All PicMonkey Reviews

JAZE

Architecture & Planning, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2021

Images Turn Out Lovely When Using PicMonkey

There are so many templates to play around with that I literally have to dedicate a whole day to picking out which one does it for me the most. PicMonkey bought out the photo-editing genius in me that I never knew existed because I usually take video-editing seriously, photos were never really my thing but now they totally are.

PROS

I have been making amazing photo projects as of late with this software. I upload my image into the program, I fine-tune my exposure settings, I add an effect or two just to see how much better my image can become, then I just play around with some of their touch-up tools to make the image really stand out and Voilà, I got me a masterpiece.

CONS

Something bizarre keeps happening when I use PicMonkey though. It just freezes. In making sure that it wasn't anything on my end I tried it on 3 different PCs and the the same result would happen eventually. One time it happened when I was working on an image for about 3 hours, of course silly me, I hadn't saved my work yet so I had to start all over again which was a huge bummer. They might want to look into that.

Reason for choosing PicMonkey

I saw GIMP as more of a technical approach when it came to photo-editing, sort of what like Photoshop is and that was not my intention when I was looking for a new photo-editing program. I needed something more playful and less difficult than that.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

I have used Canva on a number of occasions and have always had fun with it, but not to the level of fun I had when I started using PicMonkey. I usually use Canva for specific tasks like creating a banner for my YouTube channel or making a quick logo, PicMonkey is so much more than that, I really enjoy using it for collages.

Abigail

Executive Office, 1 employee

Reviewed June 2021

Awesome graphic and picture editing software

I really love using PicMonkey it is my go to graphic design tool. I use it for online graphics as well as designing print graphics.

PROS

I love that I can use the transparent background feature and make logos. I also love the fact that I can edit pictures right in the system while I'm creating, fixing blemishes, adjusting coloring and so many helpful tools are at your fingertips.

CONS

Picture edits are not completely customizable and you can't use presets like LightRoom to edit pictures.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

Canva did not have the editing features that PicMonkey had such as removing backgrounds from pictures, painting or erasing certain parts.

Hi Abigail. We appreciate your review of PicMonkey - thank you! Wanted you to know that there are a few ways you can customize your edits. You can paint on/erase off an effect so it only affects a particular area of your image, you have a fade control, and quite a few of our effects have sliders to customize your look. For example, Blur has Focal Size, Edge Hardness, and Blur percentage sliders; Arcade has 6 sliders; and Posterize has 5 sliders, to name a few. Secondly, one of the biggies for people who really want to create a unique look for their images is the group within Edits called "Advanced Edits." There you'll find Color Changer, Clone, Dodge, Burn, and -- these ones are the heavy lifters -- Levels and Curves. Hope you try these, and please reach out to our Support department if you have questions. https://www.picmonkey.com/help/create-ticket

Replied June 2021

Mike

Sports, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed December 2018

PicBasic

PicMonkey was one of the first free design editors I stumbled upon and I really liked it for the simple tasks I needed complete. I even sprung for the annual subscription just to have additional features. For a while, I would say it was the best of it's kind. However, new competition sprung up, and in an attempt to pivot to be more comprehensive, I feel that PicMonkey lost touch with why customers were using it in the first place. Others may appreciate the added changes, and those are people who are simply unaware that there are better choices elsewhere. Again, these changes are relatively recent, as PicMonkey's new iterations are still in beta testing, and maybe in the end it will be a more superior product than I'm giving it credit for. I just abide by the old saying "It's better to be a first rate version of yourself than a second rate version of someone else."

PROS

One of the only reasons I still use(d) PicMonkey was the ability to quickly create a collage of photos and add some filters, text, stickers. The low subscription cost was attractive, and I figured if it saved me additional formatting time it would take to use PhotoShop, it would be worth the deal. It's done the trick for the past few years.

