Browse Customer.io Reviews

Max from I AM POP

The perfect platform to set up product-driven email communications with customers at scale

What I really like is that we use our own database as the single source of truth, and not the email platform database which is never up to date. With Customer.io we use real-time data from our own platform (B2B SaaS) which helps me as a marketer to always communicate with customer segments in the best possible way. Customer.io provide lots of options to filter based on segments and rules which comes in very handy when you want to create cool workflows. Overall, extremely happy with the platform.

Pros

Easy-to-use and intuitive email and marketing automation platform. Especially the ability to send out webhooks makes it very strong.

Cons

The initial set up requires some help from a developer but if you have that sorted out, it's really easy to use.

A very useful tool for non-developer, tech-savvy marketers

I've tried many marketing automation tools and this hits the spot in terms of what a tech-savvy non-developer can do. There's a fine line between an eye-candy platform that scores low on customization and a fully fledged tool that requires constant support from a developer. Customer.io walks that line gracefully, allowing me to control onboarding and loyalty processes and much more.

Pros

I like that I have yet to hit its limitations. Usually if a feature isn't readily available, the platform is open enough for me to find a workaround that gets the job done. Kudos for customer support, a real win! :)

Cons

It could use more or better filtering and search options, as the segments, campaigns and attributes can turn into chaos if multiple people use it for different purposes. The learning curve was a bit steep. Except for the quite useful knowledge base and great customer support, I would have enjoyed some video tutorials/onboarding experience.

Reasons for Switching to Customer.io

Not enough customization available, more focused on the design than the workflow.

December 2021

Lucie from WeeViews

December 2021

Customer.io for Weekly Newsletters

Overall, very happy with the user experience. It’s saved me a lot of time in developing our newsletter.

Pros

I love using Customer.io for our weekly newsletters because it allows me to replicate the same format each week. This saves me time each week because I can just make individual tweaks to content each time, rather than having to redo the entire process. I also appreciate the metrics on open and click rate, to know what content sparks our audience’s attention and what doesn’t hit so strongly.

Cons

I don’t like that it is difficult to copy a message from one “workspaces” to the next. I wish there was a possibility to duplicate a template across workspaces without having to recreate the whole thing. We use different workspaces to separate different audiences, but often want to send them similar emails.

Shilpa from LINKEDIN

Email automation tool

I don’t find this product very easy to use but it’s one of the best so far I’ve used in the email automation space.

Pros

I liked that I could run my drip campaigns on this tool. The complexity of the drips could be managed.

Cons

It requires a dedicated developer which might not always be possible. There should be a few automated codes.

March 2016

Michael from KnowledgeVision

March 2016

Great Customer Email Tool - Content Creation Needs Improvement

We have been using Customer.io for nearly three months, and it has revolutionized the way our SaaS business communicates with its customers. From multi-part onboarding of new customers to re-stimulation of lapsed users to announcements of new features, Customer.io has been a dream come true for our subscription business. Building a sequence ("workflow") of emails, triggered by a particular event (like SIGN-UP or UPGRADE or CANCELLATION) is a snap. And applying it to individual customer segments is easy, though you'd better brush up on your logic (AND/OR/NOT etc.) before you construct a more exotic segment. So, too, is the ease of constructing one-time mailings ("newsletters") to an entire group of customers meeting a certain set of criteria. Once the segments are defined, sending newsletters is quite straightforward. In this regard, Customer.io runs circles around MailChimp, which we used to use for this purpose. Integration with a software product like ours is quite straightforward, and Customer.io offers a nice API for updating customer profiles and posting events for those customers. Customer.io currently falls short in the content creation department. Its text editor doesn't measure up to the rest of the application, and requires quite a bit of hand-manipulation of HTML to get newsletters and emails looking just the way you'd like them. Getting email text to wrap around a right-justified image, for example, requires knowledge of and hand-coding in HTML. And even then, the HTML produced by the text editor is not clean. Missing, too, are functions like being able to duplicate a workflow in order to launch a slightly different communication flow to a different customer segment. Onboarding customers to two different product tiers, for example, requires that the entire workflow be created from scratch for each segment, rather than allowing the user to duplicate the workflow and make changes to suit the second segment. Those shortcomings aside, Customer.io is a tool that shows a great deal of promise for any company that wants to communicate on a regular basis with its customers, especially when those communications need to be sequenced over a customer lifecycle. For a recurring-revenue business, where ongoing communication is key to retention and referral, a tool like Customer.io is essential to success.

Pros

- Customer data base is very flexible, and easy to keep up to date via API - Very powerful segmentation tool that can use customer profile fields, events, and even interaction with email to segment customers for subsequent communication - Easy, intuitive construction and management of triggered, multi-part communications workflows - Attractive visual reporting of emails sent, opened, clicked - Reasonably priced, automatic scaling of pricing based on actual volume used (emails, customer profiles) - Built-in A/B testing of email copy

Cons

- Text editor lacks power features; requires HTML in order to optimize emails - Minimal pre-packaged layouts; layout design requires knowledge of CSS - Lack of workflow cloning or replication creates unnecessary work

Paola from Photoventura

A flexible and customizable tool that is easy to use and set up

This is an amazing tool that everyone looking to take their marketing efforts to the next level should get familiar with.

