Browse TheraNest Reviews

Melissa from Christian Teen Therapy Online

Industry: Mental Health Care

All-in-one platform that's perfect for my small private practice!

My business is very part-time on the side, and I didn't have time or resources for some of the other options that are on the market. TheraNest gave me everything I needed to run my practice easily, efficiently, and professionally.

Pros

It's simple to use and has everything you need to make your small private practice run. The customer support is AMAZING! I've never had a question or concern that wasn't quickly resolved by their great team.

Cons

I would like to see the TeleHealth screen be bigger. This is a work in progress since this is a newly added feature.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

TheraNest is the one stop shop that does it all in a super user-friendly fashion. Simple, affordable - exactly what we needed!

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2019

Melissa we are so glad to hear that TheraNest is making a difference for your business! We can't wait to see how your business grows!

Micheal Frances from Revolution Psychotherapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Theranest lies about their customer service

From time to time, I was able to break through to their "upper management" and was told they really care about me and my clients and my ability to deliver therapy to those in need. This too turned out to be a falsity. The decision to cut me out was born of my holding them to their word about live customer service. I have requested to speak to the business owner, but so far, the coward has not had the necessary honor to call a fellow business person to discuss this travesty. I am considering legal action against this company to recoup the money it will cost me to take down my data from Theranest and use another competitive software. THEY ARE POISON. Stay away from them.

Pros

It's a comprehensive program that handles most aspects of the claim processing we all need in a busy practice. They SAY they offer live customer service when a user runs into questions about how to use the program. That is why I chose them over Simple Practice, which offers NO live customer service. The reality is when you are in need of an answer on how to use an aspect of the program, you must leave a message on a voice mail. They will call you back when it's convenient for them to do so - and that's never when I need an answer. I do all of my claims submissions myself and I'm a fairly intelligent and computer literate user. This is a complex, intricate software with may nuances in use. My time is limited, and so it doesn't work for me to have to wait for an answer until it's convenient for them to call me back.

Cons

Simply put, they lie about their live customer service. Their training videos are convoluted, not well-produced and hard to follow in terms of content. I spent countless hours and significant money to make the transfer over to Theranest, and when I held them to account for their promised and not delivered live customer service they CANCELLED MY ACCOUNT! This has caused me undue stress and dollars...and they have been very callous and offered no-compromise position. I complained too much, and therefore, they got rid of me! Nice!

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

I chose them because they said they had live customer service available. This turned out to not be true.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

Simple Practice makes no false statements about Customer service. They don't offer ANY live customer service options, and the program is fairly buggy and complicated.

Response from TheraNest

Replied November 2019

We value feedback from all of our customers and use that feedback so that we can continuously improve. While we believe TheraNest offers best-in-class customer service, we know every user has different needs for their practice. We at TheraNest work tirelessly to meet our customers' expectations each and every day.

Shea from N/A

Easy to Use and Affordable-Great for LPC-A or Intern Level Therapists

I only used my trial version for about half of the time before I went ahead and subscribed to the full version. This is by far the best EHR for my needs! I also can't say enough good things about the customer service!

Pros

I tried several different software systems prior to finding Theranest. All the other softwares systems were made for Therapist who had their own practices, or for Practice Groups. I needed a compliant EHR that would allow me to store my client notes, and allow for my supervisor to review and co-sign with ease. I kept running in to EHR's that would charge extra for my supervisor to be added as staff, or would force me to use unnecessary features before I could create my client's progress notes. I also love that Theranest allows for some modifications to help fit my needs better during use. I also love the option to add the Wiley Planner and Progress Notes plan so you can have the Wiley Planner at your fingertips with drop-down boxes. (I have not been able to subscribe yet, but it is a cool option). I also cannot say enough about the customer service. I have received nothing but quick responses, and personalized help when needed. I had the pleasure of working with Allen Chew to help answer my questions via phone and email, so ask for him if you can!

Cons

At first, there was a slight issue with being an admin and a therapist under the same sign-in. I was told I would need two different logins, but I figured it out where I was able to keep my same login. So far I have not come across any issues with doing it that way. Also, I do come across a lot of boxes/fields that I do not need in my notes or intake documentation that I wish I could delete. I can easily skip these unused boxes, so it's not a big deal.

See above answer

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

Theranest was the easiest to use for my needs and the most affordable. The other programs were geared more towards owning a private practice, running a group practice, or the majority of sessions being Telehealth. With other programs I was having to use unnecessary features in order to even create a client case or add progress notes. I also had some programs try to charge for my supervisor to be added, even though she just needed to sign off on my notes.

beth from Rabbit Hole Farm South, LLC

Don't do it!!

Pros

ease of use in terms of scheduling, billing etc. Clearly did not check out customer service.

Cons

The organization obviously does not have the infrastructure to be able to provide timely or useful customer service. It typically takes several days to a week before you hear back and then will likely have to schedule call for another week later. Customer service completely stinks. Other companies like Practice mate etc will answer phone calls and troubleshoot problems when it work for the customer, not when some technician can set up a call. Twice the time alotted for call hasn't been enough and we've needed to finsih call at another time.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

thought theranest would be easier and initially it was.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Hi Beth, thank you for your feedback. We do offer different channels of support. While some customers prefer the option to set up a call between their client sessions, we do offer an alternative where you can call in at your convenience (1-800-867-8405; option 2 for support). Scheduled calls are a popular option and can sometimes book out several business days with our Insurance Billing Specialist. But if you have some general questions you are looking for a quick answer to we would recommend giving our 1-800 number a ring. A member of our Customer Happiness team will reach out to you to see how we can assist you further.

Megan from Nest Counseling

Industry: Individual & Family Services

Great once you get the hang of it

Overall I liked theranest once I figured out how to use all the features

Pros

Theranest has amazing customer service. You can actually get someone on the phone if you have an issue.

Cons

I found it to be less intuitive than the other EHRs out there. It took a little longer to learn how to do everything.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Wanted to use theranest as billing system

Cost

Loren from Abounding Heart Counseling, PLLC

Good EHR that meets most of my needs

I have been with them since 2016 and have seen them continue to upgrade and change things to meet the needs of their customers. Not perfect yet so there is still a ways to go, but they do a good job overall.

Pros

I like that it is affordable and enables me to connect with phone, iPad or laptop fairly seamlessly and is easy to do most things I need for my counseling business.

Cons

I would like a better system for progress review and treatment planning and for great customization of notes and forms in general.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

At the time, they seemed to have the best options for the price.

Nick from Clarity Counseling Services Co.

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great practice management software with excellent support team

TheraNest's telehealth video chat platform really saved my practice when we had to move our sessions online during the CoVID 19 pandemic. My counselors didn't miss a beat switching to telehealth because TheraNest was already ready for us to make the switch. TheraNest already had the system ready for us. And it was super easy to use! All our clients had to do was click a link and follow two prompts. That's it! Most everyone got it right away. To say that I'm happy with TheraNest is an understatement. It's a great product at a very fair price.

Pros

TheraNest is really easy to use and takes care of everything my practice requires. TheraNest is truly a one-stop shop. I really like how TheraNest handles the credit card processing, scheduling, and reminders. And it's reasonably priced. TheraNest also has an excellent support staff. I can't underscore that enough. TheraNest has an excellent support staff. There are detailed, step-by-step instructions for everything in, on, and about TheraNest, but if I need to speak with an actual human all I have to do is start a live chat by hitting the icon at the bottom of the screen. TheraNest also listens to its customers. It's constantly improving the website to make it more user friendly. It's been impressive to see how TheraNest has grown and improved every month since my practice signed up with it over 6 years ago.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints about TheraNest.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

TheraNest was more cost effective and had a simpler design. We used TheraSoft at our old practice and I'm glad we didn't go with it at our new practice. The customer support team as well as the flexibility to make changes and improvements make TheraNest a superior product.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Nick we are extremely grateful to have such loyal customers like you. Thank you for the raving review! We look forward to continuing to serve you for many years to come!

