• Pros

• "I love how simple the user interface is in XMind, once you've learned a few simple principles, it makes it very simple to get your ideas quickly onto the page"

• "Very easy to draw my mindmap, can make an isolated spot and decide whether we want to link to any idea or just standalone in that topic issue as well. "

• "It is super quick and easy to start and built out a mind map and with the new Zen version you can create even better looking versions of mind maps which can be client facing. "

• Cons

• "Not too many cons here as the tool is feature rich, larger files can take a bit to load and print options are not the greatest but I see this as more of a tool for sharing on computers."

• "It would be great to see more advanced options in project management controlling area and maybe cooperation with MS Excel as data source."

• "Would love to see a free cloud-based version of this (vs only a desktop app)."

Browse XMind Reviews

Julian from JulianTalbot.com

Industry: Publishing

Great package for mind-mapping and planning your work

I use it for mind-mapping my articles, presentations, and books. It's a powerful simple tool for that. And can form the basis of a great Prezi layout if you use the clip art. Mostly I like that it's a fast way for me to scope and think about an article or book. I typically use the 4MAT model (as originally developed by Bernice McCarthy in 1980) which creates a 4 way mind-map, starting with WHY in the top right quadrant then WHAT in the lower right, HOW in the lower left and continuing clockwise to create a branch about IF? in the top left quadrant. The WHY is all about "Why should people read/know/care about this?", then WHAT is it that I want them to know/do/feel, and HOW do they do this, then finally the IF? is all about What if? What if I (the reader) do this and it works or doesn't work? What if the next step is ... ? What if it everyone knew/did/felt this? 'What if?' is designed to stimulate the thinking processes based on the Why, What, How of the article/book/presentation. 4MAT is a good process and worth learning more about. I start with these 4 trees on the mind-map but the results can cover hundreds of branches as each branch stimulates new ideas. Sometimes I also use it for building models for presentations. Other times for organizational charts or taxonomies. And sometimes I just data-dump a brainstorm of ideas for whatever I'm working on. The clip art and ability to use straight or curved lines, and format text as I like helps for communication also.

Pros

I've trialled or used a lot of mind mapping software and this is the one that I stick with. Mostly because it has two big criteria that I look for: 1. Ease of use - fast and intuitive 2. Flexibility - I can use a range of shapes and even the included clip art or my own images. I love that it's also available on IOS devices but so far, have been content to use it mostly on my Mac. I'm using XMind 8 Update 8 Pro via a license with Setapp (a subscription service that aggregates 200+ apps for $10/mth). I use enough of the Setapp utilities and apps that Xmind is basically free for me and that's just another big plus.

Cons

Nothing to dislike really. It ticks all the boxes for me. If anything, my main gripe would be that it's not as well known as some other software so it took me a while to find it. It was via the Setapp subscription that I first found it but it is now also in the Apple App Store.

Josemaria from Maynilad Student Services

Full-featured Mindmap Tool

Xmind and Mindmapping (in general) is a must for everybody. It helps one to organize our brains that's full of ideas. It just comes out naturally as we connect nodes of concepts/ideas. Pro features are worth the price you pay for (e.g., brainstorming mode, presentation mode, gantt chart view). Sharing and backup is not a problem. And it allows you to sync across different devices (smartphone, laptop). The export feature is A+ as well. It allows for easy conversion to high-res images, to pdf, to freemind (other mindmap formats).

Pros

Xmind helps me organize my ideas into a mindmap that is easy to manage (add, remove, connect nodes). The presentation feature is very helpful whenever I use my mindmap as a storyboard outline during meetings. I likewise use this app for Project Management. All project elements are mapped out and there's even a feature to put checkboxes, brainstorming, and gantt chart view. The Windows version works flawlessly (scrolling etc.). For the Mac version, see below.

Cons

The Mac version still does not support smooth scrolling via Mouse/Touchpad. It makes it frustrating to navigate the mindmap. This has been reported a few years back, but still the same. Support/Dev team doesn't seem to be listening to public clamor.

Waqas from Education & Literacy Department

One choice of Mind Mappers

XMind is one of the best mind mapping software available in the market. It's user interface is nicely crafted and provide creation of end less possibilities in graphs, trees and many more.

Pros

One of the best and cheapest Mind Mapping Software available on the market. I'm using it to create mind maps to remember things and make plans for future or create plan for on going projects and tasks. I'm using the trail version as it has all the feature to create astonishing mind maps.

