• Pros

• "Easy interface, large font, easy to read, excellent support, upgrades very easy across all computers!!!"

• "The scheduling and quality modules are a must have, they work great."

• "Fairly easy to use and has all the functionality we need."

• Cons

• "The scheduling module takes a bit longer to master but that is probably due to the nature of our busines.."

• "Cost, updates used to be a little cumbersome but improved now. "

• "some of the minor hiccups. all of which we have had corrected. "

Browse E2 Shop System Reviews

David from DEKING Screw Products

E2 Shoptech revolutionized our shop

Pros

1. No IT guy cost to maintain server. 2. Can use inexpensive workstations. We use Chromebooks for data collection. I also use a chromebook for trips. 3. Android/Apple app for tablets that can be used for data collection 4. Also just released an app for employees to check in and out from their phone. You can post stock from this app. 5. Work from anywhere. I was in Minnesota 2 weeks ago during a blizzard. I was at starbucks, posted up next to the window, working on my chromebook with no hick ups. 6. New updated features over the old system. Better reports. More capable Hot Spots. 7. Works the same as the old system, just things are in different spots. 8. Better, more efficient user interface 9. Easier to customize reports 10. Just introduced Dashboards

Cons

1. The subscription price. 2. Cert control in general can be better. 3. Employee Clock in Module is a pain. You cannot edit someone time until they are clocked out.

Ryan from Advanced Solutions and Calibrations

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Excellent Software for what we needed.

Prior to E2 our employees worked on the honor system for hours, so we know we have become very spot on in our payroll with the use of the software. This has also allowed us to track jobs, productivity, profitability and find areas where we can drive improvement.

Pros

The ability to track time tied to jobs as well as each individual employee. It has helped create a solid way to verify our profits as well as bill appropriately for hourly jobs.

Cons

We occasionally have issues saving items to QuickBooks with no real explanation of what is causing it. Support always assists us, but it seems like a hiccup as opposed to something being done incorrectly.

Vickie from Taylor Manufacturing

Industry: Machinery

Why E2 is the software choice for Taylor Manufacturing.

Overall E2 is great. Due to the job and cost tracking capabilities of E2, we are able to stay on top of our prices that we charge our customers. We can monitor the labor expense of our machines and setup times which allows us to find new processes to maintain our original quotes. These savings are passed on to our customers which benefits our company's growth and success rate.

Pros

The thing I like most about E2 is that it is so user friendly. The process of training new employees is very simple due to the ease of E2. E2 is very functional. It works wonderful for all our departments: AR, AP, Quoting & Estimating, Receiving & Shipping, order entry & purchasing, job tracking and all accounting and inventory reporting. The online forum, tutorials and customer service alone are reasons enough to purchase E2. Their customer services is top rated. I have always received help and been completely satisfied with the results each and every time I've contacted E2.

Cons

The thing I dislike about E2 is orphans. Orphans are little glitches that are caused when something goes wrong. E2 doesn't go backwards very well, meaning you have to be very cautious when undoing / unwinding things. Some of my fellow employees fail to unwind things the proper way so we get an orphan occasionally. Although I must say, orphans are an easy fix for E2 customer service reps.

Kate from Hurley Precision Machining

Industry: Mining & Metals

2.5

Small Business Looking for Shop Control

Pros

Experience: We are a small family owned business that needed to get ISO certified as a requirement by our customer. We did our research and E2 was the best company to offer shop control and offer ISO certification. We have been using E2 since 2012, we have been ISO certified since 2012. We were eager and became ISO certified within 6 months (take a lot of work and dedication to get it done quickly). Overall E2 has been a great resource for us. Pros: The software is easy to use, the information that you are able to get from reports is helpful (only as good as the information put in). Easy for all employees to use with all computer skill levels. ISO documentation was extremely helpful with becoming ISO certified. Customer service is always helpful, you always get a real person to help you with your needs.

Cons

Software does not allow you to do multiple things at once, it is very simplistic which might be best. Difficult to customize it to you specific needs, it can be done but there is a cost for that. If you are a start up company this software would be great to get you going with all aspects, if you are an established company you might need to adjust how you do things. We still do all of our accounting and customer quoting from QuickBooks as that works best for our company. We do not use E2 for scheduling as we are a fast pace job shop and things change on the fly and difficult to schedule within the software.

Greg from Packaging & Containers

Industry: Industrial Automation

Get the names right

Repetitive naming conventions and Miss naming conventions seem to be the only problem

Pros

The software was ideal for the shop floor didn't take into consideration a lot of used for the Bean Counter but more for the guy who's running the shop

Cons

The key here is initial setup getting you naming conventions correct at the get-go is key to not having problems

Definitely

Chad from Fuse Fabrication, LLC

Not Pleased with E2 shoptech

Pros

Being its cloud based that's great because it keeps you virtual anywhere anytime. The system randomly glitches and shuts down and when it does if you haven't saved your 3-5 quotes or orders all those hours of work is all lost.

Cons

The system isn't streamline. There aren't many good things to say. It's been a horrible experience. Sales team over sold us on the product. When we launched with their cloud based system it was still in BETA which we where ok with at the time because they made us a deal to work with them while their in BETA and they wont charge for user maintenance thoughout the duration. Next thing i know problems still arent resolved and its out of BETA. That was 8 months ago when we found out, guess what problems still arent solved and they dont expect them to be for quite a while. Nor could they promised it would be solved. Here is some ex's: You cannot download any CAD/CAM documents/drawings on their cloud based system. It has to be a image such as: PNG.. NOTE i said PNG and not PDF, DWG, DXF, STEP, etc. That really hinders our flow of operations from the office to the floor. OVER WORKING YOURSELF: Every step takes 2-5 steps to complete. Such as: Making a simple print, whether printing piece of paper or emailing or viewing a document. There accounting software is a joke. You cannot take Ccard transactions. We use SYnc option for QB's pro, That doesn't work at all. When it did work it wouldn't close out the invoice on shop side once its been transferred. Believe me when i say this ppl stay away there are MANY more problems than what was listed. I was warned before we bought it and should've listened.

Kathleen from Frederick Machine

Great for Tying Everything Together

Pros

Coming from a Quickbooks based operation I have found this software to be 1. more user friendly and 2. so convenient to keep track of all different aspects of a job/shipment. No longer do I have to make notes to "remember" to charge a customer for this service or that part - it all ties together!

Cons

Right now, the only thing I would like would be to able to select a previously used part from the search field when entering a quote.

Paul from Beverlin Mfg

Feedback

Like any Job shop software it works and works best if you use it right. Good info in and you get good info out. Overall is works OK. My pro's and con's are above. Seems expensive & is a growing concern.

Pros

The architecture makes sense. Contains what we need to run our business. When we have a problem, we can usually get it fixed.

Cons

Pricing is extremely high. We are a growing business and a company that has been with E2 a long time, the ongoing cost to add users and yearly fees has us questioning if E2 is the right choice long term. Pricing is out of hand and the migration to the cloud based E2 costing is worse yet. The architecture does not allow you to click through to what you need, you have to write it down, back out and enter it manually. Nor can you copy & paste. Seems primitive in that regard. I usually have multiple ''time out'' errors per day. Reports and exports are weak & not customizable - we do way too much work outside of E2 to get and use information that E2 should provide.

