• Pros

• "This is a great helpdesk product for free! I tried other free solutions but none were as complete as this. I highly recommend to all those on a budget"

• "Love this company and all of their products. This suite provides everything needed for successfully managing helpdesk at little to no cost."

• "Feature Set is amazing - there are plugins to do things if you want to do more than is built in but the built in is plent for us. Price is right (free) and it works amazingly well!"

• Cons

• "There isn't a lot of features, and while the plug-ins work very well and there are many of them, there aren't any being made recently."

• "It was a little difficult to navigate through the program but once you get used to it you will be fine."

• "Minimal out of the box features means it's quick to set up and use, but it takes more effort to customize. "

Browse Spiceworks Reviews

Jesica from Phoenix Packaging Group

Spiceworks will answer all your questions

Spiceworks suggests free solutions so, it would be stupidмн not to recommend you this amazing software. It is an easy platform and, believe me, you won’t have any problem to use it. I should also mention that it well suits to small companies but larger companies should probably search for another solution.

Pros

There is one feature of Spiceworks which I appreciate the most. It gives you the opportunity to check your network and find out what devices are connected to it. This means that it provides a lot of information about those devices such as their IP addresses. Another advantage of this platform is that it is completely free. If we compare the quality of work of Spiceworks with other platforms, it will become obvious that this help desk can do freely more than other expensive platforms. I think it is hard to find a person who knows everything about his profession or field of work. From time to time everyone needs to look for some help or extra information. In these cases you should at least know where you can find the required information. People engaged with information technologies already know that Spiceworks is their best solution. You can find the answers to your questions in the forums or you can type your question and get feedback.

Cons

The first issue I should mention is the app itself. As for the mobile app, it is heavily text-based, it would be nice to see more graphics there. In addition, I would like to see one app which shows the community and the form together. Unfortunately, there is a lot of commercial which can be annoying but on the other hand, it is understandable: the platform is free and it depends on ads to get some income. I wish it could be easier to work with tickets and especially the deleting function.

john from CompKickers

Industry: Computer Networking

SpiceWorks Cloud IT helpdesk for free!

Spiceworks IT Helpdesk Cloud version does everything I want from a cloud based Ticketing system so even though its lacking some features which I hope will get added soon as ive mentioned earlier it does do everything you would expect from a basic IT Support helpdesk ticketing system. So if your looking for a free IT helpdesk solution I would really try out Spiceworks offering and also take a look at there cloud hosted version which I use myself.

Pros

Spiceworks ive used the community for years now so when I found there IT Helpdesk I started to use it but I then stopped for a while until there cloud IT Helpdesk came out which for me works best as I dont need to worry about hosting anywhere. So now I have a great IT helpdesk for my clients to log tickets with all for free!

Cons

The only Con to Spiceworks IT Helpdesk was that I was initially released as a windows installer which didnt really work for my business as I dont have my own servers, it wasnt until the Cloud IT helpdesk version came out that I then started to use Spiceworks IT helpdesk again as my client IT helpdesk solution. Its also lacking some features you would see in premium solutions but it does the basics and works for my IT Consultancy business.

Reasons for Choosing Spiceworks

I originally tried the installable Spiceworks IT Helpdesk so I knew what it was capable of but I moved away from it to Freshdesk as it was cloud based. So as soon as the Spiceworks IT Helpdesk cloud version came out I moved straight back to Spiceworks as it works well with Spiceworks other tools and has lots of plugins available which does expand what the helpdesk can do.

Steven from Davidson Academy

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Spiceworks Helpdesk Cloud - Small Enterprise

We have been able to improve our response time to user issues by appropriately configuring ticket categories, assignment rules. The number of walk-ups to the help desk has been cut by more than 50%, which has permitted our IT support staff to be able to manage their time more efficiently. Our TTR has improved, as well as the level of customer satisfaction within our organization

Pros

This application is extremely easy to set up and configure. It can be configured as an on-premise application or in the cloud. Administration is managed through a dashboard which permits administrators to manage roles for support personnel to whom tickets will be assigned. Tickets can be automatically assigned to individuals or teams based on configurable categories and ticket rules. There are standard data entry fields included and the administrator can add additional fields as needed. For example, during the Coronavirus pandemic, with everyone working from home, we added a mandatory phone number data entry field to our ticket layout. Data entry fields can be made mandatory if desired. When a ticket is created by a user, the ticket is entered into the system with all of the information provided by the user and the user receives a confirmation email. The ticket will be assigned to the proper support agent or team based on the rules configured within the application. Any replies to that email are automatically added to the ticket with date and time added. Tickets can be easily closed upon completion. Duplicate tickets can be merged into one ticket which helps with management of the ticket queue. The user portal is easily customizable with company name and other options. Users can even attach a screenshot or other file to the ticket to provide useful information beyond the text description of the user problem. Best of all, it can be used for free.

Cons

Since this is a free IT Help Desk application, it is not nearly as full featured as some other IT Help Desk applications. Reporting is not as robust as some other applications. However, you can easily download information in .csv format and create your own reports if needed.

Reasons for Choosing Spiceworks

This product provided a fairly basic, but complete platform for us to be able to change the way that we handle user issues. As a small non-profit organization, it has all of the features that we needed to set up an online portal for our users. The price was also a major factor in our decision

Josh from Raining Rose, Inc

Awesome IT Help Desk software, horrible inventory system.

Pros

Spiceworks is great for managing help desk tickets. Using HTML we've been able to customize our end-user portal. Create multiple ticket templates to capture the details we truly need from end-users. We have found that the mobile application for iOS and Android to be the best on the market. It has a great GUI, very user friendly, informative, and easy to set up.

