• Pros

• "This system is easy to use. Customer Support is the best I have ever experienced. There is no perfect system, but this one was the best one for our agency."

• "I'm afraid for us there is nothing to like about this software. We were heavily courted during the sales process. Now I know why. "

• "One location for all documentation files, not order driven, allows user flexibility, and excellent price with options"

• Cons

• "The process to complete simple tasks can be complicated at times."

• "going through the online support can be challenging but it does work"

• "Can be hard to get ahold of support but they are very good. Some times the program locks up or kicks users out but that could be our own network"

Browse HEALTHCAREfirst Reviews

Pamela from Front Range Hospice & Palliative Care

firstHospice a product of HealthCare First

It is an easy to use, HIPAA compliant, tablets are inexpensive (compared to laptops), they have been receptive to my suggestions and we are often a Beta tester for the program.

Pros

Very user friendly; works very well on tablet which allows for bedside charting; trending function is excellent and helps paint the picture of decline; care plan provides a lot of variety in goals and interventions.

Cons

going through the online support can be challenging but it does work

Reasons for Choosing HEALTHCAREfirst

ease of use and price I did look at others but it was 14 years ago

June 2016

Carol from Hearts with Integrity

June 2016

Best Home Health Software!

We've been with HealthcareFirst for almost seven years and we have no doubt that this is the best! Because they have been so good to us, I feel that I need to fill out this review as a gratitude to HealthcareFirst and to help other agencies who are looking for a new software to check out this wonderful company. We've tried a couple of other software programs and there is no way they can measure up to HealthcareFirst. Where do I start......I guess one of the best features is how easy it is to use, almost like working in Microsoft word. It has everything we need including the ease of having multi payor sources plus more.

Pros

They have a built in OASIS scrubber that alerts us and the clinician if there is a discrepancy in charting. We receive alerts on anything that needs addressed or is untimely. We are a small home health agency and HealthcareFirst was one of the most affordable software vendors that could do everything we needed it to do. They do our Medicare, Medicaid and Commercial Insurance billing for us and send us a weekly report. HealthcareFirst does our HHCAHPS and I don't even have to upload anything, it is automatic. They send us notices of any bad reports so we can stay on top of it. I love the integrated and secure email that is built into this software. The scheduling is wonderful and helps us to keep track and never miss a visit or supervisory visit. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the reports. I use a report for payroll, checking how many admissions, employee files expiration dates (TB, CPR, License, etc...), AR Aging, and many others. The Business Intelligence part of this software helps us to know everything that is going on. We can even see if any client changes insurance in the middle of an episode. I could go on and on about all the great features this software has..... Thank you HealthcareFirst for all you do for us!

Cons

wish they had a way of tracking when an employee arrives at a visit, the address of where they are, how long they are at each visit, the travel time and mileage. I think this would make all agencies feel a lot better.

Heidi from WHHH Consulting

It's an OK starting software for a start up

I implemented this product for a brand-new home health start up and I flew to Springfield to attend training on site. I found the people to be nice and the trainer was knowledgeable and entertaining.

Pros

The things I liked about the product were • Ease of use • Due to being web-based there's no actual implementation. • No crazy set up for permissions

Cons

The things I did not like about the system are as follows • No real customization ? • The billing portion and general ledger portion are not as user-friendly as the rest of the system.

Response from Meghan

Replied February 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that your software training was a success! We pride ourselves on our unique, high-touch implementation, training, and customer service. Regarding customization, our Document Creator within firstHOMECARE gives you the ability to create custom clinical documents and orders based on your specific needs and processes. If you would like to discuss Document Creator in more detail, please call us at 800.841.6095.

December 2013

David from Ballinger Home Health and Hospice

December 2013

One Year with HCF

Pros

It has all the information we need.

Cons

The process to complete simple tasks can be complicated at times.

