(2,098)

2,098

• Pros

• "The interface was friendly and fun. Easy to hire and fire. The breakdown of taxes was easy to understand. "

• "I really enjoy this program, everything is easy to find and very user friendly."

• "fast and reliable service i am very pleased with them"

• Cons

• "Gusto can be bogged down at times, I’ve had slight issues with on boarding information getting lost but customer service has always been quick to respond and assist. "

• "The way the line items are fed into Xero/Quickbooks is a bit off sometimes. Other than that is has been great."

• "Site navigation can be a little bit difficult at times. I have to do some searching to find what I am looking for. Reporting is OK but could be better."

Browse Gusto Reviews

Jenni from Want & Emery CPA's

Best DIY software in the payroll market

I have been using Gusto for for a couple of years now and love it. They are consistently working on improving and seek guidance from their partners. Like with any software, there are funny little quirks that you get to know. Overall, it is a fantastic platform.

Pros

Gusto's self-onboarding and employee communication is leaps and bounds ahead of their competition, as is their clean, user-friendly interface.

Cons

Customer service has been struggling recently. There should be a way to have a salary that doesn't change when the hours are changed. The other downside is that if there is an error, you have to void the entire payroll. An option to void a single check would be a great improvement.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Direct deposit turnaround, features that Patriot doesn't support

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is more user friendly and allows for collaboration with the employer, employee and payroll processor.

Andrew from Norcal Business and Tax Services

Best payroll company out there

Hands down the best and most cost-effective payroll bureau I have ever had the pleasure to do business with. I will not only recommend it to clients that don't have a payroll service but I will recommend it over any other payroll service there is essentially. It's way cheaper and way easier to use. I also have seen less mistakes then pay checks or ADP as I have worked with their payroll reports quite often when doing bookkeeping

Pros

We used to do around payroll through a company called pay soft.. or ProPay maybe another name for it. The program was decent a little bit cumbersome and the check stock was extremely expensive. They did their own payroll as a bureau. As a result of having their own proprietary software built they also sold it which was overpriced and in the long run didn't make us money. Just being a recommendation agency essentially and controlling if you ever clients payroll through gusto it's made us more money and they offer way more than ADP or paychecks ever has offered us.

Cons

There's not much I don't like about this software besides maybe the fact that it isn't really a software that you download it's an internet interface so if you're internet somehow becomes unreachable or it's down you can't really print out checks with proper taxes withheld. This is An occurrence few and far between and can always be advanced and then paid back once you can access it again. A desktop GUI that just calls in the website would be a handy tool for owners and accountants to be able to take more effort into their own hands on payroll

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Paysoft payroll or ProPay would be its software that I used was inferior. They would not even give you the update to make w-2s unless you resubscribed for the year. Their check stock would cost about $500 for a box. It is absolutely insane what they charge people. I understand that they are their own payroll bureau but if they are going to offer their software out for accounting firms then they shouldn't financially rape their customers which they do and I'm sure they'll continue. This is also why they will never be a name that anyone knows

ian from North Seattle Chiropractic

Wasted my time and money, was literally counting the days until the end of the fiscal year.

negative, cumbersome, patronizing, too expensive.

Pros

Nothing. I was migrated to it from XERO, when they decided to no longer do payroll

Cons

Honestly, I HATED the stupid animated piggy bank. Probably seems trivial, but it seemed emblematic of a company that was more concerned about making their software look like an iPhone app, than making it work well. The payroll was cumbersome. It woudn't let me do payroll early, or late. It basically made me run payroll within a two day window. Bank account low? Still made you run payroll, or would hassle you about messages about being late. Want to go on vacation and do a couple weeks of payroll early? Nope, out of luck. When they told me they would manage my health care premiums, I thought, great! Nope, after a week of emails and after several phone calls, I found out they were just trying to be group managers, and insurance brokers by offering me different insurers that I could choose. Zero help if I already had a group plan set up. Plus too expensive. Patriot is way simpler, and way cheaper. I do see lots of my millenial patients that are working for startups that probably won't be in business in 5 years seem to have Gusto as their payroll, so I'm just not the business that Gusto is a fit for.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

was forced to Gusto when Xero quit doing payroll.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

It was really just unwieldy, and poorly designed software.

Rick from Sandoval Agency

Payroll with a personal touch

I’ve used Gusto as a freelancer with clients that operate their business with this service. I also use it at my day job with my Agency to manage my team's time off benefits and payroll. It’s a great product that I find myself recommending to others all the time

Pros

There are many products available that handle payroll, benefits, and employee database. My favorite thing about Gusto is that it uses a very human and personal approach to what could very easily be a cold and lifeless system or department. I love the option to add contractors through he payroll system too. The gusto customer service team is top notch. Turbo Tax integration is fantastic

Cons

There’s very little to complain about with Gusto. I do wish it had a more catered option for freelancer one man band type of operations.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto has a personal touch and they’re customer service team is fantastic too

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is a product that feels like it’s designed by people who think about people.

Carly from Momentum Tax & Financial

Awesome Product and Support Staff

Payroll and tax payments can be time consuming and Gusto allows for the accounting team to do more important work and still feel like everything is being taken care of on the payroll side. Their customer service teams are extremely supportive and helpful.