Cons

Price for cloud based license is bit high other than that it is one of the best mind mapping software available in the market. Latest XMind 2020 is not available for the desktop but you can by lifetime license for older version XMind 8 Pro in just $129 only.

Judith from Writing and Editing

Industry: Writing and Editing

XMIND and ME

I am using a free version, but I wish it would at least print my maps and in the direction and on the paper I want to use.

Pros

I like the ease of use. It is pretty intuitive.

Cons

I can't get my projects to print: 1. printing is very diffcult 2. i can't print my mind mind in the direction I want on paper.

Pawan from Self

Best of the many mind-mapping tools used

Pros

I've used many mind-mapping tools before I settled upon XMind. The fact that it was easier to use that another tool I had used in the past, and that it could convert my previous mind-maps into the XMind format was the reason I stuck to this tool.

Cons

I'm not sure if this is a "con" but it would be nice if mind-map formats could be used across tools, similar to the ODF standard. This would make it easier to evaluate tools using the same mind-map instead of recreating one from scratch.

Andrew from Amazing Business

Easy to use Mind Mapping

Use it for organising everything from work to planning my own projects.

Pros

Easy to set up and use with formats for different default mind maps. Easy to link to multiple sheets and set up larger and more complex maps.

Cons

Upgrade path and options for staying on previous version. Also having to have a subscription to export to other versions and other document types.

Very useful mind mapping visualisation

Really very good. Professional results with very little effort and it's easy to master the basics.

Pros

I used this when I was teaching to graphically illustrate the connections between branches of thought or to provide an easy to digest summary of key ideas under a given heading. My needs were simple and basic, but I cannot count how many students I recommended this to as a way to visually connect complex ideas. I've recommended it to staff, too, because of the ease of use. It's a fairly low angle learning curve, quite intuitive to use and quickly produces results that can be printed out easily.

Cons

There was nothing I didn't like for what I was doing. Highly recommended for teaching and students needing a way to neatly visualise.

Simisara from Fingent Technology Solutions

One of the most versatile tool to create quick mindmaps

Good tool in the price range offered. They have a trial version too. Ability to add notes via audio upload and hyperlink so that notes can be added to each nodes.

Pros

Easy to use with quick drag-drop options Prebuilt template to choose from Ability to share via various means like file upload, public link, etc.

Cons

When relationships are to be defined it auto populates another floating topic which has to be manually deleted, which makes it a bit slow to work with initially.

Simple mind maps for everyone

XMind allows me to get my thoughts on a particular topic down onto the page quickly and easily

Pros

Cons

There's nothing I really don't like. The only minor nitpick I have with it is that when you open the application, it defaults to creating a new mind map, when most of the time, I just want to open and edit an existing mind map.

Alejandro Javier from Villalon Engineering

Excellent to start planning any project

I love that you can visually express what you have and carry a project to be able to work with the client in the planning in a visual way.

Pros

Very easy to use Workflow is excellent Integration of your own illustrations to improve the idea You can express very complex ideas

Cons

Only limited to mind maps it would be great to be able to make other diagrams in the app Lack of escalation

Lots of features to like, but don't like pricing

I used to love XMind and recommend it to everyone, but since they introduced the subscription charges and stopped allowing people to upgrade from previous versions, unless it was the one immediately previous to the new version, I just had to call it a day. There are other tools around that are more affordable and don't require subscriptions.

Pros

Having used many mindmapping tools over the years I came to XMind expecting just more of the same. I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to the usual features you'd expect of a mindmapping tool it has a plethora of additional features, some of them unique to XMinds, which takes its usability to the next level. I particularly liked the ability to drill down into specific nodes of the mindmap and create additional sub-mindmaps using those nodes as the central point. That is so cool. I also liked the availability of a large number of flags and icons that could be easily added to a mindmap. Not only did this brighten things up, but it helped to color-code the map to match my particular needs.

Cons

There are two things I don't like about XMind. Firstly, I am a Mac user and XMind doesn'd do a good job of following the standard Mac user interface. It feels very much like a PC application that has been made to run on a Mac. This is a shame as it makes it a little clunky to use on a Mac I feel. Secondly, XMind has some weird pricing that seems to have change over the years. At one time I found it to be an affordable alternative to other tools such as Mindjet (which is stupidly expensive). Unfortunately, XMind seems to have complicated its offerings and for some of them gone down the subscription route, which I think is offensive for a desktop application that requires no online services or access. I don't rent cans of beans or chairs in my house, so I object to having to rent software.