David from Welcome Homecare

August 2013

I was new to home healthcare. Previsously, I was a tax CPA. As the new CFO, I started to look into document management systems (Spring 2012) to supplement our agency's patient management system. As I became more frustrated with the limitations of our existing patient management system, I expanded my search to include a replacement. When I discovered that HEALTHCAREfirst had componets of a document management system built in, I changed my search to only that for a replacement of our patient management system. I searched the Internet and found eight systems which were cloud based (a requirement for our new system). I reviewed these websites throughly, narrowed my search to four and opened the door for the sales people to descend upon me. One was eliminated farily quickly due to their exorbitant startup and ongoing fees. Another was eliminated as their technology was limited to 'syncing' a hand held device rather than being truly 'real time' connected. I put two companies through repeated web based demonstrations. The salesman at HealthcareFirst (HCF) was outstanding. Knowledgable, responsive, and a frank, upfront person. He freely gave me the benefit of his twenty years in home health systems at various companies. The decision for HCF was made based on their 'soon to be released' iPad version which provided easy to use, real time connections for our nurses in the patient's home; the extensive reports built in; and the overall ease of use and the abilit to import documents into the patient's chart. During the sales process, I also enjoyed the opportunity to interact with others in the HCF organization and I was impressed with their industry knowledge and their willingness to help. We selected the Enterprise Edition and began implementation in July 2012. The iPad version was released later than planned, but that gave us more time to implement and learn the office based parts of the system. We did not use a 'point of care' system previously, and it seemed that every single person in our office used a separate 'self-created' spreadsheet to manage their responsibilities. Initial implementation started well, but faltered badly due to an 'overworked' implementation manager. Fortunately, HCF has an outstanding training team and they quickly rose to the occasion. In particular, Barbara leaped into the void and provided the answers and the direction we required. Ignoring the delay in the iPad system, I think we would say we were fully functional and 'comfortable' in ninety days from the decision date. We did not try to move patients from the old system to the new. Rather, we entered new patients in HCF and let the old system die a natural death. We have been fully operational now for about a year. The system is even better that I had hoped. All the functions work consistently well. The Help Line is always available and we use it often. This is a sophisticated system which does a lot and, as we expand into areas we have not previously used, the Help Line and the extensive HCF online training modules have been a huge help. New employees quickly learn and use the Point of Care functions on their iPads. We also use FirstConnect and Business Intelligence and have praise for both. We are implementing firstCPO (the physician portal) this Fall. I need to get back to work so let me finish with two comments. First, the HCF commitment to continued development of their system is outstanding. Not only am I very happy with the system as is, but I am confident that I made the right decision for the future. We are encouraged to ask for enhancements and our opinions are both sought and valued. Secondly, the HCF commitment to help us in our business is exceptional. Their industry involvement and blog truly demonstrate their commitment to provide home health agencies with total support. Further, I have been able to 'pick the brain' of many vetern home health executives at HCF to help us with management decisions and direction. From the top, VP Staci, to our individual contact, Rita, I could not be more pleased with the access and support our agency has. I fully recommend HealthcareFirst to you. I realize that a review has more creditability if it includes a few negatives as well, but I find it hard to provide any. I mentioned above our 'hiccup' during implementation, but the organization responded so well and has since added new programs in this area that I don't consider it a current negative. I would like more flexibility to design my own reports (remember I am an accountant type), but everything is exportable to Excel so I can make due until a report writer is added to the capabilities.

Kala from Hospital & Health Care

HEALTHCAREfirst

Our agency was a beta site for the mobile app. We found many issues with this and we are not interested in this feature.

Pros

HEALTHCAREfirst is very proactive with preparations for new and upcoming changes and requirements in homecare. They have done an exceptional job of ensuring that new COP requirements are incorporated to the patient health records and OASIS documents. They offer webinars and trainings to keep their clients informed and up to date with these changes. Their customer service and IT staff are available for any problems or questions that arise. I love the instant messenger option for customer service assistance.

Cons

The only problem I have ever had with HEALTHCAREfirst has been the availability of customer service representatives via the instant messenger option during occasions when there is a new feature released and there may be a glitch or a problem with the software. This would potentially cause an excess of clients trying to be assisted at one time. I have never encountered a problem getting through to customer service when I have called in for assistance.

Response from Meghan

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your 5-star review! We work very hard to ensure that our software is ready for any new regulatory requirements, including the new CoPs. In fact, we are working hard to provide additional enhancements to make CoP compliance a breeze for our customers.

Jo from Guthrie County Public Health

Highly Recommend

We have been with Health Care First since 2015. I would highly recommend this software to any home health agency looking for electronic health records. The training we received was great, we had great support staff to work with. We never had a question that they could not answer. Each day we learn something new on health care first that will make us more efficient. The tech support we have access to is wonderful. They are pleasant on the phone, will help you locate the issues, they will even remote in to see that same screen you are seeing. Everyone is assigned a support manager to help you through the journey of learning Health Care First, even after two years of being on the program we still have ours representative. It is nice to know we are not alone trying to figure out the changes or problems we might run into.

Response from Meghan

Replied April 2017

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that our customer service team has taken such great care of you. Thank you for being our customer!

Abraham from A&N Steel Ltd.

Moderate Solution For Moderate Problems

Generally a positive experience though I often found myself missing other software suites like Alora and HHA Exchange.

Pros

HealthCareFirst is a great all-around home care software solution with a moderate amount of features. Customer service is always ready to help and the software itself will definitely allow you to operate a moderate to large size home health or hospice care agency with ease.

Cons

There are definitely many modern competitors that offer more comprehensive features in terms of scheduling and claim editing for home care and hospice care companies.

Kim from Pilgrimage Hospice

Not Hospice Friendly

Pros

entering medications, billing process is easy

Cons

you cannot trend weights, and measurements. The care plan does not flow to the recertification orders (specifics) In order to use the order functionality appropriately you have to purchase another software that is NOT cheap (1500.00 per month and we are a small hospice), Recert tracking tool does not give accurate dates, you have to go through way too many steps and screens to get something to print or to visualize. is more home health based then hospice. When asked for a demo we were told they don't do that and watch a youtube video. Poor customer service.

