What are Gusto users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Gusto software through verified user reviews

3,460 Reviews

2,557

• icon"One of their competitors has some nice offerings, but we found that they were mostly for larger companies with more employees than we have. Gusto seemed a perfect fit for our size and our budget."
  • icon"The simplicity and ease of setting it up and using everyday is a big plus. The detailed instructions and guides about state laws is fantastic."
  • icon"The UX is super easy to work with and setting up the software is very pleasant. Our employees also like the emails they receive."
  • icon"Even after having an account with the company, I was unable to log into the android version. I was confused to whether the app even had anything to do with the company."
  • icon"The problems continued into this year - anytime I had a problem, it consistently took waaaaaay to much time to get a response from someone who could actually fix my problem."

Browse all Gusto Reviews

• Have you used Gusto and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 3,451 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 3,451 reviews

Matthew

Company size: 2 - 10 employees

Great value. All the features you need.

Axel

Payroll for all

I only use this app like 2 years beacuse some of my employeers forgotten this app and for me it was complicated use the app for pay the salary. but if your employeers are good in this, you really need this app.

Pros

You can pay services, salaries, all the things that you use money. you can check the time that your employeers work in. and the extra hours. You can pay services. But the unbeliavable thing is, that you can seen all the hours and the basic salary.

Cons

For a good functioning of this app, all the employeers need to stay constantly in this app, and if one person don't do that maybe you can had some problems in the app for the payroll

Monica

HR's perspective

The Gusto team is super helpful and knowledgeable about their product and services. It was a great experience.

Pros

Quick and easy to set up. Everything you need to run your HR and payroll department

Cons

It's a great tool and resources for small businesses

Reasons for choosing Gusto

The sales and customer service team.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Looking for more dynamic, interactive, intuitive product experience

Eugene

Customer Support Non-Existent if you have a Tax issue

You have to monitor everything that is processed from them. My mistake. Do not rely on their quality. You have to keep tabs on everything.

Pros

Online, payrol. my accountant had access

Cons

Have a tax issue where Gusto failed to file 940 and was a year late on a 941. I didnt check this (foolish me, though I was paying a service for this). I have a tax liability now. The main issue is that if you call customer service, there is NO ONE beyond the front line service. NO ONE from the tax department will call you, speak with you, or give you an update. You will get a canned email "we are working on your issue". Its clear at this point, that they have canned my issue and are hoping I resolve on my own. I was told twice by the front line girl, that I should call IRS and ask for extension. My attorney said NO...gusto trying to get off the hook and state that you took over this issue from them. Ready to break down at this point. Small business that cannot afford to spend (35:26 on hold right now) every day calling them with them stating "Someone from Tax will call you back before the end of the day" Hot Take...the phone number of the tax preparer is on every 941...starting to call them bitching about this. I dont know whether I owe the tax, it was a reporting issue, payroll processing issue, no idea. CANT GET ANYONE TO GIVE ME ANTHING. FRUSTRATED...VERY VERY VERY FRUSTRATED. I would not recommend this service.

Online and expense

Great for payroll

It's great for payroll. We don't pay for the leave management or other items because it is too expensive, but the payroll features are great.

Pros

Gusto is great for it's payroll and benefits platform. They do exactly as they say they are going to do and take care of all tax liabilities on time, with no concern of being wrong or late.

Cons

Their customer service is terrible. You typically get a representative that tells you the same thing that is in their knowledge base and then can't escalate you to talk to someone actually knowledgeable but can request a call back. The call backs don't happen and you receive an email, which typically doesn't answer your question because the initial representative didn't pass along the information correctly.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Reputation and ease of integration with other platforms.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Uzio failed to make tax payments on time, didn't setup our tax liabilities correctly with proof of correct paperwork, and have been an overall nightmare to work with.

Milan

Vimlan Tax Services LLC

Overall, 7 out of 10, could be better. It's better than most, but it needs to be better.

Pros

-It's web based -one login for staff for access to all clients. -MFA ability for each login -ability to control which clietns assigned to which login. - like other payroll engines, it does automatic paymetns (immediately) and automatic filings - multiple reports available, quarterly/monthly/yearly, etc. - tracks PTO, SIck, and auto generates if needed, - great integration with Tsheets for time clock

Cons

There is no ONE consolidated report for all clients on a custom period. EG, if I wanted a 1st quarter payroll report, with selected clients on each row of the report, and the columns having the headings for say, different data points like "gross payroll, net pay, 401K deferred, 401K roth, IL state tax paid, 941 done?" then that style of report is ONLY available if you pull that report down client by client, NOT for all clients or selected clients as a consolidated report. Email alerts are not there for specific things, like if a client exceeds a payrol amount or if a large net reimbursement check is done. There is NO mobile app. There is NO standard custom 401K year end "Annual census" report which ties in all the data points for a 5500 filing. Gusto also competes with providers for health insurance and 401K. Financial advisors like me only want Gusto to do the payroll part, not compete with us on the benefits part.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

The ability of one login for us as accountants/payroll processors, and to have the dashboard where we have access to all of our clients without the need for multiple logins. The ability to parse out clients for different logins is also key. The security this software offers is better than most. Just need email alerts and the consolidated reports which spans all clients in one report is what's needed, along with a mobile app.