Pros

The flexibility that Customer.io offers, I yet have not been able to see in any other tool. It is very easy to set up and its lightweight user interface is robust yet simple to understand. On top of it, customer support rocks! I was answered right away for every little question that came up, so I didn't feel alone while working to set everything to my requirements. As for the features, I love the customer profiles: They are based on the email behavior of the users, and can also be adapted to match in-app behavior, if that's what you require. On top of it all, I love the price! Great value for the money.

Cons

I did need to triangulate some functions through Zapier because the tool did not offer them, such as gmail integration and Facebook triggers. Not sure if this is a con though, as Zapier does open up a whole new landscape of possibilities, but I guess those functions were not initially included in the tool so that's why I'm talking about them in this section. Other than that, no cons.

James from Max Analytics

Customer.IO makes life so much easier with email tracking, Saved my butt multiple times!

Pros

Customer.IO has allowed me and my company to feel confident that the correct information is being sent to the people who need it the most, our customers. The ability to view all emails that have been sent and to ensure they were received by the customer is a huge benefit to us. being able to see if a email was suppressed or bounce give the ability to ensure you can deal with the issue in a timely manner and get the info into the right peoples hands. it has also assisted us in dealing with difficult customers that claim they never received a email, however the application allowed us to show the customer that no only did they receive it they opened it!

Cons

the only negative i could see is that the application only allows you to send 50 emails at a time and for a large customer base this makes it more time consuming.

Very versatile segmenting, triggers and campaign flows.

Pros

I've been using CIO for an year and a half, and from the start I liked their clean UI and how visible everything is. Customer.io lets me be very creative when it comes to engaging people with emails. Their approach based on users behavior is fantastic and can create a lot of scenarios which would be hard to do with other tools. I can create really long flows that stretch for months, have each email in there be triggered or filter out users on the fly. Did I mention the awesome A/B tests? Very helpful support team as well.

Cons

I'd like an easier way to delete user profiles instead of mailing support to delete in bulk. Also, would love to have a way to download an automated report for all the campaigns instead of doing it manually.

Flexible but lacking some functionality

Pros

Good user interface that's intuitive. Easy to get up and running without prior knowledge. Creating segments is quick and simple.

Cons

Reporting tools are not very robust. For example, within Customer.io you can't sort or aggregate email campaigns to see roll-up metrics. Rather you'll need to export and sort in a spreadsheet or connect with 3rd party tools like MixPanel or Periscope.

Francisco from SHIPPING D.J.A

YOUR PARTNER TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR DIRECT CUSTOMERS.

I have had an excellent customer experience, thanks to it I keep up to date the list of clients I work with, communicate with them through personalized messages and thus be able to meet our customers.

Pros

I have been using this tool for several years to communicate with my clients, I am encouraged to use it because thanks to it I can send the newsletters and emails automatically to each client group depending on the profile, it is special to maintain a continuous communication with users , make them feel that we care and that communication is essential.

Cons

It is a very good communication tool, however customer service is poor, attention is very slow and the response to the requirements as well.

Bryson from TrackR

Industry: Consumer Electronics

Providing Unique Customer Interactions for Business

A highly efficient setup for automating emails to our customers. This individualized attention has vastly improved our relationship with our customers. They feel front and center and we save hours of time!

Pros

This software has been easy to use for setting up customer emails that are specifically targeted to their individual needs. Conversion tracking and other metrics for analyzing customer behavior are helpful for our team and its insights into what our customers want throughout their lifecycle journey. This software streamlines the process that would take hours upon hours of tedious work. This is a highly efficient tool to solve complex problems.

Cons

I think that one of the cons would be pricing. If pricing wasn't as steep for larger customer lists, this platform would be preferable.

Sebastian from Getsafe

Top Email and Push automation software

Overall great email and push notification automation software, that constantly develops.

Pros

Customer.io is great since it easily allows you to set up and automate promotional emails , but also allows to run transactional emails at the same time. This is a huge advantage over most email automation products, b/c you can trigger a promotional email without interfering with your system emails.

Cons

Unlike Pardot or Marketo, Customer.io doesn't have a solid automation builder. The builder is nice, but you can never see the tree of emails in a flow chart. It can easily confuse the user as you have to have a third-party software to organize the set up. It's highly recommended to put one full-time employee behind it.

Stephanie from Trucking Office

Great Software

Pros

I love customer.io! It keeps our company organized and allows us to send emails easily.

Cons

Nothing! Everything has been very easy to use.

Matt from Inspire

A solid email system with robust support for custom attributes

I am able to provide my marketing team with the ability to send complicated emails, segmented across our customer base, with customized attributes.

Pros

As a developer, working with the API is easy, predictable, and maintainable. The product supports complicated email workflows with customer-level attributes. This isn't your father's mail-merge. This is email for the 22nd century.

Cons

The lack of a WYSIWYG editor for my marketing counterparts (tho I hear rumors this is coming) and event-based filters in my workflows.

