• Pros

• "I have had this software for over a year and it was really easy to use for the most part it was really organized..they have been around for a long time so i was impressed with their track record."

• "It's easy to build and get an email out of the door. The customer service has been pleasant to deal with when help is needed."

• "Super easy to use! Great templates help you create fabulous looking emails. "

• Cons

• "I had some user errors on my end but as far as the software i dont have any complaints that i can think of."

• "No cons, only wish I had used it sooner. it has made life easier "

• "There really aren't any cons. It does what it advertises. However, when you need something more robust like automation, you will need to upgrade to a different email platform."

Browse VerticalResponse Reviews

Gregg from ASSOCIATED CHURCH PRESS

Great looking e-newsletters!

There are a lot of email campaign tools out there and VerticalResponse is one of the best I've encountered for managing and scheduling e-newsletter distribution at a reasonable cost.

Pros

With VerticalResponse I was able to go from a spreadsheet of member names and email addresses to send my first e-newsletter in less than an hour. Easy to use templates guide content creation and offers flexible scheduling options that include social media posting. List management lets subscribers opt in and out without manual intervention and includes tools to build landing pages and links for subscription. Simple reporting is included in the free system and shows delivery/open rates. Advanced reporting allows a deeper dive into the analytics of your mail campaigns.

Cons

I sometimes wish the content blocks used to build the e-newsletter were a little more configurable - such as allowing more free movement of images and better font management - but the system makes clean looking e-newsletter that are actually opened and read!

David from IF Creative

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Easy to use, great intro price and hard to integrate in a fast manner to lead pages.

Personally I did not receive any benefit but that's not to say that there's not a place for it in the marketplace. For a small business or maybe a small church or small nonprofit doesn't need integrative approaches which I think everybody should but if they don't use them then this would be a wonderful email client for that sort of consumer.

Pros

They offer a great free option and their layouts are attractive and really easy to use. I had used them in the past and a decade later I return to using the product however although I enjoyed the templates the relationship was short-lived.

Cons

With one click integrations and the open API there are solutions out there that are much more effective at an integrated approach. I mainly use word press and I have found some great integrations out there but VerticalResponse is not one of them. Further they do not give you a lot of functionality and placement of the web form that collects data and then automates the email chain. Maybe I was missing work to do so, but it was frustrating that the web form only was in one vertical type of a set up and aesthetically it did fit the area on the website that it was dedicated to be placed. So for that reason alone I just continued use and return to a more familiar email client.

Ben from RI Fast Ferry

Longtime user, might not be the best option anymore

On the whole it does what I need it to, but I always contemplate searching out something cooler.

Pros

For the money, it gets the job done. We use VR to send out corporate newsletters and special offers a half dozen times a year.

Cons

I think the interface is lacking and really hasn’t been vastly improved since 2008 when I started using it. Basically, I’ve built my own HTML templates outside of VR and I just change copy and pictures as I need to and avoid using VRs WYSIWYG editor. Their editor and stock templates really aren’t very good.

Reasons for Choosing VerticalResponse

The monthly plan on CC was a dealbreaker for us. We prefer a pay as you use it model.

Easy To Use

My overall experience has been great. Outside of a few emails being blocked. But, that means the system was being protective and allowed us an opportunity to do additional cleaning of our lists.

Pros

What I like most about Vertical Response is that it's really easy to use. Once my contacts were imported, we were up and running. They offer many templates that can be used for various types of emails and eblasts. The entire process is simple and you can easily track how your emails are performing. They offer a lot of value for the price.

Cons

What I like least about Vertical Response is that the platform is limited. It's great for a startup business, but when your needs start to get more complex as your list grows, there's not much room for growth with appropriate features to match. Additionally, the features to allow new subscribers to your lists from outside sources were a challenge and didn't always work.

Michelle from Aconex

Gets the job done

Ease of use

Pros

This tool was very easy to use when we were starting out our email journey. The list upload process and email creation was simple. The software also allowed us to track performance, which contributed to other email tactics to test. It was also relatively inexpensive.

Cons

At no fault of the product, our needs grew out of the tool, so we upgraded to a marketing automation platform.

Diane from Brevard Symphony Orchestra

Industry: Performing Arts

Limited customization, freezes up often

Pros

I like the way the end product (email) appears. They look neat and clean and are easy to read.

