• Pros

• "Easy to use and no downtime at all. Best time tracking app I've ever use."

• "It's quick, the interface is fabulously simplistic and the reports are great."

• "The app design is clean and easy to use. Reports are great, I can check how time is spent throughout the day."

• Cons

• "Not a huge complaint, but occasionally takes some time to sync."

• "The only caveat I would say is that you need to think about how you want to break your projects into tasks and groupings in order to get the most out of your reports. But that is easily overcome. "

• "While not expensive, I still wish the starter app was slightly more affordable for individuals like me who just need basic calendar/tasks integration"

Browse Toggl Reviews

Giacomo from Udeis Consulting

It does it, right!

Pros

I subscribed to Toggl specifically and only for the time tracking feature since I was looking for a tool allowing me to keep track of the time I spend on single projects while my day is often fragmented in several activities for different customers and projects we need to track on hourly base. For this reason, I was looking for a tool allowing me to do just that: I didn't want to spend more time creating milestones and tasks and planning work ahead of time, I just needed to start a timer, track the time, stick it to a project and, at the end of the month, get a report of it. Well, Toggl does just that and it does beautifully. . . . And Toggl says it took me 10 minutes to do this review. Done.

Cons

I'm pretty sure that Toggls isn't perfect, I wouldn't be objective otherwise but up to now, I didn't find something I find missing or could be improved. I didn't feel any lack of features since I was basically running away from overly featured tools and found one that has just what you need.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

I was looking for a tool with just a time tracking feature, not a project management tool and TogglTrack allows you to do just that without distraction or hours of milestone and tasks setup when you don't need them.

Lisandro from Plus The Core Inc

Toggl is the best time tracking software

We've been using Toggl in our business for over a year. It's key to track the time it takes to do certain tasks. We didn't know that when we started and we weren't tracking anything. When we found that out, we started tracking our times manually (writing the time of start and the time we ended in Evernote) This activity itself took too much time. But when we discovered Toggl it was productivity-changing! It's essential for our daily activities now. We considered many options like RescueTime and others I don't remember but found Toggl to be the most straightforward/easy to use

Pros

How EASY it is to use the features. I love that it remembers past entries so you don't need to retype any frequent activities. Also, the reports are really detailed. And I really appreciate it when I get an email from Toggl because I forgot to stop the timer; really useful!

Cons

The fact that it has not a mobile version of their site. The Toggl app was a total mess since the day I installed even though they tried to fix the issues updating the app several times (and even making a NEW app) but with no results. So when using my phone, I rely on their website to access my Toggl timer and reports but it looks terrible on phones. Also, their reports are not directly accessed via the Toggl desktop program but it opens the website (so when I have no internet access I cannot see it; it would be cool if I could).

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Toggl looks more easy and intuitive. It doesn't have many robust features but that's what made it the right option for us as what we really wanted was simple: track time and get weekly reports and Toggl is more than capable of doing that.

Brian from BrianSwanick.com

Since 2015, Toggl has been my only time-tracking app

The basic time-tracking aspect cannot be understated, it's dead simple to use out of the box. I have used other time-tracking apps that turned out to be bundled together with invoicing and I simply don't need that. I bill fixed retainers and only record hours for internal purposes so that I can course correct if I am ahead or behind on work and fix time-sucks. Other tools like Harvest wanted to integrate it all and it was heavy. I can't remember how I found Toggl but it was perfect. I had a hard time understanding the difference between Clients & Projects, at first. It was easy to pick up but I think I got confused with a UI change years ago. No problems since.

Pros

Out of the box, simple to use. Simple pricing and a free tier. The reporting is really simple but has 4 default views. This makes analysis really easy, knowing that I can see my work for an individual client over the course of a week, month, or year with just a couple clicks.

Cons

I have found the latest UI update has made clicking the Start button in the web UI to be pretty slow, I end up having to click it twice a lot and that is annoying.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Simplicity. I don't need a bundle. I use Quickbooks for invoicing now and I plan to stick with Toggl until I am forced to move.

Janen from Lightning Accounting

A Great Standalone Time-Tracker

Toggl is a simple software for simple needs – top level project management and time-tracking. And that's perfectly fine as long as you don't need anything else. If you are a freelancer who bills by the hour and just needs to track the billable and non-billable hours of the project then this is it. Toggl lets you do just that. When your needs get more complicated and you get tired of using 15 different apps to manage your projects then you naturally start looking for other alternatives.

Pros

I started using Toggl as I needed a good project and task management tool with a native time tracker. I put a major emphasis on the time tracking part and Toggl has a free plan, which makes it an obvious first choice. Toggl does have some definite pros – its time tracking is extremely simple and practical. Toggl has a good mobile app with calendar features. If you are a freelancer or work in a small team and your project management needs do not require too many features – or it's not a problem to use other software to satisfy any additional needs – than Toggl just may be the most practical choice. Its simplicity as a time tracker is its greatest strenght.

Cons

Toggl's simplicity is a major downside when there are layers of complexity that you really need from your project management system. Though this may have changed depending when you are reading this review. Toggl has (as of September 2020) 2 more apps aside traditional time tracking: Toggl Plan for simple project management (Kanban and timeline features) and Toggl Hire for recruiting. These are new features launched in 2020 and it seems that the company is going to crank out new features regularly – so stay tuned. But it seems that the company's chosen customer base are those who enjoy simple software experiences that require a pretty low learning curve. If that's for you then great, but if you enjoy a sandbox that allows you to build almost whatever you want from scratch then Toggl likely isn't going to satisfy you for very long.

Simple, elegant, reliable

I've been a Toggl Track user for several years, on and off, and have found it to be one of the most pivotal tools for maintaining my productivity. If I have a timer running for a particular task, I'm far less likely to switch tasks until it's done. It's remarkable how such a simple tool can have such an impact on my stress levels, too. Since I'm a solo user, I've only used the free account, but it's more than enough for my needs. While there are several similar products on the market that will do basically the same job, it's the simplicity, clean interface and integrations that keep me loyal to Toggl. Aside from keeping me on track day-to-day, the data it generates is very valuable when looking at how I'm spending my time over weeks or months. This helps ensure I'm spending the bulk of my time on the jobs that matter most (it's shocking how much time email can suck out of your day if you let it!) The recent addition of the Timeline view makes it easier than ever to fill in the holes throughout the day where you've forgotten to set a timer, giving a complete picture and breakdown of your days.

