• Pros

• "Amazon EC2 is a convenient way to spin up an instance of a site for testing purposes by basically mimicking the installation and configuration that you would have on a computer."

• "Servers of almost any size in minutes. Change the specs up or down, in seconds with no penalties. Geographically redundant"

• "this is a great tool to use for renting virtual computers"

• Cons

• "This tool works very well so finding faults as such is difficult, the only drawback is that locating a support team directly can be complicated but it is not impossible."

• "For newbies, it can create confusion as EC2 has so many features and tools. Although they have provided documentation and also youtube tutorials are available, one can benefit from the same."

• "I would be nice if the overall process could be a little less painful to set up and to integrate. But overall I think it works really well."

Browse Amazon EC2 Reviews

Joel from OneStrand

The Standard for Cloud Computing

Pros

The ability to spool up a server in a few minutes has always blown my mind. I had a recent server failure that resulted in me spooling up a new server to replace it. I was able to get the job done in under two hours. It would have been much faster than that if I had done it before, but there was some learning required in the process. I've documented the process, so the next time this happens, I will be able to get back up and running in minutes. Having been in IT my whole life, this ability is quite amazing. It was the stuff of dreams over a decade ago and now I get to live it out. There are way too many good things to say about EC2. I can have multiple servers spread across the world so I can service my customers locally, instead of them having to traverse continents and oceans to hit up a server. I can attach and detach storage so I can start working from where I last started. The list goes on and on. I want to say that there is a plethora of helpful information available to those who need support. The Amazon support information is great as well as YouTube and other informational sites. If you're Google-Fu is up to date, you can get the help you need without having to pick up the phone.

Cons

The biggest con to EC2 is the shear vastness of features, tools, and functionality. For people who are new and want to start off, there is not an easy or simple "get started here" path that I have found. There is so much to learn, and so much you will never know, that getting some help at the beginning should really be considered.

Extensible with Plentiful Integrations

EC2 gives us the ability to automate a lot of our infrastructure installations. Along with the ability to bid on spot machines to make our server costs low.

Pros

Amazon EC2 handles a lot of our server infrastructure and has in incredible amount of features to help deploy our products in a fast and scaleable fashion. Having integrations with other software allows us to use EC2 in an automated simple "key-turn" clusters.

Cons

The thing a least like about EC2 is how rigid creating resources are. Editing things like machine sizes, flavors, and such is not as intuitive. Along with having different sections/consoles for managing instance configurations like networks or security groups.

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

EC2 had the most stable APIs at the time and seemed more mature than other cloud offerings.

Good quality machine with room for improvement.

Pros

Pretty easy to use. Wide documentation is available in case you get stuck somewhere. And good quality machines.

Cons

For some reason, the p3.16xlarge (8 tesla v100 GPUs) machine is outperformed by p3.8xlarge machine (4 tesla v100 GPUs) (tested on multiple GPU supported model). I was using it for ML training and p3.8xlarge was taking 27 to 28 seconds for an epoch where p3.16xlarge was taking 31 to 32 seconds for an epoch even though it is a larger machine !!!!!! It has twice computing power on paper but that does not reflect in actual performance. I am not sure what might be the reason but paying twice but slower machine does not make any sence. I hope they will fix this soon.

Anastasia from Intermedia

Reliable cloud server

It is a good cloud information store. It is stable and reliable.

Pros

I can use it to store different kind of information, including a personal one. The cloud server makes it easier to control your computer resources.

Cons

Interface is a bit complicated for new users. I am used to more intiutive interfaces, probably. Pricing plans coould be more flexible.

Sophia from Virtusa

The most elastic platform available.

I never had problems with this platform, it is really very complete and useful, it has an extremely high level of security, it also integrates very easily and natively with other aws tools, it is a wonderful multipurpose tool, which can be used with or without the other tools of aws.

Pros

This tool is extremely versatile, serves as a vps, and as a base instance for many other aws tools, it allows me to connect to external aws platforms simply, it has a high level of configuration, customization and security. I can specifically choose each hardware component that is needed according to the needs of the projects, and the platform is ready to use in a few minutes, in addition to having a very extensive configuration panel, with many configurations, in addition to a console, which allows Work through commands directly, without opening the instance, its download and upload speed is very high and quite stable.

Cons

It is difficult for me to think of a negative aspect on this platform, however, what must be taken into account is that it is a fairly complete and complex tool to use, so the learning curve is quite steep.

