Review Highlights

Pros and Cons

• icon"Integration Step I Liked the Most. Just Add Your Domain Verify Records & You are Ready to Go With SMTP, Easy to Setup & Now Cheaper Plans."
  • icon"Admin panel offers great reporting. Lots of technical guidance on effective bulk sending."
  • icon"Onboarding was great as well as customer service which we contacted on different occasions and always got back to us in a timely manner with a helpful response."
  • icon"They can suspend your account without previous notification or warning, clear information about suspension is not offer until you take a ticket and ask them."
  • icon"We do tend to go to spam a lot and when looking at Sparkpost, the lingo is very confusing unless you have someone who understands code."
  • icon"Got flagged due to spam for having a link for acuity scheduling in a follow up sequence without even sending more than 4 test emails to myself."

Have you used SparkPost and would like to share your experience with others?

All SparkPost Reviews

Lucas

Bulletproof API mail delivery with OK freemium tier

I use the SMTP integration to send administrative alerts from my web servers. I appreciate the reliability of deliverability for these critical messages. I prefer to offload the responsibility of sending email from my web servers so they can do the job of hosting. The other benefit I get is that my SPF and DKIM settings can be static for all domains I host instead of tying my sending IPs to my hosting IPs, which have the possibility of changing. I can also easily whitelist delivery of my admin alerts to make sure I receive critical information instead of it accidentally being sent to spam.

Pros

API delivery is super simple and offers SMTP server-based injection Easy to set up DKIM and SPF Freemium tier meets my needs for basic services Admin panel offers great reporting Lots of technical guidance on effective bulk sending

Cons

There are other services that offer higher send limits with their free tier, but SparkPost purports to have better deliverability. This seems a fine tradeoff for the lower limit at the free level since I don't come close to hitting my cap.

Reasons for choosing SparkPost

The deliverability that SparkPost claims is what swayed me to choose this product over the competitors when selecting a service for my critical administrative message delivery. The free tier was also much more on par with the other services when I signed up. Though the monthly limit has since dropped, I still stick with SparkPost because it's not failed me so far.

Wilco

Good service to make sure your emails will arrive where they should

Pros

I never had the problem of an email not arriving or getting into the spam folder after installing Sparkpost. It has an easy to install WordPress plugin that makes sure all emails that are sent by the website get sent via Sparkpost. Before installing Sparkpost we had several clients complaining that filled in contact forms would land in their spam folder but we haven't had the problem after installing Sparkpost. It is also very cheap to use. For our use-case we haven't even gotten above the free threshold.

Cons

It can be a hassle sometimes to activate a domain for sending, requiring altering the DNS of the website. You can also activate it via an email address associated with the domain but this doesn't always work great either. After a domain has been added to another account it can't be added or transfered to a different account afterwards without the old account deleting the domain. We had this problem with one client for which we couldn't activate Sparkpost because it had been installed by another party before and we didn't know who this was so we couldn't ask them to remove the domain from Sparkpost.

Bernhardt

Not a service you want to rely on

I can only warn anybody who relies on their mail being sent to use sparkpost. We used sparkpost for more than two years. It seems that several months ago they added some automated abuse detection which flagged our account. We only use sparkpost to send transactional mail to our customers and do not send unsolicited marketing mails or similar. When our account got suspended we couldn't reach anybody to fix this for hours. After finally getting into contact our account got activated again and we just received a standardised "Sorry" E-Mail and that's it. We haven't had the resources to switch out our mail provider and now after 6 weeks our account got suspended again. After not being able to reach somebody for hours, the person we got in contact with only told us that some other department was responsible for account suspensions. This service absolutely terrible and you definitely do not want this as a critical part in your architecture.

Pros

Templating for emails API functionality Admin interface

Cons

Service reliability. We got suspended not once but TWICE. And couldn't get into contact with the right customer support person. Our whole business relies on messages/orders being sent, so this is really frustrating. Asynchronous nature of API. When you send a message you always receive an "200 OK" Status Code. To get to know if a message got successfully sent you need to query another API.

Response from SparkPost

Hi Bernhardt, thank you for taking the to leave this review. In order to protect all of our senders against potentially bad actors or bad sending practices that would affect sending pools, we have a strong Messaging Policy that we enforce posted on our website (https://www.sparkpost.com/policies/messaging/). If you feel this does not apply to you, you can always write in to compliance@sparkpost.com to try and remedy the situation. Thanks again and have a wonderful rest of your week!

Replied November 2019

Alessandro

August 2022

Accounts get suspended without warning or notifications

Pros

I liked the simplicity of setting up and the possibility to manage sub-accounts.

Cons

Support. Our account got suspended for more than 24 hours without a notice or reason. They simply re-activated it after 48 hours without explaining what happened. This affected the platforms of over 40 customers! Just unacceptable!

Nitya

May 2022

Our user verification and engagement is powered by SparkPost

Pros

By integrating SparkPost's API with our database and marketing automation tool we are able to run user verification and engagement campaigns. Sparkpost has the best email delivery rate. Documentation that is clear and complete and great customer service.

Cons

You need to warm IP address before sending bulk emails. To use SparkPost, you must use a third party tool.

Caroline

Good, but some features hard to view

We inherited the tool from another product team, and it is very integrated, so hard to remove - but also does work well in the sending of our automated emails. There is very little down time which is great. We wish the filtering was less cumbersome/sensitive and that there was a larger window for seeing past emails than 10 days.

Pros

I like that it is integrated with our systems - it does work smoothly and the analytics are helpful for reviewing open, close, bounce, etc rates.

