• Pros

• "I love how it provides 3rd party api integration and has a very user friendly interface"

• "I feel like the service is generally very reliable and we have significant trust in it."

• "The ability to customize scheduling for individuals on call or notifications based on various use cases."

• Cons

• "no problems that are likely to be caused by limitations of the service, it is complicated to get right, but works great once it's been properly configured."

• "The reporting could improve it can give better detail when we are granular on different services but this has improved form when i first used the service."

• "I do not have any known cons. If i do have a suggestion it would be to make more integration features available for an enterprise edition."

Browse PagerDuty Reviews

Corey from Fuze

Bye Bye to old school on-call practices

Issues that use to "fall through the cracks" or receive no attention/acknowledgement at all have been almost eliminated totally. The time for a technical resource to be alerted to an incident and acknowledge it has gone from 15-25-35-45mins to 5 minutes or less. Teams are now proactively alerted to issues that may turn into something big before the customer notices any impact.

Pros

PagerDuty is incredibly easy to setup and use. Creating new teams, on-call schedules, and escalation policies can be done in a matter of minutes. You can go from manually looking up people via a google calendar or an excel sheet, to engaging an on-call resource in 2 minutes or less from the great app while you are on the beach. The integration with Slack is great, no other way to say it. Very useful for incident notifications for those teams that rely heavily on Slack.

Cons

The reporting functionality of PagerDuty needs some further enhancements. Obtaining certain data such as "what users are using which contact methods" for example still needs to be provided by contacting their Support team. The filtering of the Visibility console needs work and is currently limited to "All Teams" or a single team.

Kenneth from BlackHawk / CashStar

PagerDuty : A solution to almost every problem you didn't know you had yet

The software just works. We have had almost thirty thousand alerts flow through PagerDuty since we first started using it. The software completely replaced a rather broken SMS / Email alert chain overnight and has been by far the most valuable product we have purchased for keeping our system uptime levels where they need to be. Lastly a personal experience which I will always cherish. It's a snowy winter day and you're on call, but you needed paperless, and cat food, and pedlyte and diapers and other bits, so you took your 2 year old to a big box store. You're all the way at the back of the store and your phone goes off with "Something's broken... Something's Broken... It's your Fault! ... It's your Fault!..." In the box store, with a full cart and a toddler. Next thing you know... you're flying through the box store to the front, diapers falling out of the cart, sippy cup lost, toys missing, and toddler singing along with your phone since he now knows the words quite well. Get to the front, abandon the cart, the two children's voices still going full tilt, and get out to the parking lot just in the nick of time to production by ninja resizing a set of boxes as they are almost to the point of falling all over themselves. No one noticed. Thanks to PagerDuty. And now I'm *still* known as "The Something's Broken" dude by the managers of that store. They sing it to me every time I'm there 2 years later.

Pros

Integration with CloudWatch, webhooks, Jira is outstanding, functional, and reliable. The application has gotten better over the years I have used it. Handles real issues in real time with everything you need Allows on-call individuals to customize their notification scheme to fit their life. Having full control over when, where and how you are "dinged" is just awesome.

Cons

It's a little expensive per user if you need simple API things. The rule set for routing isn't as good as VictorOps for the same price point. PagerDuty is missing a "default route" option like VictorOps has. This is minor, because it's rather trivial to setup an extra account and use that "extra dummy account" as the "Default". I'm counting this as a "con" since we have had to do this for every single deployment of PagerDuty I've worked on where we wish to have alerts go to a team, but not actually notify anyone. Lastly, business-hours-only alerting is a little weak. (Maybe it has gotten better.) Every implementation I've found, we need to have some sort of queued' alerts which we don't want to wake us up in the middle of the night but we want to or need to know about next business day situation we have had to work hard to implement in PagerDuty.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

I like VictorOps, but I trusted PagerDuty. At the time, it had everything we needed. We have expanded a bit since then and I have tried out alternatives on other projects for kicks. PagerDuty will always be my first choice.

Did everything we needed it to

Kept our team groups and rotations organized and informed of production impacting problems. Easy to use so was there to help us solve our problems, not to be yet another configuration challenge to overcome.

Pros

Simple to use intuitive interface via web and smartphone app, third party integrations with Nagios, Slack, and Atlassian products (Jira), as well as custom webhooks for use with monitoring tools (grafana). Overrides available for scheduled rotations. Custom alert sounds was a nice touch.