Helen from Calco Metal Mfg

Great Multi-Functional Software

Great experience, continually provides our needs with new updates to meet changing demands

Pros

Easy to use, multi-functional, inexpensive for small companies

Cons

Some of the forms could use more flexibility in customizing to meet individual look

Cost mostly

John from Sharpe Mfg. Inc.

Nice Product

There is a learning curve but once proficient the system works great

Pros

Everything can be tied together for easy traceability. Good reporting and costing.

Cons

Customer support can get costly... Need either IT or Customer Support when glitches occur

Monica from Legacy Machine & Manufacturing, Inc.

We think this is the perfect software!

We can't say enough about the outstanding support and customer service from the folks at Shoptech. They have always been an absolute pleasure to work with - extremely responsive and knowledgeable!

Pros

We are a 20 person precision machining and sheet metal fabrication shop. We do everything from prototype to large quantity production runs, and E2 Shop System does everything we need it to! This software follows a part from cradle to grave; from establishing raw material part numbers all the way thru to cash receipts, it ties every aspect of a job together, and is extremely user friendly! I love that we can collect real time information on the progress of a job, and when all is said and done, we know EXACTLY how much it cost us to produce a part. It allows us to give our customers the best possible price without any guess work on our end. We have been able to keep our accounting bills to a minimum, as the software allows you to produce balance sheets, income statements, 1099's - EVERYTHING! In 2017 we decided to convert to the Web Based version, and it was an absolutely seemless transition. I LOVE that we can do quoting, bookkeeping, analysis, etc. remotely. No longer needing to maintain a huge server has been great too!

Cons

I can honestly say that I don't feel like there's anything "missing" with this software. Of course, there are the occasional "glitches", but Shoptech is very responsive and quick to come up with a fix! If I HAD to find something to complain about, it would be that the "maintenance fees" are a bit high for the web based version. However, not needing to maintain a server and the expense associated therewith, it's probably close to a wash!

Reasons for Choosing E2 Shop System

When making the decision of which software to purchase, I decided to "use" each one for a week, without any input from outside. I wanted to see which would be the most user friendly and intuitive, and I ended up choosing E2. It was just easy to use, and it did everything that we needed it to do - and more!

Anne from St. Vrain Manufacturing

E2 Has Brought Amazing Efficiency to our Company

Efficiency, time saving, and error reduction are the main contributions this system has brought to our business. The error reduction is found in only having to enter information one time, and having that follow through in all of the processes, even on our Open Order Summary. If an initial error is made, it can be corrected at the source and the other paperwork corrected or re-generated. The efficiency and time-savings are self evident in what I've already said.

Pros

E2 has really helped us streamline all of our processes: from initially purchasing, through receiving, invoicing, check writing on the AP side; to processing POs from customers, generating orders, travelers, packing lists, and invoicing on the AR side. I can't imagine going back to what we did before! In the E2 system, once a part number/PO is entered, all of that information travels through all of the processes and handling of that item. No more repeated entries, with that time consumption and potential for error--one entry and you are done!--the processing of the PO or part number then goes through the whole shop and out the door. And I am not even including the ease of quoting and routing, which is less in my area of work, but is the area where most parts "begin" their life with us. E2 takes these parts all the way through, including the generating of Return Authorizations and credits when those are needed, in a seamless way.

Cons

Honestly, I can't think of any significant cons. We have had the occasional glitch or problem with usage, and there are some areas where I wish we could use the system even more, but for the massive amount of work we do use it for, it is excellent!

Laurence from Capital Plastics Company, Inc.

Everything you ever NEEDED to know

E2 manages ALL your data from your shop floor through your bookkeeping. The reports have always been the best selling point. Even sorting data becomes easy with the various export methods. You can quickly transfer the report dat to say excell and then again manipulate and massage as need for even more insight. I have always (and will continue to) recommend this sofware to other owners.

Pros

This software has the ability to organize your business workings into manageable reports. Reports that you can tailor to you specific needs. The more you follow the simple rules of E2, the more benefits it can deliver. In my own business no two jobs are alike and no procedures for the jobs are identical yet E2 understands this principle and manages to sort data in such a clear manner as to help you with decisions going forward on all future work. I cannot give a higher recommendation on any other similar system.

Cons

1.) I wish I could control the "Markup Pct." column in the General Tab when entering parts. I feel this item should have strict control - administrator only! Any of my people entering a part has the ability to change this percentage at will. Many an argument has resulted from my becoming aware of someone making an adjustment to this column, I wish I could lock it! 2.) When processing a return, it writes back to the original Order and amends it. Now the "Order Total" changes. It should not change. The order total should still match the customer P.O. total. The simple code should be that the (Qty Ordered) X (Unit Price) goes to make up the (Order Total) UNLESS there is something in the 'Master Job Number' column. In this manner the customers P.O. amount would still match up to the Order Total

Lisa from Allied Sheet Metal Works, Inc.

Industry: Machinery

I no longer wanted my shop to run me....

E2 has been great to work with from the very beginning. We do not have an IT department but they helped walk me through the steps of setting up our system. They are always very nice and polite on the phone whenever I have to call. The system is great, with only a few bugs.

Pros

The way that E2 links all the different aspects together with various search functions. I can easily find ANYTHING i'm looking for and run so many reports to find out whatever information I want.

Cons

We still use the Access database version and it's only for PC. Two of us are dedicated Apple users, so that took some figuring out how to continue using Apple products with E2. There are only two reasons I haven't switched to the online hosted version - document type linking, and stable internet service.

Jim from Magnetics & Controls, Inc.

Best Software Value

Bottomline, the E2 Shop System is affordable, easy to use, expandable, versatile and worth the price we paid. The support is top notch and the sales process and our data transition was effortless. We purchased our software on February 23, 2005 and have been a customer for over 14 years!! The service and support has remained consistent over that time period and the company seems to be extremely customer focused. I would highly recommend the E2 Shop System.

Pros

What we like most about the E2 Shop System Software is the ability to expand and customize our databases. We purchased the SQL version which allowed us to put the E2 OEM program on steroids. We added custom fields and tables of things that were very specific to our manufacturing business. We also added a custom front end for our customers to access things like detailed part specifications, testing data, sales history, package tracking, and much more. We also added a custom backend for our employees to enter non E2 items into separate database tables and link the information to the customers and vendors already in E2. The best part is, we have a very high end custom solution at a fraction of the cost of some of the other solutions on the market. We have the ability to barcode scan, track employees time for payroll, calculate exact labor costs based on actual production times, track inventory, import our invoices into Quickbooks, perform accurate estimations / quotations and much more.

Cons

We started off with the Access database version which is limited in scope, but soon realized that the SQL version was much more powerful and allowed unlimited growth.

George from MAPCO Manufacturing

Industry: Defense & Space

Finally moving away from E2

Pros

The user interface is easy to understand and navigate. The routing and BOM functions work well. Outgoing paperwork (packing slips, vendor returns, RMAs...etc) are generated easily. The quality module works well for us. Ultimately its a great software for smaller job shops; ie, less than 25 employees.

