• Pros

• "Easy to use and integrate with and great customer service."

• "What I like most about this software is it is extremely easy and quick to use. The response is quick unless there is an issue with the person I am looking into."

• "Easy to use, simple for users, quick and easy software "

• Cons

• "Their API documentation was a little lacking, although they've made some improvements and emails are quickly answered."

• "There really isn't anything that I would say is missing. "

• "Sometimes it is not clear at what stage the applicant is at Did they submit?"

Browse Certn Reviews

Sharla from David Aplin Group

Ease of Use and Fast

We use this for some candidate background and criminal recorded checks. It's very easy as the administrator to send out, and our customers seem to be able to follow directions with ease. It's a great system.

Pros

This program is easy, fast, inexpensive, and has great customer service. If the receiver of the request follows the instructions, it's easy and fast for them to complete as well.

Cons

I have not had any issues. This program is easy to follow.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

We still have the Mintz accounts, but Certn is easier and less expensive

Derrick from Tidy Technologies Inc.

Increase price without notice

It is good because I like the fact that they don’t take my money I prepaid if I don’t use their service for a while . Onfindo and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] take your money if you don’t use your prepayment . So in a long term certn is good if you loaded a lot of prepayment to use as needed

Pros

Easy to send a resend user request to verify and the simplicity of soft check . Prepayment of my funds don’t get taken like Jumio and Onfido

Cons

Not mobile friendly on mobile app, verifying email can be added multiple time without validation that the email has already been verified. You loose money doing double verification if you don’t track on your own

They do the same as Onfido . You loose your money after 1 year

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Their terms and conditions were not favorable to start up . Thé collect $10,000 from you and if in one year you used only $2,000 they take the rest of the money .

Cristina from PGH Wong Engineering, Inc.

Industry: Civil Engineering

Good for International Background Checks

Overall it works well enough for what we need and though it can take a bit of back and forth, customer service is always nice, helpful and does their best to resolve the problem. However, given that our primary background check service syncs with our HRIS (very important to us), and is a great service in itself we won't be fully switching over anytime soon.

Pros

I like that we are able to run international background checks, we use Certn for background checks for candidates who are moving from other countries or who have recently moved from another country to the US.

Cons

It takes a very long time for the background checks to be completed, it's not always clear why something takes long or a portion was unable to be completed. I have received information that Certn was unable to verify that I was easily able to verify afterward. And I don't love that we don't know the cost until after the background check is run.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

Our primary background check service is GoodHire we are very happy with their system and service, however they do not do international background checks at this time. They referred us to Certn in order to run international background checks.

Rachel from Firepower Capital

Easy to use, cost effective check for on-boarding employees

Cost saving and convenient service. We source it initially for creditor background check, now we use it for our own HR on-boarding check.

Pros

The user interface is easy to use and aesthetically pleasing. The checks come through pretty fast (most case the checks came back in 2hrs after initial request) and email notifications get sent when a check is completed. Their check covers a variety of database and sanction list and geographies : including Criminal record, public safety, public court record, and global sanction list. Added bonus is that they also included the social media profile for candidates, although we are not making decision based on the social media presence, it's something good to have there. MOST IMPORTANT: it's cost effective. No monthly subscription. It's pay as you go. Way more cheaper compared to traditional background check for low volume user They also have a very good custom service team, answering questions whenever needed.

Cons

I wouldn't say it's my least favorite, however because the way how they charge their service is: Basic check + add on checks. ( some of the add-on checks can get expensive), so the user need to understand the differences and value of the add-on check and choose add-on service appropriately.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

Fama checks social media only, and doesn't cover the broad list I want to check against

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Certn offer cost saving and convenient service.

Samara from Bench Accounting

Great service

Certn has been great! We've had exceptional customer service with them, and the few times an issue has popped up they've been so quick to help out. They definitely value their customers and provide an excellent overall experience

Pros

Certn has been easy to use, competitive with their pricing, and has a very quick turn around!

Cons

I can't think of anything in particular that's not working well! We have had a few issues with the integration in our ATS but as soon as we've reached out to Certn, they've fixed it quickly.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Cost & customer service experience with Checkr. As a Canadian client, we had a lot of issues with them, and it took ages to get any assistance. They were also increasing their price and turnaround for checks took days, versus with Certn it takes a few hours at most!

Breanna from Dotted Line Consulting

Certn Review

Certn is amazing! Their support team is very efficient and prompt to respond to any questions or issues I've experienced. Certn is a "no-brainer" to use to completed background, credit or educational checks and would highly recommend to any company looking for quick turnaround times.