Pros

Auto-sync and tax payments are the best features of the product that go above other products. Gusto will file the taxes for you, will send corrections if need be, and keeps track of all of that for your ease of mind. Their customer service team is above reproach, always willing to look into a problem and resolve it as soon as possible.

Cons

This is nitpicky, but the layout of the website often changes slightly. It would be nice if there was more consistency in the format. But the tool itself is above reproach.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto is a really good choice for small business owners who want to have the support of a full payroll service program, without the crazy costs that can go along with that.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

QBO Payroll requires you to file most of the extra paperwork and taxes yourself, but Gusto takes care of that automatically for you.

Karen from Rational Acoustics LLC

Great Payroll Processing Platform for Small Businesses

Overall Gusto has been great for our company. We save time and money handling payroll in-house, as opposed to paying an outside service to do it for us. And we have peace of mind that Gusto is there to support us when/if we need it.

Pros

Gusto has been a great resource for us to handle our own payroll processing & HR management in-house. It is super easy to set up and manage and has a really intuitive user interface. Onboarding new employees is a snap, time-tracking is simple to manage for both employees and managers, and running payroll only takes us a few minutes twice a month. Having employees able to manage their own banking info and paycheck splits and W4s has saved our HR dept a ton of time and headaches. And we love having an online library of company forms and documents we can distribute to employees quickly and easily. Also, their customer support is amazing. We are signed up for the Conceriege level service and have a dedicated team of customer service people who are knowledgable and friendly and responsive and have helped us out with innumerable questions.

Cons

Moving from our previous payroll processor (ADP) to Gusto was easy, because we decided to do it at the beginning of a new fiscal year. The one issue we did experience was in setting up our company's Federal and State tax filing details. Gusto does not assist you with this, so we had to track down all of our company's employer account #s and UI tax rates and filing frequencies for the 3 different states where we have employees and manually enter it into Gusto. We ended up making a mistake on one state's filing frequency, which ended up costing us a bit of $$ in penalties. It would have been nice if Gusto had been able to assist us with this as part of the switch over from ADP. Also, Gusto does not offer benefits administration in our state (yet). Hopefully that will be coming soon, as it would be nice to handle payroll and benefits through one platform. And they could cut down on the number of "recommended" services from affiliated companies that pop up on the admin dashboard these days.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Price, ease of use and better customer reviews

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We were using ADP through an administrative services company who was handling all of our payroll and hr benefits. But they did a terrible job and we ended up cancelling our contract with them and decided to try bringing payroll processing in-house.

Payroll for the twenty first century

Overall, even though we were hesitant at first, we couldn’t be happier that we made the switch from our previous provider. We’ve gotten lots of very positive feedback from our employees on the system as well!

Pros

I love the clean, simple, modern, easy to use user interface and user experience - for both the admin and employees in Gusto. It feels robust and relevant, not clunky and convoluted like many other outdated, expensive systems.

Cons

I do wish there were some more integrations, and/or that the present integrations were slightly more robust.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Customer support and ease of on boarding & overall very smooth user experience with modern interface

Cost primarily

Melissa from TN Turfgrass Association

Payroll Software that cannot be beat!

Gusto payroll makes running payroll for my company very easy and hassle free. I am so glad that when I was reviewing payroll software I found gusto. I highly recommend it to anyone who is using other softwares.

Pros

I absolutely love gusto. I cannot say enough things about it. It was so easy to set up and even easier to use to run payroll. I love that there is an app for the employees where they can get alerts, set up their bank accounts, add bank accounts and then choose how much goes into each account. It gives them full control. Gusto handles all the payroll tax reporting so that is one less thing that I have to worry about. They have an excellent customer service staff who are readily available to help you should you need help.

Cons

This service does not have any cons. There is not one single thing that I can think of that I dislike about gusto.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I chose Gusto because they had the best price as well as an easy to use web portal. I love that I brought my payroll in house and no longer have to rely on something else to do it for me. Honestly, I cannot say enough good things about Gusto. Highly recommend.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I wanted to bring my payroll in house.

Michael from Wags West LLC

Industry: Veterinary

Excellent Payroll Service

Overall, it's my experience has been positive. My account was easy to set up. I'm confident that it will be correct.

Pros

This software is extremely easy to set-up and use. I called customer service a couple of times and received excellent support . I highly recommend this product.

Cons

I would like to see more features in onboarding. I'd like the ability to send training videos and other attachments to my new hire before their actual start date. Also, I'd love to see better integration with QB accounting to the payroll detail level. Right now, the download only syncs as wages and taxes.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Quickbooks is great as a simple accounting software. I added on QB full service payroll. It was terrible. They made mistakes for three consecutive quarters which resulted in penalties and interest. In addition, customer service is either difficult to reach (sometimes 1-2 hour wait times) or completely unable to answer simple questions. Each customer service call resulted in at least an hour of my time which is doesn't work for small business.

