Subbly Software Reviews

Subbly Software Reviews

Find out more:

FrontRunners 2021

Find out more:

• icon"The ease of use and the customer support are the 2 biggest point of the software and it is clearly what I like the most about it."
  • icon"They have tutorial videos for everything, are always willing to help, and give great advice."
  • icon"I like the design and how easy it is to find the functions that I need. I also like that I can save blocks to use again later without having to rebuild it."
  • icon"The inability to set a limited availability quantity. However, I do know this is being worked on."
  • icon"There are a few limitations, but I feel they are working hard to fill all of the tiny gaps."
  • icon"I think it was a bit confusing to people, seeing the same photo 5 times, only difference being the size. It was hard to indicate that the size was the part that was different in the titles."

All Subbly Reviews

Megan

Industry: Farming

Perfect for small CSA Farms, affordable & flexible system

I have had a million questions about all the options they've made available in this SAAS, and hiccups getting the payment to go through since it's international and the bank thought it was fraudulent. They've been so helpful and prompt with responding considering our time difference from California to Europe. The even extended the free trial so I could have time to get everything in order before going live!

Pros

Price point is affordable for small businesses and farms. Most favorite features are the customer portal so our subscribers can manage their own subscription, preferences, and billing at their convenience. The check out survey allows you to create add-on products and services billed right into the subscription price, or just as a one time add-on. The checkout flow is beautiful and mobile friendly, and the widget functions perfectly.

Cons

Not much I don't like about it - one thing I wish I could modify is the ability to change the language in the checkout process so it doesn't say "ship to this address", as opposed to just collecting a shipping and billing address, as one of my options in the checkout survey is to collect their subscription box on our farm for free.

Reasons for choosing Subbly

Pricing, customer portal, customizing add-ons and box preferences during checkout, ability to add the widget into our existing website.

Response from Subbly

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, we're over the moon that you've had a positive experience!

Replied January 2020

Isaiah

February 2022

Honest opinions from a 2+ year Subbly User

Pros

If you are looking to get started with your subscription based business or even if you have been doing your business for years already, I 100% recommend Subbly. It is EXTREMELY USER FRIENDLY and there are so much options and customizable features for every niche. You dont have to code a single thing if you do not want to and you still have just as much customizable features as a pro web designer.

Cons

Subbly does offer basic email marketing, and it is editable. However, I think it needs more flexibility. Unlike Klaviyo or Mailchimp which are specifically designed for email marketing, Subbly is limited in its capabilites. Although Subbly does offer a multitude of 3rd party integrations, such as Klaviyo, it is still extremely limited. For example, I use Klaviyo, however, Subbly does not have all metrics on Klaviyo for it to even work to its full potential. If you were moving from WooCommerce and had Klaviyo integrated, and then you moved to Subbly, you will quickly learn of the "cuts" you no longer have in your email marketing simply because Subbly does not, and has not, offered a "true" or "full" integration. Personally, I feel like it's a, lack of a better term "half assed" integration. I fully believe that if Subbly wants to offer certain 3rd party integrations, like Klaviyo, it needs to be working at 100% capacity, not 75%. I beleive "little" things like this actually become a big problem when it comes to growth and eventually just becomes a burning whole in your wallet. I have brought this issue up to Subbly and they recommended getting Zapier as a solution. So now, I am paying for Subbly system, but also Klaviyo (because Subbly does not offer a flexible email marketing), but now I have to pay for Zapier as well. Then you may have to pay someone to set up your Zapier because Zapier isnt the most user friendly application. It just adds up and can be mentally exhausting.

Reasons for switching to Subbly

I was on WooCommerce and I was not using WooCommerce Subscription. I was using some other 3rd party plug in for my subscriptions. One day I woke up and noticed my subscriptions/customers were gone. The plugin I was running cancelled all of my customers. I had left Subbly to go to WooCommerce because I THOUGHT I wanted something different. I reached out to Subbly, told them what happened, and asked if they could salvage my customers. Luckily, Subbly was able to migrate ALL OF MY CUSTOMERS back to Subbly. If it wasnt for this I would have just given up my business. You really dont know what you have until its gone. Even without this dramatic tragic event, there were SO MANY FEATURES I did not have on WooCommerce that I really wish I did. Now im back on Subbly running strong. I doubt ill ever leave. I learned my lesson.

