• Pros

• "This is a really great piece of software that has been well designed and implemented and does a great job in solving many problems and improving productivity."

• "We have had ZERO issues with this software, works great and is also a perfect alternative to store documents that others need to access"

• "Pretty easy to install for an open-source solution Easy to configure & upgrade"

• Cons

• "Sometimes uploading a folder and subfolders wasn't easy. One had to zip it before uploading which was a little time consuming. But for single files there was no such problem."

• "Update process between versions can be cumbersome depending on your installation and set up method."

• "the price was not affordable, hopefully that will change as other companies offer the same service"

Browse ownCloud Reviews

Octavi from CTTC - Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya

Industry: Research

Free cloud DIY

Having the capacity to get to every one of my documents from anyplace is incredible. I have a few terabytes of documents on my server, more than I would ever store with any of the cloud suppliers out there, in any event not at a sensible cost. When it is set up and designed it is entirely strong and does the activity I require it to do.

Pros

It has phenomenal capacities which encourages me keep my work all together, with my associates, I can synchronize every one of the records on various PCs, it's super sheltered since I can encode the documents, has online music peruser, online content tool, watcher of online archives (PDF, OpenDocument), among numerous different capacities.

Cons

The confounded method to coordinate different advances like FTP. The documentation for the execution of different techniques like FTP is somewhat confounded in comparisson with different instructional exercises.

Roberto from Self Employed

Great platform with a divided community

The software is great. It does its job and it does it perfect.

Pros

It's great to have autonomy on your cloud. You can get file storage that adapts to your very own infrastructure, plus it has a lot of plugins to interact with your data.

Cons

At some point the community divided and the product was forked, which left the people that uses it with two choices.

Reasons for Choosing ownCloud

It runs on my own infrastructure.

Brian from American Incorporated

Past its prime and headed the wrong direction

Good while still community oriented, now a dead-end product.

Pros

When I implemented ownCloud, it was a neat opensource platform with an active community, with the option of solid support at a fair price. Filesharing with "cloud" providers like Dropbox leaves you at their mercy for security (or lack thereof!) and the annoying clients require re-training on a regular basis. The support costs of the simple ownCloud web interface with drag-drop file uploading were one-time only. Performance was good enough, support was cheap enough, and it was fine for what we used it for.

Cons

Over the course of a few years, the founders left due to "professional managers" messing things up. Support costs went up with no real indication why. I dropped ownCloud paid and switched to a solid commercial product called FileCloud. For "free" OSS I strongly recommend NextCloud, I've helped several friends set it up and they are ecstatic with the results.

Mark from Cyberco Ltd

The "original" NextCloud - superb software

Owncloud served us well, was very stable and reliable and packed with functionality - highly recommended especially for commercial applications.

Pros

Cons

The fork to Nextcloud with purer development goals made a point in time where the leap to a new platform become compelling.

Steven from Raiffeisen Informatik

OwnCloud may become your long-term storage solution

I highly recommend this platform to all enterprises which are looking for a good solution to their document storage. The platform security is ensured: your files are protected by the username and password created by you. So, I advise you to give it a try and find your long-term storage solution.

Pros

It is important to know that the software is hosted, which means that it is accessible everywhere and on any devices. You can download and use the desktop clients on your PC or if you prefer to access it on your phone, the app is available for downloading as well. You can also use the synchronization function if you want the files on your PC to appear automatically in your OwnCloud account. And finally, what I really like about this software s that I don’t suffer sending large files via email, I just upload them in OwnCloud and share with whoever I want them to receive. You will be surprised to discover very convenient software where you can store your files and share it easily with your friends or colleagues. OwnCloud is mainly used by small and medium companies to store their documents and share them with clients. By the way, you can use the software not only for your business purposes but also for your own personal needs. You can upload your videos, music, books or other files of large size.

