(1,270)

1,270

• Pros

• "I love how easy it is to use. It is very user friendly and the staff never made me feel awkward when i would call up for assistance. Great job Patriot!!"

• "Easy processing. Reasonable prices. Great support."

• "I love the price! I have a very small company and this self-service payroll is very affordable. It is also very simple and user friendly"

• Cons

• "It is a little hard to setup at first, but I also have 401K plans so mine might be a bit complicated. After that it is a breeze."

• "The direct deposit schedule is slower than with other providers, but for the price I can't really company. Many clients are happy with that trade-off. "

• "The initial set up took a bit longer than I anticipated, but in hind site, the various steps were necessary for accuracy and setting a solid foundation."

Browse Patriot Payroll Reviews

Mike from Folcik Enterprises, LLC

Saves so much time, and I always recommend it!

I've saved so much money and time with Patriot, thank you for this product!

Pros

I was paying over $300/mo for a full service payroll for myself + 3 employees to a CPA. I now pay under $40/month for full service payroll with Patriot, and their software is a joy to use. Running a quick payroll, and handling bonuses, benefits, and deductions is so straight forward. The setup and support team is easy to access, quick to answer, and in the US!

Cons

Just because I like to have all of the information, as a feature suggestion, it would be nice to have a tax portal to see my balances and standing all of the state/federal tax accounts.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and features. Intuit is so heavy and invasive, and more expensive. Some of the other small startups were buggy and did not have the features I need.

Noreen from Timothy Jon & Associates LLC

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

Customer Service and Features / Restrictions

Payroll rules and tax reporting / payments are simplified in one place.

Pros

This software was very easy to use, and as my business grows I am finding the necessary features needed are available to me. Whenever I have called customer service, I usually have gotten a person that is knowledgeable and is able to help me. There have been times that the person called has not been able to help me, and was able to escalate my issue to someone that could.

Cons

Changes to setting sometimes allow changes that are incomplete. In 2019, I added the accounting software to Patriot Payroll. I updated settings in "Payroll Integration Options" but missed some. I was able to save the partial data and run a payroll. When reviewing the accounting journal entry that was generated from the first payroll with the accounting software, I saw the JE generated was incomplete. If I had not checked to verify this JE was correct, this would have been difficult to track down later. This is a big miss, and there should be some warning or stop to prevent this (incomplete data) from happening.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

1. Our payroll process is simple and Patriot did everything that I needed. 2. We added a insurance deductions and 401k deductions and employer matching and Patriot had the settings I needed to add these options. 3. Patriot was cheaper than other options.

Chris from KABOOST

Get a real company to do your payroll

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you. They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly. NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted. The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process. I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

Response from Michele

Replied May 2017

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot: 1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made. 2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off". 3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year. 4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals 5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.) 6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period. 7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it! I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!

timothy from Sports World Ministries

Extremely easy to use - Excellent US-based support

Pros

I absolutely love how responsive Patriot's support is and it's US-based, which is a huge plus because of alternative language barriers or time zone issues. They offer phone, email and/or chat support with low to no wait times. I love how self-explanatory things are - it's easy to 'find' what you're trying to do in most cases, without enlisting the help of Support. Definitely saves me time and money versus using an overpriced and under-delivering PEO, that's for sure.

Cons

Patriot does not yet offer the ability to break employees out by department, which is particularly useful for reporting purposes, when entering info into accounting software such as QBO, etc. While I'm told they're working on this functionality, it's been 9 months since I was told this and am still not hearing updates on progress in rolling this out. But we have since come up with a feasible workaround and realize no single solution will do 100% of what you're needing, in almost any case. So it's not impacting our workflow in an overall negative way, it'd just be nice to have this when it rolls out.

Price and support

Catherine from Rodney Manning Air Conditioning & Heating

Highly Recommended

Yearly audits ask for some obscure paperwork. Patriot always knows exactly where to find it. Every time. A different paperwork. They know their database very well.

Pros

This is so easy to use Patriot Payroll. I'm too busy doing my job and I am thrilled for a reasonable fee someone else will handle the quarterly state and federal forms and take taxes from the paycheck. Frankly, I don't even have to worry about any of it. They just do it. ANOTHER MOST (?) that I like is when I do have to call Patriot, EVERY time I've called, I have received friendly service AND HELPFUL advice. I NEVER have to be transferred. I always get my answer from a friendly person who answers the phone. This is THE easiest and most friendliest company to work with.

Cons

I can't think of a thing I do not like about this company.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Mainly - Heard the ads on business radio, like KPEL in Lafayette, LA; Sean Hannity radio - whatever radio station? Not sure if we had Sirrius XM then. Then by talking to the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of Patriot (at that time). He called me several times. Nice touch. Not pushy. Just wanted to answer my questions. It seems Patriot employees are similar. Then I like Quickbooks, but I like the desktop version better and decided not to go to their online version. Completely different database.

