All Gusto Reviews

Matthew

2 - 10 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed February 2021

Great value. All the features you need.

Jenni

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2021

Best DIY software in the payroll market

I have been using Gusto for for a couple of years now and love it. They are consistently working on improving and seek guidance from their partners. Like with any software, there are funny little quirks that you get to know. Overall, it is a fantastic platform.

PROS

Gusto's self-onboarding and employee communication is leaps and bounds ahead of their competition, as is their clean, user-friendly interface.

CONS

Customer service has been struggling recently. There should be a way to have a salary that doesn't change when the hours are changed. The other downside is that if there is an error, you have to void the entire payroll. An option to void a single check would be a great improvement.

Reason for choosing Gusto

Direct deposit turnaround, features that Patriot doesn't support

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Gusto is more user friendly and allows for collaboration with the employer, employee and payroll processor.

Kenzie

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 2-10 employees

Easy to use!

PROS

I love the ease that comes with using Gusto! I have used other payroll softwares in the past and they have glitched and been frustrating. I have never had any issues with Gusto and love all of its features!

CONS

I have yet to find a feature I don't like!

WORST Customer Service

Beyond bad, this this the worst company we've ever dealt with.

PROS

On time direct payroll was nice, but other than that they have HORRIBLE service and charge you for fees way past your cancellation.

Wayne

Sporting Goods, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Great Online HR platform

Utilized a 3P administrator to establish & set-up a structure for our org. Need a long learning curve to understand.

PROS

Online all the time when you need it…easy to search & reference simple items & documents used regularly.

CONS

Wish there was more intuitive interface on tax compliance & other non regular tasks.

Reason for choosing Gusto

Cost was a significant factor in Our choice as well as the interface pf the employees.

Cost of ADP was too significant against Gusto

Aries

Retail, 2-10 employees

Gusto Product Review

Overall, Gusto is an amazing for Payroll purposes and the customer service is on point.

PROS

What I find great about Gusto is that the dashboard is very user friendly intuitive to use.

CONS

The least thing that I like about Gusto is the lack of option to sign documents when needed.

Branka

Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees

Gusto is super great for Small Employers

Great experience, I would use them again if I go to a super small company and their customer service is great also.

PROS

Easy to use for administrators and employees.

CONS

Not user friendly for companies over 50 employees.

Jeanette

Philanthropy, 2-10 employees

easy payroll for employees

PROS

Makes payroll easy and automated. The easiest system I have ever worked with from the employee side.

CONS

Everything works great - no complaints or even questions.

Dana

Computer Hardware, 11-50 employees

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed February 2024

Easy to use!

Would definitely recommend and will continue to use

PROS

Very user friendly and the features were great

CONS

Nothing it was very easy to learn and use

Thu Htoo

Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Reviewed April 2024

Gusto review

Good for HR admin and business operation make faster to complete task.

PROS

User-friendly interface, easy to use. Gusto do automatically task and payroll processes.

CONS

Some of the limitations and cost are not easy for small business

Information Services, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 6 months

Great Interface as a user

PROS

I worked for a company that used Gusto, and it was the best HR portal I had used.

CONS

I had no issue with the software. It was always easy to login and get my information.

Karen

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2020

Great Payroll Processing Platform for Small Businesses

Overall Gusto has been great for our company. We save time and money handling payroll in-house, as opposed to paying an outside service to do it for us. And we have peace of mind that Gusto is there to support us when/if we need it.

PROS

Gusto has been a great resource for us to handle our own payroll processing & HR management in-house. It is super easy to set up and manage and has a really intuitive user interface. Onboarding new employees is a snap, time-tracking is simple to manage for both employees and managers, and running payroll only takes us a few minutes twice a month. Having employees able to manage their own banking info and paycheck splits and W4s has saved our HR dept a ton of time and headaches. And we love having an online library of company forms and documents we can distribute to employees quickly and easily. Also, their customer support is amazing. We are signed up for the Conceriege level service and have a dedicated team of customer service people who are knowledgable and friendly and responsive and have helped us out with innumerable questions.