Joel from Bengal Law: Florida Accident Lawyers and Personal Injury Attorneys PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Gusto is my favorite app

Gusto is actually my favorite app that I use. I highly recommend Gusto for small, busy employers who want an easy solution to payroll. Their onboarding and support team is AWESOME too! I sound like a fanboy, but I have to tell you what a difference I had between using Wells Fargo Payroll and then switching to Gusto. Gusto sets the bar so high that when I don't get the Gusto experience with my other apps/ services, I miss Gusto.

Pros

Gusto is so easy to use! Gusto makes payroll a breeze!

Cons

Really, I have no complaints (and I usually do have complaints about software).

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

The reviews and ease of use. I also had a friend who used it and liked it.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Wells Fargo shut down, so I looked at a number of options. I'm so glad that I chose Gusto.

William from Ebenezers Coffeehouse

Foundational HR Tools for the Little Guys

Excellent! I love their customer service, I love that they keep me aware of what's going on in the world of HR/Payroll laws. I love that they helped find retirement and heath care options for my employees so that I can grow the benefits to my folks! I'm obviously a big fan of what these guys are doing.

Pros

These guys make me compliant with the evolving landscape of HR and payroll without distracting me from the core functions of my small business. They made on-boarding from my old payroll system easy. They found mistakes I'd made and helped me to correct them so even my tax history was compliant. Their customer service is excellent and I'm incredibly pleased with their Homebase integration. Super clean!

Cons

While the onboarding was much smoother than I anticipated, it was still a bit more cumbersome than described. It's definitely a hands-on process.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto made their pricing clear and demonstrated their ability to make onboarding as clean and easy as possible.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

QuickBooks is incredibly cumbersome and I was often left with enormous doubt as to whether what I needed to do was actually done. Their integrations for payment of taxes were difficult and I was still left to the legwork of filing. The amount of time I spent doing HR was eating up my ability to react and get ahead of all the other COVID-19 requirements.

Alicia from Bellatrix Law LLC

I’m an employment lawyer and I consistently recommend Gusto to my clients

Customer support is great. This is a good company. They aren’t the cheapest. And they aren’t the most expensive. I think the extra cost is worth it to ensure compliance.

Pros

Gusto is easy and straightforward to use. But it doesn’t sacrifice accuracy for ease. What I like most about Gusto is that it makes it easy for small businesses to be legally compliant with complicated wage laws across jurisdictions. I haven’t found a legal error yet — and I can’t say that about any other payroll software or service I’ve worked with over the last 15 years.

Cons

I wish the price didn’t jump up so much for time clock feature. Getting clients to use the integrated time clock can be a challenge, and it creates unnecessary problems. It should be included in the base fee.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I’ve got experience with all of these payroll companies. I feel that Gusto is the most reliable and easiest to understand and use.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Gusto is easier to use than RUN and is cheaper. It also has much better support. ADP plays sales games sometimes.

Delene from Ostler Orthodontics

CUSTOMER SERVICE IS OVER THE TOP

We have had Intuit (quickbooks) for years and years. And for years and years we have hated it. The customer service is horrible, and so we finally decided to try something else. We found Gusto on an internet search, did a little research and decided that this smaller company might just be what we were looking for. Entering all of the employee information and weekly payroll numbers is super simple. The screens are easy to understand, not cluttered at all. And the Pig - oh the pig - there's a cute little pig that takes a walk when you switch screens. He's a cutie!!!

Pros

We are finally done with Intuit Payroll. So difficult to actually talk to a live person when you need help. I did a little research and found that Gusto does payroll for small companies so I decided to give them a try. My thought was that it certainly can't be any worse than Intuit. And WOW - did they ever Overdeliver! The absolute best thing about Gusto is that you don't have to go through a bazillion menus on the phone trying to figure out which number to press so that your call gets routed to the right person. You actually get to talk to a live person when you call their company. Setting up all of the employees has been very easy, nothing difficult to figure out, the flow from one screen to the next is not complicated at all. So far - we love Gusto!

Cons

The only thing that I think they could improve on would be integrating your existing numbers into their system. In order to be able to print accurate W-2's at the end of the year, I have to enter my employee paystubs from January 1 through today (May) into their system. It makes sense, I know it has to be done. It is just a tedious job and I'd rather not do it. Although I must say, that the 3 times I ran into a snag while entering the information, I called them and the issue was fixed instantly. Their customer service ROCKS!

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

They had great reviews, they provided all of the options that we required and their pricing was fabulous!

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

The number one reason we switched was because the customer service with Intuit Quickbooks is horrible. You cannot talk to a human, you have to jump through so many menus on the phone, it's actually hard to find a phone number sometimes, and the representatives cannot always solve the issue. We wanted a payroll company that was not complicated - and we found it in Gusto!!!

Alex from eMDTec

Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business

Overall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.

Pros

We chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.

Cons

The hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.

Cost and ease of use.

Knox from Serendipity Education

Literally a worry-free payroll solution

Gusto saves our company lots of time! I spend literally an hour on HR/payroll each week, because Gusto does so much of the heavy lifting. For the price, I totally believe I am getting great ROI. It also integrates well with our accounting software.