Dominic

Gusto Review

Overall pleased with the software and it's been helpful to streamline our payroll.

Pros

The product was relatively easy to set up and to use. The customer service is helpful to talk through any issues we were having. Pretty straightforward overall.

Cons

The one issue we have with it is that it takes a couple days for direct deposit Training videos would be helpful. Can't pay an hourly rate and also commission

Reasons for choosing Gusto

A colleague recommended it and was very pleased with software/service.

Ashley

May 2022

Super simple payroll - always accurate!

Pros

The ease of use and the accuray. They also submit all the tax forms for me which save me a ton of time!

Cons

nothing really, it was easy to get started. Support is always super helpful and incredibly fast!

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Paychex messed up my payroll several times. Employees only put up with money mistakes so often. Support was all over the place and I never had the same account manager.

Dave

March 2022

I used to try and do payroll myself

Saves hours and hours.

Pros

Once the dashboard was set up with my information processing payroll is a matter of selecting and employee and entering their timecard. Click done

Cons

Sometimes I get emails about payroll from government tax entities and I have know idea what they are about.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Gusto is easier to understand and cost a little less, so it was worth it

Lissette

Industry: Veterinary

Gusto is great

Payroll management

Pros

Great interphase, great user experience, user-friendly, and just beautiful to look at.

Cons

Features are fine for what I use. In the future, if my team expands and I need to use more features I will put a review.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Beautiful interphase and overall better user experience. Also better reviews for small businesses.

Edie

Industry: Photography

Gusto Review

Pros

What we liked most about Gusto is the ease of use. It was very easy to understand.

Cons

We could not find anything that we disliked about this software.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Because it kept track of all of our employees.

waqar

Review About gusto

well overall this software has an excellent reputation, but I find some customers are complaining about the response time of their customer service.

Pros

1. This Software is very user-friendly and easy to use. 2. It includes all tax forms and multi-state payroll functions. 3. All plans include unlimited payroll, accounting integrations, and multi-state payroll. 4. high paid plans include premium employee onboarding tools, employee directory, and time management tools

Cons

1. this software does not offer free plans or a trial period. 2. Low-paid plans do not include a time management feature. 3. It does not have an activity dashboard, bank information, or year-round record keeping

Karen

Gusto is worth a try

Gusto I believe will make our process better as we start the new year. I would not recommend a midyear conversion unless necessary as they could not support our questions .

Pros

Gusto removed a number of time consuming activities from my staff at a reasonable price. Once set up the software has been easy to use, but getting to this point took more time than we anticipated.

Cons

Customer service is lacking. Their CS team does not understand their own product and much time is spent educating THEIR staff. Set up mid-year was also difficult even though our account manager said we would have assistance.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

At the time price and perceived value .

Poor service

December 2021

Great Payroll Software for a Great Price

Overall, Gusto is great tool for achieving many of the Human Resource and Payroll functions for companies of all sizes. Gusto's ability to operate immediately as well as its ease of use make it perfect. The reminder functions in Gusto are phenomenal, well thought out and appropriately timed. The system runs well, without any issues. In fact, I don't really recall ever having an issue running payroll because Gusto was down. The product is well worth the money and has a great price point, considering all of the available functions. I would highly recommend Gusto.

Pros

Gusto allows you to run payroll, effectively, upon sign-up. The system has numerous features that help to ensure that you are reminded when payroll is supposed to be run (as an administrator its something that is frequently forgotten when extremely busy), automatically tabulates and prepares tax documents for employees and contractors and even assisted with the preparation of forms for SBA Loans during the COVID-19 pandemic. The software is straightforward and is fairly self explanatory. Gusto is also a great onboarding tool that allows you to collect a significant portion of information needed to effectively onboard an employee and comply with state and federal requirements (E-verify, etc.) Overall, the software is excellent for its price point and well worth the money.

