

CONS

Some of the UI is a little clunky. One of the reasons it's been around for so long is because its functionality is robust. Because it's been around for so many years, some of its UI feels a little out of date. They are continually making improvements so this doesn't bother me.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

MemberPress has the best support team. They're responsive, knowledgeable, and helpful. MemberPress also has some advanced add-ons that lets my team create unique and usfule membership platforms for our clients.

Reviewed February 2021

Outstanding Features! Superb Support!

It solves the need of our organization with course and membership management. No plugin in WordPress yet can do such as of writing this review.

PROS

The 2-in-1 feature of Course and Membership plugin for WordPress is very convenient for setting up our course site. The support is also outstanding and helps to solve the errors quickly.

CONS

The limitations in course completion. However integration with other features like gamepress is great

Reason for choosing MemberPress

No need to purchase separate license for membership and course plugins

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

We need to purchase other license for course and membership plugin. So we stick with one plugin that can do both.

Stephanie

E-Learning, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2021

Best membership platform I have ever used

This software gives me the control to make my membership site be what I want it to be instead of being held hostage by what is available

PROS

It is pretty easy to figure out, I love having complete control instead of having to abide by other platform's rules as well as living without features I want. I have tried numerous other platforms & always hit a wall with the options I want but with memberpress I can create all I want!

CONS

Had trouble getting it uploaded to my site but I contacted memberpress & they took care of it for me.

Memberpress had the features & flexibility I wanted

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

Wanted more flexibility to do what I wanted with my membership

Reviewed June 2024

Is almost plug and play for a simple academy

PROS

You can connect paypal or stripe and simply start running your academy in some minutes

CONS

If you want to control the purchase process or tweak the membership levels or change something out the box, you need to learn the system and put some codes

Is good for a membership, also you can sell courses on 1 time payment

Trisha

Recreational Facilities and Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed January 2021

Finally, a robust membership platform that integrates into our website

With MemberPress we have been able to consolidate everything into our client facing website. There has been a slight learning curve coming from a competitor's software, but that is to be expected.

PROS

I love that this integrates right into our Wordpress site. I also love the ability to create corporate accounts and monthly recurring memberships, and that there are so many available add-ons and third party integrations that we can use.

CONS

We switched from another membership software, so it was a little tricky importing information in a similar way to what we had set up. I also wish that the software had the ability to split tender. Membership reporting is pretty surface level, it would be nice to be able to run more detailed reports on specific memberships - or members that that are about to expire.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

MemberPress was the only solution where we could have corporate accounts, and also have monthly memberships that couldn't be canceled on the front end by the member.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

Our old software had some major limitations. We migrated our website to Wordpress due to the limited website design options with Wild Apricot. We were then running two platforms, which was confusing for our internal team and left us without functionality that we wanted (member directory, forums - these had to be iFrames on our Wordpress site which was AWFUL). We wanted the ability to be able to customize our software to keep up with our growing organization.

Andy

Music, 2-10 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Collects Payment While You Sleep

Memberpress allows me to drip feed newsletters, course tips and customer retention quite easily. Take all of those aspects seriously because they really impact your business over the long term. Memberpress has everything built in and they have spent time thinking about this from a sellers point of view.

PROS

Memberpress changed my life in a good way because it did everything automatically which was the dream scenario I always dreamt of having. Once you have a product or service then the only missing link is Memberpress to bring in the money - and it does that without my manual interaction.

CONS

Was not easy to customise the interface but after receiving support with a few hours I was guided on how to modify aspects of the plugin. I am not a coder so getting a non-techy response was very welcome. There could perhaps be some templates to select from in future versions to make this easier.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

The support from Learndash was extremely poor and the flexibility of customisation is not a joyous experience to the non-techy. Learndash offers a lot but too complex to keep on top of. Memberpress does exactly what it says on the box!

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

I don't want a mountain of menus - just simple point and click setups.

1 employee

Reviewed January 2022

Great Membership platform for WordPress

It’s great! Can’t recommend them enough.

PROS

Easy to get set up and running with. Well priced, and works well with WordPress! Very happy with MemberPress software!

CONS

Some hiccups with the course builder. But that could be issues with the integration with the theme on our end. Overall, the MemberPress team has build a great product.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

Well priced, highly reviewed, and good integrations.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

Make a more professional membership site.