Raymond from RAYMOND L NIBLOCK PA

Perfect for a Small Business or Sole-Proprietor

Overall, Patriot has helped me get my payroll taxes under control. For years as a sole proprietor (I am self-incorporated with an S election) I was just paying in estimated taxes quarterly and thus my income was determined by my draws, in essence. Like many sole proprietors, I got behind on my estimates and ended up with big tax bills every year. This software enabled me to implement what my accountant had been begging me to do for years: put myself on a reasonable, regular, payroll, and stick to it. Because cash flow is never predictable in my work, I pay myself a weekly salary. The software does my withholdings, takes out the money for taxes, and then does an ACH direct payment to my personal account each week. It also calculates employer contributions for health insurance, HSA, and in my case, an SEP. It has brought much needed discipline in my personal finance and how I run my business with very little cost.

Pros

This product is easy to learn and use, and that is what I like most about this software. Second to that, I like the fact that it has made my own payroll (I pay myself a W2 salary out of gross company earnings) nearly mindless. The fact that my payroll taxes are computed accurately, withheld, paid on time, and that the forms are filed for me is priceless.

Cons

I think the payment of bonuses could be more obvious in how it is done, but I am stretching here. This product is nearly perfect.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Patriot offered exactly what I needed for a whole lot less money. I didn't need all the quicken bells and whistles.

Elizabeth from Elizabeth Daniel Law, PLLC

Great payroll software!

Pros

I was able to scale up my needs without changing platforms or disrutping my currrent processes. When I hired one employee I was comfortable doing my own tax filings and paying taxes myself--Payroll ran the calcuations for me and I did the rest. As I scaled up, it made more sense to let someone else do the filing and tax payments for me so I switched over to full service payroll. It was a seamless transition and has been easy to manage. I still have plenty of control but know that deadlines are met and payments are made. I also really like that I'm not paying for services I don't need or don't care about.

Cons

It is occasionally difficult to figure out how to run reports to get certain information. In time, I've learned my way around but it doesn't always feel intuitive. However, the customer service when I do get stuck has been great! It is usually a longish wait on the phone but they are efficient and very helpful once I do get in touch.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Pricing and flexibility to only pay for what I need. It has turned out to be as powerful as I can imagine needing and I am very happy with my decision!

Lynne from Alan Cramer Investments, Inc.

Love Patriot

Overall, we are very pleased with Patriot Payroll. We moved from Quickbooks Payroll in 2018 and for the most part, it is great. Every now and then, we have something that comes up that is out of the ordinary, BUT Patriot is always able to work it out for us, other than the coding of taxes to more than one week. The reports are very self explanatory and very useful.

Pros

We like the ease of use of Patriot. We are a very small office, with only 9 employees and our payroll is basically the same every week, with the exception of hours changing, We have 2 salary employees and everyone else is hourly.

Cons

We wish there a way to code a specific payroll for a person that is a large item, like a commission so that the software would tax it for more than one week. The commission may be for more than one week, so it would be great it there was a way to specify to tax it for say 4 weeks. When I used ADP at a previous employer, they had that option and it was great.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

It was the best fit for our small office payroll

Justin from Northeast Ohio Integrated Pest Management Services

Industry: Environmental Services

Patriot Software - Great Payroll Software Value

Overall, Patriot has been great to work with. Set up was quick and easy. Onboarding employees and contractors are straight-forward and not hard to do. And their service is top-notch as well.

Pros

I like the ease of use and user-friendly interface and dashboard.

Cons

I think that the timeline when processing payroll isn't as advantageous to small businesses as more expensive options like ADP can be. Although it's not as costly as ADP it required payroll to be funded about a week ahead of check dates which can be challenging for a new, small field service company.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

We chose Patriot for it's the combination of affordable cost, good service, and good features and functionality.

Jacob from Preis is right accounting and tax services

Quality Software for accountants

Pros

I really enjoyed the simple , easy to follow instructions for set up of new clients; the method of entering payroll is clean and neat and not complicated, and excellent, friendly customer service.

Cons

I would like them to have an upload feature for payroll and for 1099 payments.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Primarily cost comparison and what my clients needed and expected.

Kristen from Bookkeeping Illuminations

Patriot Software

Customer Service is great . It's not always intuitive with where to find things, but over the year + we've used it they've made a few great improvments (like multi hour wages, and pto tracking).

Pros

We use Patriot Software in a wide variety of industries (restaurant, retail, day care, and more). I love how I can set it up for a client, and show them briefly how to run their own payroll. Very easy for simply payrolls.

Cons

My biggest pet peeve is the inflexibility of making tax adjustments. For Example: a restaurant where they pay out tips each night means that a check would be for sever hours only, usually about $40 for the week. The tips justify enough taxes that they end up with a negative paycheck. In any other system I can manually adjust the taxes held to get the check to zero or close. (the server ends up owing money at the end of the year). With PS, I have to come up with other options for getting the paycheck to zero (like getting the business to cover the taxes in the meantime).

Price point.

Tony from Concentric

Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!

This is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.

Pros

The customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.