Jared

October 2022

Great option for subscription based businesses!

I found it by listening to the Subbly Podcast and then decided to switch from shopify to subbly, greatest switch! Any possible change of a future mobile app like shopify does?

Pros

I love how simple it is get up and running within a few days! You can have a working system with a nice looking website in a matter of a week!

Cons

Parts of the website builder are finicky but for the most part I love Subbly! Customer service is prime!!

Reasons for choosing Subbly

The podcast hyped me up!

Reasons for switching to Subbly

Too many plugins to do the simple task of making a subscription based company!

Emily

A good starting place for your subscription business

A great place to quickly and cheaply setup your Subscripton business. A bit glitchy and a bit simplistic but it works to get you off the ground without breaking the bank.

Pros

*Most things you need to get going are in one place and that you don't need to bolt on and pay for apps (you do but less essential compared to Shopify) * Quick responses from customer service * The customer's account for managing their subscription is excellent, much clearer than Bold/Shopify. * Quick and easy to build a site without any coding * Much cheaper than what you'd end up paying for Shopify/Bold * The ability to start subscriptions in the future and have the customer decide how many reoccurrences they want for their gift.

Cons

* Lack of shipping options for customers - proves difficult to have a profitable one price fits all option * Somewhat defensive customer service responses * Glitchy - had to re-save sections 20+ times * No show-cart step * No stock control/variants for non-subscription items * Limits to what you can do on the site, mobile and tablet aren't completely intuitive/customisable/responsive * Customers can't have more than one subscription in their basket

Response from Subbly

Thanks for your feedback! We're always looking for ways to improve and in fact lots of the things you have mentioned are already being solved as I write this and we can't wait to deliver those to you.

Replied October 2020

Cameron

Industry: Food Production

It works

While Subbly doesn't have as flashy of a marketing presence or site interface, it fulfills all of its brand's promises to customers. It allows businesses to grow and above all, it works!

Pros

Reliable. Very easy for customers. Very flexible for administrators to manage their customers' subscriptions. It is constantly working to improve all aspects of the experience for administrators and their customers alike.

Cons

Weird language for checkouts and other customer facing pages, would like to be more custom. A bit confusing to navigate management side of sight.

Reasons for switching to Subbly

Squarespace provided no flexibility in managing or customizing subscriptions + Poor customer service.

Rachel

I stand by my previous review "BEST. CHOICE. HANDS. DOWN."

Where to begin...? I was struggling before I found them. I was struggling to get my subscription up and running, dropping money into another site that wasn't as attentitve to it's customer's/subscriber's needs even though they offered a marketplace. But then a sale through the marketplace would've taken what little 'profit' I'd have made off of the sale... and then came Subbly. The resources on their site are up to date. I've gotten multiple video explanations, on the backend of MY subscription store, showing me exactly where to go and what to do pertaining to whatever questions I may have asked. They give you the tools and resources you need for success and if you need that little bit of help along the way to figure things out because you got stuck? The staff are there to help you 100%. Seriously, I can't say enough good stuff about the staff. And the fact that Subbly makes a live chat a priority for their subscribers to reach out as issues arise? I don't have to wait a week or more for help with something that could literally take 2 minutes to answer. Remember in Pretty in Pink when Ducky takes Andie to Prom and then she ends up leaving with Blane? But just as you're feeling sorry for Ducky there is that girl who waves him over and you know he's going to be okay? Well I was Ducky and Subbly was that girl waving me over. Weird analogy I know. But I feel like I'm going to be okay with Subbly.

Pros

It's not wordy in the instructions. It's clean. It's concise. It's easy to manage on my own('cause let's face it starting out, we're doing it all ourselves)! It's easy on the eyes on the screen even if sitting and working at the computer for a long time (as we do).

Cons

In the website builder I get "Product" and "Products" mixed up... but that's more of a user error than anything else!

