What are NEOGOV users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using NEOGOV software through verified user reviews

• icon"I have worked with many companies with implementation, and I was impressed by the assistance and setup NeoGOV had for working with their API."
  • icon"The BI Tool has also allowed a great visibility into one of our major cost center and has been instrumental in gain of efficiency over time."
  • icon"Highline's exceptional support staff and willingness to work through issues is amazing."
  • icon"Implementation time is unrealistic, no integration with current HRIS, there are many limitations that need work arounds. After a search, if you hit back button, you have to type in the search again."
  • icon"When entering a hire, with the last OHC update, a tab for approvers now exists. This is confusing for managers as they enter some random name."
  • icon"Reporting is very limited and it is difficult to get what we actually need without time spent trying to manipulate the data."

Browse all NEOGOV Reviews

• Have you used NEOGOV and would like to share your experience with others?

Keion L.

Reliable Applicant Tracking Software

My overall experience with Neogov has been really good. I love using the software and it has been a good way for us to recruit candidates for all of our job bulletins.

Pros

What I like most about Neogov is that the system is very easy to learn and use. The layout and design of the software is easy to navigate. I like that Neogov has a online community to support the software and you can pick up the phone and call them if you need real time technical assistance. I have used the system for about 4 years and it has been one of the most reliable that I have ever worked with. I also like that the software is web based.

Cons

There are some areas in Neogov that do not have the audit trail feature. This is a feature that tracks which user has made changes or completed tasks in the system. Another thing I do not like about Neogov is that some features have to be customized and developed before they can be implemented

Reasons for choosing NEOGOV

This was a software that could handle all of the different phases of our city's recruitment and hiring aspects.

Stacey

Voice of the Customer Drives Continuous Improvement

I have been very impressed with the software, customer support, and the demonstrated commitment NEOGOV has to it's products and clients. Innovation never stops!

Pros

I like that Neogov listens to their users' feedback. They don't just receive comments and recommendations, they use the feedback to constantly improve their customers' experience. Reliable data management and workflows.

Cons

The enhancements sometimes take a while to implement, but it's to be expected. I'm disappointed in the delay of administrator training for modules like HRIS.

Reasons for choosing NEOGOV

Bay County has utilized NEOGOV software for over 16 years. In the last 5 years, there has been a ramp up of innovative releases that have significantly increased NEOGOV's product offering and value. The most valuable niche NEOGOV presents is that it's target customer is Government!

One-stop-shop

Tammy

I am the payroll manager but had previously worked in the payroll office for 7 years.

Pros

I like that we can customize the software to accommodate 5+ different employee groups which have different payroll rules/collective agreements. It allows the user to make their own changes and test to ensure results are what is expected. This software allows the user to make changes to remain compliant with legislation changes, collective agreement changes, etc.

Cons

It becomes very difficult for new users to learn the "layers" of the product and understand how integrated everything is. IMUCs, Leave Plans and "programming" type work is difficult for succession planning.

Lisa

It's Great!

Overall all, it is a great tool, especially for applicant tracking, allowing us to reassign recruitment activity, see where processes are in real time and eliminating the need for paper and Excel.

Pros

We primarily use Insight/OHC and Onboard I love the scoring and am looking forward to the enhancements.

Cons

The software tracks many steps throughout the recruitment process and allows reporting, however, it does not track the SME step as a reportable feature, which is needed for time to hire tracking. Also, the system does not allow the removal of OHC user access to specific recruitments the way it does in Insight. The Conviction Questionnaire, while easy to use, does require multiple steps.

Reasons for choosing NEOGOV

The Neogov system was more robust and provided the resources we needed.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

The system we had no longer met our needs.

Great suite for HR professionals

Pros

Insight: This is the product I use the most and it has greatly helped me in my job as a Recruiting Manager. I can take a candidate from the beginning all the way to date of hire in one platform. The functionality is very easy. The process also has features to promote diversity and reduce bias which is VERY important to me and the role I serve in the organization.

Cons

Customization of the PAF is tricky and I wish there were more work arounds to get this form to look that the one we use in our organization. Specifically, we cannot have gender and ethnicity on our PAFs. Very interesting since you organization is promoting inclusivity.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

A lot of cities starting talking about neogov and we tried product and made the switch.

Diana

Industry: Maritime

NEOGOV - PCCA Experience

Online applications submitted and processed streamline the process for all HR Team. Online enrollment for all new hire paperwork. Online experience for all learners.