Ricky from Dope Ish Since 1992 LLC

Mind mapping & Organizing At It’s Best!

Overall XMind has allowed to plan out my goals and strategize various campaigns with ease. Before using this software I would just keep ideas and plans in my head or write them down in an assortment of note books and loose paper. This approach worked for a while until I started misplacing and losing critical documents. Using XMind gives me the luxury of having all my rough ideas, plans, and strategies stored digitally on my computer, which I then can backup to various different sources for an added layer of protection.

Pros

What I liked most about this software is it’s ability for me to take my thoughts & ideas and organize them visually in way that makes achieving my personal or project goals and objectives more structured and easy to follow.

Cons

What I liked least about this software is the overall look and feel of the earlier versions that I was implementing before finally updating my software package. In my opinion the graphic user interface was very dated and reminded me of software programs released in the early 2000’s.

Reasons for Choosing XMind

I chose XMind over the alternative which was Mind8 for Windows because when compared tick for tack, XMind has way more useful features and is very easy to get up and running without wondering what this or that button does. Mind8 on the other hand lacks in features and ease of use.

Chuojun from University of Melbourne

XMind review by Tang

When I did the summary for the literature review, it helps me to understand the abstract concept of sociology literature by assisting to manage complex information. The biggest gain and improvement during reading is actually in this process from a confused mind to a clear mind, so XMind plays a significant role in my uni-study. Also, it comes in handy, it saves me a ton of time! It definitely helps to enrich the presentation of my mind map and make it more vivid and intuitive than the ones I did on papers. I really recommend XMind for those who just on the way of learning mind mapping!

Pros

The interface of XMind is simple so it is very easy to get started, it comes in handy with keyboard shortcuts that’s what I like most about Xmind. Allowing users to capture their ideas freely in a handy way and express intuitively is extremely important for a mind mapping software, and XMind makes it! I like those makers and the colour coding support features, which really assists to identify and classify information. I like its brainstorming mode as well because this makes my group assignment meeting more effective. Also, it supports multiple platforms and I can export the mind maps into Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, PDF documents. This enables users to share their mind maps with others and promote team collaboration.

Cons

When it comes to what I like least about XMind, there is actually little problems. The first one is that I can not add more marker in one topic and the second is that I can not move those main topics very freely. What’s more, I suppose the branch customization(such as line width) can be improved or more choices for different nodes. The startup speed is a bit slow, sometimes it would freeze, it would be good if this can be improved.

Clarwin from University of Asia and the Pacific

Perfect for Brainstorming and Organizing Ideas

xMind is a very useful application for brainstorming, organizing, and connecting ideas. Great ideas happen all the time inside your marvelous brain. But often and rather very quickly, these ideas fly away and are forgotten. Pen and paper works, but a digital version of mindmapping will help a lot with extra features (e.g., auto-arrange, backup, themes, gantt-chart view, presentation, easy sharing, etc.)

Pros

Mindmapping helps me to be creative, to organize and connect my ideas into an easily readable format. xMind has been my go-to mindmapping software for this. I'm using version 8, and it has a much better UI (than other similar apps). The Pro features like Gantt-Chart helps me to use it for Project Implementations. The Walk-through (Presentation Mode) is great for presentation during meetings. It also allows to export to multiple formats like Jpg, pdf, etc. Also, backup using xMind Cloud works great for backup and easy sharing. There are many pre-installed themes to make your mindmaps look formal or fun, or colorful, etc. There are similar apps which are Cloud-based, but I prefer to have xMind, which is installed locally and available for use offline (since I'm not always connected to the Internet).

Cons

I'm using xMind on a Macbook, but it seems that up to now, smooth scrolling is not yet fixed by their devs. This has been brought up since 2014 (you may Google it) but still not supported. It's a shame because for me, Mac has the best touch pad/scrolling. On the other hand, I've used xMind in Windows and it scrolls smoothly using the trackpad/mouse with no problems.

XMind is more than just a mind mapping tool. It's everything I need in a productivity tool.

