Paychex Flex Reviews

4.07 / 5 (1,062) FrontRunners

Our advisors have recommended this product 2 times in the last 30 days

Browse Paychex Flex Reviews

Steven R from Schlabach Enterprises Inc.

Calm in a sea of changing regulations

We had considered hosting our own payroll, however, with the craziness of COVID and regulations we are very happy we chose a partner provided and supported solution. Saves us time chasing new regulations and forms and the dreaded amendments.

Pros

The customer service makes the product easy to use. The support makes the product as with many payroll software products it will do what you want you just have to find the right entry and set up.

Cons

At times its so complete it can be overwhelming to find some less used features you had found before. Again they are all like this but the customer support makes this a breeze as you can actually talk to a human being that listens and helps.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

We actually tried it and it was not even close to what we had hoped. Paychex customer support makes it the only choice for us.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

ADP client support is a nightmare from our experience. From changing sales people to unreachable customer support.

Emmanuel from Housing Forward

Good product overall

It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros

Recording time is relatively easy. W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable Easy to navigate

Cons

From a user standpoint, nothing really.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

This was a decision made by upper management.

Eva from Winsome Trading, Inc.

Industry: Logistics and Supply Chain

PREVIEW was a great payroll work horse. But beware, FLEX Payroll is no PREVIEW.

We've been on Paychex PREVIEW payroll software for 16 years. It was a solid no non-sense payroll processing work horse which came with everything you'd ever need to process payroll for 100+ employees in a very quick and efficient manner. PREVIEW software was extremely well designed and well thought out. The developers took the perspective of payroll processing users and provided all the navigation speed, functionalities and reports that we'd ever find useful or need to do our jobs quickly and efficiently. There were hardly any unnecessary clicks, keystrokes or scrolling to speak of. It exceeded my expectation all these years. Paychex's golden era and reputation as payroll processing leader was probably due to these sensible legacy products. Like all good things which must come to an end, we were switched to FLEX Q2 of 2016 because PREVIEW was so old that Paychex decided to sun set it this year - which was totally understandable. But any reasonable PREVIEW clients would also expect and assume that whatever good features, good functionalities and useful reports that were available and had been working well in PREVIEW would be brought over and be available in the new payroll product as well. Not so. Enters FLEX which Paychex touted as being technologically advanced, etc. It probably is. But as far as FLEX payroll processing features and functionalities are concerned, I am actually set back 16 years to a payroll processing product that seemed Beta, very slow, cumbersome, awkward - compared to PREVIEW. Paychex simply threw PREVIEW out the window and started fresh from scratch with FLEX. I spent my first several months on FLEX Payroll sending them suggestions to make FLEX "better". I don't know if anyone cared. FLEX Payroll screen designs and navigation are very slow, very cumbersome, and very awkward. What I considered "speed features" in PREVIEW were non-existent in FLEX. Fields are spread out as far apart as they can find room to spread them out to (instead of keeping the screen layouts compact) seemingly so as to "maximize" unnecessary clicks, scrolls and keystrokes as much as possible. It's also more cumbersome and time consuming just to get information and reports from FLEX Payroll which could be run quickly and easily before in PREVIEW. I felt like I'm using payroll software designed by inexperienced college graduates who had never processed payroll before in their lives. They're out to get as much of my time make me do as much work as possible for the same amount of work that I have to do as before - to see where my breaking point is. So overall, I'm not impressed. To me, if the basic payroll processing functionalities are less than before, FLEX Payroll will still be inadequate despite all other "great features and modules" they added to FLEX which I don't need.

Pros

Flex integration with Benefits Administration (Benetrac) module can make life a lot easier for some - but Beware - only if your group is 100+ enrolled. Our Paychex sales rep did make the claim that with Benetrac service, our medical insurance transactions "will all be automatic with carriers and we wouldn't have to do a thing" - which was totally not true. As it turned out, more carriers than not do not do EDI for groups (company) with < 100 enrolled. So the main FLEX selling point totally didn't even pan out for us. Please learn from our lesson. Do verify specifically that your medical and dental carriers will do EDI for your group before signing up for Benetrac.

