• Pros

• "I love the functionality and design. Very easy to use. Great customer service as well. "

• "Easy to use and very user friendly. Support team is great and very helpful/quick to respond."

• "We love the dashboard and the ability to use the app on my phone. "

• Cons

• "The accounting portion of the software integrates well, especially with trust accounting. However, the actual accounting side is clunky and harder to use than alternatives such as Quickbooks."

• "Sometimes a little hard to use some of the features, but they are always listening to feature requests."

• "Some of the deep user options are difficult to find but this is necessary with the level of customization allowed."

Browse CosmoLex Reviews

Ryan from Heighton Law

Streamlined Access Anywhere!

It is enjoyable to work with, and has been an easy transition. The staff are friendly and helpful. While I haven't had much in the way of issues, any that I have were quickly resolved.

Pros

I was previously using PC Law, provided by LexisNexis, and had nothing but problems. I wanted more elegant software that I could access anywhere, with reliable data storage. CosmoLex is exactly that. It is cloud-based, which allows me to access it from court, home, or the office. It manages all of my billing and accounting, and is elegant to use. I am a huge fan!

Cons

I frankly don't have much of anything to offer in the way of complaints!

Jennifer from King & King

Best Attorney Software

Great program with easy customer support (even a chat feature). The prior legal platform software we used constantly had issues with an expensive yearly update that was required. Cosmolex is cloud-based so no need for updates. there is no need for an additional bookkeeping program for your office expenses as the program will handle that along with your trust accounting.

Pros

I like that you can handle your everyday office accounting in the same program as your trust accounting. There is no need for a separate program. Our clients love the client portal and they can upload documents directly to the client portal instead of having to bring them into our physical office. Cosmolex keeps each of your client files organized where you can save all of your emails, documents, and share the ones that you need to share with your clients through the client portal.

Cons

We would like to be able to make one bulk deposit at one time instead of having to go through by individual dates and make individual deposits.

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex

Cosmolex had the back office accounting to have all our books go through one program!

Michael from Campbell Law, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Great Software. Can be a learning curve.

Pros

The built in efficiency. Great accounting system. Easy to generate invoices, apply payments, and print checks.

Cons

It takes a bit to learn how to do everything and fully utilize the software. That being said, the customer service is excellent. The software is pricey and I wish there was a discounted rate for firm members who only have limited access.

Pierce from Adkins Law Firm

This App is Geared More Towards Transactional Law Practices

Pros

Cosmolex is easy to use and to implement. Initially, Customer Support was great, but now not so much. Customer support is still better than any other legal accounting product I have used from Lexis or Westlaw, even Clio. The company is generally pretty good about responding to its customers inquiries; but, you typically have to wait about 4 to 6 hours or the next day or two for a technical support person to call you back and sometimes they don't. The billing features are great for a small transactional law practice or family law practice, but not so much for a firm that handles heavy amounts of civil litigation for commercial clients, which requires reporting and data feed back. Trust accounting on Cosmolex is fantastic and allows for contingency fees in PI cases. Overall, its ease of use and simple interface is why we continue to use it. Compared to most legal accounting and billing software, training employees is easy and they offer tons of opportunities to attend free webinar classes and are great at assisting you in getting your employees up and running. Altogether, it is not bad if you have other software or services to cover document and case management, but is expensive considering its deficiencies in this area.

