All QuickBooks Payroll Reviews

Reliable and accurate

Peter

Non-Profit Organization Management, 2-10 employees

Reviewed July 2023

Easy to deploy payroll system for any sized organization

Easy to use, easy to set up and get going

PROS

The ease of importing hours, processing payroll (including through direct deposit), keep track of taxes, and processing annual W2s.

CONS

It was a bit more expensive than we would have liked to pay given that we are a small nonprofit.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Full range of use offerings

Ruben

Construction, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2020

Customer Service

Quickbooks Payroll has been easy to use. We just recently started using Quickbooks for payroll. If I would have known how easy it was, I would have switched along time ago. I do not like change much, so if it works why switch. Quickbooks has been working well for our business.

PROS

The software is extremely user friendly. I love the simplicity of it. And When I have an issue chatting online instantly is amazing. Today I had an issue with our address since we moved our office and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was amazing. He was genuine in asking how my day was and very understanding and friendly. He took care of my issue and made sure it would not come up again.

CONS

In the 5 years that we have been with quickbooks there is really nothing bad I can say about the software. It has been great for our business.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Pricing and ease of having everything together on one platform

Dawn

Automotive, 2-10 employees

Reviewed March 2024

Love QuickBooks Payroll!

PROS

The ease of tracking employees time/pay/vacation and taxes all in one place.

CONS

There are really no issues I would say I have with this Program.

Bruce

Retail, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2021

They are so large now they make it difficult to speak with someone.

In the beginning the customer service was great, but over the years it has deteriorated. I still have on going issues where the mistaken filed my taxes under the wrong id number (the number was transposed) creating a issue with our Dept of labor unknow to me until years later. After, numerous calls, speaking to someone the issue is still a problem. Hey, mistakes happen lets just get it fixed. Now my employees have not received their pay, and now no one is available to let you know the issue.

PROS

When everything is good, things are great. But, when you have problem, (and you will sometime) they make it so difficult to get answers and issues resolved. When you a problem it will be a big issue and no one is around to help. You try chat, most of the time that doesn't resolve the issue, or question you may have. Have them call you back, that may or may not happen, but it won't happen in the time they indicate. Its been a great run with Quickbooks Pro (paid more for better Full service) but it looks as if that is coming to an end. The icing on the cake for me was, not getting my employees paid on the date they were supposed to be, though receiving correspondence they would be paid. Trying to get answers to what the issue is, and you can't get a hold of anyone. That creates a game changer.

CONS

Software is great, but if you don't have customer service to support the software, the software become worthless. Because you will have issues and will need help.

N/a

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

I wanted a good customer service payroll company to work with.

Darcy

Reviewed January 2024

QuickBooks Payroll

PROS

We use QuickBooks Payroll to pay all our employees. we are able to integrate their hours

CONS

sometimes the time and position gets messed up and we have to manually fix it.

Shannon

Restaurants, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2023

Works great! Syncs with QB.

Overall it's a strong product with all the features most people will need for their business. I used it for 2 restaurants and was very pleased with it. It's great to have all your finances in a single place.

PROS

I liked that it allowed me to keep my business finances in one place. It was easy to use and less expensive than a payroll company like ADP or paychex.

CONS

The accounts in my chart of accounts it setup would sometimes be confusing.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

At the time it made sense for my business to consolidate software into a single suite.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Cost and minimizes multiple softwares.

Samantha

Consumer Goods, 51-200 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Overall A Good Payroll Software for Small Businesses

PROS

Very easy to use for both the employer and employees. You can add different admin users along with changing access, if some admins don't need access to everything. It is very user friendly and walks you through step by step on each and every part of the payroll process. This is the first software I ever used when starting in the payroll department, and had 0% training on it. I was able to navigate my way through it with no help.

CONS

The direct deposit limit is what made me change payroll software. I could not pay all of my employees via direct deposit because of the limit they had on our account.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

The pricing and overall amount of features that you get for the money was amazing.

Kathy

Reviewed January 2020

QuickBooks review

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great; however, it took me over 30 minutes to get to him. Once I got to him, he was able to resolve my issue pretty quickly. He was very professional and knowledgeable.

