All Affinity Designer Reviews

Rogelio

Media Production, 1 employee

Reviewed March 2022

How not love it?

I have the whole suite working together: Designer, Photo, Publisher and it helps me stay on a competitive level against other businesses offering the same services.

PROS

Affinity Designer is the best Adobe Illustrator alternative that will let you edit SVG, AI, EPS, PDF files with ease. The controls are very intuitive and easy to use, the results are way too good and so far, after all these years there's nothing I regret from using Affinity Designer If you buy a set of tools on the Serif store, you do not have to download them and install them on a certain folder, you just go into the panel, click, that's it. You have it ready to use and installed properly.

CONS

The only thing I cannot do in Affinity Designer so far is to get a PNG and trace it into a vector. For that, I have to use Inkspace but everything else: Affnity Designer. Another thing that you may feel limited is that you see templates for Illustrator everywhere but not for Designer. You can still open them but all the layers groups will be merged into a single giant group making you spend some time rearranging things.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

Adobe is way too expensive for small businesses like mine

Alan Gerardo

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2022

A great vector creation tool for iPad users

It’s been great overall. One purchase and you jump right in without worrying about renewing payment plans. At first it was a bit of a shock having such a high quality app for a table because it does things that you might not expect it to to do while at the same time not behaving exactly how you would expect. However it’s more because it must compromise in some aspects due to the fact that it MUST take into account both touch only controls as well as mouse and keyboad.

PROS

-Purchase once and use forever. You don’t need a monthly subscription fee to access every feature -Accesible price, you don’t need to break the bank to purchase this app -Rich interface and tools

CONS

-Interface and interactions may be hit or miss since it’s software built for tablets and may not always play nice when using mouse and keyboard - Slight learning curve when coming from other options

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

I switched my main work station from an older macbook pro the a new 12.9” iPad pro and Adobe’s options are not very well optimized plus have sometime outrageously high prices for the quality they offer.

Cindy

Computer Software, 51-200 employees

Reviewed September 2023

A really great alternative

PROS

I really like the fact that Affinity is a one-time payment software. Unlike Adobe, it doesn't come with an annual subscription, and this factor plays a decisive role in my choice of software. Another of Affinity's strengths is their proximity to users. They attach a great deal of importance to user feedback.And of course, the software's functions are really intuitive and efficient.

CONS

On the other hand, what I don't like is the performance, which is really low on Windows, even with a good configuration. The software is not optimised for Windows and you can feel it. That's one of the software's only faults for me, the performance. Version 2 of Affinity has added a huge number of new features. I hope that this point will be improved in the future.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

The lifetime licence of Affinity and these features.

Ronald

Entertainment, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2021

A game changer

I used to have a very specific workflow that involved the 2 most common image software on the market. These are expensive for the kind of tasks we were doing and a recurrent payment. Affinity Designer (and it's brother, Affinity Photo) replaced these with a one-time payment so we were able to get exactly the same results, same quality and same effiency.

PROS

It allows you to do all the advanced stuff you need to do. Of course, there are some industry-standards out there this software will be compared to. Affinity Designer will for sure save you money after you spend some time in the initial adaptation translating all your knowledge from other tools to it. It sounds scary but it isn't. Things are just called differently and some others just have a different shortcut, but all what you know should still apply. A very cool thing I saw is that the developers are always interacting with users and they do listen to the requests! It's very, very lightweight (v. 1.8.5 is less than 500mb). Updates happen frequently but it's up to you to install them. Also it's equally lightweight in terms of resources used when running. The industry standards require everytime more and more ram and cpu while Affinity Designer runs very smoothly on all low-mid range pcs.

CONS

The documentation isn't always super super clear. As it's an evolving sofware and features are being added or changed, this is really important. A couple of times i had to rely on youtubers to find how to do certain things.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

Illustrator was too expensive for us and too heavy to run. We also had to run Photoshop at the same time which was a problem in terms of resources since we're now working from home so not everybody has specialized hardware at home to run these.

Barbara

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Absolutely Outstanding!

It been beyond outstanding for us. Super satisfied and I can’t recommend it enough. It was super easy to migrate completely from the Adobe Suite. No hiccups at all.

PROS

It is lightning fast! And not to mention super affordable. Here is a piece of software with great customer support and an amazing community behind it. It is very intuitive and the learning curve is not steep at all. In fact, far more intuitive than Adobe Suite.