Cons

The inventory system is lacking when it comes to producing accurate information. At one point this year we were upgrading our end users to dual monitors. We attempted to use Spiceworks to produce the make and model of the current monitor the end users were using. It came back telling us a generic description. I ended up writing a batch file that would obtain them remotely and that was accurate. We've also had issues where it would scan a computer that had 2 monitors but would only show one. We also went through a license key audit and thought we could rely on Spiceworks to produce accurate results. It ended up showing us that several computers had 3 iterations of office installed. I understand that these keys are in the registry but other similar scanners would only produce keys for whats actually installed on the workstation by cross-referencing installed applications and registry keys. We recently have been experiencing issues where Spiceworks would attempt to scan 180 assets and it would fail to complete the scan without errors. We found this out by using WSUS to determine how many computers we had and Spiceworks was off by 30 assets of the 180. At least twice a week it also locks up and our end users can't access the help desk portal to submit tickets. We've chosen to use LanSweeper to track assets. LanSweeper produced accurate results in a fraction of the time Spiceworks produced incomplete results. Spiceworks took 8+ hours, LanSweeper <30 minutes.

Patrick from Conexus inc

Best ticketing system

This tool has been great for us. It’s very user friendly which was better then other ticketing systems we looked at. It’s been very beneficial to be able to keep track of our tickets. One huge benefit is the use of the mobile tool to be able to access and our modify the ticket when our users are on call

Pros

Great tool for ticketing system. Being a small company we used excel to track calls and troubleshooting with customers and we needed a better solution to keep track of all the calls and tickets created. It’s been great that we can access this in office and on our mobile device to refer to past notes in a ticket when we are on call. One benefit that we love is adding and modifying fields in the ticketing system to keep track of certain information of the customer

Cons

Having gone from tracking our own calls manually this has been a huge benefit and we haven’t noticed any downsides to using this.

Reasons for Choosing Spiceworks

This was more user friendly and the tools that are available were better for what we were looking for.

Amazing for the Price (FREE)

I don't know why I didnt try this soon, i think you presume if something doesnt have a high price tag then it wont be any good, but i was very wrong.

Pros

I love the ease of the ticketing system and the professionalism of the emails that come out from it. I have used some other IT help desk platforms but this one works really well.

Cons

The app isnt particularly slick but it works. I think in they could spend a bit more time on the app it would increase their portfolio tenfold. For the price it is a gem and you cannot go wrong.

Jeff from The Buccini Pollin Group

Bang for your Buck, especially when it is free!

I have used Spiceworks in 2 different IT Shops now and will continue to use them. I have attended SpiceWorld twice and will be attending it again this year. They bring the best IT companies together.

Pros

It's Free. It has a great mobile app that allows my techs to have access to the portal from anywhere. It is simple to use. It is cloud based. It comes with a free remote control tool (ZoHo) as well.

Cons

Advertisements. You have to expect that with anything that is free. We may upgrade to the paid version this year. Limited options in regards to the User Portal.

IT HELP DESK.

I highly enjoyed using this product and now with the other clients I manage with large office staffs we are also moving to this system.

Pros

I used this ticket system when I was apart of a IT team that setup a new casino network, software, servers and etc. I started with this software and a IT Tech user and handling my tickets. This software helped me do my job more effectively. I handled my tickets and assets in one location. It allows you to keep track of which user gets which device and I used the assets by mac address. Which in the end saved me a lot of time and frustration. Other techs didn't use the asset the same way so tracking down your devices after deployment is a nightmare. Even from the end user traning was a lot easier to handle because how easy this software is to use.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is a software issue or a setup issue. But when a user sends a email it would not auto fill in the info for the level of urgency.

Michael from Citizens Bank

A huge boost to our performance

Pros

Spiceworks was a God-send for me and my team. We needed a tool that could adequately query requests and Help-desk calls whilst keeping it simple. We were almost instantly able to achieve this. It's fully customizable to suit whatever need we have. I'd even recommend it for non-IT teams. It's that flexible.

Cons

It's great out of the box, and support is great but it was still a bit of a learning curve to configure. All in all an awesome product.

Ray from Information Technology & Services

Industry: Security and Investigations

Awesome Ticket Tracker

Spiceworks IT Help Desk aided me a great deal in managing IT tickets within the office and to be able to prioritize and track them.

Pros

This software allowed me to easily view and keep track of any IT Help Desk tickets that came in. Being able to have an easy to read list allowed me to prioritize what needed to be done and in what order.

Cons

There wasn't anything to dislike about it. The software is friendly enough that new IT agents and tenured ones should be able to figure it out without issue.

SpiceWorks does the job, for free-ninety-nine.

Prior to SpiceWorks we relied on emails from users with issues, and each IT person might manage those emails in their own way - flagging for followup, marking as unread, subfolders of their inbox, reminders, etc. Issues often were forgotten before being resolved as they moved further down in the IT inbox. We would often work on issues that another IT person already knew the answer to, thus wasting time. Spiceworks has made it so much easier to keep track of issues and their resolutions. IT supervisors can see at a glance if any of their people are struggling, and how quickly issues are resolved. Each ticket is categorized (Phone System, PC Hardware, Network, etc.) so its easy to see if things are getting better or worse. You can reply to a ticket with a suggested solution, categorize it, and close it, all using the "Tickets Anywhere" keywords.

Pros

It allows us to prioritize tickets, identify recurring problems, and prevent requests from "falling through the cracks". It provides our employees a single email address for getting help without them having to know who in IT does what. It is fairly configurable to meet different needs - we use it for warehouse and logistics issues as well as IT Help Desk. Tickets can be assigned, categorized, closed, etc. using "Tickets Anywhere" keywords when replying to the email so you don't even have to open the site to work tickets.