Cons

Attention from customer support requires being a larger customer paying a significant amount of money. Which we were when I used and configured this, and it worked well for us.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

Robust features and ease of use

M. Serhat from Babbel

On-call software with rich features

I have been using PagerDuty for 1 year now, and I'm with the product so far. The only negative thing about the PagerDuty is the big latency during the incidents.

Pros

PagerDuty does the job. It's gonna wake you up in the middle of the night, no matter what. The number of ways they are providing for acknowledging an incident is great. You can get a call, an SMS message, a push notification on the browser, or a mobile notification for an incident.

Cons

PagerDuty has some latency when it comes to acknowledging incidents. After acknowledging an incident by using the mobile app, getting an additional phone call about the incident is a little bit annoying.

Monish from lowes

Ensure High availability of your product to the end user by integrating it with PagerDuty

PagerDuty helped our product to become highly stable and it ensured high availability to the end user, overall had a great experience with it.

Pros

PagerDuty is used to send alert notifications to developer, We can use it in a way that when ever failure occurs notify the developer who is scheduled to be on-call, Even a customer escalation to a email can trigger a pagerDuty notification alert, when the receiver email ID is subscribed with PagerDuty, PagerDuty has escalation policies , in which multiple users can be in different level, if level 1 failed to resolve the issue, the level 2 dev gets a alert etc .. and the dev's can be scheduled to rotate there levels in fixed time intervals, like weekly bases, It Dose a good job of maintaining the issue states & the alerted issue has different lifecycle such as triggered, acknowledged , resolved, snoozed, It maintains analytical dashboards on dev's which shows the responsiveness of the developer , like how many issues they have resolved and what is the average resolution time or have they escalated it etc .. it maintains history of alerts, it has good customer support, the resolution note's can also be added against the alert, We can configure the alerts as Low and High Urgency , based on which we can have different type of notifications, types of notifications are phone call, message, email, push notification in pd app etc ... pagerDuty deduplicates the alerts with same message, if a incident is in open state and if same incident occurs again and again , it will not be raised.

Cons

Sometimes when i resolve the alert on web, i still get a call on phone, If the incident was resigned by the developer to a other user who is not in the escalation policy and if he did not answer the alert the escalation chain stops, instead it should be thrown back to older escalation policy from ware it begun

Derek from Flexera

Great solution for on-call and incident management for any organisation!

We have implemented PagerDuty across our SRE and Support organizations and are beginning to roll it out to our engineering teams. This is providing us rapid Incident response and rapid engagement of teams to assist during incidents, no matter what time of day it is or where the teams are geographically located.

Pros

PagerDuty very easy to configure and use, I've given access to team leads with no instructions and they've been up and running that day.

Cons

It'd be great if PagerDuty could integrate with all versions of Jira natively without a 3rd party plugin.

Pankaj from WordStream

Industry: Online Media

Great product, helps us a lot

As much as i hate to see a call from pagerduty, i know its doing its job. Its served the purpose well, its rare that we have to login and change settings since you can ack and resolve from phone, or slack. You could add snooze option to the slackbot, that would be awesome!

Pros

- The flow of events, mainly. How it goes from Triggered, to ACK, to resolved with snooze options, it feels natural. - Notification flow: How I can set up to notify my phone, wait two minutes before texting me, and wait five minutes before calling me. - Slack integration

Cons

- Configuration can use some redesign. Its hard to find some settings sometimes. I told a coworker about updating notifications, and it took them a while to figure out where they can do that. - Some important features are hidden behind a higher tier plan, eg: analytics.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

I am not sure. I was not involved in the decision process

James from Palmer College

The best option if you need to be alerted for when things go down

We were tired of paging everyone all the time on things going down or coming back up. Now it pages one person during business hours only. Also if the server comes back up it'll close the ticket for us and resolve the call. Our admins can now sleep at nights and not have to respond to every page with people trying to figure out who is handling the situation.

Pros

Most? There are so many features with pagerduty. I like it only alerts one person on call instead of the old way we use to page people. We use to page everyone on everything. Now it's just the person on call and he doesn't respond it goes to the next person. Very nice setup.

Cons

Scheduling times is a bit difficult for me to grasp, but once you figure it out you only have to set it up once.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

Pager duty was cheaper, had more functionality and could auto-resolve tickets with service now.

De Ville from Blue Robot

PagerDuty is the perfect solution for managing our production support team

PagerDuty gives us peace of mind. With PagerDuty it's great to know that the right person will be contacted as soon as a production incident is logged. Keeping track of who is on support is no longer a hassle. I can't imagine us managing production support without it, especially considering the fact that the team is spread across multiple continents. I can't recommend it enough!

