Browse Payroll Relief Reviews

Love this software

It has made the end of the year a delight. Before it was very hard but with this software it is a breeze

Pros

It is put together so that it is easy to use and if you need any help they are just a phone call away

Cons

It doesn't keep ALL years active so that you can look back in them. It only leaves two.

It is so much better

Bessy from Gurian Tax & Business Services

Payroll Processing Done Fast ad Easy

We like the software. We use all of the products AW offers. We just don't like their customer service. We compromise because for a small business it's a good choice.

Pros

My favorite things about this software are: 1) Payroll processing for companies under 10 employees takes less than 2 minutes to process 2) You can print, email and archive check copies and reports in a few clicks 3) Clients can so as much or as little as they want 4) It's fairly inexpensive

Cons

My issue with Payroll Relief and all of the Accountants World software is the customer service. When things don't work and it's because they're having issues, you won't know until you call in. They don't bother informing their customers. We've been with them for over 10 years and while they offer new products or services, when you have an issue, they're very slow to respond or take responsibility.

Reasons for Choosing Payroll Relief

TR was VERY expensive and the modules weren't integrated. On AW I can archive my files to Cloud Cabinet (the AW document management app) directly from Payroll Relief.

Reasons for Switching to Payroll Relief

Cloud based, many more features, much less work

ELLEN from Lee Pennington CPA

Too many errors

Although the company seemed to know what they were doing years ago, things have drastically gone downhill. No one would ever turn off automatic tax payments and quarterly reporting for half of their payroll clients at the end of a tax year ever! I feel like their customer service motto was "Blame the customer!"

Pros

Originally, it was an easy added feature to the accounting software we were using. It made for a great all in one system. It was easy for us to switch to payroll from accounting and vice versa. It pulled payroll journals directly over without us having to enter in any information.

Cons

The worst problem we had with payroll relief was when the company decided to turn off automatic tax payments and report processing on a random number of our clients. Once the situation was recognized, clearly things were already late as they send things in on the final due date. As it didn't stop filing and tax payments on all, just most, we had to figure out which ones needed attention and then get with each of the taxing agencies over the next 6 months to get the penalties removed. It was a nightmare. We were simply told by support that we had to have manually cancelled the payments and quarterly filings ourselves and they would not assist us further. Also, the payroll journals did not leave any space for editing them. It was not often when they needed to be changed but it causes issues on financial statements when the client's bank account was cancelled due to fraud the day before running payroll. The payroll journal posted to the wrong bank account and customer support was not too interested in helping. These are just two examples of headaches we faced with Payroll Relief.

Payrolls

Pros

Great to use

Cons

Just a little complicated but still can be understood if tried

Jenna from KMJ Tax

It is a great easy payroll software

Pros

I like that you can efile tax forms for quarterlys no more printing off. Also, I like that it can intergrade with Accountants world.

Cons

I don't like how customer service has no clue to what is always going on.

Reasons for Choosing Payroll Relief

It was cheaper at the moment for all the payrolls processed

Debbie from MasterPay USA

Decent Balance of Features and Price

It is the backbone that our business is built on. Several years ago we attempted to transition to a more robust platform (Evolution) which was a disaster, so we came back and have learned to live within the restrictions of their system. While there have been many enhancements in the 11 years we have been using the product, the developer does a poor job of rolling them out. Doesn't seem to be any beta testing and users and support personnel are often left to fumble through. While they maintain a user forum, management is typically not very inclined to respond to complaints or implement suggestions. While there is no perfect system, overall I would probably give them a rating of about 65%.

Pros

This software was priced within reach for our startup and allowed up to ramp-up quickly. As we've grown, their tiered pricing has allowed us to increase our margins. It's easy to demo to prospects and overall impression from our clients is that is is easy to use. Integrated ACH services are a critical differentiator.

Cons

There are significant limitations in reporting and HRIS capabilities. As we continue to reach upmarket to larger, more complex clients, we have been forced to cobble together several different solutions to meet their needs, since these extended features are not available.

Kathi from Sierra Business Svcs

Stay away.