Pros

The simplicity, clean interface and numerous integrations. I should also highlight the stability and reliability. I can't rate the customer service because I've never needed to contact them!

Cons

There's very little to criticize here. What it sets out to do, it does extremely well. As a fan of the Pomodoro technique, I feel this function could be improved in Toggl. I'd prefer it if it didn't automatically stop the timer, but rather gave me the option to trigger a break after a set time.

Bigue from Aérospatiale

Simply the best time tracking solution freely available for self-employed and freelance

Toggl is simply wonderful, very close to perfect to me.

Pros

I was tired of wasting a fortune with paid services just to track the time spent on an handful of tasks when working for my clients. I tried a few solutions out there, but all were paid, loaded with features that I didn't even need, and were a bit of a mess to navigate through just to manage my hours of issue a simple time report. I'm so glad I found Toggl : the basic free tier offers everything I need, has a sleek interface and is a bliss to use on a daily basis. Just select the project, type what you're doing and hit the "start" button to start tracking. Every previous task has a "start" button, it's as easy as one click to resume work on an existing task ! Editing time entries is as intuitive as editing text, and generating full-fledge, good looking detailed reports by client/project/task type for any time period is as easy as checking a few boxes and selecting the dates. The free version has everything you need for perfect time tracking for a single person. Simply perfect.

Cons

None, really, apart from a few very minor annoyances I found with the browser UI : - Some quirks when editing time entries, but you get used to the way the time editing UI works with experience. - In some specific states, clicking the "start" button has no effect, so you end up not having tracked your time after doing a task. It still happens to me from time to time. This can be annoying, so I have to keep a vigilent eye the status icon (browser tab icon) when I'm working on something.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Because the free version offers all I need, in a simple intuitive sleek interface !

We have been tracking our time for many years

We started using toggl more than five years ago as task tracking, timesheet generation and reporting. The data has provided insight into how much time is spent on random things and how productive one's team actually is. And helps project managers to plan and achieve realistic timeframes. I haven't made use of the premium features. However the features available include multiple workspace (I have one for my personal projects), manual & live time tracking, calender view, a game-like achievements , coloured clients, projects, tags and export & reporting tools. I have and will recommend Toggl

Pros

The app and most functions are free for teams less than 5 members. This is great as we are a minute company. The desktop app is great to use to track your time, task switching and can setup hour intervals with a notice popping up to remind you to track your time..

Cons

The recent colour change to pink/purple is a bit weird on the user interface. But that's just my subjective opinion

Sagar from Patel-Apps Pvt Ltd

Easy to use, Effective, Efficient and Productive

I have been using Toggl for more than 6 months. It helps me to see where and how much time I am spending.

Pros

1. Available across all major platforms like Android, Apple, Windows and Chrome. 2. Tags. 3. Reports. 4. Suggestions of time entries based on history as we write to enter new time and task entry.

Cons

1. Lags too much. 2. Errors in automatic tag entries. 3. We have to stop timer first to enter manual entry.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Toggl gives proper, more effective and efficient report when we export it.

Agnes from Góborné Jámbor Ágnes

Best price/benefit choice for time tracking

Very useful for easy time tracking and quite easy to prepare time reports. Mobile applications support place independent working time tracking. Very useful software/application for time tracking in case of multiple projects and supports time-based billing for clients. As freelancer business consultant I consider this software as one of the most important tool I use especially for remote projects. I also used this tool for time estimating and/or time measuring for process implementation/reorganisation projects I would highly recommend for everyone who works remotely, bill on time-based or wants to measure time requirement for any purpose. Overall I am really satisfied with this product, only smaller features would be useful. Currently I use the free version, but I consider to swith advanced versions and pay monthly/yearly fee for it.

Pros

Easy time tracking Reporting and download reports Multiplatforms and applications for mobile devices

Cons

Project and task selection/assigment - time consuming task/project selection in case of many tasks Lack of report variant saving (e.g. saved selection criterias of time reports for clients, projects)

Easy Tracking, Easy Reporting

I love how simple it was to setup, to modify, to get reports, and to track my time. This web application is just what I need!

Pros

I like that this sync's between the web app and the mobile app seamlessly. I also don't need to keep the app open for it to track my time.

Cons

I don't have anything to offer for this question.

Bruno from Royal HaskoningDHV

Industry: Civil Engineering

The best time tracking app!!

Before I used an Excel sheet to record what projects I worked on, from what time to what time... and that needed a lot of maintenance, and I eventually stopped using it. With Toggl Track I can see which days I worked over time, or under time, so that at the end of the week I can compensate, and when it is time for timesheets, I can go to Toggl and see how much time I spent on which projects. It is also useful when you have a time budget for a specific task, I can compare the time spent VS budget, and see how I can improve (work more efficiently). Toggl Track has made tracking time easy and effortless.

Pros

The first thing that I liked when I started using Toggl Track is how the app looks. For something you will use everyday, it must have beautiful design, and in my opinion this app is well designed. Second for me is how practical it is to log the time entries. Some apps are online only (which I am not a big fan), and this app allows time to be tracked on a windows app, android, apple devices, internet browsers... I used the Windows app the most because I log my work hours and I work mainly on a laptop. Third is how easy is it to find relevant information about time tracked, or time reports, and Toggl Track gives me weekly reports with all the projects I worked on, it can give how much time I have spent on a project overall, and recently we can see our time logs on a calendar view (very useful).

Cons

One feature I felt was missing is the Google Calendar integration, but I received a notification today to inform me that the feature is now available for beta users, so it is coming (and we do have the option of URL for paid users). In general I don't like monthly subscriptions, and I prefer to avoid those when I can... and I would gladly pay for a once-off fee (reasonable for my corner of the world)... but the free version does all that I need from the software, so I can't really count that as a negative really. I am not a big fan of the pink app color... but don't hate it either... just wish they picked a different color.

Best Time Tracker, hands down!