Susan

Farming, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2020

High ROI

At the end of the day MemberPress delivered more than expected for the least investment of time and money.

PROS

MemberPress made it possible to free up the most time-consuming job of my membership site: student access to course files. Absolutely love being able to design and implement coupon codes in the blink of an eye allowing me to simply track source of sign-ups.

CONS

It takes an investment of time for the non-technical user.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

Pricing was more compatible with my budget for what I needed to accomplish

Maggie

Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2020

Robust Membership plugin for Wordpress

Overall, MemberPress is a really versatile and useful plugin for building a membership site and has lots of great features. We've found it to be a good fit for our business and are happy with it. Customer service is always fast and friendly if we have any questions or problems.

PROS

It's really easy to set up rules for which members can access what content. Our particular site offers downloadable resources, so Members are able to access all pages, but certain resources are only able to be viewed and downloaded by Members of specific membership levels. Once we set it up the first time, it has worked wonderfully and makes uploading new resources for various membership levels very easy. The plugin is also fairly easy to adjust to suit our needs with very little coding knowledge needed. Most features are already included and it's just a matter of selecting them.

CONS

We offer a different annual price every year for new members, but old members continue to pay the price they first signed up with. At the moment, the 'Membership path' (going from free to paid, or paid down to free, for example) only allows a certain membership to be used once in paths. It would be much simpler for administrators if they could use a membership level in more than one path. As it stands for us, members who have signed up in previous years do not automatically go down to the free version if they stop their paid version. They simply cease to have access and we have to manually give them free access.

Memory

Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

Used less than 2 years

Great membership plugin

There are a lot of features available with MemberPress. There's definitely a learning curve that comes with setting up and using the plugin, but they have a lot of helpful videos explaining the various features and how to use them. Also, if you get on the mailing list, they send out regular emails, in the beginning, telling you about all the features available. We were so busy that we didn't have time to read many of them, and there are probably some benefits that we are missing out on because we didn't read them. But regardless, it's definitely served us well and helped up increase our membership numbers.

PROS

Once set up, the plugin makes taking payments and keeping track of members a breeze. It's all mostly automated so there's not a lot of extra work that needs to be put into collecting information, sending email responses, taking payments, etc.

CONS

We switched from a different membership plugin to use this one because it offered more features. It's been a couple of years since setting it up so it's hard to remember exactly what issues we faced, but I do remember that transferring our member info from the old site to the new one wasn't very intuitive. We had to type out all of their info because we couldn't find a way to export the info from the old plugin and import it into MemberPress. That was tedious but, like I said, it's been a couple of years so future updates may have addressed that problem and made the transfer process easier.

Reason for choosing MemberPress

This had most of the features that the team needed and also includes additional add-ons to make it even more beneficial.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

The team started using the old membership plugin before I started working there, but I think they wanted to switch because it didn't offer all the features they needed.

Ryan

Internet, 2-10 employees

Beats any other Member Option for WordPress I've seen

Overall, it's the best membership plugin (for paid memberships) that I've found for WordPress. Like any software, there are minor things I wish it did differently, but most importantly, for our clients, they have been very happy with it as well -- something I definitely can't say about every WP Plugin we've used for sure!

PROS

The implementation of this software is hands-down better than any other membership plugin(s) for WordPress. The setup and configuration was probably almost half the time it's taken for the main competitor that we've used in the past. In addition the features ate at least on par, if not significantly better than others without nickel and diming you to death for every requirement. Of course there are several paid addons, but they seem to be for truly specialized circumstances.

CONS

The think that we had the hardest time with is for sure importing existing members, subscriptions and transactions, though it really wasn't too bad. Once you understand the exact way that they need the csv files formatted (and the instructions are pretty easy to follow) it can be done pretty painlessly -- it's that csv setup that takes forever, though, and I'm not sure of a way around it. For sure the most frustrating part of this was the inability (as far as I could see) to turn off notifications during an import. Even though I had everything shut off, the admin account of was still getting bombarded with "new account created" emails.

Reasons for switching to MemberPress

We were having a hard time getting everything done we wanted to with the WooCommerce plugins and they just felt so clunky. In addition, it seemed that nearly everything we wanted to do was either impossible or required another $100/year plugin.

Amanda