Mary from Anew Home Health Care

The good, the bad and the ugly.

the customer support team is great. Most specialists will walk you through was incorrect so that you can learn for the next time. Most problems are fixed in minutes.

Pros

That the 485 is generated for you after the completion of the start of care. Care planning is easily created after the charting on each section.

Cons

Scheduling of employees is quite complicated and cumbersome. Doctors orders can be confusing as there are 2 different SAVE buttons and the wrong one will delete your orders.

Response from Meghan

Replied January 2019

Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our world-class customer support team! They strive to resolve issues as quickly and thoroughly as possible. We are glad to hear that you are pleased with their efforts.

Stephanie from Serenity Care Hospice, Inc.

Best EMR Software Out There!

I have had several employees come to work for us who used prior EMR systems and every single one of them have been impressed with Healthcare First and so it is so much more user friendly and easy to navigate.

Pros

Software is user friendly and very easy to navigate. Healthcare First is always at the forefront of being sure that Hospice EMR is compliant with Medicare Regulations along with ACHC/CHAPS regulations. We have been through 2 surveys with this EMR system and both ACHC and Missouri State Surveyors were impressed with our EMR system. We wouldn't have been able to afford any other EMR systems in the beginning due to cost and Healthcare First worked with us and made it very cost effective. Excellent customer service.

Cons

The only issue that I have ever had with Healthcare First was 6 months ago when they merged with another company and changed their billing formats. The first month was difficult but they were so good to get it all fixed within a month and it has been even better than before since then.

Response from Meghan

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your 5 star review! We are so happy to hear that you have found our software to be easy to learn and use while still enabling your agency to maintain regulatory compliance.

Pam from Front Range Hospice & Palliative Care

I have used firstHospice for over 11 years and have no plans on changing!

If you are looking for an affordable, easy to learn, web based hospice EMR that has almost all the bells and whistles on your want list, I would highly recommend you look at this program.

Pros

It is easy to teach. It is easy to use. Our State surveyors love the updated care plan with every Nurse note. It has built in flexibility to allow for agency specific needs by the use of templates that you can embed into notes. It also allows us to upload the consents, advanced directives, pharmacy reviews and anything specific to a patient. This creates a true EMR. If our office dropped into a sink hole, I would still have a complete EMR.

Cons

They are still working on interfaces with other products such as an e-script program, pharmacy PBM, and DME vendors. I trust that it is coming and appreciate the incredible upgrades they have rolled out in the last year. Sometimes their support staff seems to be slow but they are housed in the United States so communication barriers do not exist.

Response from Meghan

Replied September 2017

Thank you for the great review and your partnership with HEALTHCAREfirst! We have some exciting new interfaces and enhancements coming soon to firstHOSPICE that we can’t wait to show you.

Crystal from Community Hospice Care

Great software for front office and clinical staff!

We have been so pleased with the overall benefits of using this software. We have now been through both CMS and Joint Commission surveys and have done well with this software. We hope to continue the positive experience! Thank you : )

Pros

Ease of use, training time is minimal, and system forms can be customized to each provider's needs.

Cons

We were disappointed to learn that we had to choose certain features over others. For example, we had hoped to use the aide documentation feature and the care planning feature but learned that we would be unable to choose both. We are hoping that this will one day be an option. We also hope that the bereavement portion of the software will allow for more detailed care plans. I know that we have been asked to give more information to help with this process and we are grateful to assist in this process.

Response from Meghan

Replied June 2018

Thank you for your review, Crystal. So happy to hear that our software has helped you through surveys. We will continue to work hard to provide you with the tools you need for successs.

John from Transitions Hospice

10 years of great service to our hospice organization

Health care First is a forward thinking organization that has many areas to help a hospice agency with the medical record they also have training when there are regulatory changes. They offer different kinds of training for the overall success of an organization.

Pros

always up to date on regulations. Has good training/instructional information and videos. responsive to needs of the healthcare community. system is easy to use. Forward thinking organization. Seem to continuously work on making the product better. Size of your organization does not matter.

Cons

Sometimes slow to respond to requests for changes. Printing of documents is not consecutive and does not always print all the pages in an assessment.

Response from Meghan

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your 5 star review and thank you for being our customer for so many years. We are pleased to hear that you find our trainings to be an asset to your team.

Tracy from Continuum Care, Inc.

HEATHCARE First has been our partner since 2009!

We use both the Hospice and Home Health programs.

Pros

Ease of Use. User friendly. Excellent reports available. Ability to individualize for our specific needs. Excellent technical support. The Home Health CAREpliance program is excellent since you create the Plan of Care with Problems, Goals and Interventions as you complete the OASIS. Data flows nicely and is logical. Our aides use a mobile tablet so our RNs can get real time updates. Educational training videos are great for orienting new staff and staff needing updates.

Cons

We enjoy HEALTHCare First and the only thing I could want now is the ability to use mobile devices in the field.