CONS

The new BETA platform is a nightmare. PicMonkey had already been circumvented by other competitors offers free and easy design solutions like Canva, that allowed you to save and store your designs in the cloud. PicMonkey caught on and it trying to create a "hub" for design storage and a more sophisticated design platform, but in turn, they butchered what was once a simple and easy tool worthy of a low cost subscription in favor of cut rate imitator of more sophisticated platform. I won't be renewing when my subscription expires in January.

Adam

Design, 2-10 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed January 2020

Fantastic Web Based Design Functionality

I loved using PicMonkey when I managed another organization because I could delegate design projects to temporary workers or volunteers and they were able run with it. It is solid program for quick and dirty design projects. It is probably my favorite out of similar type programs.

PROS

Picmonkey is great for creative projects if you want a web based program. I like the functionality of using the browser or app, sharing a company account, syncing projects with colleagues and more. It offers many simple solutions that make using it quick and easy.

CONS

I ultimately left Picmonkey because I needed more robust design functionality so I embraced Adobe Illustrator.

Reason for choosing PicMonkey

I didn't want to teach everyone Illustrator and Picmonkey was a viable solution.

Picmonkey is better

Erin

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2024

I find Picmonkey easier to use than Photoshop or Canva

Overall I am very happy with Picmonkey and will continue to use it in my workflow.

PROS

I started using PicMonkey 4 years ago and have been using it ever since. I also use Photoshop, Lightroom, and Canva but routinely go back to Picmonkey as I find a lot of their user interface to just be - well EASY. It is very intuitive and spits out great results.

CONS

Sometimes it can glitch and freeze up which is frustrating.

Reason for choosing PicMonkey

I use all 3 of them - depending on what I am working on. I like the ease of use with adding graphics and text choices in Picmonkey.

Reviewed February 2024

Horrible Experience - from product not working, to customer service, to transparency in their terms -- overall horrible customer experience

So now I'm working with their robotic customer support which keeps repeating an offer to prorate my charge, and only charge me for one month instead of the full year - one month- you mean 5-10 min of a failed "premium" feature should cost me one a month fee? Instead of them paying me to test their "premium" failed feature, I'm now paying them to beta test their product? WTF?

PROS

Originally, it seemed easy enough for a non technical novice who just wanted to edit a few pics...offered a free trial so I jumped on it, knowing (or at least being led to believe) I could cancel it before the trial runs out, pretty standard stuff.

CONS

The one feature I really needed was background removal and editing - I have some specific images I need to be made transparent to overlay onto other images and b/c there was a free trial, I said let me try it. As soon as I went to try it, it wanted me to upgrade to pro but as long as I was in a trial, I said ok, in fact it said, trial ends and gave me a date in early March, so all good. Well, along with removing the background, removed a significant portion of my image. I went and cancelled my trial immediately, 5 min into the trial and see that they already billed me for the full year.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

This organization does not have integrity, nor are they very concerned with customer experience and satisfaction.

Micalen

Computer Games, 1 employee

Reviewed January 2024

A very user-friendly images editor

Overall working in PicMonkey has flowed so smoothly. It is so user-friendly!

PROS

PicMonkey has a lot of tools for me to edit my images. There's fine-tune editing but also many effects and textures I can add. The software is very easy to use. Great free features.

CONS

It is not the best option for professionals but perfect for non-designers.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

A more user-friendly software for simpler tasks.

Brielan

Animation, 201-500 employees

Reviewed August 2019

PicMonkey Review

PROS

PicMonkey is a great simple editing software for beginners. Even as a professional, I often turn to Picmonkey for cool fonts that I don't need to worry about tracking down on my own. I love the wide variety of effects one can use without needing to have an indepth knowledge of photo editing or illustrating.

CONS

It is a bit simplistic for any professional, and any feature and more on Picmonkey could be created in Photoshop.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

Gimp was too difficult to use for basic edits.

Holli

Arts and Crafts, 1 employee

Reviewed December 2020

PIC Monkey

I'm satisfied with the ease of use and different features for the price. I dont need support very much so I dont have to contact customer service just yet lol. My good friend has had a couple of times that she got no response at all.