Pros

Gusto makes managing employee relations, payroll, and benefits so simple. You truly get a lot of bang for your buck. We're able to manage payroll processing; time/attendance; benefits; onboarding; and salary offers all in place. Their web-based technology has great up-time and is very easy to use. I also like the fact that Gusto does all of your federal and state payroll document filings and return (quarterly and annual). Every form needed to remain in compliance with the feds and state are filed by Gusto on your behalf. That takes the headache away and allows my company to focus on matters that are more critical at this time.

Cons

There is not much I can say here other than their support isn't necessarily a phone call away. That said, they answer emails and tickets super quick. I haven't been much in a pinch to need an immediate response to issues, and their self-service support center is rather extensive.

Pricing; bang for buck.

Sandy from Moxie Bookkeeping

User Friendly

Very good. We always recommend Gusto as one of the top payroll companies to use for our clients that are starting payroll for the first time.

Pros

I use Gusto for my clients as well as for our own company. I find it very user friendly, especially for my tech-phobic clients. I also like their tech support. They are easy to reach by phone, chat or email and the technicians are very patient.

Cons

The import mapping. This is the only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars. When the payroll is simple, the mapping is fine but for more complicated payrolls, the mapping is a nightmare. Also, that it imports to Xero as a bill. Clients find it really difficult to grasp how to work with this. In their mind payroll has already been "paid" so when they see it show up as an unpaid bill, they get confused or worried that their employees didn't get paid.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

We give the pro's and con's to our clients and let them make their choice. Our company chose Gusto because we use Xero and they are partnered.

Lance from Pixels Down

Gusto has won me over for life.

Time sheets, paycheck stubs, tax documents for my employees are all available to them without any extra work needed by me. Gusto takes care of it al.

Pros

I love how easy it is for my employees to see their paycheck stubs, get their tax documents, and even do a early cash out option if they need a little extra money before payday. They have recently introduced time tracking, which solved another issue I had with keeping track of everyone's hours in another product.

Cons

I don't have many cons regarding Gusto. So far it has met all my needs flawlessly. The one con I would say is that the insurance process could be a little less confusing.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto has more features regarding paycheck stubs and they are adding new features all the time. Most other products seem to be stagnant.

Andrea from Phoenixintegrativemedicine

Payroll has become a breeze!

Overall, I would recommend Gusto since it is very easy to use and navigate, and they literally handle all aspects of payroll. In the last 5 years of using their service, I have had no problems submitting their forms to my accoutant, he is pleased with the access to their services as well!

Pros

I am not an accountant, nor did I take any business or accounting classes in college. Payroll was always a chore and a daunting task. Gusto has taken over all those aspects and provided an online way to check in on employees info/w2's, tax info at a glance, and even sends reminders when employees are due to be paid, who has been paid and who has not etc, it has made payroll so fun!

Cons

The customer service is great, but the response time on answers is longer than desired. I am used to dealing with online companies that respond to businesses right away, or even just answer one part of the problem and let me know they will get back to me on the rest of the problem with more in depth solutions.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Ease of use, reliability, and I trust them after using them for years and have not had problems or errors in payroll.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

The original payroll company I was using was not an online software application, rather a brick and mortar site with much higher fees.

Dulce from R&R Law Group

Great for payroll! Get paid the NEXT DAY!

Overall very positive! I love it. So far I’ve used Quickbooks payroll and Workforce. I love this a lot better for sure.

Pros

This software allows the employee to be able to make adjustments to their tax withholding at any time, request for time off, check their sick/PTO time, etc. I love that it offers this self service portal! I also love that you can see the profiles of your coworkers. It shows you their company role, birthday and when they first started working with the company. Definitely comes in handy when you want to celebrate work anniversaries or surprise a coworker for their birthday. This software also emails you when you’re being paid and shows you the preview of how big your check is. You can always turn this off if you do not wish to receive notifications, but I sure love it! The best thing is that you can process payroll one day and employees are paid the next!

Cons

The only con is there isn’t a mobile app. It would be nice is mobile users could check their past paystubs and other information using a mobile app instead of the mobile web.

Coby from Pet Butler of Maryland

Industry: Facilities Services

Great payroll service for the little guy

Gusto is doing a better job than my previous payroll company for less money. They seem to really care about their customers and their experience.

Pros

The payroll features make doing payroll very easy. The employees can log their times and I can easily verify them and sync it with payroll. I feel like this company really cares about their customers much more than my previous "large payroll provider"

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I had used QB in the past and it was ok, but Gusto seems to have more features for a better price and they seem to care more about my business than Intuit does. Intuit is very difficult to work with.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Run was not user friendly and much too expensive. I felt like an unimportant customer to a large company.

MICHAEL from JONES COMMUNICATIONS

The best online payroll provider I have ever used

Pros

Gusto is extremely simple and quick to configure, and speedy to run payrolls—even custom payrolls or additional payrolls—during the month. It has been an incredibly user-friendly and intuitive solution for someone not familiar with accounting or payroll processes.