Cons

Although FLEX does its job as payroll software, having been on a faster and more efficient product before, we know how much more time we are spending on this "more inefficient" product compared to before. Oh and please save yourself the headaches and trouble by passing on other Paychex's services. We tried Paychex Health Insurance and ACA filing. They both failed miserably. Same story in both cases. Can't get hold of the account rep and customer service rep. No one would answer or return our calls. Last year's ACA were 60% wrong after I've redone and resubmitted data 3 different times after 3 different CSR told me 3 different things. They were just making it up as they went. Very frustrating.

Sheila from FAMILY FOCUS INC

Best decision we every made

They have helped me to ease up my role in the payroll process and they have set us up on five recruitment boards to help us find employees and the whole hiring process is so easy and I don't have to be so hands on through the process.

Pros

The hiring/onboarding piece is amazing. They set us up in less than 3 days and had us doing our first payroll within a week. They sat with us through the whole payroll process from start to finish to make sure we understood it all. The Time and attendance piece is awesome and works so well for our staff

Cons

There is nothing we don't like about Paychex. It has met our expectations and continues to do so daily.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

We felt it did a better job of what we needed and wanted our HRIS system to achieve.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paycor's customer service was awful and their program was not conducive to what we need as we continue to grow.

Justine from Delaware Center for Digestive Care

Payroll

Payroll, Admin for Employees keeping records.

Pros

The system was friendly to use and easier to do payroll when you were ready. There wasn't constant updates every day and you were assigned a representative to assist you with any issues.

Cons

Sometimes you run into an issues and your representative is out of the office you may get someone else who is not aware of the issue.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

At the time Paychex was more reasonable than the others.

Sean from Burd Home Health

Paychex Review

It has been a great experience as we were able to streamline many processes as a result of implementing the software.

Pros

It has given us more power to perform our necessary payroll functions which are a core foundation of our business. The self access portal allows me to manage and track my 401K. We do business in different state markets with different state statute regulations. Paychex has shown flexibility to be able to adapt to our needs.

Cons

The implementation stage took longer than we had hoped for. In the beginning the partnerships was getting quite expensive. We were able to work with Paychex to reach terms that best suited our business model.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We need to work with a larger vendor that could handle our workload.

Elisa from TerraPros, LLC

Paychex Flex for Small Business

My overall experience with the software has been positive. I can run payroll very quickly and everything comes back in a digital format for me to save, upload, or print for my records. They also have amazing customer service which they make personal and memorable.

Pros

The software is very user friendly and easy to navigate. There isn't anything hidden or difficult to figure out. Users can easily manipulate the software without guidance because everything is clear and concise.

Cons

I have not found anything about the software that was challenging or difficult to figure out, so far, the platform is everything a small business needs to get started with payroll.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex was the first company to follow up on my inquiry for service. They provided the most competitive pricing, and their customer service is amazing. They won my business on my overall experience with the company. I even received a call from a local representative to make sure the process was going smooth.

Rebecca from Charleston Hypnosis Center

Amazing Customer Service & Affordable

Highly recommended company! Easy to work with and very affordable for a small business owner.

Pros

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is an amazing sales representative who also manages my account. He is unbelievable in his response time and ease to work with. The payroll management is very affordable.

Cons

I had a few glitches with miscommunication with someone servicing my account but [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was there to instantly rectify the mistake.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Less expensive. Received immediate contact from a live person to inquire vs having to set up an appointment via email.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Recommendation from a colleague.

Fernando from Detwiler Roofing

Not for construction payroll

Good people but the tool is one vertical silo after another, we had multiple 3 way calls to coordinate our onboarding and there were many issues that I had to "hunt" for help.

Pros

The tax compliance is great. In a state where there are local taxes and in the ever-changing world of taxes, Paychex does a great job.

Cons

We are not able to generate our certified payroll reports because no one in Paychex knew how to set it up.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We were looking to integrate our Payroll with HR management. Unfortunately, Paychex did not deliver.

Anang from Thyme for Lunch Huebner LLC

Industry: Restaurants

Paychex Needs work

One and Done (Actually 2 and Done as I gave them another chance to fix things)

Pros

Sales Team was good and responsive mostly when issues occurred (almost every payroll we had issues as well as with the Recruitment module)

Cons

Over promised and under delivered. Recruitment and on-boarding never worked and we paid extra for this. The sales team rushed paper employee handbooks and manually entered our new hires as the self-service module did not work

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Paychex assured us that the onboarding module was seamless and employees could onboard themselves.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

At the time ADP did not offer an self service on-boarding service.