My time was slipping away and I didn't know where it was all going. Waiting for files to render means 4-10 minutes of time twiddling my thumbs; then picking up on some other task like replying to emails that I would like to do for the ten minutes. That quickly turns into 40 minutes and then the momentum is gone! I don't know how long Ive been working on what and then all of a sudden its 5pm and its all over! Toggl makes the day seem worth it. When you can accurately track your time you can see where you are slipping up; going over; losing money and it helps get over the pitfalls of a busy and variety filled work day. If you work with multiple clients, have many different types of tasks, or you want to know how much to bill a client (a function I didnt use it for as I work for myself) Toggl is the job. I can think of so many more uses for it that don't apply to me or my business but its robust and really well integrated with loads of other apps.

Pros

Toggl is so easy to use! There is an auto function that gathers info on what you are doing on your computer and you can then review the items in 15 minute chunks; by app, by webpage or by document. Its such an easy way to automatically track your time so you aren't fussing with buttons etc. Really easy and beautiful interface too. The app integrations are great and work with apps like Asana and Trello really well.

Cons

Some small bugs when switching from apps too quickly and the mobile app doesn't have the same amount of functionality as the desktop version (which is to be expected of course) Other than that its pretty solid.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Toggl had the integration with Asana and has the auto tracking feature

A solid offering in the time-tracking space.

Overall, it does what I need to. I have tried many MANY time tracking softwares over the years, including the time tracker included with FreshBooks - which you would think I'd use as it integrates directly with my billing - but I kept coming back to and using Toggl, despite the few hiccups I encounter.

Pros

The key for me here is its ability to integrate with my project management software: Asana. Beyond that, I think they have a good cross-platform presence with their easy-to-use mobile app and, desktop (Windows) app and web app; I use all 3 regularly but the desktop client the most. Oh yeah, and the Chrome extension.

Cons

Its cross-platform nature also proves to be a challenge (at lest for me). There are 4 places I set it up (see Pros) and sometimes they conflict / send duplicate messages / aren't in sync or don't sync very quickly. If you're on one computer, this isn't an issue but when moving between devices this isn't as seamless as I'd like. Part of this might be attributed to my own connectivity challenges at times and the configuration of each client on every system. The thing is, I don't need notifications from the web app and desktop client and the desktop client on my laptop next to me. But the Chrome extension is required to sync with Asana and I prefer to use the desktop client when, well, I'm at my desktop. So... short of going in and honing which notifications show where, it remains an issue. I have done this, yet I tend to format my system a few times a year and having no way to "remember" these settings becomes a pain. I also spend more time than I'd like correcting tags, and making sure tasks are categorized properly. There's an odd bug in the Asana integration that forces me to use a mouse to add tags rather than keeping my hands on my keyboard. A small nitpick but it does mess with my flow.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

I was primarily comparing what integrations mattered to me most as well as if there was / what was accessible with the free plan should I decide not to pay.

Narendra from SprintCube

Awesome time tracking app!

I am using Toggl since 2017. And everyone at SprintCube is using Toggl for tracking their time. This helps me to focus on important things instead of micromanaging. We use it for all our activities like meetings, development, calls, and what not. Also, this data helps us to negotiate with clients!! We can also have different reports which help us to identify the areas where and how much our time is invested. Overall, this app is awesome and helps us to be more productive!

Pros

Toggl is a full-featured time tracking application. - It is very simple to use. - It provides features like idle time detection, tracking reminder. - The app is available for all the platforms like desktop, mobile, and web. You can even integrate into the Chrome browser to easily track time on any third-party application like BitBucket, GitLab, Jira, etc. - Powerful reports with export option. You can filter the time entries by project, client or user. - An option to create different workspaces which help to be more organized. - You can create a client, their projects and also assign a team to track everyone's time. - An option to assign tags to time entries. This helps to filter reports. - Everything is synced in the cloud, so we can use it from anywhere. Also, we don't have to worry about data backup. - The paid version has more advanced features, but I haven't used them yet as the free version provides most of the features that I need!

Cons

In the free version, it provides all the basic features. But still, I miss the following things. - In reports, the time entries are not grouped by date. - The number of users in a team is just 5. It would be great to have at least 10 users for small agencies which can't afford the paid version.

Lindsay from RecordedWord, Inc.

We haven't considered changing tools since the beginning!

We have employees that use the Toggl Chrome extension and others using the desktop version. We also have it on our mobile devices. We run reports for payroll and we run reports to see how much time we spend doing a, b or c, and therefore, we are able to see what profit or loss we accumulated on a specific project, based on our original quote. It's not too complex nor too simple to meet our needs.

Pros

Toggl allows an employer to see all employees' details in one "team" location. The reports are wonderful. Toggl is easy to use. It connects well with other tools like Asana. Very few (if any) glitches/bugs on the important things. Aesthetically clean and easy to navigate. Updates quickly. I receive a weekly report of hours worked, classified by time spent per project. Great tagging system. Allows you to list your clients and projects so that everything stays organized. You can also add a description for any entry. Can easily pick up where you left off without having to re-enter the details of what you're working on. Great searching feature that allows you to see all work done in a time period, by group of employees, with certain key word or with one or multiple tags.

Cons

It would be nice if you could customize the reports more. For example, I would like to print a PDF of a report showing all time entries but not showing who was the user for each entry. There have also been some features that I've struggled to figure out how to navigate or turn off and on. For example, Toggl started creating a new entry every time I paused and resumed instead of resuming the same entry. Once resolved, it has worked great, but it took me a while to figure out what setting was causing the issue.

Michael from Midimis LLC

There's no reason to use any other software for your time tracking

I feel like such a freeloader because I've always used the free version of toggl and it has been more than I need for all of my time tracking needs. I started out using it as a freelancer, and it still works at the free level for me even with a couple of team members. I absolutely love Toggl, so the least I can do is leave this review for them.

Pros

I love the simple interface and how it provides the option to discard your inactive time (for those cases where you leave your desk and forget to pause your timer), keep your time as part of your existing time tracking project, or save the time to a new time tracking project.

Cons

I've been using the software for over 5 years. Initially there were some hiccups, but that has all been ironed out now. This is as close as you get to perfect software that does exactly what you want it to do.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

This is one of those no-brainer decisions. There is absolutely no other time tracking software you should use instead of toggl. This is the one you want.

Nathan from HMB Professional Engineers, Inc.

Industry: Civil Engineering

Super simple clean time tracking software, though recent changes make it less useful

It's the best cloud based time tracking option out there, period.