Cons

Emails sent to Spiceworks are converted to plain text with attachments, so tables and in-line images are lost. Due to this we sometimes have to ask the user to forward the email directly to us in order to see the original. There is a delay of between 1 and 5 minutes after an email is sent to Spiceworks before the Spiceworks email is received by team members, so we occasionally have more than one person starting to work on a ticket at the same time - especially if the ticket can be resolved simply by replying to the email.

Amber from Fox Pest Control

Very User-Friendly

It's been great. Since we've started using this (about a year ago) it has definitely improved our productivity, communication, and efficiency as an entire IT dept.

Pros

Oh, where to start! I love that anyone in our company can email a specific address that we have set up to forward from Spiceworks and it will automatically forward it to everyone on the IT team so we don't have to continue checking the actual software every 5 minutes. Also, when someone responds, it goes directly to the ticket assignee's email and we can respond from either the platform or our emails. It's also nice that it sends reminders of open tickets or things that have been untouched for a while. I like the dashboard to see the frequency of opened/closed tickets, as well as see which issues are the most prominent. The actual tickets have areas to specify the category of the issue as well as a 3rd party ticket# so it's easy to find. There is also a knowledge base that we can refer to people who have had similar problems as others in the past. And everything is in the cloud so we don't have to host anything to ensure that it's saved :) They just added a remote session option too which could come in super handy when troubleshooting an issue. Oh, and I like that it has internal as well as public notes and it saves a history of everything so can go back and revisit a closed ticket that was taken care of months ago.

Cons

The attachments are a little finicky. As in, it doesn't allow "inline" attachments (for when I want to show a screenshot in the middle of my explanation). And if I want to download a screenshot from a ticket, I have to right-click it and save (not a big deal) rather than just click on the print icon that's usually present in other attachment previews on different sites (like Gmail, per say). But honestly, I haven't really dealt with many other IT ticket help desk platforms so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The only other things I don't like are things that are user-error based. Like how if we don't update the category or the ticket type in the actual ticket, the proper stats won't show in the dashboard.

Victor from Stoneleaf Construction LLC

Spiceworks a great Help Desk suite with AiO preset that'll transform IT units into Rockstars!

I would recommend Spiceworks since can give you details that some other apps might be skipping out just like agent-less scanning that provides complete system details, including things like license keys for Microsoft software and toner levels on printers, the ability to manage Active Directory users and policies. For sure the Purchasing tracking system will give you a hand to develop the IT Budget and track down your top ten assets requirements.

Pros

The ticketing system works great you can set categories and customize the SLA's at your convenience and with the reporting tool you can build your own Ticket time tracking charts and accomplishment report of tickets assigned and complete that works great for newly IT departments that want to leverage their support standards. It includes a user portal so people can keep track of their tickets but also allows tickets creation/update via email which makes things so simple for the end user you can customize this portal with the company logo and preset the auto response message using HTML code. We have been using the inventory feature which is really robust gives plenty details about the IT assets and their warranties. You can set networks scans and Spiceworks will give you very detailed information about everything on your network.

Cons

Spiceworks software network management needs a lot of the time it is discovering items that you have no interest in managing remotely and yet it keeps finding stuff and bringing it to your attention. The ability to manually add inventory items gets overlapped for the constant network scanning. Spiceworks could open up their code a bit more. Since some specific needs that wouldn't be difficult to integrate/allow but that aren't done with the OpenSource collaboration to add more features and solve the lack of some specific UX desirable features.

Spiceworks IT Helpdesk offers great value for money. Most outstanding is the support.

The software provides a complete inventory even if stretched over multiple locations and networks; a complete ticketing system, knowledge base system and many other tools that are of good quality to manage day to day incidences and requests. The inventory scan provides great detail of networked devices and peripherals e.g. serials, make, model, status, warranty and many more. Customisable views allow you to quickly focus on the details necessary to troubleshoot issues.

Pros

Community forum. Personally, I consider forums a waste of time since you normally have to look for ages and still never get the answer you need. Communities are based that "someone has experienced this problem before" and is willing to share in all detail what the problem (can be awkward) and share the solution as well. On the Spiceworks community (cheers!), we have always found answers that you usually only find on paid communities (details, scripts etc). The software (FREE!) gives you a great overview, even if you are spread over multiple locations and/or multiple networks. A complete inventory and a ticketing system that are customisable and ready to integration software and scripts. What more do you want for free?

Cons

This is definitely not the worst but it takes a bit of getting used how Spiceworks operates. Like other platforms there is a learning curve. Some integration with other 3rd party software might not be straight forward but then there is the awesome community.

June 2015

Demitri from Bureau Van Dijk

June 2015

Essential to my daily function

Pros

This is a free product, which in itself is impressive when you consider what you are being offered. In addition to a customizable ticketing system, you are given an inventory system, and a newly added network monitoring function which so far has been nothing short of impressive (Until now I have been using PRTG Monitor, which in itself is a wonderful tool, but not free.) The initial setup is very easy, and and Spiceworks as a service has very low hardware requirements, meaning you can run it on an older laptop fairly well. The reporting function is a massive lifesaver, as it can help you generate a flexible list of everything from tickets (very flexible in what you want displayed, and how you want it sorted,) to your IT inventory (sorted by office location, purchase date, etc.) The ability to send these reports to our company's upper management to show hours spent on particular projects per month, or what assets need to be replaced due to original purchase date, is a very big plus. The community portal itself is full of helpful people who are always willing to share their knowledge. On multiple occasions where I had to find a solution to a technical problem, I found people who were quickly able to pull more details from each instance, and provide a brief list of solutions in a fairly short amount of time. When you are backed against a wall, this can be a massive lifesaver.

Cons

Plugin compatibility. Some older plugins may no longer work well with newer version of the software, as well as some of the newest plugins requiring the latest update, but these are just minor nitpicks.

