• Pros

• "A very user friendly interface. easy to navigate and setup"

• "EC2 is so easy to set up. It doesn't require any thought to what is happening "behind the scenes"."

• "I love how simple and quick it is to get instances up and running. With our AMIs I can spin up a new instance in a matter of seconds."

• Cons

• "It is an easy-to-use tool for basic use, however for something more specific it is really complex, the most difficult to learn to use is the console, it has many commands."

• "This tool works very well so finding faults as such is difficult, the only drawback is that locating a support team directly can be complicated but it is not impossible."

• "For newbies, it can create confusion as EC2 has so many features and tools. Although they have provided documentation and also youtube tutorials are available, one can benefit from the same."

Browse Amazon EC2 Reviews

Carlos Alberto from Tarsio SAS

Experience to grow

I have been able to solve many types of problems, from simple hostings, to applications that have grown and needed to scale. The configurations are simple for the most part, and you can really grow without the need for large expenses or investments of time in implementing astronomical solutions.

Pros

I think the whole EC2 environment is impressive, the set of tools allows for implementations of all kinds and on the scale that is necessary. Currently there are many configuration options, the user interfaces have improved making the use fluid and very easy to understand. All the implementations that I have had to carry out have been fast and the integrations with the existing resources have not been a problem.

Cons

In my case, I would like to have some extra tool available to manage the operating system of the instances.

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

The price commands many times, but in this case the amount of options and possibilities offered by the platform.

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

Poor support and few tools

Very good cloud service to host application servers!

Amazon EC2 has allowed us to host our application server very quickly and easily without worrying about the setup process and security measures, as it takes care of that. Amazon EC2 also has a lot of services for server monitoring and the ability to scale up or scale down servers when required which reduces operational costs as we only scale up when there is heavy load & scale down otherwise only paying for what we use. I am happy with Amazon EC2

Pros

Amazon EC2 has a wide variety of instances with various operating systems and hardware options to choose from, this ensures that we are able to select the server we need and have to pay only for that which helps in cost saving. It has options to interact with the server via application libraries, command line terminal & its dashboard which helps in managing the server. Amazon AWS also has other products that integrate really well and easily with Amazon EC2 making it the go-to choice for hosting application servers.

Cons

Amazon EC2 has a learning curve that a beginner may find difficult to grasp easily & quickly also its dashboard user interface is quite complex with a lot of options and it is easy for someone to get confused and overwhelmed by it.

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

The variety of services offered by Amazon is much greater and the fact that it has a very wide user community

Greg from Authwave

I was forced to leave after 6 years of happy use

What AWS don't tell you is that on top of your EC2 cost comes a whole range of other hidden costs. Costs that only creep up after you've been using the product for a long time. Almost as if it has been designed this way. Specifically, I ran into trouble with CPU and Disk IO credits. This is not a thing on any other platform. EC2 allows you to "burst" your processing power or disk read/write speed. This is done automatically with no control from the administrator. Once the tokens run out, which is seemingly incalculable, the servers crash. The only way to keep the servers up is to keep spending more money by increasing the tokens (by raising the capacity), even though I didn't need the extra capacity. My servers are running perfectly on another provider now, on the lowest capacity instances, with no concept of "tokens" to worry about.

Pros

Cons

It doesn't require any thought to what is happening "behind the scenes". When something breaks, you're on your own (without a minimum $2,000/mo support contract). AWS slowly increase the cost of associated tech with no way to understand why.

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

There was a free tier and, on paper, the prices looked the best value.

Antonio from Tourdesk

The best solution for all your computational needs

We used it to host the web app we were developing, together with all other websites we were making for that business. We even hosted our newspaper website WordPress setup with Amazon. The developers were extremely happy with Amazon services and were in touch with people from Amazon who were amazingly nice whenever I interacted with them.

Pros

Whatever we needed, Amazon supported. They even had a Wordpress hosting environment that we could transfer our newspaper website to.

Cons

The price was not low as we had a need for a large number of machines and the amounts quickly added up, but it was still manageable.

Extensible with Plentiful Integrations

EC2 gives us the ability to automate a lot of our infrastructure installations. Along with the ability to bid on spot machines to make our server costs low.