Pros

It is a very user-friendly system, it is very intuitive. Customer support is always available for internal and external users and administrators.

Cons

The generality that it has for some features and ensuring they follow up in suggestions of what can be done better as to functionality and features specific to the organization and the industry.

Reasons for choosing NEOGOV

Due to the connection between the different modules to recruit, manage, and develop.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

It did not had all the capabilities and features that NEOGOV currently offers.

Rose

No HR specialist or IT specialist on staff and we were able to implement

Good customer support and implementation support.

Pros

Generally easy to understand and use. The web-based platform was perfect for us during remote work and continues to be an asset to us.

Cons

Some features are not intuitive and there are some features (especially notifications) that aren't available and would be very helpful.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

We were separating from a larger unit and did our own procurement process. NeoGov won the process.

NEOGOV Review

I feel like NEOGOV has helped our business in being more organized in keeping track of applicants and having all the onboarding paperwork electronically.

Pros

I enjoy the NEOGOV software because it's a very organized system when comes to Applicant Tracking and Onboarding.

Cons

What I like the least about the software is I wish we will get notification when an Applicant applies to a specific job posting.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

We wanted an option where candidates and employees can complete their onboarding paperwork electronically.

Karissa

Easy and fluid to use

Overall very positive compared to other ATS systems I've seen and used.

Pros

We use most of the NEOGOV features and they all work pretty seamlessly. The dashboards are easy to read and navigate to more refined details.

Cons

Some things feel a little buried where it feels like I'm digging through several screens to get where I'm going.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

I changed employers so I didn't personally switch it but I like NEOGOV better thus far.

Roxanne

Powerful Tool and worth the investments

Overall, this is great software with a wide variety of options and customization. If you are in education, there are still items that could use some help as it was created for government (local/state levels) but they are minor. Customer Service it almost always quick and exceptional. If you're looking for an expandable system with a wide variety of modules/options, this is an excellent choice!

Pros

While we mirrored our existing processes during initial set up (not always the best practice!) it allowed us to get this up and running within a month during the winter holidays in 2014. We have subsequently revised/expanded our usage from the Insight (IN) module to the Online Hiring Center (OHC) and Onboarding (ON) modules and continue adding upgrades and enhancements when we can. As we are always looking toward Continuous Process Improvement, when the pandemic hit we were well-situated to be able to move more processes from paper/e-mail into NEOGOV. Whether you're ready to go all in, or a little at a time, this software can do it.

Cons

The modules are still a little disjointed, but they are working on unifying that. The ability to make some items more appealing/interesting can be enhanced with graphics, videos, html code, etc - but not for all things, which can be frustrating. There are issues with not being able to have multiple windows open or you will get randomly auto-logged out (EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING), particularly as it is almost impossible to use only one window while working on various recruitments, applications, fielding questions from users, etc.

Neogov Review

Neogov has a very high learning curve. Once I became proficient - after about 6 to 9 months later - I found the application fairly easy to navigate. However, I learn additional functions regularly as I use it. I am an expert user now, but I have been using it for 5 1/2 years. Our section has 2 other recruiters who have been there for 2 years now. They continue to ask me user questions which I then walk them through. The application is not intuitive. A user needs to know exactly where to go to perform the function they need to perform. The tutorials need to be more detailed and clear as they leave users with questions after they have completed the tutorials.

Pros

Neogov is great once you learn how it works. I like that I can customize job announcements, add point values to questions, and add photos to job announcements. I like the auto-grader if the scoring plan is set up correctly. I like the dashboard tasks section and that I am notified when a new requisition has been approved. I like the candidate tracking in OHC since the new update. The visual of the candidate steps on the wheel is helpful.

Cons

The bold, italic and underline capabilities in the supplemental questions has been removed. Also, I can't change the color of the font in either the job posting or the supplemental questions. Report titles don't really reflect what information the report pulls. I have to open all related reports to find the one I need to use to obtain the information I need. Options under applicants are in a different order and named differently under applicants for various lists in Insight and OHC. When entering a hire, with the last OHC update, a tab for approvers now exists. This is confusing for managers as they enter some random name. If the approval section was eliminated, it would be much better for managers and recruiters as recruiters would receive a notification once the hire has been entered and submitted. User access on the OHC side is confusing for managers. The owner of the requisition is the only one who can upload final recruitment documents. Access for hiring managers as well as the owner would allow anyone who is either to perform necessary functions without have to have HR change the owner. I have created job announcements with templates that have an incorrect scoring plan, so then the auto-grader doesn't work - it fails all applicants. Then its very time consuming to figure out where the issue is in the scoring plan.