Sarah from Peak Professional Group

Superb Software

I can't imagine using any other EHR for our practice, and I have used at least three others before. The customer support team alone makes this service worth it, but the ease of use and workflow is so appreciated and truly makes my day to day tasks so much more efficient.

Pros

Theranest offers a very easy to use EHR, making it incredibly efficient to manage and bill for our practice of 350+ clients. The K-Base, though an often underused resource, is filled with all kinds of wonderful how-to articles and videos, the flow of use for scheduling, billing, taking notes, etc is sharp and efficient, and the support team is one of the best I have ever used in any professional and personal capacity.

Cons

Any process or service within this program that I did not enjoy was relayed to the support staff, and quite often they are working hard to hear their customers feedback and make appropriate changes to help improve their users experience. My biggest complaint from the beginning was the lack of ability to filter clients strictly based on their insurance carrier, but that has been in the works as an improvement for a little while and is in the pipeline to come through so I have no complaints!

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

The primary need for changing was for day to day accessibility and ease of use, which was a bit more bulky and clunky with our previous product. We also didn't have the level of support within the product that we have with TN, though we didn't quite know what we were missing until we had such an amazing team to work with.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2019

Sarah thank you so much for the glowing review! It's customers like you that make us better. Thank you for your support and loyalty to TheraNest!

Amy from Amy Olshever, PhD, LCSW

Love Theranest

Overall Theranest keeps me very organized and on top of time sensitive issues like notes, rminders and billing.

Pros

Theranest is easy to use, keeps track of my calendar, sends reminders to clients, makes billing very easy.

Cons

I wish I could customize more reporting and sorting features to help me do the billing of insurance companies that I have to do on other websites.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

I chose theranest for ease of use and best value for the money.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2019

Amy thank you so much for the lovely review! We are so happy to hear that TheraNest is just the tool your organization needs to keep you on track and organized! A member of the Support team will reach out to collect more information about your reporting needs. We do have very robust reporting features so we want to make sure we can help point you in the right direction!

Courtney from Love & Light Healing

Wonderful

Easy to learn, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] helped tremendously in guiding me.

Pros

It is very intuitive and easy to use. It's smooth to use and logical.

Cons

I honestly love everything about it. It's great for what it is.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Therapy notes was clunky to use and not as smooth and easy.

Krystal from Krystal Jacob, PsyD

TheraNest Works Well Enough

Having an EHR system really benefits my practice because I do not need to store paper charts. I like the ability to communicate in a HIPAA compliant way with clients, though I have not been able to get as much buy in from my clients around this as I would like. I appreciated the integrated telehealth system at the beginning of the pandemic, despite the fact that it was a little glitchy, but then they raise prices substantially, so I opted for another platform that was both less glitchy and a better cost value. Forms can be customized, but this is not the intuitive process I wanted it to be. I am not a computer wiz, but also I am not intimidated by computers/software. I imagine that this system would be a challenge if you were not confident in navigating unfamiliar software. Basically, it does the essentials that I need an EHR system to do. I might explore other options if it was not such a pain to consider switching everything over to a new system. I believe that it can probably do more for me than what I am getting out of it and it lacks features that I would really like to have in a system. I can make it work for me and it is not cost prohibitive to do so.

Pros

I like that they do accept user feedback. They have tutorials available to help figure out what features are available and how to use them. I appreciate the option to allow my biller to access my appointment information without an additional fee. I imagine that there are even more helpful features if you do your own billing, but I do not utilize those features. I appreciate the Wiley practice planner add on feature to help me create treatment plans (even though these can also be highly problematic in that they are transphobic, homophobic, heteronormative, and Christian based, but this is not TheraNest's problem). I love that my clients can fill out all their forms online. This saves paper and was really handy when the pandemic hit.

Cons

It is not as intuitive as I hoped it would be. While it has a lot of features, there are things that I think would be incredibly useful (and I am not alone in these thoughts as others have highlighted them on the user feedback platform) that have not been implemented. It can also be quite slow to load. I really do not like that I have to refresh the page often and intentionally for things to show up correctly on the page I am working on. This has caused significant communication errors with my biller, who does not understand computers as well and did not know to regularly refresh her browser. I would expect that in navigating around the site, that it would refresh automatically, but this is not the case.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

It seemed more customizable at the time. I no longer believe this to be the case. Pricing is very similar.

Monica from NAMI Southeast Minnesota

Poor Customer Service

Pros

It is easy to use and very intuitive. I have no problems with the actual software--it is everything that we needed and more.

Cons

In less than a week, we have had the WORST customer service experience of my life! First, we were charged incorrectly on our first bill. Now, we have spent two weeks trying to reach the billing department to correct this and have received NO response after leaving 2 voicemails and 3 or 4 emails between my [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and myself.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Cost--we appreciated the billing per client rather than practitioner.

Leigh from Good*Talk Counseling

Business Made Easy

Love it. Love the aesthetics, the ease and the reliability.

Pros

TheraNest is so user friendly and convenient. I was worried about the business aspect of starting my own private practice, but now I feel like a business champ. Still lots to learn, but TheraNest simplified and supports many aspects of running my practice with professionalism and sound ethics.

Cons

There are a few glitches here and there, but nothing major. I’d like to be able to switch a client to telehealth from my phone more easily (the button is very tiny and I had to play around to figure it out), and a single sign-in family portal would be useful. But those are easily worked around.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

After the trial period, it was the easiest to use and personalize (customized intake forms, for example).

Amy from Renewal, LLC

Recent Failures

If you asked a few days ago I would have said it’s pretty decent but in recent changes they lack integrity and are taking advantage of customers in a pandemic. Not a company I want to be a part of anymore. Regardless of some great features I would look elsewhere.

Pros

I have used Theranest since it was a new company. In the beginning the customer service was wonderful. The look is clean and user friendly and they have great tools and tutorials. They offer a wide variety of services.

Cons

I liked most things up until this year. Their customer service has been spotty this year and I was giving a little grace due to COVID but have learned that they were bought by another company in Feb of this year and that has brought about the change. Their telehealth option has been reasonably priced and has worked fairly well with the occasional glitches- it could use some improvements but 8/4/20 they sent an email stating that they are raising the telehealth fees for anyone seeing more than 30 clients a month by about 400% and raising their already high credit card rates fairly significantly. In an email I was basically told by their customer service rep that my business wasn’t that important to them.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

The quality of the product at the time. The interface was superior at the time.

Kelley from UBU Living By Design, Inc

Industry: Mental Health Care

Incredibly happy and satisfied that we switched to Theranest!

Exceptional. Our journey started with their [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], who did an exceptional job explaining what Theranest would provide and how the system works. My big issue is customer service, if it involves a client's experience, whether its billing or telehealth assistance. When I have occasionally come upon a problem (which sadly is often user error....me...), I have gotten prompt response and excellent customer service. ([SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]? Amazing. And those articles by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], so helpful) . We are delighted with the switch.

Pros

I love the clean interface and the ease of use this product provides. As someone who is not particularly technically savvy, this was an easy platform to learn and to teach. Secondly, and VERY important to me, the customer service is exceptional. They respond in good time, and they are incredibly helpful when they do. Its worth mentioning, that often I'm sending in a request for help at the end of my day, knowing that I won't hear back until tomorrow. While I usually loathe being referred to an article to address a problem, the articles they provide are exceptionally written, and give clear concise STEPS to resolve an issue. (Kudos to their writer, who is worth her weight in gold). So I can say we are extremely happy that we switched to Theranest.