Cons

The direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

Response from Michele

Replied February 2018

Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)

Neal from Massage Fishers

Bang for your buck!

I had tried ADP and PAYCHEX before switching to Patriot. As a sole proprietor running a small business, I was not prepared to handle payroll taxes. ADP was so expensive, i felt. Paychex had me depend on a person to take my info and process it. That person was off one day when my payroll needed completed and i missed payroll! That didn't go over well. For the last few years we have used and fallen in love with the simplicity of Patriot. I input the numbers and it gives me a PDF to print onto my checks instantly. It's all I ever wanted.

Pros

1.) Its simple to use. 2.) Its cheap. 3.) Full featured but lets me print my own checks instantly.

Cons

I thought at first that Patriot was going to send out the Tax documents to my employees. But that wasnt the case. That was a bummer as i wasnt at first prepared. But it makes since that we should send them to know we meet our deadlines and have proof they were sent.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Didnt seem like bloated software. It did just what i needed.

Response from Patriot Software

Replied September 2019

Neal, you've made our day! Thank you for spreading the word about Patriot!

Danielle from San Diego Youth Science, LLC

The best decision!

Purchasing access to the Patriot Software program was one of my best decisions. In fact, I wish I had started sooner because it would have saved me a lot of time and money. I appreciate knowing when I call for tech support I will be able to speak with a person in a timely manner, and that person will be patient with me. I cannot imagine growing my business without Patriot Software.

Pros

I am both a scientist and an educator, not a business person by training. Patriot Software was recommended to me by my accountant. I primarily use the payroll features for my small business. It is so easy to use for both myself and employees. I appreciate the fact there is an employee portal. All of the features from running payrolls, to creating W2s is so user-friendly. And when I haven't been sure how to accomplish something the phone in teach support has been amazing. Aside from the product being a wonderful time saver for me to use, it also at a price point that is incredibly reasonable.

Cons

This is one of the rare items I have ever used where I have nothing constructive that should be changed. I have been thrilled with all aspects of the Patriot System.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I spoke with their representatives a number of times on the phone and really liked the staff I encountered. I also felt the services I needed were offered at the right price point for my small business.

Geoffrey from Allied Janitorial

Industry: Environmental Services

Kicks Qickbooks aside for the value

It has been great , and the value and ease of access are phenomenal.

Pros

First of all, very affordable. Next, it is very easy to run payroll, the dates are already selected. I just put in the number of hours and download the pay stubs. The reports are very easy to use as well and come in extremely handy when paying taxes, especially at the end of the year!

Cons

I was going to say nothing until recently. A new employee started and she is working low hours however the software was not taking out a federal income tax for her. I realize that is a precaution against someone not being liable if they do not make enough, but it is a problem when the company owes monthly federal payments and the system does not accept a $0.00 when the obvious other taxes are being paid. I'm actually going to have to call customer service soon...

Response from Patriot Software

Replied May 2020

Hi Geoffrey. The software will calculate federal withholding based on the IRS tax tables for this year using payrate, pay frequency and status. If the employee owes no federal taxes due to low income on a payroll, the software will report the taxable wages AND the amount of taxes that were collected and deposited. In this case the taxes would be reported as zero. Please do reach out to our helpful support team with any questions!

Susan from Brockmann Financial Services

Great Product, Reasonable Price, Easy to Use!

Awesome and easy. As far was we know, so far, there have been no errors whatsoever.

Pros

I don't need to know anything about payroll rules and regulations and yet I can "run payroll" in about 2 minutes. I needed to find a way to pay 2 people in our office and our local accounting service was going to charge an unreasonable amount in my opinion to assist our small business. Patriot Software offered an easy to use option. We also use the time card option which is also fabulous and easy.

Cons

Sometimes there is a delay in getting support but I think that's because they are busy and growing which is awesome for them. Getting things set up took a bit of time but the people at Patriot were helpful and patient through the process. I know nothing about how payroll works but their support people worked through it with me.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I did a search online and found Patriot Payroll and it was exactly what we were looking for. I was nervous about going through an online company that I had no connection with but my risk paid off in a big way and I've been completely satisfied with how everything has been working. Everything is filed on time, my employees get their pay, and at the end of the year all of my statements are ready to print for our tax preparer. It makes me look like I know what I'm doing! Awesome product.

Christine from SBS CPA's

Love this Software

Everything has been amazing. The customer service is awesome, the software is easy to use, and the price is just the best.

Pros

I love everything about this. 1) The ease, it is so easy to use 2) the customer service team is always so helpful and listens to suggestions and has implemented suggestions we have made 3) the Price, we came from Intuit and the price savings was crazy amazing 4) They process all payroll forms, Intuit would not process our local LST returns, but Patriot does, they do them all!

Cons

The few items I would like to see changed are mainly just with check printing. It would be nice to be able to print DD stubs with a layout that looks like a laser check so that they could be folded and put into double window envelopes like the checks are. The second thing would be to be able the change the stub options on checks. Currently, laser checks take up both stubs on a check to make one pay stub. It would be nice if you could have an option that it all fit on just one of the check stubs, and then repeats again on the second stub for the employer's copy.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

They offered all the options we were looking for as accountants processing clients' payrolls along with the price.