Pros

I love that Toggl is quick to set up new projects and get to work. It shouldn't be a big deal to start tracking your time, because it's such a minimalistic task, but a lot of time trackers make it a big thing to start a project. I also like that it's cloud based, so no matter which office I'm working from, it's not a big deal. I like that it takes time entries in various formats (like I can type in 1h, or 60:00, or 1:00 and it understands them all), and I like that it's painless to switch projects (which I do every time a co-worker comes to ask me a question).

Cons

I don't like the recent changes that don't let you see your history without generating a report. I also wish it integrated with Google Calendar/Outlook and would automatically import meetings/scheduled events and tag them with the correct project (or ask me if they ought to be tagged). I also don't like that it runs until you turn it off, without reminders or updates - like it'll run 8 hours and send me a reminder, but if I ignore that single note, it stops. I would like it to send multiple updates, or have the ability to cut off, and to send me a notification/alert to start it again the next morning, because sometimes I'll forget and come back two days later to find 48 hours tracked to a single project.

Rachel from Elevation Church

Track Your Time with Ease

Contractors on our team can easily track how much time they spend on projects so they not only know how much they should be paid, but also how much time the different aspects of their projects take. For our full-time staff, Toggl has helped us recognize which projects are demanding too much time and where additional hires are necessary to help us accomplish projects efficiently. We have used Toggl data to pitch multiple hires within our organization because it helps people outside our department grasp the time demanded by projects they may not fully understand.

Pros

Toggl is INCREDIBLY easy to use. The desktop app allows me to quickly switch between tasks and projects without feeling like I'm wasting my time trying to track my time. In the web browser, I can quickly pull reports to show how much time I've spent on a specific project and/or during a specific time period. Our team can also share these with our supervisor so she can see where our hours are going and use this data to pitch/justify new hires. Toggl's customer support is FANTASTIC if you have questions or need help using the software efficiently.

Cons

It takes a bit of time and effort on the front end to determine what major buckets ("Projects") your job requires so you can categorize your tasks efficiently and make it accessible for the right reports, but once you get that straightened out, we haven't experienced any other issues.

Laura from Dancing with Ease

When I get this app set up, I'll be able to track multiple projects!

Better organization of workflow in my business and clearer understanding of where I'm making money and losing money!

Pros

Ability to track multiple activities - my time spent on marketing my biz, billable time with clients, research hours, learning time, and if I want to track personal time I can. I want to do more with less and tracking hours for billing uses lots of time. This was recommended to me as a time saving organizational tool. The free version is fairly robust (good details on their website https://toggl.com/feature-list/) and the help files are good. I'm a solopreneur, have started with the free version. It allows Up to 5 team members, Unlimited Projects, Reliable reporting plus 26 other features. The Starter version is isn't a huge expense and has 41 features compared to 29 features in the free version. The Billable Rates and Rounding in Reports, and Save Reports for easy access are the two features that will be most time-saving for me. Since I'm planning to scale up, it would be useful to track subcontractors' time working on specific projects.

Cons

The app will track lots of different things so it is kind of complicated to set up. I first tried to set Toggl up on my phone as I will be tracking most of my hours on my phone. This wasn't 100% successful as my phone is small, and typing and reading details is a bit tricky. I decided to set it up on my computer then track time there and on my phone depending on where I'm working. I wanted to set up as accurately as possible to utilize it well. It's much easier to open new windows for help files and tutorials while on the computer. The free version is very useful and I like seeing all my projects and how my time is spread among them. However, I was disappointed that the feature that would streamline my processes the most - creating billable time entries - requires purchasing a paid plan. (I recognize this is smart marketing for the growth of the business.)

Raitis from Caption

The easiest to use time tracker out there

Go for it if you need to start tracking your time without every beginning of an entry requiring you to type in a load information before the timer starts. Try with patience if you plan to use the browser version and the app simultaneously as the sync is way off. If you only stick to a single device to start and stop, be it the mobile app or browser version - it's all good. P.S. It might be that the desktop app solves this issue, but I'm not overly fond of installing something separately.

Pros

+ I needed something that I can start and edit later to avoid distractions. This does it perfectly. You can start a timer and give it a description and project later (a surprisingly small amount of products had this). + A great set of features even for a free user (report exports, long history). + Handy renaming of more than a single entry.

Cons

- The one and only thing that frustrates me is the awful sync between the desktop and mobile. I have since stopped using the mobile app and keep a tab open on my PC to start and stop when I need it. Not a huge issue for me as time tracking is usually work related.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

It allows you to get to work instead of fiddling with the naming. I.e. has the ability to just start a timer without an obligatory entry of what it is. Just go and type details in later, when the work is done.

Efficent tool for time/project management

This program helped the team to have a realistic understanding of the actual time spend in different activities. This allowed us to plan better our work and projects for the next months. We have also used it to measures the request we receive from external team in order to decide if in the future, we we can manage them internally or not.

Pros

If you don't have a lot of experience in project management or you start managing a task that is outside your daily work, it is very easy to underestimate the amount of time you need to complete it. This can cause your employees to be upset or be frustrated when trying to reach unrealistic deadlines. Toggl is a very simple tool, but help you understand how many time you have dedicated to a task so you will have a better understanding in how your time is allocated in certain activities. This is very useful when showing clients or management how much time and resources was really needed for each project phase. Toggl offers the ability to label projects, create groups and sends reminders when you left your timer running for too long. It also have a reporting sessions that is mainly basic but contains all the important information you might need for simple reports, To start working with the tool is very easy and it requires only a few minutes to create your account and set up.

Cons

My only complaint so far is the trial version allows you to add only 5 team members on your group. It is a pity, because this small limit, does not allow you to understand how powerful this tool is when managing the tasks/times of big teams

Brandon from Self-employed at Zellous Design

Full featured and easy to use.

Toggl makes it extremely easy for me to track time spent on various tasks/projects/clients. After trying Toggl for myself, I finally understand why they're so popular.