Response from Meghan

Replied August 2017

Thank you for your 5-star review and thank you for being our customer for so many years! We look forward to continuing to help your team put patients before paperwork.

Patrick from Providence Home Health & Hospice

User Friendly Software

Overall, a great software compared to many other, Great for our team and what we do!!

Pros

Easy Navigation, Intake process is great, fewer clicks to submitting claims and Report are helpful. Business intelligence is an important tool that helps with QAPI, Billing reconciliations, CMS reports summarized, Scrubbing of the Oasis. Eligibility is an important aspect in the intaking process, HCF makes this easy as the user, we do not need to go to every software to check eligibility.

Cons

Scheduling is a bit tedious. Can not delete or change schedule easily as would like. Field staff have difficulties navigation through schedule.

Response from Meghan

Replied June 2018

We are so happy to hear that our software provides you with the technology you need to run a successful agency. Thank you for being our customer!

David from Ballinger Home Health Inc.

Software that works for me!

This software meets or exceeds my expectations regarding EMR for home health and hospice.

Pros

1. it leads my clinicians to more fully document the patient's condition at the time of visit. 2. HCF is proactive in providing solutions to regulatory compliance. 3. support of the software is timely and helpful. 4. it is affordable for small to mid-size agencies.

Cons

1. management of personnel records is somewhat difficult in the software. 2. management of user access rights to the software is not clearly defined and somewhat difficult to determine what access should be assigned to each user.

Response from Meghan

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review! We are glad to hear that our software has enabled your clinicians to easily and accurately complete their documentation at the point of care.

June 2012

Kristi from Harrison's Hope, Inc.

June 2012

Harrison's Hope is a freestanding, independently owned and operated Hospice only agency that opened in late 2006 and I joined the agency in late 2007 - just before we began utilizing HEALTHCAREfirst. Prior to that our agency used a paper charting system and tried various different "medical" software for face sheets and/or scheduling - none of which worked very well on their own - let alone together in a streamlined fashion. I have worked in the Home Health and Hospice industry for over 11 years now and I have tested and used a multitude of industry software products and I have found - they all come with their flaws as well as benefits from the functionality each one offers. My current role for this agency is the Director of Operations and Compliance. I have found this system to be the one I prefer to use - for many reasons. The biggest reasons I have found is that I frequently see improvements and willingness from the product team to enhance functionality that helps us take better care of our patients. That is what matters most to us. I have seen the product grow with our agency and I don't find it ever "lags" behind our needs. I still feel as though I'm getting one of the "big box software" but without all the enormous costs involved with the "larger" platforms. Often, bigger isn't always better! And, in this case - I have to say - no truer words could be spoken. This software is easy to use for all skill levels (which for our agency is important - our skill levels in regards to technology - span the spectrum) and is easy to teach as well. Occasionally there are those areas that I find need improvements... however, I believe that any vendor can only improve areas that we offer suggestions about so I often ask for additional improvements and eventually I see some variation of my suggestion come to life! It feels great to know our agency helped others improve their operations as well as our own.

helen from claiborne home health

Our agency has been with HCF for many, many, years, I even know some of the employees on a first-name basic, they have always been there when i needed help with any issue. We are very pleased with HCF.

My overall view of HCF is very positive, I would recommend it to anyone, you just have to choose what works for the individual agency.

Pros

HCF is always up to date with any new/upcoming matters from CMS, we especially like the different reports available in order for us to know the amount of monies expected on SOC Assessments.

Cons

Sometimes the nursing staff have problems with the sequence of diagnosis input, the system seems to be too slow for that.

Response from Meghan

Replied June 2018

Thanks for your review! We are happy to have you have as a valued customer for so many years. We look forward to continuing to provide you with solutions to help you succeed in the future!

Curt from Bluebonnet Health Services

August 2013

We have been a client of HealthCare First since June 2010. We chose the First Hospice system as it was a cost effective solution for our hospice agency in our efforts to replace our paper processes. We were so pleased that we upgraded to the Enterprise Edition in September 2012 to enable more features and functionality. We were completely electronic (though we still had to scan some of our own agency specific forms and attached them to the patient records). This year, HealthCare First launched the best enhancement yet with the new document creator, which allows us to create our own forms. It is a very user friendly system and live. We can create the new document/form and use immediately. We are in the process of creating an electronic version of every agency specific form we use. We now have the best of both worlds - system standard forms and our agency specific forms - being fully electronic. The only scanning we do is for medical records or lab/test results. In our IDT meetings, there are no papers being passed around or charts being rolled around on a cart. Our staff is signed on to their laptops and we discuss patients using the most current data available. In August 2013, we began using First Connect. First Connect is our access to Medicare DDE and Eligibility verification system. It replaced a more expensive competitor and provides easier access and the reports are more user friendly. And finally, if we do need assistance HealthCare First is always responsive, whether it is from the easy chat function or calling the support line. I would like to see the functionality to have tabular screens so that we could toggle from one patient area to another. For example, have the insurance screen open and also the billing screen at the same time. We consider HealthCare First as our patient care partner.