Pros

- Great integration support - Mobile app works great and continues to get frequent updates - Flexible configuration options without being overly complicated - Allows us to easily manage our after-hours roster and schedules - Ability to create incident reports is a great time saver

Cons

- Pricing is a bit more than some competitors

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty is a more polished product and it meets our needs better.

Michael from Opus

Pager Duty - Proof you get what you pay for

We immediately handled the overflow of noise from Nagios, AppDynamics, Dotcom-Monitor, SCOM(from our dc provider) and were able to drop a cellular device using the centralized phone contact with Pager-Duty. We also were able to put our on-call schedule into PagerDuty to realize immediately who was on-call for what product, in what region. There was a very immediate value add realized from even just trialing PagerDuty.

Pros

I tried a competitor's product which was a free notification manager up to 11 people. It took me 3 days to get anywhere with a basic task of integrating 3 of our noisiest alerts. Then I tried the PagerDuty trial and got 2 of our noisiest alerts built out in 1 day. I added 3 more over the next 2 days to go well over the targeted mark. Coworkers were excited to help put time and effort into the system as opposed to the free tool which I couldn't seem to get any traction with. The alerts were immediately available, they were easy to get posting to my cell phone, and adding additional users was a cinch. The tool unfolds and becomes more useful the more time you put into it where some tools you struggle to get right and then you're afraid to make changes.

Cons

The UI is a bit quirky in the scheduler which is a pretty important view if you have a rotating on-call shift you're trying to tie down. There was a lot of "can't delete before you delete elsewhere" scenarios where there could have been a "will also delete these elsewhere, are you sure?" scenarios. What you gain in ease of use and stability in the mobile platform you lose in overall functionality, it is simple almost to a fault and while it seems silly there's no skinning of the mobile app to better suit your personality in a hyper-customized world. I'll know shortly if they're willing to go longer but they seem to be sticklers for the exact trial length + only a little. Corporations interested in putting in a full month long or longer trial that may need that amount of time to show value, create a SOW, and have a PO issued may be stuck in limbo for a few weeks.

Danny from IT

An Excellent Service for Orgs with complex alerting needs

PagerDuty has met all of our needs to-date. We reassess vendors regularly, and have yet to try someone else.

Pros

PagerDuty has an incredible featureset that spans just about every "on call" use case you could dream up. They highlight new use cases regularly in blog posts and Account Management is pretty solid.

Cons

Pricing is far higher than competitors which makes it a tough pill to swallow with annual billing. There's not much focus on controlling costs and very little leniency on things like prorating user seats if we have a new hire (it appears to be billed as a full month). With the highest price point in the industry, Account Managers usually have leniency to retain customers by avoiding these nickel-and-dime approaches to billing.

James from Didja

The standard in on-call notification

I have used pagerduty for years, and I have to say I use it as the gold standard for other notification services. So far, competitors either don't have nearly the same level of features, or cost a fortune.

Pros

Easy to set up. Inexpensive. Reliable. It has a number of integration options for various monitoring systems, and they are always adding more. They also have generic versioned APIs for any custom software you might bring to the table.

Cons

The Mobile app sometimes has issues refreshing when there is a lot of activity.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

Price, features, ease of integration, ease of use.

Tom from BridalLive

Helps me sleep at night

PagerDuty keeps my entire team in the loop when something goes wrong with our app. We couldn't deliver the level of service that we do without PagerDuty

Pros

I love that Pagerduty has integrations with all of the application monitoring tools that we use. If anything starts to act up, Pagerduty makes sure we are aware of it.

Cons

Nothing really. The pricing is fair, the reliability is flawless.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty is the defacto solution for application alerts. We know the product will do what we need it to do.

Soumya from Trainline

Does way more than what is on the box if people knows to use it.

Overall its been amazing and always a friend of operations team now spreading to development teams.

Pros

- Setting up override is 30 seconds task. - Reminder of when Im going on-call and my own notification settings is a life saviour. - Slack integration - Api integration - Postmortems made easier. - ITIL followed in the core in an automated fashion making incident management a cake walk.