Cons

I haven't found any yet. We've had this for 6 months and nothing has happened that is problematic. In fact, its been a pleasure learning and working with the system and the Theranest Team. (And they are a TEAM) [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] particularly is phenomenal. I even like the bot system that does the initial chat space! I usually hate that but its SO effective.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

The biggest reason was first, the well done presentation from [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]. He had to give it twice because I was feeling hesitant, if not skeptical. Second, it was how easy we could move through the system and learn it at our own pace. Credit to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] for not rushing us. I said, "Give us a little time to review and compare". He was present, but not "in our face", yet always available to answer questions and walk us through it. GREAT salesman. Prior to signing up, I made it abundantly clear of the importance of good customer service to us, where you could actually reach a living human being to resolve a problem quickly if need be. So far, it’s been just an exceptional experience. I feel like [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and the rest of the team are available and that they actually care. Their responses are “connected”, professional and personable all at the same time. And late in the evening, I can research it as well, thanks to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and her well executed articles. Like I said, so far we are delighted with our decision.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

The platform wasn't "simple" at all. The customer service was abhorrent. Literally, they give a notice it may take 72 hours to respond. What kind of business does that? Worse than that, it took 5 DAYS twice, to deal with a couple of billing issues. We were just referred to the 325+ mediocre articles that they provide to resolve our issues. INSANE!

Linda from Animal Assisted Therapy Programs of Colorado

Industry: Mental Health Care

Works well but has limitations for large counseling programs

This keeps our program running well and all the counselors can stay on top of their paperwork. It has it's limitations but it is working fine for us.

Pros

It is very intuitive and easy to learn how to use the basic functions. All our staff use it daily and generally can use all of the needed functions with limited training. The price is reasonable and the support is pretty good. They are friendly and understand the problem.

Cons

We have found several limitations for our counseling center: 1) we see multiple members in a family with different counselors. You cannot create more than one account with one email. So if there is only 1 parent and 2 children that need to be seen we need to be creative in how to get intake paperwork to them. 2) Some of the forms are not customizable. We tried to use our own Intake and Treatment Plans, but then none of it had interface with the other features, so we went back to using their forms, but they are not in the format we need for Medicaid and for our own needs. 3) we do assessments to track progress. They recently added a few basic standardized assessment tools, but we would prefer to use our own that we developed. So we need to use Survey Monkey for that function. Generally we would prefer a product we can tailor more to our program needs, but realize this would cost a lot more. So for the money, this is an adequate product for us.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Hi Linda! Thank you for the thoughtful review! We are glad to hear that TheraNest is working for you with your large practice! We understand that the type of animal assisted therapy you provide comes with it's own unique needs, and while we offer some customization of our clinical documentations you are looking for more. Rest assured we are always working to improve upon our product and it's customer feedback like yours that helps us get there. Thank you for these suggestions!

Caitlin from Riverbirch Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Motivated & Personalized Customer Service, User-friendly EHR that is likely to continue to improve

Overall pretty great product and service and seems to be a company that is focused on development and growth of the product and customer service experience. I've listed the things I like the least but even after studying other options, haven't been compelled to switch. I'd recommend them.

Pros

customer service is great--they make updates every month makes billing insurance pretty easy standard superbills easy to produce and email to client store all client data in organized, accessible fashion can subscribe to small cost subscription (lower amount of active clients) Allows electronic paperwork completion for clients Integrated client schedule with insurance billing credit card capability

Cons

clients can complete paperwork electronically but there are some flaws--can't require client signature field so have to do work around; ideally this would offer more official signatures as often as needed (this is a big liability issue) secure messaging included but these conversations can't be added to the cart through a click and also copy and paste function is deactivated. secure messaging also not available to with non clients to share PHI for example with a medical provider. Some issues with superbills showing a balance in a confusing way; we can't reflect discounts which creates liability issues, we can't send these through secure message easily (only email) I've heard too many complaints about the video platform so am not using it (or paying for it) at this time cumbersome to upload documents to the chart (I haven't figured out how to skip step of saving to my computer first) Simple Practice seems to have them beat in two areas: In TheraNest, Can't require client to enter their cc information when they register electronically In TheraNest, Client self-scheduling is not user friendly so I don't offer it

customer service monthly improvements

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review Caitlin! It is customer feedback like yours that helps us continue to build upon our product. We are glad to hear that with the help of our customer happiness team you've found insurance billing and clinical documentations a breeze!

TheraNest for Small Group Private Practice

Overall, I have truly valued using theranest for my work. It has been a wonderful system for practice management that I can do virtually everything I need to for my clinical practice. Once you’re familiar with the system, it is so easy to navigate through and complete the work in a timely manner. Although not without its frustrations, Theranest still has room to grow and develop. But I’m happy to wait along for the changes they have made.

Pros

TheraNest offers our practice the ability to effectively manage a caseload from all different sizes, and enables us to maintain confidentiality of patient information even across different users. I love that I don’t have to worry about someone else seeing the notes or appointment dates other than those who should. TheraNest’s template for progress notes, intakes, and treatment plans are super helpful in keeping me organized and making sure that I do not miss any information that needs to be documented. Additionally, I appreciate the software’s consistent updates that take into consideration feedback received from users like me. I was especially appreciative of their addition of separate gender identity and pronoun lines in the client details section.

Cons

Learning the software is difficult - wherein we notice a lot of people making errors in setting up appointments or being able to navigate through the site. We also find that few people use TheraNest the same way across the board, which creates some inconsistencies for us on billing and case management. Additionally, I have noticed minor fixes that could help to change the overall experience. For example, there’s no option for a user to cancel/change multiple appointments at one time; e.g., when a therapist is going out of town for a week. Also, there is no option to maintain a history of client demographic information, once you update the information (or the client does) it is gone. Lastly, there are seemingly no options to enter notes or addendums to notes that are signed or attached to a billed invoice. As a clinician, we notice mistakes at times and need to include additional comments like follow-ups with collaborative providers, client homework, etc. that would be best attached to the session note.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We appreciate your feedback, and we certainly agree there is always room to grow and improve! It is valuable customer feedback like yours that helps us continue to build upon the wonderful features we offer.

Char from Sage Health Services

Industry: Mental Health Care

Exactly what we needed for our needs

Theranest has been very helpful to us for file storage purposes and the easy generation of therapy notes. We were having to deal with another therapy note writing system for our sister agency, and boy were they confusing and just not user friendly. It really made up appreciate what we have with Theranest. Their customer support section is great! Always friendly and helpful. They solved a very serious problem with our on-line usage of many webpages and the inability of being able to read PDF's for them all. It saved us a lot of time when they had the answer that everyone was asking when different programs didn't want to talk nicely to each other and function. It was a godsend! We are very happy with the service we have had!

Pros

It was easy to learn how to use the different functions that we needed. This system has a whole lot of uses but we do not use them all for our small company. What we do use has made document storage so much more easier than paper filing, and the versatility of being able to access it from other locations was a life saver for those late night calls from our employees needing to work. We could help them no matter what time of the day. They are constantly working to make improvements and add more functions.

Cons

Forms are not as customizable as we needed, but they are improving on this. My example would be when we would have to print up therapy notes for records release, the initial set up of their forms caused a simple checkbox note to print out to 4-5 pages of paper and in giant fonts! Yikes, that was a lot of waste just to have to fax client's records somewhere. Lots of trees went into those record releases, trust me. But Theranest listened to this and made the forms so that we could change how they printed. It was not picture perfect on some of them, but we were able to get down to 2-3 pages of printing!

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2019

Thank you so much for this glowing review! We are so happy to hear that you are enjoying TheraNest!

Kristi from Friendswood Counseling Center, LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Great EHR for a mental health group practice

I've been extremely happy since switching to TheraNest! It has streamlined our daily workflow and reduced time spent on many daily tasks from completion of clinical notes, sending invoices, collection of payment/client check in, accounts receivable and training current/new staff just to name a few. I've also received excellent customer support throughout the entire process from first inquiring about TheraNest to questions being answered the longer we work within it since fully switching over to it.

