All Inkscape Reviews

Nicole

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2 - 10 employees

Used less than 6 months

Reviewed July 2022

Best free tool similar to Illustrator

Gustavo

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2022

Outstanding

I really like Inkscape, and for everyone looking for a vector design software I will advise this hands down.

PROS

This is by far one of the best designing tools in the market, and even better this happens to be open source. Inkscape offers a set of tools meant to design freely, effortlessly and with a lower learning curve than other alternatives. Drawing or even editing vectors is very nice, and everything works smooth without overcharging any computer resource.

CONS

I wish it has native Ilustrator files support, but there is not. Anyway, you can solve very easy this by changing the Ilustrator files to PDF. Then there is not a big deal about this.

Reason for choosing Inkscape

As said previously, Inkscape is easier to use, does consume less resources from the computer to work properly, and does have a more intuitive user interface. Additionally, it is free.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

First place, the Adobe License... Inkscape is completely free to use. And further than the mere price, I find Inkscape to be a lot easier to use. Additionally, Illustrator does require too many resources from the computer to work properly.

Evelyn

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2022

My Vector Design System

For me, this is an extraordinary design software, super intuitive to use, handy since it possesses a portable version, and the vector image format is great for building icons compatible with almost any website out there.

PROS

It is Completely free. The user-interface works phenomenal. Designing is super straightforward.

CONS

The layers management and some other fancy features from paid alternatives are missing.

Reason for choosing Inkscape

It is a free software with super intuitive features, lightweight and fast.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

In the first place I wanted a free software, but, after using Inkscape for a while, I found myself more productive designing in this software than using any other with more complexes user-interfaces and tools managements.

Reviewed August 2021

The cost of free

I like it because it was free and we were a startup so overhead matters. At some point we outgrew our need and the free was no longer enough. Some of the more needed tasks too twice as long to dial in as again the paid alternatives

PROS

Best feature is the price it is free and yes it is a vector software. It does the basics of vectoring and design creation

CONS

Not intuitive It take many mores steps to complete functions compared to paid alternatives

Reason for choosing Inkscape

Main reason was it was free

Luca

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2024

I've been using it for years

I'm sticking to it after years nevertheless its weaknesses.

PROS

Once you get used to it you can do basically everything illustrator does.

CONS

There are some bugs that have been around for ages. You need to reboot it every time for it to load new fonts. Some operations take a lot of time. Sometimes it is slow and a bit messy. Some features, like gradient management, are confusing.

Julian

Design, 11-50 employees

Reviewed December 2023

Fantastic, free vector tool

Great vector tool, especially in combination with other tools.

PROS

Completely free and open-source - this is the main advantage. It's a decent tool for putting together vector graphics, quick 1-pager designs, and has some great addons and tools like bitmap tracing.

CONS

Once files get very large, it can be problematic scrolling around and Inkscape can begin to lag / slow down.

Lisandro

E-Learning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2019

Without Inkscape I would have fail as a designer

Right now, Inkscape is indispensable for me and my design career. Even though Inkscape is an open-source and free application, that doesn't mean it's inferior to paid alternatives in any way. Sure, Illustrator has its great set of features, but Inkscape is nowhere lesser. I have not needed to switch to any other alternative. It gets the job done really well! Love it!

PROS

It is very easy to use. It has a very friendly interface. It's really feature-packed. It has some out-of-the-box features equivalent to those in Adobe Illustrator but for free! It's open-source and get updated regularly. I love you can even work with PDF files natively. Also, I rely on the "trace bitmap" feature a lot: it's great to reuse royalty-free bitmaps on a quick design or just for inspiration. Inkscape is amazing and free!

CONS

I WISH it supported the Adobe Illustrator format (ai) but it's too much to ask as that is a proprietary file format. Also, some fundamental actions are complicated to implement: for example, setting default document properties shouldn't require to save a file in a specific folder or exporting your artwork as a .jpeg file shouldn't require an extension; those actions should be more straight forward.

Reason for choosing Inkscape

Adobe Illustrator is really expensive. I was just starting as a designer, so I had no money. Inkscape is free and doesn't lack too many features when compared. So it was the way to go.

Edwin

Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

Reviewed September 2021

Best software for logo editing and creation.

This indeed is the best software if you want to start create and editing vector images.

PROS

It is a free open source software thus anyone can download and use it. Using this software is really easy even for starters since it does not have complicated components that one can't understand easily. Unlike other alternative software's, this software can run on different platforms that is Windows, MAC OS and Linux Operating systems. Lastly this software is flexible and versatile that is it can be changed or modified without changing anything.

CONS

Sometimes its processing functionality can be a little slow. Exporting an image does not support various formatting types. Even if it has more paid features on other alternative software's, this software's interface is not user friendly, it needs one learn fully in order to come up with a complete and good vector image of logo. I don't have much negative about this software only my main focus is on speed, starting even this software takes a lot of time.

Reason for choosing Inkscape

Even though does the same work as Inkscape was good for me it has more free features compared to illustrator.

Lalao

Internet, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2022

A powerful vector drawing software for your creations!