Marjorie

Well designed with many features

The High Line product is well designed and offers many features. It is highly customizable so I think ease of use and customer experience can vary widely depending on how you customize. Once the system is set up it is very easy for the employees to use. The product has many different modules that are used together to create a complete employee picture. These can be added over time. Most records are date effective so you are provided with a very good historical picture as well. High Line has many consultants that can be hired to help with ongoing customization. As a government agency that hosts onsite and does its best to maintain the system in-house, we found that the IT people maintaining the system needed a higher skill set than what we originally planned for. Payroll and HR need someone who is somewhat tech-savvy to understand how the pieces fit together and advise how to best move forward with changes and additions. Value for money depends on how you choose to customize. If a complicated and/or lengthy implementation, it can get pricey but for a more straightforward implementation, it is very cost effective.

Pros

The database design and how the screens/forms work together; how you can drill down in the screens to get to more info.

Cons

It is large and a bit of a beast at times. The admin app is Java based which often causes desktop issues. When something goes wrong it requires some skill to figure out what's going on. Often High Line help is needed. Because it is highly customizable, it is impossible for High Line to test their patches and upgrades for all possible ways the system is used so it is left on the using organization to fully test all updates.

Response from High Line

Hi Marjorie - Thanks for the review! We are pleased Personality HCM is providing value to your county and would like to address some of your comments. As you are aware, the Personality HCM is now available as a SaaS/hosted solution, delivered entirely over the internet. The Java client is now typically only used by system administrators. This may help with some of the issues your encountering. Also, appreciate your comments about customization, however, note that we have not customized the solution for your county, rather standard configuration tools have been used to make Personality operate uniquely for you. Upgrades are designed to work with client configurations, however, as with any software, configured forms/fields/calculation still need to be tested to ensure they are functioning as expected. We are always available to help, so please do not hesitate to contact support with anything that comes up.

Replied March 2017

Rachel

Great value for money

We struggled with NEOGOV at first, back in 2014 when we first began using Insight/OHC (the only product we have used and are still using 8 years later). But they have been so good working with us and I am really impressed by their continuous innovation and improvements, as well as their staff and leadership. I can tell NEOGOV is an excellent company and am glad we continue to use their product.

Pros

NEOGOV is always improving their products. They are super responsive to ideas and questions and very innovative and timely in the features they develop and implement (e.g. PII blinding).

Cons

It takes so many clicks to get something done in Insight, and it is really not intuitive at all to get things done for a recruiter. Reports are also difficult for a lay-user because building a report is very IT-esque and not easy to figure out what is needed for even a simple report. Data fields in the export we receive is also confusing as things are not always named the same in the data as it is in the system.

Reasons for choosing NEOGOV

I don't know what products were considered when we first chose NEOGOV back in 2013. But we did a RFP a couple years ago and were able to compare NEOGOV to a lot of other companies, including Google, and realized just how high the value for money was in the product we already had.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

It was too simple and outdated. We wanted more features and not to have to code them ourselves.

Colleen

We've been using Personality for 14 years and went from separate systems into one integrated system.

We went from two different systems into one HR/Payroll system. We gained efficiencies by only have to enter data once into one shared system. We eliminated a lot of human error that occurs when entering the same data twice. We were able to enforce our labor contracts by having only those involved in negotiations implement the updates to the system. We are now able to get real time data out of our payroll system to evaluate expected turnover rates, contract costs and stay current on meeting compliance issues.

Pros

Personality is highly configurable which is important when you have 26 different units that have completely different personnel policies, benefits, salaries and leave schedules that have to be evaluated for each employee, every two weeks during payroll. This configuration can be done by your own employees who are subject matter experts, who understand the macro or micro of your companies business needs. The ease of configuration allows the business owner to make the changes to the software based on their needs and not when the other software company gets you into their queue.

Cons

The color scheme for the test instance and production instance are the same and can lead to issues if you are not careful when working in one and thinking you are in the other. However I understand in the latest version currently being tested this is has become an updateable feature as well.

Cori

NEOGOV hires!!