Cons

- No way to export the schedule to excel. Only option is to do a calendar export. Which is not what a team lead or manager will want to do payroll. - Would be nicer to have billing based on number of schedules/services rather than number of users as we are in a devops world where all need to be able to login/resolve alerts. This forces teams to limit access taking them away from being "devops". - I am not a big fan of the schedule UI. It will be nicer to have days separated with lines on the rota. - In general the amount of invested on this tool is very minimal by a user, so it is worth simplifying schedules and services for people to understand it easier. The word service itself is misleading for the users.

Not the decision maker.

Sara from ATL Communications

Great for On-call

Great!

Pros

I like that we can easily resolve through the app.

Cons

I don't like that we can only have 3 users.

Looked easier

Raheel from Airbnb

PagerDuty review

Pros

Good customer support, documentation and API

Cons

Lack of filtering/search options. Not possible to search for specific alerts without the use of the API. It's a pain. No audit logs to see who made changes and what the changes are. Lack of features in the PagerDuty slack plug-in as compared to other alternatives such as OpsGenie

Chris from Member Solutions

Pager Duty

Helps monitor critical systems and alerting

Pros

The alerting, even when you turn the volume down on your phone if an alerts triggers the volume will get turned back up for that alarm

Cons

After a few years the price started to increase.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

We are actually switching from pagerduty to opsgenie because of cost.

Vedarth from Recruiterbox

Web application is seamless and we had to contact support for any kind of question.

Pros

Seamless workflow management, once the workflow is setup everything works just as expected. PagerDuty has many integrations which allows us to setup alerts just by choosing the application, which is a great thing for small teams where development costs are very high.

Cons

Cannot think of anything from my standpoint, we are a small team and PagerDuty has everything we need and it works as expected every single time.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty had more integrations and it was more suitable for our team. We wanted to spend less time in setting up the alerting system.

Adam from Articulate

PagerDuty is the defacto incident management software

Pros

PagerDuty takes the complication out of scheduling and lets us focus on keeping our services up and healthy. We set the schedule and forget about it.

Cons

The Terraform provider is very buggy. We often find we have to go through multiple rounds of guess and check to get Terraform config to match up with how we want it to end up in PagerDuty. I understand that Terraform is not the primary UX you are focused on but for Terraform power users managing many teams and services it is indispensable.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty was really the only game in town when we started with you, but we've looked at the alternatives based on price alone.

Danny from Twinspires.com

Excellent Product

Having PagerDuty set up to trigger alarms to will notify my team is truly priceless. Whether we are on duty, or in an On-Call scenario, PagerDuty is always around to let us know when things go wrong.

Pros

I love how reliable PagerDuty is. My company has PagerDuty implemented for not only our On-Call regiment, but also with alerting. Since we've been using PagerDuty, we've ALWAYS been notified of issues that we've created alerts for. Sure, it's not always fun to receive a call when On-Call, but we can always rely on PagerDuty to be functioning correctly to ensure we are informed in the most critical of moments. Keep up the good work!

Cons

No cons to report, honestly. Other than having a critical moment where PagerDuty is having to be utilized. However that is no fault of the PD Team!

Jo

Industry: Computer Networking

From 10,000 emails to one actionable alert: PagerDuty

I started trialling PagerDuty and other alert aggregation services after accidentally sending myself 10,000 emails. One thing PagerDuty does and does well, is cut through the noise, and helps you focus on the actionable issues. With integration with almost every alerting tool out there, including basic email - integrating a PagerDuty alert into your application or service is far too easy. The pricing is reasonable, and the phone and SMS alerting options work well, even in New Zealand. The PagerDuty app itself makes being on call so much easier, with simple acknowledgement and resolution actions, next to escalation and incident collaboration features. Having user controlled customisation, you can setup the alerting to suit your connectivity and support your sleep. After 6 years on call for a critical NZ wide system, I can say PagerDuty is refreshing change to the game. Don't hate the pager...

Pros

Simple setup and easy first alert. Comprehensive incident management, reporting and analytics to focus on what matters. Highly configurable alerting that is controllable by the recipient themselves. Easy escalation, resolution and communication features in mobile application and via the web. Well supported SMS and Phone alerting and incident management - Internationally Quick and easy support for the product - from a great PagerDuty team. Less noise, more actionable alerts with comprehensive de-duplication and alert filtering options.

Cons

PagerDuty is unforgiving of poorly written interfaces generating errors and despite ignoring ones' phone while in meetings, the alert will get to you, no matter what you are doing! While I love the 'PagerDuty' alerting and am amused by the 'Engineer Laughing' alert sound - having more options for custom, per incident, alert notification sounds in the Mobile app would be great.

