What are SolarWinds Service Desk users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using SolarWinds Service Desk software through verified user reviews

• icon"The integration between service and asset management is seamless and easy. The pricing is very reasonable for the benefit that we receive."
  • icon"I really appreciate the ability to organize columns in my ticket queue according to my preferences."
  • icon"The program expedites the process, makes it smooth and efficient. Really great value for the money."
  • icon"Sometimes the agent will report software that no longer exists on the device. This can cause some inaccuracies."
  • icon"No option to automatically change a ticket’s status when an agent responds. Complicated groups and permissions."
  • icon"I haven't really found anything I dislike. Our previous solution was that bad."

Browse all SolarWinds Service Desk Reviews

• Have you used SolarWinds Service Desk and would like to share your experience with others?

Hossam

Hossam's SolarWinds Service Desk Review

My overall experience with SolarWinds is very positive, although we have switched to another system due to budget issues, yet i still prefer it.

Pros

SolarWinds Service Desk is easy to use & what i like most about it is its dashboard customization feature, as i can be able to monitor my team's ticket status all day long, without having to look into the tickets of other teams, and being SolarWinds, it gives me the ability to view it in appealing charts, and reporting & notification is well maintained.

Cons

The least i like about it is its cost in relative to other ticketing systems in the market.

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

Because we are already using SolarWinds Network monitoring tools, so it makes life easier to use the products of the same vendor in terms of integration & ease of use.

Patrick

Industry: Biotechnology

Samanage is an easy to use solution that makes my life so much easier

We are in the pharmaceutical industry and have implemented samanage over 2 years ago. The system is perfect and easy to use which enables users to understand the problem and submit tickets!

Pros

The ease of use. The system allows the natural flow of tickets into problems, problems into changes and the audit trail is perfect for our validation/qa friends. We love that the API is easy to intergrate and have pulled in our sharepoint system with the API to automate tasks like account creation/separation.

Cons

The system could uses a few tweaks but I think this is just growing pains. The Samanage team has been straightforward with what they are implementing and changes are being released consistently. Over the past two years of having the system, I can say the updates are wonderful and truly address issues. Not purely cosmetic.

Asim

Excellent ITSM tool

Solarwind Service Desk has met all of our requirements. It is easy to use and follows ITIL best practises.

Pros

Ease of use and customisation. Customer services

Cons

Reporting is limited. Even customisation in reporting is limited

Price, Ease of use and customisation, Customer services

Reasons for switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

Price and lack of ITIL support

March 2022

Wish it was my daily driver...

Overall I enjoyed using this a great deal and wish we could move over to this from our current helpdesk solution. The connection time for our current software is absurd, having an external program needed just to remote in is a joke, and Kaseya goes down very...VERY often. This seems like the bar is set pretty low for SolarWinds to succeed, but I'd like to give credit where it's due. Web-based solutions for programs is truly the future in my opinion and SolarWinds is right inline with that. You can basically do everything from the web browser which means less for us to set up or maintain (and doesn't bug you about program updates all the time). I mean it when I say I'd love to move to SolarWinds.

Pros

To give some background, we took on IT services for a smaller company that was getting absorbed by us. While a lot of the IT foundations laid down were pretty flimsy or problematic, one thing stuck out as very well done. They were using Solarwinds for I.T. support and it was definitely a sigh of relief amongst the other mismanagement from before. Everything such as device enrollment was pretty simple, the feature set for online client management was well-stocked, and my favorite was the ability to remote in without needing an external program to do so. We currently use Kaseya and it's just hot garbage, I sincerely wish we could move over to Solarwinds for our main company's IT helpdesk tools.

Cons

While there is a lot to like about this, some of the UI felt a little "cramped" from time to time. The feature set was nice, but what I was looking for was sometimes a tiny little button on a small option bar. Perhaps some buttons or icons of size would help streamline things, as this can also make training others more difficult, since the task options are easy to miss.

Good Out-Of-Box product for small, scalable team

We were attempting to solve the issue of ticket management in the IT department. While it was a great out-of-the-box solution, it didn't offer the unique scalability we needed and the customer service wasn't helpful in growing the product with our needs. However, I still believe that, for a small shop, this product offers the best value for the price and is a great entry-level solution.