For the most part, as a daily NEOGOV user it gets the HR job done. I am able to complete evaluations, onboard, e-forms, and complete tasks all in the same program. It streamlines a variety of recruiting and talent management processes. It saves time because their is no longer paper and it reduces administrative requirements by managing information electronically to the correct departments to be processed. It also helps when onboarding new employees as we can see exactly what forms are being completed before the hire date. NEOGOV is great for managers, hiring managers, HR departments, IT and admin offices!! It gets the job done!

Pros

NEOGOV is user-friendly platform but I really appreciate the onboarding. It gets the new employees to get all their paperwork done before their initial start date. I appreciate the forms going into the correct portals and being completed all in one central location. Customer service is great too!! They are very engaged in troubleshooting. There is also a separate Support for Applicants so we don't need to spend a lot of time troubleshooting. It makes it easy when new employees are having issues during the onboarding process.

Cons

Its not always user friendly. Sometimes it hard to explain to others when trying to troubleshoot.

Deborah

Industry: Public Policy

NEOGOV INSIGHT - Bringing Government Recruitment and Selection to Modern Day

We have implemented all of NEOGOV's modules and found them to be very engaged in collecting customer feedback/experience and continuing to improve their products.

Pros

-Help us over technology hurdles to incorporate google analytics, RSS feeds and responsive technology to our applicant sourcing for public sector. -Integrated with our HRIS system for position control, job classes and salaries. -Great value for the price. -Actively listens to customer feedback for increased value and improved customer experience. -Easily customizable and implementable within a few days without expensive consultants. -Built based on U.S. public sector best practice. So it uses the workflow and terms that our end users understand. -Great online help and resources for customers implementing. -Modern user interface that is easy to understand, reducing our support costs. -Capability to build customized reports with subscriptions that can be sent on a regular basis.

Cons

- Based on a U.S. pubic sector it is specific to government and schools not other businesses. - Reporting tool could have more capability to aggregate data and create calculated values.

Lisa

Great Product with LOTS of options

I really enjoy NeoGov and the versatility to provides. Customer Service is always super helpful and friendly, quick to respond to emails if you choose that route rather than calling. The more I learn that I can do, the more I enjoy this program. The fact that they are always working to improve it is amazing, especially as those improvements are ACTUALLY improvements, unlike many software companies that make things so much harder every time they update something.

Pros

There is so much versatility to NeoGov. You can use one or two modules, or use all of them. You don't have to pay for the entire suite in order to utilize the software effectively. It is straight forward but there is a lot of options and customization that can be done behind the scenes.

Cons

Marking Veteran's Preference to an application is a slow, annoying process when you have dozens of applicants. You have to go into each applicant's master profile, select the job, mark the preference and save it. It doesn't apply to all the jobs they've applied for either so you have to go into each job individually to do this. For every candidate.

Reasons for choosing NEOGOV

The wide array of options and sheer versatility of the software.

Dean

Wonderful product and support - Unfortunately we no longer use it.

We never missed a payroll. Unfortunately we moved to a new Payroll/HR system due to costs associated to the Oracle environment which did not align with our Corporate SQL Server standard.

Pros

The database was the most solid relational database I've ever used. It was developed with a very strong focus on standards and consistency across all products in High Lines suite. We never missed a payroll in the 17 years we used the product. The suite of products all integrated nicely. Being a smaller company with their own development staff, High Line could quickly modify the product to meet industries changing needs. Although the software frontend did change over time, the basic functionality never changed. It only got better with more functionality through each major revision. Oracle database was very solid with years of database knowledge behind the product and with nice system administration tools.

Cons

Lack of a SQL Server database version creates a heavy dependency on Oracle creates a high cost environment. New functionality was often added with very specific (or specific customer) focus specifications and requirements. This often resulted in a new functionality which was not very useful to the customer base as a whole. Often the functionality had to be reworked or "upgraded" to meet similar needs for the larger customer base. In some ways this could be considered a positive since they were constantly looking for ways to add functionality to the product.

Damian

I love it!!!

Use of NeoGov has greatly enhanced our operations in that everything we need to do is within one system. Prior to use of NeoGov, we were using one system for job posting and application review and a different one for score integration and promulgation. Needless to say, NeoGov was definitely an upgrade!

Pros

As an analyst working in a very fast-paced exams unit, I manage many different recruitments at one time and NeoGov allows me to easily develop my job postings, track my applicants, schedule testing and certify them. With the number of different notifications we send to our applicants/candidates, having a library of pre-populated templates makes it much easier when it's time to send notifications.