Kristian from Auto Integrate

Powers our on-call engineers

Without PagerDuty we could not run our on-call rotation. The learning curve is pretty steep, but once you have things configured correctly its a fantastic tool

Pros

- Love the on-call rota, the ability to schedule overrides and multiple call out hierarchies - The wide range of alerts and abilities to interact with the product via multiple channels - Integrates with most tools natively, and there is always email alerts to fall back on - Ability to customize alerts based on email content

Cons

- The learning curve is pretty steep - Suffer from alert overload and the AI features are extra

Daiana from Rush Digital

Operations Platform which works

Pros

-multiple integrations with many tools. -easy to set up and use -mobile App -stable

Cons

Some of the integrations, at least at the moment, are not ways. Such as Zendesk and PagerDuty where you can only create incidents when a Zendesk case is created but not the other way around. The mobile App does not have all the features as the web platform.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

The ability of having primary and secondary rosters

Saurabh from Reddit

Functional, and reliable

Fairly good, minus top drawbacks. Mostly gets out of my way.

Pros

Extremely reliable, gets out of your way, lots of integrations

Cons

Confusing why there are schedules, teams, rotations etc. too much burden and it’s not simplistic to setup for first time use. Setting overrides and viewing on call schedule should be at the forefront. Should have out of office integration

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

It’s the industry standard really.

Narinder from Equinox Holding Inc

Pagerduty is Life Safer for DBA

Overall We are happy with this product from first day as it ease lot of manual intervention for any failure or critical alert which help us to maintain our SLA

Pros

Pagerduty is one of the premium product that provides the best oncall features for any organization which is looking less manual ways to manage the escalation, Pagerduty provides web interface along with Mobile app and integration with lot of API's (e.g Slack) which makes this product very useful for Infrastructure,DBA and Help Desk teams.

Cons

So far i don't see any noticeable short coming which need to be explored ,i have they will add more features in their mobile app along with little bit more stability as sometime their mobile app crashes on Andriod.

Ross from Squarespace

Hello from an SRE

PagerDuty is a service which allows my job to wake me up at 3am to be sad about malfunctioning computers. This means that PagerDuty is both something I rely on and low-key resent. It does its job well, and I yearn for the day when our stack is robust enough that I never have to remember PD exists ever again. ;-P

Pros

PagerDuty lets us centralize our notifications, with a good and reliable degree of user control over how pages are delivered. It integrates well with a vast panoply of other services. PD is reliable on iOS, Android, and via SMS and phone.

Cons

Managing calendars via the web UI is phenomenally hard, especially for modeling rotations of any complexity. For instance: we do a primary/secondary incident command rotation, in which the secondary handles day-time on-call and the primary handles off-hours. Currently, this requires us to model four different escalation policies, which would be horribly complex to manage *without* having teams in three time zones, which we do. We also suffer during outages for the lack of a "acknowledge all incoming pages" button. As an incident commander, when I'm trying to manage comms around incidents and system failures, having to *also* manage a pager going off every sixty seconds is, at best, horrendous. We badly need a "current status, open incident" that auto-acks whatever comes in and, say, converts them to summary push-notifications or some other "just an FYI, this other stuff happened" digest.

Philip from Compusearch

Good On Call Platform

Easy implementation, good support

Pros

Great two way communication with LogicMonitor. Only product we found that would stop the on call alert when the LogicMonitor alert cleared.

Cons

There is no way to notify a non licensed user when the on call schedule. We’d like to have our team DL emailed whenever an on call changes.

Better integration with LogicMonitor

Antoine from Blueberry Medical

Great functionality and features, Robotic interface/calling/messaging

Overall, Pagerduty was a great way for us to get started creating an alert system because it's easy of use and integrates. It works well and has little to no downtime and provides a ton of features and is really reliable. However, the UI is not intuitive and pretty and the alert system is robotic making it not "fun" to use. It is pricey overall if you don't intend to use all of its features.

Pros

The thing I like most about Pagerduty is how easy it is to set-up, get working, and consistently be reliable to send alerts at proper times. These things made it easy for us to integrate into our software using their API.

Cons

It is a bit pricey, especially if you don't plan on using all of the functionality and features that PagerDuty. For us, PagerDuty was overkill for the kind of alert/messaging system we were looking for so we were paying extra for these features we weren't using. Secondly, the alert/messaging system feels pretty robotic and is not very customizable. It feels like Pagerduty was built for engineers thought it could be used in other sectors.