Eric from Source Receivables Management

Everything we need and more

Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros

I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons

The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex offered us everything we were looking for in one package at a very affordable price.

Kanwal from BRAINIACS CORPORATION

Great product

Customer service is the only downside. Otherwise, we are happy with the system itself.

Pros

We used to rely on our accountant in the past. This is a great way to have access to anything at anytime. Another perk is that the employees are able to review their tax documents remotely as well.

Cons

This is not really related to the software itself, but the customer service continues to be an ongoing problem. God forbid if you receive a notice from EDD or IRS, you'll be chasing behind people to follow up. I wish whatever forms are submitted, we can have access to them from a particular page along with the outcomes.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Price and everything being under one place

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We switched our time entries to Paychex Flex too because Timesheets.com doesn't have a proper tracking system for paid time off.

Erin from The Buckeye Institute

Industry: Philanthropy

Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind

Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros

It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions. Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons

I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately. I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

Peter from DP Financial & Tax Inc

Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right

Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros

Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons

One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want? Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

Candace from ITEC

Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!

The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros

Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons

Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

Devon from Consulting Industry

PayChex Flex is not that flexible.

Intuit should concede with their payroll platform and buy paychex, and paychex should enhance their integration and modernize the platform to something more agile like quickbooks. Employees should be able to onboard easier just as if they were buying something on Amazon. All of the 3rd party vendors that seem to be value added services are just more portals and passwords needing to be centralized.

Pros

When it works and the overloaded staff can actually assist you, it is an absolutely awesome service. I have used PayChex since about 2015. Back in the day my first representative was the absolute most amazing advisor and gave me confidence when speaking with her because I could tell she knew her job. Over time as we added more states and switched companies, our SUI numbers became switched, bank accounts and invoicing was not aligned.

Cons

Besides the reports that you are inundated with, the platform feels like it can actually perform, but truthfully it is pitiful java platform. The two factor auth is great but gets on my nerves and the fact that you cannot integrate with other identity providers or into your actual backoffice systems is a shame.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Mainly because they are based in Oklahoma and the support was amazing. My sales rep is amazing, but for the cost and the fact that payroll doesn't change much, it is cheaper to let them initially configure it and just pass it to your CPA. The fact they charge per employee per company is dumb too.

Amy from A Walk in the Park

Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need.

Pros

Together with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me. The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks. What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.

Cons

The browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails. The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear. Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.

Joshua from Steelworks of the Carolinas, Inc.

BIG DECISION

Overall, the experience has been neutral. I do have a good payroll account manager. However, Paychex does promote these positions very rapidly. It seems like any time I am assigned a knowledgeable payroll account manager, they are promoted. This leads me to have concerns regarding the consistency of reliable customer support.

Pros

I like the general ease of use that this software offers. I have had favorable experiences with my current payroll account manager.

Cons

There are often times glitches that can cause issues with payroll deductions. It is crucial to double and triple check your PRINTED COPY prior to submitting each payroll.

Debbie from Builder Designs Inc

Industry: Information Services

Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration

Survey software is not something that I usually recommend.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!

Cons

There is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".

Sarah from Go Play Golf

Industry: Information Services

A little Wonky to Navigate

Pros

It is convenient for small businesses and employees who work from home or don't have one check in location. It has some nice features for checking how many hours have been working if you are actually clocking in and out from the site itself. Once you actually figure things out and have your account set up, it's conveniently all right there in front of you to see what your sick time is, clock in/out, etc. It keeps all your info from your previous jobs that have used the site PLUS holds your tax info conveniently for you, which is quite handy.

Cons

It's pretty difficult to navigate. A lot of the site doesn't really explain where to go or what to do so you kind of just have to poke around it until you figure things out. I guess it's kind of typical for sites like this. It's also kind of nightmare to get your log in info if you lose it, so just don't. You get locked out after 3 tries and then have to call the help desk and it turns into a pretty complicated ordeal. Conveniently though, the site log in remembers your info though. There is a LOT of maintenance, constantly and when you get messages in your inbox, they never seem to go away, but that's just nit-picky stuff that's not really important.