XMind is very good tool with self explanatory UI. With the complete set of templates for various requirements, presentation mode to have a brainstorm session with the team, gantt chart mode for project management (just like Microsoft Project), embedding picture/audio/attachment in the node, export to pdf or image, It really helps me to complete my daily job in gathering requirements, discussion with the team, brainstorming, presentation and project management. I only wish that the mobile version is provided without subscription fee when we have purchased the desktop version.

Pros

This application runs cross platforms. It works on my Mac, Windows machine also mobile devices. It has different kind of templates (mind map, org chart, logic chart, design, presentation mode, gantt chart mode for project management). What I like the most is I can also use it as a brainstorming tool for the development work as I can drop the node freely anywhere by clicking on the empty space. I can also easily add the flexible connection arrow between nodes. It also provide the export functionality to different type of files such as image, PDF and html.

Cons

The performance of the startup is very slow. It may take minutes sometime to load the application. Because of this, everytime I start my computer, I need to make sure I open the application to have it standby all the time.

Lucas from freelance proofreader

Industry: Writing and Editing

Mind mapping should be taken more seriously. This is the mobile tool for learning and applying it

Pros

Mind mapping is a very powerful tool for learning, as it allows me to put my thoughts on paper and actually see complex relations I am making when thinking, but otherwise would not be able to focus on minutiae of the topics because of the need to "sustain" the structure of the train-of-thought on the back of my mind. XMind is the first app for Android that meets the criteria of having all the tiny functions I need to put the thought down exactly as I had it in my mind, and eventually find loopholes and points where a reasoning is weak. This app can be very helpful for someone to find bad habits of thought and biases one has, as they become move evident when placed somewhere that can be analyzed or shared. Mind mapping education should be mandatory for any researcher, writer or public speaker, and this is the most complete tool for mind mappin I found on mobile Also, this app can be used both on PC and Android and is the best mind map creator I have found for the latter (I have tried a few before).

Cons

A feature that should be added (I recognize it might not be easy) is automatic synchronization between different platforms. However, the effort of the development team is evident, by the amount of resources available

Alvaro from Maynilad Water Services, Inc.

Industry: Utilities

Native App for Mindmapping

Mind mapping tools abound. Xmind is my preferred native mind mapping application for its feature set, ease of use for brainstorming, organizing ideas, and even project management.

Pros

I've used XMind for quite some years now and I have seen how much it has matured and the devs keep on refining and adding new features to it. 1. Presentation Mode - I find using Xmind easy for presentations in terms of navigation, options for branch/child expand/collapse or even the focus/blur. 2. Brainstorming Mode - I really love this new feature which helps me and my team to focus on bringing as many ideas as possible without filtering. Xmind facilitates capturing all these ideas into digital form. 3. Xmind Zen is a complete re-write of the Xmind main app. And it is more responsive and modern.

Cons

I wish they would consider my suggestion to save up and maximize screen real estate. The Top and Sidebars take so much space. Also, the icons tend to be too pixelated when zoomed in.

Nichole from Centurion Medical Products

Quick, simple, easy to understand

I can illustrate complex processes quickly in a short amount of time. When I show my mindmaps to coworkers they're impressed and can easily understand the concept I'm trying to get across, which is a timesaver when we're trying to brainstorm the process behind a complicated project.

Pros

I like being able to illustrate complex processes quickly and simply. I use XMind often when brainstorming how to complete a project or show visually how a process works to my coworkers. It's easy to learn, and even the free version gives us enough options that it meets our needs. I was introduced to mindmapping by a coworker a couple of years ago, which is how I found XMind, and have used it frequently ever since.

Cons

Sometimes the layout of the tree you make can look a little strange and there's no way to change it. I wish we had a little more control over the spacing between the boxes and the lines connecting them, as sometimes a box can hang out too far or too close in your tree, and that can make things a little less visually appealing, but overall I don't have any major complaints.

Edo from MODUN CONSULTING, obrt

Industry: Biotechnology

Fantastic software for mind maps, diagrams and simple info-graphic solutions

This software can be used by any sized company. User interface is simple, clean and easy to understand and master it in short period of time. Plenty of options give opportunity for different level of design (from simple diagrams to relatively challenging info-graphics).

