Browse ProtonMail Reviews

Jonathan from Digital Roar Inc.

Industry: Online Media

Best Email Service Provider Yet

We use both Gmail & Protonmail but may move everything over to Protonmail in the near future!

Pros

Privacy and security-focused. We especially liked that images and attachments aren't rendered until we approve them, helping block unwanted trackers. Spam blocking features are excellent. Amazingly smooth and modern interface.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that the longer domain name makes it a bit longer to type or spell out when you choose to use @protonmail.com

Juan from UruIT SAS

El mejor cliente de correo con máxima privacidad

Ha sido excelente, estoy desde que lanzaron la beta hace unos años. He tenido las versiones premium y free, he podido realizar migraciones de correos desde Google Suite. Para mí es la mejor opción de correo, incluso para empresas

Pros

Es un servicio encriptado de email donde prima la privacidad de los usuarios. Esto es fundamental y no todos los proveedores lo ofrecen, la mayoría mina tu información y la vende a terceros.

Cons

Al inicio puede ser un poco enredado comenzar a manejarlo

Reasons for Choosing ProtonMail

La premisa de privacidad es fundamental, debería ser un derecho.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

Google mina la información de sus usuarios y se lucra de esto. Me cansé de pagar por un servicio con una suscripción y con mi privacidad

Secure Email

I think it's a great email service overall and I plan to continue to be a customer for the long term

Pros

- It's easy to create and use several aliases and domains - The Catch-All Email is very useful when someone mistype the email addresses - The folders and tags are handy to better organize the received emails - As advertised, the product DNA is very secure

Cons

- The VPN can make the connection a little bit slower - Some emails have ended up in the spam folder of some contacts - I find it somewhat expensive (I'm on the Professional plan) but I'm willing to continue supporting the company

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

Security and because I didn't want to depend too much on Google

Vasilis from Edelweiss Productions

A weird ProtonMail policy

Until they blocked my email account because of a non-payment to the irrelevant VPN service I was very happy. The VPN is OK, having a secure core, not many servers as others but it's quite fast. My advice is - if you look for a VPN to check NordVPN, ExpessVPN, and ProtonVPN - they are all good. But IF you chose PROTON, make an account for VPN only and do not keep your important emails there because they are desorganized with accounts and better keep your mail separate from VPN in this case.

Pros

End-to-end encryption. Easy to use interface with search feature working fast. You can send encrypted email even to Gmail or any other provider, but encrypting the contents with a password - and the recipient can open it in a browser. He can also reply in encrypted mode even without having a protonmail account. In paid plans, you can also add your company's logo and seamlessly integrate encrypted proton technology. They also offer the ProtonVPN service, unlimited that is the only one offering no-limit VPN up to today (April 2021). The customer service is fast, very polite, and educated.

Cons

1. To make an account for ProtonVPN, you must first create an account for ProtonMail. Up to this - it's Okay. You may use both plans for free for years, and nobody will push you to move to a paid plan. BUT IF you move to a paid VPN service and for any reason, your card fails to renew the VPN, THEN they are ALSO blocking the INBOX to your email account until you pay for the VPN. I mean, they could stop the VPN or move you to a free plan, but to block email because you didn't pay the VPN... it's weird. 2. During registration, they push to put a credit card on the grounds to avoid spam. But there are other ways to prevent bots from making accounts. 3. do not encrypt subject lines but only the content of the email. 4. Subscription is relatively expensive compared to other providers. 5. Generally, communication with the support team is by Zendesk - an independent company. What about encryption here?

Pascal Bernard from personnel

remplacement de gg

Simple multi support très peu spamé. comme le bon vin, il s'améliore de plus en plus vite, très bon travail des développeurs.

Pros

Le système de cryptage et le pack en évolution avec proton agenda et proton drive qui arrive en fait un sérieux concurrent sans traçage à gg

Cons

drive cloud en cours de développement, agenda encore un peu jeune.

Reasons for Choosing ProtonMail

la sécurité des données, l'installation possible sur multi plate-forme multi os, Android sans services Google.

sécurité des données.