PROS

Picmonkey has alot of cool features such as, fonts, backgrounds, templates, collages, filters and a ton more! To much to mention hehehe.

CONS

There is no phone support for Picmonkey. And email takes them 2 days to respond. And twice they disnt respond at all

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

More options available that suits my line of work

Reviewed May 2021

Nice site for people who want graphic design layouts done for them

I used PicMonkey for a year but finances dictated that I needed to stop.

PROS

Very easy to use. Lots of great templates and ideas for social media ads. Plenty of images and tools available.

CONS

I don't have any complaints with it. I enjoyed using it very much and when I have the funds to continue, I probably will.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

Seemed quicker and easier to use PicMonkey. However, GIMP is free, and I fell back on using that.

Thank you for your review!

Replied June 2021

Denise

Entertainment, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2021

It makes me feel like an expert

PROS

Lots of templates to choose from and very easy to change them to your liking.

CONS

There are not too many things I don’t like now. They have improved the things I didn’t like.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

Less expensive and PicMonkey upped their game.

Alyssa

Higher Education, 501-1,000 employees

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed October 2019

Good product

Overall, this is a good software that gets the job done. It has a lot of features. The cost is minimal.

PROS

I like PicMonkey because it is easy to use, and figure out the features. You can do a lot with PicMonkey for free, which is a plus.

CONS

A lot of things that I use cost money. There are many free options, but a lot of the things you'll use most frequently cost money.

Reasons for switching to PicMonkey

PicMonkey had a lot more options, and seemed to be more user friendly.

Reviewed September 2018

Easy-to-Use Picture Editing with Tons of Features

With the help of PicMonkey, my blogs are more interesting and well-received. It has helped me to gain several hundred followers and make new friends.

PROS

I blog, with lots of pictures. I tried to learn Adobe's picture software, and it was just way too much work for me. PicMonkey is mostly intuitive. There are two features I especially like: When all I want is to correct color, brighten, etc., I use the first option called "Auto Adjust." That usually does the trick and I am ready to export and post the picture. The second feature involves cutting something out of a second picture to add to the original. Just click on the "graphics" butterfly on the left side, then use the "add your own" feature. It will bring in whatever picture you choose from several sources and give you the option to erase anything you don't want in the picture, then place what's left where you want it in the original. Very nice. Additionally, there is a good collage section with lots of choices. I also like that a picture can be saved to PicMonkey to be changed again or added to a collage. They also have "Touch Up" and "Design" sections that I have not used.

CONS

PicMonkey does not have drag and drop. It would be easier if they would add this feature because I am so used to doing things that way. I also wish that I could jump from Picture Editing to Collage without exiting first.

Michelle

Arts and Crafts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2021

Make your photos stand out!

You can specifically edit your Facebook cover photo or even photos for intended Instagram posts with PicMonkey. Social media isn't going away anytime soon and it is fun to make your photos look the best they possibly can.

PROS

There are many photo editing programs out there and I have certainly tried a lot of them. I have to say that PicMonkey is by far my favorite. It is a great program for beginners, or anyone who really hasn't edited photos before. You do not need any previous experience of photo editing to be able to use PicMonkey. I have an online business and I have used PicMonkey to create banners, crop and edit photos of my product, as well as add fonts. I love that you can import your own fonts. It allows you to make whatever you are creating much more customizable and to tailor it to your preference. The "Auto Adjust" feature works great to fix a photo that needs the color corrected or brightened with a single click. I use PicMonkey to create the flyer I put in each product I ship out and I have received some excellent feedback on the quality of the photos on this flyer. I use the collage feature specifically, allowing me to have the maximum number of pictures of different products for sale on a single page. I have been able to edit my photos from simple to eyecatching with this software. I have also used PicMonkey to edit family photos and upload them to create calendars. This past Christmas I created two calendars this way and they were great Christmas presents for my parents and in-laws.