Saurabh from Thoughtfocus Technologies

Excellent tool

We have been able to create escalation chains because of which we are not missing any alerts now. With the reporting feature, we are able to target are the most common issues and bring the count down.

Pros

As a 24x7 operations team, we heavily rely on Pagerduty to route alerts from a number of our monitoring systems to the right person in a shift. Pagerduty provides with API integrations with almost all major monitoring tools to make the setup really easy. We also use the reporting feature to do an incident review to look back on what were the alerts that happened over the week.

Cons

UI for creating schedules is not too user-friendly. Yet to explore all features but so far so good.

Simple, but powerful...

Our experience has been good, but it all depends on your implementation. If you don't plan your implementation and set your rules properly, you're going to have a bad time. Read through the implementation guides and best practices before you pull the trigger on making this product live.

Pros

PagerDuty makes it so easy to set up your paging rules and schedules as well as integrate it with your monitoring solution. We use it with What's Up Gold and it does a wonderful job of making sure that the right people are informed of an outage.

Cons

Sometimes if there are multiple alerts in a short amount of time, you can get overwhelmed with notifications and phone calls. I've been in the situation before where when being paged multiple times at once, I couldn't actually acknowledge the pages because my phone kept getting called over and over again for different alerts.

Brian from Virginia Tech

It is hard to beat PagerDuty for the functionality and itegration into alerting systems

On-call rotations are managed through PagerDuty and it allows each functional area to build their own escalation procedures. We are exploring the newly added teams and business process functionality of the software to improve collaborative efforts between teams.

Pros

Lots of Integrations with other tools and ways to integrate even without commercial integrations, with RESTful interfaces and email integrations.

Cons

Working with the software renewal and licensing aspects of the software has been challenging. There were some legal snafu's that made getting the agreement signed quite a chore.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

Generally PagerDuty had more Integration options with about the same functionality.

James from Just Eat Plc

Great but complex pricing and add-ons

Pros

PagerDuty has helped our business bring global teams onboard as we've completed several acquisitions this year. We've found onboarding to be easy and pain free.

Cons

The billing model and optional extras are both confusing and expensive. With over 500 users on our account, if I want just a select few to be "Super Admins" with access to the advanced analytics, I can't. I would need to upgrade all 500 users at a tremendous amount of money. I think PagerDuty need to do a better job at user segmentation and profiling, allowing upgrade and bolt-ons for selected users only.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

PagerDuty at the time seemed far more mature.

Sahil from Apartment List

One of those products that solves one key problem really well

Pros

Reliable. We rely on Pager Duty to keep our downtime to a minimum and we've never had complaints with it and PagerDuty itself always seems to up and alerting us in a timely manner. The alert channels are highly customizable and there are enough options to suit anyone's communication style. On top of this, they keep innovating without disrupting the core functionality.

Cons

I would like to see more breakdowns and slices in metrics and charts by service, alert type, alert source, etc.

Trevor from Conde Nast

PagerDuty keeps my team on point

PagerDuty has been instrumental in notifying my team when problems arise.

Pros

Integration with monitoring software is extremely powerful. My team integrates PagerDuty into Slack which increases the visibility for the times other team members are not on call. The ability to auto-resolve issues on PagerDuty when the monitors become healthy increases my productivity (especially when I want to go back to sleep, haha!).

Cons

PagerDuty cannot penetrate do not disturb mode on my iPhone. This means I have to turn off other notifications on my phone when I sleep. A minor annoyance for an otherwise great product.

Jeffrey from Buyseasons Enterprises LLC

Great solution - Been using it for years!

Very reliable (too reliable sometimes) and easy to configure.

Pros

Very reliable (too reliable sometimes) and easy to configure. Integrations to large monitoring solutions make it a breeze to setup with other solutions. Mobile app makes responding to alerts even easier than pushing buttons on a phone call.

Cons

Wish there were ways to specify certain alerts would only be a text message while others are a phone call per user. Would also like a way to remove users from all schedules at once when needing to remove a user from the portal. Very tedious process of removing them from each schedule individually.

Yotam from Taboola

Review about PagerDuty, from a user standpoint

Over all as I said it does the job. Minor UI improvements will help to make it more convenient.

Pros

First of all, PD does the job. It means that my company can customize it as they wish, and I get alerts efficiently using email, SMS and phone calls (and the app). The alerts are effective and the needed information is found inside the incident body. It is not trivial to have a system that works in large scale as it does in Taboola.