Reasons for choosing Subbly

The price is good for the services offered, and they deal exclusvely with Subscriptions, and seriously having that customer service assist you when you run into a new situation or a hiccup in your website or an issue with the backend of your account. It's priceless. I can say with confidence I can type them a problem I've encountered and I KNOW someone will get back to me shortly so I can still be working at my computer on other stuff while I wait and I don't have to worry if I will hear from them a week later. I can live without a marketplace (although i wouldn't necessarily object to one happening, but then perhaps it would take away from the amazing subscription business customer service they provide if they tried to do too much). Besides they provide insight into how to market your business. So take the time and check out their resources they provide; they have great visuals and are concise insights to market your business. A lot of the time if I don't want to surf around on the Subbly resources I just google whatever help I need and add the word subbly and it brings me to the Subbly resource I need on their site!

Charmaine

The best way to start a subscription business.

The best customer service you will ever find. They go above and beyond. Seriously, I have been putting them to work (unintentionally but I needed a lot of help/had a lot of questions) and they have graciously completed every task and answered every question.

Pros

It really is built subscription first. Where you would need a lot of plug ins and connecters to get started on other platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce, it's all built right in. So it really ends up saving you money because you don't have to pay for a lot of apps.

Cons

>The emails that are triggered need to be able to come from a white labeled domain. >There is no direct integration with ANY CRM software. You would think at least salesforce or HubSpot, but nope. This isn't as big of a deal while I am still in beta but this is very important to me for scaling purposes. >There is currently no public API so I can't even get a developer to program an integration for me. But I have been informed a public one will be coming Fall-ish 2021.

Reasons for switching to Subbly

WooCommerce isn't quarterly subscription friendly even with the subscriptions add on. It was also clunky and lacked the ease of use on both the customer and back end sides.

Response from Subbly

Dear Charmaine, thank you very much for your review! Our focus is always on our customers and on providing the highest possible level of service to them. We're sorry to hear that some features are not working as you expected them to, however, your detailed feedback will help us look into these issues and fix them. We take such feedback very seriously and have created a page, where you can request improvements to the existing features or even tell us about some new features you'd like to see, you can always share your ideas with us here https://subbly.canny.io/feature-requests.

Replied August 2021

Telia

Subbly CAN DO IT ALL

I am so excited to have the ability to offer digital products with my subscription boxes. Also, they created a community of subscription box companies in a Facebook group to provide a space for people to find support or bounce ideas off each other.

Pros

So easy to use!! Since I was just starting out they helped me think of things I hadn't thought of yet. Also, the customer service is EXCEPTIONALLY amazing (and super patient) honestly I was messaging them everyday setting up even before I starring paying for my plan.

Cons

I can't really think of anything I would need outside of what Subbly offers.

Reasons for choosing Subbly

The customer service and the fees are reasonable. I mean I know that everyone need to have their own piece of the pie, but Sublly isn't like the other companies. They understand that you are a new business and every little penny counts, I think this is because they are a "bootstrap company" and remember how it is when you are starting out. It just seems really personal and honest when they talk to you.

Reasons for switching to Subbly

Cratejoy was just a market place, everything I needed was an add on. Also, setting things up was complicated and confusing to me and they never would email me back for days. I am a mom of two toddlers and I only get to work on things after that are asleep so I usually end up sending 5 or 6 messages to the support team while I am trying to work on things. Even though I am in a different time zone they always message me back within a few hours AND they answer all of the questions, not just the last one.

Robert

May 2022

What a HUGE improvement over every other system we'e ever tried to use

Pros

We have moved all of our clients and new business from the old clunky PayPal process (which was also VERY insecure!) to Subbly so that signing up for our services is now super easy, much faster, and much more secure. Managing users and seeing a real-time view of our entire business through the extensive dashboard has changed the way that we view our entire business. We're more informed than ever before, which shows us where we need to focus our efforts.

Cons

There's really nothing that I don't like about Subbly. While there are a LOT of features and functions in it that we don't use, it is nice to know that it has everything we need as we continue to grow.

Reasons for choosing Subbly

We looked at so many options that I honestly can't even recall them all!

Reasons for switching to Subbly

PayPal is just so clunky and unfriendly to use for us as well as for our clients, and there's absolutely zero useful reporting functionality to give us a real-time view of our entire customer base in one simple yet extensive dashboard. It simply could not get any better!

