Payment Evolution

Payment Evolution Reviews

RATING:

• icon"I like that it integrates with TimeSheet and Xero. All our employees punch in TimeSheet, than we export the data to PaymentEvolution."
  • icon"Not having to pick up cheques and distribute paystubs is way more time effective and we feel like we have greater control over our company's payroll."
  • icon"Vendor payments are simple too. Integrations with accounting software make our lives easier: no manual journal entries."
  • icon"This also means if there is a holiday on a Friday, the employees pay ends up being 3 days late. They also charged me $60 because an employees bank account was unknowingly suspended."
  • icon"It's very difficult to rely on something as critical as payroll if they lock your account -while- you are upgrading."
  • icon"This technological error resulted in a substantial double withdrawal from the bank account. I also think it is a ripoff that it costs money any time you have to make a change."

All Payment Evolution Reviews

Time used: Free Trial

April 2015

I am very pleased with this product

After using a PC based software which was difficult to use and didn't report the way we needed, this is a dream! We had an accountant and Point of Sale system and just needed a payroll component. This really fit the bill and so far, is working beautifully. It's so automated and yet, there are many ways to customize it (for example, vacation pay calculations for your province). I haven't found a way that it will calculate stat pay though. Remittances were a breeze with this easy app. Each employee is sent the pay advice into their email or it can be printed for them. As one starts the payroll run, all the information is filled out: the pay period dates, the hours if the employees are paid the same every pay period (so just change it to the hours they actually worked), their pay rate, etc. Since it is cloud based, it can be run from anywhere around the world. I am very pleased with this product. I actually look forward to payroll now.

Pros

Easy to use. Product support was amazing for the couple of questions I have had. Cost effective at $17/month (no hidden add-on fees) Communicates payroll effectively with employee

Cons

I couldn't find a way to export employee information from my software to Payment Evolution, so had to enter it manually. With 10 employees it was fairly simple and just had to enter YTD amounts along with employee information.

Kyle

Biggest mistake was leaving Payment Evolution...but they took me back

Payment Evolution was my first experience with online payroll, and it beat the pants off Quickbooks! I halfed my payroll entry time, quartered my time spent on ROEs, and getting rid of cheque payments to staff while providing them with online record keeping all was good. Then came the price restructuring and I found myself one staff member into the higher tier, and the competition offered a 'we'll match PE and save you another 10%'. WORST thing I have ever done was leaving PE. 8 month of inflexible software, overly complex user interface, errors, painful online reporting for staff, & customer service nightmare! I am so glad Payment Evolution was willing to take me back. Completely the opposite experience: support that knows what they are doing, that proactively offers assistance in a timely manner, intuitive software that is simple enough that I can usually find the answers I need on my own. They have written code just for me. I can't say enough good things about them. My only pain (other than inconvenient for me pricing tiers) is that they haven't made their Business Payment service available to us Quickbooks offline folks yet. Yet.

Pros

Intuitive. Everything is simple and straightforward. I can figure out 90% of what I need to do myself, and in those 10% situations the support forum has descriptions detailed enough to get me back on track.

Cons

There is one text box that doesn't trigger when you press enter, instead you have to press the send button...grrrr...and its logout for inactivity is slightly too short for my liking.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Thanks for the feedback Kyle! We're really to happy to have you back and appreciate the feedback you've given us on pricing plans. QuickBooks (desktop) integration is available for payroll but not for business payments as you've pointed out. We're continuing to look at the business case for supporting QB desktop for business payments - it's a bit of a challenge given the offline nature of the product. - Kinga Jasek

Replied January 2018

Cal

Unnecessary fees / Long processing times

Honestly I wish there was another system I could use, but payment evolution will continue to get my money until something else comes along.

Pros

Processes payroll pretty easily and stat holidays are easily inputted. Saves a lot of time on T4's. Employees get their own log in portal so they go there instead of to me directly for pay stubs.

Cons

You only have a 1 day window to process your payroll so it comes out on the day you want. My pay period ends on Saturdays so I only have Sunday to do it for it to be deposited on Friday-Because it's an unnecessary 5 day processing time. This also means if there is a holiday on a Friday, the employees pay ends up being 3 days late. They also charged me $60 because an employees bank account was unknowingly suspended. Paying a pricey yearly fee and with having a large number of employees, this is not something that I should be charged for. I lost all trust in PE after this charge, especially when they only let me know AFTER I had processed another payroll for this employee so I actually got charged the fee TWICE- the employees pay wasn't even this amount before they charged me again. Super disappointed. Reports are a little over complicated as well. I create a custom report for payroll monthly and its usually missing weeks and makes life hard.