Pros

I like that, out-of-the-box, Samanage offers great core functionality with a stable product that ties neatly into a beautiful UI for the end users. The UI is where Samanage really knocks it out of the park though. It's modern, simplistic, "forum" layout is attractive and intuitive, and chat indicators on the tickets feels like your moving from a traditional email reply into a IM chat.

Cons

There's a lot to be desired when it comes to the fine details of the service. There are specific customization options for project management and ticket automation that aren't available that we wanted in our shop. When we reached out to our support member to discuss a possible addition/fix. They advised us to post our suggestion on their feedback board and if it received enough votes they would implement it. The same suggestion was found submitted over a year ago on the board (with over 300+ votes) yet no action was taken. I was hoping for a more, collaborative answer, instead of posting on a forum board in hopes that other members validate my need for them to implement it.

Eromonsele

March 2022

Great Service desk tool

Well, it was a good value for money.

Pros

It is easy to use and implement, manage and upgrade.

Cons

Well, customer service was not easy to reach

Cost

Don

Industry: Restaurants

CHG Review

Overall experience was great! Definitely like better than service now and also works well with solarwinds network monitoring.

Pros

Ticket management is easy to use Asset management works well Ticket assignment function works well Helpdesk monitoring is a great tool

Cons

A little cumbersome to set up, but once completed works great! Had some difficulty adding custom fields.

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

Easier to use for helpdesk team

Needed more functionality

Matthaniel

Industry: Restaurants

Great Product for Helpdesk, Task Management and Software Inventory

Pros

This solution is great for tracking incidents, solutions, problems, etc for company IT departments. It provides an easy to use interface that allows for easy creation of FAQs and a Solutions Database.

Cons

There are some things bulk items that cannot be imported without the use of the API, which is a tiny bit annoying, and some of their python and Ruby API sample code is out of date or no longer maintained.

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

It seemed to have a more in-depth product that gave us the detail that we needed and the integration that made our lives a little easier.

Brett

Great Cloud Service with Many Features, Expensive for the Full Version

Incident, problem, and change management are all extremely easy to set up and begin using due to the cloud-hosted nature of the product. As it is fully web-based, low-level training is not required for techs or users.

Pros

Easy to deploy as it is a cloud-based system. Initial setup requires low effort and detail. Branding is easy to apply, functionality is easy to test out of the gate.

Cons

Information on asset discovery, connections, and scanners feels lacking. Connecting to SCCM via the database has very little information, and after a month of attempts, it is not functional. Support has been a bit slow on response when inquiring regarding this issue, even after purchase.

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

Functionality, especially with knowledge base management and self-service portal, is much better. The integrations with other systems promised also allows for much more expansion possibilities in the future.

Reasons for switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

The previous system was not set up or deployed correctly or completely within our company.

Practically Perfect in Every Way

Pros

It has a clean, easy to use, and intuitive interface. We have only scratched the surface of what it can do.

Cons

I haven't really found anything I dislike. Our previous solution was that bad.

Reasons for switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

Cherwell was not meeting our needs as a product. It was bloated and outdated. It was hard to use. This is a much better product.

Kristin

April 2022

Task Management

Overall an excellent tool for keeping up with projects! You get real-time notifications on all task updates.

Pros

I love that we can track time, open rates, add project and task users (for feedback) and attach files. This is an essential tool for my job.

Cons

Sometimes the task setup is confusing for submitting new tickets. There is a lot of setup needed in the backend that the average user won't know or see so that has to be handled by someone or taught.

Athena

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

SWSD Gives my team room to breath

Very happy and know i made the best decision purchasing this tool for our organization.

Pros

Great inventory management, change management, SLA support, Contract management, infrastructure monitoring etc.

Cons

Data entry updates have to be done using a CSV file

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

We did not have to purchase any additional add ons to accomplish the services we need to support.

Reasons for switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

Needed a more robust product to support our environment

Tiffany

Industry: Food Production

May 2022

User friendly

Pros

I used it to deal with some technical issues I was having ie,IT and the customer service Is wonderful and super helpful great support and user friendly site!!!!

Cons

There wasn't anything I can even think of negative to say about this software it's great

Krishna

May 2022

It is simple to implement, administer, and update

In my opinion, web-based program solutions are the way of the future, and SolarWinds is right there with them. I truly mean it when I say I'd want to switch to SolarWinds because of the ease with which everything can be done from a web browser.

