• Pros

• "The customer support is amazing. My questions are answered promptly, and they are responsive to suggestions and ideas."

• "Very user friendly from an admin and employee perspective. Customization is easy as well."

• "Very easy to upload and submit changes for my employees during open enrollment"

• Cons

• "The system has a lot of potential but the look and feel of the program are old and extremely outdated. If some upgrades were made it would be great."

• "The new employee has to download their W4 and I9. The employer should do it."

• "It can be a lot of work to get a client set up but the end result is client retention and more voluntary sales."

Browse BerniePortal Reviews

Meghan Elise from Full Service Insurance

Customer support worth the price

We were looking at having to hire two support staff immediately to support new & renewal business Q4. With Bernie's ease of implementation and instant streamlining effect we were able to defer to Q1 so we can spend much needed time searching, thoughtfully rather than desperately, for our one new staff member. Eliminated the need for a second one.

Pros

The fact that I don't have to build out anything or learn how to code to be able to use it and show my clients how to use it. I have one person at Bernie to communicate with and he builds everything needed to make me look good and my clients feel confident in the technology. I truly love not having a revolving phone bank of support or having to create a ticket online and wait for someone to pick it up.

Cons

Really can't think of a negative right now and haven't heard anything negative about it from any clients to date.

Bunny from Brown & Company Insurance Services

Highly Engaged

Efficiency and continuity of information delivery of insurance benefits in addition to legible enrollment forms with complete information.

Pros

The toggle inputs make setting up the portal easy, and, if you have all the pieces (census, subgroup designations, rates, and benefit summaries), a portal can be setup in a day, versus 6-8 weeks on other systems. We utilize the portal mainly during open enrollment since it provides an easy way to post age rates or composite rates and provides a delivery mechanism for ACA required Summary of Benefits and Coverage. It leverages much of the data held in the system to pre-populate enrollment forms and collect actual signatures (via touchscreen or mouse).  It also offers Onboarding capabilities (I-9, W-4, Handbook receipts, etc.) for those companies who want to go paperless.  We launched the portal with our 50+ clients first in order for them to capitalize on the 1095 reporting capabilities with BerniePortal then rolled out portals for smaller clients at their renewal. The system is compatible with any device that can connect to the internet so even field employees can enroll using their phone. We have monthly support calls with our BerniePortal Account Manager to discuss newly released features and provide feedback on cases in progress.

Cons

The system architecture is updated frequently and changes are not always announced, so sometimes we find feature changes that we did not know were happening. Many times these are minor, and improvements, but there have been features removed that we appreciated using. Most rating methods can be accommodated like age rates and composite rates for standard lines of coverage. Disability rate tables can be challenging to setup yourself, but the BerniePortal team is available to handle some or all benefit setups. They have a Defined Employer Contribution mechanism, but currently do not have a Defined Employee Contribution mechanism. Adoption and use by the HR administrator is ultimately needed to gain the most value and utility from the system. Standard client data reports are available for download, but custom reports cannot currently be generated.

Amanda from SEDA-Council of Governments

Industry: Government Relations

It could be better

Created more work for HR during open enrollment. In the past, when employees did not make changes to their health insurance plans, we didn't have to update anything. Now that we utilize the Bernie Portal and it does not reflect the correct information, HR is essentially stuck doing every single employee's open enrollment (so that the employee does not assume they pay $0 when they do contribute). Very time consuming. Changes are not always reflected. I have also encountered employees who information was not reflected correctly even though entered with the previous elections - i.e. dependents deleted for no reason. I also feel like it could have more functionality and tools that are useful to the HR professional. I don't understand why it includes new employee forms - feels a little disjointed.

Pros

I think the system has potential. It's pretty user-friendly for the most part. I think it could be valuable to an organization but not every single employee will understand how to make sure they are putting in the proper elections for health insurance.

Cons

Not fully functional. Our costs do not show up appropriately. Employees are supposed to see how much they pay towards their insurance and it says $0. Since it says this, they can not use the software which results in HR having to do all of the leg work during open enrollment and through out the year. I see they offer 1094/1095C assistance. It is not a functionality on my end. I questioned our third party and have yet to hear back on how this could be implemented.

Response from Bernard Health

Replied February 2019

To improve your BerniePortal experience, I'd like to provide insight into a few of your statements. 1) "Employees are supposed to see how much they pay towards their insurance and it says $0:" This sounds like a configuration problem that can be easily fixed on the back end. I recommend contacting your broker to make the proper back-end adjustments. This way you won't have to do enrollment manually! 2) "I see they offer 1094/1095C assistance. It is not a functionality on my end." BerniePortal has a 1094-C/1095-C reporting functionality that can be activated simply by requesting it from your broker. Our team also offers additional mailing and e-filing services, which can also be arranged if you contact your broker. Overall, we recommend increasing communication with your broker so that BerniePortal functions optimally for your organization. Hopefully this helps!