Cons

I have had nothing but success with Gusto. No issues, no payroll processing problems, nothing. They pull funds Monday for Friday pay, which might be a long gap, but also offer a shorter payroll process, where you can pull funds Wednesday for Friday pay . . . I just haven't configured that shorter process yet.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Price and Gusto's stronger reputation for customer service

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Needed something less expensive and more intuitive to configure

Pamela from Allen, Jane, & Co.

We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning

I would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.

Pros

Easy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.

Cons

Really, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"—the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense. Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company. Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero. I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...

Michelle from BFS

Gusto is a Great Payroll Option

My overall experience with Gusto has been very positive and they are a company who wants to support their customers. I have faith that they will sort out the customer service issues and that they are just a result of growing pains.

Pros

We have been with Gusto for a long time now and find it to be easy and intuitive to use. Employees are able to log in and access their information. Gusto is constantly adding new features and now allows for time tracking by project which is a feature offered by several of their competitors. It is possible to assign managers to approve employee hours without making them a full admin with access to salary info.

Cons

It is not possible to assign managers to contractors to approve hours which would be helpful. Also, they are experiencing severe growing pains. In the beginning, Gusto support was excellent, however, the response time has gone way up in recent months. They are currently taking 2-3 weeks to respond to many support questions. This is very frustrating and I have clients who have incurred state tax penalties while waiting on Gusto to reply. Their reps are not as knowledgeable as they were earlier either, probably due to having to increase their team so quickly.

Trevor from Inturact

Best platform for payroll, benefits & more

Overall it has been great to have everything in one place. Before we used Zenefits and Gusto and moved everything to Gusto. Its been a good move.

Pros

It simple to use and does everything we need to run the primary administrative tasks for our business.

Cons

The HSA feature did not move over seamlessly from Zenefits and is more expensive for a small team to have and the 401k option has been a bit of work to get moved over.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We had benefits in Zenefits and payroll in Gusto when both companies concentrated on these areas. Once they both begin offering both we weighed our options to combine everything into a single platform. It seemed like Gusto was headed in the right direction more than Zenefits.

Heather from AAH

Catches All

Having payroll done properly and also having insurance information right there is great. Service industry as a whole has no ins but I can give options that employees can get if they are interested on their own.

Pros

There is one thing that separates this from other payroll/HR...it catches everything. I don't have to offer ins but there is a lot of information availiable thru Gusto if I need it. However, child support orders also require insurance is availiable for the child. Servers job bounce and don't always mention court orders on the tax paper work. Gusto knows, Im not sure if it is specifically looked for because of an innovate idea that the child support order is for the child..per the law. Or the software properly scans the social and does the right thing. Gusto then provides the insurance options as well as reports job agency. As a divorced mom..I love this and everyone in in compliance.

Cons

Because of all the properly following the rules in court ordered garnishment for employees, I had a high turn over. Well more paperwork for me is the least? Ill take it. I now mention this little payroll feature at interview and thin it from there.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Well, when I am paying for a service and have a question about how my money is being paid out I would like a call back.

Jack from Swartout Dental

Great service!

The overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.

Pros

This was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.

Cons

There really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

The bare bones Gusto program gave great value for low cost. It is a plug and play system that requires little effort to run the payroll every other week.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

We switched due to the cost and issues we were having with customer service of the previous service.

Easy to use payroll software

Gusto is fantastic - it's incredibly easy to use software to manage your payroll, get your employees paid and keep you legally compliant. For small businesses, you have to make sure that you pay your employees properly, that you withhold the right amount of taxes, that they earn overtime if their roles are entitled to it, that you file the right monthly and quarterly taxes with your state and the federal government. It's a lot to know. And Gusto manages all of that for you.

Pros

Gusto is so easy to use, it takes care of everything for you when it comes to payroll. Just connect a bank account, enter your business information, and you can start onboarding and paying employees. There are so many pieces to payroll - legal requirements, taxes, withholding, etc. - yet Gusto handles it all so incredibly simply and easily.

Cons

One complaint I had about Gusto was that when I was first using it, it did not have a good integration for 401ks, and the one they built with Guideline was not great, in my opinion.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Gusto was so easy to use.

Jesse from BooksTime, Inc.

Best option out there

Very positive.

Pros

We (BooksTime) are an accounting firm and work with many payroll solutions for many different businesses. Gusto is the most user-friendly of them all, by far. Plus, it has a modern, slick interface. And Gusto has a far better track record for consistent quality, compared to their biggest competitors.

Cons

More features would be nice. For example: ability to pay contractors in Puerto Rico, more employee dossier and evaluation features, etc. Also would be nice if each client had a dedicated support person, instead of a different contact for each new question/problem.

David from Solanimus Inc.

Industry: Computer Games

Former user, but returning soon because it just plain works

Using Gusto was smooth in terms of user interface and communication with customer support, beyond the issue I had with two payrolls primarily because I misunderstood a setting. I left Gusto for a competitor simply because of a unique deal, but have since decided to return to Gusto later this year.

Pros

Gusto just works, and the user interface is more intuitive than ADP's tools I had used before. The company also seems to be more aggressive than some competitors in integrating new services around the payroll management related to HR.