CONS

So far, all good! Maybe how it opens files from the Adobe Suite could improve but it has nothing to do with Affinity as much as how Adobe packages their files.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

Price mostly but also bad customer support and bloatware.

Kade

Computer Games, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2022

Affinity Designer is an Excellent Must-Have Design Toolkit for any Designer/Artist/Developer

So far I really love it, very easy to use and very fun to play with despite the confusion of trying to understand and learn this new design software which I feel is worth its value.

PROS

I really love how easy it is to just jump right in and start using it with a lot of useful creation tools, profiles, and more. There is a lot of useful functions, brushes, text, designs, shapes and such crammed into it.

CONS

Not very friendly to 3d Artists and Game Developers in my opinion. The software is somewhat confusing compared to others so I am stuck having to learn something new since it doesn't follow traditional methods which might not be such a bad thing aside from the confusion of trying to use it more due to the different toolset profiles. It also appears to lack filters and affects so that means I would have to use, create, or go get another software to use alongside it and I was really hoping to have an all-in-one tool. This has left me with a design of getting Affinity Photo or going back to Krita.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

Krita is good but I kept running into random crashing/lagging issues which left me with no choice but to use other software at times and I found it to be rather annoying for that reason after dealing with it constantly.

Melissa

Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed October 2022

Great Illustrator Alternative

When Adobe switched to subscription service I was very frustrated as I don't use Illustrator often enough to make it worth the cost...but I do occasionally need a full featured design program. I searched through many options, but finally settled on Affinity. It has been a great replacement and the one time purchase is a perfect solution for our company. If they had a replacement for Lightroom, I would be able to leave Adobe behind completely!

PROS

Affinity designer has all the priority features I look for in a design program. I hate switching to new software, but I found Affinity to be a fairly easy transition from Illustrator. Occasionally I can't find a tool I wanted in the spot I assumed it should be, but a quick search solves that problem. I love the way the tool bar is laid out and found all the main tools I wanted were easy to access. This is now my go to design program and I love that it is not a subscription based software.

CONS

While some designers fault Affinity for not having certain features I found that all of the vital features I needed are included.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

We primarily switched because of the subscription pricing at Adobe. Illustrator is a great software, but as we don't use it on a daily basis we couldn't afford the service and started looking for an alternative. Honestly I wouldn't go back even if we could afford it. Affinity works great and does everything we need.

C.J.

Financial Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2021

You pay for what you get

It is good for what it is, but I felt as paid software they could have had more functionally

PROS

Well cost was a factor, ease of use, simple UI

CONS

Lack of needed features. The layers functionality was confusing No auto trace which was the huge disappointment for us

Reason for choosing Affinity Designer

AD was the middle of the road. Inkskape was free but a hassle and adobe cost much more

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

Need more from the software

Trevor

Internet, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2021

Better than the big name alternatives

I was able to replace the annual subscription for Adobe products with Affinity Designer (as well as Affinity Photo). As such, I got a much better value since I didn't need to use my Adobe products very often. Also I was easily able learn how to use Designer because of the learning resources they have and the community / forums are large so most questions are already out there and answered.

PROS

Affiniity Designer easily and immediately replaced my existing vector graphics program I was using before it (Illustrator). As such there was no major learning curve or wasted time switching over. Further, even though there is no subscription required, the software only continues to improve!

CONS

Even though it's not a major change from Illustrator, you do have to get used to a few things that are different. Not a big deal.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

I didn't want to pay the annual subscription anymore for a product I only used once every so often.

Souleymane

Mining & Metals, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed August 2023

The graphic design software for professionals.

Affinity Design is a powerful and comprehensive graphic design software that offers multiple advanced features for professional designers.

PROS

What I really like about Affinity Design is that it offers advanced vector drawing tools such as geometric shapes and Bézier curves. It also supports layer styles.

CONS

What I may like the least is the photo editing tool for correcting imperfections, as it can sometimes hinder the editing process of photos.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

I switched to Canva and Gravit Design Pro for more functionality and flexibility in photo editing work.

Joshua

Arts and Crafts, 1 employee

Reviewed November 2019

Brilliant Application - Incredible Brand!

My overall experience with the whole Affinity brand is supremely positive. Every aspect of their service: from the products they provide to the support, tutorials and workbooks they offer is of a supremely high standard. I'm incredibly excited to see how this brand evolves and will definitely be purchasing any product they add to their catalogue in the future.