David from Geeks-r-Us, Inc.

Scalable, Affordable, and Reliable: Amazon EC2 is Still my Go-To Cloud Server Solution

Pros

AWS makes it easy to spin up a server in almost any size/performance combo needed, so you don't have to overbuy CPU capacity, etc. Pick from the thousands of pre-loaded servers or "roll your own" with many flavours of Linux and Windows available. I like that I can prototype a project on a small (as in cheap) server and then scale up to whatever size or number of servers is needed. Taking drive snapshots while live is easy and makes brain dead simple backups. In 10+ years of Amazon EC2 use, I've never lost a server or virtual drive.

Cons

The number of pre-done server combos is in the thousands, and an easier system for searching and finding server images and selecting server settings would be a plus.

Nathan from Dotcom Zambia

Cloud Computing at its best with a catch

Pros

Server Deployment is easy - We use Amazon EC2 for deploying cloud servers for our applications. We have been able to easily deploy multiple configurations from the panel at the click of a button. Y Built on Linux - EC2 is built on Linux so if you have an understanding of Linux, it makes using EC2 easier. Cost effective. You really can't beat the cost here, being able to scale at a fraction of the cost of hosting an actual server is worth investing in EC2. You can easily turn off instances of EC2 servers when not in use to save money. Reliability - Amazon servers have extremely good uptimes which means they are working most of the time, in fact, we have not experienced any downtime since we switched from a fixed host provider.

Cons

As with any platform, learning to use Amazon EC2 can take some time. We had to have our team re-trained to start using it. So it is not ideal if you just want to deploy right away. Also AWS services are complicated to use in general so you may find it confusing use. For example, the billing panel can be confusing to use if you have multiple instances of servers running. Because of the complicated nature of the Admin panel, it is easy to get lost in features and tools available, so you are better off staying within the areas of the admin area you know.

EC2 decreases significant amount of time to go live!

We are using EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk for our large web application with both Tomcat and Nodejs apps. It is being scaled when the traffic increases and scales up very efficiently. Yet, it is being expensive but it provides us to focus on development instead of maintenance.

Pros

Amazon EC2 has broad choices of setup and configuration depending on your budget. It provides you a lot that you nearly dont need to maintain the instance at all. It also provides you load balancers that you can use it with and you can be sure that your application will scale when needed. If you are using the EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk it will be very easy to deploy and go live.

Cons

It is an expensive service full plus. But you can consider that you are not going to need that much of maintenance power so you can decrease your cost by looking from that perspective.

Winston from GlobalSoft Solutions Inc

A great choice for scalable projects.

My experience in general with this software has been very positive, it has served me for different types of projects, and even projects outside of aws, since the tool can be easily integrated with other sources, be it other websites, databases, computers, etc. It also integrates very well with the other tools of aws.

Pros

What I like most about Amazon EC2 is that it is a tool that has many uses is very versatile and allows me to customize the requirements that I need according to the project that I am developing, I can increase the amount of ram, hdd, processor memory easily from the website, it also has a high level of security, and allows you to manually configure many functions, such as ports, tasks, the control panel from the website is very intuitive and with many features, it also has a command line for more cases specific.

Cons

It is an easy-to-use tool for basic use, however for something more specific it is really complex, the most difficult to learn to use is the console, it has many commands.

Simple cloud virtual machine hosting

EC2 has provided me with excellent, low-cost VM hosting in the cloud for many years

Pros

EC2 is a game-changing technology that enables you to rapidly spin up a virtual machine in the cloud at very low cost

Cons

Compared to newer on-demand hosting options, the EC2 model is less flexible

Caroline from Sage

Simple access and no maintenance cost

Amazon EC2 has made it possible to carry out the implementation of services or applications in the cloud, thus saving time and money and being able to please any customer with their needs and all for a really fair price.

Pros

This Amazon tool is really useful since it has great advantages that is why I like it for several reasons being the main one that is extremely flexible, easy to use, easy to access, requires no maintenance and only pays for what is used, account with an interface that is very intuitive in addition to that in case of having doubts about it provides tutorials or a really compressible documentation so there is no way of not being able to understand its use, also it can be customized to cover each one of the needs that search the user thus being able to host any application, or web service of business or personal interest.

