• Pros

• "Small improvements has a really intuitive interface, and is incredibly easy to use. I like that we can see everyone's goals, company wide. Great tool for transparency."

• "This software is straightforward and easy for every level of user. It has helped capture performance review data in an easily customizable form. "

• "It's easy and intuitive to log in, see what the platform is about, and navigate the software. Not much of a training was needed to get started."

• Cons

• "While it's an interesting tool to use, I'm not sure that it's something that we truly need in our arsenal. If I had to cut our tools budget, SI might not make the cut. "

• "the design is not attractive at all: too much text (using too many different fonts), very little design, charts colors (no data visualization at all)"

• "Pretty simple software, no cons I can think of. "

Browse Small Improvements Reviews

Bailey from The Association of Child Life Professionals, Inc.

Easy to use for small offices with limited HR capacity

This seems like a really nice and innovative company. They provided us with a nonprofit license and it is so greatly appreciated!

Pros

I got our annual review process out to everyone within minutes. It's all online and there's no paperwork to deal with until you print the very final version and put them in the folders. The other neat thing is the "Praise" feature. Although I would like greater participation, I have it synched with Slack so that staff can put in almost no effort to praise their colleagues in such a way that it's recorded to their personnel files. That's awesome.

Cons

Some staff members haven't really adopted this for real use to check in on goals. I don't see it as a major issue with the software, but it might reflect on its usability.

February 2016

Marc

February 2016

Good Little App

I use Small Improvements to manage the objectives of my software development team. I use the Objectives and Key Results (OKR) method, which works pretty well with Small Improvements. I just list the key results in the description of the objective. The comments can then reference one of the key results. Originally we set the objectives semesterly, and they got lost amid the day-to-day work we do. We then changed to quarterly objectives, and that works much better. I work together with my employees to set the objectives, and they know pretty well what they need to accomplish throughout the quarter. It is important that the tool sends out emails to remind people of their objectives. I can really see how employees are working on the objectives throughout the quarter.

Pros

- Manager and employee can continuously add comments to an objective to document milestones achieved, praises given, or changes in the objectives. At the end of the quarter I just read through them to come of with a rating for the objective - Daily digest to employees shows them when comments are added to objectives, and reminds them to log in to the system and keep a running update on their objectives - Performance reviews are done in writing by both employee and manager. Only after both parties see each others review we meet in person to discuss. This gives both parties the chance to think about the review of the other party, which leads to a fruitful discussion.

Cons

- User interface is sometimes a bit confusing. There are multiple views of the objectives, and you can do different things in each. Since the tool doesn't get used every day I often find myself trying to remember where I can e.g. set the rating on an objective. - The tool offers a number of configurations, but it doesn't really guide you on a best practice of how to set and track objectives. I would love the tool to have a wizard to set up e.g. OKR that explains how to map that to the tool.

justin from Ailo

Like the idea - hard to implement

It's one that has helped us in a direction but are ultimately moving away from it.

Pros

The idea of tracking 1:1 conversations and results from 360 degree reviews is good and the sharability is very serviceable.

Cons

Found it a bit cumbersome to navigate and to identify areas where feedback is required. Also the voluntary 'kudos' thing fell a bit flat.

Brianna from Deliverr

Small Improvements is easy to use

We didn't have a system in place for annual reviews or feedback before Small Improvements, it was very informal. Small Improvements allowed for us to easily implement a process to give constructive feedback through an organized platform.

Pros

I enjoyed that Small Improvements allowed both you and your direct report to leave comments on the same topics that were up for review. It allowed us to both take a look at what we thought were the best performance and what we thought were area for improvement

Cons

We are new to this program so have only had one feedback session. I would like to see feedbacks YOY to see how the individual has grown and implemented the feedback.

Works well, but unsure if it's truly helpful

Overall, small improvements has been with our company for over 2 years, and it is used widely. It's a key tool in keeping track of our company, departmental, and individual goals. Overall, we have a positive experience with it, but I'm not sure if it's fully worth the cost.