Cons

The biggest Con is that there is a clear the lack of usable reports, no way to export client data for analysis and forecasting, third party integrations with Office is a work in progress for 2+ years and Cosmolex should absolutely not be relied on for Case Management in a litigation practice. If you are going to use Cosmolex, I would suggest doing so only for the accounting (w/ trust features) and billing for noncommercial clients. Cosmolex provides linking with your Drobox Account but is very limited when it comes to document management and your space is dependent what you purchase from other third-party companies for storage. We use the client portal for our clients to upload new case documents securely, but that is absolutely those are the only documents managed by Cosmolex. Docketing for litigation would be a nightmare if you depended on this software (especially for those that have midsize firms or handle multiple cases for companies). Reporting and data analysis is nonexistent. Cosmolex is absolutely not Microsoft Office friendly and has little to no integration with Microsoft products, despite the way it appears on their website. It will not integrate with on premises Exchange Server 2016, SQL or Power BI so you have to enter everything twice and have other software or services to cover its deficiencies. Calendaring features are worthless unless your firm uses Gmail as your firm email and calendaring system. The calendar may now integrate with 365 but does not have a way to customize jurisdictional presets for counting deadlines like most case management software that integrates with your calendar through Exchange. Altogether, the lack of even usable Excel or .PDF reports is the worst thing about Cosmolex. Report features, including AR ledgers and Invoice listing reports for a client with multiple ongoing cases is worthless. There is also no way to segregate your fees for fee recoverable causes of action, which is required in Texas when you are seeking attorneys fees from the opposing side. Reports in Cosmolex could not be more unorganized. Trying to pull usable billing data over a period of time longer than one year is virtually impossible unless you want to do it by cutting and pasting from poorly formatted excel spreadsheets, which makes it difficult as hell to analyze client data over a period of time. Overall, all legal accounting software I have seen is terrible, Cosmolex is just less terrible than most. I think we are going to be moving on shortly to something else.

Joshua from Webster & Dubs, P.C.

Great for Small Firms

Very satisfied.

Pros

Comprehensive client management, including accounting.

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex

PCLaw is not available for Macs.

Cole from Building Families LLC

Outstanding Practice Management Software

The greatest benefit is the inclusion of accounting functions such that the we can readily prepare the necessary reports for our CPA.

Pros

The software is intuitive and straightforward. All necessary options are readily accessible from a simple menu structure, and the inclusion of detailed accounting functions is truly unparalleled.

Cons

The only difficulty our firm has had has been in discerning how to remove or amend charges to clients once they have been billed and once payment has been received. However, via help and reading on the forums, we now understand this process and it is not difficult.

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex

The inclusion of accounting features and the overall ease of the user interface.

Tony from Toepfer at Law, PLLC

CosmoLex Review

I'm not sure that it's changed anything, since I started out with cloud based services, but it's better than Clio because it doesn't screw up in a major fashion once a quarter or more.

Pros

Stability, integrated accounting, and better support staff. I used Clio for a couple years at my last firm, and I have zero intention of switching back.

Cons

The UI is not exactly intuitive. The search functionality, while robust, is also a bit awkward. Certain things that seem like they might be no-brainer search field options aren't present, and certain items that I would expect to be heavily used by most users aren't as quickly and easily accessed as I would like (for example - the calendar, in my opinion, deserves its own direct access sidebar button).

Tiffany from D.R. Wells Law, PLLC

Great experience so far!

Pros

Cosmolex is extremely user friendly and I love the help videos!

Cons

I have not found anything I would say I liked "least" about Cosmolex.

Rebecca from J.V. Dell, P.C.

Love it!

Very well. Customer service is excellent. Very user -friendly.

Pros

We swapped from Abacus to Cosmolex a few years ago and its a MAJOR improvement. I love how it is continuously updated to better the program. It is very user-friendly and I love how customizable it is. I also LOVE the upgrade with the new spell check!

Cons

Nothing right now. We are loving the latest updates!

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex

This program just fit our office better and we liked the idea of having everything in one place, rather than having a separate program from accounting/client details.

Dean from Dean L. Surkin, attorney-at-law

Integrated law firm software

This is a great replacement for PCLaw, with none of the installation issues.

Pros

Cloud-based, good interface. The program integrates with OneDrive and other vendors' products

Cons

Client disbursements don't allow for entering an item list - you have to write it out in one paragraph in the comments box.