Free help desk and ticketing system with integrated AD-compatible inventory

We have used the Spiceworks ticketing system for a few years and have been very pleased by the customization options, support, and overall performance of it. It has helped to streamline the efforts of our tech team and help us to effectively organize and delegate. From the ticket overview, you can see what tickets are new, outstanding, and who their owners are (if any). The customer portal side and automated responses are very customization as well, which helps to get your tech communications effectively branded for your organization.

Pros

The fact that it is a free product helps it to stand out. Beside that, when we did have an issue, the support was fantastic in helping us to track down and remedy the source of the problem. We really like the amount of detail you can see at a glance when using the help desk because it can aggregate the data from inventory which can include hardware devices and users. There are also many very handy plugins for Spiceworks that can help in countless ways.

Cons

Since our users had a habit of submitting tickets with numerous large attachments, the ticket database became kind of unwieldy and there wasn't a clear way to actually delete tickets or their attachments from the database. This is good and bad, in that there's no accidental deletion of ticket history, but it can be frustration if space on the hosting server is very limited.

Sergey from sbe Lifestyle Hospitality

Great HelpDesk / Inventory solution

Cost, up-to-date picture of the hardware inventory, logs, that can be used for internal audit purposes.

Pros

I used a free version of Spiceworks for several years. Installation of the application only takes few minutes. In just a few clicks you have a full robust system for ticketing and inventory. Another great perk is Spiceworks community, merely priceless resource where all the IT folks share their knowledge and can help you with random IT dramas. Great way to keep an eye on the hardware inventory. Getting it configured and working properly can be a challenge, but the results are well worth it. Not to mention great helpdesk ticketing functionality, that allows to put an order on how your service requests are processed on a daily basis.

Cons

I've only used a free version of the application. As I mentioned, one of the key reasons why I got it was for inventory purposes. Getting it work was a challenge. A lot of tweaking had to be done on the network to be able to query all of my PC and Mac workstations and servers. Nevertheless, the result was well worth it. Additionally, while the inventory is running, the system would be somewhat slow, but still managable. Great product! I highly recommend it to all IT admins out there.

Racey from Principle Solutions Group

Easily the best completely free helpdesk software out there

Pros

I like that it works well for a small to medium sized environment, I like that it has never crashed or given me a single problem in the five years I've used it as our only help desk ticketing solution, and I like that it costs absolutely nothing. It includes some other features like network monitoring, SNMP monitoring, etc., but we've never used any of those features. If you really need that type of functionality I'd recommend going with a more robust solution built for that purpose. All we needed was something to handle support request tickets and it has been great for that. If you have a very large environment you'll probably want to go with a more robust solution, but for our 100+ users this has been completely fine.

Cons

If I had to find something to complain about, I guess I would say that I don't care for the fact that its HTML based and is rendered in a browser window. I'm sure many people don't find this a con, I'm just personally used to working with an application installed locally and find the interface to be a little laggy compared to the snappy performance of something like Autotask. Not much to complain about in a free solution though.

Dustin from F2OnSite

Industry: Computer Hardware

Simply essential to every day I.T. Life!

There is really nothing to say but this software is excellent. I use it daily for ticketing, tracking, research and even I.T. related news clips. It's an essential one stop HUB for everything I.T. and best of all it's free.

Pros

Spiceworks is the software that my company uses for ticketing and a secondary asset tracking system. Since I've been using it I've found that it's infinitely more helpful than at first it seemed. The ticketing system is very simple to set up and tracks and assigns tickets very well. Besides the ticketing and asset tracking I love all the plug-ins that are available as well as the Spiceworks community. There are very few resources where you will find a more helpful bunch of users who have real world experience and can answer anything you might need to ask. I always find someone who has broken down extremely technical knowledge that makes it easier for me to learn and expand.

Cons

The software can sometimes be a bit slow to respond. There will at times be an odd lag in the software even though there is nothing taxing happening on the server and resources look fine. This is a minor occurrence and can be fixed by restarting the service on the server.

Omar from Conver

Industry: Plastics

Excellent Help Desk, Easy To Implement

We needed a help desk that was not only to record computer problems, but we also wanted to help us have greater visibility of the IT environment, computers that fail more, more common failures in the equipment and take advantage of that information to improve. Is very easy to implement, has integration with active directory and the visibility it gives you of the IT environment. The web site has a very complete guide for its installation and deployment. The tool goes beyond a simple help desk as you can have there Your inventory of equipment (hardware and software) and for example uninstall applications from the help desk.

Pros

It is a very complete help desk allows you to have a great visibility of what is happening with the statistics of category breakdown, work by engineer, attention time, etc.. In addition you can create an internal knowledge base, allows you to have your inventory of equipment, reports, purchase records associated with a ticket, etc.. It is very easy to use for the end user because he only has to send a mail to a specific email address and his ticket is registered in the system. It is very stable and reliable.

Cons

It takes time to adjust it to your needs, but it has a great forum where everyone helps you.

Considering the cost, it's a VERY powerful application

Very happy we got it. It is one of the most stable, reliable things we run here. It has genuinly made things smoother and easier for my IT Department. And yes, we are running the free version (so you know it's not a "paid indorsement"). If I ever changed jobs, Spiceworks would be the FIRST thing I installed at a new place. So much bang for low to no cost and a short learning curve

Pros

Does a great job of managing our help desk ticketing system. Nobody likes making tickets, but with 4 techs watching the que, problems get resolved faster. We have been using the system for years. Very stable. The inventorying is reasonably robust - will let you quickly spot machines that are not up to spec for a planned upgrade.

Cons

The polling and reporting on down devices is weak. You find out a device is down long after it actually went down, and then for DAYS it continues to aleret you the device is down (even though you have brought it back up). If you try and close the ticket, spiceworks gleefully creates another one, even though the problem is long gone. That said, we did not install this to be a network monitor, so any monitoring functionality is just icing on the cake.