Cons

The scheduling system doesn't work. The system consistently puts out a schedule that doesn't make sense. We are a quick turn, CNC machining job shop, and need a software that enables us to understand our capacity. Often times, jobs that are due tomorrow are on the second page of the report, and jobs that aren't due for 6 weeks are at the top of the list. We worked with tech support and cannot get a resolution. We implemented E2 in 2003 and only started trying to use the scheduling module in the last year. It was a great software initially, but now that we have grown we need software that does what we need it to do. Beyond that, items frequently go corrupt. Unprocessing and reprocessing anything (work orders, purchase order, NCs, CAPAs...etc) risk corrupting the file. If you double click on certain things the system crashes. If two people are in an item at the same time, quantities and/or lines duplicate. Once supplies are received or product is shipped, the system will not allow certain changes to be made. The personnel efficiency reports generate numbers that don't make sense. We've visited this repeatedly and cannot sort out a solution. Just last week I reviewed the efficiency reports for our production crew, and a job they were given 4 hours to setup showed "ESTIMATED SETUP" time of 2.27 hours. Our settings are correct but for some reason the system comes up with understated estimates, despite what we tell it to do.

Chad from Deuterium IMS LLC

Industry: Machinery

New E2 User - Happy So far.

So far - we have been very happy with it. The simplicity of the product is a great. As it matures, perhaps some of the features will grow too. We will continue to support that endeavor by providing as much feedback as we can, and offering new product ideas that can be rolled out into the system.

Pros

Value is great, and the Cloud Based version is easy to step into. E2 appears to be ahead of the curve with getting their platform onto a cloud system for their customers, and it was one of the deciding factors why we went with E2 instead of other ERP system out there. Because of the cloud-based nature of the system, we have enjoyed the frequent updates to the product, it feels like we should never get behind. This is a comforting benefit as a system ages. The flow of work through the system is clearly organized to make the use of the system easy to understand for new users. We have background in a couple other standard ERP systems, and moving into E2 has been easy after a few pointers about how the system runs. The home-screen that shows work flow is easy to follow. Lastly - one of our favorite features has been how easy it is to customize reports. Sometimes it can be tricky, or perform unexpectedly, but all-in-all it workable. A more advanced tutorial on report customization would be helpful

Cons

There are not many broad system cons that we have found. We find the system to be simple and that it does what it is supposed to do well. Mostly, we have noticed over the past 10 months features we wish were included making E2 a more feature rich system. For example, inventory management could be more feature rich, including categories for non-inventory items (e.g. tooling, etc.) as a default option out of the box, or multiple pricing structures based on vendor, beyond the simple standard cost. We also wish it were were easy to reserve parts being made on a STOCK job to a newly entered sales order. There may be a way to do this, but it has not been immediately clear For incoming material, it would be nice to have the ability to receive parts/material via the data collection terminal right on the shop floor, rather than having to use a full license to perform what is a basic transaction. Furthermore, the ability to print an "Incoming Material" report for each purchase order (service or otherwise) would be helpful for a shop management. This way there is a paper record of what is coming in on a PO. For work flow, it'd be nice if there were options linking to create an invoice directly from a packing list (e.g. a save and create invoice option in the save button). Some of these missing features we find to be inhibiting our efficiency of implementation, so far we are working around them.

Robert from Pennwood Products, Inc

Industry: Building Materials

The Perfect Manufacturing Software

We have been using E2 for well over 16 years and so far we love it. We have used other systems and this one just seed to get it right. In that time we have only had a handful of issues of which most were fixed in minutes and all we had to do was call Tech Support and explain what was not working. The customer and technical support staff are extremely knowledgeable in what their software can do and how they can customize it to fit your every need. They have even extra fields set aside for all most every function to carry different data types just in case you have found a data point that they haven't thought of.

Pros

E2 creates a clutter free work space with a simple layout and design. Shop Tech has broken down the manufacturing process to get a true understanding of how our company really operates. The bolt on modules allow for greater control of specific functions in particular departments. We specifically use the Scheduling and Custom Order Import Automation functions. Scheduling give us a top level view, department view, work center view, and all the way down to a view of sub parts that make up a single part. This tells us exactly where an order is as well as if we are under or over loaded at the work center and department level. All I have to do is pull up the schedule, click a button for the level of detail I want to display and away it goes. The Custom Order Import Function has allowed us to automate the order entry process by simply downloading a file from our customer, pointing where I saved the file, and clicking "Import". This function creates the order and based off our custom company settings which we have setup to automatically pull from stock jobs, inventory, post a quantity to make or a combination of all of the above. We can then run a requirement report to see what we need to make to fulfill open orders or to make stock for inventory. It really doesn't get easier than that.

Cons

The extra modules do have a cost but they are well worth it. On the plus side of that, E2 will demo the modules with full functionality and if it doesn't incorporate everything that you need you don't have to purchase it.

September 2016

Paul from Excelsior America

September 2016

E2 Shop System for a Job Shop

This software has all of the features necessary to quote a project, purchase for a project, and move the project successfully through the shop from one work station to another, accurately accumulating time as it goes. It will give you insight into your jobs as to estimated performance versus actual performance, it will give you control over your purchasing and a 30,000ft level view of your work center loading. Overall, it has the capabilities to meet a wide variety of manufacturing requirements with good reporting, and useful tools

Pros

The software is pretty easy to use. We can usually get new employees up and running fully on the software with only a couple of days of training. If you implement the time keeping module it allows for excellent review of jobs and verification of timing for your work. By far the best part of E-2 is the support. They have a wide range of support tools including Webex training's, customer support, and even analysts who can help implement, and improve your software usage.

Cons

Like most software it is built around a model that may not exactly match your business model. In this case the issue is Parts vs. Jobs. Our shop tracks jobs through the shop that are composed of multiple parts. E-2 works best if one part is one job. While it is possible to run multi-part jobs you lose some of the functionality of the software when you do. The other limitation is eliminating duplicate data. If you have customers, materials or parts that were duplicated, or just plain created incorrectly, it is cumbersome to remove them from the E-2 system.

March 2016

Michele from J&S Tool, Inc.

March 2016

9 Year User of E2 Shoptech

Pros

The product is a comprehensive job tracking system. When using the individual "modules" in the correct order in creating parts, quotes, jobs, purchases, shipments, etc. you will be able to trace, track, run reports and get great information. Shoptech as a vendor has always been extremely helpful when you contact them. You will not sit on hold for hours like with some other vendors. You will find both basic information and more extensive information on their website either through webinars, help papers, virtual training classes and also User Discussion Boards. Should you not find the information which you are seeking, their staff is very informative and will not leave you in a bind.

Cons

The vendor is very upfront about what their system will and will not accomplish. I miss my accounting bells and whistles with having real time reporting at my finger tips (however, they do provide a "Quick-view" area in which to get real time data for various areas in the system such as job status, parts/customer/vendor inquiries and information, PO status, etc. The worst issue that I can state is that in order to take a look at where items are hitting the G/L, the month in question has to be posted. In order to make any changes, the months have to be unposted. Users should not be in the "Accounting area" when this is being done. AND the worst part in using the audit trail to see which user possibly edited something, no matter where in the system, the audit trail will only tell you who viewed, possibly edited, but will not give you further information to solve your puzzles as to who did what, when and why.

