What are Patriot Payroll users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Patriot Payroll software through verified user reviews

2,914 Reviews

2,442

• icon"I really like that it is so User-Friendly, affordable, with great reports I would recommend it to anyone starting payroll on their own."
  • icon"Integration into our business was extremely smooth and easy. The program is very user friendly and easy to understand and work with."
  • icon"Integration for our current system works great, I especially appreciate the Quickbooks integration feature."
  • icon"The price I pay per month. Other than that I don't have much to complain about."
  • icon"I hated the lack of reports, unable to change paydate if date has passed, lack of free support, documentation, videos, customized reports."
  • icon"When I started using the service was a little bit hard to understand because you need to explore by yourself the software and I was scared to make a mistake."

Browse all Patriot Payroll Reviews

• Have you used Patriot Payroll and would like to share your experience with others?

ResetShow 2,903 Results

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,903 reviews

Darrell

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

The Perfect Payroll Solution for Us

Phil

Most pleased... intuitive and easy to use

Exceptional. Easy to use. Quick response on questions.

Pros

Intuitive, flexible, suits all my needs, takes care of the IRS, W2s, 1099... I love it.. Would cost me four times as much to even think about having a bookkeeper do this for me.. Excellent for small non-profit and for entrepreneurs.

Cons

Not really any. Took a little time to set up, but that is expected.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

Cost, ease of use, churchtrac recommendation

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Churchtrac dropped payroll support and recommended Patriot. Patriot has many more supporting features.

Mike

Saves so much time, and I always recommend it!

I've saved so much money and time with Patriot, thank you for this product!

Pros

I was paying over $300/mo for a full service payroll for myself + 3 employees to a CPA. I now pay under $40/month for full service payroll with Patriot, and their software is a joy to use. Running a quick payroll, and handling bonuses, benefits, and deductions is so straight forward. The setup and support team is easy to access, quick to answer, and in the US!

Cons

Just because I like to have all of the information, as a feature suggestion, it would be nice to have a tax portal to see my balances and standing all of the state/federal tax accounts.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and features. Intuit is so heavy and invasive, and more expensive. Some of the other small startups were buggy and did not have the features I need.

Debi

March 2022

Great Payroll & HR Software for small businesses. Inexpensive and User friendly!

Overall its the simplest payroll system we have used at our company and we recommend it. Our employees also prefer this system and love the employee portal.

Pros

Great Customer support! The payroll, HR, and reports features are very user friendly. If you need help you can get customer support on the phone or chat in about 5 minutes and they will walk you through any changes, access tax docs, advanced reports features, and answer questions on any part of their software you don't understand.

Cons

They could improve on communication of an important tax change or upcoming withdrawals like- deferred social security deduction. One time it was taken from our account and I wasn't aware until after it happened.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

Easy to use and inexpensive.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

it wasn't user friendly. too complicated and reports didn't integrate with our systems well. Also Quickbooks had very bad customer service.

Ashley

March 2022

Payroll software

It is easy to submit more than one payroll at a time.

Pros

It is easy to manage. Fairly inexpensive. Accessibility is great.

Cons

Inputting numbers is sometimes tricky at best.

No convincing argument to switch

Another payroll service. Nothing great. Wish they would add more value to my business - maybe then I'd stay. But, when the Gusto, Quickbooks, ADP, Paychex exist -- not sure why I'd use Patriot.

Pros

How quick you can be up and running Fairly intuitive overall structure

Cons

Color Scheme Reporting should be focused on the accountant and it seems to be focused on someone else. Not sure who.

NSF Payroll - kicked out by QBO

Get a real company to do your payroll

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you. They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly. NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted. The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process. I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

Response from Michele

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot: 1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made. 2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off". 3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year. 4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals 5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.) 6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period. 7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it! I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!

Replied May 2017

Vickey

Awesome Payroll Software

As I have stated before, their support is awesome and the "chat" feature has a live person on the other end=) Those live people know the software as well and are usually always able to resolve any issue I have in minutes. Set up is a little difficult ...IF you don't know payroll, so I would strongly recommend hiring someone that knows your type of industry (I work with churches and ministers and payroll is an area that I see a lot of mistakes)...to set up the software for you. But after you get it set up, it is pretty easy to use. I highly recommend this software.

Pros

Their support! After leaving Intuit Payroll for Patriot, their "knowledgable" and available help was a refreshing change!