CONS

Moving from our previous payroll processor (ADP) to Gusto was easy, because we decided to do it at the beginning of a new fiscal year. The one issue we did experience was in setting up our company's Federal and State tax filing details. Gusto does not assist you with this, so we had to track down all of our company's employer account #s and UI tax rates and filing frequencies for the 3 different states where we have employees and manually enter it into Gusto. We ended up making a mistake on one state's filing frequency, which ended up costing us a bit of $$ in penalties. It would have been nice if Gusto had been able to assist us with this as part of the switch over from ADP. Also, Gusto does not offer benefits administration in our state (yet). Hopefully that will be coming soon, as it would be nice to handle payroll and benefits through one platform. And they could cut down on the number of "recommended" services from affiliated companies that pop up on the admin dashboard these days.

Reason for choosing Gusto

Price, ease of use and better customer reviews

Reasons for switching to Gusto

We were using ADP through an administrative services company who was handling all of our payroll and hr benefits. But they did a terrible job and we ended up cancelling our contract with them and decided to try bringing payroll processing in-house.

Medical Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed December 2021

Great Payroll Software for a Great Price

Overall, Gusto is great tool for achieving many of the Human Resource and Payroll functions for companies of all sizes. Gusto's ability to operate immediately as well as its ease of use make it perfect. The reminder functions in Gusto are phenomenal, well thought out and appropriately timed. The system runs well, without any issues. In fact, I don't really recall ever having an issue running payroll because Gusto was down. The product is well worth the money and has a great price point, considering all of the available functions. I would highly recommend Gusto.

PROS

Gusto allows you to run payroll, effectively, upon sign-up. The system has numerous features that help to ensure that you are reminded when payroll is supposed to be run (as an administrator its something that is frequently forgotten when extremely busy), automatically tabulates and prepares tax documents for employees and contractors and even assisted with the preparation of forms for SBA Loans during the COVID-19 pandemic. The software is straightforward and is fairly self explanatory. Gusto is also a great onboarding tool that allows you to collect a significant portion of information needed to effectively onboard an employee and comply with state and federal requirements (E-verify, etc.) Overall, the software is excellent for its price point and well worth the money.

CONS

The only con associated with Gusto is the lack of customizable report options. Obviously, this con is more of a company or need specific issue. We found that utilizing Gusto for certain reporting needs for data generation was cumbersome or not really possible. However, I must also say that there have only been two instances over the last 1-2 years that we have encountered this problem and were able to successfully obtain this information from other resources.

Reason for choosing Gusto

We ultimately selected Gusto because of the price point, ease of use and dependability associated with Gusto.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

We made the switch from both Xero and QuickBooks because we found the software with Quickbooks to be overly cumbersome for our use. Further, Xero lacked a lot of the functions that we felt we needed. Gusto is able to accommodate both needs associated with our intended use.

Tony

Reviewed May 2023

Don't Waste Your Time - Either pay for Pro or Don't choose Gusto

PROS

I like that they take care of filing the payroll tax forms

CONS

Their customer service is HORRIBLE. LONG wait times. Talking with folks who do not speak English as their first language. No commitment to getting issues resolved.One of my clients' payroll was blocked because an error in Gusto's system caused them to think that I wasn't paying the bill. Turns out it was a software issue on their end and there was nothing I could do to fix it.I called right away at the beginning of the month and was told it would be resolved in a few days.At the end of the month, it appeared the issue had still not resolved, so I called in. They said they would create a ticket.A week later the issue was still not resolved (and as of the time of me writing this, it's still not resolved).This was nothing my client did wrong. This was nothing I did wrong. This was an issue with Gusto's back office.But yet, my client was the one who suffered because we could not process payroll on time.No one took responsibility to escalate and resolve this issue.For my friends who have a dedicated account rep, I've been told it works well.But if you don't have an account rep, don't waste your money on Gusto.It will be the biggest mistake you can make (aside from maybe choosing Quickbooks Payroll...)

Reason for choosing Gusto

They have a large marketing presence in the Accounting community and so I thought I could trust them.I was wrong.What a poor experience.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

This horrible experience I mentioned in my review

Kira

Real Estate, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Great Product at a Minimal Cost

Overall I am currently happy with Gusto as our payroll and onboarding solution. However if we continue to have issues with taxes, then we might change our mind in the future.