October 2015

John from Prigel Machine & Fabrication

October 2015

E2 is the ERP that gives the big name ERP's a Run for there money!!

Pros

I have used multiple ERP systems some of them rather expensive with a large learning curve, when I went looking for a ERP system for our machine shop, one of the leading criteria was that the ERP would have, or support the AS9100 standard. E2 was the only one that offered a QA module to help create our AS9100 documentation, then as a bonus E2 had a consultant come out and help set up our AS9100 Quality Management System, to top it off, another consultant came back out a few month later to do an audit of our documentation to make sure we were ready to take on the AS9100 registrar. E2 does have an AP & AR module however we wanted to be able to keep our financial information separate in QuickBooks, this ERP system allows you to flow order and purchase order information seamlessly from E2 to QuickBooks by syncing this information over. I really hope companies that are looking for an ERP system make E2 their choice. I did a lot of painstaking research on this and wish I would have found reviews of ERP systems like this to help me along. E2 does what it takes to run a business effectively and as an added surprise the software is cost effective as well.

Cons

The only Area I have had a challenge with would be the timeclock buzzer, the timeclock portion is provided by one of E2's partners and we recently had the buzzer stop working well, the e2 sofware is pinging the correct signal however the buzzer is not working correctly. So really this doesnt seem to be a E2 issue it is a computerwise issue (computerwise is the timeclock system)

richard from Cutting Edge Laser Machining

April 2013

We are a custom fabricator of precision metal parts and assemblies. We are very diverse in our customer market base, each of which has their particular needs and associated challenges. We started out several years ago using Excel spreadsheets for quoting that became increasingly complex and customized. The maintenance aspect of the quotes and quoting process became very convoluted and messy. The biggest problem with a Microsoft product system was the ability for any user to accidentally make changes to the quoting sheet for one particular customer and that calculation would carry over to other quotes. We knew that we needed to improve the process of quoting and tracking time associated with each project. In addition, we wanted to add BOM and stock tracking capabilities, so we began to look at all of the options available. We researched JobBoss, Citrux, Syspro, Intuit and Microsoft Dynamics. Each of the software platforms had pros and cons. For us, the determining factors were price per function and the feature set offerings that were specifically designed for manufacturing. We did not want to custom tailor a software package for our shop. We wanted a software that was already set up for the way we do business, all we had to do was populate the fields and learn the basic functions. Overall, E2 has been a good decision for our company. It has allowed us to scale up and spend much less time tracking order status, employee and machine utilization and keeping track of BOMs without the use of Excel spreadsheets, which we used to use for everything. Excel was a good starting tool for us, but was not sustainable as we have grown. We are much leaner now than before and I feel that we are able to generate and evaluate useful BI data for evaluation. We like having the ability to know the time it takes us to process a particular job through the shop, and the ability for administrative employees to be able to check the status of a job. We have recommended E2 to two of our supply chain partners since inception. One of the companies uses it and does well with it. The other company never embraced it and made the commitment to fully transition over to it. The moral of the story: It is a good tool, but it is not a five minute process to transition into it. It requires a champion within your organization that will learn it and be willing to get the data transfer set up so that your company can make a hard-stop transition over to using the system and not look back to your current system. Human nature is to resist change and you will have to manage your staffs desire to keep using your current system because its comfortable and quicker, due to their knowledge of the current system. We have had a few issues along the way that have been frustrating (probably 5 times in 6 years). On a few occasions we have lost some data and had employees that were unable to input data into the system. We believe that the root cause was the system failing in some way while an employee was logging data. For example, If I am inputting data into an order and there is a fault (for any reason: power dip, hardware on my computer, etc) the E2 system sees this a problem because I was in the main database and when the network connection is re-established. We back up our data daily and can always revert to the previous days data. This was a fairly easy fix, but the primary frustration was the lost time determining that the system is no longer recording the data that we put in. Ratings: Initial Install and data transfer, 7 (The tool to do this has gotten better since we migrated our data) Training and support, 9 (Support has been good) Ease of use and how easy to work with, ( Initially, 7. Now that we are comfortable with it, 9) Any hiccoughs or glitches, (Yes, but minor, and probably in line with industry standard.) Accuracy of info generated, 9 (You must ensure that employees are logging into and out of jobs accurately. This takes time, but will become a learned behavior. We have a lady in our office view the employee's log twice per day to ensure that they are logged into a job. If not, then they have to explain why) We would purchase E2 again.

Nick from Industrial Engineering

E2 Shop System Review

See my answer under "Pros".

Pros

The software is very easy to learn and the interface is extremely easy to navigate. The modules provided exactly mirror the processes in our business so almost every part of the software is applicable to our day to day operations. Having our business data archived, accessible and organized has sped up and simplified many of the tasks that used to take much longer. Estimates are now completed much faster and processes such as material receiving, shipping or the production of purchase orders for our vendors have become standardized and much easier to do. The time savings and insights into our business / production processes have made us more competitive and our customers (especially our larger industrial customers) see value in the advantages we've gained from the software.

Cons

The one part of the software that we find of little value is scheduling. This may not be the case for other users but as a job shop we've found that the scheduling module simply doesn't work with the realities of our production processes.

Susan from Aerosafe Technologies, Aerosafe Processing

Users since 2005

My overall experience has been very good with all E2 aspects, my concerns have always been handled professionally and quickly. They have been able to modify or create a new program I have requested in a timely efficient manner.

Pros

I like everything about this software. We have two sites, although we are considered Aerosafe Companies we are in fact two separate companies with their own receivables and payable. I like that I can switch back and forth with ease. I use the accounting modules mostly which are wonderful, I have never had a problem with them. I also use the Purchasing module as I order tooling, material, supplies etc., The Inventory module is great allowing me to allocate all items to a GL code I have set up.

Cons

There are no cons as far as I am concerned and would recommend it to anyone. I have done so on more than one occasion.

Robert from ARM CAMCO LLC

Industry: Utilities

Growing Our Business

Seventeen years ago I was brought into CAMCO to research and implement a comprehensive business and shop control solution for them. Other previous attempts to do so weren't working out and then we found Shoptech. I'm still here! Shoptech has enabled us to control and track the hundreds of jobs and thousands of associated parts that flow through our business monthly. We can see where our time and materials are and have a precise breakout of costs and income. The accounting and reports module generate all that is needed for our accountants to do their respective tasks and give upper management the oversight they need to run the business.

Pros

We're a growing company and as such have turn-over and new personnel growth. E2 is intuitive and our new employees seem to be able to adapt into the system with minimal effort and training. As the IT person here I have witnessed that peer-to-peer training seems to be all that is required to have that new person up and running on E2 within a short time and with little involvement from me, that's a big help! From Shipping and Receiving through final Billing, if our new hire has basic computing skills, their transition into that respective E2 function hasn't been a major training concern.

Cons

We're a service and repair facility and it took considerable effort improvising and rethinking to adapt the system into our way of doing things. Initially the software seemed to be over-kill and confusing for our needs but with time we were able to merge our methods with the system and adapt.

Sal from RTS Cutting Tools Inc.