Pros

This version of XMIND (v8 update 4) is a fantastic solution for: - mind mapping, - diagrams of different kind, - info-graphics User interface is a nice, clean with adequate number of icons (options) in toolbars (horizontal and vertical) and only one menu bar . Most of options are always available during work and can be accessed immediately when needed. And there are plenty of options. OUTLINE - is full of options, with different filters. TOPIC FORMAT - many options are available (there is place to improve) CLIP ART / ICON FINDER - plenty of media to choose from MARKERS - are made nicely, with several options to choose from THEMES - are nice (there is place to improve) NOTES - are linked to topics, nice feature COMMENTS - are similar to notes but with time when inserted, also linked to topic TASK INFO - sometimes can be of use.

Cons

This program, on my PC (WIN10, 4 Gb RAM), is very slow in some operations, especially loading. Cloud operations can be better defined.

David from Christians Alliance

Easy-to-use mind mapping software

I work in program design in the non-profit world. A lot of times this means I need to start from scratch when designing a program. I literally need to gather disparate thoughts and build them into a cohesive whole. Mind map software like Xmind makes this process so much easier by allowing me to visualize what is in my head. Xmind is easy to use and that is what makes it great. The last thing I want to do when starting a large program is learn how to use complex software. I would say 90% of the buttons in the software can be accessed through a right click of the mouse. So convenient!

Pros

I love the ability to right click any of the boxes within my mind map diagram and can quickly change its color, font style, or even change the chart style (wishbone, descending tree). Not having to sift through multiple menus to accomplish these relatively important and repetitive tasks is amazing.

Cons

Some of the most important features, such as sharing the Mind map with others over the internet, are not available with the free version. This is a little disappointing, however understandable. The company wants to motivate you to purchase the full software.

Performance & Reliability woes

Pros

It's a desktop application! This is a boon with the current cult-of-the-cloud (AKA someone else's computer). You can use it offline and navigate&edit quickly with keyboard shortcuts. Fast to use (until you want to save!)

Cons

Performance is a nightmare. The minute you mind maps have any scale they start to take >1minute to save. I have a high-powered Win 10 machine with 24GB of ram and it makes no noticable difference compared to my laptop. This is a problem if you want to save often as It crashes. As the mind maps get larger, xmind tends to crash more often which means you get paranoid about loosing work and have to save more often. When it takes 2mins after a CTRL+S it really takes you out of your flow Newer version are subscription based! Such a shame.

Paphunkkorn from BREEDER CARE CO., LTD.

If you need the Easy Drawing Your Mindmap, XMind is one good option

I can easier manage my fishbone ideas and setting them up in printed paper for sharing with our staff

Pros

Cons

After their last took away the Cloud Platform... It is totally like a robbed buyer, as there is nothing to replace for us. Become a lesser feature since then. They almost a be like a crossed platform, just sometimes there are some Alien Text or different paragraphing issue when you open them on Both Mac and Windows :(

Reasons for Choosing XMind

During those time Crossed Platform is my main decision and their former exist Cloud Server for the user is another key changer

Reasons for Switching to XMind

No crossed platform since I have both Mac and Windows

David from Aboitiz Group of Companies

Industry: Investment Management

Free your mind from all the clutter

Pros

Mind mapping in general is great way of unleashing the power of our brains! XMind is just a wonderful and easy-to-use software that can facilitate this work. It comes with all the useful features like auto-arrange, adding comments, icons, and it comes with many user templates to begin with. XMind can import your mindmaps to several formats (freemind, pdf, png/jpg, etc). I also love the brainstorming mode, and the presentation mode which I've frequently used for business meetings.

Cons

Too sad that XMind Cloud closed down. But it's ok since I can just save my xmind files on my shared drive. Also, the icons get easily pixelated when the mindmap is zoomed in or when printing in larger scale.

Beautiful and useful mind mapping tool

Pros

XMind lets you create powerful mindmaps. Default styles for the templates are pretty beautiful, and the software is easy to use. You can use different layouts to show different information (not only classical mindmaps, but org chart and lists too), and even combine them. You can save the maps locally or in the cloud. There are now two versions of the software, a buyable one that does not look like it will have lots of updates, and the subscription one.

Cons

The software can be slow sometimes if you use big files or have a medium-old computer. The mobile apps are not as intuitive as the desktop apps, but that is something to expect du to the device limitations.