Dustin from Elk Grove Park District

Great for a free helpdesk, but the community is where it shines

Pros

First off, nobody has ever complained about free. Spiceworks itself does what it is meant to do -- it provides a simple helpdesk for you and your users, with basic features you'd expect from a support system. It's full of little things, like a built-in knowledge base, built-in remote support, integrations with other tools, etc. The real value in Spiceworks though is it's community; it's like Experts Exchange on steroids. Everyone is friendly and helpful, and vendors have direct representation in the forums to help you with both sales and support questions. It rarely feels like anyone is trying to sell you anything in Spiceworks' community, but at the end of the day you end up buying from some vendors *because* of how they treat you there. It's incredible.

Cons

Inventory... inventory is not good. If you don't get it set up perfectly the first time, you might as well turn it off and forget about it. There's still no really good way to handle historical data and devices you no longer control.

Perfect starter IT Help Desk software with additional tools for Small Business sysadmins

Our small 3-person IT team needed a basic and easy-to-use helpdesk software for our technicians and end-users. Spiceworks was easy to install and meets all of our requirements, with a little bit of feature bloat (but it's free!). While I am sure we could pay money for a more customizable, modular, ad-free system, its simplicity and reliability is incredibly valuable in our IT department.

Pros

-Offers basic helpdesk features - email to ticket, email notifications, simple reports/metrics - and a simple interface for L1+ technicians. No training is required -Knowledge Base is a great place for documentation, and to refer users for duplicate tickets -No frills, easy to setup, requires virtually no maintenance when hosted on a Windows server (we do not use the cloud version)

Cons

-Inventory and Network Monitor just seem to add bloat for the minimal usefulness that they are - we can do a better job with other free tools like The Dude -Paying to remove ads still won't reclaim any screen space that they take up, just a replacement with your own graphic - I don't believe this is worth it

Tim from Dan Pfeiffer Automotive

A System Administrators best friend

Pros

Spiceworks is a totally free piece of software if you choose to self-host. Getting things up and running is pretty easy, and it doesn't involve a huge amount of upkeep to keep the inventory data up to date. It also comes with access to the Spiceworks online community. This is a gathering place for a large array of computer savvy folks who help each other out with questions, answers, and access to pieces of software that make life easier. I have reached out to the community many times, and gotten some great feedback on issues I have had, and suggestions on hardware and software purchases. I also like the ability to build my own help desk portal where end users can submit tickets for easier tracking and resolution.

Cons

I have had some issues with the self-hosted software crashing from time to time. I have not been able to figure out why it needs a random reboot to keep it happy, but it only happens every couple of months, so it really isn't a huge issue to me.

Valerio from Wallace Solution

Everything you need to just open and close tickets

Our company provides IT support to several customers. Specifically we have installed Spicework to handle the tickets of one of our customers. The organization of our client has approximately 50 users. Spicework has worked without any problems so far. We went from receiving requests via phone or email to having a system to organize the tickets, status and expiration dates.

Pros

This is a simple software that will allow you to manage the opening and closing of tickets for your organization. You can keep track of open tickets, assign them and make comments. All changes in a ticket automatically generate an email to those involved in them. It also detects on the network new computers, software changes, even can send alerts when there is little tonner in some printer or when there is little disk space on some computer in the network. This can be of great help to an organization's IT teams

Cons

It can be difficult to install and configure and help is not always immediate. Apart from this it can be a simple tool for the end user.

Michael from Cloud Tech Smart

100% free help desk and ticket resolution solution.

As I mentioned previously, a majority of our users are primarily mobile and being able to stay in touch with each other and with the client (who we can set up to receive notifications of their own when a ticket they created is edited) is essential. Further, there's no reason not to try it out because there is no financial commitment to worry about.

Pros

As I said above, it's FREE. For lower volume IT houses it's pretty great. We have a basic setup where emails sent to a support address automatically open a ticket. I operate almost exclusively from my phone and we've never had an issue creating, working on or closing tickets in the field or in the office.

Cons

Nothing more serious than the occasional hiccup when an update is released for the mobile app and features are either shuffled around or changed so much they aren't easily uncovered again. Also, if it did more to auto-populate the fields for the name of the person who submitted it, what it pertains to, which software or hardware they're looking for help with, that would be great.

May 2015

Paul from Expand International of America, Inc.

May 2015

Spiceworks - Full Featured IT Suite, Free

Pros

Spiceworks has an excellent product that is continuously evolving. The full featured suite give any IT professional the ability to use one module, several modules, or all the modules to meet their needs. New versions come out at least once a year with updates more frequently. Part of the evolution has been to a hosted, cloud based solution as an option for IT professionals who don't want to pay to host the server in their own environment. The product is and always will be free. The online forum boasts more than 2 million members with the employees actively involved in the social portal. The vendors that are part of the community are very helpful and many have a dedicated employee who actively monitors their portion of the forum, ready to help. Finally, the company hosts a great convention every year in Austin Texas which is always very well attended.

Cons

Spiceworks moves the product forward, but sometimes they don't come back to the basics of what makes the software great. Adding new features can be a plus, but enhancing old features is very important as well.

Aaron from Netpique

Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Spiceworks Help Desk is very user friendly and is a great cost effective ticketing system.

A cost effective IT HelpDesk ticketing system, that allows our business to track issues, increase productivity and keep track of our IT inventory.

Pros

Very easy to use and the initial setup and normal operation is user friendly enough to where even a novice user could get it working for their needs. When it comes to Help Desk software, you can't beat the low price of FREE! There is a large pool of add-ons and user created plugins that will fill in the blanks to add additional functionality. If you get stuck on an issue while using Spiceworks Help Desk, the official email support and user forums are very helpful. Helps you keep track of inventory. Overall if you are looking for a cost effective HelpDesk ticketing solution for a small/medium business, you can't go wrong here.