Cons

The work that it takes to achieve the end result seems excessive. You click and drag a block into place then you have to go to the trouble of deleting what is already there in order to add your image or text. Finding the correct block for each aspect sometimes takes trial and error. It would be so nice if an image block could just be reduced or enlarged right there on the screen. When I choose my font, size, color, sometimes VR doesn't "remember" what I was using so I have to re-apply those things multiple times in each email as I proceed. VR also freezes up for me very (too) often. That may be my computer. However, when it does freeze up, even if I have saved my work just before, sometimes that work is gone when I reopen VR. This is the first email program I've used and it was in place when I began in my current position. Everytime I have to produce an email, I keep thinking, "there has got to be an easier way."

Daniel from St. Paul Lutheran Church

Vertical Response gets the word out!

My former church used VR to email electronic copies of the newsletter to all members for whom we had email addresses, which cut back on our paper usage.

Pros

When I did use VR at a former church, I liked the ease of being able to send email blasts to the entire congregation. The software itself is complex and is capable of many functions, but its interface is simple and user-friendly. In addition, the emails stick out from the regular commercial emails one receives on a day-to-day basis.

Cons

What I liked least about this software is that a occasionally, the VR email would end up in members' junk mailboxes--but that is the fault of the email server and not VR.

Aaron from nationwide access llc

A reliable email marketing company.

Weekly email marketing. Easy to use and affordable monthly plans.

Pros

It is really easy to use. No need to write codes so anyone can use it. You can link your social media accounts as well.

Cons

None so far. Weve been using this for more than 6 years now. We now use a monthly plan which makes it convenient and affordable.

Mass emailing made easy!

Pros

Vertical Response has great design features and templates to help businesses and organizations convey there messages in appealing ways. They help you organize email lists and contacts so that messages can be targeted to maximize impact.

Cons

Unfortunately, VR has a slightly higher bounce rate than some of the other softwares out there but it is not the highest. Additionally, it could benefit from an option to organize emails sent into folders.

Lindsay from Nampa First

Emails look good, but people don't see them.

Creating an email and sending it is super easy! The challenge is that our recipients, who have asked to receive the emails, have to search through their junk or clutter or trash email folders to find the emails. It is really hard to receive emails from Vertical response. When I first started receiving emails from our organization, I had to search for the email and move the email from junk to important multiple times. As an organization, we have actually stopped using vertical response, because it is not a good way to communicate with our recipients. It would be great if they could receive the emails and not have to search for them.

Pros

Super easy to use! Great templates help you create fabulous looking emails.

Cons

Our recipients don't get the emails. We have checked to ensure info is correct. If they can find the email in their junk folder, they will interact with the email, click on links, but still the next an email comes it will still go to their spam or clutter folder.

Chris from Trinity Church United Methodis

A Diamond in the rough!

I love Vertical Response. It makes it easy to time, share, send marketing campaigns across digital platforms and does so at an incredible price. (With a great incentive for non-profits!)

Pros

I love this software as it gives me the ability to send high-quality HTML e-mails to our groups. The design tools are nice and easy to use. It makes our marketing campaigns look great for a great price.

Cons

If you do not know about CSV documents it can be hard to upload lists and files to the server. A quick tutorial eases this problem.

Lakesha from Ascendancy Apps

Good

Claudette from DLD, P.C.

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

love using Vertical Response for my email marketing because it's very user-friendly

Convenient and easy to use. Has really helped our business gro

Pros

Easy to use and user friendly, had no problems learning this software quickly and proficiently. Just wish our office had discoveryed this sooner

Cons

There isn't anything so far that I dislike about this software. Easy to use, use friendly. Only wish we had found it sooner!

Great way to communicate with a large amount of people

I am able to communicate different types of information to many people in a minute or less!

Pros

Vertical Response has great customization features to be able to group users to send various types of communication. It is an inexpensive (free for most) way to communicate with a large amount of people.

Cons

I have not had any issues with it so far.

Easy to use and stable platform

Cons

Sue from Chihuahua & Small Dog Rescue, Inc.

Best Newsletter Software

Pros

Everything about Vertical Response is great. They have built-in templates for your newsletter or you can design your own. Very easy to use and you can have multiple mailing lists

Cons

You can't always know who has actually read your newsletter.

Work Arounds

Pros

It sends emails to who I want them to be sent to. Uploading contacts is easy.

Cons

If you've used another email marketing tool, you'll hate Vertical Response. First, you'll probably lose half your opens due to their emails getting stuck in spam folders. Second, in order to make your emails look as good as, a constant contact or mail chimp email, you better have some photoshop skills. I've had to upload entire sections of emails as images, because Vertical Response fights you every step of the way if you want to do any formatting or customization. Third, there's no garuntee your email will show up the way you intended. I've had three different people send me screenshots of three different formats of the same email. Again, if you want to make sure it's the way you want it, draft it up in photoshop and save the whole thing as an image. I hate Vertical Response. It makes my job more difficult and forces me to spend triple the time I normally would to make a decent email. Constant Contact and Mail Chimp are way better.

kalyn from Jericho Foundation

Best customer service!