Great Job Shop Software

Although the move from the Professional version to the web based E2 system has had some issues that still have not been resolved I would still recommend E2. The people at E2 are great and are always trying to improve their product and in time I think it will be exactly what we are looking for. I still want to see a Sales/CRM Module and then I'd say it's pretty close to being a complete system.

Pros

The new web based software works well and is easy to use. The integration of the of all the different modules is very nice. Data collection tied to operations and job travelers gives us a great way to quote more accurately and efficiently. The Rapid Documentation System gives you all that you'll need to become ISO certified and ties right into your E2 system. The new apps that they have created have added features making it easy to enter additional information and part pictures.

Cons

The web based system has a repository manager which is the weakest link in the system. It's time consuming to upload documents, enter documents into document control, and then link to the part number. This needs to be simplified. Also all the documents must be PDF's if you want them to print with a job traveler. In the new web based system you will be mouse clicking all over the screen instead of tabbing from field to field. Also you will need a large monitor to minimize the screen from jumping around and still be able to see the font.

August 2011

Lee from Delta Gear, Inc.

August 2011

Delta Gear (formerly TIFCO Gage & Gear) is a privately held entity providing advanced machining services to the aerospace industry. E2 was implemented at Delta Gear in 2004 after the company was acquired and moved to our current location in Livonia, MI. In keeping with the company mission to strategically invest in the latest machining technologies, Delta Gear also upgraded the business system to an enterprise-wide solution that could centralize critical processes, provide real-time status, and still be relatively easy to use and maintain. E2 was selected and quickly implemented using the primary modules of estimating, sales, purchasing, shipping, and billing. This model served the company well for about five years. However, as the company grew and customer requirements increased, we recognized that our model needed adjustment and that there were E2 functions available that could help us meet these new demands. Accordingly, in mid-2009 we initiated an improvement project to move us to the next level of E2 and business system effectiveness. First, an internal E2 champion was dedicated to the project with the charge to be a functional leader/liaison between the system, our staff and E2 support resources, which have always been very responsive and helpful. Next, a full evaluation of our Table master data was performed and we discovered that we could significantly increase our performance visibility by improving that data. With that foundation in place, we began to implement unused E2 functions. For example, Document Control became a key tool in our successful migration from ISO 9000 to AS9100. Also, our legacy paper-based Non-Conformance and Corrective Action program is now centralized on E2 and links to the associated items and jobs to which they apply. Employee training records were also migrated to E2 and we are now testing the Work Center and Tooling Maintenance functions. Even more important has been the improvement recognized by better use of the Advanced Scheduling and Purchasing systems. After tailoring our work-center master data, we can now identify potential bottlenecks and address them before they occur. Purchasing is now using the auto-ordering tools that pull from job requirements defined in bills of materials and orders. Finally, these efforts have allowed us to effectively use most of the QuickView module to provide real-time performance data as well as to export reports for monthly business metric presentations. These are then logged into Document Control as objective evidence for AS/ISO, or customer surveillance audits. By embracing the disciplines embedded in E2, we are steadily moving from a reactive to a pro-active planning approach for our entire enterprise. Our business has recently moved to a larger state-of-the-art facility and we are confident that E2 will be able to handle our growth effectively.

August 2011

Lari from Forward Technologies, Inc.

August 2011

Forward Technologies is a small Job Shop in Springfield, OH. We specialize in machining plastics. When I started at Forward Tech in 2007 we were using Peachtree software for our accounting system, Excel Spreadsheets for scheduling and quoting and a paper system for purchasing (NO POS). In 2008 we started looking at software systems - my boss is always interested in improvements. That year we added another mill and lathe to the shop and our capacity had increased; handling everything was becoming more difficult. We looked at several systems but E2 just blew them all away. There was no doubt in anyones mind we wanted this system. Implementation was reasonably easy - we were starting from scratch so we were able to do things exactly the way we wanted. Of course we found out later it wasnt exactly the way we wanted, but changes were easily made and with experience we are running very smoothly. With time and confidence we have utilized more aspects of the system. At first it was Order Entry-Purchasing- Accounting- then a real push to Time Tracking. We have not implemented scheduling but I see a time in the very near future when we will. Our use of the Quality Module is sporadic but that is a manpower issue, not a software one. I cannot say enough about Trisha, our in house rep. During implementation and the year afterward, she was always there to help and in fact still is. She answers emails instantly and I think she might even take some at home because I have received responses late in the evening. Since the addition of Tech View on the website, I can find the answers to some of my questions very quickly without bugging Trisha (I love the info sheets under Knowledge). One of the techs is always available; they get back to me quickly and help me fix whatever issue I might have. How has E2 helped our shop? Since purchasing E2 we have doubled our capacity, hired more machinists, doubled our square footage and tripled our job load. Being able to easily track what is in-house, what is on order, order history, pricing, did we make money, did we lose money, the ability to play with pricing and have an idea of the profitability of the part, the ease of cross-referencing POs with invoices all of these things have made my life so much easier. As the shop has grown I have been able to keep up- and I think a lot of it is due to E2. I also think that E2 has given us confidence that we are actually making a profit and with that confidence the knowledge that we can keep growing. We will be adding another Mill this fall. Have there been difficulties? Of course, there always is with change but I LOVE this system. If we have experienced resistance, well, that is a part of life. If I have to use a cattle prod on my fellas then I will use a cattle prod, because at the end of the day what I get from E2 is worth it.

April from J.W. Reffel Metals Foundry

Works for us

The customer service provided by E2 has always been outstanding. I appreciate that they are regularly making improvements and seem to respond to user feedback in a timely manner. This system works well for our needs.

Pros

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to navigate through. We do not utilize everything E2 has to offer. We create orders, packing slips, invoices and vendor PO's with E2. We are in an internet deadzone and have really bad service in the shop so we are unable to use the data collection portion and we use QuickBooks for our billing. for what we use it for it works great. The traveler make sense, creating packing slips and invoices is simple and the customer service is top notch.

Cons

The interface is not really intuitive, there was a big learning curve for my team. For example, when we were first trying to print job travelers we were hitting the "print" button in the top right. This was not the correct button. The correct button is "reprint" on the left side of the screen. Why would we be "reprinting" something that we haven't even printed yet? And why have two print options when one isn't even really an option? Another example with some of our frustrations is with the GL accounts. You have to assign an account to a tool in order for it to be properly assigned in QuickBooks. When invoicing, you are required to enter what GL account you would like that invoice assigned to, but it does nothing. The GL accounts are attached to tools, not invoices. If you do your bookkeeping in QuickBooks it is pointless. It would be really helpful if you could assign your GL account in the invoicing stage, but you can't.

April 2012

Lisa from Allied Sheet Metal Works, Inc.