Cons

There is not an "auto" payroll for my clients that have the same payroll each time. With that added feature, Patriot Payroll would just about be perfect in my opinion.

price

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

QuickBooks messed up my and my clients payroll up one too many times. Also, their support is terrible! I just spent 2 hours with them this week because 2 YEARS after I CLOSED my account....they filed 3 payroll returns with all zeros and caused my correct 4th quarter returns to be rejected. After 2 hours I was finally told that they would NOT do anything to fix their error as even tho their support assured me my account was closed...it was not. SO it was all my fault. I had to pay Patriot to file amended returns, because QB Payroll could care less about me as a person.

Daphne

The ease of Patriot Payroll

The staff is wonderful to work with. Tha software is like Payroll for dummies. Ease and very affordable.

Pros

Patriot has a very simple approach for the layman. If you don't understand they guide you and with patience and ease to get the job done. I highly recommend the payroll software.

Cons

I've only used Patriot for just over a month. So far so good.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

I had QB online. Loved the live book keeping but when I called the payroll dept to find out what they had to offer they started the payroll when I told them not to because I wasn't sure if our EIN was going to change because we applied for Sub S corporation status. When I called and informed them that i did not approve of the start for the payroll and that i wanted a refund they never refunded the monies. I had the name of the person that helped me and the date and time. To no avail no refund. So I lost trust in them and in the end they lost a customer.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Paychex flex is very expensive. triple the price

Jeff

Great payroll option

Love it! It's how payroll use to be using intuit. Simple, easy and ad free.

Pros

Great support team, fast and easy to set up and run.

Cons

As an Administrator, you have to call them to have access for setting up a client. 2nd and 3rd access to finish up. Should always have full access to make adjustments.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

Best price, best product and great support staff.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Too many ads, ad ons, too much control on usage, prices keep going up. No interest in working with CPAs anymore. Intuit is now trying to do everything which makes them an expert on nothing.

Industry: Publishing

No real cons to Patriot.

Pros

The simplicity and completeness of the payroll system. The cost-effectiveness and variety of options / packages. The great customer service.

Cons

Not really any cons, but i know quite a bit about payroll, so many small business owners might be overwhelmed a bit on how to get Patriot's system to best work for their businesses, if they're new to having and managing the payroll accounting for employees.

See above.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Long-term cost, and better customer service and better flexibility of packages and options with Patriot.

Carol

February 2022

Easy to use format, great support Team

Pros

Easy to use payroll, for simple payroll and beginning companies, that need assistance with the payroll taxes, quarterlies etc.

Cons

Getting into a more complicated payroll with multiple fringe benefits can be cumbersome but with such great support soon becomes no big deal.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

QuickBooks is too expensive for small companies, I enjoy helping small business get started without driving them out of business because of expensive software.

Lawren

Stress-free tax filings

I was looking for a payroll company that would automatically take care of my tax filings and Patriot delivered.

Pros

I liked this software because it was easy to use but most importantly, it automatically filed my tax forms which is the main reason for the purchase. It made my life as a freelancer a lot easier and stress-free knowing all the proper tax filings were in order.

Cons

I just wish it was a little cheaper. For a freelancer, $30/month adds up, especially in those months when no money comes in.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

I think patriot had a better deal at the time or maybe even a sign-up special. I'm not sure. Next time I use a payroll software I'll compare the two.

Dr.Alona

Excellent customer service, easy and very reasonable fees!

Easy, self guided processing. easy to see reports. Customer service is available live as needed. ususally not a very long wait on the call. Easy on the eyes site. Reasonable fees for this type of service. Well priced and I always recommend it!!

Pros

I had been in bussiness for over 30 years, had many different large payroll companies and love this platform, company , live customer service that are always knowledgable, well trained and great value for the service.

Cons

At times, It was not very intuitive when it came to seeing invidual payroll and also when I needed to figure out and adjust Contributions. Ususally had to call customer support.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and self administration.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

I was recommended by a friend and the cost and self administration were main reasons

Jay

Payroll done correctly

We process all employee payroll. We also use it to send out all direct deposits and even vendor ACH payments. It is solid as a rock and works very well. No surprises, which is welcome!

Pros

Patriot Software Payroll is a full service, no worry solution that just simply works. Once you get everything set up, it's pretty straightforward to use and not horrifically expensive, which is exactly what a business needs in payroll processing.

Cons

We really have no complaints about it at all. It's simply a great solution for any business to consider moving to!

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

Patriot Payroll had everything we needed in a payroll solution nicely covered, at a fair price point. We are extremely satisfied with Patriot Payroll.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Intuit Quickbooks Online got very expensive, what made it price itself our of our budget.

Viviana

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Care free Payroll

Great experence.

Pros

I like that Patriot software gives you the option for full service payroll.