Tammy from Miller Loughry Beach

BerniePortal Review

Our overall experience with BerniePortal is great. Our customers are coming around to using it and those that do, love it. I've been able to get Open Enrollments done quicker, processing is quicker since we are not continually tracking down employees to receive needed information from paper apps and in some cases with small groups, the need for employee meetings has reduced.

Pros

I like the clean, easy to read look of the software. It's not a "busy" website where you get lost in knowing what to do next. This software is the most user friendly I've seen from an online enrollment site.

Cons

Sometimes I just don't know how Bernie "thinks". LOL. Sometimes the questions asked can be perceived in different ways. For example, Salary updates: "Effective with first paycheck after this date". Answering this question can be complicated since, we as the broker, are often assisting with this question to make sure that Disability rates calculate correctly during renewal.

Kristen from Geonetric

Open Enrollment 2019 -

Pros

For the most part the software is a great tool for open enrollment. It is quick and most employees could elect their benefits without any problems.

Cons

As the Benefits Administrator I am receiving a lot of feedback from employees that once you get to Step 3 (the page that encompasses all the benefit elections) doesn't auto generate to the next benefit. Employees have been confused by the fact that you hit "save and continue" and there is a check mark next to the benefit but they can't actually see the benefit because it is higher on the page and you would have to scroll up to confirm you have elected that benefit. I would also like to recommend that benefits that are available to employees that are no cost to them be put somewhere other than the benefit tab. It is confusing to employees to see STD and LTD listed at zero cost to them. I understand it is a benefit that is offered by the employer and they should be aware of it but it is confusing when you are making an election for something that you don't contribute to. I appreciate you asking benefit administrators for their feedback. I know it makes the software better and ultimately a better experience for the employees. :)

Response from Bernard Health

Replied December 2018

We appreciate your feedback and would like to help you resolve your troubles by offering a few tips: 1) "Step 3 doesn't auto generate to the next benefit": We would suggest adjusting the magnification settings on the device so that all content is visible. It may also be helpful to include instructions in the customizable informational box that appears when an employee selects a benefit. 2) "It is confusing to employees to see STD and LTD listed at zero cost to them."¿ We encourage taking advantage of the customizable information box that employees see during enrollment. Many employers also find it helpful to arrange an in-person presentation of employee benefit offerings and a quick BerniePortal tutorial in order to simplify open enrollment. BerniePortal's knowledge base also includes in-depth employee tutorials that should help employees. Thanks again for your feedback¿as you noted, this can only improve our product. We will keep these items in mind as we invest in development!

Jennifer from HealthPointe Insurance Services

Fantastic Team

Pros

The total customer experience definitely exceeds expectations. If we have suggestions on how to improve our team is very responsive and listens to our suggestions and usually implements them very quickly.

Cons

Some of the employees are our groups don't have access to a computer so they find it difficult to navigate.

Lou from Hub International Northwest LLC

I've been very happy with the system and service from BerniePortal overall.

Clients have a simple HRIS that allows employees to enroll online.

Pros

Most clients the system for enrollment and find it intuitive, easy to use. System is set-up such that the least tech-savvy employee can use the system with a little instruction.

Cons

Onboarding- needs to allow employees to save their progress and/or allow forms to be added later. Enrollment-for a waiver of coverage, the active coverage information needs to be required since many carriers ask for this information. Open Enrollment- if a plan is not changing, would like the current enrollment to be reflected or an option for "no change". Ability to add additional website 'hot links' would be nice. Beneficiary form- Beneficiary date of birth, ssn and address fields need to be added since many carriers require this information.

ANDREA from Harmony Family Center

BerniePortal - Outdated

I've been using BerniePortal for a little over a year to track our benefit enrollments, etc. If it would get some upgrades I'd use it much more often.

Pros

Has a lot of cool features but the look and feel are very outdated. Layout is easy to use and easy to navigate.

Cons

Paula from Sun Risk Management, Inc.

Great product, very easy to use. Best Service EVER!

Have our information all in one place, and the data integrates with our agency management system.

Pros

Very simple for the administrator to use, and learn. The onboarding feature is especially popular among HR staff. Employees love it too and it is a great compliance tool.