April 2012

We are a small third-generation custom sheet metal fabrication shop that has garnered a reputation for high quality, honest work, and trying to help all of our customers meet their increasingly shorter delivery times. Before E2 Shop System, we were using an outdated custom-written software for the Mac and updating that software into the 21st century was proving difficult and expensive. One day I received a mailer from ShopTech that said ''Are you controlling your shop, or is it controlling you?'' I thought to myself 'Isn't that the truth!!' So I called the number and talked to Greg in sales and after much consideration, we made the leap to the windows-based E2. It took approximately one year to fully migrate over to E2 once all the new hardware was set-up. I believe it could have been faster if we had an actual IT person. That being said, I'm not trained in IT, nor had much experience with Windows, but E2 was fairly easy to set up. It does take some getting used to, mostly because people are used to other software and have to make the mental switch, but once you figure out how everything ties in together, it's easy. The tech support staff was fantastic in helping me set up a windows server and they connected me with another customer that had done the same thing, which was extraordinarily helpful. We still use our Macs, but we LOVE E2 Shop System! My father even prefers the quoting method of E2 to the old custom program! It has allowed us to improve turn-around times on jobs and eliminated the constant bother of trying to figure out where jobs were in process in the shop. It has also improved our billing process; simplifying many tasks. It takes about 5 minutes to run the month end pdf reports for the accountant, vs an entire day of sorting actual paper in the old system. Everything is tied together and searching the system for just about anything is super-easy. I have customers call me all the time to look up information for them that they can't even find in their own systems. Our shop floor employees love being able to see what job they are clocked in on and eventually they will be able to know what job they should work on next. I haven't had time yet to delve into the wealth of data to analyze and quantify the exact benefit of E2, but just from our books, we can tell a marked increase in revenue, and we now can tell the actual real-time cost of jobs, rather than waiting until the next day's import. We have yet to harness it's full potential, since we are so small and focused on production, but there's only one way to go from here....up!!! Thank you SO MUCH to Janelle, Corey, Melissa, Greg and the rest of the ShopTech team that has helped me over the years. You have no idea how fantastic it is to call tech support and get the same, friendly, English-speaking, and knowledgeable people every time.

April 2016

Dave from Roseville Precision, Inc.

Industry: Mining & Metals

April 2016

An invaluable and integral tool for our business growth and success

Pros

We have been using E2 in our shop for over ten years, and it has proven itself worthy of the investment time and time again. It is a thorough and well rounded system which assists us in successfully tracking our work load, material inventory, customer database, etc. Utilizing the scheduling tools, such as the Whiteboard, has become essential for evaluating our WIP, providing an overview of jobs in process and tracking due dates. The time tickets and performance summaries are extremely beneficial in measuring employee efficiencies. We are in regular communication with technical support, customizing the individual modules to accommodate the evolution of our business practices and constantly growing and changing capabilities. They have helped us create custom reports and summaries which allow us to categorically track productivity and expenses across the board.

Cons

The major issue we have with the software is the cost of additional seats. Our company has maintained strong, consistent growth over the past decade and as we have expanded, it has been difficult to justify the cost of additional users. As we tend to hold out on purchasing new seats until absolutely necessary, it would be nice to see some price breaks as we continue to add users.

August 2011

Vernon from Qualastat Electronics, Inc.

August 2011

Qualastat Electronics, Inc. has been in business since 1986, specializing in the manufacturing of electronic cable and wire harness assemblies. Included in our product line are RF assemblies, including phase-matched and time delay and fiber-optic cable assemblies. When the company reached the point where we could not adequately track inventory nor easily quote new assemblies, we decided to install an ERP system. We looked at a number of software packages that could be adapted to our organization but selected E2 due to its comprehensiveness, cost and ease of use. Prior to installing E2 we used a hodgepodge of programs including DBA, Databases and spreadsheets. We quickly found that we could stop using everything but E2. Our quotes became more complete, which prevented us from leaving out tooling, NRE charges, minimum purchase costs and helped us instantly become repetitive with our quotes. We found that with the use of job costing, using barcoding the the manufacturing area, we could review closed jobs and make quick changes to our estimated labor before quoting the same or similar items in the future. We now are able to analyze manufacturing processes by each individual operator and can determine what training needs to be done to improve efficiencies. The quality module made ISO-9001 certification much easier to obtain. Almost everything needed to become and stay compliant with ISO requirements are contained and provided inside the E2 program. Our customer satisfaction and vendor quality are now easy to measure, which helps us to continually improve our business and product. We found that the savings we realized and the ability to see our true costs enabled us to see a two year payback and now everything is just more profit or savings to our customers. We sent most of our staff and management personnel to get classroom training and have also had a local representative come into our facility for more specialized training and to provide refresher training. This has proven to be very effective and everyone was able immediately to run with the program. Shoptech has proven to be a very supportive organization. Our employees enjoy the ability to call in and immediately resolve problems or issues they face. Nobody has had an instance where the customer support person could not help, which is uncommon in our industry. There may be a better software package available for us to use. If it exists, I have not seen it and I would be very skeptical about any other software coming close to providing for us what E2 gives us on a continuous basis. I would highly recommend any job shop type organization to purchase the whole program and not leave out any modules since they all complement each other and make the whole program cost-effective and useful.

E2 was easy to learn and the layout follows a logical manufacturing flow

E2 makes our manufacturing easy to track and analyze. It is a very simple but powerful software.

Pros

My favorite part about E2 is the simple layout and design of each module. Anyone with an understanding of the flow in manufacturing can learn this software quickly. Also, the software is somewhat flexible which makes it easy to tailor around your company's specific style of processing jobs and orders. There is also a lot of useful data you can pull from the system to analyze manufacturing costs. My favorite is the Job Cost Summary which allows you to see in detail every cost of a specific job.

Cons

The one module I find difficult to use is the Scheduling module. For our company's style of manufacturing it has been hard to use and implement. We mostly build to stock, but we get a lot of build to order jobs that have to be rushed through manufacturing and really mess up the scheduling. I still have a lot to learn about the Scheduling module, but I wish there was a way to use sales history to continually update the job completion date. This would allow us to reschedule our work in progress to fill the shelves before we run out of stock. This module has a lot of promise but for now seems a bit cumbersome to use effectively.

April 2012

Bobby from A. C. Horn & Co.

April 2012

A.C. Horn & Co. is a custom sheet metal manufacturer (job shop). We will make almost anything from a customer's drawing. We specialize in food processing and packaging equipment. We also have our own line of popcorn and peanut processing equipment. Our owners grandfather in Dallas, circa 1907 as a tin shop, founded the company. Our old manufacturing software was complicated and very inflexible, plus was no longer going to be supported by the small company that wrote and developed it. This was a good opportunity for me to recommend to the owners that is was time to change. I wanted software that was more user friendly, menu driven so it would be easy to learn, and more flexible. Also, payroll and time entry had to be clean and a single entry. Before E2 Shop System, we used a company called Caelus, based in the northwest. It handled payroll also and is very detailed in the accounting area. That was acceptable, but it made our company "accounting-driven", instead of "manufacturing-driven"... we make our money in manufacturing, not accounting... We use the 7.2.14 release. I just noticed that .15 has been released and I will install it very soon. We purchased the software in the fall of 2010, and implemented it on the first workday in 2011. Implementation was a ton of work, long hours, and much trouble-shooting and phone calls to the technical help number. I know changing any software is a monumental task, so in my opinion, the implementation went well. Everyone on the help desk was helpful, and I especially leaned on the accounting team because that is an area I am not familiar with. Most of my team learned the software fairly quickly, but some who are not as computer literate struggled. I had some issues with a few who tried to "force" the software to do things it was not designed, nor capable of doing. That took some time to sort out, but it helped us learn the limits of E2. I still call the support line (although not as frequently), and it seems the first person who answers the phone is sometimes less knowledgeable than I am. Usually, if I have a real problem or question, it will get kicked up to another level. The benefits we have realized are in the organization and planning of our proprietary equipment. It has much greater flexibility than our previous software. The system is much more open in the estimating area. Our AP and AR persons like the easier processing in this area. Accounting, however, is still a challenge. I think we are still fairly new users, having 15 months under our belt. We have not even touched the scheduling feature, and only two or three of us are using the quote feature (which is great), so we still have more steps to take to fully utilize the software.