Ryan from Sunrise Communications

Amazon EC2

Pros

Cons

It seems like EC2,and AWS in general, is geared to be used ONLY by developers. A lot of their tools and utilities can only be used via cli or api. While i understand most of it is to aid in development of applications of many varieties, there are a few basic tasks ive come across that should have been fairly simple to do, nut i had to write an entire program myself to make it work. Not everyone who uses AWS services are coders. Make it a bit easier for the rest of us. Documentation can also be a bit spotty, but its pretty good overall.

September 2015

September 2015

Very convenient, saves a lot of time and money

My company has switched to EC2 for a variety of our servers. Being able to offload the infrastructure work to AWS saves us a lot of time and hassle with our IT department, and It has been incredibly convenient to be able to template servers with a single click, and bring up additional boxes for testing or debugging, and just delete them whenever we're done. In fact, with no real training on the product, I was able to get a full stack of servers up and running in under an hour. Doing this in house sometimes takes weeks of meetings and back and forth between departments.

Pros

Low cost, highly customizable to any configuration. A variety of operating systems are averrable and can be bought up at the click of a button. Third party software is also available through amazon marketplace, and most tools can be licensed through AWS and even come preinstalled and preconfigured on EC2 images. It makes building a scalable, high availability architecture an almost trivial task.

Cons

Monitoring - AWS offers cloud watch monitoring for EC2 instances, but we still found ourselves reaching out to a third party vendor for a true APM solution for the software running on our EC2 instances. It would be great if we could define what makes our app available to an end user and get reports with an availability percentage and aped score at the end of each month to hand to a client and ensure them that we're meeting our SLA. Right now, we have to go to New Relic for this, which is quite expensive.

Ben from Top Floor Technologies

Immediate access to unlimited server computing potential

Pros

EC2 is an incredible service offering unlimited computing power for any server applications, and best of all offering it 24/7 at the drop of a hat. Scale up or down automatically with elastic load balancers. Assign reusable, dedicated IPs. Create images quickly for use in duplicating servers.

Cons

The interface is complex and not very intuitive. Pricing can be hard to understand or calculate ahead of time. Amazon support isn't readily available without paying a premium for it.

Ashish from Wipro Limited

Awesome hosting provider!

At present, I am hosting 2 websites on EC2 and I am quite happy with the experience. I will recommend it to other users.

Pros

First and foremost feature is its Low cost. It is very cheap to host service on EC2. You can easily integrate your service from EC2 with Simple mail service(Email Service of Amazon) and S3 (Cloud Storage). It is very easy to start and stop a container in the EC2. You can directly control and check for the amount you are spending in EC2. They have 24*7 Customer service which comes handy in case of any outrage.

One of the best IaaS

I use it for my personal projects. I host all my websites on it. We also use it at work. All of our company's servers are on AWS.

Pros

1. The ease of use. With in few clicks and configurations, you get a server up and running. 2. Stability. I have never seen a down time/failure of any of my EC2 instances. 3. Saving of money. You only pay what you need and you can easily configure what you need. Saves ton of money.

Cons

There is nothing I can say I do not like. Everything of EC2 has been working great.

Great scalability and less maintenance costs

Pros

Amazon EC2 provides full control of virtual servers to you and it is very suitable if your application process very large amount of data. EC2 provides great scalability which does not cause any connection problems while scaling. It has great documentation and API. I have never faced any instance failure and efforts of maintenance is very less against dedicated servers.

Cons

I think Amazon should add console access directly.

Daniel from MasterControl

Great for spinning up instances of our site

We use it as a development team to spin up servers and build instances of our software for testing purposes.

Cons

Really easy to use and "just works"

Pros

It's really easy to set up and interact with an EC2 instance. You don't need to worry about everything related to setting up a server - just a few clicks and then you can move on to the specifics of your own application. And you can easily increase or decrease the size of an instance. Computing time is cheap as well.

Cons

As with some other AWS services, the UI feels a bit clunky and dated. Some of the functionality is a little hard to use.

Les from ocean

pretty good for tech heads

Pros

Extremely customizable ... you can set it up virtually any way you like to with virtually any operating system. Get your automated deployment system working in conjunction with this and you are set.

Cons

you have to figure it out for yourself. The tutorials are quite dense and the cusomizability makes it complex. Everything is an option with choices that you may not understand or be aware of.