PROS

Designer is an incredibly deep application that can satisfy just about everyone's demands for digital illustration. It has a phenomenal feature set and works on multiple devices, thus enabling the user to maximize their output and enhance their workflow. The accompanying Workbook is a brilliant way to familiarize the user to the capabilities of the software, and as the only viable alternative to Adobe Illustrator, anyone making the transition will feel right at home - you can even open up your Illustrator projects in Designer! Another great function is the seamless integration with Affinity's other applications - Publisher and Photo. I have only scratched the surface of this application but am astonished at what can be achieved. I can't recommend it highly enough and think that there is nothing on the market than can compete at this price range. Five stars!

CONS

Since making the transition from Illustrator, I've honestly not looked back once. There is nothing in my workflow that Designer isn't capable of performing. As such, I have no cons and can't think of any reason not explore Designer and its capabilities.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

I couldn't justify the exorbitant fees that Adobe charge and was desperate to find a feature-packed and affordable solution.

Reviewed April 2020

Better than I expected

I saw ads for the Affinity suite in the past, but always dismissed them as one of those half-baked knock-offs of photoshop that like to rope you in with "free"trials that don't let you save your files or something. Turns out I was very wrong! Affinity Designer and Publisher are both legitimate and very good pieces of software. They are feature rich, have some innovative features that aren't seen in other software and have ongoing development with regular updates. Affinity Designer is quite intuitive, can do most things Illustrator can, can open and edit Illustrator files, so the transition was very smooth, with hardly any learning curve. Still had to google some to to figure out how certain operations were done in Designer that were different to Illustrator, and grapple with a few odd choices the devs made, over all I've been pretty pleased with Designer. Decided to transition from Illustrator because it didn't make sense for us to pay for the subscription model because we only need to use it several times a year for creating product labels, and starting and cancelling subscriptions constantly is just cumbersome. Plus we already have a Photoshop and Lightroom subscription. I tried to move from Illustrator to Inkscape in the past, but that was just impossible, Inkscape can't open Illustrator files properly (even PDFs) and lacks so many features that it wasn't possible to use for what I needed it.

PROS

Coming from Illustrator, it's very easy to adapt to, just minor differences in some workflows, but mostly it's intuitive. It can open and edit Illustrator files if they are pdf compatible, even deal with complex things like knockout groups correctly. It's also has some great ideas that I was pleasantly surprised by that made the workflow better and faster. Affinity devs listen to user feedback and regularly update their apps, so any features that it lacks it will probably get soon.

CONS

Lack of a good font manager, it just takes the fonts you have installed in your OS. No Google fonts integration or anything like Adobe Fonts, so if you're missing fonts you have to manually find them online and (buy or) download them the old-fashioned way. Some odd workflow choices, minor things that can slow you down. Like no native way to permanently reset the bounding box of an object after it has been rotated, they have a toggle that works for 1 operation and switches back to the (skewed or rotated) original. The align UI and the order of actions to chose what to align to what is strange and can waste time. Other minor things like that that I ran into, but all in all it works well and gets the job done.

Reason for choosing Affinity Designer

An affordable one-time fee for a product that's just as good as illustrator. Works properly, has all the necessary features and is compatible with other software unlike Inkscape.

Emily

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2021

Absolutely Incredible

Affinity has hit every expectation and then some. Absolutely a dream come true and a great program. I love working with their design programs. I used their competitors programs but made the switch as soon as I saw how amazing it is.

PROS

Real-time changes during designing and editing. Ability to work in vector or raster in the same application. NO SUBSCRIPTIONS Convert files into anything you need even for other design programs of other brands. Quick exporting with a preview and many options. Works amazingly on tablets and desktops. Easy to download more brushes, typefaces, and anything else you need. Now integrated with copyright-free photo services like pixabay, pexles, and unsplash. Everything is fantastic and I cannot recommend this enough.

CONS

Doesn't like the corner tool at times. Wish Affinity had a cloud-like service that could download and keep files you're working on available when you switch devices.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

Affinity does not have a subscription fee. Affinity Designer has all of the tools Illustrator has but they are fresh and better. Affinity Designer has more options and is easier to use as well. Adobe is going downhill while their prices go up.