Ana from Gregory Law Firm

Cosmolex Review

I became a Cosmolex customer after being a customer of another practice management system and a customer of a widely known accounting software. My law practice incorporates general practice areas ranging from real estate/title agency, personal injury, litigation, family law, to probate and estate planning. With a variety of practice areas such as my firm, the challenges of practice management are complex because each area of the law has its own set of individual policies and procedures. The program I was using didn't capture my time spent on cases, nor created a detailed bill for my clients' review that completely captured all of the work my staff and I performed on their case. Cosmolex produces an invoice for the client that justifies my legal fee, which is essential to client satisfaction, and critical for ethical compliance purposes for cases that are accepted on a retainer or hourly basis. Not only do I earn more money because I'm able to quickly track time and expenses, but I also deliver a better product. Less time is spent telling my client what I did on their case but instead, allows me to focus on the particular legal matter the client hired me to solve. Further, the biggest hurdle to launching a successful law firm (I've only had my own law firm for seven months), is bookkeeping, and I have an in-house, nearly full-time bookkeeper which is also an accountant and is even qualified as an expert in a common accounting software system. However, with all of that knowledge and expertise, so much of my time was spent on accounting, and now it's spent on practicing law and a deeper concentration on my cases. This was not and could not have been possible with other accounting software systems on the market. Trust me, I tried them, and they only created problems. The other systems in the market (even those that are tailored for law firms) simply make the law firm work for the system, and not the system work for the law firm. Cosmolex is comprehensive. It takes care of the daily task delegation, case progress, and time tracking, accounting, employee performance, and reports. My experience has been an eye-opening one. My experience is mostly a relief because without Cosmolex I would still be living in the dark-ages of unproductivity and frustration.

Pros

Ease of use, the simplicity of timecards, layout/design, price, functionality across multiple practice areas, ethical compliance considerations, cyber security protection, and mobility.

Cons

Lack of knowledge by customer support, inability of 24/7 customer support access, inadequate and burdensome contact importing process, access to library of forms and templates with incorporated merge fields, failure of bank integration for purposes of deposits, no app available, not synced with lexicata or another CRM service, doc mgmt could use some navigational ease of use improvement, no place for employees to insert their time for purposes of payroll, no spell checker, inability to make a matter designated as anything other than inactive or active (nice if had more options, such as closed cases, prospective lead, consultation only, referred out), migration of emails into cosmolex, lack of automatic matching of emails to correct corresponding client file (doesn't exist retroactive to joining Cosmolex at all, and once joined, the automatic email matching is rare but is much more usually manual entry, automatic base fee for commonly used tasks and expenses that would automatically be applied to each type of case's invoice for example, fax $2.50, copy cost 30 cents per page, courier fee $5.00, postage cost of $10.00, generate and open file $15, $10 document retention fee, and legal research $20.00, additional permissions for each user based on more than is listed under "role," label generator, sync with efax and adobe sign and google for work, ability to mark certain case documents as confidential and/or only for internal viewing purposes.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied July 2016

Hi Ana, Thank you for taking the time to detail your thoughts, it is constructive feedback like yours which keeps us grounded. You run a multi-dimensional practice and are a tech enthusiastic, full of ideas. While we currently do not offer 24/7 live customer support as you stated, this is planned for the near future. We also agree that data migration from one system to another can often be very cumbersome. Though we have automated this process quite a bit since you became a customer, we understand that this can be perceived as a major hurdle for some firms, which is why we work hard every day to improve this process. Lastly, we value your comment that "[CosmoLex] is already well beyond its counterparts and is arguably the next big leader in legal tech practice management". We can assure you that we will be relentless in our pursuit of simplifying the practice of law! Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

Michele from Legal Counsel PA.

Overall Review of Product- Our THoughts

Pros: One program for almost everything. Cons: No document assembly; you can only link one person to the client portal; glitches in program- the program emailed an invoice to the wrong person; can not email through program; glitch- I had to give access to everyone for everything because the limited access features did not work; customer service is not the best; calandar portion has glitches when it interfaces with gmail and office 365.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software. Its like having Quickbooks and a practice management program in one. This is the best feature.

Cons

Lots of glitches: (a) it emailed an invoice to the wrong person; (b) user restrictions do not work in my office; (c) calendar is not on the main page- usability is difficult for some tasks; (d) you can only have one person assigned to the client portal. Does not have email capabilities Does not have document assembly Does not have automatic assignment of matter numbers. Limited reporting features- you can not tailor reports (financial)- very limited.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied March 2017

Hi Michele, We appreciate your feedback related to your experience with CosmoLex. In regards to the issues you are having, please reach out to our support team directly at 732-595-9015 so that they can see first hand the issues you are experiencing, and assist with resolving. I will be entering the requests you have made as well, so that we can keep you up to date on their progress. As an additional note, we will be releasing Document Assembly within the next few months and are always open to hear your suggestions on improving our current reporting. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Lynda from Sheftall & Associates, P.A.