PROS

Entering and sending payroll is very easy, generally.

CONS

It is difficult to access some information and not everything transferred over from our desktop version as it should have.

Reasons for switching to QuickBooks Payroll

Our corporate office forced us to. If I had the choice, I would have stayed with desktop.

Salvador

Events Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2020

Simple solution to running payroll via mobile device

My overall experience with both the software and support have been nothing but the best. I think the best feature of Quickbooks Payroll is the service you receive when talking with a solutions agent.

PROS

I enjoy the use of the mobile app to easily review payroll and pay my employees in a timely manner. I also enjoy the functionality of time sheets compatibility to payroll.

CONS

There is nothing. The call back with support is amazing and is withing a reasonable time period to reach back out when I needed the service.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

I choose this because it easily migrated with our accounting software and decreased the payments to my bookkeeper.

Ease of use.

Accounting, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed June 2023

Quickbooks Payroll

It's ok to use, not my favorite. I actually prefer using Gusto payroll.

PROS

I like that it seamlessly integrates with Quickbooks accounting software.

CONS

I don't like the additional step of remembering to pay payroll taxes. Not having them automatically paid leaves a client open to the Trust Fund Recovery Penalties.

Real Estate, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Quickbooks Assisted Payroll - Great for small businesses

Overall, it's been great for our company. As mentioned above, their customer service needs some help. Other than that, their payroll service has helped a tremendously, in keeping track of everything needed to comply to State and Federal filing and tax deadlines. I would recommended it as a tool to help ease the work for your payroll person in the office.

PROS

I like the ease of the payroll service. We have a small number of employees, yet prior to QuickBooks, sometimes quarterly payroll taxes were mis-calculated. With QuickBooks Assisted Payroll, we do not ever have to worry about sending in payments, as they are done for us automatically. W-2 are no longer a headache either, they are don't quickly and generated seamlessly.

CONS

When we do have issues, customer service is not to par. They stopped service many of their payroll services and when you do, you do get switched around a lot and many seem to not know the basics of payroll. - I wouldn't recommend their services if you need step by step help on processing your company payroll.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

Not Applicable; we were manually doing payroll prior to QuickBooks Payroll.

Anne

Automotive, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2020

#CJM

It's very easy to use and support are easy to contact and are very helpful.

PROS

We use Tsheets as well to integrate with QB payroll and i find the process to be very easy. Processing payroll as well as the cut off times are easy and excellent for our business.

CONS

The reporting on payroll is not sufficient, for instance, being able to run customized reports has not been easy. It would also be great to be able to have a secondary payroll user that doesn't have access to all the accounting as well.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

It was simpler to switch to given we mainly use quickbooks for our accounting purposes.

Peggy

Reviewed February 2021

If you are using contractors, QB online Premium is not a good solution

Overall good product, but frustrating for the segment that manages contractor payments.

PROS

pretty easy to use set up easily integrated in QuickBooks Online

CONS

Biggest issues are: -Customer service transfers you around many times because no one owns the issues with payroll with contractors. - Time drain - Normal issues have either taken multiple calls to resolve, or have taken hours on the phone because if an agent hangs up, they cannot continue to work on your issue - they have to take the next call - so they waste your time waiting while someone tries to read the full manual to figure it out, when in fact, it is a recent programming changes issue. - Integration with other Apps - You cannot integrate a time card app because only hours are uploaded from app to QuickBooks and we cannot map $/hr pay for contractors, only employees. Who focuses on contractor payments? - RECENT "improvements" and rate increase double the cost of the tool for my company.

Reason for choosing QuickBooks Payroll

thought it was going to be easy to use

Agnieszka

Insurance, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2020

QuickBooks Payroll Review

Good but the items above have to be corrected for us to be completely satisfied.

PROS

We use the Intuit Full Service payroll. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was very helpful the other day spending many ous on the phone with me in efforts to correct our issue.