Aivar from HeedYou

The most secure email for your business, if you are ready for some extra steps

The fact that it is fully encrypted gives me a peace of mind about the sensitive business information not being leaked, which is especially important in the age of GDPR. Certain conveniences have to be sacrificed though, and the software could be improved.

Pros

Full scale encryption Great flexibility with a number of inboxes, aliases Less expensive than using alternatives

Cons

On a Mac, you have to install an app called "ProtonMail Bridge" for it to work with your email clients Protonmail Bridge often randomly logs out, and then it is a bit of a pain to log back in and sync everything up The spam filter is sometimes too aggressive and hides legitimate mail

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

For security and privacy reasons. I have nothing against Zoho, but they don't offer the same level of security.

Privacy has a high price

Overall I am quite satisfied with my experience with free ProtonMail plan so far. If I were to purchase and upgrade, I would consider a different provider, though.

Pros

The web client and mobile apps are easy to use, which is not something every email provider can offer. There is a built-in PGP support and other privacy-oriented features like expiring and password protected emails.

Cons

No IMAP/SMTP support without upgrading to a paid plan which is quite expensive comparing to other providers. Free users are therefore limited to the official mobile app which is not yet available in F-Droid.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

Mostly privacy concerns, free VPN was a nice addition.

Marcel from WEB<DIV>

Feel safe

I use ProtonMail every day and I feel safe when I send my emails with encryption.

Pros

I was looking for a good and safe email app that gives me the possibility to send encrypted emails to my customers. ProtonMail is the ultimate tool to do that. After the trial I payes for a subscription and integrated the mail functions with my domain name. I also got ProtonDrive, ProtonVPN and the ProtonCalendar, all secure. Now I send my invoices in a safe way without fear of interception and altering.

Cons

I found no flaws that I like least about ProtonMail. Perhaps the possiblility of integration of ProtonDrive in my Explorer, but I think that will come soon.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

I feel much safer with a product that is made to feel safe and anonymous.

Eduardo from Tixani Services

ProtonMail for Private and Confidential Communications

Very satisfied with the service. I've been using this with clients that require a higher level of privacy. Just using ProtonMail already sends a mental message to clients you value their privacy and security. I recommend it anywhere I can.

Pros

This is intended for encrypted, secure messages. Best used emailing with other ProtonMail users, so your email conversation stays encrypted. You can send encrypted email to other services, but it requires added steps for recipients. There's a good explainer by [SENSITIVE CONTENT] over at AllThingsSecured about the security. It's easy to tell people your email address too. You can receive email with the "@pm.me" domain (sending from this address is limited to paid plans). Storage was recently increased to 1GB for the free Basic plan.

Cons

The costs add up when you need this for a large team. One way around it is, get the paid Plus accounts for the staff that needs it and the free Basic accounts for the other non-critical users. Do note that if you need custom domains, you'll have to be on a paid plan.

Mary from NYU

As Easy to Use as Other Email Platforms, Better Security!

Pros

It is easy to use both on a browser and in the app. Just as easy as other email platforms, but with added privacy and security through encryption. If you are worried about other companies collecting information or giving out your info, this is the platform to go with.

Cons

It works great, would be even better if they expanded/added more apps for free (file storage/sharing, etc), like certain other platforms.

Alexandra from The Sophisticated Geek OÜ

Useful and secure that comes with a price

I think its a great, secure tool. But very hard to use for non technical people. Love the VPN functionality, and the new storage.

Pros

I love Protonmail. It is secure, I was an early user (due to having many geeky friends, who recommended it), but am hopelessly overburdened by the tech side of it. They have recently expanded by adding storage to protonmail, which was long needed. Their customer service that used to take ages is getting a bit faster as well.

Cons

I know it can do a lot, but if you're not a techie, you won't use a fraction of what is possible with the paid version- and that includes VPN, Proton bridge, etc. So if I want any changes to my account, email redirects or whatever else, I have to ask friends or my assistant to change it. Which- in case a protonmail admin has to fix something, can take weeks. It would be AWESOME if you had video tutorials for different needs!

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

I only switched my business communication- protonmail is way more secure than gmail.