Cons

This feature has since been changed, and their user interface has changed since as well, so it should no longer be an issue: We had two separate payrolls that didn't pay out on time, and although they helped remedy the situation because of a setting issue, I was a bit disappointed that it was unclear to me what that setting described. At times, normally when competitors do sales, Gusto's pricing isn't as attractive for what is offered.

ADP was priced out.

Simply the best

I've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.

Pros

Ease of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.

Cons

It's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Square's Payroll interface is simple, but almost too simple, pulling reports was kind of a pain and difficult to integrate our accountant into.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

QBO payroll was not only expensive but hard to use.

Brad from Crisp

Industry: Restaurants

I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about

1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right. 2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business. 3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do.

Pros

It's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm! I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.

Cons

I can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.

Karla from Altitude Financial Services LLC

Gusto is an ideal payroll service for smaller companies

This software save us processing time and the headaches of filing payroll tax returns and paying taxes. They prefer working with companies with up to 50 employees I think - really big payrolls will not be a good fit for Gusto.

Pros

Gusto technical support is excellent and the product is easy to use. As a cloud based payroll program it is easy to run payroll from anywhere at any time. I have had clients in different service based and non profit businesses on it for several years. The cost is reasonable and in fact the core program can save a great deal as compared with the big nationally recognized names. This company is also national and offers many employee benefits that the leaders offer. You can set payroll to run automatically if it is the same every time, and it syncs with Quickbooks Online online.

Cons

I sometimes have a little trouble customizing reports quickly and have not seen a way to save them for future use. But they do have a good selection of reports available. That includes being really proactive about PPP loan reports.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

integration with QBO, price, easy of use, support

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

I switched to save my clients money on payroll processing- Gusto has a discount that accountants can pass on to the client. The fee is a flat monthly fee plus a small charge per employee - not per payroll. The fee covers a lot of service.

July 2016

Miriam from Mueller Bookkeeping

July 2016

Want to hug Gusto

Pros

I am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.

Cons

Some things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.

Makes Payroll and Admin Easy

Great they do really good integrations with zappier and all the major services that work well with it.

Pros

This makes payroll and administration of the backend of the business easy. Helps us stay up on the latest changes in employment issues and filing for our business and contractors.

Cons

It runs too easily in the background. If you don't stay ontop of logging back in time to time you might miss updates and changes. They do a good job of keeping you in the loop of what's going on.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Quickbooks and Intuit are terrible.

MARIA from Brentwood Apartments

Industry: Broadcast Media

SOFTWARE

It has been a life saver. I hate doing payroll and they do all the work for us.

Pros

The ease in which we can enter and keep track of payroll issues.

Cons

Insurance issues need to be explored so that we have more to offer our employees.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Because it was easier to work in and the price was better.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Wells Fargo Payroll Service was very difficult to navigate in and at the end of the year the numbers didn't match with our payroll numbers. That is absolutely a "must be right" for us.

Mark from A Willing Participant, Inc.

Perfect if you're just starting out

Completely satisfied with Gusto from day one. Easy to set up, easy to run payroll every week, and they are connected to Guideline, so this year we are finally able to launch our own 401(k). For the price we pay, we are getting our money's worth, I think, for all the features and ease of use Gusto brings.

Pros

This was by far the easiest payroll system we could find when we started. Before this, we were doing everything manually and consuming a lot of time on paperwork for W2, reporting and all the other stuff we hate doing. My tax accountant turned me on to Gusto a few years ago and I set up my account and added employees within the hour. The steps are easy to understand, and there are tips and help offered along the way. For fees, Gusto is hard to beat. One of their competitors has some nice offerings, but we found that they were mostly for larger companies with more employees than we have. Gusto seemed a perfect fit for our size and our budget.

Cons

For us, it has been a positive experience since day one. It helps that we have a tax accountant who can help us navigate some of the trickier things. But even when she's not available, Gusto makes it pretty easy to figure out. Our tax accountant has some issues with Gusto's handling of some reports, but that's not anything I have had to deal with.

Price and ease of use.

Wil from Viridian Agency

Modern Day Payroll

Pros

Gusto is just on another level when it comes to payroll and personal information. To be able to access your pay, benefits, time off and view your 401K all from your account would be unheard of a couple of years back. I am able to easily go in and access all my info whenever I want without the hassle of approval or mailing anything which made moving for me stress-free. They're even creative with their fun facts of what you've been paid all year could have gotten you.

Cons

No negatives I can think of with Gusto other than the fact that I wish they existed in my life sooner. Then again I did come from a job where I need my paystubs mailed to me which was caveman technology to me.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Paycor not only had terrible customer service, but their platform was unusable, to say the least.

Kalen from CLIMB Theatre

Industry: Performing Arts

All that glitters is not Gusto (but it's still worth more than its weight in gold)

I like software that works, and it's hard to know what's going to work the best these days. With a plethora of payroll services out there, it's noteworthy that Gusto has made a place for itself, and it's seemingly done so by keeping itself easy to use with an elegant interface - in other words, it works where it counts. The drawbacks I've experienced are then not so much the fault of Gusto but of the saturation of the market: the more employers that use a single platform, the more useful it becomes. That is, I appreciate being able to easily check up on my prior employment details at the click of a button, but only 2 companies I've worked with have used Gusto.