Pros

In comparing several time-tracking tools, Toggl ended up being the clear winner. Toggl has an interface that looks nice and is user friendly. When trying to track the time I spend working on a project, it is imperative that the process of the logging the time is as frictionless as possible. Toggl did a great job. Hours was a close tie in terms of the web app experience. Hours looked a little nicer, but was a little too minimalistic. Toggl provided the tools I actually needed. But the Mac app is what really sealed the deal for Toggl. There are times when I forget to stop the timer, and the Mac app allows Toggl to detect idle time and ask me if I want to keep it or discard it. This is absolutely a must-have feature. I should also mention: The chronological view of when and for how long I've worked on projects/clients in a given day: This was also a feature I wanted to have, and luckily Toggle includes in the "Timeline" view.

Cons

There's an awesome feature called Timeline which shows you a graph of what programs your using as you work on different projects... at least I think that's what it does. So far it hasn't populated with any data. It's supposed to pull data from the Mac app if you have "Record Timeline" checked, but it's not. Toggl sent out a nice "Need any help" type email and I took advantage of this to ask about the Timeline issue. However, I haven't received any reply. Hopefully they'll reply eventually... One minor con: In the chronological view (Timeline) you can't click on the timeline to manually input some time. This is nice and easy in Hours. Hours also makes it so easy to know when "now" is. In toggl, the current time isn't indicated. Unfortunate, but not a deal breaker.

Easy to use and does what I need

When I was a contractor I had to use Toggl for tracking and it was so easy that I continued when I went back to being a full-time employee. It has saved me a few times when one of my time sheets did not go in correctly or days off were not booked, as I was able to easily go back in time and look at the exact hours worked.

Pros

It is very easy to use. Just click the start button and start recording. Assign my time to various timecard categories as I go.

Cons

I wish I could book my time also by the project I'm working on. I work on several different projects in a typical week, so this does not seem to be possible or at least practical. It's also just a nice-to-have because my employer doesn't want it, only I do.

Emilie from Freelance

Very handy tool for keeping track of time spent on multiple projects

I love using Toggl to track my time as a freelancer! My clients appreciate that I can give them an exact breakdown of where my time goes, and it helps me maintain focus on my various projects.

Pros

As a freelancer that needs to keep track of my hours spent working for multiple clients and across multiple projects, I LOVE Toggl. I cannot stress enough how much easier this has made it for me to track my time and accurately assess what I'm spending the most time on. I especially love: - Toggl's free plan includes enough basic features that you can get a good feel for the software without having to commit - Ability to break down tasks within projects means helps keep timesheets as specific as possible, which my clients appreciate - Chrome extension is very easy to use, and reminds me to track my time whenever I'm online - Autotracker and idle time features are both extremely helpful for holding me accountable + keeping my hours accurate

Cons

In my opinion, Toggl is the best time-tracking software on the market right now. That being said, if I had to list potential future improvements: - As someone that multitasks / hops around between projects pretty regularly, I wish there was a way to run multiple timers at once or otherwise account for this - Mobile app, while a handy offering, isn't as easy to navigate as the desktop application

Dipin from SIS, Ahmedabad

Best ever time tracking app

Pros

The best part about Toggle is that I can see all my representative detail in one look! The application is basic and direct to utilize and route. We can get to the undertakings by means of work area PC, versatile or any gadget. We can include notes and remarks for every section, subsequently its simple to sort and compose passages. Accessibility highlight is exceptionally hearty, with only a watchword I get every one of the insights about the undertakings. I simply love the manner in which it identifies inert time and tells me if to dispose of it. Base clients like us can utilize the free form, it gives a considerable measure of highlights. You get the opportunity to perceive how well the assignments have advanced on consistent schedule. Indeed, even the essential form has awesome announcing and fare highlights, be it Pdf or word or exceed expectations, no stresses!

Cons

The vast majority of the organizations for the most part incline toward a venture administration framework with a period following module instead of only a period tracker, so if the application would give venture administration as well, it would be simply heavenly! There were circumstances I experienced bugs as I had to go at exchanging between workstations. We can't utilize the device in disconnected mode.

February 2016

Sebastian from Moz

February 2016

Overall an amazing app you must have to TRACK Your Time & also for your people !

I really love this app and I think more people need to have this time tracking application in their toolkit for 2016. I tested a lot of apps like this but Toggl really impressed me not only by the features, performance, design and cost effective but also by the fast responses I got from Toggl Team. They sent to me also some interesting gifts in february 2016 and I really think I will recommend to all of my clients (I already shared it on my twitter and other online social networks as well) I depend on it so much. I can't imagine another week without toggl reports that shows me where my time was spent, if I was effective or not and so much more. It's so important to know your cashflow and there are a lot of tools out there for tracking that, but what are you using for your "timeflow" ??? Toggl cames with a lot of amazing features here like, clean design, amazing suport, performance in place, available for android, windows, in browser, applications and so on... Toggl has been also my #1 go to for recording my time to bill clients. I couldn't even imagine manually writing time down :)) I think that Toggl is indeed extremely helpful in making sure that everyone knows how they are spending at least their work life so they can identify the trends, patterns and repetitive things that consume this precious resource called "time" ! I'm so grateful to have found it! Thank you Toggl for helping me keep my time straight and helping my Business !

Pros

Amazing support Easy to Use Great Performance "sexy" reports Clean Design Having a Clean Dashboard with the important information time-related & more :) Overall, let's face it...is just an App..but an Amazing one you should try it to Increase the quality of your life and Performance of your Business by spending the time in a more efficient & effective way as possible !

Cons

I can't use it without having the Internet On. (will be a great idea to have an option to track the time spent on your laptop and when you have the wiffi available again to sync the time)

Perfect Timekeeping for COnsultants

As an independent management consultant, I need to keep track of the hours I spend working on various projects with multiple clients. Not only does this help me bill appropriately, it also helps the client know exactly where their money is going when they work with me. This is the first program I tried for timekeeping and over two years, I have never felt the need to switch to try or switch to any other program.

Pros

I have used Toggl from the moment I started my consulting business. I love that it has both the "timer" feature as well as the "manual" feature, which is what I use the most. I appreciate how I can have unlimited clients and projects for those clients. The reports I can run from Toggl are perfect: I can run by week, month, or custom time period and by client + all projects, or just by project. I run & download the colorful monthly reports and provide this information to my clients, and they really appreciate the detail. Toggl is easy to use, has great features even in the free version, and does everything I need for it to do.

Cons

I have yet to find anything about Toggle that I don't like. I recommend it to every consultant that I meet who asks "What do you use to keep track of your time?"