Reasons for choosing Payment Evolution

It was what my accountant used

Nancy

Industry: Architecture & Planning

Great Product and Service

We have been using the software for a few years and it is very easy to use. We appreciate the helpful emails with online seminars for generating T4's at year end. The customer support staff are very friendly and always so helpful.

Pros

It is an easy software to use for those just starting up a business. It also provides a lot different reports that are helpful.

Cons

I think the only con would be the section where you have to close off a month when generating payroll. It sometimes gets confusing and it splits out the source deduction amount by pay rather than month. We pay per month, so it would be beneficial to have the total of the 2 or 3 months deductions noted in one amount for submission.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Nancy! we are always looking for ways to better our product. Closing a period can get confusing and because everyone has a different way as to how they would like their period closed, we are working on a way that works for everyone. Thank you for your feedback!

Kelly

payment evolution

Pros

This software is a great way to prepare and keep track of all your year end and day to day payroll needs.

Cons

Can take a bit of time to learn how to properly use.

Tracy

Payroll Review

I have been using payment evolution for over 1 year. I find it user friendly and if I do have a question the customer service is fantastic. I love the webinars as well, I don't usually need them but the few I have joined were great!

Pros

very user friendly

Cons

sometimes things always as clear as they could be ex. the vacation pay, when paying everything out it puts a zero which when it is your first time doing that can be quite confusing.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Tracy! We are so happy to hear that you frequent our webinars and find them useful! We will definitely be looking for a way to make the vacation payout much more clear. thank you for the feedback!

Alexander

Very good decision for Payroll for small business.

No problem with Payroll (at all) + direct deposit + XERO integration.

Pros

Super Payroll software for small business firms. Free version for simple payroll till five (5) employee! Free XERO integration.

Cons

Really I don't know. May be it has some inconvenient things for difficult (complicated) Payroll, but for simple Payroll - it is great!

Ange

Makes running your payroll a breeze

We have recently transferred our payroll to Payment Evolution and it is a breeze to use. Once you have set up the basics (which is very easy to do) you are away. I am based in New Zealand so am not fully familiar with Canadian payroll legislation/benefits but the team at Payroll Evolution are extremely helpful and explained everything to me in plain English. The reporting is pretty good too and our employees have been blown away with PayChequer. I would definitely recommend this payroll system!

Pros

I love having control of our payroll PLUS it tracks vacation!

Cons

The reporting could be better - there are some reports that are only produced in .pdf format. All reports should be downloadable in Excel!

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Ange, We are so happy to hear that your employees have been blown away with our PayChequer services and that our payroll has been a breeze! Thank you for your feedback in regards to reporting as well. We will definitely be looking to improve them and make them more accessible.

Helina

Great Payroll App from an Awesome Company

Easy payroll runs.

Pros

Easy to set up and run payroll. The team is very open to feedback and making the product awesome for its users. Vendor payments are simple too. Integrations with accounting software make our lives easier: no manual journal entries!

Cons

Stat holiday pay is not handled in the app yet. The data table for entering the payroll hours, etc. for the pay period is clunky and needs to be flipped vertically.

Travis

Great product idea  needs serious design investment

It's great that you guys have this service, but to be honest, I feel very uncomfortable actually using it and sort of regret paying for a year (we haven't done a full payroll yet, despite nearly completing the process several times). The main issues for me are the overall user experience, buggy/sloppy interface, and confusing flow. It really feels like you don't care about the design of the interface, which reduces my trust in the system. Also some big functional oddities, like requiring separate accounts for the admin and their own employee account, is a huge pain. There's also little explanation of how the flow needs to work, and which info is required before you start the payroll process. And lastly, having to run payroll a few days in advance makes it awkward to get started if you're accustomed to doing it the day before which may be a bad habit on my part, but does prevent me from committing to PE. If I were you, I'd suggest investing in some great UX and UI design. It would really make all the difference in the world for us. It HAS to be better than our current method of running payroll (have our accountant help us with the proper deduction amounts and manually paying everything via our online banking) which actually isn't that bad. Even a tightening of the UI would go a long way. I have to be honest, I can't see us renewing again. I wish there was another alternative we could use in Canada, but unfortunately, we'll probably just stick to what we do now.

Pros

The actual function of running payroll and calculating deductions is a great and useful idea.