Cons

On the one hand, the sync feature makes everything easy and fast but on the other hand, if you accidentally delete a file it may disappear from everywhere with no chance to restore it. The time for loading and showing pictures and files is too long. In addition, it is impossible to watch videos. OwnCloud is storage, you can only store them but I wish I could also watch them. Working with the calendar and contacts is not easy. You need to add some plugins to share them via emails.

ownCloud or Nextcloud

Pros

It's great to have your storage in house. The piece of mind that you know where your data is at all times is important, but also, nothing beats local for speed. The clients (I use Windows, Linux and Android clients) make it super easy to sync across different devices - set up once and forget about it!

Cons

I've been going back and forth between ownCloud and Nextcloud (an ownCloud fork) for a couple of years. Started out with ownCloud, switched to Nextcloud, then found out that ownCloud development had caught up and then some, and switched back. Luckily switching is easy but ideally, you want the best of both.

So Cool!

Great software and a great idea for anyone who wants their own self-hosted cloud storage. No sharing, and you keep full control over your data. What's not to love?

Pros

OwnCloud is seriously cool. I used it for a few years on my personal server, making use of that storage for my cloud hosting. It was surprisingly easy-to-install, no hiccups or weird configuration problems with my server (I had it running on BlueHost), and the user interface was straightforward and easy to use. I didn't purchase the smartphone app, although that would have been really cool to try out.

Cons

The software is available at no charge, so it's silly to complain, but I would have liked the interface to be a bit less sterile looking. I imagine the paid platform probably targets enterprises that want on-premise, self-hosted solutions and don't care about having a fun and attractive UI, and to be fair, ownClouds UI is super clean and it is appealing, but it would have been nice if it was just a little less "Microsoftey." That's a pretty minimal complaint though.

andrew from Tesno Technologies

ownCloud lets you own your cloud.

Experience is overall positive as the benefits typically outweigh any difficulties. Data sovereignty and geo-fencing regulations are some of the main reasons I consider using ownCloud.

Pros

Controlling your own data, while enjoying much of the benefits of the likes of dropbox or onedrive. Ability to link mobile phones and sync contacts and calendars. File/folder sync between devices.

Reasons for Choosing ownCloud

Being able to be in total control of what is hosting your companies data is very nice, especially in today's age. Couple that with a touch of open source and an enterprise company that stands behind it for support and you got a clear winner.

Andreas from EGSTON

In the past this was areally good software, now there is air upward

Pros

The fact, that you are able to install the Host on nearly every source you like (NAS, computer, raspberry,...). So you can scale the cloud as you like!

Cons

The con is about the android application. It it very buggy so that the auto backup doesn't work.

Brian from Personal

Former User

My overall experience was good, but I chose to migrate to Nextcloud due to features available at the time.

Pros

At the time I used this software, this was the only option. I have since moved to Nextcloud due to perception of ownCloud losing ground to Nextcloud.

Cons

The upgrade process was less automated vs Nextcloud.

Easy file sharing

We frequently have to share very large files (zip files, videos, etc.) with our clients for their approvals. This process was always complicated and we employed a number of solutions over the years. None has been as easy to use and as reliable as ownCloud. It has literally made my life easier. I am able to organize files into folders with separate passwords and urls allowing me to share only what is needed to specific people. I know that my clients will be able to access and download what they need, when they need it. That gives me great piece of mind.

Pros

This software makes it very easy and RELIABLE to share files with our clients and others. It offers a very easy to use interface and has NEVER failed to upload or download. Prior to getting this tool, we struggled with method for sharing (especially large) files with our clients. Once our IT dept got a hold of ownCloud and customized it for our use, my life got measurably easier.

Cons

The only issue I have ever had with it is when I was surprised by a site expiring. Now, I know it was my fault to set a date and then forget it...but it would be nice to receive a notice when an expiration date is nearing. I have learned how to manage that better, but would still appreciate a notification.

Javier Victor Marian from Infobyte Security Research

Pioneer on open source cloud storage.

I love owncloud, i been there almost since it born, and I'm using it now, actively participating in the community.