Chadsey from LifeSteps World Ministries

Super easy to use

Wonderful, no real complaints so far and making the switch to Toggl has been great. We have converted most of our team to Togggl and are excited to bring in some of the integrations that come with paid plans to be able to eliminate some of the admin duties and close some of the cracks we find in communication from time to time.

Pros

The lack of ads is wonderful! I use the free version and have found Toggl makes things much simpler for me. The reporting is great and the amount of tools offered in the free version is great. I switched from another product and my reporting of where my time is going has never been more detailed and has helped me keep on track. Tracking time is super quick and easy, especially on task that I do week after week, Toggl stores the information and auto-populates so it saves me those few seconds and gets me working faster. I love it. I also love sending in such a detailed and good looking timesheet each period, way better than just a csv boring spreadsheet. I know we are only scratching the surface with what Toggl can do, hopefully as we grow our Toggl use and team will grow too to be able to streamline even more with their integrations.

Cons

The only thing so far that inconveniences me is the inability to export reports on the Android app. I don't know if that is something that is coming to it eventually, or if that is only available with a different level of plan. But I am 80% of the time mobile and need to send in reports on the go, which isn't too much of a problem that I am always with a laptop. But having to go that extra step does cost me a few minutes here and there. Exporting from mobile would be a huge help.

Amanda from Sun Country Highway

Simple, easy time tracking

I've used Toggl for the past few years as a quick and inexpensive way to track my time between multiple projects and report the ratio of time spent between them. The software boasts plenty of features for the base/free version (which is the version I use) along with basic reporting. The design is attractive and minimal while the time-tracking pages are easy to use and view. I would recommend this product to others looking for a basic time tracking software.

Pros

I love the minimal, user-friendly design of this software. Daily time-tracking is easy to complete and view in list-view. I am currently using the free version and really appreciate the reporting tools they provide, even for base users.

Cons

There are a few bugs here and there with Toggl when switching between workspaces, but they haven't deterred me from using the product. When trying to view a report for a workspace it seems that you need to have it set as your primary workspace, there is no way to switch between different workspaces in the reporting tab.

Melissa from Fox & Owl Media

Easiest time tracker you'll ever use

Pros

I like that Toggl is easy to use. Minimal setup required. Create your account and start tracking your time. I also like that the system gives you the ability to add client names, and create different projects under one client "folder". The system sends you handy weekly summaries to show you how many hours you spent on your projects over the previous week. You can generate reports to send to clients, as well as get an overview over the last few months to see how your time was divided amongst projects. Even if you don't bill hourly (I don't), it still helps you determine how long you've taken on a project, so that you can better estimate how long a certain type of project takes you. This way you can bill more accurately and helps to ensure that you're making profit.

Cons

I wish there were more colours to choose from when assigning clients a colour. Once I've used them all once, it becomes more of a challenge to quickly associate clients with colours in my mind. But that's pretty minor. But I think that's a potential improvement for future (albeit a small one).

Mark from Concordia University Portland

Really helpful to see how you're spending your time

I credit our use of Toggl as a primary driver in getting additional resources in our department. We were able to visually prove how much time was spent on entry level tasks by staff who were trained to do much higher level tasks. We used the data collected from Toggl to advocate for an entry level staff person to free time up for others to work on higher level, more big picture work.

Pros

Very easy to set-up and use. You can create projects and group tasks together to get an idea for a given week how much time you spent in meetings, on a project, or working on specific tasks. It allowed me to advocate for myself and my team for additional resources as we were able to prove how much time we spent on a weekly basis doing tasks that could be delegated or improved. The ability to provide my leadership team a visual representation of my time and my staffs time was invaluable during budgeting and resource allocation time. You were able to manually enter time if you forgot to start your clock or end the clock. Toggl has countless integrations so you're always able to start and stop time and accurately record your time from any device, anywhere.

Cons

No major issues to report. Obviously, it's incumbent upon the user to record their time accurately. Overall, the experience was tremendous and I have not complaints.

Toggl was a great way to track our time, until we found something better

It was very easy to get staff up and running and trained on how you use the application. We liked the visual indicators to differentiate between projects, and the various views to see daily and weekly progress. We definitely improved our tracking, and therefore our billing, and the ability to quickly and easily switch to different projects meant there was little to no downtime for our staff.

Pros

Toggl was a great find when we started realizing we needed to do a better job of tracking time. The best features are the easy to use UI, and a display that shows the user a task by task view of how their day progressed, as well as a consolidated weekly view where you can see a more holistic view of where time was spent. The dropdown project selections are very intuitive and when you forget to stop tracking, it is easy to add manual time.

Cons

A downside to adding manual time is that you have to interrupt your time tracking to do it, unless it was earlier in the day. Ultimately, what made us move away from Toggl is that we realized we were paying for multiple tools that were really good at 1-2 things, and we needed a more complete system. We ended up migrating off of Toggl and a few other applications for a more robust project management system that also had a time tracking module, saving the company quite a bit of money in doing so.

James from Oscar Diggs Digital

Dead Simple Time Tracking

When we get lost in the details and need an objective reality check on where our time is going... Toggle is there to save the day.

Pros

Time tracking shouldn't take a lot of time. It also shouldn't get in the way of what you're trying to do. Toggl doesn't do either - making it the perfect tool if you're looking to stay on top of your day, down to the minute. It's simple to use, allows you track across all your projects and activities and even lets you share reports with others. And it's easy to use. Plus they have an app for any device you can throw at them, which means you have no excuses not to know where you're putting your time and attention.

Cons

The only thing lacking from toggl is a physical button or device integration. There are a few physical time tracking devices out there, but their integrations with Toggl leave a lot to be desired. To be fair though, this isn't Toggl's fault, but rather the maker of the devices - but still... it would be great if Toggle worked closesly with developers using their APIs to ensure that the physical experience of Toggl is just as great as the digital version!

Track time simply and effectively using Toggl

Overall, Toggl has made my life as both an employee and a manager a lot easier. It's really simple to track my time, and it's just as easy to pull reports to see how much time is being spent on specific tasks, specific projects and how people spend their time. I also do some freelancing on the side and use the free version of Toggl for that - it doesn't have as many features as the paid versions but it works just fine for my little side gig. Can't live without it for the office or freelancing!