Pros

Amazon EC2 handles a lot of our server infrastructure and has in incredible amount of features to help deploy our products in a fast and scaleable fashion. Having integrations with other software allows us to use EC2 in an automated simple "key-turn" clusters.

Cons

The thing a least like about EC2 is how rigid creating resources are. Editing things like machine sizes, flavors, and such is not as intuitive. Along with having different sections/consoles for managing instance configurations like networks or security groups.

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

EC2 had the most stable APIs at the time and seemed more mature than other cloud offerings.

Francis from Heritage Bank

AWS EC2 review

Easy to launch an EC2 instance into different subnets and regions

Pros

A very user friendly interface. easy to navigate and setup

Cons

The free tier eligible instance is just 1gb ram. cant really do much with it

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

It seema to have the most user friendly dashboard

Aakash from Defynance

Great way to deploy products online.

It's a very mature tool from aws and because of that, its easy to find solutions very easily on online communities. You can integrate ec2 very easily with other AWS tools.

Pros

The AWS ec2 instance is a great cloud platform. It helps you to easily deploy your application, scale up and down based on traffic as per your requirement with no additional cost. AWS also provides free EC2 instances, they very good for POC.

Cons

The dashboard interface is complex, and a little overwhelming for beginners.

Juan Carlos from Empower Data

Your computer on the cloud

Very good option for cloud computing i recomend it to anyone but you should be ready to read everything to avoid unnecesary costs.

Pros

Easy to setup any machine needed in your enterprise Capable of setup specific images and replicate them several times. Compatible with most OS in te market Windows ,linux ,etc. several prize options. Several hardware options and can be scaled anytime

Cons

We have an issue with incorrect setup of elastic ip of a computed and it cost us like 250 Dollars for unsetup static ip.

EC2 - a great cloud offering

Overall I'm really pleased with AWS in general, from EC2 instances to s3 storage, to all the other services they offer. Its a great cloud option.

Pros

AWS EC2 offering is a great option for utilizing "the cloud", it's one of the best cloud options I've used on many levels

Cons

For me there was a slight learning curve to the command line interface, but thats to be expected, all the cloud providers would have this learning curve.

Great software

Amazing experience. I really like their customer service, they are great and very very helpful.

Pros

Very convenient, very good. I really like their customer service, they are great and very very helpful.

Cons

A little bit expensive. It costs a lot of money, and you really need your company to pay for you. I am very lucky to have it covered using my company's account.

Joel from OneStrand

The Standard for Cloud Computing

Pros

The ability to spool up a server in a few minutes has always blown my mind. I had a recent server failure that resulted in me spooling up a new server to replace it. I was able to get the job done in under two hours. It would have been much faster than that if I had done it before, but there was some learning required in the process. I've documented the process, so the next time this happens, I will be able to get back up and running in minutes. Having been in IT my whole life, this ability is quite amazing. It was the stuff of dreams over a decade ago and now I get to live it out. There are way too many good things to say about EC2. I can have multiple servers spread across the world so I can service my customers locally, instead of them having to traverse continents and oceans to hit up a server. I can attach and detach storage so I can start working from where I last started. The list goes on and on. I want to say that there is a plethora of helpful information available to those who need support. The Amazon support information is great as well as YouTube and other informational sites. If you're Google-Fu is up to date, you can get the help you need without having to pick up the phone.

Cons

The biggest con to EC2 is the shear vastness of features, tools, and functionality. For people who are new and want to start off, there is not an easy or simple "get started here" path that I have found. There is so much to learn, and so much you will never know, that getting some help at the beginning should really be considered.

Sophia from Virtusa

The most elastic platform available.

I never had problems with this platform, it is really very complete and useful, it has an extremely high level of security, it also integrates very easily and natively with other aws tools, it is a wonderful multipurpose tool, which can be used with or without the other tools of aws.

Pros

This tool is extremely versatile, serves as a vps, and as a base instance for many other aws tools, it allows me to connect to external aws platforms simply, it has a high level of configuration, customization and security. I can specifically choose each hardware component that is needed according to the needs of the projects, and the platform is ready to use in a few minutes, in addition to having a very extensive configuration panel, with many configurations, in addition to a console, which allows Work through commands directly, without opening the instance, its download and upload speed is very high and quite stable.