Virginia from PNM Company

August 2016

My experience with E2 Shoptech software.

For 2 + years now I have had the pleasure of using E2. I have been in the manufacturing business for over 37 years. Many of software programs have come across my path. Without a shadow of a doubt E2 surpasses the software that I have utilized.

Pros

E2 is a very user friendly program. E2 is easy to maneuver through the software. E2 also offers a traditional standard view or a ribbon view which allows the customer to choose their preference. One of the many particular things I LOVE about E2 is their senior consultant Alicia Fox. I just have to say that Alicia goes above and beyond to help out the customers along with Rhonda Dowd account manager whose response time to my inquiries is outstanding! Also the available online tutorial and the technical support which in my opinion is phenomenal! it offers. "Hands down the BEST software that I have ever used"!

Cons

One thing I would have to say where E2 falls short in my book. The ability to view some of the information. What I mean by this is, some user fields only allow a partial view. Especially in the accounts payable/vendor field.

John from Gerhardt Gear

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

Necessary tool for manufacturing shop

We need a system that could fulfill our shop needs. E2 Shop System is user-friendly while providing multiple functions to our shop. it really helps ensuring traceability especially when our shop requires AS9100 standard. If and when E2 system have some glitches, customer service are always easy to reach and can resolve issues remotely.

Pros

The thing our shop like most about this software is the ease of use. Unlike other system (such as Oracle), new users can pick up the basic functions within a week, with ease. For example, a newly hired purchaser can create a PO easily within first couple days. All the PO requirements can be pulled up merely by searching with job number or part number. This shop system is ideal for shops like us that do not have 3 months training period just for understanding and/or using shop software. This also increase the work efficiency of employees.

Cons

In the summary sections (order summary, purchasing summary, inventory summary), we wish there are more output options we can select. Example a chart that can conclude summary would be a very nice addition. This can visualize our shop trend and would be a great input to management meetings.

Al from VFI Fabricators

April 2013

We operate a precision sheetmetal shop in NJ. We fabricate simple parts to large complex multi level assemblies and everything in between for our customers. They demand a high quality item and when we went shopping for a new software system, we knew we needed one that would be up for the challenge. Our company was loosing control of raw inventory. We could not easily connect costs associated with a job to that job. Tracking jobs live on the floor was a chore also. Our old system was supposed to help us manage everything from order entry through the shipping, but it was just not up to the task. We spent more time working for our system than the system did working for us! We had looked at several companies before making our decision. We chose E2 because they had a system that could do all of what we needed and more. You are told how good a system is, how capable it is, all the typical sales talk. Well, believe it when it comes to E2 software and it's people. First of all, the folks are top notch. From the salesman to the service and training folks. They walked us through the implementation preparation. We were nervous about the impementation set up. Listen to them and take the time to set it up right, it may seem daunting but the extra hours you put into the set up will make for smoother sailing after implementation. From the first phone contact to implementation we felt comfortable with the folks at E2. Secondly, the software does what it says! Not only have we gotten accurate raw inventory counts for a full year, we were pleasantly surprised with other aspects. Purchasing has become much easier and less time consuming using the Job Requirements Report. Tracking jobs and connecting costs to the job are a breeze. You can even connect a cost that was not associated with the original estimate! The ability to "drill down" for information, both historical and present time is awesome. One area we would love to see a change in though, would be the material calculator. We need to do a little more off line calculating than we'd like to. Besure to go over that area with your sales rep. No reason not to buy E2 what with all the ease the rest of the system has to offer. We have been operating E2 for 14 months now and are happy we made the choice to partner with them. We have seen better control of all facets of our manufacturing process: raw inventory, finished good inventory, parts lists, purchasing, real time tracking and cost analysis. The software is terrific, but the people there to help you are even better. What more could you ask for, it's a great product with great service! Thanks E2 Team!

Vanessa from Electonic Assemblies (EAM)

EAM

Overall I would say I am pleased with the software on a daily basis. We have learned to work around the restrictiveness but it is often a repeated topic for us and is what we consider a major flaw, Had we know before purchase how restrictive it is to making changes we might not have opted to buy,

Pros

The system does have some great capabilities, it allows full visibility for our production floor. It also encompasses added features such as Quality, Accounting and Scheduling. And customer support/tech support is amazing. If it wasn't for their support your software wouldn't be as successful as it has been for me. And lastly your help section has improved light years, that too is so Helpful!

Cons

The software can be cumbersome at times and too restrictive. The way it ties together orders, work orders, inventory and purchase orders makes it next to impossible to make changes once processed, We work in an ever changing environment and the software makes it next to impossible to be able to support our customer changes without a LOT of extra work behind the scenes. You also need to focus on adding the "bells and whistles". Minor add ons often make the user experience so much more pleasant, Lastly there is a major lack of Note fields throughout the modules and your CRM portion could use lots of improvements as well.

Mike from Scandia Plastics/Pexco LLC

Shoptech experience

As a manufacturer of plastic tubes and extrusions, we have been using E2 Shoptech since 2005. It replaced a very costly "Great Plains" software that we had been using and we have not looked back since. Very satisfied

Pros

E2 Shoptech is easy to learn, keeps track of all necessary metrics, is very forgiving when mistakes are made on self-inflicted data input, and customizable to fit the needs of most companies.

Cons

If I had to find 1 weakness that pertains to our use of the program is that it could use a more visually impacting display for a shipping schedule. Shoptech does compile all necessary shipping data - just doesn't display it in a format that works for us. Probably would work for most other companies - just not a perfect display for us. Shoptech does permit workarounds and we have found this to be a very easy solution. Shoptech automatically sends shipping, BOL, tracking, etc to a standalone shipping schedule display that Shoptech helped us develop. Again, not a serious con as it was easily correctible to our satisfaction.

Erica from X-Mil Inc.

Good software

Overall this is the best application for what we need. The customer service is top notch. The custom development team is good.

Pros

I like the fact the you can route, have job costing, accounting, etc all in one area. For this type of application, this is the best software to choose from. Shoptech continues to make improvements and listens to the customers on where to improve.

Cons

The quality module needs improved as well as the scheduling. The repository in unusable.

Chris from Innovative Manufacturing and Design LLC

Excellent software for a shop or manufacturing company big or small.

before buying any software make sure it look seriously at E-2. Their prices are more affordable than you would think and by far best program for you.

Pros

the newest version of the software is great. the ability to create new items, quotes, jobs etc. is very easy. I looked into several different software options and to get the cloud based software the cost was higher than i expected and other company seemed to push to have you buy the on premise versions. the ability to add shop users later is not only easy but very affordable. the nice thing is you dont have to have shop users to be able to track or log times per job. you can enter in manually so if you are a smaller shop you can still take advantage of all the benefits of the software and be able to track P & L quick and easy.