Pros

Gusto is frankly easy to use, provided your needs are fairly straightforward and simple. For a competitive monthly subscription price, employers can automate up to 4 separate payrolls and isolate between employees and independent contractors. As an employee, it's convenient to have your employment history all in one place for later reference.

Cons

While some payroll software offers more features integrating shift tracking, time sheets, and scheduling (WhenIWork being one of the more ambitious in this quality, even featuring a chat as an interface to switch shifts), Gusto is fairly plain - or we could say minimalist if we're being nice. It's either catering to the simplest needs, or to companies with very specific kinds of complexities, such as the advertised onboarding/termination automation and organizing of benefits. For many small businesses, however woefully to the employees, this is irrelevant.

SHEILA from Prime Building

Gusto? They didn't need my business any longer.

Had a good experience until we had to suspend payroll due to a lull in business (you keep getting billed whether you run payroll or not). The stipulation is you have to reactivate within the quarter if you want to continue using Gusto. Well, the end of the quarter fell on a Sunday and trying to reactivate first thing Monday morning did not work. You cannot reactivate your account for another year. Makes absolutely no sense that a few hours made that much of a difference. The were willing to lose a customer and let me walk away instead of reactivating the account.

Pros

Easy to use and navigate. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Reports are clear and concise.

Cons

Wait time for customer service is lengthy and usually requires a call back which they prompt for automatically or disconnect if the wait time is over 10 minutes. Monthly invoices are hard to find if you don't use the link provided in your email notification.

Pricing.

Althea from Trambiserra

Industry: Building Materials

Details that make difference...

What a shame for the defects. After all I appreciate the design and the quick management. But, when you need a good program for manage by your own Many and many people, you deserve a great attenction by the software you bought

Pros

I can explain my own experience with that software. It s a real up-to-date system , the best description I can use to explain Gusto is like an “Accounting social network”. Indeed, you can track everything of the life circle of the employer since his first step in the Company, and follow him situation about payroll, day off, accrued holidays, debts, down payment, time of entrance, exit or desease. Every page has its history for each person you want discuss about. Really helpful to paint an employer picture, even for a future recommendation letter for example, or for an employers cut, how to choose the most problematic person.

Cons

But..to be honest, let s start to talk about what makes Gusto the software I won t never choose again. First step: you can t test the software. No free trial. Let s buy it with blind eyes and it requests time to be improved, as well no good infoes shown . Second : bad bad bad and please help me to say bad assistance, terrible or inexistent. Plus, with that price, u can get some better software. Just has to check for it.

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

I find it in the company , someone choosed at my place

Cory from Camp Liberty

Industry: Recreational Facilities and Services

A Must Have!

Our small non-profit has loved being customers of Gusto!

Pros

We don't have to think about it! It lets us know when there are actions to take. We can set up our payments to our employees and even schedule sick days, vacation days, bonuses, raises, insurance, investment plans and so much more! It is awesome!

Cons

There is nothing that I have found that I can complain about. They have fantastic customer service and are able to help you quickly and effectively.

Shelley from Rejoice Hearing Systems

Gusto Ease of Access and User Friendly!!!

I have used many payroll processing systems in the past and by far Gusto is the easiest and most adaptable. I would highly recommend it.

Pros

It is user-friendly and easy to access and manage. Gusto does not make it rocket science to use their payroll portable. From onboarding a new hire, processing payroll to the dismissal of an employee they basically give you packets and maps to everything you need at your fingertips.

Cons

There are a lot of messages on the Dashboard every day to read. Sometimes it can be a little overwhelming. They are not all for you to complete but you have to pay attention because in between some of the messages there are the critical tasks that you must finish by a specific time frame. Just wish they could weed these out a little better.

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

Cost and Adaptability. Much easier to use.

Noah from Colvin + Hallett

Industry: Law Practice

Noah's Review of Gusto

Overall Gusto is great. The process is streamlined, intuitive, and W-2s are generated quickly! At the end of the day, Gusto can save you a lot of money in regards to bookkeeping costs by hour. Unfortunately (or fortunately), I have not had to deal with customer service, so I cannot speak on that matter.

Pros

Best thing about Gusto: Employment taxes (941s). The fact that Gusto takes care of this is great, and can help companies avoid making accounting errors which can lead to steep penalties with the IRS. Another great thing about Gusto is their paystubs, very detailed and easy to read for employees. Lastly, on the user side, it is a very intuitive program to use.

Cons

Entering employee withholdings (parking, bus pass, etc.) can be a bit confusing. We have run into issues with over withholding using Gusto, but this can be avoided if you employ a bookkeeper with a fair amount of experience using the product, a bookkeeper new to the product may need to receive some training in regards to specific payroll withholdings (not including 941s, SSA, medicare).

Reasons for Switching to Gusto

When we switched bookkeepers. Our new bookkeeper insisted upon using Gusto.

Easiest Payroll Platform for Small Business on the Market!

Pros

Simplicity of use, integration with QuickBooks, significant time savings for a small business owner. Great reports and an excellent platform to keep everything in a single organized place, including new employee self-onboarding.