Pros

I been using owncloud for at least 10 years. I'm part of the translation to spanish too. I got mad at bugs, problems, etc, but this growed quick and bugs were repaired. Now, is the solution that I use internal in the institution (government) and for my personal customers, for backup. The big pro is that the space its what you can afford in hard drives. Easy to maintain. Secure. With a lot of addons for productivity and integration. Clients for every single OS that exist.

Cons

As same as dropbox and other products, the big con that I found is that every time that the client starts needs to scan all folders. In big folders with a lot of files, this take a while and it use a lot of hard drive. So when your OS starts client will kill the HD until finishing the indexing of files.

Michelle from Belfay

Great software

My experience has been positive, I will continue to use and tell others about it

Pros

Cons

I do not have anything to say about this software that would be a con

Reasons for Choosing ownCloud

This was the best option for us and was very affordable

Response from ownCloud

Replied July 2019

Thank you very much for this review. Great to hear that you have had zero issues and that ownCloud is helpful for your work. Just in case any questions or issues should arise, we are always happy to help. So don't hesitate to contact us, for details see: https://owncloud.org/help/

Binod from International Association of Physics Students

A perfect Cloud Storage for an organization

Overall Owncloud is a perfect place to organize and backup your files and documents.

Pros

We used Owncloud as our backup storage of our organization documents. I liked the ease of upload, share and version control.

Scott from Getronics

Host your own cloud

While I ultimately decided to go with Nextcloud over this one they both work really well and if the idea of an enterprise version appeals to you for business reasons then this is the way to go. Own cloud functions well and does a fantastic job of syncing files between my computers and MY cloud.

Pros

Keep your files onsite. you don't have to relinquish control of your files to some cloud provider to enjoy the sync and sharing privileges that they offer you can run your own cloud. This is a storage platform that stores your files like Dropbox and sync's them with your computer or computers . They have clients for Linux, Mac , Windows, Android and iOS. There is a free version but also there is a paid enterprise version with expanded features. There is also a growing market place of apps that you can install on your instance to expand functionality even further.

Cons

Can be a little complicated to setup initially. Not all features are available in the free/open source version.

Remi from EasyCare

Industry: Information Services

Great aelf hosted platform

Pros

Pretty easy to install for an open-source solution Easy to configure & upgrade

Cons

The cache configuration can be complicated to configure. I have an issue on sharing a file on an external storage. Développers know about it, but it seems complicated to solve

Daniel from Cibersys

Excellent tool for sharing files in the cloud

Excellent tool to share and save files in the cloud

Pros

Easy handling, installation and configuration. After its implementation there is a cloud storage service, low cost that does not envy anything to similar programs with licensing costs

Cons

Being an Open Source, you can find information on the network, and in this way it can be violated by knowing how it is installed and configured.

Keep control of your files

Saving fines onto our own hardware allows for flexibility while maintaining control over the full software stack.

Pros

Having my files on a server I control is a significant benefit. The user interface makes sharing files easy, with shares including an optional expiry date.

Cons

Installation and updates take some knowledge of Linux systems, and troubleshooting gets very technical quickly. This should be expected, since you are running a powerful server.

Markus from QSC AG

Powerfull filsharing and more

Simple tool i´m using since a long time. Stable but less inovations.

Pros

owncloud is a well known and stable tool for sharing files. But beside sharing files it´s also an calender-server a, contact-server and if needed a gallery. Owncloud offers a lot of plugins to fit a lot of needs.

Cons

Develoment slows down after the fork of nextcloud. The main focus is towards paying bussiness users.

Very strong contender among filesharing apps

Pros

It just works, you can use it for filesharing with your customers or among other co-workers and the data will be kept always in your own servers, which gives you a little bit more security feeling.

Cons

A little bit pricy. We got a similar solution for a better offer.