Cons

Would like to see more integrations with carriers, but I know they are working on that! Cannot accommodate all of the unique premium set ups some of my clients have.

Melanie from EarthBalance Corp

Industry: Environmental Services

Super Easy to Use

Bernie Portal, besides making open enrollment a breeze, made the COBRA integration and ACA compliance one of the easiest parts of my job. Love it!

Pros

I love Bernie because it's so easy for both me and my employees to use. It's made open enrollment a breeze.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that it doesn't integrate bills properly. But I'm not worried too much about that.

Amanda from Goal Group Inc.

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Decent Portal for Smaller Benefit Packages

After utilizing Bernie Portal for a few weeks, there are a few comments/suggestions I would like to pass on. Employee enrollment changes – When I go back to correct errors I have to completely recreate the employees enrollment, from start to finish. When an employee elects to make an HSA contribution change, I shouldn’t have to completely remove and re enter his enrollment just to update something so simple. Reporting – First, I cannot pull a report with HSA contributions, they come over as a PDF with a page for each employee, even if they are not enrolled in an HSA. I then have to search for changes. Second, our spousal and children vol life or AD&D plans are not tied to the spouse or child, they should be tied to the employee. When I pull a report for the vol life and AD&D plans, have to manipulate the data and move it to the employee as it is populated on a line/record that has census data for the spouse or child. I would like to see the data tied to the employee. Pending enrollments – some of our plans require additional steps such as evidence of insurability forms to be completed be fore the employee is actually enrolled in the plans. I would like to see Bernie Portal have the option to mark an employees enrollment as pending and thus exclude it from billing and payroll deduction reports.

Pros

Bernie Portal has good customization options, and they responded quickly when we needed to make a change to the view/setup of our plans.

Cons

We offer 12 different benefit plans with multiple options and tier selections. Bernie Portal isn't equipped to handle this many plans effectively. The reporting feature is not customizable and cumbersome to extract the data that I need. There is also not the option to edit/change an employees enrollment without completely starting over. Pending enrollments that require approval or additional processing such as an Evidence of Insurability form cannot be removed from reports or the billing feature. This causes lots of manipulations to the reports on our end to ensure accurate data.

Sandi from The Otium Agency Inc.

Admin Staff and Clients Love It

Buying into an enrollment platform was a big decision, and we did not take it lightly. After vetting multiple options, we made the investment with BerniePortal and it has far exceeded our expectations. We would not hesitate to make the same decision again, and would highly recommend this platform to any broker looking to solidify their standing with clients and expand their book all while making things easier for your admin staff!

Pros

BerniePortal addresses those pain points that our clients and admin staff have complained about for years, and offers a robust solution. So much more than an online enrollment platform, BerniePortal offers HR tools, compliance help, integrated billing with some carriers, payroll integration and integrated COBRA administration. Our clients rave about the portal and our admin staff needs have decreased since we began using BerniePortal. The service provided by the BerniePortal staff is second to none!

Cons

The reporting in BerniePortal could be improved - it is sufficient but could be upgraded to be more intuitive for the admin staff and clients alike.

Jen from Humane Society Naples

Industry: Veterinary

Experience with Bernie Portal for Benefits Management

Our broker recommended BerniePortal to administer benefits, rather than our current payroll/HR provider's system. In hindsight, we probably would have just stuck with one system. Bernie is probably useful for overall employee/HR management, but since we have only used it for benefits administration, I haven't seen the full picture of what it can do.

Pros

It's very easy to add an employee to the system and to pull up individual benefits enrollment information. Terminations are also easy, and COBRA administration is handled by Bernie. The employee list shows you at a glance who is enrolled, who still needs to enroll, and who needs to "onboard." Employee enrollment in benefits is user-friendly and straightforward. Employees are shown the costs of each of their selections along the way, and can easily make changes prior to completing enrollment.

Cons

The reports aren't very useful. I'm not able to pull up a simple report that tells me (for example) the employee's name plus their enrollment choices. It would be really helpful to be able to do this when reconciling statements from our benefits providers with actual enrollment. I wish I could add and "onboard" a part-time employee who is not eligible for benefits in one step. Since we only use Bernie for benefits administration, there's no reason for them to "onboard" when they can't enroll in anything. It's been difficult to get an API / integration going with our payroll/HR software provider. I had to learn the system on my own. I tried to get some in-person training but was not successful.

Sandra from PSG Washington

Review by Company Administrator

From the brokers admin standpoint the software provides an online solution to administer and maintain benefits, especially for the smaller to midsize groups. It gets more complicated with larger groups that have multiple levels. Working closely with a BP rep that is a good fit for the firm is extremely important to make these build outs and renewals go smoothly.