Cons

Users have reported that on very large networks the initial network scan can take days to complete. Official support is limited to email or user forums. You can't hire an expert through Spiceworks to help set up or configure Spiceworks Help Desk to meet your needs. It is up to you to figure it out.

Becky Jewell from Zentail

Best for IT

Spiceworks IT makes it easy for my team and I to manage difficult IT tickets as well as track our own internal projects. The in-app emailing notification system helps keep clients up to date on ticket progress, so that we don't have to update tickets and email clients separately.

Pros

Spiceworks IT Help Desk is great to help manage ticket times and IT tasks. I like that it is made specifically for IT tickets or level 2 software support scenarios, it's definitely more for IT than for software development or software feature tracking. The modules are a little easier to look at than Fogbugz. The admin portal is also easy to use and manage teammates and team workloads - managing inbound tickets and creating brand new tickets (as a manager) to send out tasks is easy.

Cons

For me it took a while to ramp up and get trained on Spiceworks IT - it was a little bit less intuitive than Fogbugz and JIRA, but, once you learn how it works, it's much better. If anything goes wrong customer support is pretty good. For software development projects where repositories are being merged/ features are being tracked ect it isn't the best fit.

Troy from CSDNet

Great Help Desk Portal

When we moved from our prior software provider to Spiceworks, our technicians and users all immediately began to notice a great improvement in usability and functionality. From being able to interact with the software via emails while our technicians are on the go, to updating users when comments are posted and issues are resolved, this software have greatly improved our help desk's day to day productivity.

Pros

Spiceworks is a free yet versatile help desk portal for users to submit tickets, technicians to track tickets and for administrators to generate reports. With the vast community support behind Spiceworks, its very easy to figure out to to customize the look and feel to meet the needs of your organization.

Cons

While Spiceworks is great, [I assume] because of the free nature of the software and the companies business model, updates aren't very frequent. Security issues within the software can take a long time to get patched, and new features and few and far in-between.

Matthew from Calgro M3 Developments (Pty) Ltd

Fantastic IT Help Desk Solution

It has been a good way to track tickets and gives us the basic information as to how many tickets we are closing per week

Pros

Myself and my team have been using Spiceworks for the last 2 years now as our Help Desk Ticketing software solution. We have now also recently changed over to their cloud version of this software which incredibly is also free and still have zero issues with the software. To date, it has never let us down. Spiceworks software delivers all the functionality we need out of a Help Desk Solution and is still running strong for us. We manage over a 500 tickets daily through this software and have never found to have had any technical issues with it.

Cons

I do however have only one small issue and that is I wish it had better sorting of submitted tickets and improved search capabilities. Otherwise this software is amazing and only look forward to any future updates they may have for us.

Robert from Western Mass Training Consortium

Industry: Individual & Family Services

IT Support at its finest!

Pros

Where to begin - there are so many features and services that we have come to rely on in regard to Spiceworks such as: -Remote data collection on all devices: you can see when a hard drive is out of space before it becomes a problem -Remote data collection on logs: you can see when someone had some log errors and they don't know about it and you catch a system-wide upgrade issue before it affects everyone -Software reports: see who has what installed and if it fits in the companies guidelines -Seamless integration between ticket creation and purchasing. Also, Vendor participation that allows vendors to directly communicate with the whole community and help out, without all the trouble of phone calling and long wait times.

Cons

The only thing we have identified that Spiceworks doesn't do is patch management but word is they are working on that.

Peter from Columbia Data Products - Snapback

Spiceworks keeps me always alert and well informed of the workings of my teams at all times.

It is an excellent system that gives me the opportunity to visualize the state of my network, which allows me to be always informed, updated and alert to any inconvenience that our equipment may present. We have been able to monitor our servers and switches using any agent that is installed on each one. With Spiceworks I have been able to scan all network devices and desktop computers with windows in a very simple way.

Pros

This system is very easy to use and configure, even for users who are just starting out in these activities. It has the main property of always keeping us informed of the state in which our servers and switches are located and in case of any problem Spiceworks will alert us even before it occurs. Another feature that has benefited us is that it is not necessary to log on to an individual computer, we just have to open the system and be able to buy everything. It is a fully automatic system and we can use it from any type of device that is integrated into a browser compatible with the system, provided that the data is hosted on the computers of the internal network of our company.

Cons

Sometimes the system can become a bit slow, especially when we access the system through low-income or old-order ones.

William from Claymont City Schools

Spiceworks - The Ultimate Help Desk?

Spiceworks is an excellent (and FREE!) option for an IT help desk. I guarantee you won't regret at least giving Spiceworks a quick test drive to see if it is a good fit for your team.

Pros

We have been using Spiceworks for 3-4 years and I absolutely love it. It allows our team to stay on task, easily communicate through notes on tickets, and most importantly get work completed efficiently. We obviously chose this software because it was free, but kept using it because it was easy to use, easy to configure, and had a large community of support behind it.

Cons

Some features of Spiceworks simply don't work well. Such as the inventory component of the software. It attempts to gather all the computers in your domain and place them in an inventory so you can track and monitor them, but at least half of our PCs just don't report in no matter how much troubleshooting we try.

Richard from Zounds Hearing

Free, Reliable and Easy to use Helpdesk

Easy, Reliable and Free Helpdesk Software

Pros

We love Spiceworks Helpdesk. It is so easy to use, feature rich, and reliable. It allows our user to submit a helpdesk via e-mail or by using our spiceworks helpdesk portal. We have multiple technicians and departments, so once a ticket comes in it can be assigned to a certain technician or department automatically based on rules we assign. Certain technicians can see all tickets while others can only see their own, which is good for security and privacy issues. You can add notes and attachments to tickets and also add KB article or replies you post frequently so you don't have to retype common replies or solutions over and over again.