Cons

There are some end-user UI issues I would like to raise: 1. It is too easy for me to see others' incidents. I do not want to see it - it's confusing. Once I actually closed an incident of another person, mistakenly. Yes it was my mistake and perhaps my IT department's configuration mistake, but the UI shows me these incidents. I am only interested in mine. 2. In "alerts" I see many alerts which are not mine! again you are loading me with details not relevant for me. 3. In "indicents" in the website, I put on "any status" but I don't see closed incidents. 4. The smartphone app is great, very focused to what I need. Why not add the option to add a calendar entry for PD on-call shifts?

Drew from HURON

PagerDuty

The software and infrastructure that we support are mission critical to our clients. We need to be able to detect and alert our urgent response team as soon as we have an issue. PagerDuty has given us the flexibility to provide that high level of support and is flexible to meet our needs in terms of rotations and routing of issues.

Pros

I love how easy PagerDuty is to configure and it's flexibility to support a number of escalations, services, and rotations. We've used PagerDuty for quite some time now and although no one loves to receive an alert it has revolutionized our ability to provide 24/7 support to our clients. The email and API integrations allow us to customize when we receive alerts and who they are routed to. Working smarter, not harder.

Cons

N/A - For real, I really like this software

Alex from Nordstrom

great way to allow teams to self manage their notifications

easy to onboard, flexible to use. simple but does what its supposed to do and does it well!

Pros

teams can manage their own schedules, including flexible overrides when they need someone else to cover. lot of notification/escalation options, and for each user they can specify how they prefer to be communicated with.

Cons

adding users to an existing schedule can cause unexpected issues if you are not careful. also I sure wish that pagerduty app was able to override do not disturb settings on my phone, would love to be able to disable calls and other notifications but still get my PD alerts when I go to bed!

PagerDuty review

We have been using PagerDuty for more than 6 years. It is a great product in terms of availability of integration, timely alerts, mobile version, ability to select your teams info only, scheduling, and setting up services.

Pros

PagerDuty helps in everyday business by providing fast and accurate notifications and alerts for live systems. It has integrations with Slack and email, which helps a lot in notification and resolving incidents collaboratively. The mobile version is a great help as well.

Cons

PagerDuty mobile version lucks some essential features that are available on a full version, like scheduling a maintenance window.

PagerDuty make it feel more like a pleasure than a Duty

Surprisingly easy to setup rotating schedules, schedule maintenance window exceptions, and have alerts triggered from many sources including email. No one on call can say they didn't hear their phone anymore.. you will be phones, emailed and SMS messaged.. and it will loop until you (or someone else on rotation) knowledges the issue.

Pros

Easy to setup. Trigger alerts via emails. Good interface. Integrates easily with MS Teams. Rotating schedules for multiple team members. Easy to make schedule exceptions. Easy to acknowledge alerts via email, phone, app or SMS.

Cons

I can't really think of any Cons. I really enjoyed getting this setup and benefiting from the easy alerts.

Reasons for Choosing PagerDuty

Easier and more intuitive to configure. However - now that we have JIRA - I may have selected OpsGenie just for the 'all in one' type features.

Stuart from WBGames

It’s great

Pros

Ease of alerting and notifications. Very easy to use.

Cons

The roles was not very granular initially.

Kevin from SpringAhead

Solid solution for on call devops

Pros

Pager Duty overall is a great solution for handling on call escalations for server and environment issues. It makes it easy to integrate with third part solutions to generate actionable alerts for on call engineers. If you are using a product that doesn't natively integrate with Pager Duty (which is rare), you can use their email integration to submit issues that way.

Cons

The interface for adjusting the on call schedule could be improved - when updating a schedule to cover an engineer while they are on vacation, it can be really confusing to setup.

Imran from Saba

Positive Experience

Its been great the OOH team knows they wont be woken up for stuff not related to the and we see accurate data. We can manage rotas and shifts much better and its overall improved the perception of the team and their ability out of hours.

Pros

The ability to to have the information displayed and on the go with the App is great for us as we can engage with stakeholders and its bought in consistency for out out of hours team on alerting.

Patrick from Symantec

Bring all your monitoring tools together

We have been able to roll out this tool to our team as well as others that we work along side. It has made it much easier to communicate alerts that are received. It has also significantly lowered the amount of noisy alerts that we receive as well as assist us in not missing alerts when we are not at our desks. A very convenient tool to have.