Katy from Angmar Medical

October 2012

We have been a client of Healthcare First for over 9 years. When we first began on Healthcare First we were a small Home Health agency with a few locations in Texas. We have now grown to over 9 states with 63 offices and Healthcare First has been right there with us through it all. Although implementation did take us over a year because of the size and number of locations it was a very easy transition and the offices learned the new product quickly. Each location was able to learn the new product in very little time and that allowed us to move to the next location quickly. Without such a user friendly product I don’t think we would have been able to switch as many offices as we did in such a short amount of time. As we have continued to use the HCF 1st homecare product we have seen it improve month by month to add new features (including ones that we were able to suggest ourselves) and this has really just made an already great product better. They are always open to feedback from their agencies and are willing to help and support in any way they can. We are now in the beginning of implementing POC in our locations and again HCF was right there with us to help us with this transition and make sure we are as successful as possible using their products. We are currently using the 1sthomecare product for full Oasis/485/Scheduling/Billing/Orders/Tracking and are also using the Business Intelligence product for reporting on our statistics and claims. We also utilize HCF billing for our insurance claims. I can’t speak highly enough of the team at HCF and their willingness to stand by and support our company every step of the way! Our company is very thankful to have a software product that can grow with us, support us and help us move forward in Home Health's ever changing environment.

Rose from Out source coding/oasis agency

One location for all documentation and files

New upgrade coming this year offering excellent improvement in all areas and even better ease to use.

Pros

Cons

Start up glitches, changes diagnosis at each oasis assessment and erases previous diagnosis (would rather it show diagnosis for all oasis assessment and just add new).

Response from Meghan

Replied May 2017

Thanks for your 5-star review! We are so pleased you are happy with our software and we look forward to continuing with even more features and functionality in the future!

LUIS from LCG Billing Services LLC

Hospice ready and user friendly.

I have used this software for a few years and it has been great. Went through a few audits and they went smoothly thanks to the readiness of the software and very useful reports. This software is hospice ready and does not require for you to set it up, so there is no time wasted figuring out what else is required. Customer service is always available and ready to help. Even when they don't have the answer right away, customer service always calls back with an answer to a workaround to the problem. I recommend this software to all my clients.

Response from Meghan

Replied April 2017

Wow! Thanks for your 5-star review and thank you for recommending our software to your clients.

Brad from Abbey Road Hospice

User friendly

Easy to learn and train employees

Pros

Ease of navigation and documentation flow Keeps pace with ongoing Medicare regulations Web based so updates are no problem and can be accessed any where unlike software based systems

Cons

Reports seem to require a lot of filtering to get basic information otherwise some reports will not report accurately on a basic level

Response from Meghan

Replied June 2018

Thank you for review! We are glad that you find our software easy to use and that it helps you ensure regulatory compliance.

Rhi from Madison Home Care and Hospice

The most horrible experience I could imagine. We would rather be on paper and use crayons.

A learning experience about getting what you pay for....we are a small agency and couldn't afford anything good.

Cons

Everything is a CON. I can't even print a basic plan of care for my hospice patients. No, I'm not kidding, really. And every time a nurse/PT/OT/ST is in the field trying to "save" their charting, it is lost forever. They have still not resolved this problem on their end. Such a disappointment...and the customer service is terrible too. For example, every time we call, we wait at LEAST 30 minutes, and then they can never actually help you. I'm so sorry I ever found this waste of money for our teams!!!! A customer service person actually said to me, "We have 30,000 customers. I don't have time to help you." Well, you won't have that for long like this! So pathetic. I spoke with a "client success manager" today, and even she was rude and condescending. AND GET THIS: WE WERE NOT ABLE TO BILL ANYONE FOR FIVE MONTHS!!!!!

Response from HealthCare First

Replied September 2017

Thank you for your review. We aim to deliver products that meet the needs of all of our customers and we are sorry to hear that you are unhappy. We understand that you are working with our Client Services team so we may learn more about your agency¿s experience in order to address and resolve any issues. We are aware that our customers are currently experiencing longer than usual hold times and are currently working to resolve this issue. We encourage you to take advantage of the number of additional ways you can contact customer support, including email and online chat.

Aimee from Parkview Home Health

Software Review

Pros

Knowledgeable customer service reps!! Always willing to help! If they don't know it, they will find out for you. Great report options for the back office. Get all the alerts you need to keep up to date on deadlines!

Cons

May take a little time for some issues with programming for the tech to get back in touch with you. Only has happened 2x in 2.5 years that the call back time was more than a few days.

Kelly from Parkview Hospital Home Health Agency

Great software!

Pros

Knowledgeable customer service reps!! If they don't know it, they will find out for you. Great report options for the back office. Get all the alerts you need to keep up to date on deadlines!

Mindy from State Of the Heart Care

It's all about the implementation

On-site training is a must and building that relationship with our project manager and training has really paid off. It is a team effort to make these types of changes successful. Glad we found a partner and not just another vendor.