Pros

The software's functionality is fairly easy to use from the standpoint of the brokers admin. I am able to easily train our groups admins to manage their groups benefits, enrollment and renewal process.

Cons

The reports feature is limited and not very robust. It would be great to create reports with only the information needed and in the order your like to see it displayed.

Diana from LD&B Insurance

Positive over all. Great responsiveness from success team. Buildout process can be challenging.

It is highly customizable which is very valuable to our firm and the small group market we primarily serve.

Pros

It tackles online benefits administration and onboarding in a very unique way. It is designed by brokers with brokers in mind. It is intuitive and has a user interface that is easy to understand. It is constantly being updated and improved. It gets better every day.

Cons

The build out process can be painful. The build out request form leaves a lot to be desired. There are always a lot of errors in the way the groups and plans are built and because testing a portal is difficult sometimes those errors don't get discovered until the site is live. There is not user guide/manual/step by steps/instructions available so you can't independently trouble shoot, I always have to send an email.

Joshua from Vanguard Benefit Solutions, LLC

Bernie Portal is great!

I am finding Bernie Portal to be a great value add for my agency. My groups like the portal, it is easy to use, and it helps me get new business and retain what i already have. I am a big fan!

Pros

I like the fact that Bernie Portal is so focused on the broker. The fact that they build each website for me and update each year on renewal makes Bernie Portal such a great partner for my agency.

Cons

Every now and then i run into something that a group may want to do that Bernie Portal just can't accommodate. Usually however, many of these small issues at some point in time get resolved as Bernie continues to innovate and upgrade their portal.

SHAYLA from Home Solutions of Iowa

Useless Product

Pros

The only thing that I liked about this software, is that employees were able to enroll into their benefits, and BP would send me a summary sheet.

Cons

There is a pto tracker, however it only tracks by hour, and does not work if you have different employees with different amounts of pto earned each year. BP does not integrate well with many of the big name healthcare providers so even though they give you that summary sheet, you still have to enter the information in yourself. Customer service is slow and terrible. It takes days for someone to get back to you, and sometimes, it's just to tell you that they still don't have the answer. I also had an instance where another company's documents were uploaded onto our profile for employees to review and sign off on.

Response from Bernard Health

Replied August 2019

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review! We always welcome your feedback. You mentioned a few cons: 1. "PTO tracking only tracks by the hour and doesn't work if you have different employees with different amounts of PTO each year." Our PTO feature tracks in 15-min increments and PTO Admins have the ability to manually adjust employee PTO amounts. I would suggest asking your broker to help you set up a time for a demo of the feature. 2. "BP doesn't integrate with big-name healthcare providers." We are always willing to speak with carriers about getting an integration set-up! If this is something you're interested in, ask your broker to speak with their Advisor Success rep to get the conversation started between BerniePortal and the carrier. 3. "Customer service is slow and terrible." We're sorry you've experienced this. Your broker is another great point of contact when it comes to answering your questions. Thanks again for your feedback, hopefully this helps!

Thomas from URL Insurance Group

Bernie Portal Review

We have made tremendous strides with Administering Bernie Portal internally for our comapny and for our clients. Our new rep,has been nothing but extraordinary to work with. He never takes long to answer, and treats each one of our clients with a sense of urgency, just like we do. We have had our struggles depending on the complexity of the group, but overall we are satisfied with Bernie Portal's software

Pros

We love the interface of Bernie Portal and how easy it is for our company and our clients to use. Additionally, the fact that Bernie Portal "builds" and implements our group clients takes that large burden off of us to focus more on sales.

Cons

There are a lot of functions Bernie Portal does not offer at all, or other systems offer better. Bernie Portal does not allow different hour eligibility requirements. They do not have a measurement period feature. Recently, Bernie Portal also increased prices for "add on features" so much that we are having difficulty passing this cost onto our clients. Previously the rates were reasonable, now the add on features are extremely expensive.

Reasons for Choosing BerniePortal

The main deciding factors in choosing Bernie Portal was the fact they build the groups for us taking that labor intensive burden off our team to focus more on sales, and the cost was most efficient.

Eases the burden and keeps things simple

BerniePortal has fulfilled our needs for managing benefits, particularly enrollment for health, dental, and vision insurance and related documentation. We are testing out the PTO module, hoping to replace our basic spreadsheets and email approval system. We've been very pleased with the portal, and recommend you at least check it out to see if it will meet your needs.