Cons

There is functionality in NeoGov within the Exam Plans that I have never used before and rather than having to fish out my NeoGov manual, it would be helpful if there was a hyperlink that would take us to the place in the manual that explains and provides guidance on the use of that functionality.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

The executives wanted a more streamlined way of conducting our business.

Andrea

Great for Merit System Organizations

It meets our needs as an applicant tracking system. There are other pieces that would make our lives easier but for the most part, it provides the non-negotiable elements we need to be effective in our organization.

Pros

I really like the ability of the system to help facilitate our merit testing process. It gives the ability to attach weights to the various components of the testing process and removes the need to manually manage these calculations. It provides a good audit trail to help provide transparency and also allows us to manage the candidates through the entire recruitment life cycle. The ability to self schedule testing/interviews is great too.

Cons

I feel their customer service is lacking a bit. When they check in, it doesn't feel as though they actually listen to your concerns. I have had meetings in the past to discuss our experience and takeaways were never followed through with (e.g., NeoGov was to send us a document or pass along concerns). I understand enhancements are not always possible but would appreciate more transparent communication.

Frédéric-Martin

Good supportive team backing a great product that fits one of our hardest payroll environment.

Pros

Highly customizable from the front to the back end of the software implies a high flexibility from both the company supporting it and the product. The interface can be modified by each user to fit their need and allows for a wide variety of permissions based profile. As we deal with a highly unionized environment the capacity of the software to adapt to the evolution of the Collective bargaining agreement was a must and so far never been a show stopper whether by adapting our methods or the tool. The BI Tool has also allowed a great visibility into one of our major cost center and has been instrumental in gain of efficiency over time. Any request for support is handled in the most courteous manner and in a timely fashion. Information is also readily available through their wiki website enabling power users and IT to get quick access to information regarding the database and core component of the software.

Cons

The higher flexibility and use of it comes with a price as we had to train some of our users more in-depth than with some of the more out of the box system. The need for power-users is also very local as you customize the system. No other company will have exactly the same system and so you can have a harder time hiring specialized employee that already know the system or finding resources outside the Highline user community.

Travis

Does what we need it to do

Pros

I have been using NeoGov for the past 9 years and it has changed a lot, for the better. NeoGov is great about updating and making improvements. We only use the Insight, OHC, and Onboard modules. The modules pretty much do everything we need for them to do. And compared to prices of other Applicant Tracking Systems, NeoGov is hands-down the best value.

Cons

Some processes take too many steps to complete such as closing out a posting requisition.

Price

Meredith

Great product, easy to implement

Great product. I like how simple and easy it was to implement and configure especially compared to previous implementations for other products.

Pros

I like how easy it is to modify the product to meet our needs. It is simple and easy for candidates to use.

Cons

There was not anything in particular I did not like.

Reasons for choosing NEOGOV

Focus on public-sector needs. Ease of implementation. Cost.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

The previous applicant tracking system was not at all user-friendly and never worked as promised.

Cristin

Best ATS for Government

Pros

We use the ATS and Onboard. NEOGOV is easy to learn and navigate has feature that are invaluable such as interview self-scheduling; ability to search class specs/job descriptions for agencies nationwide; applicant read responses; robust reporting and metrics. NEOGOV offers ongoing training on every topic and customer service is outstanding. Integrating with our HRMS and Background Check vendor were easy.

Cons

Improvements could be made with regard to batch downloading applications (it would be nice to be able to download the pre-preview version of the application which is easier to read than the current batch download with lines and boxes on the application). Small improvements could be made to interview scheduling such as the ability to export the interview schedule into a nicer format with candidate contact info, rather than just a spreadsheet). These are not deal breakers. NEOGOV is outstanding!

Rebecca

Pros outweigh Cons so far

Pros outweigh cons overall.

Pros

NeoGov definitely listens to its users and is constantly providing updates and enhancements to meet user needs. The multiple modules make it easy to get a lot done within one program. Most of our users find the modules user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

As with any software, more customization would be great. A lot of system features are built for processes that our organization doesn't use. This can be confusing for users when we have to tell them to ignore certain features. I think this is true for probably any program that is not 100% custom. Recently the quality of customer support/customer service has gone down significantly. We have been assured by upper management that they are aware of those issues and are actively working to fix things.

Reasons for switching to NEOGOV

Product was being discontinued and there was a push to go paperless

NEOGOV