• icon"Easy to use and to set up. Does exactly what we needed without the pains of an FTP site."
  • icon"I only used this program for its free trial, but I liked how the interface was built and the fact that you can have permissions and thus, can avoid having leaking information issues."
  • icon"This is a great out of the box solution. It was fairly easy to set up."
  • icon"We have had several occasions where the site was unavailable due to technical difficulties."
  • icon"Uploading files via FTP or larger than 500MB takes days to weeks to upload due to constant server errors and disconnects."

Browse all SmartFile Reviews

• Have you used SmartFile and would like to share your experience with others?

Jesse Paul

Quality FTP for your Business

Pros

I really enjoyed almost every feature provided by SmartFile, including the easy to use interface that can be customized to emulate brand look and feel and the ability to create a hub for my clients to use.

Cons

The only piece that I didn't appreciate was the price. My business is fairly small so the costs can quickly add up but I know SmartFile is the best solution for my business and clients and that is whay matters most.

Willo Review

Pros

Cost efficient, easy to deploy and use with our customers, fast

Cons

Mostly a few UI/UX implementations regarding managing users, groups, shares. Some small attention on this front could yield goodness.

Reasons for switching to SmartFile

Cost, manageability by non-technical team members, ease of managing access with our customers, operational scalability.

Justin

Has potential but need some flushing out of features

We eventually ended up abandoning the product due to other options in the file sharing space providing the needed features and storage requirements. At the time we stopped using the product many of the features were advertised but "coming soon" I do not know if this was the case but the cost of the solution overall with the limited capabilities was an issue that required us to look into other companies for our needs.

Pros

The interface for user management was easy to use and adding external clients was very simple.

Cons

There is a lack of features for the on-premise version. Some of the features that were advertised and sold to us as being available were not on the on-premise version and at the time of our use of this product there was no ETA in bringing those integrations in.

Scott

Does what it says it does

Pros

I like that it allows the use of filezilla

Cons

Seems to hang up if your upstream is not very good

Reasons for choosing SmartFile

Contacted by those customer support and they gave me a coupon

Zach

Industry: Publishing

Overall really good but room for improvement

Pros

This is a great out of the box solution. It was fairly easy to set up. Nothing difficult to administer. Overall, this is exactly what we needed and I'm very glad we use SmartFile.

Cons

There are so many little things that are easy fixes that would make the experience much more pleasant. I don't have a problem uploading files (i use it nearly every day) but a lot of the people on our team that use SmartFile struggle with certain things. Little things like having to click upload and then dragging and dropping in the the drop zone (that doesn't highlight when you drag a file over it) and then submit. People understand a file system. I would suggest imitating more of the features of a file system, at least for drag and drop. Sorting files takes several steps. It would be nice it this was faster. Uploading and downloading can be painfully slow at times. And no, its not our internet. Its you. We have a dedicated 1Gb download and upload line. Uploading and downloading from other servers are consistently faster. We upload to S3 every day and its always ten times faster. When we are transferring small files this isn't an issue. When we transfer a huge files. It becomes an issue. I really like the activities feed. Its very helpful for reviewing activity on our account. The activity feed works great some times but fails to load at other time or is incredibly slow. Make this just work. Along the same lines, the notifications are extremely helpful but delayed too long. I have a lot of team members who ask me to switch to dropbox. They have various reasons, not all legitimate, but some are. Look at their UI. Look at what they are doing. Its really easy to use.

TBD

TBD, building a business process and the single coupling to Okta has made us rethink our approach but in a way it’s a good thing because we’ve decoupled storage from user context.

Pros

The offering provides a very polished interface and the ability to set your own branding are very well implemented in SmartFile.

Cons

SSO provider support is limited solely to Okta which, while one of the larger providers in the space this sole point of support suggests that support and integration are generally intended to focus support, integration, and their business offering to Fortune 500 organizations.

Response from SmartFile

Mark - Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, and I agree that our SSO options are limited. This limitation is due to SmartFile having one of the largest FTP user bases in the world. Over 75% of our user activities are FTP, and our user permissions are built to support this. Most SSO providers (ie. Google, Facebook, LinkedIn) only support an email as a username and therefore does not permit a non-email login. In order to offer more SSO providers, we would have to require users to use a SSO login for the web interface and a separate login for FTP. We felt having multiple login methods would cause a high rate of confusion to our user base and chose not to move forward with additional SSO providers. Also, you're correct in your assumption regarding enterprises. To meet our enterprise customers security requirements we did integrate with Okta and we just rolled SSO using Azure. Thanks again for your feedback and comments.