Matthew from Choose to Love, LLC

Easiest and best service and value!

Patriot Software's customer service team has been friendly and helpful every time I have reached out. All of my questions have been answered quickly so I could get back to work.

Pros

I love Patriot Software Payroll's incredible ease of use. I used it for a year, then switched to Quickbooks Payroll because I thought it would be easier because we use QBO. I was wrong. Quickbooks Payroll was much harder to use. The primary reason is that you still have to do a great deal when using QBO Payroll. With Patriot Software, once it is set up, the do so much more FOR you as part of the service. This gives me peace of mind, because I don't worry about making a mistake or overlooking one of the many filings.

Cons

For Patriot Software's Payroll software, I have experienced no downsides.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I stayed with QBO for accounting because Patriot Software Accounting lacks the ability to enter a split transaction.

DJ from Brainspire Solutions

Easy to use and outstanding support

I replaced ADP with Patriot Software for a fraction of the cost and easier use. What I find best is the personal customer service both through chat and on the phone.

Pros

This product is intuitive and extremely easy to use to run payroll and find reports or information that I need. It has the exact features that I want without being overly complicated. I also appreciate the tax filing services and end of year reporting and filing for all my employees and 1099 subcontractors.

Cons

I find the PTO recording and reporting difficult, but I may just need more education.

Crystal from Crystal Clear Mobile Providers

Honest Patriot Payroll Review

This software has saved me a huge amount of money regarding payroll.

Pros

Cost was a big thing especially compared to other accounting software. It is easy to use.

Cons

I wish it was easier to calculate the PTO part.

Cost

Response from Patriot Software

Replied September 2019

Hi Crystal, Thank you for your terrific review. We wanted to let you know that in addition to the free manage time off feature, we also have time off accruals where you can set up "rules" so employees earn their PTO hours based on the number of hours worked. Please check out our help article on how to set those up,(https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/help/setting-up-company-time-off-accrual-rules/) or chat or call us! We are here to help.

Marshall from Inbound Studio

A low-cost Payroll service

Pros

It's one of the lower cost full-service payroll providers out there, and it has an attractive feel, and will appeal to business owners who are not full-time HR professionals. The dashboard is straightforward, decently uncluttered, and shows useful information at a glance, with the ability to quickly dive into more information as necessary. Running payroll is also relatively easy once everything is set up, and with full-service payroll, they will take care of all filings as well which is nice. The service is pay as you go, cancel anytime without penalty.

Cons

Running a payroll is a manual process, and when entering hours there doesn't seem to be a method for uploading a spreadsheet or any import process. For some businesses with many employees this would be tedious, unless you use their time tracking service as well (at an additional fee). They offer additional services, which may appeal to some businesses, such as accounting, but unfortunately they leave those menus intact regardless of if you have the product or not. The result was that as I learned the product, I often found myself on screens that unhelpfully said I don't have a subscription for this. In my opinion those options are cluttering up space, I don't need a constant reminder for a service I don't need. The only reason it is there is for gratuitous upsell, which doesn't help user experience. The biggest con for me, and the reason I ultimately chose another service, is the setup process. While I'd imagine it wasn't necessary difficult, it was overly complex, and involved printing documents, scanning, initialing, and steps other services don't require (or simplify) for setting up services such as Direct Deposit. Working with customer support felt like talking to a robot, not a human, who stood behind her curtain of company policies and couldn't engage in real conversation or sympathy for a frustrated customer. In 2018, we have enough robots to talk to, when we speak to a human they should really sound like one.

Rob from Data Graphics

Industry: Printing

Very easy to use

Pros

I have been in business for 30 years. I have used ADP and Wells Fargo Payroll over the years. When I was kicked off of ADP after 10 years because my company was too small I was moved over to Wells Fargo payroll which also after about 10 years I was kicked off of their payroll service I assume because my company was too small (3 employees) and Wells Fargo is still in the payroll business. So I heard this ad on the radio for Patriot Payroll and i gave them a call. After a very easy but thorough transition process and excellent customer service from Patriot I was up and running with my new payroll service. Compared to ADP and Wells Fargo, Patriot software is SO MUCH Better! I enter the hours, commission and approve the payroll and that's it! 3 steps and I'm done. It takes less than 5 minuets. I highly recommend Patriot Payroll service

Cons

None! These guys are great. The setup was quick & easy and using the software weekly is a breeze

Vickey from Vickey's Bookkeeping Inc

Great Software for the Price!

Overall, Patriot Payroll works very well for my bookkeeping business and I would highly recommend them for other bookkeepers, small business owners, and nonprofits. I was using a very expensive full service payroll software that works inside of QBO...but had so many issues with them that when I switched to Patriot...it was a breath of fresh air! Their support was so much more "supportive" and being able to control the payroll transactions in QBO was wonderful! AND paying a fourth of the monthly fee of the "other" payroll software for better and more reliable software was nice too!