Cons

Sometimes it will run into an issue where the spiceworks page will be down but usually it is easy to resolve or a quick reboot will fix it.

Daniel from Lakewood Police Department

Industry: Law Enforcement

It's great, setup is a pain

We used to rely on word of mouth or emails that would generally get lost. I am now able to keep track of all user submitted tickets to see where my staff is and ensure that things get completed. It also makes it much easier for users to report an issue. Previously users were discouraged from reporting technical issues because there was no guarantee the issue would ever be addressed. We now have accountability.

Pros

Extremely easy to use as a user and an administrator. Users simply send an email to a pre-defined email address (help@domain.com) and a e-ticket is automatically generated. My IT staff receives notifications via email as well as the mobile app. IT Staff is able to assign tickets, respond to users, set categories, etc. very easily. Best of all, it's FREE.

Cons

Set up was very difficult. It took us a few attempts to get it working. But once it was up and running, it keeps on going.

Excellent product, free and top notch support

Pros

Can't beat the price. You have the flexibility to operate your helpdesk "in-house" or use their hosted platform. Either way you will have a full featured, customizable helpdesk with a user portal. At its minimal setup, you can be up and running in under an hour. If you have more work to do, you can easily build it to suit your needs. If you need additional functionality, you can always install one of many plugins.

Cons

Though the community is awesome, many of the useful plugins over the years have been abandoned by their creators. Since these are built and maintained by the users of the community, these are often made to address a specific issue, and not many are kept up with "fixes". It would be great if Spiceworks worked a bit more on incorporating the most used ones into their software natively.

Pauline from IAU

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Useful but Decided Not to Keep Using it (used cloud version)

I used the cloud-based version of Spiceworks for our tech support team as our ticketing system. It was a way to keep track of all the inquiries, a way to divide tasks, keep track of how quickly these tasks were getting done and what topics are being worked on the most. Spiceworks is very easy to get off the ground, very easy to use. I liked the categories, having its own portal, & email address. I used it with my google group so anyone who emailed our specific email would then get forwarded to Spiceworks and from there it would automatically generate a ticket. I found it great to take a quick look to see productivity and efficiency of the team. It's a centralized location and prevents topics/emails from being forgotten.

Pros

Easy to use. Reporting feature is cool to see what response time is, can export a report to CSV. Nice for supervisors to see what is being worked on. It splits up the responsibility of the tasks and we know who is responsible.

Cons

Any yahoo.com emails would not get the creator labeled properly so if we were to respond to that ticket, it wouldn't go to the actual creator. Staff found it cumbersome and difficult to read the small font and to follow the thread.

Doriann from Miga's Bakery-Deli-Cafe

An excellent trip to the organization, control and monitoring of my company LAN.

I get control of the company's computer park and with software's functionalities I was able to get all the information about their life time. It also allowed me to carry the statistics of activities and faults in LAN allowing me to study their numbers and attack the problems with greater precision.

Pros

It is a Swiss Army knife for network administrators allowing inventory, equipment monitoring and failure tracking and activities within the same package. It is great to be able to have everything you need within reach of an IP address, in addition to being able to receive as many notifications as you want and of what you want within the operation of the network.

Cons

The hardware requirements are many, leaving out all those equipment with few features. Although software as such does not merit investment, it concentrates on the necessary hardware.

Victor from Mara Technologies Inc.

IT Ticket organization!

Helped improved efficiencies at work and streamline issues to the IT dept. Love it!

Pros

What can I say and where to start? It's FREE! They don't charge you anything to use it and it's great. We use it mostly to track IT tickets which is good for the company. Anyone who has an issue can submit it and we can track what was done, what was wrong, when it was done and who did it. It even lets us track times spent on it plus charge IT fees according to time spent. Although we don't typically charge fees, it's still a feature built it. On top of that, I can keep track of purchases made, approved and delivered. That way, both the IT manager and user who has an issue can know exactly what is going on with their ticket and purchases. It also keeps stats of time spend per ticket, how quickly the ticket was responded to and how long did it take to complete it.

Cons

Adware. Yes it's free so they have to put ads in to help pay for the software. Also, I don't like the fact that it tries to send me to certain suppliers to buy IT equipment. Sometimes I wonder if my information is being sold.

Spiceworks is awesome!

It's amazing that the software is free. We were able to implement a proper help desk system with all the features we needed at no cost. The Spiceworks online community is amazing. The knowledge available there is as good as any other source on the Internet.

Pros

It's free. The help desk functionality does exactly what it's supposed to do. Users can submit tickets via email or through a portal, and support staff are notified and can acknowledge the tickets right away. When ticket updates are entered promptly, it provides excellent visibility into the life of a trouble ticket. The Spiceworks community is amazing. It's our first stop when searching for answers to tough problems.

Cons

We occasionally have issues with the system not checking email for new support tickets. A restart of the software solves the problem.

Great Helpdesk product and it's FREE!!!!

I have had an overall great experience with this product. I have used it at two different jobs over the last 10+ years and it has always stayed free and always gotten better.

Pros

The fact that it is 100% free is amazing. Secondly, it is very easy to setup, maintain and to use. It solves all of our needs for documenting our work via a ticketing system. Its reliable and also the Spicework Community is a great resource for answering technical questions. We actually use two installations of this: one for the IT team to document their work and also one for our Maintenance department to document maintenance requests and tickets and it works great.

Cons

The software is not perfect and sometimes locks up or stops working and must be restarted. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Jim from Charter One Realty

Spiceworks Help Desk has made my life easier

I am able to track and prioritize work that needs to be done and communicate with the user about the progress of their request.

