All Intercom Reviews

Intercom is a powerful Customer Support Tool

Liam

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Not Much Competition

Everything has been fantastic from the Customer Success-led implementation process to it being deployed to our users. Multiple compliments on the feasibility of use since purchasing.

PROS

From both the administrative and user perspective, the ease of use and just overall depth of what you can create with the product is very impressive. It allows a great amount of customer support to be automated and simplify it's delivery via articles and a knowledge base that'll continually grow. Although it's not the biggest feature, as a user, I love that it's focused on getting you an answer/resolution the quickest way possible given the same entry method. Type "adding users" in an application with Intercom support will quickly both deliver you articles that can potentially solve your problem or will also quickly deploy a CSM to you to answer it directly in case it was a bit more complex. Best part though is the feedback cycle, you're typing exactly what you want to know into the application and if no articles return: New Content Topic.

CONS

Theres really not much. I've run into situations where it was wrongly applied within other organizations and not properly resourced, giving a less than average experience. But that's not as much specific to Intercom themselves. Given they are the industry leader, it can come at a premium for a larger organizations.

Reason for choosing Intercom

The overall growth of the company and product over the past few years and the speed in which they've been able to push out updates and new features shows a lot of promise over their competitors. Honestly, the user experience that we had been encountering when coming upon sites and companies that were using Intercom was so positive that it was hard to not want to give that same experience to our users.

Reasons for switching to Intercom

Overall compatibility with scaling of the company and support infrastructure. Not enough functionality to grow out an effective customer knowledge base that's as simple to approach for customers and internal content builders alike.

Lillian

Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed August 2023

Intercom is a great support system tool

Quickly and simply, I can access the Macros and write/update the articles in the assistance center. Streamlining the process of submitting tickets to the correct division for handling user concerns. It's a time saver for all teams because they can deal with it themselves.

PROS

Streamlining the process of submitting and responding to tickets, and developing automated tools to streamline and simplify our daily lives. I appreciate how simple it is to locate articles and macros to distribute to my clientele. The addition of emoticons and gifs to the discourse is a nice touch, as well.

CONS

Previous software allowed us to see the customer's input before he sent it. This allowed us to quickly respond to his query by reading it as he was writing it. If only I could keep seeing it.

Reasons for switching to Intercom

The singing macros help me get more done in less time. When responding to similar questions in several chats or emails, I do not have to retype my entire response each time. This has been the primary cause of my recent surge in output.

Rilwan

Entertainment, 2-10 employees

Reviewed May 2024

One step ahead of competition

PROS

The ease to incorporate into the business and handle all our customer enquiries make it the best option for our business. It is easier to incorporate with other apps we use as well.

CONS

So far, I don't have any cons with using Intercom as it provides great experience for the users.

De

Financial Services, 2-10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed May 2021

NOT $39 starting price anymore. $59 a month for basic chat function

My overall experience with Intercom has been poor. we've been using them at the basic level for three years. I chatted with them to get a demo of their features to upgrade but they refused to give me a demo and finally set me up with a "30" call in which the rep tells me that she won't give me an upgrade after she finds out that i am not interested in the $500/mo annual contract. She says demos are for those upgrading to that level, instead, she'll send me links and prerecorded stuff. And that i can reach out if I have questions. The 30 min call was more like a 5 min conversation which was already difficult to set up. I've been in sales for over 15 year and when there is an upgrade opportunity regardless how small, I support that client. If Intercom was the only organization that did what they do, maybe I understand their cockiness and disregard for the smaller organizations. However, there are SO many competitors that provide you with very similar functionalities for less the price and with better customer support. So yes, I'm annoyed as I am a current user who is doing research on other competitors so I can stop being a customer.

PROS

It's "popular" and works well if your company is enterprise sized.

CONS

If you're a start up or a smaller business don't expect to get support. It's very expensive - starting at 59 dollars a month for one person accessing the basic chat. Sure they offer a few other things but like a team inbox? Most organizations already have an email system and a company chat in place. Next level up is $119 a month that gives you a few more functions. Until you are paying their $500 a month locked in an annual contract, you are "self serve" customer. Meaning, no support - just their faq/website. Can't even get a good phone call for help.