Cons

It is difficult for me to think of a negative aspect on this platform, however, what must be taken into account is that it is a fairly complete and complex tool to use, so the learning curve is quite steep.

Caroline from Sage

Simple access and no maintenance cost

Amazon EC2 has made it possible to carry out the implementation of services or applications in the cloud, thus saving time and money and being able to please any customer with their needs and all for a really fair price.

Pros

This Amazon tool is really useful since it has great advantages that is why I like it for several reasons being the main one that is extremely flexible, easy to use, easy to access, requires no maintenance and only pays for what is used, account with an interface that is very intuitive in addition to that in case of having doubts about it provides tutorials or a really compressible documentation so there is no way of not being able to understand its use, also it can be customized to cover each one of the needs that search the user thus being able to host any application, or web service of business or personal interest.

Cons

David from Geeks-r-Us, Inc.

Scalable, Affordable, and Reliable: Amazon EC2 is Still my Go-To Cloud Server Solution

Pros

AWS makes it easy to spin up a server in almost any size/performance combo needed, so you don't have to overbuy CPU capacity, etc. Pick from the thousands of pre-loaded servers or "roll your own" with many flavours of Linux and Windows available. I like that I can prototype a project on a small (as in cheap) server and then scale up to whatever size or number of servers is needed. Taking drive snapshots while live is easy and makes brain dead simple backups. In 10+ years of Amazon EC2 use, I've never lost a server or virtual drive.

Cons

The number of pre-done server combos is in the thousands, and an easier system for searching and finding server images and selecting server settings would be a plus.

Nathan from Dotcom Zambia

Cloud Computing at its best with a catch

Pros

Server Deployment is easy - We use Amazon EC2 for deploying cloud servers for our applications. We have been able to easily deploy multiple configurations from the panel at the click of a button. Y Built on Linux - EC2 is built on Linux so if you have an understanding of Linux, it makes using EC2 easier. Cost effective. You really can't beat the cost here, being able to scale at a fraction of the cost of hosting an actual server is worth investing in EC2. You can easily turn off instances of EC2 servers when not in use to save money. Reliability - Amazon servers have extremely good uptimes which means they are working most of the time, in fact, we have not experienced any downtime since we switched from a fixed host provider.

Cons

As with any platform, learning to use Amazon EC2 can take some time. We had to have our team re-trained to start using it. So it is not ideal if you just want to deploy right away. Also AWS services are complicated to use in general so you may find it confusing use. For example, the billing panel can be confusing to use if you have multiple instances of servers running. Because of the complicated nature of the Admin panel, it is easy to get lost in features and tools available, so you are better off staying within the areas of the admin area you know.

EC2 decreases significant amount of time to go live!

We are using EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk for our large web application with both Tomcat and Nodejs apps. It is being scaled when the traffic increases and scales up very efficiently. Yet, it is being expensive but it provides us to focus on development instead of maintenance.

Pros

Amazon EC2 has broad choices of setup and configuration depending on your budget. It provides you a lot that you nearly dont need to maintain the instance at all. It also provides you load balancers that you can use it with and you can be sure that your application will scale when needed. If you are using the EC2 with Elastic Beanstalk it will be very easy to deploy and go live.

Cons

It is an expensive service full plus. But you can consider that you are not going to need that much of maintenance power so you can decrease your cost by looking from that perspective.

Ryan from Sunrise Communications

Amazon EC2

Pros

Servers of almost any size in minutes. Change the specs up or down, in seconds with no penalties. Geographically redundant

Cons

It seems like EC2,and AWS in general, is geared to be used ONLY by developers. A lot of their tools and utilities can only be used via cli or api. While i understand most of it is to aid in development of applications of many varieties, there are a few basic tasks ive come across that should have been fairly simple to do, nut i had to write an entire program myself to make it work. Not everyone who uses AWS services are coders. Make it a bit easier for the rest of us. Documentation can also be a bit spotty, but its pretty good overall.

Winston from GlobalSoft Solutions Inc

A great choice for scalable projects.

My experience in general with this software has been very positive, it has served me for different types of projects, and even projects outside of aws, since the tool can be easily integrated with other sources, be it other websites, databases, computers, etc. It also integrates very well with the other tools of aws.