Pros

The bernieportal leverages technology to handle the communication and paperwork/documentation necessary for managing benefits. The process is seamless, and employees have easy access to information about their benefits. Each month a webinar is offered, which covers new releases and reminders about the tools available.

Cons

If you have complex benefits, this may not be the best system...but make sure you test it out first. There are some customizations available. Their wheelhouse is probably small to mid-size businesses.

Katherine from Konecny Insurance Services

Bernie Portal review

It is very time intensive to get a group set up correctly in the portal. The carrier forms are not filled out completely. There isn't direct enrollment with the carriers. The carrier forms must be printed out and enrollment completed on carrier website. With not all the information filled in on the enrollment forms it makes it necessary for us to contact the employee to verify information needed for the online enrollments.

Pros

It is easy for Employees to complete their benefit elections in one place.

Cons

Not all the needed information is mapped onto the carrier forms when enrollments are completed.

Response from Bernard Health

Replied February 2019

Thanks for your feedback - We would like to help resolve any issues by clarifying a few points on BerniePortal functionality stated in your review: 1) "It is time intensive to set a group up": Every licensee receives unlimited group build outs through their Client Success representative. We suggest reaching out to your Client Success partner to see how you can speed up this process. 2) "Not all carrier form information is mapped onto forms" - BerniePortal's form mapping feature allows users to create custom fields that can be mapped onto any form if the existing option doesn't already exist in the menu. 3) "Carrier forms must be printed out & enrollment completed on the carrier website" - BerniePortal has the infrastructure necessary to allow carriers to pull benefits data. Unfortunately, not all carriers have the same technology & cannot integrate. We suggest exploring BernieBill, a BerniePortal feature that allows carriers to issue bills directly from BerniePortal.

SHAWN from ALTIUS BUILDING COMPANY

GREAT HR SOLUTION - ESPECIALLY FOR THE COMBINATION CFO/HR ROLE

BerniePortal has allowed me to entirely streamline our HR functions. Insurance renewal time is a breeze, onboarding is a non-event, and we now are compliant on all employment sign-offs, etc. I am able to now financial steer the company instead of reacting to HR events.

Pros

- The onboarding solution streamlines the process - The insurance application process allows for ease of submission directly by the applicant - We were able to upload our updated Employment Handbook and all related policies in to require signature from employees. - The PTO solution takes the record-keeping burden off of my group as managers directly approve PTO requests. - The customer service group is very responsive - The development team seriously considers user feedback (implementation of a PTO calendar view)

Cons

The PTO solution requires a bit more flexibility with regard to rolling-over unused PTO to the subsequent year and/or loading the annual PTO at the beginning of each year

Joan from HealthPointe Insurance Services, LLC

The support team is fantastic

The ease of online enrollment so that we do not have to travel to all the work sites or rely on other agents to enroll core at the same time they enroll supplemental products

Pros

functionality and ability to work with it and the development team really listens to your requests for improvement

Cons

Some of our plans are not easily integrated because of the carrier requirements. We have several plans that have specific needs that do not fit the standard plans.

Megan from Sterling Seacrest Partners

Highly Recommend

Overall experience is great! Support team is easy to work with and responsive. The system is customizable and simple to navigate. Even if employees don't have computer access, the masquerade feature overcomes this issue.

Pros

The system is very user friendly and customizable.

Cons

The system exports various reports and any SSN's that begin with 0 do not reflect 0 at the start. No major dislikes.

Pat from Reaume Insurance Solutions

A great product to eliminate quoting and faxing applications to the client.

I feel I can compete with the big boys. I've brought something new to the client and i think that is important.

Pros

Once you set the client up, pick the employer contribution, add voluntary then you welcome employees to enroll. You then capture their request and process their applications. The biggest thing for us has been adding voluntary products without the need to bring in an enrollment team.

Steven from Sterling Seacrest Partners

Broker and Employer User

Overall is very strong. This time of year things are busy for us all, but the team works hard for us.

Pros

Cons

Wish there was a way to send automatic reminders to employees and a way to have a passive enrollment.

Kelly from The Ashley Group

Great HRIS system for small employers

This improves the employee experience from on boarding to benefit renewal.

Pros

The system is easy to use. It does a nice job on ACA reporting and benefit administration. The applicant tracking software with indeed is a nice feature.

Cons

The reporting is improving but still needs improvement.

Bernie Review

Great

Pros

The software is super simple! I could list a dozen things that I love about the portal.

Cons

I wish we could customize the portal more. I do not like the date feature for new employees.. I wish you could type the date. I also wish their was a button for a passive enrollment.