Cons

The only con associated with Gusto is the lack of customizable report options. Obviously, this con is more of a company or need specific issue. We found that utilizing Gusto for certain reporting needs for data generation was cumbersome or not really possible. However, I must also say that there have only been two instances over the last 1-2 years that we have encountered this problem and were able to successfully obtain this information from other resources.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

We ultimately selected Gusto because of the price point, ease of use and dependability associated with Gusto.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

We made the switch from both Xero and QuickBooks because we found the software with Quickbooks to be overly cumbersome for our use. Further, Xero lacked a lot of the functions that we felt we needed. Gusto is able to accommodate both needs associated with our intended use.

Brenton

The best payroll service period! I'm always recommending to others!

From my very first client to the many I've added since, Gusto has been easy to get in touch with.

Pros

Setting up the company is a breeze. It walks you through every step to help make sure you have all the information correct. It'll even show you how to get state and local tax numbers, if needed. Setting up employees is even easier! All you need is the employees name, pay rate, and email! How crazy is that. After you enter that information, and email gets sent to the new employee to fill out all their paperwork online. Remember though to get their i-9 forms, because once they are done filling out their paperwork, you'll need to verify their i-9 docs, but it's way too easy!! Haha. Let's run payroll. Well, if it's the same each time, you can have it set up to go auto. Set it and forget it! If not, again, they make it easy. Click run payoll. Enter the times for your employees, days off, yada yada, and then submit. If you need to make a change to an employee while running payroll, just click on their name and it pulls them up for editing. Gusto submits all tax payments and reports too. Even submits child support!

Cons

One time deductions. I would love to see that feature. As for now, you have to create a deduction on the employee screen, then go back to the process payroll screen. I wish it could be added to the other more detailed pay options.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Gusto is on the cloud. Employee on boarding. Federal, State and Local payments and filings.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Ease of use compared to cost.

Best payroll company out there

Hands down the best and most cost-effective payroll bureau I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. I will not only recommend it to clients that don't have a payroll service but I will recommend it over any other payroll service there is essentially. It's way cheaper and way easier to use. I also have seen less mistakes then pay checks or ADP as I have worked with their payroll reports quite often when doing bookkeeping

Pros

We used to do around payroll through a company called pay soft.. or ProPay maybe another name for it. The program was decent a little bit cumbersome and the check stock was extremely expensive. They did their own payroll as a bureau. As a result of having their own proprietary software built they also sold it which was overpriced and in the long run didn't make us money. Just being a recommendation agency essentially and controlling if you ever clients payroll through gusto it's made us more money and they offer way more than ADP or paychecks ever has offered us.

Cons

There's not much I don't like about this software besides maybe the fact that it isn't really a software that you download it's an internet interface so if you're internet somehow becomes unreachable or it's down you can't really print out checks with proper taxes withheld. This is An occurrence few and far between and can always be advanced and then paid back once you can access it again. A desktop GUI that just calls in the website would be a handy tool for owners and accountants to be able to take more effort into their own hands on payroll

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Paysoft payroll or ProPay would be its software that I used was inferior. They would not even give you the update to make w-2s unless you resubscribed for the year. Their check stock would cost about $500 for a box. It is absolutely insane what they charge people. I understand that they are their own payroll bureau but if they are going to offer their software out for accounting firms then they shouldn't financially rape their customers which they do and I'm sure they'll continue. This is also why they will never be a name that anyone knows

Rick

Payroll with a personal touch

I’ve used Gusto as a freelancer with clients that operate their business with this service. I also use it at my day job with my Agency to manage my team's time off benefits and payroll. It’s a great product that I find myself recommending to others all the time

Pros

There are many products available that handle payroll, benefits, and employee database. My favorite thing about Gusto is that it uses a very human and personal approach to what could very easily be a cold and lifeless system or department. I love the option to add contractors through he payroll system too. The gusto customer service team is top notch. Turbo Tax integration is fantastic

Cons

There’s very little to complain about with Gusto. I do wish it had a more catered option for freelancer one man band type of operations.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Gusto has a personal touch and they’re customer service team is fantastic too

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Gusto is a product that feels like it’s designed by people who think about people.

Jenni

Best DIY software in the payroll market

I have been using Gusto for for a couple of years now and love it. They are consistently working on improving and seek guidance from their partners. Like with any software, there are funny little quirks that you get to know. Overall, it is a fantastic platform.

Pros

Gusto's self-onboarding and employee communication is leaps and bounds ahead of their competition, as is their clean, user-friendly interface.

Cons

Customer service has been struggling recently. There should be a way to have a salary that doesn't change when the hours are changed. The other downside is that if there is an error, you have to void the entire payroll. An option to void a single check would be a great improvement.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Direct deposit turnaround, features that Patriot doesn't support

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Gusto is more user friendly and allows for collaboration with the employer, employee and payroll processor.