Inkscape is a wonderful free vector tool. It is perfect for graphic design and can be used without difficulty if you take the time to learn how to use it. I recommend it!

PROS

Besides being free and open source, Inkscape has some interesting features. For example, I like the fact that it allows you to create images in SVG (vector) format, which has many advantages over traditional raster images (JPEG, GIF and PNG). Vector images are smaller, flexible and scalable without loss of quality. This is an undeniable advantage. It also adapts to the main operating systems such as Windows, Linux and MacOS. This suits me perfectly since I have two computers, one where Windows is installed and the other MacOS.

CONS

A little slow to start but I gladly forgive it because it helps me to create for example beautiful stickers!

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

What I like about Inkscape is that you can create clean vector images to use on a website for example.

Nigel Masimba

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2020

Great For Web Development Quick Fixes

Inkscape is great for minor edits to images and for exporting SVG images to raster formats. I use it to create minimalist icons and export them to PNG format. However, due to the rise of the WebP format I've had to add an extra step to my workflow where I export from SVG to PNG, then from PNG to WebP. While I could install a WebP plugin for Inkscape I've had bad experiences with Inkscape plugins in the past and I avoid them as much as possible.

PROS

Supports most of the mainstream media formats. Uses okay file compression for exported PNG files. It's easy to use and learn. It's stable.

CONS

It does not support WebP image import and export out of the box. Compatibility issues when objects/shapes are not converted into paths. If I don't convert SVG objects to paths they might not display correctly in other applications.

The other options are not supported on Linux-based OSs

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

Corel Draw is not supported on my current operating system (Linux-based)

Praveen

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed July 2021

The best free alternative to Illustrator

Inkscape is a great tool for vector design. Even though Inkscape is completely free, it offers many features and tools available in paid competitors. It was used to design social media posts that looked amazing with relative ease.

PROS

Inkscape offers a large amount of features you need for digital illustrations and vector design. It was used mainly for social media post design and it offered everything needed to design amazing posters and flyers. There is a small learning curve but even for a beginner who is absolutely new, there are numerous tutorials online to learn and get going. I have used both Adobe Illustrator (which is the popular paid design tool) and Inkscape (which is 100% free) and I was able to do the same things I needed on both, which is a testament to how good Inkscape is.

CONS

There are a few tools that are not available in Inkscape and file conversion can be improved. However, for basic use everything was fine and there are no major complaints.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

Inkscape is free to use and offers similar functionality to Illustrator.

Martin

Internet, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

Inkscape is my Photoshop alternative

My overall experience with Inkscape is very positive. The inability to open .ai files is a minor problem for my use case, but when designing vectors from start, Inkscape is my favourite tool.

PROS

Well, the price is fantastic - you can't beat free, but the intuitive layout of Inkscape makes for an easy and intuitive experience when using it for designing.

CONS

It isn't compatible with Illustrator's .ai file format, despite both being SVG editors

Reason for choosing Inkscape

Price. I don't create or edit SVGs enough to warrant the purchase/subscription of Illustrator.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

Photoshop won't open SVG files.

Govinda

Non-Profit Organization Management, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed January 2020

Review for Inkspace

Considering it is a free platform, I have actually enjoyed the high quality material I can develop using it. Moreover, its cross-functionality is amazing, I can easily open PDF or AI files to edit and modify.

PROS

The software is user-friendly and runs on many platforms. It helps with my ongoing daily routine tasks. The best thing about it is that its absolutely free. You dont have to pay a penny.

CONS

It doesnt have a lot of options or functions to offer, very limited. Also, its interface is not very attractive unlike the other platforms.

Reason for choosing Inkscape

It is an open source (free) software and offers medium-range functions at almost no price to pay. It can also easily convert bitmap images to vectors which is a plus. Overall, it offers enough functions for me to get my work done without paying any money.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

I moved from Adobe Illustrator because it is free. Plus it offers me the option to modify documents and files of other platforms which others dont offer. It is value for money.

Hailey

Retail, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2022

Great free graphic design software

Inkscape has allowed me to create more detailed vector designs for use in my business at a quicker pace than using the Cricut Design Space software. I would recommend it to all Cricut users and to those just looking for an affordable graphic design software.

PROS

As a free software, this program is great for anyone looking to do graphic design work but especially for beginners. I started using Inkscape as a way to design vector files for use with my Cricut machine. The Cricut Design Space software had a lot of limitations and was very slow for working with text, so I turned to Inkscape for almost all of my project designs. I can then easily save my vector files in .svg format to upload into Cricut Design Space for making my projects.

CONS

Inkscape will occasionally crash and close while I'm using it, so be sure to save often. As a free software, this is a mild annoyance but not a deal breaker.

Reason for choosing Inkscape

The alternate programs that were recommended to me were paid and as a beginner, Inkscape stood out as the obvious choice to start with as it is a free software.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

Cricut Design Space had a lot of limitations on graphic design and operated very slowly when working with text. I needed a software that had more features and would be easier to use while allowing me to save my vector designs for easy import into Design Space to create my projects. As a free software, Inkscape was an obvious choice to try out and once I got the hang of some basic features, it became my go to software.