Hi De, Thanks for leaving us such a detailed and candid review. I'm sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your Intercom experience, it's certainly not what we aim for. While we do tier our support and sales resources based on subscription levels, the max you should be waiting for a response is 2 days. I'll flag this with both our Support and Sales team as it sounds like we haven't met this expectation in your case. When it comes to pricing we have a number of plan available (including our Early Stage plan where eligible startups get advanced Intercom features and Early Stage Academy at a 95% discount). As Intercom has grown, our pricing has had to evolve alongside this and there's still work to be done in this area. We're aware that no pricing structure will suit every business type but our aim is to truly reflect the value that our product delivers, allowing both your business and ours to succeed. Your feedback is extremely helpful and will be passed on to the team.

Replied June 2021

Allison

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Top of the line customer support solution with lots of features.

PROS

Intercom is super easy to use and doesn't require a lot of training of end users. I like that we can add it to directly to our website so that it's easily accessible by our customers. We also heavily utilize their proactive support features to alert customers to new features and updates, which is very handy. We also use their survey feature and like that it's easy for our customers to answer. Their chat feature is good and we like the automation that you can program to triage customer issues.

CONS

I wish the ticketing feature was better so that we could more easily communicate tickets to engineering that need additional work and support and tag them to multiple customers. The Jira integration doesn't give enough visibility into what's happening in Jira as well. The reports from surveys also aren't the best/a little difficult to use. It's hard to sometimes see how the feedback we receive on questions corresponds with the score.

Emma

Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed August 2023

An innovative and beneficial resource for businesses.

Better and more convenient contact between us and our customers is always appreciated. Easy history tracking is made possible by this intuitive tool. It's simple to record my conversations and analyze them afterwards for development purposes.

PROS

An easy-to-use intercom system. Easy to use even for first-timers, this program has just the right amount of detail without being overwhelming. The intercom is similar to another email program that we use, and I can explain why. Its fast features and user-friendly interface, such as the helpful and funny bot, greatly enhance customer service and lead to exceptional client satisfaction.

CONS

I find that the intercom sometimes has trouble loading some conversations, which is a major drawback for me. As a customer service representative, you're fielding calls while waiting for the intercom inbox to load the customer's information. In addition to the holdup, additional issues have slowed down the operation of the customer support team.

Reasons for switching to Intercom

We utilize it to track and respond to customer care inquiries, and I personally find it useful for conducting surveys with our service's end users. I keep an eye on our attendant stats using the reports, and I gauge customer happiness with surveys created using the Surveys tool. In addition, we export client information through the Contacts tab.

Jennie

Internet, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2019

A Great Lead Capture

Makes customer communication and customer acquisition easier. I wish the chat flows were more advanced and customizable. There was definitely a learning curve with the chat flows. Also, I don't believe I can export contact information with my leads.

PROS

-Capturing emails and names -Integrating to Hubspot and other software for easy lead closure -Creating chat flows allows us to communicate to customers faster and saves us time

CONS

-Would like to combine actions on Intercom -Hubspot Integration is not perfect; would like to have specific field matching -Chat flow capabilities are limited

Reason for choosing Intercom

Intercom was recommended to us from other entrepreneurs.

Reasons for switching to Intercom

We were on a free plan with LiveChat for a year because we were part of an Incubator. When the year ended, we wanted to consider other options. Intercom gave us a startup plan, so it ended up being cheaper than LiveChat.

Reviewed November 2023

Great live chat and marketing tool

Intercom is vital for our sales and customer service teams, we use it to communicate with our customers in real time and through email campaigns.

PROS

It is easy to use, and honestly one of the best tools out there. Intercom has a ton of features that go from a simple chat bubble to interact with your users, to email marketing tools and AI bots. They have a ton of integrations with other services.

CONS

Many features can be found behind a paywall and their tiers of service and bundles are not very clear.

Reason for choosing Intercom

The original developers, decided it was a cost effective and easy to set-up and deploy tool, they were not wrong.