Kenneth from Industrial Tube Corp

Industry: Mining & Metals

Paychex Flex review

Excellent experience deliver on their product have to be careful they raise prices after initial period check on them frequently

Pros

Payroll features and time management tools are easy to use and simple to implement. There is always a payroll specialist available when needed

Cons

Reports are sometimes difficult to generate to many options can be confusing to find exactly what you need without a payroll specialist

lower prices

To expensive

Peter from Peter Graham Marine

Industry: Fishery

A great asset to have when running and business.

Pros

The software itself allows me to eliminate the need for a time clock for my employees. They are able to have the app installed on their company issued smartphones and log in with their fingerprint access on the phone (which the app supports) and can clock into work in no time. They also have the availability to request time off, check vacation, sick and personal balances, view pay stubs and a ton of other features geared toward self help for the employee. This software saves me money so that I do not have to pay someone to sit and calculate all of the different times and payroll sheets. I would be lost without Paychex Flex.

Cons

The app can be a little slow at times. They also schedule down time on the overnight hours until 530am when most of our work does begin before that. It is a simple fix as I can enter staffs time manually when needed. You also need to trust your employees to punch in and out when they actually show up to a job site and not while driving home.

Matthew from La Gondola Providence, Inc.

Excellent company top to bottom

Pros

Paychex has been top-notch for over five years, when I switched to them from another payroll company. I operate a small seasonal business with about 10 employees, and from the beginning I have received all the support that I need for my payroll and tax responsibilities, and at a more reasonable rate than I was paying before. I deal with one single payroll specialist every week (unless she is on vacation or something), which I love, and if she is unavailable the fill-in specialists have been able to take care of my payroll, which is not quite standard, without any issues. The website took a little getting used to initially, but I download my reports from there every week, quarter, and year, and everything is easy to find and use. I couldn't recommend Paychex more highly, at least for any business such as mine.

Cons

If anything, I feel that it would be good to consider a website review and edit - I do not have anything specific to offer in terms of what to change, but it did seem a little confusing the first few times using it. I don't have any issues now, but admittedly I only log on to do the same thing (download the report) each week, quarter, and year.

ANTHONY from Fortiss, LLC

Industry: Gambling & Casinos

Great Software

overall you get more for your buck with Paychex than other software's like ADP or UltiPro (UKG)

Pros

You get one dedicated representative for all your payroll issues. Also, processing payroll is easier.

Cons

The standard reporting function does not allow you run custom reports. You need to pay for custom reports.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex we better and cheaper.

I have worked with Paychex for HR and Payroll purposes.

We were able to reduce storage of paper statements that were never picked up. We were able to increase employee morale by giving our employees the ability to see their own data and make time off requests on their own.

Pros

The user friendly approach within the Employee Online Access. We had employees that were afraid to go paperless with pay statements but with a little training everyone began utilizing the system. I liked the time and attendance module which allowed employees to see their own timesheets and administratiors to make corrections/update their staff timesheets and approve prior to payroll processing.

Cons

I disliked the fact that the payroll module didn't link directly with time and attendance, we had thought that what was done in time and attendance regarding time off balances would automatically feed to payroll and reflect on our employees pay statements. But we found out that we had to do adjustments in both windows to ensure it matched.

Savanah from GCM

Very good, much better than what we used to use which was ADP

Pros

It's very easy to use and find what you need. I love that I can toggle and clock in easily. I also love that everything is in one place. I like the extra security as well.

Cons

I don't like that the clock in and out moves so quickly. It can blank out and I'll need to refresh.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paycheck was easier for our growing company

Brandi from Boys & Girls Clubs of Mid Central Coast

Easy to Use

This was definitely a transition for staff but well worth it. All of the information available is awesome and it is very easy to use. Highly recommended.

Pros

This software is great. It is easy to clock in and out as well as find all of your necessary information including W-2 and salary information. Requesting vacation time as well and checking sick and vacation balances is all there at a click of a button. You can set up your area so even if staff if clocking in or out on their mobile phone, you know they were still actually at work.

Cons

We had some issues in the beginning with staff not being able to clock in and out but once you get all of the kinks worked out its great.

Adam from South Mountain Community Church

Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve

Pretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.

Pros

The customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.

Cons

It's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Someone in our company "heard" that Gusto wasn't good. Now I wish we could go back and pick Gusto because from what I've experienced it's 10x better than this.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We thought PayChex would be better. Turns out it was definitely not.