Pros

There are so many features I love about this software that benefit our therapists, admin staff, clients and myself in the role of owner such as handling the billing as well as setting up the software for my group practice. We were able to go almost fully paperless is one huge benefit. Intake forms/new client paperwork can be custom created & sent to clients via the Client Portal. Completed forms are uploaded directly into their case/e-chart. Clients also can see past & upcoming appts, update their insurance info & make payments in the Client Portal. Their payment history is accessible there too. Another feature that is a huge time saver is the assisted claims feature. ERA's are received into TN & are almost solely automatically posted to client accounts for you. No more logging into 7 different websites to access EOB's/ERA's. Other features we love are: two-way appt reminders via text (clients can confirm/cancel from texts & we receive those responses within TN), integrated credit card processing reducing check in times for clients & automatic payment collection due to securely store credit cards, Wiley treatment planner & progress notes, missing progress notes reports, online training videos and the UserVoice Forum. The TN development team regularly takes user feedback from the User Voice forum to continually make improvements to the software/features offered. I wish I had switched to TheraNest so much sooner from the archaic EHR I had been using for so long!

Cons

I did not like that I was not able to call to immediately speak to someone to learn more about the software vs having to schedule a time to do so. I was concerned that would be the process if there were issues that arose if I were to switch. It has been easy to call in, email, etc with questions and I've received answers pretty immediately from the support staff.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

I switched because there were so many features missing and lacking from that archaic EHR so we sought out those features elsewhere; piecemealing together what we needed (web-based calendar, appt reminders, signing into all payer websites to access ERA's & manually apply all of the info, etc) at the time. Also, there were very minimal improvements to the software over the 7 years I utilized it.

Response from TheraNest

Replied November 2019

Kristi thank you so much for your kind words! We are so happy to hear your organization is enjoying all the benefits of TheraNest!

Maria from Private Practitioner / Dallas Art Therapy

New Electronic Note Taking and Billing Experience for my Practice

I am solving a time and storage problem through the use of Nest. The more I become comfortable with this software, the more I am able to do with leaving the office and having time for myself. In addition, I no longer pay an outside service for billing and bill almost immediately through the Nest program, understanding the ins and outs of how insurance panels prefer the electronic billing to another means. In the 6 or so months that I have used nest, I find it a tremendous asset to my business life as a therapist.

Pros

TheraNest continues to revamp and update its software making it more compatible to my needs as a clinician. Once you begin the experience of Nest and take it one step at a time, you realize that you are making progress with virtual notes and storage, billing and even telehealth! At first I was overwhelmed with learning to do everything online (changing from paper and pencil note taking, having an outside billing service to all electronic needs) I have made excellent progress where I am saving both time and money with the Nest Service. One great aspect of this service is the customer care with live online support and articles to read on areas I may need help. Training is offered on the areas I need the most help and the staff frequently ask how they can make this software product better and more compatible to my needs as a therapist's. A final accolade of Nest is being able to store secure photos of client art work and additional notes and documents. There is a secure client portal too if you choose to use this for intake and other virtual needs.

Cons

As a seasoned professional with little to no electronic note taking experience, my learning curve is not as adept to electronic storage, billing and virtual sessions. So, I find that sometimes the training tapes are too fast and too in-depth for one sitting. Therefore, I need to review them a few times in order to understand what area of Nest to access and what tabs I need to use for processing. Fortunately the support staff are ready to help me in all of my questions.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

My colleague in my office explained how the product works and I was given a month or two of free trial. However, I feel that the reviews I saw on line and from other colleagues helped me to decide to make the switch to electronic notes and storage through nest.

Response from TheraNest

Replied August 2019

Maria thank you for this very insightful review! Going from paper notes to electronic notes can seem like a daunting task but there is nothing to fear when you have a team of TheraNesters behind you! We are happy to hear that you've been able to cut cost, streamline your practice and get more time back for the things you love!

Gary from Sunrise Psychological Services/Sunrise Counseling Group

All In with TheraNest

Our office was using one company for scheduling patients and patient notification (text messaging); one company for billing; and one company for notes which resulted in huge opportunities for human error; the specific needs of our office were not addressed with any one company. TheraNest addresses most of our office needs in one integrated program. Scheduling, appointment notifications, progress notes, billing, and ERA (eventually). I previewed the ERA and it looks like it will efficiently apply payments to billed services. I am very satisfied with TheraNest and strongly recommend it for other Behavioral Health providers.

Pros

Imported years of data from another system into TheraNest with no errors and very limited time commitment. Their customer support was very helpful and honest about the transition. TheraNest is full featured- Our office used a competitor program for 30+ years but wanted/needed a cloud based state of the art EHR program- Our office tried several other popular programs but they all had significant limitations. We are very excited about Theranest. Our Office is new to the program but so far so good. The customer support is excellent. They are adding features frequently, including specific features requested by users. The start up learning curve is doable and our staff picked it up in a few days versus weeks. The scheduling, pt. appointment notifications, calendar, and agenda are well thought out and fully integrated. The initial intake note and progress notes took some getting used too but they work very well- DX codes are easily entered and updated. The progress notes are very professional and signed and cosigned if necessary. I know this sounds like a paid advertisement but I have spent a lot of time, money and effort trying other programs and I was never more encouraged than with Theranest. Our goal was to be fully functional with the transition from our current system to Theranest by January 2019. We are ahead of schedule and our intention is to bill our first full month of receivables for November 2018.

Cons

The fees were initially off putting. But after becoming familiar with TheraNest, I see the potential for a very efficient, time saving, integrated system that is well worth the monthly investment. There is also flexibility with monthly billing based upon caseload (increasing or decreasing at discretion of the user) and it seems fair.

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2018

Thank you for the glowing review!! We are so happy to hear you and your team are enjoying TheraNest!

Karen from Meaningfully Connected LLC

Overall, my favorite EMR of the five I have used and tried.

Pros

Set up to document all phases of counseling; ability to upload documents into client records; MSE with each progress note; can email clients through client portal for HIPPA compliance; clients can securely complete, sign, and submit intake paperwork through client portal; ability to accept credit and debit cards easily for services rendered; GREAT invoicing and billing features; automated appointment reminders; integrated calendar; multi clinician capability; Wiley planner and progress note features; the reports feature is fantastic for tracking payments, invoices, and notes status. Subscribers can also develop custom forms for clients or for clinician documentation needs. The help and tutorial features are easy to follow, and customer service has been responsive. TheraNest continually seeks feedback about subscriber needs and uses that feedback to improve their product. There is also an internal office chat box feature.

Cons

Like any product, it is not perfect. The calendar feature is good but has room for improvement with respect to appointments spilling into nonwork hours or the occasional time I choose to see clients outside my regular hours to compensate for conferences or other needs taking time from my regular client schedule. I understand this issue is being addressed. Progress notes can be lengthy due to incorporation of the client's entire treatment plan into the note. I have yet to find a way to mark treatment goals and objectives as completed in the treatment plan even when using the review feature. This would be a helpful feature to track a client's progress quickly and for planning future session interventions to address unmet goals.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2018

Thank you for the review, Karen. You can now select to schedule outside of selected working hours on a client appointment. :)

Kyle from Triple Willow Mental Health, Inc.

Industry: Mental Health Care

Never felt alone; even in my darkest times.

Pros

TheraNest has EVERYTHING in one place. I have search high and low for several years; applied, signed up, and trialed several other soft-wares, and none of them compare to TheraNest. The Client Portal is a surprise when I share the feature with my patients. The Customer Service being accessible to all providers (Inters and Residents alike) is a huge plus so I do not find myself training (and retraining) through the semester to a new class when they can find the answers easily on their own. TheraNest makes the end of my session a 10 min wrap up with documentation, and the end of my day a 5 min wrap up to submit ALL billing. I save money on not having to hire a full-time employee to manage my billing and claims; merely a contract when there is an issue with the insurance themselves and a phone call is needed beyond my knowledge.