Pros

The implementation and support is amazing. Any software change is a challenge but I never thought we had to look at our processes. The HEALTHCAREfirst team forced us to look at all our processes and realign them to strengths of the software. They explained that new software by itself isn't going to show you huge ROI. It's about changing your delivery and maximizing the process.

Cons

At First they didn't have the interfaces we needed to third party vendors but they have built them now.

Response from Meghan

Replied April 2017

Thank you for your 5-star review and thank you for being our customer!

Melissa from KCCMH Home Health and Caring Hands Hospice

Cumbersome, time consuming and expensive

Poor value for money. Am glad to transition to new software

Pros

Can be personalized for agency needs (narratives), does have billing suite inside of software, good color scheme

Cons

Billing drops off bills and they get lost until they are untimely SOC takes hours for most clinicians to complete The new Care Planning process is not easily navigated There is poor lookback capability for reviewing previous notes Sign/Completion dates on orders will randomly delete Constant updates that create yet new problems LONG wait times for customer service

Response from Meghan

Replied November 2018

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you find our software doesn’t meet the needs of your agency. We would love to chat with you about your experience so we can learn more.

Ginger from Madison Home Care and Hospice

DON'T DO IT

Pros

I'm not having to deal with filing and a paper chart. I can communicate with all my staff through this email system.

Cons

We couldn't bill for 6 months because they were changing their billing system. When you call for support you are on hold for extremely long periods of time. The disconnect point of care often list documents or data. Syncing was often very time comsuming and would fail more often than not. We were expecting interventions and goals to flow into the visits notes but you spend all your time doing a copy and paste.

Response from Meghan

Replied August 2017

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that our software has eliminated the need for paper charting and filing and has facilitated communication among staff. We aim to provide enhancements to our products that improve the user experience without interruption to your workflow and we are very sorry to hear that you experienced issues. We understand that you are working with our Client Services team so we may learn more about your agency’s experience and address your concerns.

Jenell from Madison Home Care and Hospice

We are new to EMR. Hospice is new to HCF. The staff does not seem to understand how their hospice EMR works either.

Cons

The support staff is non-existent. I have held for over 45 minutes only to get someone on the phone who doesn't even know their product. Our training was inadequate. Meandering through a chart is cumbersome. There are so many "clicks" just to print a med list it's ridiculous. A lot of scrolling with everything - nothing fits - I'm getting a larger monitor so I can scroll less. I don't have another EMR to compare to, but I would not recommend this one at all.

Response from Meghan

Replied August 2017

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear that you experiencing issues with the software. We understand that our client services team is currently working with your agency’s management team to better understand these issues so that we may address and resolve them. We are aware that our customers are currently experiencing longer than usual hold times and are currently working to resolve this issue. We encourage you to take advantage of the number of additional ways you can contact customer support, including email and online chat.

melvie from St. Maries

HealthCare first

Pros

The software does a great job tackling many of the survey action items. Staff is very friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Customer service ie. tech support help does not exist. There are extended wait times and sometimes days before someone responds.

Response from Meghan

Replied August 2017

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you find our software to be great value for the money while helping your agency manage survey action items! We are aware that our customers are currently experiencing longer than usual hold times and are diligently working on a resolution so they can enjoy the rapid response times they’ve come to expect from us. You are also encouraged to take advantage of the additional ways that you can contact customer support, including email and online chat.

Brian from Washington Regional

Disappointing and poorly designed with no healthcare workers in mind.

Would not recommend to anyone. Please believe me. I do not work for another software company I am a field clinician that uses this software daily.

Cons

The sync time is baffling despite their saying it should take less than 10 minutes. Errors are encountered daily and support has to be contacted regarding those daily. Everything requires multiple clicks, even to open an email takes two different clicks. Tons of area's where character limit is 25 which is less than one sentence so a waste of space in the first place. Things entered disappear all of the time and it times out on you EVEN WHEN YOU ARE TYPING A SENTENCE! Why!? There are so many negatives that I could go on for pages. Productivity is very poor due to poor functionality and the requirement to perform 3 steps for everything that should be one step. Baffling!

Response from Meghan

Replied August 2017

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that you enjoy the flexibility of working online or offline as we believe that this is a very important feature for users. We aim to deliver products that meet the needs of all of our customers and we are sorry to hear that you are unhappy. We understand that our SVP of Client Services is working with your agency’s management team to better understand these issues so that we may address and resolve them. We are looking forward to working together to ensure that everyone at your agency has a positive user experience.

Genevieve from First Choice Home Health

Unforgivable Mistakes

We would not recommend and are very disappointed with the entire experience.