Andy from Achieve3000

Mind Mapping Made Easy

I've tried a variety of mind mapping products and none of them hold a candle to Xmind. Part of a very specific niche of software, Xmind's most powerful attribute is its simplicity. It doesn't try to do too much and what it does it does very well!!

Pros

I've used XMind for the better part of 5 years and it works exactly as intended. I've used it for everything from setting up website information architecture to mapping out org charts for the business. It's super intuitive and easy to use, with built in templates to help make development a snap. There are a variety of uses and XMind does a great job of illustrating the possibilities through their templates and tutorials.

Cons

XMind features 'drag and drop' technology that allows users to rearrange secondary and tertiary items as needed after creation. While a great concept in theory, the functionality can be a bit clunky at times, not allowing the user to drop the item in the desired location. The user interface makes building and modifying mind maps easy but it isn't the most attractive thing to look at - it could use a refresh and some modernization.

Jorden from Bodies By Bench LLC

Excellent Mind Mapping Tool for Brainstorming and Organizing Ideas!

Pros

XMind is simple, intuitive and easy to use. It has a lot of features that will let your mind map look and feel the way you want it to. You have access to pre-installed themes which can make your maps look really neat. You can have xmind stored locally on your computer or the cloud. I like how they give you the option to do so. I love how they have included a Gnatt view which can let you see start and end dates, priority and progress of the tasks. You have the ability to export the mind maps to other formats but only for the paid versions.

Cons

Xmind has a free version and paid version. With the free version, you are limited to a few ways you can export the mind map. Which is expected as the paid version should give you all the features and the free should just give you a taste of what it can do. I think navigating around the mind map could be a little easier as I have seen other tools like MindMeister be able to navigate easier. Not a deal breaker at all though.

Volodymyr from The APP Solutions

Mind Mapping Tool as it should be

XMind is great mindmapping tool that gets the job done nice and clean.

Pros

Mindmapping is nice and easy way to keep your brain fit and ready for unconventional action. However, it is often challenging to capture the brainstorming flow in an adequate manner. XMind makes this a lot easier. In terms of User Experience, XMind is as good as it gets with this kind of tools. You don't need to spend a lot of time wondering how to make your mind map - everything is on the surface. I really like the Presentation Mode. It is very useful in cases when you need to present a bunch of complicated concepts, explain the connections and tie them together without losing anyone.

Cons

XMind can be slow at times and it can crawl and drag if your file is too big. Sometimes d&d files make a mess if you miss the mark. The biggest problem with XMind comes with free versions as there are certain functional limitations. But it is more of a problem for those who don't use XMind as frequently as I am.

Joshua from Forsythes Technology

Great mindmapping tool that I now cant live without

I regularly recommend this software to anyone who will listen.

Pros

Cons

Making it easier to add custom images and icons would be a nice addition

Juan from Fidelity National Information Services

Excellent tool for mind mapping

An easy tool to present ideas using more of an image format in a collaborative way.

Pros

The free version is feature rich and can get you going right away, the built-in templates are great starting points. The fact that the free version is available makes it easy to send files to share and not worry about someone being able to open it since there is a free version. The paid version adds a slew of functionality and the ability to export the file into various formats.

Danny from SkySpecs, Inc

Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

XMind has revolutionized how I brainstorm and plan strategy for my business

Pros

Mind Mapping not a completely new concept, but XMind makes it incredibly simple to change the way you brainstorm. You immediately jump into a blank map and with very easy shortcut keys you can start dropping all of your ideas onto a page. Everything is easy to move around, connect to other ideas, or add notes to. They have added great colors and icons to help sort your ideas. It is also very affordable for the pro version with a one time payment fee.

A great replacement at an excellent price!

Pros

I have been an avid user of mind mapping software for more than a decade ,however, ever since I moved over to mac I have not found a great replacement for Mind Manager (which I used on Windows). After trying several other options I recently tried XMind and I am incredibly happy with the experience - it ticks all the boxes I wanted and also ticked a few that I did not know I needed until now. Some of the good points are easy and quick visual mind mapping. It also allows clear and visual relationships, groupings and icons. The price is amazing at only a few dollar per month. The experience of onboarding was also very simple.

Cons

At this point I do not have anything negative to say about XMind - excellent software at a great price.

Vincent Po from Ethan Hathaway

Industry: Information Services

Favourite mind-mapping tool

Overall satisfied with Xmind, my go-to mind-mapping tool.