Carly

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

William

Foundational HR Tools for the Little Guys

Excellent! I love their customer service, I love that they keep me aware of what's going on in the world of HR/Payroll laws. I love that they helped find retirement and heath care options for my employees so that I can grow the benefits to my folks! I'm obviously a big fan of what these guys are doing.

Pros

These guys make me compliant with the evolving landscape of HR and payroll without distracting me from the core functions of my small business. They made on-boarding from my old payroll system easy. They found mistakes I'd made and helped me to correct them so even my tax history was compliant. Their customer service is excellent and I'm incredibly pleased with their Homebase integration. Super clean!

Cons

While the onboarding was much smoother than I anticipated, it was still a bit more cumbersome than described. It's definitely a hands-on process.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Gusto made their pricing clear and demonstrated their ability to make onboarding as clean and easy as possible.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

QuickBooks is incredibly cumbersome and I was often left with enormous doubt as to whether what I needed to do was actually done. Their integrations for payment of taxes were difficult and I was still left to the legwork of filing. The amount of time I spent doing HR was eating up my ability to react and get ahead of all the other COVID-19 requirements.

Karen

Great Payroll Processing Platform for Small Businesses

Overall Gusto has been great for our company. We save time and money handling payroll in-house, as opposed to paying an outside service to do it for us. And we have peace of mind that Gusto is there to support us when/if we need it.

Pros

Gusto has been a great resource for us to handle our own payroll processing & HR management in-house. It is super easy to set up and manage and has a really intuitive user interface. Onboarding new employees is a snap, time-tracking is simple to manage for both employees and managers, and running payroll only takes us a few minutes twice a month. Having employees able to manage their own banking info and paycheck splits and W4s has saved our HR dept a ton of time and headaches. And we love having an online library of company forms and documents we can distribute to employees quickly and easily. Also, their customer support is amazing. We are signed up for the Conceriege level service and have a dedicated team of customer service people who are knowledgable and friendly and responsive and have helped us out with innumerable questions.

Cons

Moving from our previous payroll processor (ADP) to Gusto was easy, because we decided to do it at the beginning of a new fiscal year. The one issue we did experience was in setting up our company's Federal and State tax filing details. Gusto does not assist you with this, so we had to track down all of our company's employer account #s and UI tax rates and filing frequencies for the 3 different states where we have employees and manually enter it into Gusto. We ended up making a mistake on one state's filing frequency, which ended up costing us a bit of $$ in penalties. It would have been nice if Gusto had been able to assist us with this as part of the switch over from ADP. Also, Gusto does not offer benefits administration in our state (yet). Hopefully that will be coming soon, as it would be nice to handle payroll and benefits through one platform. And they could cut down on the number of "recommended" services from affiliated companies that pop up on the admin dashboard these days.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

Price, ease of use and better customer reviews

Reasons for switching to Gusto

We were using ADP through an administrative services company who was handling all of our payroll and hr benefits. But they did a terrible job and we ended up cancelling our contract with them and decided to try bringing payroll processing in-house.

Alicia

I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients

Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros

Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons

I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

Reasons for choosing Gusto

I’ve got experience with all of these payroll companies. I feel that Gusto is the most reliable and easiest to understand and use.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Gusto is easier to use than RUN and is cheaper. It also has much better support. ADP plays sales games sometimes.

Delene

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP

We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros

We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons

The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

Reasons for choosing Gusto

They had great reviews, they provided all of the options that we required and their pricing was fabulous!

Reasons for switching to Gusto

The number one reason we switched was because the customer service with Intuit Quickbooks is horrible. You cannot talk to a human, you have to jump through so many menus on the phone, it's actually hard to find a phone number sometimes, and the representatives cannot always solve the issue. We wanted a payroll company that was not complicated - and we found it in Gusto!!!

Alex

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Cost and ease of use.

Knox

Literally a worry-free payroll solution

Gusto saves our company lots of time! I spend literally an hour on HR/payroll each week, because Gusto does so much of the heavy lifting. For the price, I totally believe I am getting great ROI. It also integrates well with our accounting software.

Pros

Gusto makes managing employee relations, payroll, and benefits so simple. You truly get a lot of bang for your buck. We're able to manage payroll processing; time/attendance; benefits; onboarding; and salary offers all in place. Their web-based technology has great up-time and is very easy to use. I also like the fact that Gusto does all of your federal and state payroll document filings and return (quarterly and annual). Every form needed to remain in compliance with the feds and state are filed by Gusto on your behalf. That takes the headache away and allows my company to focus on matters that are more critical at this time.

Cons

There is not much I can say here other than their support isn't necessarily a phone call away. That said, they answer emails and tickets super quick. I haven't been much in a pinch to need an immediate response to issues, and their self-service support center is rather extensive.

Pricing; bang for buck.