Aline from GMED NA

Industry: Medical Devices

One-stop shop, but not very customizable

Pros

It is very convenient to have access to the phone application, so you can access information and even run payroll from anytime / anywhere. The add-on Stratustime allows you to track the non-exempt employees' hours and feeds directly into the payroll system.

Cons

Entering one-off payroll data such as expense reimbursement or a medical insurance payback has to be done at the individual level through individual checks. it is difficult to customize access such as giving access to managers to accrue CTO days only, or giving them access to some HR info (number of vacation days, salary) without giving them access to all of it. Also, the marketing is a little aggressive, the company offers so many other side services (writing your employee handbook, offering 401k, etc) that they call you too often with too many proposals, often different people for the same products.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

The first time I chose Paychex, the reason was that they were very reactive and able to open and run payroll for me. I left because it was not extraordinary, and I had a very good package deal with my bank and Intuit. Then I went back to Paychex to be nice to the Rep who was giving me a 50% discount - not a very good idea, I regretted it. In the new company I work for, we have Paychex, and I find it very "heavy" to manage. We are considering switching systems but Intuit may be not be able to accommodate our short-term growth to 80-100 employees. The first system we will migrate away from will be Sage!

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

The pricing offered by Paychex with a 50% discount. In the end was not cheaper than intuit coupled with a bank of America account. I regretted the move.

Traci from Magnolia Veterinary Clinic

Industry: Veterinary

Great starter product for payroll!

I enjoy using Paychex Flex and think this is a starter business-friendly solution for your payroll. We started off using written check and then got thrown into Paychex flex and I was amazed. It is very easy to use for the basics of what you need and Paychex takes care of all the bells and whistles to your payroll in the background. I also that during the covid pandemic all the quick reports you needed for things like a PPP loan and PPP loan forgiveness were all ready to go for you. That was so helpful during this time of craziness!

Pros

Having everything in one space including payroll, HR and reporting is a fantastic concept. It's very easy to enter payroll for your administration and flex is a very self-guided program. I enjoy the fact if I need a report they are all right online and ready to go. Online support is also fantastic and 24/7!

Cons

I wish the HR side of the program was a little less glitchy. I know not all of my staff is included and all of our benefits are through Paychex so that is a disappointment because I feel like I am not getting the full experience with that. I also wish there was a way to chat directly with your payroll specialist from the app. There are things that they can only do and it would be more convenient to have this.

Don't bite off more than you can chew

We transferred over from Preview to Flex in March and have had some sort of issue (always a new problem) with running payroll from glitches, to inaccuracies in accruals due to incomplete data transfers to random errors like pay rates suddenly not being mapped to the proper pay components. Overall Paychex has great features and I love that our employees are offered the option to view their stubs and w-2s online and request time off but, I feel like they need to train their employees more on their updates and work out the kinks before they release updates because it causes a lot of unexpected error on the user end which cause a delay and inconvenisnce on our end.

Pros

I like that their Flex software is "live" and you no longer need to transmit hours as a file.

Cons

New features are released with glitches, representatives are NEVER available, it takes a lot of follow-up to get assistance and they pass you from representative to representative like a "hot potato".

Renae from Jackson | Main Architecture

Good Website

Pros

I do like how the website is laid out and how easy it is to run reports, set up new employees, and enter in payroll. In general the reps are helpful and you dont always have to talk to just your assigned rep to get answers.

Cons

When there is a tax problem, the only person you can talk to is your rep, who general doesn't know anything about taxes and can only pass the question onto the tax department. Once you ask the question, it can a few weeks before you even hear back from someone about the status of your questions. It gets put into a queue and you are not told if or when it will get answered. This is very frustrating when it comes to time sensitive tax issues.

Extremely User Friendly

Pros

As both a Paychex user and admin, I love how easy it is to navigate, you feel that your information is secure and if you experience an issue there is very short wait when calling customer services (typically no wait at all). When you first log into paychex, there are multiple security levels that one has to pass depending on your preference. Also, once you are in there is a dashboard with shortcuts to all the most used features. Paychex is constantly improving their software which is exciting. Our company is really enjoying the new live reports that update on a daily basis calculating everything from turnover rate, average headcount, and hired & termed totals.

Cons

We really enjoy using this software, there is nothing we dislike at the moment.