Pros

Cons

We contracted to have HCF do all our billing. Mistakes were made, and many red flags were missed by HCF billers resulting in a huge backlog in receivables. When we finally cut our losses with HCF by not renewing our year-long contract we discovered claims that were never followed up on and more mistakes. We have since hired a billing company to comb through all the accounts where HCF made egregious errors ... and we are paying them to do so, resulting in us having to pay twice to get these outstanding claims resolved. It has been a financial disaster for us! Additionally our staff of nurses and therapists found the user interface not to be intuitive to use. There were constant problems with our staff understanding how HCF is should supposed to work as well as the execution of the software to do what was promised.

Response from Meghan

Replied May 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We continuously strive to deliver products and services that enable our customers to succeed and we are sorry to hear that we did not meet your needs. We would be happy to discuss this matter with your further if you would like to reach out to us at 800.841.6095.

August 2016

Russell from Calvert Home Health Care, Ltd.

Why Look Anywhere Else?

Pros

Product is very user-friendly. We've been a long-standing user of Patron POC and switched over to HealthCareFirst in May 15'. Once our clinical team grasped the new features, they've never been happier.

Cons

You could say this about all the products in this category, it doesn't have our full wish list, but they are receptive to our requests, and we constantly see additions that continue to enhance the product.

Jeff from Paradigm Living Concepts

HEALTHCAREfirst. A+

Pros

We are a newer agency in Indiana that specializes in Home Health, Hospice, & Nurse Practitioner-driven Palliative Care. Upon beginning operations, we were committed to implementing electronic recordkeeping from day one. Certainly, two key factors were functionality and cost. After reviewing several products, we were sold on HEALTHCAREfirst! It provided everything we needed for all three lines of operations. It's also web-based, user-friendly, and extremely cost effective. Since implementing, we have also found the training and staff of HEALTHCAREfirst to be very helpful!

Cons

There is really nothing that we are concerned with.

Carl from Jch Inc. Golden Services

My most reliable employee

Pros

It never calls in sick, does not take smoke breaks, and rarely has a bad attitude. Seriously, I like the support and functionality of the program. Support listens and is constantly fixing or upgrading the things I need. I also like that I have access to important information from anywhere I can get a connection. There are multiple things about this program that assist every employee in completing their job in an efficient manner, which meets the extensive regulations necessary to the changing requirements we are faced with.

Cons

I would like to see Working lists. I would like to see a bit more flexibility in order to use this program in other areas of business, such as Private Pay and other outlier areas of business other than Medicare.

Krista from ETHH & ETM

STOP!!!

This is not what you want to use. My staff went to work for HCF. Hours were wasted online training. This software requires dedicated staff to set and watch videos almost daily.

Pros

Sales. The Sales department is the only group that knows anything. This entire software, from development to account receivable departments, is not what any agency needs.

Cons

This product purchased Patron. Do not be fooled. This is the worse mistake I have made in 22 years of business.

Response from Meghan

Replied August 2017

Thank you for your review. We strive to provide exceptional products and services that meet the needs of all of our customers and we are sorry to hear that you were not pleased. While not often, sometimes our products may not be the best fit for an agency. We understand that you are working directly with our SVP of Client Services so we may learn more about your personal experience and address your concerns.

Ben from J&J Home Care

Used for 10 years

Pros

Ease of use. Has done everything I want it to do for 10 years. Intuitive.

Lynette from Serenity Hospice and Home

Serenity Hospice and Home

Pros

HEALTHCAREfirst has been very responsive in creating easy-to-use solutions to the many changes in Healthcare compliance and regulations. I do not worry when new requirements come along because I know this vendor will help us with a timely release of necessary changes to the software.

Cons

We continue to struggle with the Bereavement module. In an effort to integrate our bereavement program with the information already captured in HEALTHCAREfirst, we migrated our processing to HEALTHCAREfirst over a year ago. We have had ongoing problems with the accuracy of our mailings and call lists.

October 2014

John from Advantage Home Health Care, Inc.

HEALTHCAREfirst

Pros

The Business Intelligence reporting is great! It's very easy to run the reports to track episodes, payments, and what needs to be cleaned up for billing. The System itself for charting has an easy flow to it that our healthcare professionals are able to pick up very quickly. The training modules provided greatly assist with this process.

Cons

HEALTHCAREfirst does not have a payroll function for tracking all staff, which is a little disappointing (e.g., Healthcare, Administrative, and Sales). This would make sense to be a complete, all-inclusive product.

Melissa from 24 Hour Care, LLC

Easy to learn

Pros

easy navigation Business Intelligence tracking Scheduling is easier for long-term scheduling Software tracks staff days off and wont let you schedule

Cons

Payroll/productivity reports are lacking certain filters and missing information Scheduled visits do not update with the Actual visit times when printing off schedule

Response from Meghan

Replied November 2017

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that you find our software easy to navigate and are glad that you find Business Intelligence to be a valuable tool for your agency.

Joye from Minidoka Home Health

We like HEALTHCAREfirst!

Pros

HEALTHCAREfirst's staff members are very personable and reasonable. The cost is reasonable. I especially like the legislative webinars, Blogs, and information we receive. We are well informed and kept up to date on a very regular basis. Thank you HEALTHCAREfirst for keeping me up to date in such a busy, ever-changing environment with CMS!