Pros

Certn was extremely easy to set up and use. It is very user friendly and easy to teach others on my team how to use and add them as users on our company account. It is very quick and able to yield results much quicker than other providers.

Cons

I have no encountered any issues to comment on.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

We started using another provider and I was approached by the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of Certn. After using a trial, it was very easy to make the switch.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Quicker turnaround time and user-friendliness.

Brad from Grid Group

Exactly what we needed

Pros

Incredibly easy to use. Great user experience.

Cons

Haven’t had any issues to date. Have only used pretty basic functions.

No others considered

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Spoke with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and felt it was worth giving a new product a chance

Susy from ATB Financial

Changing providers

We may still be in our "honeymoon phase" with our relationship with Certn but based on what we have seen from the very beginning to now I don't expect anything to change except for the better! They are always seeking to understand how or where they can be better and no matter who you speak with they are ready to action and support in whatever way they can.

Pros

The ease of integration not only with our tools and tech that we currently use but also the ability to have direct connection with the Certn teams. They continue to deliver in the same fashion - as though we were potential clients vs a long standing client...whether it's the Account Representative, support or technical fixes they are fast, responsive and willing to learn how to be better!

Cons

We had some trickies trying to fully integrate into our ATS and ran into some limitations from both sides but they made it work to the best ability - even here Certn's team connected with the ATS tech teams to try and solution our situation and even though it didn't fully work they made it work the best it could.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Not only did the service become very difficult to connect with anyone from their company - support, account manager/rep or whoever. They never had an answer and then our candidates were having massive issues that they were never willing or able to help them...they would just send them to us. Also, the results that they provided significantly decreased in the quality...also not adhering to our requirements for employment - such as references ONLY from supervisory references.

Shima from Procom

Great speedy service

Since using Certn, I have been very happy, the service is easy to use as well as fast. We don't need to wait a long time to get results, they reach out to obtain and further information or clarification needed directly. My mind is at ease when using their services. I also really appreciate the friendly service, when I have had questions in the very beginning, the online help was easy and quick to use. Also I've had someone reach out to me to clarify things with me that would be best for our organisation so its really appreciated that they care about the user. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the team have been nothing but easy and friendly to work with, feels like you are a team and these days customer service really means a lot and I thank them for making my job easier in that respect. Huge shout out to the whole team!

Pros

What I like most about the software is that it is very user friendly, there is no guess work and I can easily submit someone and choose the services I need. Recently I also created a package as I use the same services frequently. Again very easy to easy and the results are fast!

Cons

Honestly, there I nothing that I don't like, personally I have not had any issues with the software and the use of the system.

New user

Pros

The speed and ease of use is unmatched.

Cons

There are some areas in a background check where other providers provide more information.

Dina from Matchmg

Certn Review

My experience has been awesome from quick response to any queries or expansion on data

Pros

Cons

Sometimes it is not clear at what stage the applicant is at Did they submit?

Reasons for Switching to Certn

It was very slow, awful service and we did nto receive bang for our buck

Tara from TVH Parts Co.

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

Fast & Efficient Without Compromising Quality

When I was hired with TVH, they required everyone to physically go into a police station, wait in line, and then the turn around time is typically anywhere from 3 hours to 3 weeks time to receive a copy of an individual CRC for employment. I had used Crtn previously at another workplace to provide my CRC, and went to corporate HR to discuss whether we could do this instead and have it funded by our company as I was slightly off put by making an employee pay for their own prior to even being employed here. I proposed it to my partner at our North American head office in the U.S. - and the people who helped us still randomly check on us to ensure that we are not encountering difficulties.

Pros

Results are quick. When you have applicants who must provide a CRC for employment purposes, the last thing that you want to have as a recruiter is a long complicated process. It is both quick on the employer side and candidate side. It is user friendly from both sides as well. There is access 24/7; no time constraints.

Cons

There really isn't anything that I would say is missing.

Accessibility. Efficiency.

Ben from Kognitive

Revolutionized our background check workflow

Relatively easy implementation into our workflow through their API. We were able to eliminate almost all human involvement in our background check process and speed up turnaround times compared to our previous vendor where everything was done manually.

Pros

Fully automated process if you set up your workflow properly.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Our previous vendor required everything to be done manually. We had a team who's responsibility it was to monitor who needed to get a background check, retrieve their documents, manually upload them to the vendor, then check every day to see if the results were ready. Certn eliminated all of that. We now programatically do everything and the only manual involvement is in reviewing cases that are flagged.