Makes Employee's Lives Way Easier

Easy to keep track of employees, vacation and benefits - all in one hub for employee information!

Pros

I can easily clock in and out of my Paychex account on any device - super convenient when on the road or working remote. I can also find my W2, tax and benefit information in one place which makes my life easier around tax refund season. I can easily punch in vacation time and forward it to my HR person.

Cons

Sometimes it doesn't register the clock in on the first try but selecting it twice will allow me to. The interface allows you to Break In and Clock out even if you never Clocked in which is odd, but HR can easily fix any mistakes.

Brad from Northland Family Care

This software implified my life

I recently upgraded to Paychex Flex from what I believe is called their "time and labor online" product. The most frustrating issue was the Paychex employees and implementation team used the same terminology for different products. (Implantation is complete, but still tweaking some options.) This time, attendance and payroll system will ultimately automate at least three manual processes:. PTO tracking for physicians, entering holiday hours for each employee and tracking points for our attendance policy (very time consuming). It's a very good solution for my clinic!

Pros

Transferring time and attendance to the payroll module is significantly easier compared to their other platforms. I review employees' timecards 1 - 3 times a week and find them very easy to read (again comparatively).

Cons

There is not a way to track and pay independent contractors on the exact version I use. Less obvious but frustrating is the required date format. For example, many sites I use can be 7/3/20. This site requires 07/03/2020. (A pet peeves of mine.)

Amy from Hopp Insurance

Times out too fast

Overall the decision to use a time tracking system has been a good one. There are a few things that could use improvement within the system such as the timing out when inactive for over 30 minutes and the request for time off options but on the whole I think its a good system.

Pros

I like the fact that the system will keep track of time, and that you can pull reports that show exact times.

Cons

The system times out too quickly, I think its 30 min. which is very inconvenient for employees as the system isn't very quick to get up and running again which means time spent just trying to clock-in or clock-out. I also don't care for the way the system tracks time off, it pulls from your 'bank' before its used so looking at your time off it can appear as though you are in the negative.

Iris from Golden Gate Sotheby's International Realty

Online Payroll Made Simple

This is an amazing platform you'll be proud to implement and your staff will be forever grateful. This was definitely made with the user in mind. If you are looking for a program to simplify your payroll process look no further.

Pros

I love that I can access the time clock and punch in from my phone! No more clocking in late or lost/unpaid time while you wait for your computer to boot up. Not only can you manage your time card but, you can even check on your 401k and manage your investments. Requesting time off is so simple too.

Cons

Hardly nothing! There are a few features that are only available/visible on the computer version that are not on the mobile version which is a bit of a hassle but, so minute in comparison to the many accessible features.

Gerson from Computer Software

An easy to use employee hub

As a user, the experience overall has been positive and being able to track all financials, and hours of work in one location without it lagging or being a pain to navigate is a big plus. While small hiccups here and there, it’s been a lot more good than bad.

Pros

Compared to other software I have used previously, it’s nice having a central location in which one can access important documents in terms of paychecks, direct deposits, and work time. Other important documents such as one's W-2s and retirement are also found here and aren't complicated to find, with using Paychex one of the biggest benefits is their user interface being pretty clean and does not provide a fluff and show's what one wants, a big plus for a worker.

Cons

There's not a lot of negatives I can say in terms of Paychex, as I have dealt mostly on one of the spectrum as an employee and not an administrator but I would say maybe they could eventually improve the ability to find the actual Paychex Flex website, maybe a direct link when searching it in Google and make it more clear on their regular website where to go to find Flex.

JOSHUA from Medic.Life

Industry: Biotechnology

New to the software. It works, but not always intuitively

I have only been using the software for a few weeks. So far, I have not wasted too much time figuring out what it does and doesn't do, however, when I need to do something specific, I have always been able to eventually navigate to the required functions

Pros

I am new to the software, but I like that it seems to have a lot of functionality that previous systems I have used do not. I can change my withholdings, view relative info about direct reports, track time spent on different projects etc.

Cons

The software is harder to navigate than my old software. This may be just a case of needing to get used to it, but it has taken me time to get used to where to log my hours, how to approve mine and other peoples time and so on. That being said, it does what it does well.

It was not my decision.

Love paychex but still some bugs to work out

I love having all of payroll/HR in one place, as do my coworkers. If it even displayed a warning that said "hey your internet is too spotty for entering time" that would save time and--most importantly--frustration.