Pros

I used to use Freemind (Xmind is a fork of Freemind) and Xmind is the mind-mapping tool I keep going back to, despite all the cloud-based mind-mapping apps, I still prefer Xmind (I don't use Xmind's cloud service though). I use mind-mapping very frequently and Xmind is still my favourite go-to mind-mapping tool.

Cons

Would love to see a free cloud-based version of this (vs only a desktop app).

Wojciech from Explorer-Consulting

I use XMind to manage information in visual way, to create notes & presentations in many views.

time saver, notes keeper, presentations option

Pros

XMind has great options to present information in many, different ways - as timeline, trees, org charts,... If we use task information, we can manage topics with Gantt chart view. It's easy to share documents in many ways. It's easy to develop document with visual elements like icons and images.

Richard from Imagine Learning

Powerful desktop mind mapping tool, hindered by a lack of collaboration and mobile support.

I use it primarily for brainstorming, it helps to be able to capture ideas and draw relationships between similar concepts. It is also helpful for creating charts and data visualizations for my team.

Pros

Fast and intuitive mind mapping with great support for images and documents. Many available layouts and custom themes. Cloud sync between devices, keyboard shortcuts, and a few project management features.

Cons

Limited completely to the desktop. Powerful, but also overly complex, takes time to learn. Cannot freely position elements, must use pre-defined layouts. Cloud synchronization is aggravating, often results in conflicts and duplicate documents.

Clemens from Staffbase

Mindmaps for free

XMind is a perfectly valid choice for gathering ans structuring ideas as long as you can live with some minor structural restrictions and limited design-freedom.

Pros

I really like the fact that the free version of XMind offers most of the features I wanted. The prefabricated designs are neat and for most people, they'll be entirely sufficient, just like the graphs themselves.

Cons

The possible schemes are limited in their complexity, which is a pity because being able to structure thoughts is what XMind is all about. I don't like to limit my thoughts to a structure the software is able to display, but as it is for free, I'm not sure wether this is actually valid critique. Also, the UI tends to be a little confusing.

Ken from Akiyama Martial Arts

Clean and Intuitive

Pros

I'm using XMind on my new iMac and it's great. I use Mac because I like how the operating system and hardware stays out of my, so I can complete my work. XMind follows this philosophy of minimalism design with maximum functionality. There is also a "zen mode" which is full screen with no menus. I quickly figured the most basic functions and keystrokes without a tutorial or guide. Minimal and intuitive!

Cons

The cost is kind of high for a mind mapping tool. After all, I'm not sure how much I will use the software on a daily basis to warrant subscribing every six months. But then again, when I factor in my time, and the incalculable value of 'getting things done'. It seems to be well worth it.

Jovana from Jednakost

Mapping my mind is now easier

I am overall very satisfied. Briefly tried other alike software but they were too hard to navigate as a beginner. XMind was the most intuitive and I find my way around quite easily.

Pros

It is fairly intuitive, I struggled with figuring out one or two features but nothing too complicated. Other similar software was far more complicated.

Cons

I would prefer the option for different map's design. At least options like standard, minimal and some embellished version. The design is a little bit the early 2000s.

Konrad from UczymyMaszyny.pl

Very good mind mapping software

XMind is one of my favorites mind mapping software.

Pros

Possibility of structuring your mind maps in different layouts, having multiple sheets in one file, connected with each other is the most important advantage in XMind compared to other mind mapping software. The interface is simple, yet powerful. The brain dump mode is a feature, that is a game changer for me, and which is unique for XMind

Cons

The shortcuts in app as not user friendly as in other apps.

Simon from Naikoon

Great Mapping Tool

Great for quick, good looking maps. A breeze to use and pick up

Pros

Visually pleasing and a very nice UI feel. The keys are intuitive and you can quickly and easily create some beautiful maps

Cons

As you go down the layers in your map, it does lack the ability to customize the deeper level maps look and feel. Beyond 3 tier is probably a no-go.

Ana from METRO Cash&Carry Hrvatska

Industry: Wholesale

Excellent mindmapping and diagram tool

Very good (but slightly) slow software for mind-mapping and diagrams in general.

Pros

There are enough already made templates for standard projects. Nice and simple graphic interface. Plenty of editing options. Plenty of options in context menu so user don't have to look in menus. Themes are a nice feature. Text editor as docked feature. Subscription price for ZEN version is e really good deal.