Tayjah from Jones Healthcare Group

Industry: Packaging and Containers

Great and affordable system

We have mostly enjoyed our experience with Certn, and when we didn't, their customer service team did their best to rectify it within a very reasonable time. I would recommend Certn to any business.

Pros

I like that this software is easy to use but that it also has a very human element to it. It was a proven good choice when I received feedback from a CANDIDATE, who was going into detail about how helpful the system was when it was running the employment verification checks.

Cons

The SoftCheck could be improved. In this case, users need to choose what they want: affordability or reliability. Certn's SoftCheck is affordable, but I don't think it does a better job than me taking a quick look through the candidate's social media pages. You might as well save that cost and do it yourself or pay big bucks to have a private investigator do the online work for you.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

I compared many products to Certn (too many to list, sorry!), some were local and some were brand names in this industry (Sterling). There are big price tags on other products that are doing roughly the same thing, but Certn being a smaller company still has that great customer service that sometimes gets lost with the bigger companies. Certn helped us customize our experience because we needed something other companies weren't interested in. They did this in less than a day, and it is what has kept us loyal.

Steve from Paladin Security

CERTN Review

The speed of references responses for our candidates is great and helps get our candidates working quicker. It also frees up our time to focus on direct hiring.

Pros

The speed of service is great. We get responses back from references the same day. This makes transitioning the new hire into the organization seamless. Also the response from CERTN support is fast and very helpful.

Cons

At times knowing why the candidate is still analyzing. Often it is due to not being able to verify the pictures. It would be helpful for us, as recruiters, to know this, so we can help the candidate quicker.

Simon from Procom

Procom

Overall our experience has been great, everyone seems to really like the tool. Outside of my experience above, I'd have nothing to complain about.

Pros

I like the user experience, especially for the incoming resources. No longer have to ask them to report to Canada Post

Cons

My major issue with the software is the grading system for credit review. We have SLA's with clients to ensure we report credit issues, an amber score with a seemingly arbitrary letter grading makes it very difficult for my team to decide what should be escalated and what shouldn't. The result, they end up on my desk and I don't have time to review, I need a pass fail. One of my clients is suggesting we revert to our previous provider to avoid.

Cecile from Procom

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Great product and easy to use

Pros

We are getting results for the backcheck really fast, when we used to wait at least 24hrs before with other softwares

Cons

Having a dashboard that is customizable would be great - we have different people on the team using the software for an array of clients, and being able to only see the status of the ones they initiated would be helpful

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Faster processing time and cheaper product

Jacqueline from Paladin Security

Certn

Over all the experience is good! [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is always such a great help if I need help with anything. shes always quick and efficient.

Pros

I like that it saves me from having to email the candidates references, it saves me time. It also save my management team time as they no longer have to spend time doing background checks

Cons

I don't like the way its set up, you can't just scroll through to the next candidate, and when you try to go back to the previous page it resets and takes you to the first page. That part is a little annoying.

Kendra from Strano Property Management

Certn’ly simple

Easy to use and customer service is always willing to help, simple interface !

Pros

Easy to use, simple for users, quick and easy software

Cons

$10 to upgrade each application can be costly

Ashley from Baird & Warner

Certn Is a Great Quality for the Price

Certn has a great team and wonderful customer service in the event you need assistance.

Pros

I love that Certn allows us to brand our background checks and makes it easy for the new hire to complete the necessary information. As a talent acquisition professional, I pay close attention to our hiring and onboarding process and it's the little things that make a huge impact. Certn makes it easy for a small to mid-sized company to customize their reporting needs without having to commit to a large quantity of checks.

Cons

Some of our local counties are not digital so the background checks can take longer to get back. In the event that happens, I have to continuously log in to check if it's come back and follow up myself with Certn. There are also some small glitches that they need to work through.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Originally we switched because the pricing was slightly better. But once we did, we realized the product and customer service was better as well.

Mark from Rentfaster.ca Inc

Excellent Product and Customer Service

Pros

Easy to use and integrate with and great customer service.

Cons

No really dislikes in regards to the product

Zed from RentPERKS

Informative, fast, easy to use

Pros

Adds data to the standard equifax reports, good interface, support staff are easy to access.

Cons

Hard to say, it’s serving all needs. Perhaps a way to sort results by location would also help, or sub folders

Better data.

Wanted more data. Got it with CERTN

Savannah from Strano Property Management

SPM - Review of Certn

Pros

easy for our applicants to use, very quick system.

Cons

paying for EACH upgrade for credit upgrade

Michelle from David Aplin Group

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Comments

As a company, we are very happy with with this product

Pros

I like the speed of the results and the various options. Haven't used Soft Check as concerned that there is no consent required by the candidate.