Cons

The design needs some serious polish and improvement. (not just the aesthetics, but the overall userflow, experience, etc)

Response from PaymentEvolution

Thank you Travis for your review. We are grateful that many of the features of our service benefit your business and have saved you time. Our goal is to ensure PaymentEvolution is one of the easiest and most robust services to automate your back office. We appreciate your candid remarks about the UI not being as intuitive for you and our team is looking at how to make the process even better. We'll be in touch shortly to get some specific recommendations from you. This and the requests we receive in our public help forums drive the development of our services. Again, thank you for your feedback - we love hearing how we can do better.

Stephen

March 2022

Deeply flawed, too many costly mistakes

It started great, but straight-forward mistakes that a competent system would catch have eclipsed any potential savings. Just get some decent software. Maybe this will work for you, maybe it wont, but you won't know until it's way too loate.

Pros

Easy to setup. Mostly friendly interface for the small business owner

Cons

Way too many hidden fees. We signed up for the free plan (not a trial), 6 months later that plan must have dissappeared because suddenly we were forced to upgrade to paid plan. I wouldn't have minded, but our account was suspended and I was unable to process payroll until we upgraded. There were issues with the KYC which meant I was unable to process payroll for several weeks. It's very difficult to rely on something as critical as payroll if they lock your account -while- you are upgrading. The software also failed to remit to Revenue Quebec for employees who don't get direct deposit. On weeks where only cash-based employees were working, PE charged us the for remitting & then sent a $0 RQ. This year I was pleased to find automated submission of year-end files to CRA & RQ. Unfortunately, PE generated an invalid XML file and so the submission to RQ failed. I would be happy to do the submission myself - I could hand-edit the xml file to be correct - but there is no way to download the files. Support would be great, but it's only for paid plan. This would be fine, if PE didn't charge you for every action at every step of the way already.

Response from PaymentEvolution

"Stephen T" - we encourage you to contact us directly with constructive feedback so we can continue to enhance our services for the community. "Gartner Digital Markets" / Capterra currently does not verify that reviews are from actual clients. All reviews on this site are subject to their "privacy" policy which encourages anonymous and potentially non-factual reviews. For verified reviews and honest feedback, please get in touch hi@paymentevolution.com

Replied March 2022

Use a different payroll software

Pros

They will remit your taxes for you if you pay for that option. In terms of use for running the payroll it is fairly easy.

Cons

I've had it with PE's program. My last straw was just pulled. I spent the last 2.5 hours entering T4A's manually thinking it was saving each one each time I hit save and it said it was saved. It didn't save any of them. This is stacked on the fact that their software had a glitch and showed bills weren't paid when the payment actually did go through the first time. This technological error resulted in a substantial double withdrawal from the bank account. I also think it is a ripoff that it costs money any time you have to make a change. With other payroll software where the Bookkeeper is in charge you can amend and delete things without it costing $30-$100 each adjustment. Overall, I think there are way better options out there, and I know because I have used them. Just having 2.5 hours of my work go down the drain when I still had another 3 to go is my final straw. I will be using other software for clients going forward. I had come to this conclusion years ago, but was forced to use it again when a client had already been signed up with PE.

Tina

Excellent software and great customer service

I have had an excellent experience using Payment Evolution for the last year for our companies payroll. The system is beyond easy to use. They are always offering webinars to help with common questions or issues. Their customer service is absolutely amazing. They are fast and I have never had an issue they couldn't help me resolve.

Pros

Easy to use Great resources on site to help with problems or issues Great customer Service

Cons

Reports are not the easiest to interpret and some critical reports are not offered

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Tina, Thank you for the kind words. We are happy to hear that PaymentEvolution has been helping you with your payroll! Thank you also for your feedback. We will definitely be looking into ways to make our reports more accessible to our clients.

Tina

Payroll Made Easy!

Our business has used Payment Evolution as our payroll provider for over a year now. We love the platform because it is so sophisticated yet easy to use - we save time, money and appreciate how simple it is to pay our employees!

Pros

I like the look, cost, customer support

Cons

Wish the reporting function was more detailed. Looking through pay stubs needs to be updated - there should be a drop down menu instead of a click to go to the next employee

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi Tina, We are happy to hear that you love our platform and that we are saving you both time and money! Thank you as well for the feedback that you have provided. We will definitely be looking into our reporting to help make accessing payslips much easier. Look forward to working with you!

DeeDee

Industry: Fund-Raising

Easy Payroll

Thank God for Payment Evolution. It has made our payroll and T4 time much more effective. Our payroll takes about 1/2 the time. Every support email has been addressed quickly. I have always been satisfied with this system.

Pros

How easy it is to do payroll.

Response from PaymentEvolution

Hi DeeDee Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that we helped cut your payroll time in half! We hope business is going well and look forward to continue to work with you.

Aly