Great Software For Performance Reviews

I use this software for my semi-annual performance reviews and also to give kudos to the team for the great work they are doing. Very elegant and simple, never had any issues while using this software.

Pros

It's a great cloud-based solution for appreciating our colleague's work, thank them how much it meant for us and also to build a culture of motivation.

Cons

UI Design of the application can be improved better.

Ryan from Digital Pharmacist

Intuitive interface but a little pricey

Pros

I love how intuitive the interface is. When we bring in a new hire, we don't have to help them get started with Small Improvements. It is easy for managers to note milestones and overall I think it is a very good tool for goal tracking.

Cons

The cost is fine for a tiny company, but it is pricey for a medium sized company.

Concise and Easy to Use

Reviewing colleagues and ensuring everyone is on the same page and improving

Pros

I like how easy this software is to use and how you can answer free form. I also like how easy it is to compare what you wrote with what your manager/employee wrote. Very helpful to make sure everyone is on the same page and where you differ.

Cons

I do wish there were some more format options that could be used or, if there are, maybe better tutorials on how to use and implement those.

Pointless

It was just okay. I don't think my team really loves the site. It feels more like homework than goal setting and tracking.

Pros

I liked the idea of this software. We wanted our team to set goals & be able to track them throughout the year.

Cons

I definitely did not like the review feature of this product. It was clunky & as the admin, I would have to jump through hoops to extended the cycle dates.

Stephanie from Skilljar

Good performance review tool

Pros

Cons

Pretty simple software, no cons I can think of.

November 2015

Meike from Turtle Entertainment GmbH

November 2015

A new Game at Turtle Entertainment!

Pros

The start for our company into Small Improvements Review System couldn’t be easier. The explanations on the website for employees, manager and as well for me as an HR user couldn’t be easier understandable. After set up off all user accounts and introducing the tool to our team, they direct way started to work with it. Some small corrections by awesome quick help of the really kind consultants of Small Improvements, gave us the possibility to complete a review of 2012 for the whole company within two month. All employees embraced the system with a positive feedback. I am brim with enthusiasm for the Tool and look forward to work with it in the upcoming successful years at Turtle Entertainment.

Cons

With its easily understandable user face, quick help of the consultants and permanent changeable manager and user accounts Small Improvements fits perfectly for Turtle Entertainments Review System as well as for setting up our employees Objectives, which we are working currently on.

Very user-friendly performance review system

Pros

Small Improvements is an easy-to-use performance review system that allows a collaborative review between the employee and supervisor. I love that you're able to let the employee self evaluate their own performance and compare against the manager's notes. The program allows for open dialogue on improvements for the future. The signing of reviews is an easy process.

Cons

Writing out answers to each section takes a decent amount of time to complete. Probably could provide some additional functionality in ratings outside of essay responses.

Really initiative

I like their customer service. They've always responded in a timely manner. There might be a line, but I've never been able to reach anyone.

Pros

There's lot of different performance review softwares out there but Small Improvement gets the job done. You can do peer 360's, self review, and manager reviews. I really like that you can set a timeline for what works for you and send out notifications as you please.

Cons

I wish that they had an anonymous feedback feature. While it states that they do have this feature, the anonymous feedback gets sent from one person to the other without notifying either managers or the HR admins, which could be problematic in case you want to monitor the feedback, or make sure that it's actionable and not hurtful.

Kelly from VLACS

Our company uses Small Improvements for Employee Reviews and so much more!

Pros

Small Improvements is a fantastic way for our company to recognize employees/co-workers for their great work and achievements. We also use it for our annual employee reviews, allowing all employees to take part in their review process.

Cons

When you've left feedback for an employe/co-worker you're not always notified when someone replies to it.

Response from Small Improvements

Replied November 2017

Thanks so much for the kind words Kelly! :) For anyone interested in more detail, here's the VLACS case study on our website: https://www.small-improvements.com/case-studies/vlacs/

Nice options, easy to use.

As an end user, I've only used it a few times, but it seems like a solid product.

Pros

As an end user, Small Improvements is really easy to use. My company only uses it for annual reviews, but it could be used even more regularly to track goals and projects throughout the year. I also like the option to add badges.