Cons

The speed of results from the RCMP report is excellent but is it totally accurate; this is the question I am asked frequently. As the above soft check seems a great tool but with no consent required by the candidate may leave us open to question.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

Cost but I liked the people at Certn they seemed genuine and honest.

Cost and service

Lan from Procom Consultants Group Ltd.

Certn - Calgary Office review

We have been using another service provider to conducts our criminal record checks and since using Certn a couple of months ago. We have been Certn for almost all of our checks with the exception of doing a credit check.

Pros

* ease of use * no IDs required to be uploaded to the system * no data entry required * received results in a couple of hours * easy to read the report

Cons

* no cons from our end * only issue is we would like to be able to initiate credit checks, credit scores, and credit inquiries

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Easy to use and very quick to get results back. We are not 100% done with Sterling BackCheck yet because they have other checks they can provide where Certn cannot.

Charles from Paladin Security

CertN Review

The service has amazing customer service. The staff reply within an hour most of the time. Shout out to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]

Pros

The software is easy to manage with easy display of information.

Cons

The software leaves a lot of room for user error and can delay some applications

Mathew from Dentsu Aegis Network Canada

Fantastic Product!

Fantastic!

Pros

I love everything! We were searching for a new pre-employment vendor that would help reduce wait times and lower costs while maintaining a positive candidate experience and we chose Certn. The experience from the beginning has been phenomenal and the feedback from my team and candidates has been nothing but positive since the beginning.

Cons

There are features that are missing and/or can be improved. However, any feedback that I have given has and is taken into consideration for future product updates.

Patrick from Panache Ventures

The best way to do background checks

Great team, great product.

Pros

Certn allows us to run comprehensive background checks in just minutes, and results come back in 15 minutes, not days - which is how the long the process takes takes the competition. The interface is great for both us and the person we are running the background check on - the simple, easy-to-understand interface means candidates can grant permissions quickly, and speed the process up for everyone.

Cons

Nothing that I can think of at this moment....

Jason from Commercial Cleaning Services

Industry: Environmental Services

New Service for us

It was a good experience.

Pros

I like the ease of use of it. We like the price. The turn around time is better than our previous provider.

Cons

There was nothing that I can think of currently .

Reasons for Switching to Certn

We switched for a few reason. Your service was better priced. It seemed to have a quicker turn around time and we used to work with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] at her prior job and really worked well with her so that sealed the deal.

Nicole from University of Calgary

Truly disruptive software in the background check industry

The Certn team is exceptional in terms of customer service and responsiveness, wonderful experience working with them.

Pros

Fast, easy, inexpensive, accurate and great customer support

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't like and the team is very receptive to making customer suggested changes.

Lexi from Footprints Security

Very good!

Pros

The system is very user friendly, and the results are quick.

Cons

If a candidate stops replying the process seems to end, would like to see more follow-up with unresponsive candidates.

Debra from Fully Managed Inc.

Great software

From the initial booking of a demo and ongoing, Certn has been great to work with.

Pros

The set up was easy, I like the different checks that can be performed.

Cons

We set up a package but it does not automatically default to the package when we submit a background check.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Canadian company, more check options.

Marsha from Procom

Back check review

Pros

It is user friendly, very easy to maneuver. The final results are very detailed oriented when compare to others

Cons

I cannot think of anything that needs improvement.

Marna from 4Refuel Canada LP

Industry: Oil & Energy

Good, I am happy with the service.

Pros

Easy to use and is pretty quick, customer support with [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been excellent. She is quick and gets back to me right away.

Cons

The process was easy. It is easy to use.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Cost and the option to use one provider for backcheck and references.

Ryan from ClaraCo Properties

Efficient & Thorough

Certn has been great to work with and very responsive and friendly when needing help.

Pros

Not only does certn save time in the application process, but it also provides a very thorough report for vetting.

Cons

Only con is the need to set up a separate application for each property. It would be great if applicant could input “property applying for” & “rent amount”. Just for ease of set up.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Mainly for the efficiency of tenants submitting application directly into vetting system.

Jo from ABL Employment

Great Screening Software

Using Certn allows us to remotely service geographical areas where we don't have a physical branch presence. During the COVID-19 crisis we have been able to keep our business running seamlessly for our clients by utilizing the online screening software.

Pros

The ease of use is one of the best features. The exemplary customer service from the Certn team is the other feature that keeps me using the software and bringing more co-workers into the fold.

Cons

The only thing I would mention is when an applicant's status gets stuck and I need to reach out to the service team to have them investigate and push results through. The service and turnaround time for response is great.