Cons

More editing freedom, as sometimes user can't manipulate position of topics/subtopics (or is automatically docked or is far away). Relatively slow for off-line solution (response time of docked features). Price (of PRO version) is too expensive.

Best mindmapping tool for Mac

Awesome tool for mind mapping, overall love the product.

Pros

- Easy to use software for brainstorming and mind mapping - A lot of inbuilt templates available - Rich features like images, icons to ease visualizing.

Cons

- The free version does not support collaborative mind mapping.

An easy tool to organize ideas and mind maps in an easy way.

I started to used Xmind in a very easy way to create a mind map, it didn't take me a lot of time to understand it and started to work with.

Pros

I liked that is very easy to install and start to work with, it offers an easy way to start with mind maps without using another office tools that make difficult to create these diagrams. With simple commands you can start very intuitively to create your mind map. You can even export your work in popular formats to work with.

Cons

The user interface could be updated to be more friendly, it has the necessary to start to work but it could be improved to have the main tools more accesible.

Excellent tool for Mind mapping

Pros

Mind mapping brings a lot of clarity in the thought process and Xmind does a wonderful job of using mind maps. They have a lot of templates that can be used as well.

Cons

Not much. The software is very nice indeed.

XMind- For mapping your mind, and more

Been using it on and off like a mental post it for times I needed a clear overview. Overall, pleased with the tool and the results it helps me get.

Pros

Easy to use and provides a way to make mind maps for whatever you want.

Cons

A bit more options would be great as I feel it is a bit limited for my particular mind, if that makes sense. I would have loved to see some more features for the nodes.

Intuitive and Visually Pleasant Mind Mapping Software

Great brainstorming software that has many surprising uses

Pros

XMind offers an opportunity to map thoughts in a visual "mind map" that is aesthetically pleasing. We use this in many different ways, but perhaps the most unique was to flesh out our company's organizational chart in a succinct image with attractive colors.

Cons

Although there are lots of formatting options, colors, shapes, and sizes, a bit more functionality or customization capabilities would go a long way.

Effective Mind-Map App

Allowing me to map out my ideas in flow and make plans for the future.

Pros

I love that it's so simple to use. Not only does it not take up much space but it has a very simple to use interface. The learning curve is minimal as it takes less than 20 minutes to understand how it works. There is also a very good export feature which allows for easy export to PNG, Word, Text, PDF as well as other social network using the Zen network. I love that there is also support for the mobile apps so that one can work while on the go. The pricing is effective as there are separate desktop and mobile apps, though it's preferrable to go for the desktop+mobile package as it costs just a bit more than the desktop subscription.

Cons

It was not as colourful as I expected. The activation process was a bit cumbersome.

Moved over to XMind from Mind Meister

Pros

The free version has a lot that you can do with unlike Mind Meister. That is the main reason I moved to XMind.

Cons

The size of the software is bloated I felt

This is a great product for process development as well as brainstorming

I'm able to create some clean and professional items for work. Saves time.

Pros

I can pretty much use it for whatever I want: if I'm setting up a timeline, creating a project strategy, walking through a process, setting up and organizational chart. Whatever I need, there's a way for me to create it.

Cons

The relationships between elements is sometimes challenging to create (i.e. a sub-process of a process). It doesn't always work the way I want it to or anticipate it to.

Arthur from DUOSHIRO

I just love the XMind free version, the best Idea Mgmt software ever made

Pros

It´s way easier to put your ideas and mind maps together. The interface is very intuitive and you can build big mind maps easier.

Cons

The program is not heavy but eats memory so it´s better to have a good computer or at least a small monitor to use it.

Rev Michael from Skopon

Great mind mapping software

Have been using in consulting work to map out processes that are going in several directions at once. Helps those whe are visionary yet work alone to bring others on board with processes that both parties can understand. Helps many entrepreneurs to work at the speed ot their thoughts when presenting. I love working with it to break down what seem to be complicated issues, only because they have no way to break down "stream of consciousness" explanations of problems.

Pros

If you don't register the trial you can use it for as long as you need. Much better than a 15-day trial that many others give you. Many times 2 weeks does not give you much time. It is great mind mapping software!

Cons

It is limited in its flex ability. Not able to make the maps as fluid as some programs. In many ways it makes maps like everyone else does, it just does it better.