Cons

The only thing I could ever wish for, is prescribing rights and abilities. I plan to expand my company into the Medical Realm eventually, and this is a feature I plan to discuss with the developing team.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Kyle, thank you for the wonderful review. Our support team was all smiles when we read it as it¿s always our goal to be available for all users of TheraNest. We¿re very happy to hear that you (and your interns and residents) have been enjoying TheraNest and that it¿s helped make your practice easier and quicker to manage! We¿d be very excited to grow with you as your practice grows, that¿s why we¿ve passed on your e-prescribing request to our development team and we¿ll be in-touch to discuss your wants/needs for this feature. We take all feedback and suggestions very seriously. As always, don¿t hesitate to reach out if you need us! Thank you for being a valued customer, Kyle! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Toy from Renewal Christian Counseling, PLLC

A MUST HAVE!!

This software saves me so much administrative time! Using TheraNest, I also save by not having to hire a billing company! Billing is a matter of a few clicks! It is truly a MUST HAVE for private practice! The customer service and technical help are prompt, friendly and professional! It was easy to set up and get started using. The help database is amazing (videos and articles). I have referred three others because I am so impressed and enjoy using TheraNest! I researched and trialed others, and I am 100% happy with my decision to use TheraNest! Time saving TheraNest helps me get rest!!!

Pros

Easy to learn and use! Super user friendly and intuitive! Great value! Telehealth option with interactive worksheet feature!!! Has mobile app version. Calendar syncs with google calendar. Processing payments is a breeze! Forms and client portal save time and paper! Billing is quick and easy--few clicks and done! Reports are nice business management feature! Client reminders and self-scheduling options! Customer service is TOP NOTCH! Progress notes and treat

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of any cons. I have nothing negative to say about TheraNest!

Price Features Interface User friendly Intuitive

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2020

Thank you so much for these wonderful words! We love to hear that you are enjoying TheraNest and referring us to your colleagues.

May 2016

Patrick from Inner Fokus

May 2016

TheraNest is an evolving EHR platform with a great interface, and excellent technical support.

I have been using TheraNest for approximately 6 months. Here are some of my thoughts. Pros: Excellent User Interface. Very logical and intuitive to use, and a clean design. Very cost effective for practices with multiple clinicians. Extremely responsive technical support. Easy to use mobile applications. Nice features for streamlined and integrated billing, invoices, and SuperBills being created and sent to clients. Integrated CC processing. Patient portal for submitting intake paperwork. (add on charges) Patient reminders with SMS and phone calls. (add on charges) Excellent Up-Time and great communication from the owner. Cons: Limited customization options for the interface, reports, and standard progress notes. Not really fitting for practices with a prescribing professional. Creation of patient forms can be tedious and is not easily ported between TN accounts for different practices. Lack of ability to connect businesses with separate Tax IDs to a master account. (Modern practices increasingly use teletherapy, which can mean multiple business locations, Tax IDs, etc., and each location needs a separate TN account.) Lack of ability to connect the calendars of multiple practice locations to prevent double booking or double data entry. Overly basic invoicing and SuperBill formats without customization options (Per tech support, this is currently being revised, but is not yet released.) Inability to customize the Dashboard metrics, and current monitoring tools have limited practical utility. (Poor cash flow tracking, no notice of unwritten notes, etc.) Overly limited options for clinician site access (It is essentially either a decision to allow clinicians access to all billing information, or none.) Limited payment tracking for tracking payments to clinicians. Overall, I have chosen to stay with TheraNest, and am happy with the simplicity of it all. If the developers continue to help the site evolve, and address some or all of the concerns noted above, I will most likely stay with them and renew my contract for another year.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2016

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Patrick! We are planning to add a prescribing feature in the future. I have tagged your account so you will be notified as soon as it has been released. Thank you for your suggestion about allowing different tax ID's for the business. We are working on a tele-therapy feature so I will make sure to pass this along to the product team. We are able to sync your calendar appointments to both Google and Apple calendars. The Missing Notes report will show you each appointment that is missing a note. You can run this report by clicking Reports > Notes > Missing Notes Report. We are working on a complete billing re-design that should be released in the next couple of months. The new design will help you better track amounts paid by insurance and clients. If you have any other questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know in the application or at support@theranest.com Thank you! The TheraNest Team

Jennifer from Red Road Holistic Health, Inc.

Smooth work Flow

I have actually watched this company grow and alter their Technology to adapt to ever-changing needs of Insurance Billing, Provider Scheduling, and smooth Office Management, since starting our contract with Theranest. I love the flexibility and growth this programming allows for Company growth!

Pros

The ease, efficiency, and great mechanics of this software makes my billing needs go very smoothly. I have ALWAYS received fast and efficient Technical Support and guidance from Theranest! This make problem solving in Office Billing go so quickly that the reliability of this program allows for great time management.

Cons

Secondary Insurance billing is complicated in that the Provider must actually submit and manage Primary Insurance Billing first before Secondary Billing can be submitted which leads to a longer delay in payment for services.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Theranest was Highly recommended by a local peer professional and the cost of the program could not be matched. Along with the Visual graphics are much nicer than the traditional DOS programs.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

Expense and Cost first, as well as Theranest being more user friendly, offers GREAT Tech Support and responsiveness to Provider Needs, as well as Reliability. My past Scheduling program often lost appointments, had limited views of past appointments, and allowed double-booking in err.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2020

Jennifer thanks for the many wonderful years of business. We've enjoyed seeing you through your TheraNest journey and we look forward to many more years to come!

Ginny from Full Life Counseling & Recovery

Industry: Mental Health Care

Very good resource for our group practice

We have been users of Theranest for the last year. It is very, very user friendly, especially compared with some of the other products that we demo'd. Most things were very, very well --- scheduling, appointment reminders, progress notes, reporting features that help us know who is current with progress notes and assessments and who has gotten behind, treatment planning and diagnostic features. We do not use the Wiley Treatment Planner library, but we might at some point and are thrilled that it is available. We initially used the merchant account features to run credit/debit/flex cards through the system, but we found we could save considerably by having a merchant account with our bank instead. Switching back and forth was not a problem. We have generally been very pleased with most aspects of the service, especially the finance terms. This platform works very well for a practice that has several clinicians and when the work is exclusively individuals, couples or families.

Pros

We love it that we pay a rate based on the number of active clients, not the number of users. We have several part-time staff who want and need to be able to use the same system, and other EHRs charge by clinician. The best part, though, is that it looks and feels very much like a paper record, and getting tech-anxious clinicians to make the switch from paper really very easy. Even the most reluctant found that they love it and do not complain about changing from paper to EHR.

Cons

Group rosters, group notes and scheduling of groups is possible but definitely a weak area for Theranest. Other weak areas include the way the ledger interfaces with attendance in the creation of invoices and superbills (putting cancellations on them, even if there was no charge). And lastly, reporting features could be better for helping practice managers better assess productivity and other information. The dashboard looks great, but as far as I can tell, we can't change the data that the graphics are pulling from and they always are reporting information that is from the beginning of the practice's use of Theranest, not with any particular timeframe or different variables. This may be possible to change, but if so, it's not easy enough for THIS user to figure it out.

Carly from PSP

Average. Some strong features and some poor features

Pros

The mobile feature; Notes/scheduling/billing all in 1 program and platform; Client portal; Visually easy to understand and use without a lot of needed guidance;

Cons

1) The notes are rudimentary and unprofessional 'looking' when you print them. 2) The signature feature does not have enough characters to include full name and credentials & the hand-written option ends up looking like a preschooler signed your name; 3) all the demographic and other info that a ct fills out in ct portal forms DO NOT auto-populate to your intkae note template or anywhere, so you end up having to re-type a tone of information; 3) ct oprtal forms are easy to edit, but the actual intake and progress forms are NOT editable. They advertise "customizable forms" but neglect to tell you that if you use these, you don't get any of the built-in, dynamic software features such as the DSM-5 dx box, all demographic info, date/etc... that's the whole point- you can't run reports on these notes, etc.!!! 4) the text boxes that you type you notes in are not user-friendly...you have to scroll down if you type a longer paragraph in order to read/view and edit it. It's time-consuming and difficult to review your note. 5) not easy to upload photos or handouts that you and a ct create. You have to email it to yourself, download it and then upload it to TheraNest...too many steps! Overall, the note taking features in this EMR are poor.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Carly, Thank you for taking time to provide us a review. Voices like yours are how we improve our product and customer experience. We're always looking to incorporate customer feedback so thank you very much! We're happy to hear you've been enjoying our mobile app and client portal. It's nice to hear you find TheraNest easy to use and understand. We're here for you if there's anything we can help you with. Thank you for being a valued customer. We appreciate you, Carly. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

JudyAnn from My Solution Services

My experience has been great. There have been some changes to get used to, but we've gotten there.