Deborah from Innovatia

Industry: Writing and Editing

Pros

I like the ease of use and adaptability of the software to choose the service or services that will best meet the background check requirement.

Cons

I don't have a recommendation to improve or add a feature. I am satisfied that the software meets the varied need for background checks in one spot.

Sherry from Capstone Infrastructure Corporation

Industry: Renewables & Environment

Time Saver

My experience has been great. Customer Service is very helpful.

Pros

I like that it's simple to use. Making requests extremely easy. Confidentiality factor. I don't have to input all of the information.

Cons

Would be great to be notified when the applicant receives and opens the email from me/Certn.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

This was the first one that i checked out and fit the bill right away.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

This product was quick and simple with no paper required.

Ashley from SMART Technologies

Industry: Computer Hardware

Awesome

Great! The customer service is amazing, and our candidates have been pleased!

Pros

Very user friendly, and the interface is simple for both the employer and the candidate.

Cons

N/A - We haven't had any issues as of yet.

Don from Corporate Recruiters Ltd

Nice service

Very impressed. It is as advertised.

Pros

Easy to use. Very quick turnaround. Company is great to work with.

Cons

Nothing, everything worked as claimed and support is excellent.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

Value, easy and Canadian.

Lauren from Creation Technologies

Overall happy with Certn

It has been great to have all the information easily accessible in one user friendly portal.

Pros

Certn offer an easy to use portal where all your information is centralized. Our company also liked that you can brand the platform and service. The team has been very helpful with the on-boarding process and on-going support.

Cons

It would be nice if the reference feature could be more customized and tailored to the clients needs.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

Certn reached out to us and we were not actively looking. We thought this was a good service and decided to try it.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

We were not happy with the level and accuracy of the service we were receiving for the cost. Other business units of the company still are using this service provider until we have been able to determine if Certn can meet all of our business needs.

Navdeep from Trucking Experts Ltd

About Certn

Wonderful Experience

Pros

Easy to Use Fast Processing More Reliability

Cons

There is nothing that I don't like. Keep it up.

Stephanie from Paper Interactive, Inc.

Makes Background Checks Easy

Excellent customer service and all of the functions we want!

Pros

Instant results, hassle-free, online access, no need to engage other parties, candidates and others requiring background checks don't need to visit their local police office.

Cons

Some of the filtering could be better. It would be nice to be able to make folders for completed checks. As of writing, all checks show up on the dashboard page without a good ability to filter.

Brittany from David Aplin Group

Great

Wonderful

Pros

It is very user friendly and the results are generated quickly

Cons

Nothing - no complaints, I enjoy using it

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Wanted something more user friendly with quick turnaround in getting results

Tony from Procom Consultants Group Ltd.

Very good product.

Should have switched over to Certn earlier.

Pros

It is fast, turnaround time to get a report ( received the report within a couple of hours). It is easy to use. It is very cost-effective.

Cons

I cannot find anything negative at this time.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Ease of use, turnaround time, and cost.

Kristin from CIR Realty-Property Management

Great Canadian Product

My experience with Certn has been great. It was an easy transition to get started and their platform to use is very simple.

Pros

I like the fact that I can send a link to an application directly to a tenant to fill out. It also is easy to set up on your phone, so needing a computer isn't required

Cons

This isn't necessarily about the software, but I have encountered that it can become pricey if you post your application page on your website and then have multiple people who are under-qualified applying without your knowledge until you either log in or are billed.

Reasons for Choosing Certn

They were recommended by a trusted company who speaks highly of them.

George from Smart Auto Financial

Great Product! love it! Customer Service is Amazing!

Pros

Great customer service, fast and prompt, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], amazing person. Report comes back fast and accurate. love it.

Cons

only Con about this product is that it is not valid for all platforms, meaning criminal background report is not for all other companies that may need it.

Steve from Paper Excellence

Industry: Paper & Forest Products

Solid Resuplts

Been great.

Pros

Candidate needs to authorize, the price point is great and is very quick.

Cons

Invitation ends up in junk for a lot of candidates. Does not do very well for certain trades back checks.

Reasons for Switching to Certn

Price and customer service.

Aaron W from eyexpo

The background check is not accurate

I will only use this as a limited reference

Pros

easy to use, public info /credit info is mostly accurate

Cons

The employment reference comes back with a very weak argument

Lexi from FreshWorks Studio

Super quick and easy to use!

Pros

I couldn't believe how quickly the criminal record check came back! Also very easy to use.

Cons

I found it slightly confusing to understand which version of the record check I needed since there are many.