Pros

Toggl allows you to add multiple projects, which is really helpful. However, my favorite feature is just how EASY it is to change what you're tracking quickly. There is nothing worse than doing lots of small tasks - replying to client emails with one line responses, checking in on someone's project, and having the time tracker take longer than the actual task itself. Changing tasks in Toggl take no more than a few seconds and has saved me a ton of time over the years.

Cons

I find the Chrome button to be pretty buggy and typically just had to use the website for tracking. Not a huge deal at all, but it would be really convenient to be able to use the button 100% of the time.

Rebecca from University of Tokyo

Has enabled me to turn time tracking into a habit!

Has really allowed me to get an objective grasp on how my time (both work and leisure) is split up and helps me work out how to spend my time better. Really recommend!

Pros

-This just makes time-tracking so easy! I had always thought time-tracking was a good idea, but was never able to make a habit out of it. However, this app just makes it really simple to have different timers for different tasks, and the charts and analysis of your time use is really great. - Love that there is an unpaid version and a paid version (paid version gives me peace of mind that the business model is sustainable and so the software will be around for a good while)

Cons

- I think it's a bit difficult for users to understand the utility of this software before they use it. For example, I initially thought 'well, why do I need a devoted app for this? I can just set a timer for each task and jot the times down in a notebook'. I think there needs to be more emphasis on why doing things this way isn't good (it involves much more cognitive fricture and makes it much harder for time-tracking to become a habit), rather than just emphasis on the positive features. - The name seems to be difficult for some people, as the spelling is somewhat unusual. Fine if you're writing it down for someone, but a friend suggested it to me in conversation and it took me a while to find it because I was searching for 'toggle'.

Edina from Reprise Digital Hungary

Time management and life made easy

As the nature of my job title I need to keep a balance between 2 different areas. It helps me keep track on that and also which clients and tasks I spend the most time on. With the help of Toggl I discovered many tasks that could have been done in a shorter period of time with automation (such as reporting).

Pros

Had been using Toggl in the last 2 years to track how much time different tasks, areas and clients take up from my daily time. It's easy to log in tasks and correct them if I forgot to stop the timer or haven't properly described what I was working on. Recently discovered there is a mobile app for Toggl which comes in handy when I run from 1 meeting to another. Different workspaces are also a blessing. This way you can seperate your work life logs and personal ones, or any other. Also if you forgot to stop the timer Toggl will send and alert to your mail or notification about it.

Cons

Would be wonderful to be able to connect Toggl to Google Data Studio for reporting purposes. I haven't upgraded to Premium or Enterprise Plan, so Toggl Insights might cover this issue for those users. Overall was perfectly satisfied with Toggl.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

I tried other products as well, but Toggl had the most user friendly interface of all.

Liam from Trio Technology

Toggl is great

Toggl is a great help for tracking my time spent on tasks. Active Collab (4 and 7 versions self hosted) do not have great timer functionality but with Toggl it is very good and we can implement a sync to Active Collab.

Pros

Very easy to use software, works on both mobile and desktop. Can have multiple workspaces. API Quite easy to work with to integrate to other solutions e.g. Active Collab 4, 7 etc. Support was very good.

Cons

In the timer app switching between times can sometimes be clunky and easy to have it accidently push a time across to a previous day or future day when back editing times to correct them if not started at the right time.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Easy to use, mobile client, desktop client, browser and nice reporting functionality.

Great Free Version

Pros

Desktop timer window and mobile app in addition to the website. Can make timer window float and see timer numbers in menu bar. Can ask for automatic notifications/reminders based on idle time or time you’re active but not timing. The idle time feature is awesome to prevent forgetting to stop the timer and trying to guess later when I stepped away (it can automatically cut that time for you). Simple layout. Nice dashboard and weekly reports by email. Easy to edit start and end times, tags, etc. Convenient to be able to click the Play icon on any recent task to continue work on that same task with all the same tags, etc.

Cons

Mobile app is very limited compared to website version. For example, I would really like to be able to add and edit clients and projects from the app. Would be nice to get the idle time/reminder notifications on mobile as well. It’s really easy to forget you’re timing if you’re actually using the phone to get work done (whenever Toggl isn’t the app on top).

Derek from University of California at Irvine

Toggling my way through life.

I was able to start out with a free version of the software and meet some critical professional needs. Initially I discovered Toggle working at another company when I was mandated to turn in detailed time logs of my daily activities. I later adopted using Toggl to meet my needs as far as project management and billing for contract work. I now use it at my university job to maintain accountability as far as allocation of time and resources to projects. I have recommended the project to several friends and colleagues in other industries as an excellent resource.

Pros

Toggle provided a very useful project management supplemental resource even in the initial free version.

Cons

The only unpleasant and unfortunate experience I have had with Toggl is that the company did not buy the URL Toggle.com, so there was an unfortunate and embarrassing moment at work when inadvertently typing toggle.com in my browser which took me to a porn site with a vast display of obscene photos. The URL has since been taken over by another company, but for a while I had to make sure I had the correct URL bookmarked to avoid further embarrassment.

Jonathan from Creative Coding Group

Track Time Better

We use Toggl everyday as a small website development agency to track numerous projects from start to finish. Being able to add clients and tasks is important to us and tracking project cost is high on our list.

Pros

It's easy to set up new clients or projects within those clients and see in list view what work has been tracked. I also like how I can get reports easily for myself and my teammates within Toggl to generate invoices from. Color coded clients/projects make it easier to track visually as well along the listings.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to find exactly what you need when filtering reports for the month.

Gustavo from GDC

I can't live without Toggl Track

I've been using Toggl for more that two years every day, and it's one of my more useful tools in order to track my working hours on every project and make reports of it. It's a very focused tool that does it very well. It's very flexible, it has integrations with many apps, it offers very good reports and possibility to export them to different formats, and you can manage teams.

Pros

Very flexible, very easy tu use and great reports. It has a nice integration to Jira.

Cons

When I type the task description, the autofill should search for a wider date range.

Christopher from Christopher Hemsworth Art and Design

Satisfying time tracking

As a designer working with clients this helps me create accurate reports but additionally helps me gain better understanding about where my time is spent on different areas of projects, helping me make better time estimates.