Professional benefits for practice management.

Pros

Flexibility to manage the calendar without losing information. I like the options. Being able to add service codes for a busy practice. The in-practice chat is invaluable for the clients using it. Search and expanded view are very helpful. Powerful and speedy when uploading files. Real support. I've made requests for changes (along with others) and received attention. I've found some 'hacks' that made my task go smoother and enjoyed sharing them with support. Colorful. May seem a little thing, but we can have distinctive identity on the calendar for each or for all. Not necessary to open a completely different screen. Every effort to be secure. Never a problem with security or an uneasy hint that things aren't working right. Almost zero down time. We're working with 'machines', there is bound to be some down time, but the occurrences have been rare and quickly solved. Professional action. This reflects on patient desire for security. The appearance and behaviors for entering information are professional. Ample patient reminders. Patients can respond to reminders to connect with me if we miss one another on the phone. Email is especially good for this. I reviewed this software about a year ago and have come to like it even more.

Cons

A disappearing con: tutorials and knowledge base has expanded during the time I've been using the software.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2018

Thank you for your fantastic and thorough review, JudyAnn. We continue to build out more support documentation and videos to help you and your team.

Michael from Dr Cynthia Edwards-Hawver and Associates LLC

Extremely satisfied

There is nothing more reassuring than good customer support. Any time I have needed assistance, I have been offered answers and often good suggestions.

Pros

First of all, the instructional materials and webinar made implementation far less stressful than I had imagined. Customer support is ALWAYS extremely responsive. The functionality is intuitive and allows me to set or change functions based on the needs of staff and clients. Also, if there is a clear need to upgrade or change functions or features, TheraNest seems quite willing to adapt to the needs of their customers, which is very reassuring.

Cons

Integration was NOT difficult at all. There aren't really any cons. There are only things that I would add to cater spicifically to OUR office. Obviously, that isn't possible. And TheraNest already has a "suggest a feature" feature to allow customers to chose new functions by voting. Pretty cool.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

We decided on TheraNest based on the recommendation of a collegue. She had tried other options and found TheraNest to be a superior product.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

We were not able to address the needs of our clients in a timely manner. With TheraNest, we are able to have control and instant access to information we need.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write us such a raving review Michael. We appreciate you and we are so glad your enjoying all that TheraNest has to offer including our fantastic Customer Happiness team!

Lindsay from WellBeings Therapy

Favorite EHR System!

I am very happy with my experience with TheraNest. I feel secure knowing all my files are in one place and I can access from anywhere, anytime. Training staff is easy too with so many videos and articles to help train them on how to use the system.

Pros

The product is intuitive and easy to use. I love the note writing (can copy from last note), treatment planning (wiley system) and billing features. I love that TheraNest is constantly updating and making the system better and better!

Cons

Creating custom forms can be difficult. You can't copy and paste a document easily and have to re-create each one. Once you get used to it, it becomes easy just takes some learning :) Sometimes it takes a day or two to hear back from customer service if you use the chat feature.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Yes! I did trials for these 3 programs and chose TheraNest!

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Thank you for the review Lindsay! We are so honored to be your favorite EHR system. We will continue to work hard for you to earn that #1 spot.

Joseph from Life Counseling Services

Great EHR for Private Practice

The software is really good for a new private practice. Like any EHR software there is always a learning curve. For practitioners who are already adept with other EHR software this is fairly simple and learning curve is not difficult. At the beginning it may seem difficult but you can test/tinker around with the features without any negative consequences. Suggest you create a test dummy client and play with the features. You can delete the dummy file later. Customer services has been positive in all my interactions. I did not feel like I got stiffed any money or felt like customer service is a robotic call center in another country. Customer service always was courteous and tried their best to answer questions. If a problem arose, they tried their best to solve it or if it was a issue out of their hand, they were up front & responsible in their responses. The features are what a private practice needs including a) prog. notes b) ledger & forms for billing c) treatment plans d) built in assessment e) graphs to track cancellations, outstanding ledgers, and payments f) calendar for appointment schedules g) ability to upload documents to client's record and more. As a single software source for a private practice one really doesn't need extra software than TheraNest. The only flaw I ran into was the claims process. Specific insurance companies and Medicaid require specific boxes on claim to be filled in a specific way. The service location is the challenge on form 1500 which created a small headache. If you use one service location and that is all then it should be no problem. If you have 3 - 4 service locations such as multiple offices and you have to bill each location with a different number then it can be a little challenge. The problem can be remedied at the next level of billing at the clearinghouse which is what I did. In simple terms if you are just a single private practice and have one location then this issue will not arise. This is why TheraNest is great for private practices rather than large corporations. Cost for Theranest is decent because it charges based on the number of clients. Also if you have between 2 - 5 active clients, the cost is already covered once your claims get paid. At the time I started it was around $ - $ a month. With a single claim of $ - $ paid, the cost is already covered. Overall, I highly recommend it for a private practice and clinicians who are just getting started in their own practice.

Response from TheraNest

Replied February 2017

Hey Joseph! Thanks for taking the time to give us such a detailed review! We're so glad to see that you're liking the software and have been patient with us as we work to improve. Thank you for the feedback regarding locations, we're working on bettering that feature now and hope to have that out to you soon. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Tyler from Inner Peace Counseling & Wellness

5 Stars

If you are wondering if you should, and you have spent hours searching like I have. You can stop. Theranest has got it all.

Pros

I have to say, I was scare to take on a venture of switching EHR’s. Our previous EHR was spectacular. Theranest was a lot to understand at first, and had way more features than our previous EHR. But within 1 week, we made a complete merge and once our platform was completed functional, the easiest part was bringing out clients over. The ease Theranest has instilled in their system makes it work every single penny spent.

Cons

I am not sure if any EHR does do this, but I wish merging our clients documents and implementing all of their information into our Theranest was a bit easier. But spend time getting used to the system and where everything is, and you’ll have no problem.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

TheraNest’s client portal. That’s what won.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

To allow office staff more access to our clients and interacting with them so clinicians can do their job and not worry about the administration side.

Kenneth from Kenneth J. Nelan

Great Reports - Slow to Nonexistent Customer Service

Pros

I really love the reports, especially the demographic reports (with pie charts even) that I can pull with this EHR. I also love the all-in-one pricing, in that I can have as many therapists as I want - pricing is based on number of clients, not therapists. This EHR is user-friendly, somewhat updated GUI (still lagging behind the times, but not bad), and easy enough to figure out on one's own.

Cons

Cons - truly - there is only one problem I have found in the limited time I have used TheraNest. If you need to contact customer support - good luck. Emails generally take a week or longer to receive a response and I have only spoken 1x to a live person by calling support - and I have called MANY times.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

I was really taken with TherapyNotes' reports and smooth operation. I love their pricing by clients rather than by staff. They do charge additional fees for Telehealth/clinician, but it's worth it to have an integrated client portal (with payment and signatures) and demographic reporting.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

TherapyNotes was fairly expensive for the same features with fewer reports. SimplePractice was just way too expensive and nickel-and-dime every service or feature they offer.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

We are glad you are finding the reporting so valuable, Kenneth! We heard you loud and clear, we've added several additional Support staff members to the TheraNest team to decrease wait times.

Christy from Massachusetts Psychotherapy Associates

Industry: Mental Health Care

Excellent practice management software for my solo practice.