We were looking to migrate off of a superglued-tools situation and Customer.io was the solution

We were looking for a solution that could improve our customer success goals and reduce churn. Customer.io delivers as the go-to platform in this category.

Pros

We were using an email service provider and a Figma design file to manage and sync our customer messaging flows. We needed a proper solution, so we compared a lot of companies, and Customer.io seemed to be the most reputable.

Cons

The hurdle to learn and use the platform was a bit high, and there were areas of UX that could have used some improvement. But at the end, the platform is so quick and now as we are used to it, it does exactly what we need it to do.

Muhammad Syafiq from Glints

With enough money, Customer.IO is a good subscription to have.

Pros

The two things that I use, their Newsletter builder and their Campaigns builder, they are splendid. The builder is clean and easy to use. There are constantly checks on your dynamic variables to ensure that you are referencing the proper fields. As a software engineer that is interfacing with Customer.IO's API to send out notification emails to our customers, I have a few things to say about its API. It is easy to use and predictable. I did not have to spend many hours trying to send out an email. It was straightforward, fast and most importantly, reliable.

Cons

With regards to building a Campaign. Before dealing with the dynamic variables in your template, you first have to make it available to you. In other words, from your code, you need to send in the payload with the variables that you wish to reference. Then, the template will come to life with your sample data and you can begin to finalise your design. I just feel that maybe, if we can have a dummy data kinda workflow for the UI of Customer.IO, that would be cool.

Dana from Hemlane

Best customer service

Honestly -- they care so much about their customers. They listen to feedback and get back to you on issues or questions so quickly. Highly recommend their product.

Pros

- Easy to navigate - Newsletters and campaigns

Cons

- None yet -- maybe that I can't attach a file?

Kate from Mailshake

Wonderful for Transactional Emails, Not as Great for Email Marketing

Overall, I think all our issues with the platform are because of the way we initially set it up. Customer.io has now added new functionality that fixes most of the issues we've had. They're doing a great job of listening to customers and amending their roadmap accordingly. Overall, think it's got a bright future.

Pros

My favorite thing is that they recently added functionality to remove duplicate email addresses from sends. Thank goodness!

Cons

Segmentation is tough. And we set up our account based on customer ID so we have kind of a data mess in there (multiple accounts with the same email address). But as long as you're using it as intended, for customer communications, it's perfect.

Rahil from Endurance International Group

Automate your marketing campaigns with ease

An excellent tool for Automated Marketing campaigns and the product and support teams are extremely helpful

Pros

- Customer profile management - Hybrid HTML and Text Editor tool - Workflow set-up for Campaigns

Cons

Uploading Customer lists manually is slightly complicated

Chris from Tomodomo

An awesome way to connect with customers

Pros

When we build new apps or startup prototypes for clients, Customer.io is one of the most reliable tools in our stack. It makes customer communication SO easy and intuitive, allowing you to easily group customers into segments, trigger communications based on specific events, etc. The API is easy to use too, and makes it really easy to integrate with your app at a deep level. I couldn't imagine life without it!

Cons

The only real complaint is pricing. If you are bootstrapping and don't have a ton of money to spend, it can be pretty prohibitive.

An Advanced CLM tool

Pros

- The Features and customizations available

Cons

- The complications to bring about the automation.

Comprehensive Email Marketing tool

Great to build and send automated campaigns. Can improve its usability in sending bulk emails.

Pros

It is a really detailed tool. Found it very useful to send out multiple emails in a flow. Allows you to create a workflow through which you can plan the email sent to customers. You can even put conditions to send it to specific users. Provides a number of integration options with other tools to interconnect the entire process.

Cons

As I mainly use it to build and send emails. The creating emails part does get tedious at times. The drag and drop builder isn't the easiest to use. It also has a limited amount of templates

Response from Customer.io

Replied June 2020

Thank you for your feedback! We'd love to hear what additional email templates you'd find helpful. Can you email lj@customer.io with the details and LJ from our Product team will follow up with you.

Sara from Amazon

Great help!

Pros

Customer.io has been a life saver. It has been a huge relief knowing our customers are getting the correct information.

Cons

There are not many customization options. It is also limited to users that has large customer bases.

Customer.io: Email Automation tool for scale

We use customer.io for automatic and personalized triggers and this tool is amazing.

Pros

Workflow is easy to configure and very powerful for automation. You can configure the tool in such a way emails are automatically triggered whenever it notices a particular behavior. A/B Testing feature is really cool.

Cons

Integrating with other APIs is complex.

Georgios from King's College London

Extremely handy email communications

An excellent product worth its money and reputation. We use it weekly for external marketing communications.

Pros

I loved its compatibility and easy to use system. You can sign off an email marketing campaign with a few clicks.

Cons

Perhaps its limited design options in some cases, but its automation is still high end.

Michele from HMBradley

Customizable, easy to use, lots of features!

Pros

Building email campaigns have never been easier. Customer.io has many customizable elements to make very complex or very simple email flows. I appreciate how easy it is to use even for someone who isn't as familiar with marketing strategies.

Cons

I wish I could change the trigger type for email campaigns after I save it instead of having to create a whole new campaign when I make a mistake.