Pros

I like that we can measure time, open rates, add project and task users, and connect files to our projects and tasks. This is a must-have for me in my current position. It's a great way to stay on top of tasks. All task updates are sent to you in real time. Support and asset management use cases are at the bleeding edge of this technology here. An good solution that meets the majority of ITSM criteria is available.

Cons

The task arrangement for submitting new tickets might be a little complicated at times. Most users won't be able to see or realize how much backend setup is required, thus someone has to do it or teach them.

Reasons for switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

My favorite feature of SolarWinds Service Desk is the dashboard customization option, which allows me to keep track of the ticket status of my team all day long without having to sift through the tickets of other teams. SolarWinds also allows me to view the data in visually appealing charts and maintains reporting and notification.

Good Product for ITIL Best practices

I am the administrator of the application in my Managed Information Services department. I selected this product, deployed this product and administer this product and the setup and use of the product is intuitive and easy to master quickly.

Pros

The ease of creating automated workflows makes the product easy to use and creates efficiencies by automating mundane manual processes. Having the ability to work, escalate and integrate tickets all from a single pane of glass is also a good feature

Cons

Reporting is a downfall for a majority of apps these days. While some of this is mitigated through the ability to filter and export list results, more functionality in reporting is needed.

ManageEngine ServiceDesk Plus

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

cloud based and better user interface.

FootPrints

Cost, and functionality issues

Dillon

Industry: Environmental Services

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Huge Upgrade

Overall experience with this product have been great so far. Our employees use this platform more than our last and they have also been able to find their own solutions more. I really love the support from the customer support a lot. The support is always right on top of any issues and I have experience very quick responses when I do need to contact them. A+ on customer support.

Pros

I like how easy the GUI is, editing the categories and assigning the ticket to a support tech is all very simple right from the first view. I also like how there is a quick view option where you can view the ticket without having to leave the screen.

Cons

We have an issue with Tasks. They cannot be changed once a service catalog item is ran which has made us have to create work around or create extra tickets in order for multiple people to work on one catalog item.

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

Cost to features were a big plus. We got everything out of the box with Service Desk that we need currently.

Reasons for switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

We needed a friendlier GUI with more User integration.

Jean-Louis

Enterprise Quality at a reasonable implementation cost.

Great ITSM alternative to the big guys, with all the same features, without the price tag. They offer a full feature trial and will help you with a PoC. Great value, positive ROI and superior TOC. Have a look at this one!

Pros

This tool is a hidden gem. Compared to it's peers in the ITSM space, SAmanage has all the features you would expect from an Enterprise ITSM without the Enterprise price tag. It's cloud based SAAS model saves you from the hassles of onprem setups, and if you are global it just works for all your users. The feature set is rich, I recommend you do a Proof of Concept (POC) with them to gain an appreciation of everything the product gives you. The on-boarding process was very well orchestrated, they guide your team through the whole implementation via a Trello board. Everything is spelled out for you, there is little risk here. Truly an Enterprise Grade Product at a reasonable SMB Total Cost of Ownership (or Subscription-ship). Worth having a look.

Cons

The product does not hit the radar in terms of "Known" go to ITSMs. So this left us to do more research and vetting with their existing clients. Also, because they are lean on price, they do not spend a lot of time "Wining and Dinning" you, and this gave us the false impression of the organization being small. They are not small as we found out in the implementation phase. They are a true SAAS so they don't have travelling sales people with territory in the traditional sense, again it gave us the wrong impression of their sophistication. Some of the features compared to the expensive ITSM packages are not as robust, but for the prices difference we can accept those as is. They meet our needs as is. I do recommend you do a PoC with them to gain a full appreciation for what they do offer and where some of their simplicity map-out for your needs.