Pros

What I like most about Amazon EC2 is that it is a tool that has many uses is very versatile and allows me to customize the requirements that I need according to the project that I am developing, I can increase the amount of ram, hdd, processor memory easily from the website, it also has a high level of security, and allows you to manually configure many functions, such as ports, tasks, the control panel from the website is very intuitive and with many features, it also has a command line for more cases specific.

September 2015

September 2015

Very convenient, saves a lot of time and money

My company has switched to EC2 for a variety of our servers. Being able to offload the infrastructure work to AWS saves us a lot of time and hassle with our IT department, and It has been incredibly convenient to be able to template servers with a single click, and bring up additional boxes for testing or debugging, and just delete them whenever we're done. In fact, with no real training on the product, I was able to get a full stack of servers up and running in under an hour. Doing this in house sometimes takes weeks of meetings and back and forth between departments.

Pros

Low cost, highly customizable to any configuration. A variety of operating systems are averrable and can be bought up at the click of a button. Third party software is also available through amazon marketplace, and most tools can be licensed through AWS and even come preinstalled and preconfigured on EC2 images. It makes building a scalable, high availability architecture an almost trivial task.

Cons

Monitoring - AWS offers cloud watch monitoring for EC2 instances, but we still found ourselves reaching out to a third party vendor for a true APM solution for the software running on our EC2 instances. It would be great if we could define what makes our app available to an end user and get reports with an availability percentage and aped score at the end of each month to hand to a client and ensure them that we're meeting our SLA. Right now, we have to go to New Relic for this, which is quite expensive.

Ben from Top Floor Technologies

Immediate access to unlimited server computing potential

Pros

EC2 is an incredible service offering unlimited computing power for any server applications, and best of all offering it 24/7 at the drop of a hat. Scale up or down automatically with elastic load balancers. Assign reusable, dedicated IPs. Create images quickly for use in duplicating servers.

Cons

The interface is complex and not very intuitive. Pricing can be hard to understand or calculate ahead of time. Amazon support isn't readily available without paying a premium for it.

Simple cloud virtual machine hosting

EC2 has provided me with excellent, low-cost VM hosting in the cloud for many years

Pros

EC2 is a game-changing technology that enables you to rapidly spin up a virtual machine in the cloud at very low cost

Cons

Compared to newer on-demand hosting options, the EC2 model is less flexible

Reasons for Switching to Amazon EC2

Easy to spin up new virtual machines on-demand and scale-out rapidly

EC2 makes it simple to spin up hardware on demand

Really it's difficult to remember a time before EC2, getting a new hardware instance was typically weeks or months of effort, now it can be done in seconds.

Pros

Cons

Amazon has a massive feature set, but it is a little more technically focused than some of the competition, which can make the barrier to entry a little higher.

Ashish from Wipro Limited

Awesome hosting provider!

At present, I am hosting 2 websites on EC2 and I am quite happy with the experience. I will recommend it to other users.

Pros

First and foremost feature is its Low cost. It is very cheap to host service on EC2. You can easily integrate your service from EC2 with Simple mail service(Email Service of Amazon) and S3 (Cloud Storage). It is very easy to start and stop a container in the EC2. You can directly control and check for the amount you are spending in EC2. They have 24*7 Customer service which comes handy in case of any outrage.

One of the best IaaS

I use it for my personal projects. I host all my websites on it. We also use it at work. All of our company's servers are on AWS.

Pros

1. The ease of use. With in few clicks and configurations, you get a server up and running. 2. Stability. I have never seen a down time/failure of any of my EC2 instances. 3. Saving of money. You only pay what you need and you can easily configure what you need. Saves ton of money.

Cons

There is nothing I can say I do not like. Everything of EC2 has been working great.

Great scalability and less maintenance costs

Pros

Amazon EC2 provides full control of virtual servers to you and it is very suitable if your application process very large amount of data. EC2 provides great scalability which does not cause any connection problems while scaling. It has great documentation and API. I have never faced any instance failure and efforts of maintenance is very less against dedicated servers.

Cons

I think Amazon should add console access directly.