Cons

Home Health and Hospice are easily integrated. Program access is easy; it follows general rules for the flow of the chart.

Teresa from Shepard's Crook Home Health

October 2012

For those of you interested in using HealthCare First software (HCF), let me encourage you to choose them. We have used them in the home health industry for almost 25 years. Yep. Started out in DOS. We have experienced lots of changes together. And HCF was the leading software vendor for all those changes. (I know this because I called around to other vendors to see if they were ready.) HCF is always ready when CMS makes their changes. When we get confused, HCF has multiple ways to contact support and, our issues, although few and far between, get resolved quickly. Their development team openly encourages future enhancements and relays those enhancements with an annual users conference. Whether you're ready for an all electronic health record, still totally hard copy or somewhere inbetween, HealthCare First should be your choice of software vendors.

Clay from Western Summit Rehabilitation

I'm not a huge fan of this system

This system makes you jump through a lot of hoops to document basic tasks. Many of the clinical forms are well written and complete.

Pros

Therapy notes are very complete and allow documentation of functional impact of your Plan of Care.

Cons

Long-time users like this system but newer users often get lost in the maze-like pages and pages needed for each clinical note. The time to document individual notes is ridiculous. Once in a while the system actually looses a note and it takes a long time to re-create it.

Response from Meghan

Replied February 2017

Thank you for the positive comment about our clinical documentation being well written and complete. While we understand your concerns regarding documentation time, regulatory compliance is a top priority of our customers and we have developed our software with that in mind. Our comprehensive system ensures a thorough initial assessment and our built-in compliance auditor ensures that all corresponding documentation matches the plan of care.

Pam from Connally Memorial Home Health

August 2013

Our agency is a hospital based home health agency that has an active census of about 65 patients. Healthcarefirst approached us regarding upgrading from Lewis Promt to their POC system Home Care enterprise edition. We sat through the presentation and listened to numerous promises that the software could do. We were sold with the initial demonstration. We signed contracts and went live soon after. After the first two days of trying the system, we came to soon realize this system was not easy to use. We began to see all the glitches, and the obvious inexperience of the software creator to the actual home health market. The sytem is not user friendly, and there are too many things that this sytem does not do! This agency is equipped with capable young nurses that are not intimidated by technology. If we could rewind time, we would have not chose this system!! With every question we have, Healthcare first replies "we can recommend that be an enhancement" or "no, the system is not designed to do that". You have to go through so many steps to do one thing. The system cant even print an active patient list wihout you having to export to an excel spreadsheet. We could go on and on about the issues we have with HealthcareFirst. So, if your looking for a home health software, I recommend to keep on looking! I didn't even touch on the billing aspect; that in itself is inadequate in accounting practices.

Barb from AZ Hospice

Healthcare First is Always here for us

Pros

Very easy to navigate. If I get stuck, there is always someone available either on line or by phone to help me out. The charting is easy and less time consuming than previous software I have used. I also have the Solutions Suite and it adds another layer of checks and balances and helps us to stay in compliance.

Cons

I haven't found anything yet, but there is a slight problem with the software jumping. Example is Activities of daily living. If you check transferring, it will jump to the top of the page before you can put in the percentage of the patient's dependency.

Eric from CHANS Home Health & Hospice

Reviewed as part of due diligence for home health & hospice systems

Pros

Cloud based, mobile enabled system that overall had good functionality on the clinical side of the house.

Cons

Some concerns arose around Private Duty documentation flow that could affect how we run payroll and how the QAPI tools work to support our process.

Response from Meghan

Replied August 2017

Thank you for your positive review. We are very excited about our new CAREpliance care planning technology that will give your agency even more clinical functionality by guiding your clinicians through documentation requirements at the point of care to ensure compliance while simplifying the process. If you haven’t checked it out, we encourage you to do so!

Lisa from Talbot Hospice

Poor social work content

Like all the Hospice Software I've seen, it is a shame the designers didn't consult with NHPCO to understand what would be useful for social work content. Generally speaking, this one is not intuitive, with many steps that easily cause errors. One simple example: Why would there be no way to alert staff that they haven't completed and signed an order?

Pros

The basic accessibility of all products: remote access at any time.

Cons

Easy to make mistakes. Poor content for social work.

Response from Meghan

Replied February 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that the ability to access firstHOSPICE from anywhere at any time is important for faster, more compliant clinical documentation. Users are able to track documents that are not completed, locked, or signed through a feature in firstHOSPICE called 'Doc Tracking'. This allows them to review what needs to be addressed, quickly and easily.

Peggy from Serenity Hospice and Home

November 2014

Have been a user for the past 6 years.

Pros

It meets the needs of nursing, billing, and administration. They have been very responsive to all the regulatory changes in hospice care. They have good webinars for training on new functions. We have not had any rejections of HIS data.

Cons

Some reports are too rigid. We're unable to customize. HCF says an ad hoc reporting feature is coming.