PROS

I really like utilizing Gusto for payroll, onboarding, and tax management. The system is really easy to use and it streamlines processes very well. The payroll calculation is so easy and it only takes about 5 minutes to run payroll which is great.

CONS

A few things I do not like about Gusto is the glitches, accountability, and response time from their support team. The system seems to glitch quite frequently which needs to be rebooted. We have had some issues with Gusto completing our taxes incorrectly or late which caused us to pay late fees and it was quite frustrating. Their response time on support tickets can be multiple days which is frustrating when it comes to urgent notices.

Reason for choosing Gusto

We decided to choose Gusto as our owner knew people who had success with the program and pricing.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

Sage is not user friendly and the cloud version never worked for our company. It was taking one whole day to complete payroll previously which is ridiculously for a company of our size.

Phillip

Law Practice, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2022

Gusto has worked well for our law office

I considered several different options for payroll/HR management before settling on Gusto. I was a bit hesitant to choose Gusto, due to it being a bit more expensive than other options. However, the product has worked very well. It provides excellent value for the price paid.

PROS

Benefits to using Gusto:- Ease of use, both for employer and employees.- Employees can clock in and clock out using an app on their smartphone. My employees comment on how much they like this compared to other time tracking systems they have used as past employers.- I was able to easily connect my CPA in with Gusto so he can monitor tax and accounting items.- Gusto automates the employee onboarding process, making the whole process a lot easier than it would otherwise be.- Bottom line: the product works well, is intuitive to use, and is efficient.

CONS

Gusto's ability to work seamlessly with 401k contributions is limited. I have to manually send our financial advisor the 401k contribution information for employee elective deferrals. Not the end of the world and certainly not a deal-killer, but it is a mild inconvenience.

Reason for choosing Gusto

Gusto had high ratings and several people I knew personally (including my CPA) highly recommended Gusto.

Sandy

Reviewed March 2020

User Friendly

Very good. We always recommend Gusto as one of the top payroll companies to use for our clients that are starting payroll for the first time.

PROS

I use Gusto for my clients as well as for our own company. I find it very user friendly, especially for my tech-phobic clients. I also like their tech support. They are easy to reach by phone, chat or email and the technicians are very patient.

CONS

The import mapping. This is the only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars. When the payroll is simple, the mapping is fine but for more complicated payrolls, the mapping is a nightmare. Also, that it imports to Xero as a bill. Clients find it really difficult to grasp how to work with this. In their mind payroll has already been "paid" so when they see it show up as an unpaid bill, they get confused or worried that their employees didn't get paid.

Reason for choosing Gusto

We give the pro's and con's to our clients and let them make their choice. Our company chose Gusto because we use Xero and they are partnered.

Thomas

Construction, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2021

Better than nothing

I am disappointed. I though I was getting a first tier payroll software with faster turnaround for less money. I got a lees than complete feature set with hit or miss service.

PROS

It is easy to use and set up. It is much more straightforward than many of its competitors. Onboarding was mostly drama free.

CONS

The system is not as robust and feature rich as its key top tier competitors like QB or ADP. Once we started using it we found features missing that we took for granted would be there. One of the key things that made us choose Gusto was the ability to give our staff direct deposit payments next day. In practice the design of the system makes that impossible for us. We discovered a glitch in the system that prevented us from properly reporting overtime in our state. Gusto was unable to find what was wrong or give us a workaround, We found one ourselves minutes from our payroll deadline. Customer support is erratic, with some folks providing helpful and timely support while others are not significantly better than us guessing . We kept getting routed to our designated representative when all we needed was a simple question to be answered. The time it took to locate and hook up with our rep was longer then it took to get an answer. Pro tip to customer support: If you don't know the answer, dont send me a link to some general background topic. It does not help.

Reasons for switching to Gusto

hoping for something better and easier to set up and maintain

Barbara

Reviewed October 2022

Switching back to Square Payroll by year-end

Not at all pleased. I was hoping to love this but did not