Pros

I use Patriot Software for all of my bookkeeping software because it is reliable and easy to use. It also cost a fraction of what other full service payroll software cost. Their Support staff is awesome and seems more knowledgable than the support reps I talked with my prior full service payroll provider. The payroll reports are easier to run and have the detail I need for my church clients. Setting up the unique compensation and taxes for churches is MUCH easier in Patriot also.

Cons

I don't like the journal entries (JE) Patriot automatically creates when you connect them to QBO. Better account mapping capabilities would solve that issue...but in the meantime I just turn off that feature and enter my own payroll JEs in QBO. I also don't like that I can't assign one employee to 2 or more different locations. You also can't assign more than one pay rate per employee. I have one client that is an employee of the church and of the church's preschool with different pay rates for both. Patriot helped me set up a work around...but it is not ideal. BUT even with these cons...I still love the software and am happy with their service.

William from Advice PC Group LLC

What a life saver

Even with the check printing challenges, I love the service. Nothing is perfect. We have been with Patriot for over a year now and our experience has been very consistent. We moved from another payroll service that cost about the same but did far less and had issues several times a year. I feel Patriot Software is fair. Most of the time when companies of multi service options as "piece meal" solution, the company does this in order to maximize the appearance of low cost. With Patriot, it is not the case, in my opinion it is to allow business owners to pick what their company needs.

Pros

Easy to use web interface and good help functions if you need them. Quick service if you have questions with their chat help feature. Very knowledgeable staff every time I have spoken to them. Patriot offers many options to pick from in order to meet each business needs. System just works without issues. If you choose, they will file all of your forms for you and I think it is well worth it. The employee portal is a great tool that allows employees to access their information at any time without using any man hours.

Cons

The printing of checks is the biggest issue we have found. It does print well once you setup. Printer setup is a bit challenging. The second part of the check printing issue is when you print on check voucher laser checks, no matter how you setup, it really does not print info in the right areas. Also unsure why you have to enter a check number on the "print payroll" page in order to download the file to print check with. Check numbers are already printed on the checks.

Victor from Tax America Multi Services

EZ to use

DON'T EVEN TRY IT JUST GET IT! YOU'LL LOVE IT

Pros

one of the most important things I was looking for when I was searching for a different payroll software was COSTUMER SUPPORT and thankfully I can communicate with Patriot Software easily. there is nothing to complain about, I absolutely love PATRIOT SOFTWARE!!!

Cons

I want to say come up with an application for IOS, Android, etc. which I know they are already working on it

Joel from Boon Realty LLC

Great program that disrupted the industry's big guys

Pros

It is easy to use and very intuitive. No manual required and you are able to do most of the things a regular business owner needs. If you have to call customer service, they are very good and attentive; especially at the beginning when one has to set up the company. I'm very satisfied with this company.

Cons

Some reports are different when you just ran the payroll than when you go to the report tab. I would suggest adding a favorite reports folder.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Because it was from the same [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] that were sucking my money for years.

Rick from Hawaii Home and Garden Network

It's a great SaaS for a payroll systems provider

I'm really glad that we found Patriot Software. When we needed a payroll solution, I did an online search and several names came up that specialize in payroll services for businesses of our size. After conducting some thorough research, Patriot Software came out on top based on services offered for the price, based on the size of our company. The only thing we had to lose (or gain) was a bad experience and since there was no contractual commitment, we went with Patriot and haven't looked back since. We're very pleased with getting all the things that matter to us: great customer service and a reliable and easy to use product at an affordable price.

Pros

The ease of use, the cost and the great customer service.

Cons

I honestly haven't encountered a real cons to note here. They give us everything we expect from them and pay for and we haven't encountered any hitches yet. Knock on wood.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

As I mentioned earlier, after researching all three options that I came upon during my research, Patriot Software had the best combination of price and services for a company our size. Since no contractual commitment was required to give them a try, we did, and they delivered on everything we needed and their customer service is what kept us coming back. I would gladly recommend them for any small to medium sized business who is looking for a payroll services provider.

July 2016

Carol from J-Pro Inspects, llc

July 2016

Used it for a month, liking it so far.

Took me awhile to navigate everything, mostly because we've never employed anyone before. I needed help to get started and great customer service to get me through the process since I was unfamiliar with all that was needed. They took me from New Hire to setting up the payroll. You can print checks or write them out yourself. It's been pretty smooth. Competitively priced.