Jean Carlos from Ecco Outsourcing Group

Easy to use and implement

My general experience is positive, it is a great alternative to store and share files, in my personal case I use it in the company where I work to share files by departments, I manage the cloud, create and eliminate users, create groups and apply different policies.

Pros

What I liked most about the software is the ease of sharing and managing the files in the cloud, apart from the groups that can be created to share files in common.

Cons

Within the same group you can not create policies where not all of the same group can view the files, to achieve this you have to create a different group with only the people you want to share or share individually with each one.

Kevin from eCommunities

Decent but lacking

Overall, we decided to leave OwnCloud in favour of NextCloud. NC has a faster development cycle and seems to listen to the community more when it comes to what they focus their efforts on. While I'm sure OC is good for Enterprise clients, our experience was that it was ONLY for enterprise.

Pros

Overall the product is good, and a number of addons provide good expanded integration and functionality.

Cons

The development focus is generally aimed at Enterprise only, the community needs don't seem to be nearly as important and so addressing feature requests is low on the totem.

Luis Alfredo from Telecomunicaciones Movilnet

Excellent personal storage tool for documents, files or multimedia elements.

Easy to use. High availability of material for learning about the use of the platform. Easy to use. It is a very friendly tool.

Pros

I really like the ability of this platform to be able to make it keep all the things that I want and be able to share them with a link of vesialization, providing permission, blocking files, indicating the expiration date of the link etc. I find it impressive and very easy to use.

Cons

The not being able to do the implementation of the platform in a private environment since it has many limitations for that operating system. Taking into account that most people use that operating system.

Michelle from Belfay

Was not impressed

I think this is a really great concept for businesses to use for keeping their documents safe, off site, secure and easy to access

Pros

this is a great concept, but expensive to keep your documents elsewhere

Michael from DocPile.de

Not as innovative as Nxtcloud...

Well, frankly speaking I was moving to Nextcloud as soon as that fork was stable.

Pros

Relatively easy setup, easy sharing of files, many addons available to make it more efficient

Cons

Their top developer as well as others moved to the Nextcloud fork some time ago. Most of the development of Owncloud is now focussed on the paid version. Further, I used it quite often in connection with external data storage. Owncloud is was much slower in handling that then Nextcloud.

Paul from Carecode

owncloud is mismanaged nextcloud

it was decent, but nextcloud is better

Pros

It was open source, so nextcloud became possible.

Cons

It seems management had some terrible ideas which is why all the mind-share seems to be behind nextcloud these days.

Marcel from ProjektWebdesign

Same as nextcloud?

Pros

- Easy UI - structurized Admin Panel - Perfect for private users and companies with enough money

Cons

Pricing (compared with NextCloud Not same features like in nextcloud App sometimes crashes (nextcloud app too :/ )

Ahmed from ITSkIl

Good

Pros

Good service but no other service like nextcloud

Cons

Only saving data on your own cloud but no more features

Antonio Luiz from Federal Institute of Santa Catarina

Free, easy-to-deploy open-source solution - for storing documents in the cloud.

Pros

Owncloud community is very active. You can find solutions to almost every problem during deployment. The main differential is that the code is open. And the documents stored there, in fact being yours alone. It is the industry's leading free option for public and nonprofit institutions. Completely replaces a simple file server.

Cons

The software has the premise of being collaborative. However, the tool is very premature in this regard. Edits are made on the local computer by the text editor, table, or presentation that the user uses on their computer. This makes standardization difficult.

Struggle to gain acceptance

I actually do not have a choice since some office environment block external cloud storage providers and migrate away from Microsoft enterprise services to ownCloud. However, only access if I really have to since there are already so many tools that I use to perform these functions.

Pros

I was relatively easy to set up on the server and provides a basic file structure so that institutional users can share files and keep them organized. It also has a chat feature.

Cons

While it has most of the functionality that I could want in such an app. I have struggled to actually use it since I already have my other cloud storage providers. For the chat feature, I would rather reach for my phone to call, text or use the messaging function with the personal than use the company-mandated chat feature in ownCloud.