Amanda

Arts and Crafts, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2022

Great Software

Inkscape has been a lifesaver for my business. I can create and print through the same program without being limited on my size. I can also create cut files which I can then import into another program and use my cutting machine with. It has quickly become my go-to software.

PROS

I love that I can create my own SVG files and I get to keep them unlike other software programs I use. I can import other designs and manipulate as I go. I can create custom files and the sky is the limit

CONS

I have trouble getting the offset to work. I am sure it is user error but I struggle with it most of the times I use it. Also, sometimes when I clip I just get a blank white box instead of what I am trying to clip. I find it struggles when using text editior to pick text while scrolling through all the options.

Reason for choosing Inkscape

Inkscape was free and Photoshop is very expensive. I am just a beginner and felt that I didn't need to put all that money into a product that I don't know how to use. WIth Inkscape I can just learn as I go.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

I have the freedom to design and keep my files/share files if I so choose so. I can also print larger than 6.25x9.75 that you are limited with.

Thomas

Design, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2023

Best vector based editor for linux

My daily driver for most of the graphic design / laser engraving I do.

PROS

Great for publishing, pre-print page layout and preparation, vector works and laser engraving. It even has a embroidery plugin that allows it to become fully functional embroidery software.

CONS

nothing to say here, it is great alternative to the win / mac software, but available on any platform.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

Wanted to leave the Win ecosystem and become linux-only user.

Matt

Medical Practice, 2-10 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed May 2020

Awesome Open Source Vector Design Software

When upgrading all of our office computers we lost our old installation of the Adobe Creative Suite. We have since used Inkscape to replace Illustrator. It is very seldom that we use graphics editors in our office, so the cost of an adobe subscription did not make sense. Using Inkscape has been an amazing free alternative.

PROS

Inkscape is very intuitive and was an easy transition to make coming from illustrator. It does not have the steep learning curve that you may see when leaving other commercial software for open source. It is not very resource intensive allowing us to run Inkscape on any machine in the office.

CONS

The industry standard is still the adobe suite. It can make things problematic if I need to collaborate with a partner as many people do not use Inkscape.

Reasons for switching to Inkscape

Cost. We did not want to purchase a software subscription.

Infiyaz

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2018

The best open source option for creating vector graphics

Compared to the minor setbacks, I recommend InkScape for all vector drawings.

PROS

If you're looking to 'create' vector graphics, InkScape is very straightforward and simple to use. It has a well-arranged menu system and it allows you to do any 2D graphic that you'd otherwise create using expensive programs like Illustrator. It runs on most platforms - for me I need to use it on Windows and Ubuntu and it works without a flaw. It supports layers but you don't really need it since you can easily re-edit every single object even on the same layer. The fact that the files created are as SVGs allows the images to be directly opened on all modern web browsers. I truly admire the work of the developers here as this is a great open source program and you can just download it for free.

CONS

These are the main drawbacks of InkScape: 1. You can only export images as PNG files if you need bitmap exports. Not even JPEG is possible. 2. 3D graphics are not possible. 3. Saving as other formats or importing from AI files is not always great. It seems a little buggy. 4. There is no way to know if your colours are print or screen-friendly. This is something that you find important especially for printing logos and art work. Despite these drawbacks, I always choose it as I find it very comfortable working with it.

Reviewed December 2018

Great Free Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Overall, this program is great when paired with a paint program, something to support the vector. Gimp was really good to pair with it. I would definitely recommend

PROS

Inkscape is a vector software that allows you to make clean logos, illustrations, infographics, etc. I only just downloaded this program about a week ago but I've already used it in my freelance illustration job. The other program I had been using was Gimp, another free software. But Gimp wasn't allowing me to create basic shapes. So I was able to save the file I was working on in Gimp as a .pdf file and then bring it over to Inkscape where I added boxes that were perfectly resizeable and did not anchor after you made them. I was able to go back and adjust the color of the boxes and also add and format text within them. It was beautiful. Inkscape is part of GNU which is the Free Software Movement put in place for just that-- freedom of software, bringing people from all walks of life into an equal platform. So that is why I chose to pair my previous Gimp software with this free Inkscape software as they are part of GNU Systems. Actually, Inkscape borrows some tools and coding from GIMP making it so easy and natural to jump between the two programs in one project. I'd go as far as to say that Inkscape is to Gimp what Adobe Illustrator is to Adobe Photoshop. Each is needed in it's own capacity, each tackle the same job at different angles.

CONS

This is purely asthetic but one thing I was slightly put off by was the white layout. When I first logged into the program, it reminded me of Sticky Notes on my computer. It didn't have that Adobe-esque feel that Gimp had with basically the same dark design. It just didn't feel like it could hold up to creating numerous graphic layers and really tricky tool maneuvers. While obviously it is not Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape seems like it has a lot of essential features to pair up with Gimp, that when these two free programs are paired, the result is very similar to Adobe Suite products. It is a bit different in the tools area as AI. I wasn't able to figure out how to move objects onto different layers. It wasn't as intuitive as AI or Gimp, for that matter.

Arun