Whitney from Insurance Management Group

BerniePortal Review

I am new to using Bernie Portal on the broker level but I can already see the benefit of our agency purchasing it. We've seen many of our clients get excited about the platform, especially when they are able to easily learn more about their benefits and how to keep their benefit information organized in one place. We've also seen HR Director's light up when they're able to pull reports quickly and keep track of the many HR tasks all in one spot.

Pros

It's user friendly for brokers, employers and employees. Which is one of the most important features you want in any system.

Cons

No system is perfect. It would be nice if we had the option to have more custom reporting.

Amy from JL Hubbard Insurance and Bonds Agency

A great business decision!

BerniePortal helps us to bring real solutions to our clients. We love our client support team member(s) and value our relationship with the BerniePortal team. That support facilitates our success!

Pros

Ease of use, constantly evolving, great customer support

Cons

We did not find this software sooner than 2016.

Kristen from Watson Insurance Agency

Best Benefits Admin System

Very great experience. Would highly recommend.

Pros

Creates a PDF of the enrollment form for carriers that don't take smaller groups' EDI feed. 1095 forms.

Cons

A little difficult to navigate at times and have to ask for help.

Jennifer from INHP

The benefits of using the BerniePortal

The BerniePortal is best in class in terms of an onboarding and benefits system. It captures the data and eliminates lengthy forms from having to be filled out manually and then transmitted.

Pros

I like the connection that the BerniePortal makes with new hires even before they join the organization. The ability to onboard and get the HR paperwork out of the way is a great asset for our organization.

Cons

There are a lot of changes made to the portal and these changes are rolled out quickly and sometimes this causes errors with capturing information and submitting it to third party vendors.

Angela from Miller Loughry Beach Insurance Services

Bernie is our BFF

Love how all types of employees are able to access and use; easy to understand verbiage.

Pros

Bernie Portal is very user friendly; I love this system :-)

Cons

Need to be able to filter reports per employee status, etc.

Teresa from Golsan Scruggs

We use Bernie Portal for about 50 groups, almost all without a hitch.

It makes employee benefit open enrollment and carrier updates so much faster and smoother.

Pros

Cons

The reporting functions are pretty basic. There is a spreadsheet of data that is useful, but I have to sort through it all to get what I want.

Daniel from GDBBB

Helpful product that can use some improvements.

Pros

Once everything is entered (see what I like least), the software is pretty intuitive and user-friendly. Getting there is part of the battle.

Cons

Data importation. We utilize this software through our broker, and support for the software is only accessible through the broker; the end user/client cannot contact someone for help. If you're not ready to pull the trigger right away, some data becomes outdated and the only efficient way (and I use that term very loosely) is to scrap all of the data and re-import.

Response from Bernard Health

Replied February 2019

We're glad to hear that you've had a positive experience operating BerniePortal once it's been set up. I see that data importation has been difficult for you, and I'd like to offer a few tips. 1) For HR features such as Applicant Tracking, PTO, Time & Attendance, and Compliance, I'm happy to let you know that we have a readily-available Employer Success team that you can directly contact for support. 2) If you would like to edit employee information, this is possible without uploading a new census. If you would like to have your employee update their onboarding documents such as the W-4, you can request an edit from your employee directly in the portal. The employer admin also has the ability to adjust employee information one-by-one if necessary. If you have further questions, I'd recommend working with your health insurance broker to find a solution. We appreciate your feedback!

Megan from Zoo

Great for Insurance benefits

We just started using BerniePortal last year, it was the first year we offered employee benefits, and there are so many different things that are useful just with the one portion that we use. The reports are nice that it can pull and send to you.

Pros

What I like about this software is that there is ease when onboarding new employees and then the employees also have it pretty easy when selecting the benefits that they wants. Nice that is makes it a step by step process but it is self explanatory.

Cons

It is sometime a little more complicated to get into the masquerading option from the admin login, sometimes things don't always work correctly but it always works eventually.

Heather from Family Services

Why would you not use Bernie Portal?

BP partnered with our insurance agents from Buckman Mitchel makes the hard job of an HR professional much easier.

Pros

Automating the onboarding process and including benefit elections into the onboarding ensures that an employee will not be forgotten when they become eligible for benefits. BP gives employees the opportunity to complete new hire documents prior to their first day, giving them more hands on time. I find employees read the handbook since they have the time to and it is provided online through BP.

Cons

I do with there was an E-Verify option, for the fact I still need to see the work eligibility documents on the first day.