Replied January 2019

Max

8 years of use

Almost flawless

Pros

- Wide variety of services and functions - Wide variety of connexion type - Almost no downtime - Automations - Good support

Cons

- Price can be lower (depend on the services you really need) - Access to Custom Branding only for higher price plan

Peter

Industry: Airlines/Aviation

SmartFile Review

I am required to keep BU off site

Pros

Lots of options to tailor cost to need Just keeps working

Cons

Options don't well match my needs I would like an option for old versions to be deleted so usage does not continuously grow.

Dan

Simple option for hosted FTP, FTPS, SFTP

Pros

Reasonably priced, easy to use and supports multiple protocols -thus giving us very good ROI by not having to support multiple FTP infrastructures.

Cons

Nothing really. So far it has worked great for us.

Jon

SmartFile - Good Value

Overall the service works good, Support is good.

Pros

Unlimited storage / Unlimited users for the one price

Cons

System is slow. Updates sometimes break features and have to wait until next update to get fixed.

Evan

Great unlimited sharing platform. FTP and webdav support are a huge plus!

Pros

Ease of use and setup of shares and links. accessibility for users.

Cons

When issues do arise, we have had lackluster support in some cases. we have had this product for over 5 years.

Files.com, ExaVault Cloud FTP and Citrix ShareFile

Reasons for choosing SmartFile

Cost and features.

Review of SmartFile

The business problem that SmartFile solves is allowing lots of file storage which I use for daily backups of mission critical files.

Pros

First and foremost, I like the fact that this service exists. I needed a place to backup files via ftp, and there are few places that allow for using ftp and allow this much file storage. There are a lot of features offered that I was not looking for, but they sure do come in handy. It is nice to have a web based interface and to be able to quickly generate and share a link with an expiration date.

Cons

We have had some issues with a false message saying we reached our limit. I have been working with tech support, and they are assisting with the issue. Tech support responds quickly, and I really do appreciate that.

Response from SmartFile

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Our engineers were made aware of this issue and are currently working on a patch to resolve the problem. We do apologize for the inconvenience and will continue to update all customers experiencing this issue with our progress.

Replied January 2019

Arturo

Industry: Animation

Perfect if you are not setting up your own FTP Server

Our experience with SmartFile has been a positive one. We use it to transport files to and from our sister studios in China and we find that this is one of the only FTP servers that makes it to China.

Pros

My colleges and I love that we can access our files via the web anytime.

Cons

The web portal times out on long downloads and we do get partial downloads that way, smaller files are fine to be accessed that way but when moving project files over 11gigs, we have to use FileZilla or any other FTP clients since those can be set up to continue an upload/download without having to start all over again.

An easy to use FTP file management with powerful features

Pros

What I like about SmartFile is that is easy to use and provides powerful features for companies that rely on FTP as part of their business. I like how we can organize everything and specially how we can give access to clients to upload the files needed to work on their projects. The main reason we had chosen SmartFile is that we do business in China and the US and file transferring is a problem due to China's security wall. SmartFile manages this very well and it was the best service we tried uploading files from the US to download them in China. More than 5 services tried, some of them more expensive, and SmartFile was the fastest.

Cons

The software provides us with what we need. If could improve something, it would be the interface. It's easy to navigate but needs a revamp to make it look more up to date.

Donald

SmartFile Review

My overall experience has been positive. Our customers and prospect appreciate the secure FTP capability. We have found the system very easy to administer, and the tech support has been very responsive.

Pros

The thing I like most about SmartFile is that it provided me a quick way to get out of my on-prem FTP server and easily provide secure inbound and outbound FTP to my customers.

Cons

If I could change anything about SmartFile it would be two things. I would like more control over the configuration of the system generated emails. I would like to customize them more. The other thing would be a more straightforward way of creating common folders that all of our administrators could share.

Eric

Industry: Computer Networking

Great platform

Pros

Easy to use and to set up. Does exactly what we needed without the pains of an FTP site. Great web interface.

Cons

There could be better communication on new features.

Smartfile - A Real Solution for File Sharing

Overall, Smartfile has been an absolute gem for me and my colleagues. Uploading and downloading for both employees and client is very easy and intuitive.

Pros

Smartfile does exactly what I need it to do. The ability to send and receive large files in addition to sharing them in vast levels of secure measures.

Cons

My only gripes right now is that you cannot share files and get feedback on the files themselves. For example, if I send a video I am working on with a client, I cannot create a centralized "hub" for feedback like some competitors do. The only other capability that I wish it would have would be having desktop capabilities to upload/manage content.