Pros

I find the company is always growing, looking for ways to improve based on clinician feedback. Two changes/improvements have been made that I've requested (along with others) and they've made many many other improvements that hadn't necessarily occurred to me but that have increased efficiency or streamlining. The customer service is excellent. I used to spend hours doing my billing, and before that paid a human being by the hour to do it for me, and now it's literally a few clicks. I have very busy solo practice (30-35 patient hours per week) and I am 100% on top of my Intakes, notes, billing and incoming payments.

Cons

It has definitely steadily crept up in cost since I started using it in 2014, but I've compared it to other platforms and it's comparable or less for what you get. There are many features that I don't need at all in a solo practice, but again, this is probably true in other platforms (this, I'm not positive about) and anyway, I don't feel like I'm paying for a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Response from TheraNest

Replied December 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words, Christy. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We count ourselves lucky for loyal customers like you.

Chanel from Crossways

Industry: Mental Health Care

I have been using Theranest for the past 3 years and I am still being impressed by their product!!!

I aids my practice in running efficiently in all areas.

Pros

The user friendly software, color scheme, and efficiency is what I like most. I recommend it to my clients and I have not gotten one complaint about your EHR. It is great for the administrative staff, clients (Therabook), and the therapist. I love that their staff make me feel like we are one big happy family working together. My questions are answered in a timely manner and they are answered effectively. The same day I might add. Theranest is the best choice for a mental health private practice.

Cons

I honestly do not have a CON. I guess since I have to submit 100 characters as a min. I will say.... I setup many account for different mental health professionals and I have to use a different email every time. That can be a pain, because I do business with my company email.

Response from TheraNest

Replied September 2017

Hi Chanel! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a glowing review! You're a fantastic customer. You're always friendly, fun, patient and provide excellent feedback that helps us continuously improve in all areas. It's a pleasure when we hear from you. :) We wouldn't be where we are without customers like you. We're delighted and grateful to have you in our TheraNest family. We appreciate you! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Laurieann from Come 2 Change Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Good product at a good cost

The ease with tele therapy and inexpensive cost. Some clients seem to find it difficutlt to initially log on, however. I suspect they may not be entirely reading instructions, however.

Pros

Software is very user friendly and intuitive.

Cons

Some of the add-on features are more complex. Billing and credit card processing. The training when taken a while ago seemed to move too fast. Seems training is now mostly on-demand type components. Help can be delayed at times (I suppose this is due to COVID-19, but not absolutely sure.) Some of the modules with casework seem incomplete. Creating treatment plans for instance - - it is difficult to update the plans. Only option is to add addendums.

Cost and ease of use.

Stacy from Private Practice

TheraNest offers everything I need to keep my practice organized and paper-free!

Pros

TheraNest is one-stop shopping! For an affordable monthly cost, I get everything I need to keep my practice running smoothly - I can schedule patients, send them forms ahead of their appointment via the Client Portal, submit my insurance claims in two simple clicks, and keep track of my income by running monthly reports. I also like being able to write assessments and progress notes in my own style using the customs forms feature. Can't forget about customer support; TheraNest is great over the phone, and they certainly listen to customer requests by continuously adding new features each month. For someone looking for a paperless and organized practice, TheraNest is a must!

Cons

TheraNest can be a touch confusing when initially navigating its features. However, after repeated practice, I now find it so simple and easy to use. I wish the Client Portal/Custom Forms could be advanced so that we can change the font size and have control over bolding/italicizing/underlining certain headings and words.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2017

Hi Stacy, Wow, thanks so much for these kind words, this is a great encouragement for our team and we're overjoyed to hear that you're still loving the software. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and your feedback regarding a more customizable format. I'll be sure to pass that along and again, thanks so much. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Elaine from Elaine Barron Counseling

Industry: Mental Health Care

Software that enables trouble free insurance submission and payment

I haven't had to hire someone to do my insurance submission, which would take from my business profits as a sole proprietor.

Pros

I liked that I was able to submit insurance simply and quickly, with claims accepted and paid in a reasonable time frame. I like being able to have my clients fill out on line forms so that their information is easily accessible. Setting up appointments is also easy and am able to set them up on my phone app as well. The price is more reasonable than all the others I checked out. For an extra $10/month I am able to provide telemental health appointments securely to my clients. Customer service has been very helpful and they have been able to solve any problem I am having.

Cons

Phone App does not have as many features as Simple Practice, which is why I first chose Simple Practice over Theranest. Forms were not as easy to create as Simple Practice. Sometimes takes a while to get my questions answered. Would like to have someone available by phone that was more easily accessible.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Less expensive and I had already had a trial with TheraNest and was pleased with the people who were involved in answering my questions as I was learning.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

They went up significantly in price in the short time I was there, and the primary insurance I used was automatically rejected numerous times and they were not helpful in resolving the problem. Theranest had no problem submitting and getting paid the same insurance. Customer service was not helpful at all and difficult to get response.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review Elaine. We are happy to hear that with TheraNest you've been able to submit to insurance with ease, without having to hire a biller to your payroll.

Donna from Peace In Mind Counseling, LLC

Supportive, convenient, affordable, quality product!

Pros

The client portal and the fact that the intake can be done online! I love custom forms, the appointment reminders, emails, payroll.... I love it all! I especially love the customer service. I'm a loyal customer especially because of the way they are with their customers (texting, emailing and constant improvements). 10 stars!

Cons

Id like payroll to be able to have the option to select the payouts due tab and pay clinicians when claims are paid in full. Copays are attached to this currently and I have to select "copay paid to clinician" even though it's not in order for payouts due to work the way I need it to. I also need to be able to print out a demographics sheet on a single client to an option. I'd also like the email to have a time that an email was sent.

Response from TheraNest

Replied May 2017

Wow Donna! Thanks for the review, we are blushing over here and also thankful for your kind words. We love to hear that our customer happiness team is serving you well. I'll pass along your suggestions to our development team, but as a loyal customer you know you can always write in or use the microphone icon to make suggestions, we're always interested in your feedback as it very much shapes our plan for the future of TheraNest. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Tammy from Forward Thinking Perspectives PLC

Great experience with limitations

I would recommend Theranest to anyone who has less than 30 active clients at any given time. Once you go over 30 and add the price of extra features it goes from being comparable value to not being a good value.

Pros

The initial first session paperwork such as intake, privacy policies and informed consent are extremely easy to edit and make your own. Being able to do one note for a group and have it go to each group member's file was awesome.

Cons

Price is based on number of active clients and therefore was not good for me because of seeing some clients just to do evaluation and doing groups which makes number of clients more. Also reminders and other features are extra. I prefer to pay one price and know what it is. There is not the option to put handouts, assignments into folder for clients to access. You have to send them back and forth which clients complained was inconvenience. However, if my clients had not had previous experience with Counsol where there was folders I do not think they would have complained because they would not have known of other option.

Response from TheraNest

Replied April 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience! It sounds like you are enjoying the client portal and intake forms as well as our group appointment and not functions! After you send your initial intake forms you can certainly resend forms in a packet and not one by one. A support team member can reach out and help you with this. As far as pricing - our philosophy is that the number of active clients you serve is a much better representation of the size and needs of your practice than the number of people you have on staff. Allowing you to archive an unlimited number of clients and reactivate them at any time results in the vast majority of our customers paying significantly less for similar features versus our competitors. On average, things like text reminders cost less than $1/mo for 1 provider. Other optional features like Telehealth and Wiley Planners are optional add-ons rather than mandatory upgrades.

CHRISTOPHER from Christopher Diggins, MA,LMHC

Most outstanding product.

Customer service at theranest is exemplary. Whenever I've had a problem they are right there to help, to assist.

Pros

What I like most about this therapist software is that it makes my job so easy. The the main uses of this software for me or charting my notes and billing my insurance. And with voice recognition Google software all I have to do is dictate my notes after the client leaves. Takes me 3to 4 minutes to do the notes in to get them done. I no longer have to spend time at the end of the day charting trying to remember what happened in a particular session. This is so easy and I'm so grateful that I have had this software for probably six or seven years.