CONS

You only get a 7 day trial before you have to commit to purchase. Another con is that you can only upload or download images one at a time. If I am trying to upload multiple photos onto a template, there is no option to choose all 30 at once and I think they should fix this feature.

Brian

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2018

Great Cross-browser Platform for Photo and Image-editing Anytime and Anywhere!

Overall, PicMonkey is still a useful and great tool. For the untrained in graphic arts, it is going to be easy, fast to pick up with given tutorials and tips readily available within PicMonkey. You can work anywhere and anytime on any browser on any OS platforms without having to worry about compatibility issues on software and hardware. It should be a smooth ride!

PROS

Personally, I had used PhotoShop and many other graphic tools. PicMonkey is one of them as well. I do find it a fantastic tool, second to Canva. (other more popular online graphic design tool) It also has got an affordable price point compared to Canva or Snappa. (another less popular graphic editing tool) If you don't want to invest too much on a heavy-duty program like PhotoShop that contains a lot of features, PicMonkey maybe a better alternative for you. It contains a slick and fast user interface to work with. It also has got less functions than PhotoShop, but it is easy to use and master the basics. Moreover, it offers great flexibility in terms of opening up images saving them from various storage media.

CONS

PicMonkey offers only a miserable 7-day trial. I was hoping they would give us a longer trial period. At the least, a 14-day trial will be so much better. Well, freebies always come with constraints, I guess. And also that banner advertisements in the software interface that can distract your attention if you are using a FREE account. I also discovered that there is no upload of custom logos or graphics option in the software. As you will experience, anything that is designed to give you great productivity and ease of use, will limit your customisation needs and constrain your workflows and ideas. E.g. I found that moving and placing images are constrained by the nodes (points) of the selected object or text. It is not so free and flexible compared to doing the same thing in PhotoShop though.

Sue

Arts and Crafts, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2019

Great photo editing

I used PicMonkey for my business photos. I sold jewelry online so it was imperative my photos were spot on, showed the actual color and texture of the pieces, didn't have shadows or blemishes in the background. I could crop and add text such as sizes or special features. I can enhance a models lip or eye color and add sparkle or a multitude of other features available. Change the exposure, enhance certain colors, make black and white, resize and sharpen images and rotate photos. This software does so much more than I used it for but it certainly covered all the bases when it came to what I needed. And the price is unbeatable when it comes to editing software.

PROS

No download so it can be used without taking up PC space. The vast amount of editing features are great for business and personal use, kids love it too. There really isn't anything I couldn't do of fix. Import photos to make collages, add text, change backgrounds, fix photos or just jazz up an image. It was easy to learn unlike so many of the expensive editor software and the price is great.

CONS

There's limited help although some of the features have tips available as you use them.

Tyler

Graphic Design, 1 employee

Reviewed April 2019

A great Canva alternative!

PROS

I'm a graphic designer that is very comfortable using more powerful design tools (Adobe suite of programs), but sometimes this is overkill. In situations where I need to put together a relatively simple graphic for social media or etc, it's nice to be able to turn to a program that's simpler, more streamline, and very easy to use. That's where PicMonkey comes it. It's a feature rich, intuitive way to quickly create images and designs. They've got a great set of templates for a variety of projects, or you can go from scratch. It's cut a lot of time out of my work day, by allowing me to whip things up that just simply would take me longer using other tools.

CONS

Like many of these online design tools, if you're not careful it is easy to fall into the trap of churning out stuff that feels very over done. Templates are both a blessing and a curse. Spend enough time online and you'll be able to start picking out images that were created using PicMonkey, Canva, and others. I'd recommend starting with a template, but then really putting in the effort to make it unique. It'll take a bit longer, but still less time than going from scratch in Adobe Illustrator or etc, and will be uniquely yours. On the template point, it can also feel a bit restrictive at times. There's a good selection with PicMonkey, but if you are needing to create something and there just isn't a template that is similar enough, you may have to calculate whether going from scratch is worth you're time, as editors like these are usually a bit more finicky to work with from scratch than something like the Adobe suite.

Meheza