Daniel from MasterControl

Great for spinning up instances of our site

We use it as a development team to spin up servers and build instances of our software for testing purposes.

Pros

Amazon EC2 is a convenient way to spin up an instance of a site for testing purposes by basically mimicking the installation and configuration that you would have on a computer.

Cons

I would be nice if the overall process could be a little less painful to set up and to integrate. But overall I think it works really well.

Really easy to use and "just works"

Pros

It's really easy to set up and interact with an EC2 instance. You don't need to worry about everything related to setting up a server - just a few clicks and then you can move on to the specifics of your own application. And you can easily increase or decrease the size of an instance. Computing time is cheap as well.

Cons

As with some other AWS services, the UI feels a bit clunky and dated. Some of the functionality is a little hard to use.

Yogesh from Amity School of Engineering and Technology

Amazon EC2 is great service for virtual Machine

The overall experience is very good. Very good documentation is provided by Amazon. It is very easy to create a Virtual machine on EC2. Security provided by Amazon is also very good.

Pros

Amazon EC2 is a very great product I used. I used an EC2 instance for web server creation. It is very simple to use. It's very easy to create a Linux instance on EC2.

Cons

I am thinking that the pricing of EC2 is a little bit expensive.

Anastasia from Intermedia

Reliable cloud server

It is a good cloud information store. It is stable and reliable.

Pros

I can use it to store different kind of information, including a personal one. The cloud server makes it easier to control your computer resources.

Cons

Interface is a bit complicated for new users. I am used to more intiutive interfaces, probably. Pricing plans coould be more flexible.

Les from ocean

pretty good for tech heads

Pros

Extremely customizable ... you can set it up virtually any way you like to with virtually any operating system. Get your automated deployment system working in conjunction with this and you are set.

Cons

you have to figure it out for yourself. The tutorials are quite dense and the cusomizability makes it complex. Everything is an option with choices that you may not understand or be aware of.

April 2016

David from Barricade.io

April 2016

Amazon EC2

We've been using Amazon EC2 for years and the way it allows us to buy high computing requirements without having to make an upfront investment as we're prototyping is really useful. You still need to know your way around servers, automation, security, etc but it's very useful.

Pros

Understanding how to deploy for the cloud is essential. Once you know how to do it, you can easily end up with an extremely resilient infrastructure which would have typically required a large investment.

Cons

To use and automate your infrastructure as well as use the other associated products, you will need to be quite advanced in computing technologies.

Victor

Good quality machine with room for improvement.

Pros

Pretty easy to use. Wide documentation is available in case you get stuck somewhere. And good quality machines.

Cons

For some reason, the p3.16xlarge (8 tesla v100 GPUs) machine is outperformed by p3.8xlarge machine (4 tesla v100 GPUs) (tested on multiple GPU supported model). I was using it for ML training and p3.8xlarge was taking 27 to 28 seconds for an epoch where p3.16xlarge was taking 31 to 32 seconds for an epoch even though it is a larger machine !!!!!! It has twice computing power on paper but that does not reflect in actual performance. I am not sure what might be the reason but paying twice but slower machine does not make any sence. I hope they will fix this soon.

Best compute service on the planet

Pros

1) wide variety in options - compute optimized, memory optimized, network optimized instances 2) wide variety in pricing options - ondemand instances, spot instances, reserved instances, dedicated instances 3) easy to use and administer 4) corse monitoring and fine grain monitoring available 5) integrates seamlessly with other AWS services

Cons

Default limit is 20 instances per region. It could be high for small micro instances. The good news is that you can submit a request for more resources.

Aysan from Accenture

Very cost efficient computing power

Overall I think EC2 is a very good option in today cloud market however Azure also has very competitive VMs

Pros

It is very reasonably priced and comes with very good variations. It includes different operation systems and hardware settings that users can choose based on their needs.

Cons

It provides many options which could be confusing if users are not sure what they need. It would be nice if it has a recommendation engine to recommend an EC2 instance based on some questions and answers with the users.

Strongest compute capabilities for develoeprs

Pros

Incredibly easy to get started, great user community, lots of online blog and forum help, relatively well priced.