Pros

It was pretty easy once I got all the forms from the employees and numbers I needed from the state and bank. PS is right their to help you. They don't send a bazillion e-mails but a check up once in awhile. I have only been using it for about a month but so far so good. I did have the advantage of a friend's experiences with other payroll software...she's been through 3 or 4 so far. So I didn't give those a try at all. They will run my 1099's and W-2's at the end of the year for me. We do need to request some services as they don't necessarily do them automatically. I've had great customer service and they patiently walk me through everything when I need it.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to know where the online info is that I need. The "check stub" gives the employee fees as well as the the employer contributions so I cut it in half. But that may be due to the fact that I write the checks instead of printing off a business payroll check. I would like them to have an option just for commission. You have to put in some hourly thing (I put $1) and then you can put in commission later in the program. So it works, it's kind of like they worked for you for an hour and you paid them $500. Expensive looking hour. Everything is online ( I am a paper in hand person...) so some times I am not sure where to find what I am looking for. However, a walk-through is just a phone call away (a Pro).

Eric from All Seasons Care, LLC

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Best Low Cost Alternative

Best Payroll Software for its money. Has the employee portal and everything. Makes a big company feel with half the costs.

Pros

The software has all the functionalities that other software providers offer with half the cost of them. I used other payroll software that doesn't even come close to pricing.

Cons

There isn't much. The only thing I would say would be the look of the website. Looks outdated but other then that all the functions work and i haven't had a problem out if it yet.

Costs.

Karen from Cypress Pediatrics

I tell everyone about Patriot Software!

I was really desperate to get another payroll system after several years of frustration with Paychex. When I first saw that I would be the one handling all the payroll, I was very intimidated by the concept! After all, I went to medical school, not business school. Then, I realized, if Paychex can repeatedly mess up the payroll, I was fairly sure that I could do it competently with the Patriot team's help. And it was the smartest business decision that I have made. It is so easy to set up, and running a payroll takes less than 10 minutes- including the time to print out a report! As a business person, it puts me in control and is an easy tool to use. Love would be a strong word to use but let's just say, when the patriot jingle comes on the radio, I smile and sing along! Oh- and it costs half of what Paychex was costing for doing the same thing! Can't beat that!

Pros

The software is so easy to use and the company support is phenomenal!!!

Cons

The only con is that I didn't know about Patriot when I was starting my business! I lost hundreds of dollars and hours of frustration with Paychex!

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I was impressed with the set up help that Patriot gave, the free trial period and I figured I had nothing to lose at that point since I was not happy with any of the other options. I could not be any happier and now I recommend Patriot to all of my physician friends who are starting out their own practices.

Ralph from New Hope Christian Church

Heard About Patriot Software On The Radio

I was using QuickBooks Non-Profit for accounting and payroll. The payroll add-on was so expensive and I had to file and pay all of my reports to the IRS, and state and local taxing authorities! By switching to Patriot all I have to do is record the transactions and file all the reports of collections, payments and filings. By switching my nerves are settled and calm knowing that everything is taken care of and is correct! No pressure now.

Pros

The cost for the services and the scope of the services provided.

Cons

I don't know of anything I dislike about Patriot Software.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Cost. Cost. Cost. Ease of use!

Response from Patriot Software

Replied August 2019

Thanks for sharing Ralph! We love that you no longer have to worry about payroll mistakes. Calming the nerves is one side effects of using Patriot Software. :)

Kathi from Sierra Business Services

Great product, excellent customer service

Easy and quality software - I highly recommend.

Pros

It was very easy to set up, but the BEST thing about this software is the customer service. Every time I've had a question, I've been able to have it answered quickly and easily with a chat.

Cons

The reason I don't transfer ALL of my clients to this software is the fact that payroll taxes are taken on the pay date and not when they are due. I would like the option (even an increased monthly fee) to be able to schedule tax payments on their due dates.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

First, it was price - and then I stayed because of the customer service.

Jonathan from Kulshan Painting LLC

Payroll for small business

Overall, payroll has been easy and quick to set up and customer support has been quick to help with any issues.

Pros

Learning to use Patriot Payroll was quick and easy. it is extremely self explanatory and their online support was very helpful while setting up the program.

Cons

The only issue we have had is that we can't divide the hours on payroll per employee for different L&I rates. For example, our crew will sometimes work an interior job and an exterior job in the same pay period which have very different L&I rates but as far as I know there is no way to select different codes for different hours. It's all or nothing

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Having not a lot of experience with any payroll system, we just went with what was recommended by a friend who has been happy with it.

Geoffrey from Mollifiers

overall very satisfied

I'm very pleased with patriot payroll. The customer service is extremely responsive, and they really go above and beyond to make sure their clients are satisfied.

Pros

I like the fact that I know nothing about what's going on behind the scenes in terms of quarterly tax payments. The people at patriot take care of everything, and I have yet to experience any type of error in my taxes while they've handled them.

Cons

There are no aspects of the software that need improvement —that I can think of. Running payroll is as easy as filling in a web form.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Online reviews of patriot payroll were much better.

Jonathan from Harbour Express Contracting

Saving me loads of time every month

I would use this software even without direct deposit as it greatly simplifies payroll for my small business (5 employees). With DD, I don't even have to write checks anymore, so it's a win/win. I tried other options in the market and they were too complicated.

Pros

Automated payrolls with direct deposit, multiple payroll runs per period, automatic federal monthly and and state quarterly tax payments, email notifications when funds need to be transferred. I was doing this whole process manually for 5 employees (no software) and hiring an accountant to prepare the quarterly statements. Now that is all entirely covered by Patriot.