Matthew from Meyers Glaros Group

Revolutionized our enrollment capabilities

Pros

Very User friendly and "dummy" proof. Employers in all industries and size can benefit from a program like Bernie

Cons

Rarely do we find an issue with the program. Whoever the ability to change employee info in bulk is limited.... wish there was a way to address that easier

Good Fit for Mid-Size Company

Pros

Easy to register with and navigate as a user as well as an administrator. Also customized to what our business needed it for which was a place to house our company's benefits plans and summaries and manage open enrollment and new hire enrollments. The BP helped automate a once manual and paper-only process.

Cons

Some delays when navigating to different areas the site, or employee to employee.

Joshua from Vanguard Benefit Solutions, Llc

Making communication with clients much easier.

Pros

Intuitiveness and ease of use. Slick interface. Clients love it. Relatively small learning curve. ...

Cons

Having to redo elections when we make small changes. Not being able to term or add a dependent without redoing elections.

Ashley from Reece, Noland & McElrath, Inc.

Office Manager -- From the Admin Side

We are a small firm so you would think we would only offer a plan or maybe two at the most. But we are offering 15. Yes, 15. We could not do that without the Bernie Portal. But being a small firm you tend to know more about your co-workers than most offices would. You know that some would like a traditional plan that pays for everything while another co-worker couldn't afford such a Cadillac plan. You know that some are young and want an HSA while others are healthy and do not need all the bells and whistles. With co-pays and out of pockets, specialist vs. general physicians, monthly prescriptions vs. occasional antibiotics it has become almost impossible for a one plan fits all anymore. Hence our 15 and like I said . . . .could only be accomplished with the Bernie Portal.

Pros

We offer several plan options and with the Bernie Portal it allows the employees the opportunity to review, decide and choose which plan works best for them. With health plans becoming more and more the responsibility of the consumer this gives them their first step in making that happen. And in reviewing their own plans they have more insight into what their chosen covers and does not cover. The other wonderful thing is a more simplistic way to review your summary of benefits and certificate of coverage. The documents are online and always available.

Cons

The only thing I found sort of challenging is sometimes you do have to hunt and peck a little to find admin documents you might need. But once you understand how the system works then it gets much easier.

Janis from Jack Carroll's Skagit Hyundai

Not very user friendly

Overall I like the system, it has made my job easier to sign employees up for benefits. However, it is not very user friendly and can sometimes be frustrating to navigate.

Pros

When it works right employees are able to easily click on a link in an email and sign up for all our benefits.

Cons

Quite often employees don't recognize the sender and never read the email so I have to chase them down and try to manually get them enrolled. And it's 50/50 as to whether BerniePortal will let me sign them up manually. Sometimes I have to delete them and reload them without an email address. And I can never talk to them directly, I have to contact my broker to get answers. Most employees, when they see the name "BerniePortal" think it's some kind of spam and deletes it.

Kelly from Colorado Springs Housing Authority

Awesome

Since day 1 I have loved this system. I love the fact that it automatically sends you updates as personnel make changes, and that it sends a clear accounting of all elections for enrollment periods.

Pros

This program is perfect for staff who are not computer literate. I have many field technicians who have great difficulty maneuvering through systems, but they are very quick to get through BerniePortal with little to no assistance.

Cons

Would like a component that allows us to process our payroll internally and not sending information to a payroll vendor.

Use for selecting/adjusting/tracking benefits received through work

Pros

You can view your current benefit selections at any time, even if the HR team is off the clock at work.

Cons

The portal doesn't save all entered data so medical insurance benefits get inputted incorrectly, doctors get assigned incorrectly, and life insurance gets selected at incorrect amounts. It's also difficult to access different parts of the site without getting a direct link from HR, which is tedious.

Response from Bernard Health

Replied April 2018

Thank you for your feedback - We would like to help resolve any issues by clarifying a few points on BerniePortal functionality stated in your review: "the portal doesn't save all entered data so the medical insurance benefits get inputted incorrectly" - BerniePortal captures and saves exactly what the user enters into the system, so your medical information reflects an entry error rather than a system error. "Doctors get assigned incorrectly" - BerniePortal doesn¿t natively assign doctors or store doctor information. "Life insurance gets selected at incorrect amounts" - When an employee selects life insurance they use a slider bar to elect a coverage amount. If the requested amount is incorrect, it means the user selected a different amount of coverage than desired. BerniePortal guides employee enrollment with customizable content to help. If you continue to have questions, our Knowledge Base provides in-depth instructions. We hope that this explanation was helpful!