Pros

I have been using Toggl for a very long time (perhaps since it's release!) and it is continually being improved upon with each iteration and update. I love how easy it is to use and I especially love the ability to create and view detailed reports as they pertain to client work or projects. Also, as silly as it sounds, I love the simply design and pie charts to show where you spent your time on tasks within a project. Also the fact that you can use the app on your phone and desktop just promotes time tracking easily at your fingertips wherever you are doing your current task.

Cons

Great and easy-to-use time tracker!

As someone who also works freelance, Toggl is a perfect way to track all my projects and the time spent for each. It's a perfect tool to use to send time reports to my clients. Getting started with Toggl is very quick. Feels like you don't   need to set up here. You just go ahead and start adding time blocks to your day.

Pros

The software is simple and easy to use. It essentially tracks my time in a timesheet format that can be used to send a report to my clients. Basic features of the free edition are already good enough to use. Premium version makes it easy to distinguish billable and non-billable time. Emailing reports to my clients keeps me up to date with my hours and their budget. The ability to monitor my progress on different tasks has helped to give me the details needed to bill for hours worked. It's easy to use, lightweight and easy to read. This can be downloaded from the Google Play store for free and as well as for Android and iOS.

Cons

The app version runs slow and freezes occasionally. There are some sync issues but you can just restart if that happens. It would also be best if it's got a manual night mode. Another thing is that the .Mobile app does not have complete control like delete options. You would still have to go to the web application. Other than that it's a really great app!

Corina from LitePages

Excellent way to hold myself accountable

Keeping myself accountable of where I actually spend my time.

Pros

Simple and easy to use. I use it every day to keep track of work and study and at the end of the day I do a quick review of how I spent my time. I can clearly see how much effort I really put into my tasks and the places that need improvement.

Cons

Daily goal setting would be useful but not in an annoying way like Duolingo.

Jacob from UTHealth

Easy and fun to use

I've been using Toggle for 2 years since my corporate overlords asked me to keep track of my time usage based on which department I was doing the work for. I hated the idea of spreadsheets and having to manually create, organize and backup Excel files. Thanks to Toggl I never had to do that - I just fire up Chrome on my desktop and goto the Toggle shortcut(or the app on my phone or tablet) and make my time entry. It's easy to visualize the time spent over the week and super easy to fix any mistakes like putting in the wrong date or time. And at the end of the week/month/year I can easily export digestible graphs or spreadsheets that my manager needs. And all of this for free. I love it and wish that they would add Asana-level task management so I can justify paying $10/mo for this awesome tool.

Pros

I love how colorful and approachable Toggl is.

patrice from Aveva

Very efficient product, UI/UX is well thought

I had issue tracking how many hours I was working on different tasks. It happen often during the day that I switch focus from a task to another (ex: a lot of interruptions) which make the tracking of time hard. With this tool, it is easy to just switch task in the website and look at the summary at the end of the day.

Pros

I only use it to track my time on my different daily task. The usability of the website is really great. It allow to create / update / start / stop a task in a single click. What I also really like is that I often forget to start or stop a task. When this is occurring, the tool allows me to easily adjust the actual time records of the task. What I also like is the way that it automatically regroup the task having the same name together per day. I also like the label feature that allow me to categorize some tasks. There are a lot of small UI/UX usability touch that make the tool easy and nice to work with (ex: auto summary of number of hours worked in a day, the color of the icon in bookmark bar change when a task is active or not....)

Cons

Sometime the icon on the bookmarks is not updated properly to show if a task is started or not, but this is very minor. High level I am very pleased with the subset of features I use in the web app.

April from Freelancer

Simple, easy to use time tracker

I use it to keep track of time by certain clients. One client originally requested that I use it and since it was so easy to use, I started using it for other clients and projects.

Pros

What I like the most about this is that is it super easy to use! For straight forward time tracking, it works great. You can break down your time by clients, projects, etc.

Cons

There is not much to say that is negative. If you're looking for a straight forward time tracker to use for yourself or employees, this will work.

Price and ease of use.

Angie from 31Four, Inc.

Essential for monitoring project expenses & freelancing

I came across Toggl when trying to find ways to easily invoice freelancing clients and then again when trying to accurately monitor labor expenses for complicated projects. It's hard to fully monitor profitability if you don't have an accurate picture of the labor on a project and Toggl makes this simple. The website is intuitive and moving between clients and projects is effortless.

Pros

Toggl is a breeze to use, which is critical when you are managing a number of projects and clients. There's an app, a Chrome extension, a Trello extension, and of course the main website. It can be hard to remember to track time when you are busy jumping between projects but Toggl makes it very easy. I love that you can start the timer very quickly and can always go back and add more notes if needed.

Cons

There really isn't anything I dislike about Toggl - it can be hard to get others on board with tracking their time on projects and I think Toggl has offered several solutions to help make this behavior change easier. The reporting is more robust with a paid subscription (especially helpful for multiple clients or when managing a team) but even the free version is excellent.

Reasons for Choosing Toggl

Toggl offers a number of ways to use the product (ie app and extension), making it more likely that your team will actually adapt to time monitoring.

Cynthia from Royal LePage Atlantic

Great way to keep my team accountable

Toggl has helped my team stay accountable and helped us to track our daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly measurable to stay on track with our department goals!

Pros

I like how easy it is to add new projects, and adjust times afterwards to correct time tracking if a timer was left on. I also like that an email notification is sent if the timer has been left on overnight.

Cons

It was a little confusing figuring out how to integrate it as a plug in with other programs such as Asana.

Stanislav from Remotek Ltd

The Only Time Tracker a Freelancer Needs

I've been using Toggl when doing freelance work and have loved it. You can use the desktop client or the web client - they sync in real time. Reports are awesome and my clients love them

Pros

It's very simple to use and provides several tiers to organize time into. The tool allows you to have workspaces and in each workspace you have further breakdowns: client -> project -> task. This allows for very good organization of your time spent and convenient reports, where you can segment time based on each of these criteria. It marks each task with a different highlight color making it easy to identify. When starting the timer you can either click start and then type your task or project to choose it from a drop down, or you simply scroll through the history of logged entries and just click on any to resume working on it.

Cons

The mobile version didn't have a lot of functionality until recently, but now that is improved.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,301 reviews