If the software did what it says, it would be amazing. Please, if you are considering this software, read through the facebook users group to see what is really happening. Also, if you can, try this with ONE company and then once you have access to the website, read through the help forum! In my short (less than one year) experience, I had several clients' returns, set to "auto e-file" not be filed (when they had the previous quarter.) No explanation from support. Tax payments were made late, penalties assessed, and no help from support. Software updates create havoc. Features removed without notice. Additional fees assessed mid-year without notice. I really, really wanted this to work. It ended up costing me over $2000 and countless hours (and it's not over yet.)

Pros

The claims. If it did what it said it would, it would save me time and money.

Cons

Pay stubs cannot be emailed to employees (unless you want to download one by one and email yourself.) Tax payments and returns set to "auto e-file" may or may not be processed on time.

Reasons for Choosing Payroll Relief

Pricing, and belief in the sales pitch.

Reasons for Switching to Payroll Relief

The sales pitch was great. I would be able to process more payrolls, have the tax payments and return filing automated, and it would all be in the cloud. There would be no additional fees for direct deposit. It was supposed to be a win win all around.

Larry from Allied Employer Services, Inc.

Excellent Program for Small Business Users

Our business has confidently relied on Payroll Relief to power our payroll business for 10 years. Going forward we know that we can always count on Payroll Relief to adapt and be ahead of the curve of the continually changing compliance landscape.

Pros

Payroll Relief has been able to maintain a balance between providing an affordable software option for small business users without sacrificing the robust, powerful features of the software.

Cons

The process to setup a new client can be a challenge to navigate.

Linda from MissionFirst Accounting, P.C.

Used to be better

They don't listen to users when they want to make changes. They had a really good product a couple of years ago, but I no longer recommend it. I have lost confidence in the management team and the future path for this software.

Pros

What I love most are the reports. In the past, I liked that it was solid, reliable, pretty much error-free software.

Cons

In the summer of 2019, they did a major software update that is still causing big problems a year later. They are not necessarily quick to fix the problems and they are never proactive in notifying users of problems.

Reasons for Switching to Payroll Relief

I wanted an updated product. Payroll Relief did provide that for awhile but not anymore.

Brian from Dougall Conradie LLC

Not the product I thought I bought

Not good...

Pros

Software is easy to use and doesn't take much time to figure out.

Cons

Cannot file electronically for my state. Calculates multiple state tax items incorrectly. Does not allow you to customize or make changes to calculate correctly. Tax liabilities do not flow to Form 941 or State Form. Local taxes do not feed over to forms. Some local taxes populate the wrong area of the form. Every single quarterly report must be printed to PDF so we can modify, update, over-write and correct wrong data. It has added hours of labor for my PR staff to complete our clients quarterly reporting. Looking forward to moving away from this product.

Reasons for Choosing Payroll Relief

Pricing and was assured this was a rock-solid payroll system.

Reasons for Switching to Payroll Relief

I thought this would be a better, easier product to use and give us stronger more accurate reporting.

Sheena from Precise Tax & Accounting

Great Payroll Software

Overall I have really enjoyed payroll relief. We have a client who still has me process her quarterly reports in quick books and every time after I do it, I am so thankful for Payroll Relief, the ease to just set up a payroll and process is so worth it, filing reports is so easy, and anytime I have had an issue support has always been really helpful. They have on going training and webinars you can go back and watch and training videos. They have links to forms you need from all the states. Just overall we have been happy with they product and how efficient it has been. Every product will have issues from time to time but so far this is the best one we have used.

Pros

This software is so easy to use!! initally getting started and figuring out where things are takes a minute but once you get it down it is so simple and just couple of clicks and you can process a payroll.

Cons

I would like to individualize a few reports more but they are constantly looking at that and trying to add and improve. They did have a feature that let you add time in by each employee and with an update the feature was removed. I would like that option back, but overall any issue I have or anything I think I can't do I am usually able to talk to support and find a way to do it.

Reasons for Switching to Payroll Relief

Just the ease and simplicity of running payroll and form filing

John from SwiftChecks

Reliable Payroll Software

Pros

Payroll Relief is a tried-and-true web-based payroll system. I like the system's batch processing capabilities and tax payment automation. The company continues to build time saving features into the platform. Overall the software is easy to use and my team is able to customize each account to meet the specific needs of our clients.

Cons

The system has two vertical navigation bars. Both contain links to screens that are used quite often. Employee screens and payroll reports are accessible from the right navigation bar while payroll processing screens, and tax forms are accessible from the left navigation bar. I would prefer all of these screens to be accessible from the left navigation bar.

