ownCloud Software Reviews

FrontRunners 2020

• icon"You can have your own OwnCloud server on-premises. SSO authentication and Custom branding make a great integration with internal tools."
  • icon"It's great to have your storage in house. The piece of mind that you know where your data is at all times is important, but also, nothing beats local for speed."
  • icon"Structurized Admin Panel. Perfect for private users and companies with enough money."
  • icon"Technical ability is mostly required to setup and your system and to update. Auto update is a pain and mostly pushes one to manual process."
  • icon"When first added, there were a few errors that I had to have my host sort, because I couldn't find any documentation on them for the OwnCloud."
  • icon"It seems management had some terrible ideas which is why all the mind-share seems to be behind nextcloud these days."

Browse all ownCloud Reviews

• Have you used ownCloud and would like to share your experience with others?

Octavi

Industry: Research

Free cloud DIY

Having the capacity to get to every one of my documents from anyplace is incredible. I have a few terabytes of documents on my server, more than I would ever store with any of the cloud suppliers out there, in any event not at a sensible cost. When it is set up and designed it is entirely strong and does the activity I require it to do.

Pros

It has phenomenal capacities which encourages me keep my work all together, with my associates, I can synchronize every one of the records on various PCs, it's super sheltered since I can encode the documents, has online music peruser, online content tool, watcher of online archives (PDF, OpenDocument), among numerous different capacities.

Cons

The confounded method to coordinate different advances like FTP. The documentation for the execution of different techniques like FTP is somewhat confounded in comparisson with different instructional exercises.

Alson

April 2022

Cheap and Good Alternative to Dropbox

We have been using ownCloud as a Dropbox alternative for my company for years now. We find that owning our own data is better than leaving it on the cloud. Our installation is not accessible without VPN.

Pros

Open-source means lots of plugins and support for the software.

Cons

Not as well contributed lately as compared to NextCloud

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

Nextcloud was a fork of ownCloud, so we decided to use the original software instead of the fork.

Reasons for switching to ownCloud

Open-source (free) and does the same things as we need from Dropbox.

Response from ownCloud

Dear Alson, Thanks a lot for your review. We are so happy to know that you find ownCloud convenient and affordable. The Enterprise version of ownCloud offers a host of extra features and support. Perhaps you would like a free trial? https://owncloud.com/get-started/ If you have any further feedback or questions, please feel free to get in touch with us at community@owncloud.com. We also welcome you to join our community.

Giovanni

Good file share and collaboration platform

installation instruction are quite good. But you need some expertise to setup several configuration like secure access. Great point. it is completely free and work really well

Pros

The main pro is that this platform is open, the cons is that you need to have good skill to deploy it and configure. Globally most of the feature work really well like the cloud storage, that has a really good access through web, client and mobile app. Nice also the feature to integrate your mail, calendar, food task manager. Integrated editor for document is quite difficult to install. Beware cause you need to have a good machine where to install, with enough resource to make the service reliable

Cons

Owncloud has become a minor stream of this project. Mostly Nextcloud is the new evolution with more update and feature.

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

Owncloud has been my first choice untill I have discovered that Nextcloud has a new branch of featured and update development

Response from ownCloud

Dear Giovanni, Thank you so much for your review! It's great to hear that you found many features of ownCloud to be useful. If you ever face any issues while using ownCloud or need assistance, you are welcome to discuss it in our forum (https://central.owncloud.org/) and submit notifications regarding bugs in GitHub. If you have any questions or further feedback, feel free to contact us at: community@owncloud.com

Tim

July 2022

As inexpensive as Cloud sync can get

Pros

Ceding control of your files to cloud service providers does not fit every situation and own cloud solves this. Especially when you then have to share the items, the custom link based of our domain was a nice feature.

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

Inexpensive and stable existence.

Reasons for switching to ownCloud

Own cloud seems to have existed longer

Response from ownCloud

Hi Tim, Thank you so much for your response. We are glad that you found ownCloud features useful. As for the technical aspect of ownCloud, it is going to get much better and easier with the launch of Infinite Scale - so stay tuned! In the meantime, you are also welcome to sign up for a free trial instance of Infinite Scale beta. Best regards, Team ownCloud

Replied August 2022

Eric

OwnCloud instead of DropBox

Besides being a "better DropBox", OwnCloud has the ability to use plugins. It has a MarketPlace where you can search for various types of plugins. Most of the plugins are free too.

Pros

OwnCloud is wonderful. It runs on your own server so the only limitations to the amount of storage space you have is the amount of disk space on your server. You can create public links with or without password protection, and you can schedule the link to automatically deactivate. You can have as many synchronized folders as you want (not just one like DropBox). You can share each of these folders with different people or groups, and you have full control over the type of access: read only, write only (drop box), or read/write. Best of all, OwnCloud is an open-source product and it's all absolutely free.

Cons

OwnCloud has an automatic update feature but I've had it fail more times than I've had it succeed. It's not all that hard to upgrade manually, but an automatic update would be much much nicer.