Information Technology and Services, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed February 2023

The Finest Online Chat Service Currently Available

In a short amount of time, we can offer extensive support to our clients. Having a help desk and the option to speak in real time are both fantastic additions. Many businesses today use Intercom to request pricing and quote information, and the platform's ability to route inquiries to the appropriate team member is a huge asset in building a pipeline.

PROS

For over a year, I've loved the intercom's ease of use. Love the mobile app, and the interface is clean. Our services are highly adaptable. When it comes to expanding support, bots are invaluable. The onboarding process is also quite beneficial.

CONS

Having more inactive contacts on the intercom increased the monthly bill. You must continually archive users in order to keep costs at a minimum.

Reasons for switching to Intercom

Since day one, we've relied on Intercom to help us provide unrivaled 24/7 chat assistance for our customers. We utilize the chat function to communicate with customers, but we also make extensive use of the reporting and stats capabilities to learn more about our customers' habits and preferences.

Arkngshu

Financial Services, 1 employee

Reviewed May 2024

I recommend everyone to use this

PROS

The most i like about Intercom is its massaging features..

CONS

I dont see any reason to dislike Intercom.according to me this is the best email marketing tool.

Thanks for the fantastic feedback!

Replied May 2024

Kyle

Information Technology and Services, 1 employee

Adds Much More Value Than You Realise

While the price tag for Intercom is not small, especially for startups launching their first mobile app versions, it has consistently proven to be one of the most valuable assets for teams in terms of user support, communication & out-of-the-box development readiness.

PROS

The in-app chat feature (with its cross-platform support for React Native and Ionic) is absolutely the biggest differentiator for Intercom. It is a critical part of our day-to-day operations & every client that has gone the route of implementing it with us has been hugely surprised by the large amount of value it adds to end users.

CONS

We are facing ongoing complications differentiating identified and unidentified users. The experimental API available for Android seemed to be heading in the right direction to solve this, but we haven't seen updates on the stub implementation for iOS in over a year (https://github.com/intercom/intercom-ios/blob/master/Intercom.framework/Headers/Intercom%2BExperimental.h).

Reason for choosing Intercom

The depth of features, native mobile experience for users, easy to implement push notifications & powerful management console trumped our experiences with the others available & unified several different but related requirements.

Nathaniel

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2019

The really bridge the gap between customers and our service

Their customer success team is great, even on the days when I'm not the most gracious customer. I even try to emulate some of their practices because I feel heard as a customer when I suggest features or report what I think could be bugs in the system.

PROS

The ability to converse with our customers quickly and seamlessly between email and the messenger app is great. They've thought through this feature set very well and it brings us very close to our customers and we are able to convert leads very well through this service too. Other similar apps function the same, but their UI/UX is lacking compared to Intercom. The actual feel of the app is clean and friendly and dare I say...even fun to use. Customer success at Intercom is also excellent, they've got our backs and I appreciate it (although getting paired with someone in a vastly different time zone can hold up ticket times on our end).

CONS

There are some gaps in the help center and email features. It would be ideal to create/edit documents in a manner closer to Microsoft Word or Google doc, as those are the standard for editing documents these days. Little things like not being able to create a list inside of a document the way I would in other apps can be frustrating, but there is usually a workaround of some sort that will suffice (I'm just picky). It would also be nice to only be paired with their team members in our time zone. Working in the US and then being helped by a team member from Australia means our ticket times take much longer and conversation is hard to do in real time.

Reason for choosing Intercom

We use this Intercom for our help center, to convert leads, and to help our customers. There are many more features/integrations we don't use but that would be useful in the future as we scale.

Guy

Information Services, 51-200 employees

Reviewed February 2020

Horrendous company, be careful of getting locked in

Absolutely horrible in every possible way.

PROS

The UI allowing to construct auto-messages

CONS

They lure companies in to integrating intercom into the workflows and take advantage of the difficulty of later migrating to another product, in order to jack up the prices to ridiculous levels. We've had to complain multiple times each year for drastic overcharges (think 3x) and fight with them for months until they would process some refund (after numerous lies and diversion attempts by their reps). Unethical company, unethical staff, can't be trusted one bit as a business partner. Also be aware that they do not grandfather plans, and you are at their mercy, they can at any time give you a short notice before "updating" the pricing structure. The most recent "update" would have caused a ~5x in price, getting us to flee to another provider at a great internal cost.