Jennifer from Assured Tax & Accounting

Bait and switch

Again, I am here to let every other accounting firm know that they will show you the bells and whistles when they first try to sell you. But once you are in, the amount of programming you have to do since this is not at all an intuitive system blows our minds. Don’t just walk away from this huge nightmare.... Run. And run fast. I wish someone could have warned us before we made the switch. Now we are stuck for the next year. If you move forward with this company you will lose sleep and the problems they create for you, with your clients will be the bane of your existence.

Pros

The development and continued upkeep of this program keeps me from liking anything. They do not even come close to comparing to other software programs out there. This program is NOT current at all in the sense that they offer relevant items applicable to payroll.

Cons

There are so many things I absolutely abhor. You have to know and develop Java script in the system just so it tracks vacation for employees. It doesn’t know how (at all) to show employer paid health insurance on paystubs. The program glitched last week with a major data breech. Each client’s payroll downloaded paystubs from other companies. Their tech support responded with “we are aware of the problem” really? What does that mean!?!? They don’t allow you to put in health insurance for a S Corp shareholder. They act like it isn’t a big deal but these issues are huge considering their competition delivers and actually listens to their clients. This company can care less and they are only interested in taking your money and treating you poorly after you pay. No accounting firm can handle the problems of this company. In fact, it is known amongst the accounting world that payroll relief is a huge joke.

Reasons for Switching to Payroll Relief

I thought they would be better.

Jim from The Koenig Group, LLC

A fully automated simple to use system that makes you look like a large payroll provider

The benefit of being able to offer payroll directly to my clients which not only creates a new profit center, but also allows me to post directly into the accounting software.

Pros

A fully automated system that I can run remotely from my iPad if needed. Once payroll is finalized, nothing more to do. Direct deposits generated, tax payments scheduled, third party check/ACH payments done, reports emails to client, and complete quarterly & annual form filing.....all done for me. 24/7 access from wherever you have an internet connection. Client and employee email and text notifications

Cons

The need for a cross year detailed earnings report. The inability to work with some smaller local banks

Tim from W-2 Accounting Service, Inc.

Very Good

The benefits allow the small accounting and payroll firm to compete with ADP and the larger firms. We can offer similar service at a reasonable cost.

Pros

The program is efficient and easy to use. The program is powerful and allows our company to offer a broader base of service than other programs available to small accounting and payroll firms.

Cons

The cost of the program cuts into our profits and limits us to a small extent. The lead time on direct deposits are very tight. For a Friday payroll, the payroll must be processed by 8 pm on Tuesday. It would be nice to have until 8 pm on Wednesday.

KEN from CROWDER ACCOUNTING LLC

It will cost you customers

I went through a lot to convert clients from Quickbooks payroll to Payroll relief. Once we had everything working and everyone trained, Payroll relief did an update that completely changed the way it operated. Without warning or prior training. I have tried to work through their problems because I do not want to convert all of my clients again, but I think I am going to have to find another program.

Pros

It has several good function when they work.

Cons

It is really hard to get a customer account working like it should. A year an a half ago I filed BBB complaint and they never answered it. Tech support is very hard to get, but just OK when they help you.

Reasons for Choosing Payroll Relief

It looked like payroll relief would do a lot for my clients and function easily. It has failed.

Errors with QuickBooks.

James from The Koenig Group

A fully automated system that pretty much runs itself

New profit center and integration with accounting system

Pros

Fully automated, all functionality included system that allows an accounting firm look like a professional payroll company and providing all the functionality, and more

Cons

Needs 3 days to process direct deposits. If a client had an NSF then all automated tax payments are turned off and you must make all ACH payments manually

Olivia from Moss, Luse & Womble, LLC

Payroll Review

So far so good! Customer service is great. The system isn't super user friendly so a website update would be nice. I also wish more states were connected for electronic tax payments and filings.

Pros

Automatic tax payments and the customer service.

Cons

It isn't super user friendly, where to find things is not really obvious.

Less Expensive

Reasons for Switching to Payroll Relief

They were inconsistent and caused glitches that would affect the client.

Mike from My Best Friend's Inn LLC

Best payroll software I have used

Except for the training video on the upgrade, it is wonderful.