Cons

Four business day processing for direct deposit is about 1-2 days too long. I've had to tell my employees to turn in their timecards 2 days early in order to get paid in a reasonable time (especially when weekends get in the way).

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Easier to set up and use. Price was about the same.

JACLYN from WESTFIELD MACHINE INC

Industry: Oil & Energy

easy as pie

Pros

i love that i can access payroll even on the fly! it is so easy to make changes and edits.

Cons

i wish you could print an employee roster.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

ease and i could connect from anywhere!

Kim from Kauer & Son, LLC

FANTASTIC Service and Company!

Pros

Love the ease of use, accuracy and customer service is the best! Was able to set up ourselves and not having to rely on a CDR that was different every time was key.

Cons

Nothing so far! I really have nothing bad to say 2 years in.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Liked being hands on and not having to rely on someone else to set us up!

Kenneth from Vietnam Veterans Foundation of Texas, Inc.

Patriot Payroll to the rescue.

My very light and easy payroll process, and monthly and quarterly reports and payments (to EFTPS) and other requirements are totally streamlined and accurate every time!

Pros

The most remarkable of Patriot Payroll was and has always been the short learning curve for a non-accountant type.

Cons

The only burr in the saddle is that to print my reports, any, I have to first either download and consequently save them (it) into my native pdf format, cluttering my download folders ... An 'on-board' app for pdf display capability; like my bank statements do - with the option to download OR (for immediate purposes) print ... like the universal download image (download arrow) and the universal print image (looks like little printer). I can get around it with a couple of intermediate steps, but it is the only process which I bump up against every time.

Elizabeth from Thelostchurch.org Inc

Taking the anxiety out of Payroll

Overall the set up and customer service is awesome. I called a handful of times during set up requesting help figuring something out..and it was always a great experience. We started with 1 employee and now have several, and payroll is a quick and painless task. I recommend PatriotSoftware to friends who run businesses, whom aren't tech savvy...encouraging them, they can do it too!

Pros

This software has the functionality of different pay rates for different jobs...1 employee might do several different jobs within a pay period, and as a non profit we need to keep track of where hours and money gets classified. This makes it so easy! I like that we see all our employees and all the pay rates within the same table. That way you can add the hours into each column, and see your estimates of what payroll will be, before you actually run it. The flawless integration of Direct Deposit to employees and Payroll Taxes being withdrawn is amazing. I don't have to think about it any further.

Cons

I ran into a couple problems with running adequate reporting for quickbooks entry. My Quickbooks Guru we work with, found a workaround within the reporting available to us..it worked out fine, just needed to do an extra step of calculations. I wish during the final step of payroll, it would give me a simple listed breakdown and total sum of : 1. payroll being deposited 2. employee taxes 3. employer taxes Total

Melissa from Ablak Holdings LLC

Industry: Restaurants

Patriot Software

The software is so easy to use compared to other payroll software.

Pros

It is easy to use the payroll software. You can pull reports quickly and without having to make a call to request the reports. Your tax filings are easy to pull up and see what was filed and when.

Cons

The availability of reports for a multi store company.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Patriot was user friendly.

ROBIN from Badger Custom Finishes

Industry: Shipbuilding

Patriot Software Review

My experience has been very positive. The support you receive is better than most accounting software.

Pros

First of all, I like the price. I was using a different software that was more expensive. I feel Patriotic is equal in functionality and at a much better price. Customer support is great. When I was acclimating to the software, I was calling often for support. I received patience & guidance through getting an understanding of Patriot.

Cons

My struggles with the software was my double deposit and payments when recording for profit and loss. Patriot was attached to the business account. It was difficult for me to know what I needed to record and what was automatically recorded. Also, Patriot recorded their taxes, social security etc. that was taken out for the company & employee. I didn’t understand this part of the process. I was recording the bank tax withdrawal and also Patriots. The bank would do one lump sum in their records & Patriot, gave details on how much was taken out for each tax category. The amounts were not the same so I was recording the same transactions for both Patriot and my bank. Therefore, when I would do my monthly bank reconciliation, there were lots of errors. This was when I called for customer support. They did a great job showing me how to record it correctly and editing so it would show my balanced bank reconciliation.

Linda from Lake Area Appraisal Firm

Outstanding Product

Patriot has saved me hours each payroll and at quarterly tax time. I would choose this service over and over again.

Pros

Ease of set up for myself, as well as my employees.

Cons

The new color of the website. That is it. Everything else is great. The color is really fine too, I just am not very accepting of change in the beginning. :)

None

Response from Patriot Software

Replied February 2020

Thank you Linda! We love it when customers say they would choose Patriot again if given a choice. :)

Shawna from Williams Hydraulic

Industry: Oil & Energy

Absolutely Great Program

Set up is quick and easy. If you do have questions or a glitch the chat feature is quick and helpful.