Pros

I use paychex because I'm required as part of my contracting and in general I would say it works really well for what we use it for --tracking time worked and time off (including all PTO differentiated into sick, vacation etc) but it occasionally has bugs where someone will enter time in and it will not come through, I can even sit beside them and see them putting in their time. I think this has to do with stability of your internet connection. Just doesn't work as well if you're wifi's not really running strong.

Cons

Again, the only con is just that you have to be really well connected to the internet (way above an "average" connection) in order to make sure you don't have to enter your time again.

Sean from Worldwide Partners

Pretty good for the price

Overall this software definitely provided more capability than our old payroll processor, which is a win for us.

Pros

When we chose to implement this software we were looking for something that had more robust reporting and management of employees. This software definitely checks those boxes.

Cons

I find that sometimes Flex is not very intuitive to navigate, however, I only have to use this every couple weeks so I find it to be okay.

Joyce from Your6

The Biggest Rip Off in the HR Industry

Working with PayChex was absolutely the worst experience we have ever had with a vendor. They are great when trying to sign you up but once you do they are impossible to get any assistance. Even cancelling them was difficult because the Off-Boarding team was supposed to call me to help the process of migrating our payroll back and all the necessary steps. 3 Weeks after cancelling no one called and they had the audacity to not only try and bill us but add charges because they tried to pull from our bank for payroll and we cut them off. They have lots of fees that I don't understand how they can justify. Taxes were calculated differently 3 pay checks in a row, getting someone to return email was impossible and when you call you basically get a rep who happens to be the one to get your call, not your supposed HR Generalist, which was absolutely useless. I never criticize publicly about an organization but this one was so very unprofessional and even made worse by the outrageous fees they charge. I would think twice!

Pros

- Paid on time - Payroll documents easy to download - Have minimum 100 letters and I don't have anything really good to say, which is a first because I believe in positive reviews and have never posted a negative one.

Cons

- Tax documents not where their website tells you they are and when you call for help they direct you to the place where the documents are supposed to be but not? C - HR Generalist does not return calls or emails in a timely manner if at all. - Absorbent fees to use their platform (3 x payment of $1000) and another $500 per payroll period for 3 employees. This high price is supposed to be for dedicated HR Generalist, which is a joke. - Very attentive when pitching to you and then the disappear and its a huge organization that has zero communication between each other and departments.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Relationship with the sales person

David from Organomation

Industry: Medical Devices

It Does the Job but at a Costly Rate

I would not recommend Paychex as there must be better alternatives on the market. Their customer service is not great whether you are dealing with sales or a support department.

Pros

Paychex Flex is successful at providing a relatively smooth HR portal which includes time and attendance, payroll, retirement services (401K) and more general HR features.

Cons

The issue with Paychex is less about the product and more about their company. Paychex's convoluted billing is difficult for customers to understand and pricing can change quickly and erratically.

Paychex flex is so easy to use.

Everything you need is in the system and best of all accurate.

Pros

This software is so easy to use. It gives you tutorials if you get stumped on how to do something. It also has the capability to put all your reports in one place so when you need to run a report, it is all there waiting to be downloaded.

Cons

The only thing I really do not like with the system is that you have to go thru so many prompts to log in and then you have to have a specific code sent to your phone in order to get into the system. Needs to be a simpler way that allows the protection.

Kathleen from Pond Point Animal Hospital

Industry: Veterinary

Easy to use, didn't require training, pretty intuitive

Easy, consistent payroll service. Inter-department communication could use some work.

Pros

Payroll specialists are very good and on top of their game. Easy to use from anywhere, never down, easy to get reports any time, easy to add in deductions or bonuses, customizable in general.

Cons

If I make a mistake, then go back to fix it, for some reason twice now it would not take my edits and I had to call to fix it, really annoying, I hadn't submitted yet. Tax questions/DOL questions - you have to wait until they get back to you, no way to know when they will, who is working on it, etc. Every change needs to have an accompanying form sent in. Very annoying, So if I change it, I have to fill out a form, print it, sign it, scan it back and send it, for every little change. Change an address, form, change a rate of pay, form, change a bank account, form, someone leaves for 6 weeks medical, form out and form back - you get the drift.