Vertical response is a great option for small-large nonprofits or organizations who are looking for a mass emailer. The features are great with simple, customizable templates. It is a drag and drop system that allows you to pull text, photos, etc. with ease. You can deliver your message in a clear, creative way!

Pros

Easy to use! User-friendly with many options. Also, has a very low spam rate!

Cons

Have had a couple of glitches, email images not showing up, difficulty sending while in a foreign country.

Meghan from Borges USA - STAR Fine Foods

Vertical Response provides a convenient and easy way for our company to produce attractive e-blasts.

Pros

I really appreciate its straightforward and simplistic user interface. It makes it easy to put eblasts together in a snap.

Cons

It can be difficult to manipulate the layout of elements in the eblast. Sometimes I will move one thing and it will distort the entire layout.

lewis from Factory Originals

Industry: Wholesale

Email communication made easy

I have created content and emailed to thousands of email addresses . the process is fast easy and professional when done. I can customize lists and it helps me keep track of who has opened my emails. you can schedule follow ups for non-responders and track unsubscribes.

Pros

This is an amazing package. You can create campaigns from their templates and turn out beautiful professional content. Very customizable and easy to use , if you can type a letter you can use this. Prices are based on the amount of contacts you service and it is the best I have seen.

Cons

No cons, only wish I had used it sooner. it has made life easier

Lags behind more modern competitors

VerticalResponse is probably a reasonable tool for smaller businesses and organizations with slim marketing budgets and little need to mass communicate. For larger organizations with greater communications needs and higher customer expectations, this is probably not the optimal platform.

Pros

VerticalResponse was fairly early on the email marketing scene, so it's got a modest suite of features that have a proven track record. From a cost perspective, VerticalResponse is a pretty efficient method of communicating with customers

Cons

The flip side of VerticalResponse's early arrival on the email marketing scene is this: it simply hasn't adapted at the same rate as competitors and its overall usability has suffered as a result. Ranked against ConstantContact and MailChimp, VerticalResponse would come in third in user interface, third of visual appeal, and third in automation capability.

Sierra from SierraSDPhotography

Industry: Photography

Good value for mass emailing

It's a good value and once you have a template you like it works well.

Pros

This is a very affordable solution for sending mass emails. The templates are also very helpful especially if the emails you plan to send are all the same format.

Cons

It is difficult to rearrange photo and text boxes.

Kevin from Disruptive Advertising

Overall a decent email solution

Pros

I really like the list building and segmenting functionality, it provides a great email testing solution.

Cons

Designing emails isn't quite as simple, the templates aren't the highest quality and the customer service is merely adequate.

Lori from Black Pine Animal Sanctuary

You can't beat free!

Excellent!

Pros

I am so grateful that Vertical Response offers non-profits a solution at no cost to help us grow and achieve excellence in our communications.

Cons

I find some of the interfaces a little hard to figure out, but have never been stumped.

Yan from Premium Consulting

I've used Vertical Response for about two years.

Excellent community.

Pros

Vertical Response is a pioneer in email marketing and they had a very good community of marketers. I've learned a ton from them and the software was decent. Also the monthly newsletter "What's the topic, Popick" was interesting and useful.

Cons

I couldn't top up my account and Customer Service was useless. I just couldn't used their software. I'm sure that now situation changed.

Jeff from Pittsburgh Elite Volleyball Association

We are a non-profit and using this for mass mailing has been helpful.

It was a free service and enabled us to reach our membership with news and announcements.

Pros

The capability to make custom emails using a multitude of possible templates. Having the capability to import contacts and examine the the open rates and follow the effectiveness of any email campaign. Being a non-profit we were able to use the free version.

Cons

Sometimes the emails got caught in the receivers SPAM or so we think because many emails were not opened and we received responses or comments from our membership that they did not receive the emails that were sent.

francis from al-jawdah ceramics

Industry: Glass, Ceramics & Concrete

The Vertical Response Business Application

it saves times creating responsive email for business people, very engaging and does deliver the right approach to business needs

Pros

time saving application for business use

Cons

it create easy business responsive email

I used Vertical Response to send out newsletters and updates for a small nonprofit.

Free and easy to use.

Pros

Very easy to use, and very easy to get started. I did not have much experience in email marketing or HTML, and still found the templates available straight forward and understandable.