Cons

A little simplistic and lacks major enterprise features that any large company should look for when purchasing compute.

om from techno india hoogly

review for amazon EC2 cloud service

I like this tool for a numbers of reason but one of most import of it ecofriendly nature as being a computer science student I need to be store in right place so the tool like EC2 cloud is very much helpful for that also any one can learn cloud computing deafly from there about it performance , uses , and also it is one of the trending topics.

Pros

The most important and likely feature of E.C2 cloud i.e. developed by amazon it is a great tool for us to cloud storage as we living in a digital era were everybody want to store there private data in a save space like cloud

Cons

It need much knowledge of cloud computing and data to operate it.

Reasons for Choosing Amazon EC2

As it is more easy to understand

Best provider for vps service

The best service and product for servers online, easy to maintain and monitor.

Pros

Amazon services for new and existing virtual private service. Easy to start new server online in few clicks. You can shut down and start servers in few clicks and easy to add or remove computer features.

Cons

I think its the best service you can get for vps services. Its so easy to run some servers online in few clicks and run tests on it.

Umair Ali from Pak Suzuki Motor Company

A comprehensive platform with great support.

it is has a comprehensive solutions for many types of scenarios and the support is also very quick and responsive in helping you all the time.

Pros

it has easy to use user interface. it is very simple to select and setup a Virtual machine if you know all the requirements. the types of available machines are more than enough for any kind of usage. the free trial version is also more than enough to test the platforms capabilities.

Cons

the cost of basic machines are fine but the cost grows very quickly as you get to higher end machines and some of them are very expensive.

Not a great software package for providing cloud storage services.

We have implemented in a project in which we process the data every hour and the client requires to review it hourly for this we used this and we had an average experience with it not good that much and nor bad with it.

Pros

1) We do not require huge memory base for storing our data on cloud storage. 2)Its data processing speed is very fast and accurate. 3)Its cost is also not that much high.

Cons

1) Sometimes it gets into deadlock state from which itself restarts it and we have seen the erasing of the data.

Cloud solution that works with VMware

Pros

Amazon has made some new annoncement with Vmware about more integration between VMware solution and Vmware solution. Now AMAZON RDS are now available on premise with VMware and inside Amazon. VMware solution like NSX and kubernetes are now fully compatible. Amazon offer some great solutions for IAAS, CAAS , SAAS. you need it they ve got it.

Cons

Amazon can be complex because of the large offering they provide. It can be difficult to use amazon calculator for new app because network traffic is not easy to evaluate (you pay for outgoing and ingoing traffic).

Patrick

Very Impressive Dynamic Platform

I have been using the Amazon EC2 web services since they deployed it several years ago and I have to admit Amazon is leading not only in the online retail goods sales space but they are now encroaching upon the online cloud space which is very ubiquitous in 2016.

Pros

Let's be honest, everyone from Google, Apple to Dropbox is attempting to capture this market. I've been extremely impressed with Amazon's open source integration into virtually all other services especially e-commerce which is why I recommend this app.

Cons

Gosh, I have to admit there really haven't been any Cons in my opinion which is why I recommend this app.

Joseph J. K. from West Michigan Massage Therapy

Amazon EC2 - The original in cloud computing

Pros

EC2 is simple (in concept), scalable, cost-effective and comes with the latest in features, software, and administration tools. Great documentation and useful community.

Cons

It is a complex product in implementation. And can get expensive if you don't know what you are doing!

john from hopsital

happy

Pros

That the software has great priced items

Cons

that some products have long delivery time

Bendegúz from Magyar TelekomNyrt.

Aws

I could use it for that that I wanted to I like I can find every virtual services in one place

Pros

I could running a Linux which did not have any limit. I mean it allowed my to install the necessarily packets and programs

Cons

The ssh connection is always broke down and complicate firewall punch.

Excellent!

Pros

this is a great tool to use for renting virtual computers

Cons

nothing that comes to mind; excellent app

Leon from Translation Exchange, Inc

Industry: Translation and Localization

Jói from CrankWheel

Matt from Vision Creative Group

Tim from Avaya

good APP

Pros

Amazon EC2 is a very good App. It is super easy to deploy your solution in the cloud. It offers plenty of features.

Cons

The price is a little high. It requires some learning curve to be familiar with all the features to use.