Ronald

Industry: Civil Engineering

Great platform for asset management and trouble ticket

The pricing is based upon the number of users in our network that will be accessing the system, and the number of "Managers" running the system. The salesman were very helpful in providing a great offer on the cost and have kept that pricing concept since we started. As you are starting out with basically a "Blank Page" it can seem a little overwhelming at first setting everything up to get that final functional asset management and help desk system you envision. However, there are plenty of examples and their help & support is very responsive. To me, this "Blank Page" is one of the positive aspects of the system. Basically, with some limitations, if I can imagine it, I can build it with what they have provided. This is true if you keep in mind what the original system was designed for in the first place. (The point here is simply: you would be surprised what kind of things people have asked the system to do... way beyond the scope of its design...) It easily integrates with Active Directory (AD based on Windows 2003 is no longer supported as of this writing) and has a robust permissions setup, allowing you to allow and deny users any number of "Roles" that are pre-configured or that you create as needed. The easy deployment of the agent combined with the cloud based setup allows the system to work well with users and machines working both in the corporate network, as well as outside of it in satellite offices. The "Trouble Ticketing" interface can be customized and is easy to understand and navigate. Background elements include the ability to track tickets, warn administrators of tickets that have received no response, cluster common tickets to users and machines for trend and trouble tracking, and provides what I call "Live Response", where you can see who is looking at a specific ticket or item and see their notations instantly. Probably the most impressive portion of the system is that part that most users will never see: The asset management system. Once the agent has been installed and is communicating, the amount of information provided is overwhelming at first, and yet still organized and categorized. There is even a built in tool allowing the system to know when a computers warranty is up. My reason for not giving 5 stars across the board: The system sometimes has issues tracking software as the "Suite" it is licensed under. This is not necessarily and issue with this system as it is in how it is sold.

Pros

Flexibility The "Sand Box" approach. Support. Cost effective

Cons

Printers are auto-populated, not based upon where the printer is installed from and shared from, but by every single shared instance of that printer. As a result, a single printer in an office of 200 users all sharing the same printer will show an inventory of 201 printers. Software suites, like Autodesk "Building Design Suite Premium" are sold and licensed as a single unit, even though it is a collection of some 2 dozen programs and plugins. Samanage does not have the ability automatically, to track and manage this; it shows them as a bunch of separate programs. There is a way to cheat the system and make this work, but it is a manual step that requires a bit of work to setup and manage. It's getting better, but the agents do not always refresh as quickly as I would like.

SolarWinds Service Desk - Great Serve desk that meets the ITSM needs

We've been using Solarwinds Service Desk for a few years now, and I highly suggest it. It provides cutting-edge support and asset management use cases. It is an excellent solution that satisfies the most, if not all, of the ITSM requirements, such as incident and issues management, changes and release management, and asset management.

Pros

1. Solarwinds provides an excellent Incident Management experience. Agents can prioritize events and add custom fields for improved reporting and analysis. 2. It includes remote control software (Dameware), which enables support personnel to quickly enter into clients' computers and provide remote assistance. 3. It is also beneficial for asset management. Organizations may maintain track of all assets, including their location and status. 4. It is quite simple to open a support ticket. Its connection with email makes things a lot easier. 5. It also provides a Customer Satisfaction survey (which is issued automatically) to assess the level of service provided. 6. It is also cloud-based, allowing users to join in from anywhere and give help.

Cons

1. The user interface could definitely benefit from some enhancements to make it easier to navigate. 2. The Search functionality is not properly optimized and frequently produces irrelevant results. 3. To create more user-friendly reports, the reporting may be upgraded with a much better UI. 4. The notification system may be improved to allow desktop pop-ups. 5. The mobile app frequently hangs.

Industry: Oil & Energy

Outstanding!

We needed a solution, and we needed one fast. We had test driven many, but something didn't feel right. Two things made us choose Samanage. The software had every feature we were looking for, and the people were excellent. From the beginning, we were treated like VIP's. We were given professional courtesy, we were given kindness and flexibility, we were shown appreciation, and we were given everything we needed to stand up the ticketing system in our environment. The staff, made us all feel like we were part of their family and we can't thank them enough. The demos were terrific, the trial was awesome, the sale itself went smooth, the implementation was perfect (including the SSO option), the support was phenomenal and the Go-Live went off without a hitch. This was just one of the best end to end experiences I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. The Samanage team are just a bunch of really cool professionals that truly care about their customers. Every call was a pleasure, and they taught us how everything worked. We have had nothing but excellent support, and we are happily enjoying all the features and functionality as we use it daily. I have personally thanked them over the phone, and in email messages, but I still can't thank them enough. We were on a hard deadline to get everything working in a very short time. The Samanage team delivered on time, and within budget. We couldn't be happier. Thank you, Samanage Team! You ROCK!!!!!! :)

Pros

Ease of use, very intuitive. As described in the demos. Evertyhing worked as expected.

Cons

It doesn't know how to make me coffee in the morning, but other than that, it's hard not to like something that makes your life easier.

Saranjit

Solarwinds Great Ticketing system

Pros

Ease of use Able to create custom Workflows Ability to build custom reports

Cons

Procurement module can use some improvement but does what it's intended to do.