Pros

It enables my user base to submit requests easily and allows me to communicate effectively with those users as far as the progress of the request and helps me to track requests. No more losing my "To Do" list. In addition, I can add a ticket for something I want to get taken care of, assign it a priority and follow updates all from one place. I also have the ios app so I can see it anywhere. In addition to all that, it is free!

Cons

It's hard to say what I don't like because I am not terribly familiar with other Help Desk Software for comparison. The initial setup was a little confusing for me. There was support but it was email and so there was a bit of time delay. Getting users to understand that they don't need to send a new email everytime because it creates a new ticket has been a challenge.

Nikki from The Print Quarter

Industry: Printing

Lots of features for a help desk ticket system

I use Spiceworks IT Help Desk at work as a ticket system. It creates an individual ticket for each customer when they have an issue, and organises all the communications with this user with this individual ticket system number. It has really made us more efficient as rather than having to reply individually and try to keep track of emails with a customer, it is all stored within one system.

Pros

I like that Spiceworks IT Help Desk lets me work with customers through a ticket system, so I can stay organised versus answering and tracking individual emails. It also gives a notification when there is a new ticket or a message that has been waiting over 24 hours.

Cons

It is a little difficult to use and figure out the menus of the helpdesk system, and also every page seems to have to reload and does not work very quickly.

Amanda from Tanger Outlets

SpiceWORKS

It is free, there is a ton of content in the forums and nice little giveaways. (I have gotten many pairs of socks and Gift Cards though this.)

Pros

I love SpiceWorks. There are so many features when using SpiceWorks. There is a Forum that you can use to get help or chat with other users. There are giveaways and discounts for products. The ticket system is fantastic. When submitting tickets you can run reports and schedule them to pull a specific type of ticket and run a report at a specific time. It is super user friendly. There is too much content to name here.

Cons

The inventory Scan feature is not always accurate. The periodic upgrades are annoying, and some upgrades makes a drastic change. The mobile app is quirky. Does not support MAC OS

Great Helpdesk Solution

I am able to keep track of my work and assign/re-assign tickets with ease. Going back to reference a past solution is easy. A very practical helpdesk portal.

Pros

Tickets can be auto-created upon email receipt as well as direct-upload to the Spiceworks portal. The former makes it much easier for users in more of a hurry to get their request in.

Cons

Linking tickets to other tickets (sub-tickets) can make for a somewhat confusing ticket tree. Could be more intuitive.

Reasons for Choosing Spiceworks

I was not on staff during the Spiceworks purchasing process but I of course know cost was a big factor with concerns to shopping around for a helpdesk portal.

Bryan from Lipton LLP

Spiceworks Just Works

Easy to use from all sides. Technicians are able to determine and prioritize all issues and users have a one stop shop for help.

Pros

Pretty much everything. It is so comprehensive and makes everything I do easier. From manging my inventory to generating reports, to monitoring every system I have down to the postage machine, it's an incredible product, and oh, it's free! Mission critical software I couldn't possibly live without.

Cons

Splitting hairs, but if I had to say something negative, it would be that getting it to report properly on your inventory take a bit too figure out. But one your do, it's seamless and intuitive.

Reasons for Choosing Spiceworks

Initially, the cost, but I was so pleased I determined I didn't need to search further.

Gilbert from NWS

Above average Trouble Ticket System

I work in Government Agency and we use Spicework as our IT Ticket System. We instruct our users to open Tickets and the Tickets send emails to the IT Team Members who then comment and or update the Ticket.

Pros

The Website Portal is very intuitively laid out. Creating Tickets and then Commenting on them makes it easier to work as a Team and tackle a wide variety of IT problems. The Website Portal also makes it easy to merge similar Tickets together.

Cons

The software to setup your own Spiceworks Ticket Server is practically free, the only draw back is the ads. Not a very big deal the ads are not in you face or play annoying music like some websites are starting to do. To clarify Spiceworks ads do not play any music and are at least IT related.

Aaron from NativeX

Great for Small Teams & Budgets; Lacks Reporting Features

For the price of free, this is a great Help Desk solution, especially for small staff. It can be a bit slow at times on the cloud-hosted solution. It also doesn't have much for options when it comes to Reporting functions, but it does all the necessities well. The Tickets dashboard is easy to understand, and they have a large community of helpful/knowledgable professionals that have helped me figure out tough issues more than once.

Pros

I really like that it's free, especially because the team I support is drastically smaller than it used to be, and we don't need near the features we had in the past. The Ticket dashboard is easy to understand, and I like that I can easily create new Ticket Views. I also enjoy the amount of support the community aspect brings to the table. The Knowledge Base allows techs to create articles for their users, and it provides the ability for techs to look at articles of other techs outside of their company in order to draw on their expertise. I also really enjoy that I'm able to restrict what domains I can receive tickets from in order to prevent spam/junk.

Cons

It's kind of expected with a free product, but the Reporting feature is pretty bare bones. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of options for configuring custom reports, and the available options are very limited. Every once in a while, the cloud-hosted solution is a bit slow. Other than that, I haven't experienced any issues.

Marvin from Springfield Greene Country Library

Great ticketing/inventory software with a great support community as well.

Great software, it has helped us to streamline out ticketing and get things done faster.

Pros

Honestly, Everything! This is great software and it's hard to believe that its free to use. as with anything there are going to be things here and there that some do not like, but the overall Idea behind this software and what it does and what it allows you to do is absolutely great!

Cons

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this software. I just really really like it. I suppose if I am forced to come up with some kind of con I would have to say it would be nice to have a fourth Priority level. One above High such as Urgent. but other than that. This is really a well thought out and well designed "IMO" piece of kit!