Cons

I sincerely do not have any negative feedback about this program. I would like to see more of how the reports & analytics could be built out.

Hasnain from Insideseed

Value for money for bulk email marketing

Pros

Very easy to use, a light on the pocket way to get started with email marketing. We used it for one of my previous organizations called SCNext to email flyers and updates to our members. Worked like a charm and plus the free version had many features which we rode along for a long time.

Cons

Customer support was not the best. Plus the product used to freeze up some times and required us to exit browser and re-load. Bugs in the system need to be ironed out. They may have already done it but my experience with it had some kinks

ram from HoMe

Marketing - Campaign - Analysis

VerticalResponse is a good choice for an email marketing solution when you also need advanced image-editing features. There's no guarantee that your contacts who use Gmail will receive your emails, though. Creating segmented email campaigns is also more difficult with this application than with the best email marketing services. However the templates and marketing responses were quite healthier.

Enrique

April from The Mesquite Group

Very helpful for a small non profit!

Pros

I love their new update! Being able to send the follow up email at a later date is so awesome. I can set it for 30 days and then not worry about forgetting.

Cons

The reporting options on the survey results needs some work. I would like to see percentages for each answer.

ramesh from MNC

Awesome Support

With it's robust feature set, Vertical Response can overwhelm a first time user. However, Vertical Response integrates seamlessly with social media and CRM software to provide a comprehensive email marketing platform. In addition, Vertical Response now offers a free trial to test their email marketing service before committing to paid options.

swati from MNC

Marketing Tool

This tool sends the marketing emails with beautiful templates Create signup forms with matching templates Schedule social network updates on Twitter and Facebook Autoresponders to welcome new signups to your lists Reports that show the reach of your emails and social networks

Emily from The Jar Community Church

Some features are frustrating

We use it weekly to send emails to our church community. I use it monthly to send an update to our partners.

Pros

I like that you can track reader engagement to see how many open the email and how many clicked on something.

Cons

I don't like that it doesn't have your emails automatically, and if someone unsubscribes they cannot be added back in even if they want to be.

A decent way to get in touch with your customers

The price is a bit higher than some of the alternatives, but it makes sending to your email contacts easy without the need for any special software

Pros

Simple to use to send to your customers all from a web interface

Cons

Hard to get support when you need it, things take a long time and sometimes it can impede your workflow.

Dean from GreyCastle Security

VerticalResponse Review

Overall, it was a valuable learning curve for my organization!

Pros

This software gets the job done. The best features is most likely the reporting visualizations.

Cons

The deliverability with a lot of organizations was extremely low, and I thought the pricing was pretty high in relation.

Lea from BWM

Email Campaign Designer

Pros

VerticalResponse allows you to create email campaigns and easily distribute them to your contacts and distribution lists.

Cons

Unfortunately, VerticalResponse's interface is a bit dated and very clunky. Compared to other options on the market, it is not as intuitive or user-friendly.

March 2016

Kavita from Desi Music Entertainment (DME)

Industry: Music

March 2016

It works, but there are better alternatives for less.

Pros

It does what it says it will - emails are sent reliably and the tracking functionality works well every time.

Cons

The cost is too high compared to other options which do exactly the same thing. There is no usability benefit to using this service, in my opinion.

Simon from Marketing and Advertising

Easy to use Email Broadcast tool

I'm able to keep my customers updated on a regular basis using my predesigned templates, saving me a lot of time.

Pros

It has a very intuitive layout and I found it very easy to use for the first time, enabling me to send updates to my customers.

Cons

There could be a few more price bands available

Alyssa from 2012

Easy to Use!

Great e-mail marketing tool that is easy to use and great design features. It allows me to personalize everything and really make a statement with my e-mails.

Ron from IVES Training

Software becoming dated

Pros

Relatively easy to create email template, upload list and send email campaign

Cons

Reporting functionality very limited and not user friendly.

Reasons for Choosing VerticalResponse

more familiar with UI, would consider switching now.

Denise from Hideaway Bay Beach Club Owners

Industry: Security and Investigations

Wonderful for my small side business

Pros

Vertical Response has been wonderful to be able to use to stay connected to my customers.

Cons

It would be nice to have easier less cumbersome ways of tracking who's opened, read, and bounced emails

Alex from LegalZoom

Hard to Use, Better Alternatives Available

We used VR for a couple months but were not happy with the reporting features. We were also hoping for A/B testing abilities in order to see which email subject lines, from lines, etc would perform better to our customer lists.

Edward