Gets you organized

Pros

Moving us from paper to digital. The best thing was how simple it was to use. I have employees that varies in age and computer knowledge and it was so easy! They were able to log in, fill out the form with ease and submit. Accessing the information after the fact was simple and the staff was just so happy that we went digital. On the back end as the administrator, it has all the reports I need and more. It was easy to go back and review files.

Cons

They have several additional features that you can use. However, they need more updates for it to be worthwhile.

Response from Bernard Health

Replied January 2019

We are thrilled that BerniePortal has been a valuable organizational tool for you! In regards to your comment on our additional HR features, we would love to hear your feedback on how to improve our product. We are continually developing our product and especially value our users' input. If you have any recommendations, please contact your Client Success representative.

Shayla from Home Solutions of Iowa

2 out of 10 stars.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend Bernie Portal. We only have this system because it goes along with our insurance company. If we didn't have to use it, we wouldn't. I'm just glad we're a smaller business so issues are easily fixable on MY end, since I can't count on Bernie Portal to fix it.

Pros

When employees enroll into benefits, we receive a detailed and easy to read enrollment form.

Cons

You cannot upload your own documents for employees to digitally sign, you have to send to your rep, and sometimes we've had another company's documents uploaded onto our profile. The pto feature is not user friendly whatsoever, and you can only use time off in half day or full days. The time tracking feature is nice, allows employees to clock in and out, but sometimes there are glitches and issues and all of a sudden everyone's times are missing - and no one has any idea on what's caused it. The customer service is also very slow, representatives take days to get back to you, a lot of them don't know the answers to questions, and have to keep sending you on over to others.

Response from Bernard Health

Replied February 2019

We're sorry to hear that you've had difficulty operating BerniePortal. I'd like to touch on a few items from your review to improve your experience: 1) You can create custom employee notices at the employer level using BerniePortal Compliance. 2) We've made significant improvements to the PTO feature--including the ability to request PTO in increments as small as 15 minutes. I'd really encourage you to take a deeper look at the other improvements we've made to the feature! 3) BerniePortal offers direct support to employers via the BerniePortal Employer Success team. I recommend reaching out to this team in order to fully investigate the unexpected behavior of your Time & Attendance feature. If you don't have the contact information for Employer Success already, your broker can send you in the right direction.

Tonya from BenEx, Inc.

Enhancements Needed

I love that we are not having to read employees handwriting.

Pros

I like the ease of moving around in the system.

Cons

1. We need to be able to ask a question once (example: are you married?) and not repeat the question for every benefit because it is on the enrollment form. 2. More explanation is needed on the dependents screen as to why the dependent information is needed. it is currently blank and doesn't give direction. 3. The inability to manipulate an employee's per pay check deduction based on a state based subsidy program that can change the amount quarterly. 4. Not listing the carrier name on the benefit. 5. Not being able to use different policy numbers within the same carrier.

Julie from Albers & Company

Client Information Specialist

Not that we are working with support team on a regular basis, it has been great! Very prompt for service issues.

Pros

I have found that it is pretty easy to set up portals for our clients. That is nice.

Cons

Not as much flexibility. Need to be able to fix enrollment on one item without having to re-do everything. For open enrollment, it would be great to be able to do a passive enrollment if the group had no benefit changes vs. making everyone enroll again (this has been a huge sore subject with clients).

Response from Bernard Health

Replied February 2019

We're glad to hear that you've had a positive support team experience! In regards to your comment, "For open enrollment, it would be great to be able to do a passive enrollment:" We appreciate this feedback¿we'll take it into consideration as we build out our product development calendar. While BerniePortal currently does not permit passive enrollment, it does remember past employee elections so that employees can easily move through open enrollment without re-evaluating each benefit option. Hopefully this can simplify your processes as we continue to invest in our product!

Susan from ProYouth

HR Benefits Coordinator

It s a great experience

Pros

Easy to use, fast, to the point. It isn't difficult to use

Cons

Nothing. I have experienced great things with this program

April from Emerson Construction Company, Inc.

One less headache

Pros

Very user friendly, easy to use, one less thing to worry about

Cons

Not able to self enroll existing employees.

Brandi from South Arkansas Community College

Bernie Portal Review

The Bernie Portal has been great for us. It has helped eliminate the amount of paperwork required. I work with our rep from The Hatcher Agency and he has been super helpful. He helps me with any problems.

Pros

I love the ease of the software. I am hoping to use more of the features.

Cons

The one con would be during open enrollment, employees are to choose each of their benefits again. Is there a way to list all of their benefits and then if they wanted to change, give them that option.