Hi Guy - first off, I want to apologize for the difficulties you've had. Since Intercom started, we've focused entirely on the idea of strong customer relationships and I'm sorry that we let you down here. I hope I can clarify why these pricing changes are being made and provide some more context. We've recently changed our pricing model to a simpler one that we believe is better aligned with the value our customers get from the product. That meant an increase in price for some customers and a decrease for others. Getting pricing right at Intercom has admittedly always been really challenging for us, but we don't want you to feel this way. I'm sorry to see you go as a customer. If you'd like to speak to your account manager (or me directly) about what happened for your account specifically, we'd really love to chat. You can email me (phil at intercom dot com) if you're open to a conversation. Phil (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Replied March 2020

Helen

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed February 2023

Mostly great, with some glaring issues

Mostly positive, but even so we are in the process of switching to another tool that has more straightforward pricing and complete features.

PROS

Generally Intercom is easy to use and their documentation is quite good, so it's usually easy to find the answer to any question we might have. Anytime a new feature or change is rolled out, they offer pretty solid onboarding and walk you through how to get the most out of it. In terms of capabilities, I'd say Intercom offers more than most. Many options for integrations. We use it for lead generation, email marketing, customer engagement, and tickets. In all cases it is pretty quick and easy to use and easy to collaborate with team members.

CONS

We've been using Intercom for years without any significant issues, but over the past 2-3 years it has grown and evolved in ways that haven't always been positive. Their customer support is much slower and less responsive than they once were. As they've added new features and capabilities they've also increased fees and now you have to pay separately for every tiny thing. It seems like every single feature in the platform requires a paid upgrade and this rapidly and significantly increases the cost. Reporting is very weak and only goes back a few months (it's so bad that we don't use any of it... all of our reporting is done externally with integrations).Finally, and perhaps most significantly, many of their features don't really work the way they are marketed or the way that you'd expect. This has led to continuous disappointments when we learn that certain features don't really do what they claim to do. They are must more limited than they appear, and when you speak to their customer support about it they are always scrambling to offer you some sort of a workaround. Workarounds can be fine, but they shouldn't be required so frequently, especially for such an expensive tool.

Simon

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2023

A pricey but extremely competent choice of chat

Very well! everything from sales calls, onboarding, setup and support have worked very well.

PROS

Integration was easy with webhooks easy accessible. It is also very easy to customize chatflows with many different response options, making it a breeze to set up multiple scenarios. I do also enjoy the customization possible to for example have different chat prompts depending on the webpage a visitor goes to. On the other hand this is sometimes a bit overwhelming - I want to explore more and a customer success manager would be nice to have for this.

CONS

The price. Honestly, it seems like they try to raise and raise to squeeze a lot of money out of small businesses. Also, their pricing model is pretty difficult to understand, so be aware of all the choices you make during your sales call/order.

See above

Needed more customization

Reviewed October 2023

Fairly unreliable tool

When it works it is great, but the support team often avoids helping with issues and isn't available during a major outage.

PROS

It has great features, when they are working correctly.

CONS

There is no live support. During major outages, which are far from uncommon, it is impossible to reach anyone. Their support is only available via chat, with 1-5 business day response times. Since the support team uses the same chat platform they offer to customers, it isn't possible to reach someone during a major outage. The support is very low quality during emergency situations, so it is not a dependable tool for teams offering live customer support.

Bobby here from the customer support leadership team. Overall, sorry to see this and happy to chat more if you want — send me a message by email or LinkedIn DM! I also wanted to follow up on your feedback regarding our processes. We use Statuspage to communicate with customers during an incident or outage. We post as soon as we begin troubleshooting, share updates along the way, and communicate when it's resolved and what happened. You can also message us on Twitter during an incident, or send us an email. Intercom promises a 99.8% availability. We have never missed this, and on average exceed this target so outages are very rare thankfully. The CS team aims to respond within a few hours to 1 business day. Very soon we'll be even faster, and we'll continue to give human support to everybody. Bobby

Replied October 2023