Santosh from Empire9

A good encrypted email service with a good UX

Overall, looking at the server location, the reputation and the UX, I will recommend ProtonMail to people. However, the search function needs to be addressed pronto.

Pros

The fact that it is end-to-end encrypted and that the servers are based in Switzerland is what led me to Protonmail. The user interface is quite slick and comparable to Gmail.

Cons

The search functionality is a work in progress. The search only looks at the from/to addresses and the subject lines. Other encrypted emails such as Tutanota are able to search the content of the emails as well. This is most inconvenient.

UX issues.

Ralph from Grey Orb Digital

A privacy focused email service

Pros

One thing that makes Protonmail unique is that it's privacy and security focused and also encrypted. The security it provides is it's greatest feature. So, if you are concerned about security and privacy of your mails, you might want to look at Protonmail, but otherwise you'd do just fine with any provider. They have an Android app which is the only client that I've ever been able to make use of to access the service, and you can use browsers too, apart from those, nothing else has worked when I tried on mobile phones. I guess it's for security reasons, and probably intentional.

Cons

The free version is limited in features. If you want to enjoy the complete features of the app, you probably need to upgrade. You can only have 3 folders for organising your mailbox in the free version.

James from JTPerry And Associates

Industry: Executive Office

Ok as long as you don't need Customer Support

While I've been a customer of Protonmail for several years, the terrible customer service is about to send me looking for another service.

Pros

I like the privacy, but the web interface is clunky and requires a mail client of some sort. That requires the Protonmail Bridge which is ok - but an extra step to install.

Cons

For most problems, customer service is ok. But when you run into some difficult, you discover there is NO phone support. When you file a "bug report" you get a response, and usually a tech will response via email in 24 hours. But if the problem is not immediately solved, one email response per day appears to be the maximum they will do. Something that is not easily resolved may take days. It's also possible that tech ask the same questions that have already been answered.

Isabel from Isabel Azalia Portrait Design

Best way to get the government out of your email!

It's been great! It was tricky moving over emails from my former email server, but now they've solved that issue. I can star and sort my emails out as easy as other email programs and it's been great to use!

Pros

I love the security of ProtonMail! I'm sick of the government wanting to spy on us 24/7 and all the new ways they have found to single out anyone who thinks differently. I want my clients' personal emails to stay private and I'm thrilled that I found ProtonMail for this!

Cons

At the time, integrating this with my years and years of client emails was a pain in the butt. They have since added features which I've heard makes it so much easier.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

I was sick of the government having access to search through my emails. I want my client communication to stay private.

Casey from SolTec Health

Secure communication, No hidden costs

A+ experience all around.

Pros

Easy to use on my Apple SE. Sends and receives messages quickly. Intuitive interface. Had one issue (user based, that's me) and they contacted me directly with a personal email containing information specifically addressing my question to help guide me along....and that was when using the FREE email services....and then they followed up to make sure it helped. Amazing customer service.

Cons

That they didn't inform me of their product sooner.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

Privacy. Privacy. Privacy Then I read the reviews....and it's not owned by Alphabet/Google.

Tauseef from Writing and Editing

Good to use for most of the sites where you need a separate Email Address

I have been using the protonmail service for about last two years and suggested it to most of friends for their online work, either it's for making new instagram accounts, pinterest or something else.

Pros

This is an alternative of Google mail and yahoo and an easy to use software, ehich you can use with ease in most of your online services.

Cons

The most secure and easy to use software, and because of less users than gmail you can make your favorite email address and easily.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

I didn't made a complete switch from the gmail, as I still use gmail for most of my personal or business purposes but I think protonmail is most suitable service for some of my works, as i can get my required email address here easily.

Kathleen from TRANSLATION

Industry: Research

Protonmail arbitrarily auto-bans paid and free users with SPAM BOTS

Basically, I can NO LONGER USE MY PAID OR FREE Protonmail accounts for normal correspondence, because (1) it isn't really private and (2) they shut you off if you send THREE emails or receive THREE emails that their BOTS don't like. And if you complain, they falsely accuse you of bulk mail and punish you by shutting you off again! Overall, while the "Old Protonmail" was useable in Windows XP Pro SP3 for several years, I tried repeatedly to sign up for their "free VPN". Had no success downloading their software for this, it always landed "corrupted". Moreover, there was a "catch". You had to access their VPN dash board from Windows 7 to set p your VPN for Windows XP! Forget it! Then there was their software for downloading your own emails to back them up. THAT never worked, either, despite several attempts. Basically, Protonmail is an expensive waste of time, and it would be nice if new competitors entered the market.