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

Nextcloud is a spin-off from OwnCloud. While I like the fact that Nextcloud is less commercialized than OwnCloud, it wasn't as stable as OwnCloud, at least a few years back when we were making our decision.

Reasons for switching to ownCloud

We have a LOT of disk space on our server. And hard drives, even multi-terabyte drives, are relatively cheap... much cheaper than paying for DropBox space. We also wanted to have the file-sharing site branded with our own domain name, emsquared-inc.com. Some of the files we share are sensitive in nature and we didn't want to give custody to any intermediary services.

ownCloud or Nextcloud

Pros

It's great to have your storage in house. The piece of mind that you know where your data is at all times is important, but also, nothing beats local for speed. The clients (I use Windows, Linux and Android clients) make it super easy to sync across different devices - set up once and forget about it!

Cons

I've been going back and forth between ownCloud and Nextcloud (an ownCloud fork) for a couple of years. Started out with ownCloud, switched to Nextcloud, then found out that ownCloud development had caught up and then some, and switched back. Luckily switching is easy but ideally, you want the best of both.

So Cool!

Great software and a great idea for anyone who wants their own self-hosted cloud storage. No sharing, and you keep full control over your data. What's not to love?

Pros

OwnCloud is seriously cool. I used it for a few years on my personal server, making use of that storage for my cloud hosting. It was surprisingly easy-to-install, no hiccups or weird configuration problems with my server (I had it running on BlueHost), and the user interface was straightforward and easy to use. I didn't purchase the smartphone app, although that would have been really cool to try out.

Cons

The software is available at no charge, so it's silly to complain, but I would have liked the interface to be a bit less sterile looking. I imagine the paid platform probably targets enterprises that want on-premise, self-hosted solutions and don't care about having a fun and attractive UI, and to be fair, ownClouds UI is super clean and it is appealing, but it would have been nice if it was just a little less "Microsoftey." That's a pretty minimal complaint though.

Abdelkadir

February 2022

OwnCloud honest review

We often have to send large files to our students This process has always been difficult, and we've tried a variety of approaches throughout the years. None has proven as user-friendly and dependable as ownCloud. It has made my life much easier.

Pros

I believe that ownCloud is one of the greatest products for securely sharing files,  the software is accessible from all major platforms. It's simple to set up and easy to access and find my stored materials.

Cons

- Time-consuming to set up - Low storage capacity - Performance issues and bugs

Response from ownCloud

Dear Abdelkadir B., Thank you very much for your review! With regards to the setting up of ownCloud and your experience of it being time-consuming, this is something we are continuously improving. You mention some bugs and issues: our product is open source and we therefore rely on getting feedback from the community: we highly appreciate it when users report any bugs to us via GitHub! Feel free to visit our community section on our website for information on how you can contribute feedback or reach out to us directly. Best Regards, Katrin Giza Community Manager, E-Mail: community@ownCloud.com

Replied March 2022

Free midsize solution for filestorage

for a free solution it is one of the best choices in the opensource world.

Pros

It is your own server so it is the best to secure by your own way. Cook it as you prefer.

Cons

The Admin Panel lacks lots to enterprise features. The base idea of sharing files is not intuitive. It tooks a bit to get used of its limit.

Albert

Industry: Railroad Manufacture

November 2022

Review by Albert_OwnCloud

Since I am using the OwnCloud software, it is easier for me to share documents and files with external assessors, partners, or clients; this means that the time efficiency now is higher than using document interchange by e-mail or similar.

Pros

The software is very user-friendly, it allows you to work with third-party people outside your company while you keep the control over your documentation.

Cons

It is needed a network connection to operate with all the OwnCloud features.

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

It is more user-friendly and easy to implement.

Roberto

Great platform with a divided community

The software is great. It does its job and it does it perfect.

Pros

It's great to have autonomy on your cloud. You can get file storage that adapts to your very own infrastructure, plus it has a lot of plugins to interact with your data.

Cons

At some point the community divided and the product was forked, which left the people that uses it with two choices.

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

It runs on my own infrastructure.

Reasons for switching to ownCloud

I switched to another product. (Nextcloud). I didn't know which version of the software would get more track from the community and I had to bet on the other. My preference was due my perception of where the community would go, which is important in a community driven software.

John Paolo

Best alternative for Dropbox

We're very satisfied with OwnCloud considering the price we pay for it. We're not considering to move out of it in the next coming years.

Pros

We've switched from DropBox due to one feature it miss which is on-prem support. We use OwnCloud in an on-premise deployment method and now we're more comfortable that our files are more secured unlike before. Also OwnCloud supports server-side encryption as well

Cons

It doesn't have any support for file locking. Lack of ability to detect duplicate changes on the same file by 2 different users.

Cost

Arnaud

Industry: Oil & Energy

Secured sharing platform

Multi-language is supported on the web interface but is not available on the desktop client as far as I know.