David from Barricade.io

Amazon EC2

We've been using Amazon EC2 for years and the way it allows us to buy high computing requirements without having to make an upfront investment as we're prototyping is really useful. You still need to know your way around servers, automation, security, etc but it's very useful.

Pros

Understanding how to deploy for the cloud is essential. Once you know how to do it, you can easily end up with an extremely resilient infrastructure which would have typically required a large investment.

Cons

To use and automate your infrastructure as well as use the other associated products, you will need to be quite advanced in computing technologies.

Victor

Mikail from Crofile

Best compute service on the planet

Pros

1) wide variety in options - compute optimized, memory optimized, network optimized instances 2) wide variety in pricing options - ondemand instances, spot instances, reserved instances, dedicated instances 3) easy to use and administer 4) corse monitoring and fine grain monitoring available 5) integrates seamlessly with other AWS services

Cons

Default limit is 20 instances per region. It could be high for small micro instances. The good news is that you can submit a request for more resources.

Strongest compute capabilities for develoeprs

Pros

Incredibly easy to get started, great user community, lots of online blog and forum help, relatively well priced.

Cons

A little simplistic and lacks major enterprise features that any large company should look for when purchasing compute.

Cloud solution that works with VMware

Pros

Amazon has made some new annoncement with Vmware about more integration between VMware solution and Vmware solution. Now AMAZON RDS are now available on premise with VMware and inside Amazon. VMware solution like NSX and kubernetes are now fully compatible. Amazon offer some great solutions for IAAS, CAAS , SAAS. you need it they ve got it.

Cons

Amazon can be complex because of the large offering they provide. It can be difficult to use amazon calculator for new app because network traffic is not easy to evaluate (you pay for outgoing and ingoing traffic).

Not a great software package for providing cloud storage services.

We have implemented in a project in which we process the data every hour and the client requires to review it hourly for this we used this and we had an average experience with it not good that much and nor bad with it.

Pros

1) We do not require huge memory base for storing our data on cloud storage. 2)Its data processing speed is very fast and accurate. 3)Its cost is also not that much high.

Cons

1) Sometimes it gets into deadlock state from which itself restarts it and we have seen the erasing of the data.

Patrick

Very Impressive Dynamic Platform

I have been using the Amazon EC2 web services since they deployed it several years ago and I have to admit Amazon is leading not only in the online retail goods sales space but they are now encroaching upon the online cloud space which is very ubiquitous in 2016.

Pros

Let's be honest, everyone from Google, Apple to Dropbox is attempting to capture this market. I've been extremely impressed with Amazon's open source integration into virtually all other services especially e-commerce which is why I recommend this app.

Cons

Gosh, I have to admit there really haven't been any Cons in my opinion which is why I recommend this app.

Excellent!

Pros

this is a great tool to use for renting virtual computers

Cons

nothing that comes to mind; excellent app

Leon from Translation Exchange, Inc

Industry: Translation and Localization

Jói from CrankWheel

Joseph J. K. from West Michigan Massage Therapy

Amazon EC2 - The original in cloud computing

Pros

EC2 is simple (in concept), scalable, cost-effective and comes with the latest in features, software, and administration tools. Great documentation and useful community.

Cons

It is a complex product in implementation. And can get expensive if you don't know what you are doing!

Matt from Vision Creative Group

Tim from Avaya

good APP

Pros

Amazon EC2 is a very good App. It is super easy to deploy your solution in the cloud. It offers plenty of features.

Cons

The price is a little high. It requires some learning curve to be familiar with all the features to use.

Comparison

Pros

give good service like comparison facilities,reviews,integration,and their alternatives.features,products

Cons

we'll see whatever customer get problems we fixed as soon as possible(cloud computing,integration,reviews,comparison,features,alternatives

Clint from Admiral Express Office Supply

Industry: Business Supplies and Equipment

Convenient, saves time and money

Pros

We moved our phone server to Ec2. Was easy to set up with no real training. Could it be easier? Yes but overall still pretty easy to provision new servers. There's so much flexibility and I love the feature that allows you to predict what your monthly expenses will be. Never been a minute of down time yet.

Cons

Only thing I can say negative is that I feel the vpn pricing is a bit high. Could be more competitively priced. Also it can be cumbersome to figure out where your server is at until you get on the right geographical location.

Brendan

May 2016

Mukando

May 2016

August 2015

Brendan from University Beyond Inc.

August 2015