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

Cost suited our business need. Support structure is much better than competitors. Ability to create custom catalog items with ease.

Scott

Great little ITSM

They have been a great partner to work with bending over backwards to accommodate us in our mergers and acquisitions as we consolidated tenants and imported and exported data. They listened to our feedback and incorporated some of our ideas into their final product as well. They are a company that will work with you to get the job done the way you need it done.

Pros

This is a great ITSM. We have been with them for many years and have watched them grow. They have a lot of the features of the big name systems but without the high cost. If you are looking for an ITSM that will get the job done here it is. While it does not have all the expanded features of some of the big systems it has asset management, change management, incident management and a service catalog which is all you really need to get started. Plus they have integrations with other platforms like slack for interating with your tickets. Overall a good choice for an ITSM

Cons

The only drawback would be that they are a young company and they do not have all of the in depth features of some of the big ITSM's like Servie-now and others. But then again do you really need all that complexity?

Jada

A Great product with even greater potential

Overall, we have had a generally positive experience with Service Desk, we would just like to see them mature out more of their features

Pros

A few of the things that I like most about Service Desk is the ease of learning to use it. I was able to go from one ticket management system to this one in a single day of training and have had almost no issues in terms of knowledge gaps. Their customer support is top tier and their change management workflow is one of the best I've seen.

Cons

Reporting. By that I mean the lack of reports and reporting tools. It would be nice to be able to build out our own or create our own reports. A BI tool in this application would really put it over the top.

Spiceworks

Reasons for choosing SolarWinds Service Desk

Cost, product quality and customer support

Amazing internal and external customer service portal

Asset management, asset auditing, help desk ticketing system.

Pros

Amazing help desk ticketing system, it integrates with our two email inboxes for internal and external support. Our internal employees use one address while our external clients use the other. Everything goes into the same queue and are labeled and categorized appropriately. When we comment and attach documents on a ticket via Samanage, the requester gets a nicely formatted (and extremely customizeable) email with the details. The other great thing is the asset management software, you install the agent on any company computer/phone and it gives you an immense amount of information and auditing capabilities. It will literally tell you the manufacturer and serial number of monitors plugged in (even the laptop LCD screen!) Also, support is great! You can chat with someone whenever you want and they're very good about either answering right away, or researching the issue and following up later.

Cons

It costs a decent amount, and depending on how many administrators you have the costs can jump up. But I will say it's well worth it for all the features you get.

Todd

Time used: Free Trial

April 2016

Strong service desk software with a lot of potential

Benefits: 1. Its easy to use and looks nice. Staff have required very little training, despite not having a centralized system. 2. Its pretty flexible. It's able to do about 90% of what we want it to do. 3. Support is active and engaged. Their community website has a lot of activity, both from others using the product as well as comments from Samanage's support. 4. Its actively developed. Recently Samanage unveiled their Labs feature, which allows areas to enable or disable new features to test out their functionality prior to implementation. 5. Reliability. Being a cloud service, you need it to be available and accessible. We've only had one minor outage during our time with Samange, and that was resolved quickly. They also provide great visibility into their uptime through a website, http://status.samanage.com Problems: 1. Filtering. Filters for incidents need additional work to become more robust. Currently, each new filter type acts as an AND filter, while multiple of the same type of filter act as OR filters. In some cases, you can't achieve the type of filter required at all. 2. Reporting. While the built-in reporting looks nice and has some decent out-of-the-box reports, it's not at the level of sophistication most organizations really need to get their full value out of this product and the data it has. For instance, there is no query builder or ad-hoc reporting, so you're limited to what you see. 3. Groups and Roles. Groups are treated like individuals, so if you report on a group's incidents and one of the members in that group has an incident, you won't see it, which is challenging. Roles are pretty robust, but a person can only belong to one role. If you have exceptions for individuals, you basically need to create a special role for each one of those cases which won't scale for large organizations. 4. SLA's and automation. The current SLA implementation is restrictive and cumbersome. And that's pretty much the only way to provide any sort of automation to routing, closing, etc. for incidents. 5. Slow feature development. Samanage has done an excellent job of rolling out various features throughout the year. However, there are some long-standing feature requests that have been in development for years and executing on them has been slow. While the above issues are a concern, I have faith they'll be addressed and result in a stronger product in the long run.

SolarWinds Service Desk