Asfak

Design, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2021

Best Vector Design software in a Cheaper price

Overall, I am happy with this product. It comes with a perceptual purchase plan. I can do my 80% of design in affinity designer. I wish they add features like shape builder tool, Image tracer soon. Then, It will be the best Adobe Illustrator Competitor.

PROS

The interface is less complicated. Layer management is awesome. It supports non-destructive editing for both vector & pixel editing. It supports live preview while changing any properties like colour, font & effects of the design.

CONS

There is no image tracing option. Lacking of Shape builder tool, pattern tool, real vector brush tool made this software hard to recommend to others.

Reason for choosing Affinity Designer

These alternatives were nearly prefect for me. But they weren't a prefect fit for my purpose. Although, affinity designer is not fully feature packed but is ticks all the boxes I want.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

The affordability was the main reason to switch. Moreover, I never need the extra options provided by Adobe Illustrator. Inkscape was not capable of CMYK colour print. On the other hand, Affinity was the prefect match for me considering these issues.

Richard

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2022

A powerful tool for all levels...

It's been stress-free. If ever I get stuck trying to do something I just search for video tutorials and there's always something to help you on your way. I've never had to contact support and to be honest, I don't even think I've had to upgrade more than once, and If I have it was a free upgrade. Affinity is really a great provider and suite of tools. Like I said I used to be all Adobe, but now I haven't looked back. Best workflow decision I've ever made.

PROS

An easy-to-use layout design tool that is capable of absolutely everything I need to do. I've been in the creative industry for over 30 years and Affinity Designer can handle everything I'm throwing at it from logo design and layout to full-blown artwork, and art collections I'm developing. It integrates well with the Affinity family of products (obviously). Essentially it's easy, fast, full-featured, and straightforward to get started. I used to use Illustrator (a little) but now I use Affinity and have never looked back. The transition took me minutes rather than hours. It's very intuitive.

CONS

I haven't hit any limitations with the software yet. I always generally feel the things we don't like about the software is that we've mainly not learned how to use particular features or combinations yet, so really it's on us to work it out and innovate. Sure in any software there can be occasional bugs. But I haven't come across any yet, or anything particularly frustrating about the workflow, tool, or system as a whole.

Reason for choosing Affinity Designer

Affinity Designer offered the same (as far as I could tell) tools and features as Illustrator at the same price for a lifetime as a couple of months as the cost of the Adobe solution. I did wonder for a while, given the nature of my work at the time was becoming less 'accurate' and 'precise' whether I could get a long using Keynote as a hack. But no I decided to invest with Affinity and make the change. It was easy, efficient, and the right decision.

Srdan

Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

My essential UX, Vector Creating tool

I am very satisfied with the performance the look, style and usability of Affinity Designer I am also using the Affinity Photo and Publisher.

PROS

It's built for Mac OS, an it works flawlessly with my M1 MacBook and my Dell 27" external screen. It has all the features and tools as Adobe Illustrator and then some more. I absolutely love it!

CONS

Nothing that I can think of at the moment, all is rainbows and smiles after few years of using it.

Reason for choosing Affinity Designer

Pricing and plus I know the product for several years.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

Seamless and without any regrets, wouldn't go back to Adobe in a million years.

Connor

E-Learning, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2019

It's not Illustrator, but it'll do

It gets the job done. That's probably the best thing I can say about it. It gets the job done, but I trudge through every moment of the job.

PROS

It's surprisingly fully-featured for the price. Once you know what you're doing, it can accomplish just about any task you'd use Illustrator (the industry standard) for.

CONS

The workflows are just ... Annoying. Maybe it's because I'm coming from Illustrator, where everything feels effortless, but it feels like every aspect of Affinity Designer was made unnecessarily complicated. Using the program makes me want to pull my hair out, because I know how much quicker and easier and just ... More "common sense" the process would be in Illustrator. Also, and this is a big one: Most stock vector files are completely useless in Affinity Designer. If there's any degree of complexity (meaning more than one shape), it's going to be an absolute disaster to work with in Designer.

Reason for choosing Affinity Designer

It was the cheapest alternative that seemed like it would get the job done ... And I still stand by that. You get a lot of functionality for the price. As a result, it makes a strong first-impression. But after you get beyond the free trial, and start diving deeper into projects (or trying to work with stock resources), it just becomes such a pain.

Reasons for switching to Affinity Designer

The company I was working for at the time wanted a cheaper alternative.

Telecommunications, 1 employee