Cons

My only downside to this was i used an old version for several years at another company. I was very jaded about looking at it for our new shop because how my previous employer had it set up. after seeing the newest version and all the improvements my mind was changed very quickly.

Carlos from Tilco Machine Works, Inc.

Outstanding Software - Outstanding Service

We have been a long time customer and have been very pleased with the software and the incredible support all along the way. Whether it was during implementation or random questions that come up from time to time, E2 has always been there for us.

Pros

E2 is very intuitive and easy to use. Once you become familiar with how it works and what it can do for you, it becomes a VERY powerful tool to help you run your shop/operation. We like the fact that we can incorporate data collection to help us track times and jobs in process. The ability to generate quotes, routers, purchase orders, and packing slips, makes it a simple and robust solution for us. The Quickbooks interface is also very helpful as that is what we use on the accounting side.

Cons

There is not anything I like the least about E2....implementation does take some time so that requires patience but once things are in place things work great. Only other thing I would change is being able to place an order for the same material size but different lengths on the same PO on different line items.

Ryan from Penn Wood Products, Inc.

Industry: Building Materials

E2 Review

We use this system every day to manage our manufacturing, warehousing, and distribution activities.

Pros

Our company has utilized E2 for 18 years and I have been a user for 13+ years. It is a robust system. We have had virtually no downtime due to system related issues. We started with the MDB version and migrated to SQL about 7 years ago. No issues with either. The support team has always been superb - - easy to get a hold of and not in a hurry to hang up. I appreciate that. Overall just a really good software package and a great company to deal with. If you invest in this software, do yourself a favor and get Crystal Reports and write your own reports for data retrieval. System is open to allow for this functionality and will make the use of the data even better.

Cons

The ability to customize is limited in regards to functionality. The company prefers to keep the backbone "vanilla" and I do understand it. However there are times that we could get a big gain from a tweak and we are just not able to get it done.

NJ from UNITED CENTERLESS GRINDING & THREAD ROLLING

E2 Shoptech

It has helped tracking of real job cost exponentially. For our type of service there needs to be other options available for reports (I realize we can pay you for custom reports but for our type of business it seems like it should already be there). Also I think that in estimate/quote/orders there should be two lines for misc. tooling/charge because a lot of times there is a setup charge that is recurring and tooling charges that are not always recurring but are incurred none the less. You should also be able to bring data into estimate from quote instead of only the other way around. Small business service companies don't have the time to create an estimate in order to give a price on a job. We can look at a part after being around for almost 60 years and say, eh that looks like about a $200 job. We purchase no material, it is all customer supplied so there are no costs associated with the job other than our labor and occasionally tooling so it is a waste of time to make an estimate when you may not even win the job. We type up a quote and then maybe 3 days or maybe 3 weeks later we win the job I want to be able to go into estimate at this point and pull in the info from my quote...part number, pricing, description....then I can add the routing and the part notes.

Pros

Easy to navigate

July 2016

Susan from Precision Technologies, Inc.

To tell the truth...

I started using E2 in 2006 when I began working at Precision Technologies. The software was already installed but it wasn't fully integrated throughout the company. Routers were minimal, no time wanding...just a lot of things that needed to be implemented. I found it extremely easy to get it up and running to where all could benefit from the information collected by E2. Soon we were ready for ISO...and because the software helped to organize our company, that was easy to do!

Pros

As a previous user of a competitors software, I must say that the ease of use is extremely important to any company; and I find E2 very user friendly! It's everything you need to know or see at your fingertips.

Cons

Our company has transitioned since inception of E2 and now we do an incredible amount of large assemblies and they are on kanban. This is the only area that I can honestly say I wish there was a better way to keep track of stock jobs and inventory. *Small assemblies not on kanban are a piece of cake*

Daniella from Iafrate Machine Works Ltd.

Industry: Oil & Energy

E2 is a fully functional Shop program that is user friendly and a great product.

Pros

The software allows you to create items on the fly to eliminate down time. E2 is very customizable to your specific needs in your organization. E2 has integrated the various currencies that are used in transactions. The software has user security so that you can limit the information seen by each user It is a fully functional program that takes the part from inception and quote stage to the full out Order processing and then to shipping. We love the integration with Data Collection to minimize input of labour entries Customer Service is great and they can usually fix the issue within 1 or 2 phone calls unless it is a larger issue but is also escalated to keep the down time to a minimum. It is also pretty easy to teach new employees on how to use the program.

Cons

The software is a great product and I really don't have anything we don't like about the program. We use it daily and very rarely do we have any issues.

Mollie from Graetz Mfg., Inc.

Great Option for Small Manufacturing Business

Pros

E2 Shop is very user friendly! It is easy to navigate and easy to understand. E2 Shop has the best customer service we have experienced and has a wonderful online discussion board and help documents to help along the way.

Cons

We have experienced a good amount of "glitches" and software "hang-ups" that require a system repair which we were advised to do every 2 weeks. (All have proven to be software related).

Ed from Hillside Engineering

E2 Software User Evaluation

I have been using this software for the past six years in a small, make-to-order machine shop. I use it for everything from the estimating process through invoicing and financial performance reporting. In general, it serves me very well. We do not have sufficient bandwidth to use it to it's full potential, but hope to grow to the level where we can. Shoptech also does a good job of support, which is key with any business control system.

Pros

Relative ease of use. I like how the modules work together as you create estimates, add them to quotes, and ultimately, convert the quotes to orders. If you spend your time doing a thorough job on the estimate, the rest of the process flows easily from there.

Cons

Some of the canned reports and screens aren't well laid out. Lack of multiple routing capability for an item. No part where-used, which is important when you are using multi-level bills.

William from K&H Precision Products, Inc.

Controller

Very, very good. I'd been aware of E2 for many years hoping to have an opportunity to use it. When I joined a company that had it in place, about 9 months ago, it met all my expectations. It covers all the vital operational and accounting / financial bases that a make-to-order business requires drawing focus to critical activities and reporting.

Pros

Well targeted and designed product specific to the custom, make-to-order manufacturing setting. Software that helps "show the way" rather than "get in the way" (with complexity). Relatively simple, yet powerful. Solid fundamentals. Well conceived and well developed - everything is there. Very intuitive interface, short learning curve. We've used the web product for the past year and the speed is outstanding along with great convenience. Screen driven help and training information are extensive and well done.

Cons

A statement of cash flows report should be added to the income statement and balance sheet financial statements.

Jake from Kamps Custom Fabrication

Online usability was a game changer

Before having E2 I was keeping paper files of every piece of material that I had on hand. When going back to bill, it was so time-consuming to flip through all of my inventory orders and trying to keep them straight. It also saves a lot of time when quoting with the automatic functions that are built-in.

Pros

The online interface that is active was a huge time-saving feature for a small shop like my own. At the end of the day instead of having to finish up all billing or quoting from the day, I could now go home and use the online interface to finish everything up. With young kids and a longer commute, it has made the workday more flexible.

Cons

Being a smaller shop, I hardly ever use the shipment function for my orders. It is a step that has to be done to get to the final billing step so it just takes more time than needed to get the invoices out. Very important to larger companies that ship daily and need to track all of their shipping labels and documents.