CONS

There are two CONS I want to mention. Both of them do not have to do with the service [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] provided. 1 - it is very difficult to get a hold of a representative on the phone. We have desktop version of Quickbooks. The Intuit Full Service payroll advertises we should use a feature embedded in Quickbooks online to call speak to a representative. We do not have that option as we do not use the online version of the software. This needs to be attended to. No one wants to be on hold for 45 minutes to be able to talk to a representative. 2 - the IIF file import form Intuit Full Service payroll to desktop Quickbooks has a flaw. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I spent hours the other day talking to Quickbooks desktop people and although they found a fix, it was just one-time fix. Please, refer to the service ticket [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and I were working on for details. This also requires immediate attention.

Ease of use

Quickbooks ease of use

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed December 2021

Works for our relatively straight forward needs

It's been good, and I would recommend it to other companies that have a similar use case to us (not a crazy amount of employees, and no complicated setup for payments)

PROS

I've had many people tell me that QuickBooks Payroll isn't a "true" or "real" payroll system, but I have yet to experience any major problems. Our use case is fairly simple / straight forward, and we have 10's of employees, not 100's. In this context it works very well, handles all the tax reporting almost automatically (there is a bit of manual work, but it's trivial) and basically allows us to manage this fairly simply as a small company with not tons of resources. It handles the direct deposit for our employees nicely as well.

CONS

This is more of an issue with any Quickbooks product, not just Payroll. The UI is not always super clear, and sometimes you have to go to weird places (from a navigation perspective) to find a particular function. Getting our annual forms for employees and the government is always a pain, because it's been a year since it was done last and it takes some time to find where you can do it in the software. The support is also hit and miss. Sometimes the agent you get is very helpful and solves the problem relatively quickly, and sometimes the agent you get can't even really understand the problem no matter how often you explain it. Finally my last gripe is that I have to manage the dates to process payroll manually. i.e. Quickbooks knows when payroll has to be run, but doesn't send me any type of notification, so I have to manually track this. It occasionally results in running it too close to a holiday, resulting in staff getting paid a day late, I'd really appreciate it if I got a notice from Quickbooks on the last day to process on time, since it's only one of the many things I have to keep track of.

Regina

Restaurants, 2-10 employees

Reviewed September 2020

Unhappy Customer!!!

Having billing issues. We discovered last month that we were being double billed for our QuickBooks payroll after we converted over to QuickBooks online. Overpayment came to a total of $1127. I and our accountant had to spend a total of over 5 hours on the phone attempting to get a refund for this overpayment. Finally my accountant got $474 promised back and had to compinsate me back another $474 from her small business. The other $237 was lost! After discovering what the charge being taken out of our bank account by intuit was, i then attempted to find a phone number to discuss the issue. I was unable to find any contact information on the website or within our QuickBooks online account. My accountant then showed me where online there was contact information. I then had to request a call back. There was no phone number or email to the contact Quickbooks with directly to get help with any issue including billing. We both then spent at least five hours on the phone with different quick books representatives. These representatives were located in the Philippines and not even in the United States. They made promises of emailing me information of where they had authorityTo deduct directly from our checking account and failed to send the information. This was two different representatives. I still haven’t gotten this information. Intuit has been getting double payment for our payroll services for 2 1/2 years!

PROS

Reconciling bank account both with bank and online.

CONS

Billing and lack of customer service! No direct contact phone numbers . Representatives in phillipines. Dropped calls and long waiting times. No email contact for help. Lack of follow through.

Accountant suggested

William

Insurance, 2-10 employees

Reviewed October 2020

Been with Intuit for 15+ years their service has gone way done

e loved Inuit Payroll for 20 years but the past 2 years they are terrible. They mistakenly filed our 940 forms twice in 2019 for the same quarter, and then when they file the second one they send you a notice that your payroll was rejected because "SOMEONE" (ah it was you.... dumb a...) filed it. We went through hell last year, getting this resolved and their customer service sucks....bad. We were left to solve the problem on our own. My QB consultant warned me that Intuit payroll is screwing everything up and I should switch to ADP. But, no I did not listen and now they did the same mistake this year. Intuit Payroll why don't you just go out of business or better sell to ADP or Paychex.