Browse Virtru Reviews

Kyle from Broadsign

Encrypted emails all from your inbox!

Overall Virtru is my go to email encryption solution. It really give peace of mind when you need to send sensitive information

Pros

Alows you to send encrypted emails natively inside gmail inbox. This will also encrypt any attachments you add also!

Cons

Since this is essentially a browser extension there are some weird bugs that happen, but most of these are dealt with a simple off and on of your browser.

Erica from genome medical

Industry: Biotechnology

Pleased - so far so good

I have been using Virtru for 3 years and primarily send medical records to patients. Overall, it's been very positive but as I mentioned, we have had to develop clear instructions to make it more user friendly for our patients and partners.

Pros

Pros: - it's easy to set up and train new team members to use. - when toggled on/off it's very clear with the color change which setting you have it on - it is a simple process to revoke an email. I like that you don't need to visit the dashboard to do so - I reached out for customer support and received timely responses

Cons

Cons: - Sometimes there is an issue with attachments. I have heard from many recipients that they have difficulty accessing them and it's not obvious to me as the sender why this happens - the messages often go to a spam or junk folder - it's not always clear when an email has been accessed - there isn't an option to export or easily filter messages in the dashboard - once you have accessed a secure message it's easy after that, but it can be confusing for first time users. I have had to start sending instructions about how to retrieve the passcode, but it results in frustration from time to time. patients just want to read their message. they don't want to jump through hoops to do it. - if sending from an alias, you cannot tell which person read it

Heather from Dr Christian A Clinard Family Dentistry

Virtru gives us peace of mind when sharing patients private information!

My overall experience with Virtru has been a good one. I would recommend to any medical facility to use Virtru to protect their patients private information.

Pros

Virtru is very user friendly. I have not had any problems at all with this software. I love that it allows for us to send our patients private information safely and securely.

Cons

Every once in a while we will have a recipient state that they cannot open up the attachment that we have sent through Virtru but that is not very often.

Maricel from Globe

Not that Functional

Pros

It’s function to secure privacy of my email was not relevant for me. Other recipients (does not have virtru) outside my company is having hard time accesing my email though my email is intended for all the recipients. There are still other software which is better than this.

Cons

I don’t like that when virtru is enabled I still have to click another botton in order to send my email. It took longer to load the email before I can read which is not helping for me.

Christian from The Counseling and Education Center

Protection Made Easy

We are in the mental health business and have the confines of HIPAA to pay attention to. Virtru is a product that allows staff to deliver sensitive reports to other medical providers in our area in a secure manner. I also value this added layer of protection for email within the agency - to protect information at all times.

Pros

The extension into Chrome and working seamlessly with Gmail is wonderful. The ability to set controls and even making sent mail disappear after 10 days is outstanding. I value that everyone receiving can easily open our encrypted email and not have to deal with another user ID and password. This product is very sophisticated.

Cons

Once in a while the extension disappears from Chrome. I have had a number of employees suddenly no longer have Virtru installed and wondering how to get it back. While not that hard to "reinstall", it is bothersome that this occurs.

Reasons for Choosing Virtru

The ease of use to apply encryption and the controls that give even more control over the email (e.g. blocking any forwarding). I also wanted something easy for receiving clients that would not require an "account".

Heather from Agri-Service LLC

Industry: Machinery

Convenient and easy

I love virtru because it is so easy and accessible and secure.

Pros

I love that this is integrated directly into my outlook so when I create a new email all I have to do is click the virtru button and it sends my email encrypted. I can also search for previous emails specifically sent with virtru within outlook.

Cons

There have been a few instances when I have used virtru to send emails outside of the organization and the recipients were for whatever reason unable to open the message or attachment. I'm not sure if it was due to user error or not though.

Matthew from Casa Cornelia Law Center

User friendly encryption

It has been a pretty solid product. There are some hiccups here and there, as is the case with anything, but I am happy with the experience.

Pros

It is very easy to use. All you need to do is click a button and you are good to go. It seems pretty secure and, by and large, it is a reliable program.

Cons

Occasionally, Virtu will lag or not work at all. I was ready to write this off as me having issues with my own bandwidth, but my colleagues working from home would tell me they were having similar issues at the same time. Another is issue is people to whom I send encrypted emails who do not have a Virtu account sometimes have difficulty opening emails. I don't know if this is because of user error on their end, software error, or if the instructions for non-account holders are difficult to follow.

Jennifer from Periodontal Associates

Great service, easy to use

Positive experience, only frustration is when sending to someone, they can't open the message on their phone the first time which I wish we would have known up front.

Pros

The best feature is the ease of use. I have used other privacy software in the past that left me feeling frustrated and confused. Virtru is user friendly but still provides the security we need in a healthcare setting.