Pros

Easy to use, web based so I can get to it anywhere, intuitive.

Cons

I don't like the software update training video. It jumps between accounting and payroll that does not allow a smooth transition between features of the payroll. It presents a few steps in payroll then jumps to accounting without completing the payroll process.

Maria from M A Cowin CPA PC

Payroll Relieft

Obtaining more accurate data from clients.

Pros

Ease of use. Allows access to clients info and allows us to control what they can do. Also, access from any where.

Cons

When contacting support I do not always get a direct answer even when I list my email and phone number. Most go to owner and I have to wait until he forwards to me.

Steve from Steven Brewer & Company, CPAs, PC

Wonderful! Allows us to offer payroll on a level that we could not before.

Ease of use. Timely updating. Quick processing of payrolls.

Pros

Ease of use. Access to all states for processing. Integration with Accounting Power is great! Payrolls are simple and easy to run.

Cons

Lacking in reporting to local tax authorities and various state unemployment agencies. Setup is time consuming.

Gregg from OMNNI Associates, Inc.

Industry: Civil Engineering

Unable to fix their own issues...

Works for most employees, but have 1 employee who can't login to the web app. Not on their phone or someone elses. Have verified that the all the information is correct, but can't get in. Payroll Relief has no ideas why. I haven't seen the web portal fail for any employees though, so there's still that going for it.

Pros

* Does Payroll * Web interface * Phone App (when you can log into it)

Cons

* Phone App doesn't remember an of the user information, even though they have a remember user switch on the login screen * None existent customer support

Meredith from Denman, Hamilton, & Associates

Software conversion nightmare

Pros

I'm trying to think of a "pro." None come to mind.

Cons

Converting from Accounting CS to Payroll Relief has been an absolute nightmare, and we're still having problems getting the system to pull taxes. Customer Service has been of little help, and they are sometimes not responsive, at all. When addressed with the sales rep who convinced us to convert, we were told they were very busy with other clients, so it might take a while for them to get back to us. Not happy, at all.

Jeffrey from Small Business Accounting & Tax LLC

Great payroll software with lots of automation

Pros

I love all the automation with the payroll taxes. Almost all of the taxes are taken care of monthly, quarterly, and annually without me having to do anything extra.

Cons

It can take a while to learn everything about it, and the search feature often doesn't help me find what I need.

Cydni Nicole from RGB Eye Associates

Very user friendly!

Pros

The practice I work for uses this software for our payroll. I log in to my employee portal about twice a month to look at my check stubs, view my remaining PTO, ets. It is very easy to navigate the employee portal!

Cons

I have been a user of the employee portal for over 5 years now and I have never had any issues with this aspect of the software!

Debra from Findlay CPA

They are not responsive and the software appears to be unstable.

I am completely unsatisfied, they are horrible!

Pros

It appeared to be fairly easy to use, but pray you don't run into an issue. Because you will get no help, waiting 6 weeks for a resolution on various issues getting the same garbage from different people, who then promised to call back. And forget trying to escalate your complaint, the higher ups simply cant be bothered.

Cons

It seems unstable and no one there seems to know how to fix it.

NATALIE from lopez padial levi

Payroll relief

Overall i would recommend this to companies with more than 100 employees.

Pros

What i like most about this software is how easy it is to set up employee info. We recommend to clients with many employees, to streamline the accounting process.

Cons

What I dislike about this software is that they do not provide any in person training and some clients prefer a more hands on approach.

Marc from Copper Canyon Tax and Accounting Services

Stay away

I have tried payroll relief twice, both times a disaster. This go around I have experienced incorrect calculation of social security and medicare tax ( different amount from employer to employee, off by more than $10 so not a rounding issue), no one at customer service can tell me why. No one at customer service can tell me how to input personal use of a company car. No one at customer service can tell me why the software won't calculate company match for a SIMPLE plan. And out of the blue it paid a tax deposit that was already paid. This payment is/was marked as paid manually in April and three months later it processed the payment which resulted in an overdraft fee.

Pros

I was attracted by the price and the ability to run unlimited payroll

Cons

Functionality is a train wreck but customer service is simply non existent with this company. Hope you never have a question. Help database hasn't been updated in quite a while and none of the screenshots match the actual software.