Cons

The company was flying and building its plane at the same time - we have grown with it, but not without a few bumps along the way, but overall this platform is a life saver for small business, its added features and functionality continually improve. I absolutely love it!

Reasons for Choosing Gusto

Simplicity of use, integration with QuickBooks and banking systems creating significant time savings for a small business owner. Great reports and an excellent platform to keep everything needed in a single organized place, including new employee self-onboarding. I absolutely love Gusto!

PayServ

Neha from Deloitte India (Offices of the US)

Awesome payroll support for small businesses.

Pros

Gusto is a perfect and easy to use payroll portal both for employer & employees. It has a self on boarding system, for employers to send new hires their offer letter and paper work through its portal. Employees can easily update their address, direct deposit info, withholding all in one place. Previous month’s pay stubs can also be accessed easily. Employees can easily load W2 directly into turbo tax through its website. One can also keep track on the taxes paid. Gusto also offers detailed description and helpful tips of required information to be inputted. Its editing process is also very simple & straightforward when any changes need to be made to employee info or business features.

Cons

Gusto seems overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Also there is no invoice function, so contractors cannot submit an invoice and have their managers approve it. A separate system for contractors for invoicing needs to be maintained. Also Direct Deposit should be little faster. Customer service is also not that good.

Gusto changed my world!!

Gusto saves me so much time and worry. I know that our benefits are managed correctly and that we are always in compliance. I also know that everything on the payroll side is taken care of and if there is an issue or mistake the super amazing customer support team is ready to help!

Pros

We love using Gusto for not only our payroll but they also manage all of our benefits. Gusto managing our benefits has been such a life saver! I don't have to think about being in compliance anymore I know that they are keeping everything up to date. I get reminders when it's time to run payroll, when new employees need to sign up for benefits and when we need to renew our benefits.

Cons

Gusto has wonderful customer support the only downside for me is that when you call in you are always talking to a new person, sometimes that can make it a little challenging to efficiently get the answer or help I'm looking for, but they will help until the job is done!

Theresa from Hang Around Hound

I couldn't operate with out

It's the best. I was a small business other with employees for the first time and I was just overwhelmed. I tried several other payroll companies but it just seemed like an arduous process and I was not taken seriously. I had to get things in order so signed up for Gusto and was ready to go in just a few hours. It's the first thing I tell anyone looking to start a company with employees to get. I'm actually friends with some my accountant is crazy about it. They say i am the most organized client they have and they're blown away by all Gusto's features

Pros

I love the payroll management. I was so lost trying to understand how to handle employees payroll and taxes. I spoke to other companies but it was all behind closed doors. Also the automation. I like being able to set up my services with out talking to dozens of other people.

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about Gusto. it doesn't things I don't even realize i need it to do before some tax form comes up.

June 2015

Nicole from Noggin IT

June 2015

Head of Business Improvmenent and HR

Pros

Support. They see every issue through as if you're the most important or the only client. They're thorough and they tolerate you if you're on a learning curve (we're an Australian business setting up our US operations and health etc benefits is a new and unnatural thing for a business to grapple with). The software is flawless and usability is perfect. We run our payroll in a few clicks, and that's because we don't choose autopilot. Used to run benefits thru Zenefits who made a lot of errors, and zenpayroll stepped in without hesitation or complaint and ran every correction. It's complete, not half cooked. It's how software and support should be done.

Cons

We are a global business, and things are done differently in other countries for payroll. For instance, we don't need to go thru the pain and inefficiently of supporting benefits in other countries. Plus there is different legislation and tax setups etc. I wish zenpayroll was configured to support payroll in other countries so companies like ours growing elsewhere could benefit from One-payroll without considering the bigger and clunkier vendors. If you're growing, most likely you're growing globally or planning to. Otherwise it's perfect.

Liz from Access Confidential

Finally! A quick and easy resource for paychecks.

Pros

It is so hard to find a simple platform with a clean interface when it comes Payroll but Gusto has achieved that. I have used several different programs and Gusto is by far my favorite because of the ease of use. I also love the email they send on payday that says "Hooray! You got paid today." Gusto seems to know what the typical employee wants when they log into their payroll application - as soon as you sign in there is a big blue button that says "See your last paystub", super helpful and saves time! You can also easily access your PTO time, year to date statistics on your wages, taxes, net salary, hours worked, and other helpful statistics. On just a small fun note, their graphics on their website are adorable.

Cons

Honestly I do not have anything that I dislike about this software. It is incredibly simple and reliable.

Love Gusto!

I’ve been using Agustí for almost 3 years and I can’t never go back to using other products. Not only do they make it easy to use the platform, the dashboard and overall experience with their tool is pleasant and truly great!

Pros

I love how I can access all tax forms at tax time, taxes are calculated for me based on my state and federal rates, and I never have to worry about paying too much or too little, as Gusto makes these calculations for me.

Cons

I don’t have any negative points to bring up. So far it’s been a great experience and I find their interface pleasant and engaging, which is a plus when you consider it is just a payroll management tool.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 2,833 reviews