Cons

You can't open a private message on your phone :(

Price, ease of use

Reasons for Switching to Virtru

Price, features, and ease of use

Lonnie from SWIA MHDS REGION

Use of Virtu in Mental Health

Overall the experience has been good using Virtru in our office.

Pros

Our Agency utilities Virtru to encrypt our emails that contain protected health information. For the most part this is effective tool, it is easy to use for the user. I like the feature that if you accidentally send it to the wrong email that you can retract the email without worry about HIPAA violation.

Cons

Some of the providers that we send our enrypted emails to have trouble opening them epscially if they are using IPAD for email so I wish this could be resolved.

Lance from Clark Christian Counseling, PLLC

EASY solution for HIPAA-compliant emails

Product is GREAT for ease of use. Customer support is some of the most prompt, knowledgeable, courteous, and helpful I've ever encountered. That makes up for the rare times when VIRTRU gets cranky, LOL!

Pros

We use VIRTRU with OUTLOOK Desktop; with one click of a button (or none, using the default setting) ALL emails are encrypted AUTOMATICALLY and received, decrypted AUTOMATICALLY. No extra steps - very time-saving!!

Cons

VIRTRU will, at times, save the email you though you sent to the DRAFTS folder without alerting you that it has done so. We chose to accept that anomaly and simply work around it; we moved out DRAFTS folder so that is visually right above our INBOX. That way, you never miss that that anomaly happened.

Lakesha from Mid-Florida Area Agency on Aging Elder Options

Virtu Power User Review

My overall experience with Virtu has been good. The huge benefit that I get from this feature is the ease of encrypting my e-mails.

Pros

The Virtu icon feature that’s contained within the composed e-mail is most impactful. With a click of a button, I’m able to encrypt my e-mails. I enjoy the reminder to secure or not secure before sending my e-mails.

Cons

The feature that I least like about the software is when I’m replying to a sender’s e-mail, as soon as I hit reply the message from the sender disappears. It’s annoying because I like to see the message from the sender below my reply message so that I can respond to all their questions without having unlock the message from the sender, wait to receive an e-mail for verify myself, then receive a pop-up of the sender’s e-mail again. So I’m opening the same e-mail twice.

Tess from Delaney Radiology

Functional Encryption to Keep Your Data Safe!

Virtru allows us to include multiple elements of PHI in our communication without concerns that HIPAA will be breached. Our IT department thoroughly vetted the product and we're confident that Virtru provides compliance we can depend on.

Pros

Easy to use product. I've encountered few issues with recipient access to encrypted e-mails. At-a-glance confirmation that Virtru is enabled or has been utilized on an e-mail thread.

Cons

Did experience a .dll conflict with an older version of Windows but no issues since then.

Denise from All Access Ortho

Virtru Review

Overall, within the last two and half years that I’ve been using this extension on google for my job, I haven’t had any trouble with it.

Pros

I like that it is easy to use and install. It’s a safer way for us to send patient information by sending referrals through emails instead of faxes.

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is that it is harder to open up emails on other devices other than a computer.

Todd from Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs

They have been great to work with.

Pros

Simple and easy integration... No need to change MX records or alter hosting options.

Cons

PLEASE bring back support for Firefox... Not everyone enjoys Chrome.

Reasons for Choosing Virtru

Simpler install path, quicker deployment and less overhead on IT staff.

Amy from Ottawa County Riverview Healthcare Campus

Easy to Use

We are healthcare and Virtru makes our emails HIPAA compliant.

Pros

It is very simple to use and can be used with any platform.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little while for messages to decrypt. If the recipient is not a user they sometimes have difficulty in opening emails.

Hannah from Harrisonburg-Rockingham CSB

Convenient

Pros

I appreciate that Virtru can be integrated into my Outlook and can autodecrypt without requiting a password on a separate window each time. Saves lots of time and frustration!

Cons

I wish I could view previous emails in the thread more easily. When an email I am responding to is long or has several parts, I often have to paste it into my response so I can remember what I'm responding to.

Heather from Mecca Integrated Medical Center

We love it

We will continue to use them! They work seamlessly with Gmail.

Pros

The ease of use - being able to click the toggle to turn encryption on and off is wonderful!

Cons

Feedback from recipients of encrypted emails is that it doesn't work well with Outlook.

patty from Hertel and Brown P.T.

Product Review

Overall, very good experience as a user for inner-office use

Pros

Sending to others already using Virtru is easy and not an issue.

Cons

Some confusion on receiver end if have never used Virtru previously and receive my gmail in Virtru format.