Cons

You know there is nothing I do not like about the software. Oh yes there is one thing I wish I could customize the progress notes section more to meet my needs. There's a lot of things on that page that I have no need for and so I have to find where to do my notes.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Christopher we are so appreciative of your raving review! We are so glad that TheraNest has made your job so easy over the years.

Keli from Eastern Door Counseling Center

Perfect fit for our organization

Overall this has been a great experience. Billing is super easy. Training is also easy. Both of these benefits show in the bottom line.

Pros

Record keeping can be daunting - so many guidelines from health providers and company policies. I have found this program to be flexible for our organization and forgiving to those who are new to the organization and are just learning. Our time is saved in training because of the great tutorials available to every user.

Cons

We are finding it difficult as we grow to our next level. No dates on reports and not able to run many reports by therapist is becoming increasingly difficult.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

Aesthetics, ease of use, support from TN was easy to access.

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Hi Keli thank you for the feedback! We are so glad that TheraNest is the perfect fit for your organization, and that it's help stremline your new hire training process! We love your suggestions around including date ranges on report print outs. That is true for some reports but we could benefit from making that consistent for all reports. We continue to use customer suggestions like this to power our feature improvements!

Mark from Melange Health Solutions

Great Product & Pricing But Service Note Functionally Lacking

I second all the glowing reviews but our Group bills Public Payers (Medicare, Tricare, Medicaid) in addition to commercial payers. We loved the user interface and ability to set up locations, accept payments, billing interface, and access /caseloads. Theranest has THE best pricing of the competitors. Most EHRs want to charge by # of Providers. That works great if every Therapist is Full Time. Theranest charges by tiers of # of active Clients so their pricing is linked to your revenue. GREAT Concept! However the Progress Note feature does not work for our Payers. The built-in SOAP Note is the only Note that will integrate with the client's treatment plan. Our Payers require that each Note is linked to a Treatment Goal. Also ALL of our Payers require PIE or BIRP format. Our therapist were not able to select/change the CPT/Service code when they completed their Clinical Service Note. The CPT/Svc code selection is made in the Appointment Screen and the therapist would have to go to another screen to change the Service Code. All the Therapist sees is the session elapsed time that they can change , for example, 60 minutes can be for family or Ind. therapy (different CPT codes). Also it puts the burden on the scheduler to choose the correct service vs the Therapist that conducts the session. Also, there was no way to seemingly enter an Add-on CPT code (complexity/crisis) to the primary service. AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I did the 30 day trail and asked for a 14 day extension they were very accommodating. Wish the Progress Note documentation had met our needs.

Pros

Ease of Use Multiple Locations Accept payments and Billing Integration Wiley Treatment Planners integration

Cons

Progress Note Functionality No PIE Note Format Authorizations Management

Response from TheraNest

Replied March 2017

Hi Mark! Thanks so much for the review and for your candor, we genuinely appreciate it. We're always looking for ways to improve and we couldn't do it without your feedback. Please be on the lookout for someone from our support team contacting you, we want to talk more about what this could look like. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Nicole from Breakthrough Therapy Solutions, LLC

User Friendly and Efficient

I have enjoyed using theranest because of its ease of use, efficient billing capacity and easy to use and read documentation.

Pros

User friendly, useful features, easy to read software

Cons

Can't "save" the customized client grid on home page. The reconciling payments process seems like it could be more efficient and streamlined rather than multiple steps.

cost, user friendly

Response from TheraNest

Replied July 2020

Thank you for the review! We are so glad you've found TheraNest to be so useful and user-friendly! A member of our Customer Happiness team will reach out to you, as there is a way to save the customized client grid. :)

Jane from Contemporary Therapy with Jane Johnson Wall

Theranest makes running my practice so much easier.

Pros

Life is busy, and this streamlines my practice so that info, notes, and billing are all just clicks away. It is so easy to bill insurance companies, and the encryption for credit cards is a dream!

Cons

Now that the format has been updated, it's easier to navigate. Glitches that I experience are probably due to me- lol! The app does not have the all of the options available on the site. I'd love to be able to submit billing through the app. As of now, it does not appear that clients have the option of signing in to do paperwork, schedule, etc. That would be a helpful option.

Response from TheraNest

Replied January 2018

Hi Jane, thank you for the awesome review. We always want to hear that our customers are loving TheraNest. We¿re so happy to hear that TheraNest has helped you streamline your practice! Thank you for your feedback on the our app, we are currently working to increase the functionalities of our mobile browser/application, so make sure to stay tuned for the future updates. As always, we¿re here anytime you need us if you have any additional questions of feedback. We value you and your business, Jane. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Amy from Inner Nature Therapy

Industry: Individual & Family Services

TheraNest for Psychotherapy EHR

I've found that TheraNest is quite responsive to user suggestions, leading to many positive changes over the last couple of years. For example, the Client Details form now offers many choices for "Gender Identity" and a space to write in Pronouns, which did not exist a year or so ago. I appreciate that TheraNest listens to the needs of its users.

Pros

TheraNest is relatively intuitive to use and easy to learn, given the wealth of Help videos located on the website. As someone who has worked as both a client and supervisor on the software, I can say that overall it is a great platform for groups of therapists

Cons

I have encountered some challenges with the flexibility of the software, for example, I wanted to have the option to administer a PHQ-9 monthly to clients, but even after seeking assistance from TheraNest, the only options available was to record a single PHQ-9 assessment or to tack it on to the Progress Note either week, neither of which was what I wanted. Another weakness is that they don't currently offer Tele-mental health, which is increasingly important to therapists.

Response from TheraNest

Replied March 2020

Hi Amy, We thank you for your thoughtful review! We are glad you are finding TheraNest easy to use and the Help center a great tool for your tool kit! We thought it was worth mentioning that TheraNest does offer Telehealth as an optional add on service. It is not included in the base subscription but it is available for purchase if you are interested!

Carson from Koved Care DE LLC

Industry: Mental Health Care

Easy to use, easy to get help

Ours is not a therapy practice, but private pay recovery coaching for people with mental illness. So some of the incredible insurance billing features are wasted on us. Even so, Theranest is easier to use and more cost-effective than our previous scheduling software, which was designed for the home health care market. We are happy we made the switch.

Pros

Scheduling, adding clients and adding staff are all very easy and intuitive. We like that we can add custom forms​ and that most of the reports are very useful. The online help articles and tutorials answer about 80% of our questions, and the chat help has quickly handled almost all the rest. When we did need to talk to a real person we could, and got what we needed in one call. We love that the team is super-responsive when we have a suggestion for a feature. App is easy for coaches to use remotely (we think; that's the next phase.)

Cons

As of now, you can't link uploaded documents to particular sessions, or substitute a custom signable form for the Progress Notes form built-in. I wish the Staff Billing Report would create its own subtotals by staff​ member, as this would save us a lot of time doing payroll. Similarly, we'd love the Daily Billing Report to have subtotals by client. And we would love to be able to filter the calendar by client, but this is a small thing (you can see a list of appointments in the client tab, but not laid out in a weekly calendar).

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

Cost and features. We wanted HIPAA compliant notes built in, and an easy app for our remote staff to use.

Response from TheraNest

Replied June 2019

Hi Carson! We are so happy to hear that you are finding TheraNest easy to use! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review we sincerely appreciate it!

Esther from North Star Therapy

Industry: Mental Health Care

Best on the Market, and ALWAYS improving!

It's been brilliant. Excellent customer service. HIGHLY recommended.

Pros

- LOVE being able to complete billing so easily through the platform (we do private pay with credit cards and then use PDFs of the invoices for those using Medicaid Waiver) - LOVE being able to to upload files to the client's file, including mp3s. - LOVE how responsive and progressive the developers are. They are ALWAYS improving!

Cons

- There are limitations to how much one can customize the progress note form. However, one can create a "custom form" (that is not a progress note) when needed.

Response from TheraNest

Replied August 2019

Esther thank you so much for this glowing review! We appreciate you!