Pros

Not much any more. I liked the "Old Protonmail". Relaxing colors. Accustomed to the menus. And it had a better, easier-to-use folder creation function.

Cons

I pay protonmail $150 USD a year for two accounts, and I have a couple of free accounts as well. This is to wake you all up out there who think that Protonmail is PRIVATE. It is not private. They now have BOTS that read your incoming and outgoing email and SHUT YOU OFF for nothing, arbitrarily banning you from using your own account, alleging "bulk mail" when there is NO BULK MAIL happening. On 24 Sept 2021, I sent a total of 3 emails, 2 to a bishop in Canada, 1 to a show-host about an interview he had done with a lawyer. The next day, on 25 Sept 2021, I RECEIVED 3 autoresponders from another show because I had used the FORM at their own web site to send them comments on their show and links to information related to their show. PROTONMAIL SHUT DOWN MY ACCOUNT AND BANNED ME on 25 September alleging "bulk mail" for 3 incoming autoresponders that day and 3 outgoing emails the previous day. Then, when I complained about this outrageous abuse, they accused me of sending "BULK MAIL" and BANNED me again for 48 hours more immediately after I had sent one REPLY email to an incoming email. That's all it took. Nothing more than that to be BANNED arbitrarily by these little commie pea brains who use BOTS to read your mail, shut you down for nothing, and then allege "bulk mail". The shut-off described above was in a free account. But they shut me off also using bots and for no reason, meaning also arbitrary, in a PAID account at $75 USD a year a couple of weeks ago.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

Eyeball ache trying to read RED font on white glaring background.

Tiara from Brightline

Email application with emphasis on privacy

This email application has very little learning curve, allowing you to get going quickly. Even just creating the email address took less that one minute it was that straightforward.

Pros

Protonmail is PGP encrypted, therefore you have peace of mind that no one is probing through your emails. It offers the ultimate feeling of privacy.

Cons

I've noticed that notifications seem to lag a bit, almost two minutes after an email hits your inbox. This can be frustrating if you are emailing someone back and forth in real time.

Secured way of Mailing

Best and secured way to mail.

Pros

It is one of the secured ways to mail. Better user interface and user experience. Fastest way to send and receive mails.

Cons

Storage will be less until you get a premium benefit.

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

Protonmail provides Encrypted mail service.

Pamela from SDRC

Nice interface but missing some key features

Overall, I am making it work to get the security of ProtonMail. However, the user experience is much less sophisticated than Gmail. Somewhat disappointed.

Pros

I really like the ease of setting up and customizing. I use both the web-based on my desktop and the app on my mobile device.

Cons

1) No way to schedule a future email. 2) Contact Group setup is too arduous becasue you cannout select all, you must do each contact one by one. 3) Contacts Filter does not display names alphabetically. Very hard to work with large groups. 4) Max recipients of 100 is too restrictive for the paid version!

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

Security and privacy concerns.

Alexander from Entegra

Light and secure

I cherish my privacy and ProtonMail helps add an extra layer of protection .

Pros

I'm not expert ,however did some research and it shows that ProtonMail is one of the most secure email providers you can find . Your data on it is encrypted and very hard to breach. The registration process was extremely quick and painless .

Cons

The interface outlay is confusing at the beginning . I am also not a fan of how similar emails are grouped together . It makes finding items harder . Spam filters also need to be configured .

A good alternative to the Internet giants

I use Protonmail on a daily basis. I will possibly stop using other mail managers and migrate all my contacts to Protonmail.

Pros

It is an extraordinary mail manager. It lacks nothing to become your favorite and daily use email manager. They guarantee an extra layer of security and privacy that other companies do not give.