Alexis from MSA Mortgage

Wonderful Feature

Pros

I love that I can send secure information with ease and not needed to worry about compromising personal information

Cons

Sometimes my messages sent end up in the receivers spam which adds to time wasted

Colleen from Genescreen Counseling, LLC

Overall, we are happy with this software.

Pros

Virtru was easy to download and start using. You can easily encrypt your messages with the click of a button.

Cons

The software does often "glitch" and does not send messages. However, you can usually just click "send" again, and it will usually work the second time you click send.

Jezalyn from Opteo Health

Great!

Pros

It is easy to use and keeps sensitive information secure.

Cons

There are no cons to this software that I have experience.

Taylor from Genome Medical

Virtru & Protection

I have never experienced or have run into any issues using Virtru.

Pros

This software is super user friendly providing clients with an awesome experience and easy accessibility to secure, important information.

Cons

I have yet to find something I do not like about this!

Excellent Software, Questionable Terms of Service

Pros

The software performed its job well using our Google Apps account and allowed us to sign sensitive HR emails and documents. We recently discovered, however, that there is a free version they offer that meets all our basic emailing needs.

Cons

You need to cancel with 30 days notice or they force you into another year of service. So if you're paying be careful with giving proper notice. We never received the "reminder" email and only received the actual invoice once the term expired. Kinda convenient, right? Because of this experience, I can only recommend their free solution.

Marjorie from Northern Valley Catholic Social Service

Overall it is a good product.

Pros

It is really easy to encrypt and I like that it asks me if I want to encrypt.

Cons

Sometimes it doesn't send and I have to re-do the email.

Lori from Celtic Consulting

Fast, Easy, Safe

Pros

Virtru is fast and easy to use. Click Virtru on your email and it is secured to send. My experience with other products has been more cumbersome. I also like the Virtru App on my phone to securely send and receive emails!

Cons

Forwarded messages do not always have info available to read from the email trail.

Sylvia from SleepQuest

Quick & easy

Pros

Very simple to set up your account, and outgoing message. Extremely easy to activate/deactivate the encryption for each message.

Cons

You need to log into the website in order to see if a message has been read. It would be better if you sent an email notification when the message is read by the recipient.

Joshua from Precision Imaging Centers

Works Well on My End

I work mostly with attorney offices and am required to send them medical records and bills.

Pros

I like that's it's easy to use by flipping a toggle switch and that if I try to send without I get a reminder.

Cons

I am still warned about sending without encrytion when I email staff in the same domain as me [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Kristen from Liberty House

Sends secure HIPPA compliant emails

Does complicate responding and forwarding encrypted messages, such as previous message content will not show.

Pros

It is easy to change an unsecured email, into a secured, HIPPA compliant email.

Cons

I do not know what the cost is, but I assume it must be competitive because my non-profit organization selected it.

Maritza from Genome Medical

Safe and User Friendly!

Amazing, easy, safe and streamlined.

Pros

I enjoy how easy it is to encrypt our patient's documents. Once click and our files are encrypted, you can't beat that!

Cons

Virtru emails tend to be sent to spam which caused many patients to miss our communication.

Ilan from DCQ LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Secure data

I like it, it is solid and reliable and makes my professional life easier.

Pros

In the legal world securing and encrypting our date is a must. Virtu makes that possible and allows us to transmit information and limit the ability to transfer it further.

Cons

The interface is not easy to use. I thought it would be more intuitive than it is. That being said it is improving all the time

Amy from Springs Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Free way to easily encrypt emails for confidentiality

Pros

Free I feel safe knowing my data transmission is secure Easy to use on a desktop App has easy way to switch encryption on/off

Cons

-Cannot be used on the Mail app on Macs, must login to your email provider (e.g.: gmail) to be able to use. Similarly for phones, you must use the VSEE app separate from your mail app. -As with most email encryption services, can be a pain for the person on the receiving end to verify they are who they are.

Johnna from Affiliate Services

Overall, my experience with virtru was pretty neutral. There was not anything overly amazing about it. And as I mentioned, I was not involved in the buying decision and do not know the cost or value

Pros

What I liked most about virtru is that it wasn’t too difficult to set up on my gmail email account. This software was something I was told to start using, so I do not know what its cost was.

Cons

There was not really anything that I did not like about the software. Sometimes when a large attachment was on the email it took a while for virtru to verify the attachment before sending.

We've recently started using Virtru and it's been great!

Pros

My company's HR department recently started using Virtru for encrypting gmail correspondence that contains sensitive employee information, and it is very intuitive to use.

Cons

Having to onboard users with following a link in an email can cause concerns for the end-user in some cases, but this is easily overcome.

Whitney from State of Utah

Great way to send secure

so far so good, love the functionality.

Pros

I love that you can choose which emails to include this on and it's not required on all emails.

Cons

so far no complaints , love the product!