Pros

Synchronization of local documents with the online web platform is automatic, very efficient and fast. You can manage rights on your shared folders. You can be notified by mail when someone change a file on a shared folder. You can send a download link to an external user with a validity limit. OwnCloud is a WebDAV server, so files can be opened thru a web url in Microsoft products and other tools. You can have your own OwnCloud server on-premises. SSO authentication and Custom branding make a great integration with internal tools.

Cons

The solution is not optimized for very big files.

April 2022

Plattformübergreifende Benutzung

Möglichkeit des einfachen Dateiuploads durch Mandanten

Pros

Sehr gute Dateifreigabe an Externe User. Top Kalenderfunktion.

Cons

Zu bearbeitende Dokumente müssen immer downgeloadet werden, wenn man an einem Gerät arbeitet ohne Clientsoftware.

Integration in bestehende Systeme und Preisgestaltung

Response from ownCloud

Hello! Thanks a lot for your review. We are so happy to know that you find our ownCloud features convenient to use. With the integration for Office 365 Desktop, you can open a file from the ownCloud Web interface directly in Office 365 securely without downloading. Read more about it here: https://owncloud.com/owncloud-and-microsoft/ If you have any further feedback or questions, please feel free to get in touch with us at community@owncloud.com. We also welcome you to join our community.

Easy file sharing

We frequently have to share very large files (zip files, videos, etc.) with our clients for their approvals. This process was always complicated and we employed a number of solutions over the years. None has been as easy to use and as reliable as ownCloud. It has literally made my life easier. I am able to organize files into folders with separate passwords and urls allowing me to share only what is needed to specific people. I know that my clients will be able to access and download what they need, when they need it. That gives me great piece of mind.

Pros

This software makes it very easy and RELIABLE to share files with our clients and others. It offers a very easy to use interface and has NEVER failed to upload or download. Prior to getting this tool, we struggled with method for sharing (especially large) files with our clients. Once our IT dept got a hold of ownCloud and customized it for our use, my life got measurably easier.

Cons

The only issue I have ever had with it is when I was surprised by a site expiring. Now, I know it was my fault to set a date and then forget it...but it would be nice to receive a notice when an expiration date is nearing. I have learned how to manage that better, but would still appreciate a notification.

moncef

Industry: Photography

OwnCloud is the best palce to save your data ?

I will not need the flash USB and the hard disk from now and that make me save more money and more safety.

Pros

At the website OwnCloud you can customize your all data and save them in diferent files, this make the access more quickly and easy at any time you want, ther is no losted data at all when you trasfer your files and uploaded them to OweCloud, you put them in the right place. i consider this website my degital USB especially when i upload my photogtraphy data like backgraounds, effects and frames.

Cons

Actually i don't like the theme of the dashboard it would be more colorful.

Response from ownCloud

Dear Moncef, Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so proud to be your digital USB in your photography work. If you haven't already, do check out our brand new Web UI. We invested a lot of time and effort in making it more user-friendly and visually appealing. If you have any questions or further feedback, feel free to contact us at: community@owncloud.com

andrew

ownCloud lets you own your cloud.

Experience is overall positive as the benefits typically outweigh any difficulties. Data sovereignty and geo-fencing regulations are some of the main reasons I consider using ownCloud.

Pros

Controlling your own data, while enjoying much of the benefits of the likes of dropbox or onedrive. Ability to link mobile phones and sync contacts and calendars. File/folder sync between devices.

Cons

Update process between versions can be cumbersome depending on your installation and set up method.

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

Being able to be in total control of what is hosting your companies data is very nice, especially in today's age. Couple that with a touch of open source and an enterprise company that stands behind it for support and you got a clear winner.

Javier Victor Marian

Pioneer on open source cloud storage.

I love owncloud, i been there almost since it born, and I'm using it now, actively participating in the community.

Pros

I been using owncloud for at least 10 years. I'm part of the translation to spanish too. I got mad at bugs, problems, etc, but this growed quick and bugs were repaired. Now, is the solution that I use internal in the institution (government) and for my personal customers, for backup. The big pro is that the space its what you can afford in hard drives. Easy to maintain. Secure. With a lot of addons for productivity and integration. Clients for every single OS that exist.

Cons

As same as dropbox and other products, the big con that I found is that every time that the client starts needs to scan all folders. In big folders with a lot of files, this take a while and it use a lot of hard drive. So when your OS starts client will kill the HD until finishing the indexing of files.

Michelle

Great software

My experience has been positive, I will continue to use and tell others about it

Pros

We have had ZERO issues with this software, works great and is also a perfect alternative to store documents that others need to access

Cons

I do not have anything to say about this software that would be a con

Reasons for choosing ownCloud

This was the best option for us and was very affordable

Response from ownCloud

Thank you very much for this review. Great to hear that you have had zero issues and that ownCloud is helpful for your work. Just in case any questions or issues should arise, we are always happy to help. So don't hesitate to contact us, for details see: https://owncloud.org/help/

Replied July 2019