Cons

The protonmail.com domain is not well known and some people receiving mail from this domain may think it is SPAM. This will be solved when Protonmail becomes more and more known.

Martin from Serotiny

Industry: Biotechnology

An alternative encrypted email account

Pros

Great alternative if you do not agree with data sharing policies and encryption standards of more common "free" platforms. All the functionality of a traditional email account, end-to-end encryption, does not constantly try to link you across other platforms and put all your personal information together.

Cons

The graphics is a little bit outdated and doesn't bring anything extra but it doesn't affect basic functionality.

Amin from Cleveland State University

It is nice, easy, and reliable

I wanted to try something other than outlook and gmail so I tried this service. Surprisingly it meets the standards of an email service. It is definitely not comparable to main email service providers but it is simple and get the job done.

Pros

ProtonMail is an end-to-end encrypted email service. So it is very reliable service. It has all main features someone may need and expect in an email service. Very easy to setup. The downside is its simple face which does not have features which for example gmail offers. It comes in two options; free service and the other service which you have to pay for it. I am using the free version. Overall, it is an easy nice service.

Cons

It does not have many features offered by other email services. For example when you send an email and all of a sudden you do not want to send the email that you just send, so you can undo the send process. This feature is available in other services but not in the free version of protonmail.

Nishit from Rac Coimbatore Gaalaxy

Protect your mails

I have been using this software for more than years it really good and safe to use. Once you get adopted to this you would nerver leave this software

Pros

Proton mail had one of the best security system when compared to other mail software. It is safe to use

Cons

The user experience is slight different in which you have to get adapted to it

Daniel from Sekishinkan

Protonmail is a great solution if you care about your privacy

Pros

Very easy to use, the free version is enough for me but they also offer different alternatives.

Cons

only 500 MB of space for the free account, "plus" plan offers 5 gb but 4€ /months seems a little high

Reasons for Switching to ProtonMail

I'm concern about my privacy

Abigail from Michigan Healthcare Freedom

Great security but....

I am midway with ProtonMail integration to email management. Time will tell whether it can function as my website sending email.

Pros

I like the security. It was quite easy to sign up, and customer service readily overcame the moderate difficulty upgrading to paid service.

Cons

Protonmail may work for beginning from scratch, but it does not allow a first send to more than 100 contacts. It was very difficult to find concrete sending limits until I had spent the time uploading my newsletter email list. The paid service connection to VPN was confusing. Customer service replied with many words but did not answer my questions.

Sending limits :) and security

Xhovana from L'oreal

Great customer experience, nice features.

Great overall experience.

Pros

Very useful features. Great customer experience

Cons

Ease of use- the platform I do not think it offers the best customer experience; Expensive prices for the upgraded plans.

Bhavik from Sri Krishna College of Engineering and Technology

Protonmail - The Mail Man

Great Mailing app to use with ease

Pros

Privacy and Security, Ease of doing business

Cons

I like all the features! There are no features I dislike!

Reasons for Choosing ProtonMail

More security and ease of use

No privacy

Alexandra from Ritchie Educational Resources

I love this app!

I love the way I can access

Pros

Encrypted email for my business account is great

Cons

Needs a better spam filter in my opinion

Stephanie from Joy Construction Copr

Good email .

I was tired of getting spammed with targeted adds in my older inbox and a friend suggested ProtonMail .I have been happy with it .

Pros

They have paid subscription,however the free version should be enough in itself for most people. You can import your signature or create it on ProtonMail . You can also import your contact list from other inboxes and that saved me a lot of time .

Cons

Especially at the beginning you get a lot of spam emails from ProtonMail ,some of which are starred ( favored) to appear more easily . They also group similar emails together and the older ones are at the top which takes getting used to .

Really good as a private mail

It's a very good option for nowadays, you can use it to get your personal documents, government papers, etc.

Pros

Encrypted security. Web, app and email clients. Trust because of the countries supporting it. Could import your emails and contacts from other programs.

Cons

Look and feel like Gmail. Search mails within it is not very functional. Just 500MB storage for free accounts.