Pros

Patriot is one of the best and easiest programs I have ever used in my career. The user interface for both the employee and employee are simple and user friendly.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I am not happy with.

Lucy from Two Gals Cleaning

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Time-saver, Easy to Use & Top-Notch Customer Service

Patriot Payroll has made the process of payroll less burdensome, for both our employees and us, as the employer. They offer an array of options and variations, allowing you to customize the program to best fit your needs and functions. I can't speak highly enough of their customer service - they are extremely quick to follow up with to needs/functions and to any issues at hand or questions in general.

Pros

How efficient and user-friendly it is. They make it particularly easy, when it comes to taxes and tax reports. We are able to handle a majority of our taxes on our own and save money with a lesser use for our tax accountant, thanks to the features offered in Patriot.

Cons

Really, none. The few features we have previously felt it lacked have now been integrated into the software.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price-point and less complex.

MELANIE from Visual Eyes Creativity Center

Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

I'm so glad I found Patriot

I needed a program that would do my payroll that I could afford. I was so thrilled to come across Patriot. With Patriot I do the time keeping and then just plug those numbers in. The payroll is figured for me and I can download and print professional paystubs and checks (plus tax documents) at no extra cost. It even tracks accrued and used time off to the minute and figures in contributions and deductions. I can also print reports and see/print my payroll history at and time, for one or all employees. You can extend the services and do overall accounting, but I just have the basic payroll plan. I did, however, take advantage of the workers compensation insurance that can be figured right from the figures in the payroll and deducted automatically. No more yearly audits and surprise balloon payments.

Pros

It is easy to use, even for people like me with few accounting skills. It is affordable. Plus they are always improving upon it and responding to customer needs.

Cons

The only issue I've had is that my time record is in minutes and the Patriot figures are in decimals. I have to convert each emplyee's time. I only have 6 employees so it's not a big deal, but I wish they gave the option to simply enter minutes.

Russell from FieldMAXX Water Management LLC

Best Payroll software for small buisness owners

Patriot allows me to have more time to devote to other aspects of my business instead of worrying about payroll.

Pros

The functionality and cost. It works much better for a small business like mine with only 2 employees.

Cons

The UI was difficult to begin with. But, with the recent upgrades it is much better.

Cost

Carol from Churches for LIfe

Small Non-profit loves Patriot Payroll

Patriot Payroll is reliable and everything gets handled in a timely manner. We switched from using a local (rather grumpy) accountant. Being a small non-profit, we were definitely not a priority. It took at least a month to get reports back and we would be charged for every extra thing we asked for. My stress level has dropped significantly!

Pros

It is easy to use and was easy to set up. The support staff at Patriot Payroll were awesome. It is flexible so we can add bonuses, have salary and hourly employees. The tax filings are handled automatically which is super helpful - I don't have to stress about them at all. There is excellent communication particularly about bank holidays. The reports embedded in the system are readily available and customizable which was super helpful when I was filling out the forms for SBA PPP money - I didn't have to wait on someone to prepare the reports for me.

Cons

This product totally meets our payroll needs.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I have helped with the accounts at my son's printing business. They had Quick Books at the time and QB charged us a fee for every current and past employee. That annoyed me so I knew I wasn't going use that service. They also did not do the quarterly tax filings. I heard about Patriot Payroll on the radio and tried to convince my boss to switch which he did not want to do. When he left and I became the Executive Director, signing up for Patriot Payroll was one of the first things I did,

Denise from Groves & Verona, P.A.

Industry: Law Practice

Switch to Patriot Software now and save!

The cost savings for our small business is tremendous. No more spending thousands of dollars a year.

Pros

I have been looking at Patriot Software for our small business payroll for a couple of years and finally made the switch in January. It was a bit scary at first, but it was the best decision for our office. Our payroll does not fluctuate much each pay period and Patriot makes it very easy!! The online help Chat feature and phone customer service is great as well!! They have been able to answer all of my questions quickly and easily. I'm so glad we made the switch and highly recommend any small business do the same.

Cons

Nothing to dislike about Patriot Software. I haven't had one bad experience since making the switch in January.

Rebecca from Elkins and Associates, PLLC

Patriot Lifesaver

I use to have so many problems with taxes and filings and now it is a breeze!

Pros

This system is so easy to learn and set up. The ability to not worry about payroll anymore is fantastic.

Cons

I wish that the tax information was sometimes more detailed.

Peggy from Desert Valley Nursing Institute

New Business Owners

I was looking for Payroll and Accounting software when I opened my new Business. I had never done payroll or accounting before. This software is beginner user friendly and reasonably priced. I tried Quickbooks at the beginning, and it was difficult for me to learn, when I had nobody to help me navigate through it. I would highly recommend this to new Business owners.

Pros

The Accounting and payroll software are easy to use for a beginning Business owner. I was able to navigate through most of it myself, and if I had a question, their help desk was very friendly.

Cons

I wish there was a way to issue a customer a refund rather than having to do a journal entry.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and easy to learn how to use.

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,507 reviews