Pros

This tool makes monitoring so much easier by bringing everything into one place. Easy to use, easy to set up, and already integrated into a lot of existing tools. Notification preferences, and schedules, and escalation policies make life SO much better!

Cons

The terminology is a little hard to wrap your head around. Has elements that are dependent on others and makes it hard to clean up after you have already set it up.

Stephen from Health Catalyst

Necessary for Any Cross Functional Team with Incident Response Duties

It has been a great tool for alert and incident management. Easy to setup and flexible. As this has expanded to more teams, it has scaled well. Reliability is a must and it has proven to be very reliable.

Pros

Flexibility in paging options Integration with other systems Flexible schedules Scales well as company grows

Cons

Some menus are confusing and options are sometimes hard to find. Needs more integration points for third party software. Manual escalations to other teams not very clear. Wish all paging numbers were well known in order to add to phone contact list.

Easy to setup and go live almost after a purchase of license

As we are an online business, it's very critical to know if the site is down at the exact time and the team can immediately investigate the issue.

Pros

Easy to go live and setup. As soon as the account is set up, the configuration of services was really easy to setup. We've integrated PagerDuty with our existing Dynatrace platform, and the monitoring and alerts are very accurate.

Cons

As this a user-based subscription, we're quite limited to make a group or shared account. It'd be great if there's flexibility in having more users to the account.

Barnaby from Sky Betting & Gaming

Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Does What It Says On The Tin, And Very Well

We use PagerDuty for our on call rota. It was my first experience of such software and I would recommend it to others for its list of features and general ease of use.

Pros

Schedules and rotas are easy to set up and administer. Call outs are easy to receive and acknowledge. The app makes it easy to respond to an incident.

Cons

The app is a little limited. If a user gets a lot of callouts (e.g. multiple services go down) then I don't know of a "select all" option to ACK. Also I believe that users must go into the web version to administer rotas etc...

Nizam

April 2015

Want to receive less complaints from management about response time?

Need a pay rise? Get PagerDuty! OK, subscribing to PagerDuty does not guarantee you a pay rise, but it will definitely lessen the number of complaints from your bosses in regards to the response time to server downtime. However, this may lead to a neat pay rise when your bosses realized that you are getting more efficient in resolving the downtime. Not only will PagerDuty alert you of server downtime, but it will literally alert you of any incidents that you may or have encountered (e.g email from clients, email from data centers, servers reaching a certain threshold, etc). Another feature that it has is that it can integrate with most of the tech sites out there (AWS, HipChat, Pingdom, etc). For Pingdom, instead of having Pingdom alerting us for every downtime, we just integrate it with PagerDuty. PagerDuty IS our focal point of alert for all our monitoring systems. With the scheduling feature, your team will be able to monitor the servers' health 365/24/7. With PagerDuty, our response time had improved tremendously and this leads to a decrease in potential revenue loss. We had tried its competitors out there (shan't name them), but nothing come close to PagerDuty. The only drawback is its pricing. However, the quality and service (and don't forget the potential thousands that it can save you) provided by PagerDuty is second to none. Highly recommended for businesses that depends on 24/7 servers uptime and definitely for business that provides 24/7 support.

Pros

1) Alerts for all kinds of incidents 2) Integration with most of the common and popular monitoring and tech sites 3) Easy-to-use scheduler

Cons

Pricing (its value over cost depends on the potential revenue loss for your business)

Andre from Malware Patrol

PagerDuty is peace of mind for our business

We monitor all our servers and services to make sure we provide uniterrupted 24x7 access to customers. If something goes wrong, our team is immediately alerted and takes action to resolve the issue. Simply works and we are very satisfied.

Pros

Once monitoring is set up, PagerDuty is peace of mind that our systems are up and running. Something goes wrong, we are alerted right away to take action. The app is what we use the most, specially off hours.

Cons

I don't know any conns to be honest. We use it for years and it simply works.

Filip from Castle Intelligence

Making sure you're up in the middle of the night

Pros

While not super easy to setup, it's generally a one time things. Once you've configured PagerDuty you're free to explore all the integrations available. We use it connected to our AWS monitoring, DataDog, Rollbar and bunch of custom integrations. PagerDuty also helped us reduce to amount of alerts - it's easy to go to far, and being woken up in the middle of the night for something completely irrelevant helps you make better decisions about platform monitoring.

Cons

Not all the escalation rules are clear. Editing schedules could be easier - if you do that on a one-off basis it's usually by trial and error.