Maria from Deloitte

With Proton, your e-mail content is safer than ever

Pros

I have been using ProtonMail for reliable and secure communication. Messages are secured by TLS and end-to-end encryption, which allows no feasibility for 3rd parties to have an access to your content.

Cons

Because of the encryption, one cannot search for message contents. I would be glad if they provide some secret query keys to decrypt messages.

Isabel Cristina from Enjoychange Solutions

It was prescribed to me

It is nice to have your information encrypted and secured, but the lack of integration into my workflow made it impractical for me... i just had too many addresses of email and little time, besides, my information is not that confidential.

Pros

I liked the idea that it was the most secure email to use.

Cons

I had to use the webmail and it was not possible for me to associate it with my outlook.

Michal from SD

Industry: Information Services

Secure private email service

It is absolutely sufficient if you want free and private email service.

Pros

It is located in Switzerland, which is considered a privacy haven, also it agrees with its reputation and it has absolute minimum of mandatory fields required to be filled.

Cons

The GUI could be a bit improved.. I don't like it personally. Most disliked are definitely those little refreshes on mail folders :D

Alexander from JollyWriters

Industry: Writing and Editing

Great way to protect your privacy

Empowering and utilitarian.

Pros

ProtonMail is a paid service. It's defining features are that ProtonMail doesn't collect data to sell about it's users, it encrypts all communications going between e-mail accounts, and it ensures privacy at all costs to its users. There is a free trial version available. If you're looking for an e-mail service that keeps your data safe ProtonMail is the ticket.

Cons

The cost of the service, however, compared to what your getting compared to other e-mail account services this is a minimal hassle.

Privacy is Priority

it’s a good experience but the software is not used as much due to extra encryption features. Makes mail sending abit more work consuming.

Pros

The software provides excellent privacy in mail sent, as their software is a fully encrypted email service. This allows users to be sure their mail is encrypted and not read by other people and only can be read by the designated receiver.

Cons

when using the free mode, the user needs to switch from the app version to the browser version in order to view the encrypted message. waste of time and not seamless user experience

David from Christians Alliance

Secure email in an age where privacy is elusive

Great software if you value your privacy and need a mail service to send sensitive documents.

Pros

I love the fact that the UI is clean, and best of all, no external remote images are displayed in the emails by default. And if all that wasn't enough, the servers, and therefore my data, are located in Switzerland. Switzerland, with its strong data privacy laws, is the country of choice to house the sensitive data of its users.

Cons

The user interface is clean, but it is not intuitive. Many areas of the mail service were hidden behind obtuse titles and confusing icons. Additionally, the service is a little expensive

Nicole from Railroad Earth

I Love Protonmail!

ProtonMail is now my favorite email to use.

Pros

This is the most private email I have found. I love that there is no spam and for this reason it is also a good email for children. Messages can be encrypted between users which is helpful and fun aswell. Users can choose to have the country ending for Switzerland, .ch, which is extra secure and I recommend.

Cons

I only wish I had discovered Protonmail earlier!

Jorge from Gordian Knot Games LLC

Industry: Computer Games

ProtonMail: Great for Protecting Your Privacy

Overall, I think Proton Mail is a great way to protect your privacy.

Pros

I really enjoy the peace of mind you get from knowing that sensitive email contents are encrypted and protected. Other email companies might collect and sell your data without you even knowing.

Cons

Proton Mail doesn't have as many features as Gmail (google docs, photos, youtube), meaning that you trade some functionality for privacy.

Util en su momento

Pros

Al momento de agregar el correo es de fácil comprensión y servía bien en su momento.

Cons

No encontré nada extra o diferente que incentivara a seguir usándolo.

Laurent from Kaus-Australis

Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Bien sans plus

Très moyenne

Pros

Rapide et simple d'utilisation nombreux paramètres

Cons

N'est pas reconnu auprès de certain et chaque message envoyé par ProtonMail tombe dans la boîte spam de Gmail et orange pour ne citer qu'eux

Reasons for Choosing ProtonMail

Pour sa soit disant qualité suisse

Works perfectly

Pros

Great product. Offers very good security and privacy

Cons

The amount of emails you can do at Protonmail is questionable. The memory is not that big - on the other hand the emails are at least well encrypted