Cons

I have not crossed anything that I don't like except reaching customer service, but maybe because they are so busy.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

Too expensive and not full service even though they see full service.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

PrimePay is horrible in reporting.

Kelli

February 2022

Giving Patriot Payroll A Go.....

My overall experience with Patriot Payroll is/was definitely positive, I enjoyed the ease of the program & I definitely enjoyed the price

Pros

It was so very easy to use! Much much easier then the program I have been using for the past 2 or do years, I had absolutely no problems logging in & had our company payroll done within minutes. The price is also amazing, it's almost half of the cost of our previous program. I will definitely be using Patriot Payroll from here on out & I will be telling everyone I know about Patriot Payroll, anyone that works in Human Resources (or anyone who does payroll for a company) needs to know about Patriot Payroll!

Cons

There was really nothing at all that I didn't like about it.

I liked what I had read & heard about them

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Just to give another company a try, I was running into a few problems with our previous payroll program/company

Courtney

December 2021

Great product, amazing customer support!

absolutely wonderful! TOP NOTCH customer support,

Pros

Honestly, the simplicity & the customer support

Cons

nothing! I do not have any complaints at all

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

simplicity, cost, and customer support

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

price and customer support and other issues

Excellent Product

Simple, easy, efficient, effective, perfect.

Pros

It has made payroll extraordinarily easy and simple. I have no issues running payroll and reporting and filings are done seamlessly and accurately with the state and the IRS.

Cons

It took me a time to get the right tax id numbers but that was a state issue, not a software issue. so I have no complaints on the software

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

I have quickbooks for another business I own and operate and have been less than pleased and wanted to try a new platform.

Joseph

February 2022

Customer service is the best !

Pros

Payroll and accounting are easy to use and if I need help , no long waits on hold , Helpful people who can speak your Language

Cons

Payroll needs to include a prevailing wage option customizable for each employee

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Bad customer service people could hardly speak english

Samantha

Switching is easy!

The experience has been easy and straight forward. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] has been awesome and easily available.

Pros

The customer service is awesome! I was assigned my own onboarding helper and he reached out before I even knew he exsisted!

Cons

The journal entries could be easier to match in QBO.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Based on reviews, research and pricing of both products I chose to switch to Patriot.

Steve

Too good to be true, but it is!

Patriot payroll was simple, reliable and economical.

Pros

Patriot's customer service was second to none in helping me get set up using my first payroll service. They also helped me integrate Patriot payroll with my QuickBooks. I couldn't ask for better payroll service!

Cons

The integration with QuickBooks was a little cumbersome at first, but after I got the hang of it, it worked flawlessly.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

I chose Patriot Payroll because the radio ads sounded like Patriot was a reliable company.

Too expensive for just 2 employees

Kimberly

Awesome Payroll Software

All support staff has been excellent. Every once in a while a screw up a paycheck and they are always there to help me identify the issue and resolve, always in a timely manner.

Pros

The payroll is easy to set up and you can call and get support. I have never had a bad experience with support at Patriot. The software calculates your payroll liablilities, which is awesome, because I am NOT an accountant. I require ease of use and simple explanation.

Cons

I use the basic features for payroll and tax liabilities, I don't do anything over my head.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Quickbooks (in my opinion), was not USER friendly. There were quite a bit of nuances there were glitchy and I found it hard to use. If you had an error, is was not easily fixed.

Rachel

Great full service product for an affordable price

So far it is going great, and I think all the calculations are accurate. Hoping this quarter goes smoothly with the Worker's Comp filings, so I won't have to deal with this myself!

Pros

I love that they offer everything my client needs, including worker's comp filings in Wyoming. They are also much more affordable than QBO Payroll.

Cons

It is a little hard to navigate at first, and confusing to set up or transition to from an old payroll provider. Also I don't like that you only have one day to submit payroll before they cut off the direct deposit abilities.

Reasons for choosing Patriot Payroll

I've used Gusto for other clients, but they are more expensive for the same service, so we chose Patriot. Sure Payroll looked good, but they didn't offer the Wyoming Worker's Comp filing, while Patriot did.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

QBO was continually raising prices to a very expensive rate, and they kept making mistakes on quarterly tax filings. They didn't offer Wyoming Worker's Comp filing, so I had to handle that and juggle filing at a certain time to prevent their unemployment filing from being canceled. It was a headache.

easy payroll

Pros

I like this software, it making it easy for me and frees up my time to do other things

Cons

all of it, I really like the workers comp report to fill my reports to the insurance co.

Reasons for switching to Patriot Payroll

Their call in lines barely speak English anymore

Showing 1 - 25 of 2,903 reviews