Krystal

Best Subscription Platform

I don’t have any plans to leave Subbly. I’m very impressed with the company overall and do look forward to anytime they release new features and upgrade the platform! For anyone else that is new to the subscription box business, this company truly is the go to!

Pros

Subbly is a great subscription platform for start-up subscription companies. The software is easy to use for the beginner and the website builder was super easy to set up. I had my new website and product up and ready to sell within a few hours.

Cons

There are some features that could be added but I promise you, if you talk to Subbly‘s team, they will hear you out. They’ve been able to help me with every request so far and they’re willing to listen to suggestions for new features or bug fixes. There are very few cons and trust me, the benefits do outweigh them.

Reasons for switching to Subbly

I made Subbly my main subscription platform because they are not a 3rd party marketplace. Cratejoy is a 3rd party marketplace and is more expensive to use.

Jill

March 2022

The Best Subscription Box Software

We made the change to add Subbly to our subscription box business. We are grateful for their service, features and adding new features all the time.

Pros

Subbly focuses specifically on subscription box business. They are adding new features all the time. The customer service is the best!

Cons

Nothing that I can think of. When there are issues, the customer service assists easily.

Reasons for switching to Subbly

There were some features that only Subbly has.

Jai

October 2022

Great functionality and utility!

Amazing

Pros

Easy service to use for anyone in the small business sector looking to implement a subscription base service

Cons

Subbly may look overwhelming for new users to understand

Dani

November 2022

Everything I needed plus some!

Overall this has been wonderful! I am alone in building this business, except when working with subbly. Its everything I didnt know I needed for my business, walks through a clear setup list, and has features waiting for me as I build up to needing more automations. The support team has been like a partmer to me, making sure I understand how things work in the tool and what option I have if an option isnt available (for example, giving customers account credit could be easier, but support gave me two clear alternatives to use with their system to pull off something similar).

Pros

I can't believe how many features this one system has. I've had to rewrite the business plan a couple times and each and every way I try to do it I have an option here with this website because of the many features they offer. As I've come up with ideas from my customers as well, subbly seems to always have an option for doing what I want or working to accomplish it in some way. The support is also top tier, always there to help and always willing to fully understand my problem and authentically brainstorm with me as an owner working with their system. Its been a great partnership.

Cons

So far, because there are so many features the learning curve is pretty steep. (But for being what it is, I also find it very user friendly to navigate around and the articles talk to me like I'm a real person so it makes it easy to read through those to find my answer.)

Reasons for choosing Subbly

Customer service to start - great first and lasting inpression there. The idea of a marketplace didnt attract me.. and as stated above. Both had less features than Subbly.

Reasons for switching to Subbly

They have wayyyy less features for cost. Websites are bland and confusing to build. No subscription management tools.

Amanda

November 2022

Subbly Review

When we set up our subscription business, we looked at Subbly and Cratejoy. We ultimately went with Subbly to set up our website because it was cheaper to set and the fees per transaction were significantly less than Cratejoy. But also we liked the look of the Subbly backend and the helpdesk and support is outstanding. We do sell on Cratejoy marketplace but I don't like it - they fleece both the customer and the supplier with their charges and the support is poor. And don't get me started on their financial side.We made a great choice choosing Subbly. It has eased our transition into the subscription market and has allowed is to easily control our business. I am very happy and would recommend to all subscription box provoders.

Pros

Whenever I have encountered an issue with Subbly - usually of my own making - the support team at Subbly has always helped me out, usually straightaway. They have talked me through changes, done some for me and made me videos to follow. They are always here for me and always check back to make sure i'm happy.I like the ease with which I was able to set up the website without needing any computer training and the ability to have both subscription products and one-off products. There is a lot more functionality with Subbly that I have not delved into yet but so far I am very pleased and my business is ticking along nicely.

Cons

Overall, I am very impressed with the software. I would like to see more options for financial reports. Right now for sales tax there is a CSV file to download but it could be more robust. There are some issues with downloading to pirate ship items that aren't due to go out in that period which can be frustrating if i forget to "ignore" them.I would like to understand the "media" section better to be able to render photos that load quickly but that is probably more to do with me than the software.

see above