Cons

I found that the standard 10 day window to see past emails too short - especially when we have a 14-day subscription warning - I can never see the emails we sent when customers write in to ask about it. This is something we can upgrade, but it seems expensive for 4 extra days of view. The filtering capability is also VERY fickle, and it feels very cumbersome to search for emails, domains, sent days. etc.

Joe

Can't beat the price, but usability could be improved

The Sparkpost team is clearly committed to improving their product, and they care about their customers. For anyone who's happy to use the API for configuration, using Sparkpost is a no-brainer.

Pros

Sparkpost is very reliable for transactional email sendings, and the free plan provides unbelievable value.

Cons

Some Sparkpost features cannot be altered via the dashboard, and therefore require some API/programming knowledge to change - however this is improving.

When it works it works great

Pros

Super easy to get started. We just use this as a secondary SMTP relay. The one time use API keys for the relay seems more secure then other offerings.

Cons

Reporting and user interface isn't as good compared to SendGrid. It's just lacking the ability to search for specific messages. It's also hard at times to figure out where you need to go to find the information you need. We had several issues consistently delivering mail to specific customers, but perhaps that's because we were on the free tier.

Prateek

Generous free plan, but not such reliable services

Sending transactional emails

Pros

The free plan was extremely generous, more than other competitions. Setup is also quick, and good documentation to get you up and running.

Cons

Sometimes, there was a very long lag to Microsoft emails (i.e. Outlook, hotmail) - where emails were delivered more than 2 days later. Emails to Gmail however was unaffected. Inspite of exchanging several emails with the customer support, the problem was not fixed.

I use Spark post for email campagins

Pros

I love that they offer so much to you beyond the emails. They contact you with webinars, and offer help in any capacity.

Cons

Still learning the program and features, they are so helpful that I don't think I will find any issues

Hamza

Industry: Publishing

September 2022

Very Impressive with new look of spark post dashboard

Pros

Very Impressive with new look of spark post dashboard, as they have made too much improvement in dashboard to view bounce and sending ip ratio, one more thing is that they shows sending IP's with accurate ration that how much emails delivered , opens, spam and bounce e.t.c

Cons

Currently i dont have cons for the service, as it is cost effective for me

Julen

Sparkpost has a dalily limit of 1000 sending emails, even for paid plans

Very frustrating experience, with the configuration process and with the limits to use the service. I switched to mail gun and i very happy.

Pros

Has a nice Look and feel. Deliverability rates i seems to be good. but i can't tried with my complete list of contacts because SparkPost limit account to send only 1000 emails by day, even after pay for a professional plan.

Cons

Very complicated to configure sending domains. Sub-accounts management is not user friendly When you open a nwe account you have a limit of 1000 emails to send daily. Its ridiculous whe you manage list of 50M emails.

Response from SparkPost

Hi Julen, Thanks for your review. However, we do not restrict daily sending limits to 1000 per day on paid accounts. If we did, we'd be out of business. Some of our largest customers send 1B+ emails per day. I would suggest logging a ticket with support inside the app to help you with configuration.

Replied May 2019

Great Transactional E-mail service that get the job done

We use this on all our projects to handle transactional emails, this has definitely been a useful software, it's great all round but event webhooks that are domain specific would be great

Pros

Obviously its ability to send transactional emails. It gives insight on a user's activity in-relation to the email you will have sent which make studying trends easy. Great email event filtering tool It offer an adequate amount of free monthly e-mails for large services.

Cons

The API for getting events for emails sent doesn't have an option to set different endpoint for different domains. I can't view contents of an email sent, it'd be great if it stored an actual copy of the email being sent It can be slow to send messages at times.

Response from SparkPost

Thanks for your review and your feedback! We have passed along your suggestion to our product team. Would you be willing to chat with them for further feedback?

Replied May 2019

Leonhard

Full-featured API-first ESP with great support

Pros

We love the ability to integrate our own software stack at will (e.g. through the maintained sparkpost-python package or Webhooks) and have SparkPost just provide a solid general purpose interface. The reports section in the dashboard gives us everything you expect. Onboarding was great as well as customer service which we contacted on different occasions and always got back to us in a timely manner with a helpful response. This company and employees clearly know their (tricky) business. Hope the A/B testing feature graduates from their "labs" and finds it's way into the stable product API. Received a great merch t-shirt for filling out one of their developer surveys (now everyone on the team wants one...). No matter whether you fall under the generous free plan (100k) or need to scale really hard - a lot of other services will impose strict limits on your budget when you start sending a million or more emails per month. Simple summary: We're happy users and can recommend to everyone. Rock on!

Cons

Would be great have access to more detailed billing stats. The missing piece really is solid "email templating" but then you have to understand that SparkPost is not in the market for that and give you the tools (expose API endpoint for that) to instead integrate your own solution.

Great, generous offerings for users grandfathered into their 100k free plan

Pros

I switched to SparkPost from Sendgrid because of their more generous free plan back in 2016, and found it easy to drop in replacement code/API snippets to transition to SparkPost

Cons

All good things must come to an end and the 100k/month tier is no longer offered! Good while it lasts, though one wonders if the now grandfathered plan will one day end.

Response from SparkPost

Glad you're enjoying the service! We do not plan on un-grandfathering anyone who took advantage of the 100K free plan back in 2016. But we do want you to be successful, so hopefully your business will grow and you'll be sending a lot more than 100K emails/month eventually. Best of luck and Happy Sending!

Replied June 2018