Adam from US Space and Rocket Center

Easy for the End User

It made the mundane tasks of scheduling / approving time / correcting time / etc only take up half an hour at the end of each week.

Pros

Complete time management in one bundle. As an employee using the software, I could see my schedule / time off / and even access tax documents such as W2s online. As an administrator...setting schedules, correcting time punches, and seeing my workforce on any given day was a breeze.

Cons

The hardware associated with this software (we used biometric time clocks) were a pain to use at best and completely non-functional at best.

Marta from Zoom Video Communications, Inc.

Paychex Flex

Procured the total HRO package (payroll, 401k, FSA, Time & Attendance, HRIS, HR Compliance and HR Generalist). There is no HRIS compatibility with the Payroll system, one has to run separate reports. Anytime Paychex updates their website, links do not work to the other features and or issues occur. Example, PTO accrual stopped working properly so we had to start accruing PTO manually and users not properly redirected to their links in the Learning center. On the payroll side the support is a black hole. Specifically any state registrations that are not properly loaded by Paychex and result in state tax fees which do not get resolved without employer paying penalty. Numerous emails do not get acknowledged. The implementation process is juvenile and lacks complete project management scope. Overall communication and execution by Paychex is so poor, one finally stops being frustrated and simply begins search for better system, which we are doing.

Pros

Compliance. Nice to have employee handbook online and learning center for compliance training is also helpful. While Paychex payroll has strong workflow rules and meets general processing requirements, they make everything else so painful, therefore one could never recommend them. It would be like telling someone it's okay to cross a bridge that you know could collapse any moment and that you know is no longer maintained.

Cons

Assigned customer reps - unresponsive or not timely in responses until escalations. Paychex's lack of technology understanding - every time they upgrade they do not test what the impact to customer use and all their products. They had a big upgrade in late December 2015, their system was not accessible from early morning until the evening (end of year!). Multiple email and calls yielded no information. Finally at 4pm we get an email that they were experiencing problems and would be back live shortly. Who does that? While learning center is a nice to have, spent an hour giving feedback and nothing changed, e.g., the CA Manager Anti- Sexual harassment training is 2.5 hours all in one shot. Not standard for training needs - asked them to break into 4 modules so it would not be daunting to busy leaders....crickets.

Michelle from BFS Group SBS

Paychex Flex - Not So Flexible

I find Paychex Flex to be cumbersome compared to other payroll providers but it is a vast improvement over running payroll in-house. For a company making the transition to outsource payroll, it is probably a good option. For an accountant user with access to many programs, it is not the best choice.

Pros

I have used several different payroll systems for my clients and recently began working with a client who was already using Paychex Flex. While it had some benefits, I did not find it to be as robust as many other providers. The benefits are not unique as many providers offer info for the employees all in one place and online access to pay stubs. They do the payroll filings and remittances which is helpful.

Cons

The customer support is lacking both for employee users and admins as they are slow to reply. The reports are difficult to master as they are not as intuitive as those with other payroll providers. When the company is doing upgrades, the system will not save the data you input but they do not let you know that beforehand. You have to find out after you have input the info and it will not save. The time keeping function is klunky and does not allow you to approve "all" time reports at once.

Diana from J2Global

Industry: Online Media

Great Customer Service!

Overall Paychex has provided us with a great payroll solution. They have a really strong customer service team. I think it would be great if they could add interactive help for FAQs that wouldn't require calling or chatting them. Otherwise I had a really top notch experience with the product.

Pros

We used this at my previous company and it turned out to be a great solution for us since we had offices in different states. It helps us keep track of payroll laws in different states and remain compliant. I also felt that their customer service team was always really responsive and easy to deal with. As a user, it's really convenient for me to be able to access and print my pay statements from anywhere.

Cons

Our company had some issues when we were first implementing the software but now everything runs perfectly. The UI is a bit outdated.

James from JDUB Group, Inc.

Better than the competition, and it's secure

This system was preferred before switching to ADP, however their cost at the time resulted in us switching to ADP

Pros

I like the fact they require two factor authentication. Their customer service used to be good and is still decent compared to ADP. Their system can be fully customized for reports and coding purposes. Their reporting is much better than ADP

Cons

Their support has gone down hill in the last year in addition to their pricing is about 20% higher than ADP on most items. Lacks an employee portal standard on all plans

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,055 reviews