Max from MyXplor

Good goal setting and tracking software

Pros

Very easy to use and works well on all my devices; they do a good job with recognition and a good effort with design. Just set it up and it's on its own after.

Cons

Not the best value for what it is, but our team doesn't want to spend time in more spreadsheets or docs for goals. Not many other options out there.

Great performance tool!

Pros

I think Small Improvements is extremely easy to implement and roll out to staff. I took me a very short time to get it up and running which is great.

Cons

Sometimes the customer service isn't the best, in the beginning they weren't very responsive but recently they have been great.

August 2015

Yiğit

August 2015

Louis from Discogs

Industry: Music

Solid new HR Tool

It has been a smooth implementation so far, with immediate positives from the off, with most importantly the tracking and recording of talking points in meetings and great integration with Google Calendar.

Pros

It has only been a short time but the way it adds suggestions to meetings and allows you to track talking points is a big win for me and my team.

Cons

The tool has only been in use for a few months so far and at the moment I have nothing I can point out.

Robin from D0Q - Virtual Learning Academy Charter School

Nice options for sharing praise

Pros

We use this software for our reviews at work. It is easy to use and easy to share praise with co-workers.

Well-organized performance review system

organization and reminders!

Pros

Very cute graphics and helpful reminders about deadlines for nominating reviewers. While I'm not a huge fan of my company's newer, more rigorous performance review cycle, this makes organizing it a lot easier.

Cons

The prompts for reviews seem pretty vagues. I wish there was a way for HR/People Ops to tailor the prompts to be more specific/relevant to our company and our quarter/year half goals

Chris from Summit Benefits Solution

Affordable and customizable

Our company reviewed and tried out a lot of different systems before we found the right solution for us. This one seemed promising because it was integrated with our HRIS. Our HRIS is extremely easy to use and intuitive. The integration that they built looked really well as well. It was just under our personal tab. It made it look like it was one system.

Pros

We liked how it integrated with our HRIS. You could customize a lot of the questions. It's completely automated which can save you tons of time.

Cons

The con for us was that it didn't really align with what we were trying to accomplish with performance reviews. We ended up using it for a few months and going with a different provider.

It's been okay.

Pros

The aesthetic is nice, and using/sharing the 9-box grid with people your managing works well for peer reviews.

Cons

It's easy to get disorganized or not easily find reviews you've been in for other people. Could link to reviews you're in the day of for easy access.

Feriel from Phase-6

decent feedback tool

Pros

can be used for both personal, individual or group assessment, as well as for exchanging feedback with other colleagues, or your direct boss. reminds you to set clear objectives, organize 1:1 meetings and write assessments regularly

Cons

Great tool for performance management

Pros

SI helps me keep track of my 1:1 meetings, I also love being able to give praise to my colleagues when I feel they've exceeded expectations. It is very intuitive and easy to use as well.

Cons

No cons that I can think of, I actually really like it.

Chris from Command Alkon

Great centric location for self-evaluation.

Pros

The set up for this app is simple yet has everything needed. It is very easy to use, and you don't have to dig to find your objectives, scheduled one v. one, etc. It is all on the sidebar a click away! Praising others for their achievements is just as easy too, and because it is easy, it makes it more frequent.

Cons

The product really is superb in its simplicity, which is a defining feature. At times a touch more of customization would be ideal, but overall the app is superb and grants the user everything they could desire for self-improvement and career flow/progression/monitoring.

Alaeddine from Helpling

Industry: Facilities Services

decent feedback tool

Pros

the reminders of feedback cycles - the nomination of reviewers

Cons

very basic design (grey background) - very little features

Pros & Cons of Small Improvements

Pros

Highlights of praise given to other co-workers. Simplicity of interface. Timeline and due dates shown are great.

Cons

Difficult to know what I'm required to do sometimes and how others approve it. Not what I'm used to.

Easy to use, but not groundbreaking

Pros

Cons

It seems to be limited by how much the team uses the software, and without the entire teams buy-in, it doesn't add much value to the organization.