The staff is really helpful and friendly.

Three software packages for billing, client accounting and back-end was TOO MUCH!

Pros

Everything was in one place. I didn't have to generate bills in one package, enter them in another for tracking income, and then pay them in two places as well. It is also great to be able to write a cost check in a case and have the expense "attached" to the client's accounting file/bill in a seamless matter with just an additional click or two. We were promised an easy migration with all the support we needed, and that is what the team at Cosmolex delivered! Our accountant was also able to access the system for his end of the year work and add all of his journal entires and such and close out the books quickly and easily. The ability for us to generate P&L reports and other important accounting documents literally on demand is also pretty awesome. But the best part about Cosmolex, by far, is their incredible support team. They have never been stumped, and I've done my best to do just that! Every time I have a question, I get a prompt and complete answer, generally by phone, from one of their support staff who know me and my firm on a first-name basis. I don't think I could be nearly as effective in a dual-role position without this software!

Cons

I can't think of anything additional at this point; they have added all MY wishlist items! I think the only thing they could add at this point is a "hotline" 24/7!

Marc from Cumbo Law

Industry: Law Practice

This is a time and money saver for any firm.

I was looking for a complete solution to my practice management and accounting needs.

Pros

I tried various other platforms including PCLaw and Clio, but they lacked in usability or functionality compared to CosmoLex. PCLaw is outdated, slow and not cloud based, while Clio lacks firm accounting functionality and though they advertise quickbooks syncing, there are major issues with the syncing that requires a great deal of work by the end user. CosmoLex is able to do virtually everything Clio can do with respect to practice management and even has a few unique features. However, where CosmoLex really shines is with its built in accounting system. As a Canadian Lawyer we require certain functionality that our American counterparts do not and CosmoLex has done a great job of meeting our needs. CosmoLex can properly deal with our HST/GST/PST issues and payments as well as offer us accrual based accounting as we are required to use by law. There is NO other cloud based platform with an all-in-one solution for Canadian Lawyers. This is a time and money saver for any firm.

Cons

I would like to see document generation (of all sorts), multiple clients per matter, the ability to generate Client I.D. Forms from the contact information. Also helpful would be the ability to attach scanned receipts, cheques, and bills to accounting entries similar to the functionality in QuickBooks. Some minor efficiency changes like being able to select certain options when creating an entry rather than having to re-open it afterwards.

Christine from The Law Office of Christine L. Freeman, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

By far a much better experience in legal software than previous program

I am practicing law more than I am fighting with accounting software for lawyers!

Pros

It does front and back office and IT WORKS. Very little technical support needed on a regular basis. It allows clients to make payments online through an invoice link and cosmolex is partnered with LawPay. Also integrates well with outlook exchange and all programs like google, onedrive, dropbox ; allows all emails to be saved to the associated matters for easy access. billing process is fairly simple the invoice links are keeping receivables down as client's can pay their bills 24/7. bills are able to be emailed easily and in bulk; invoice reminders and trust deposit requests are easily sent out without the need to draft letters individually to the clients. I could go on and on......

Cons

Hard to complain about much with this program. It depends on your needs. For me there are still some features I am used to from my server based program that are not availableyet in this cloud based software, but there are lots of things in the works. It seems each month a new feature is released that I had learned to live without or work around. The things I am missing right now are invoices saved automatically to a matter in a hard pdf when initially generated. The original invoice cannot be recreated unless you physically print or save a downloaded copy at the time they are generated.

Laura from Injury and Disability Law Office of WI

It is easy to get around the program

Pros

I like that it is easy to get around the program and many things are self-explanatory. I also appreciate the tutorials that are available.

Cons

1. I sat down with our accountant and went through the chart of accounts - we wanted to erase some of the accounts that we wouldn't be using, but the system prevents it. There are so many similarly named accounts, that I am concerned about how I will make sure I am using the ones that my accountant prefers (as an example, there are at least 3 or 4 options for accounts related to payroll). 2. I don't like that I can't select the option to not allow duplicate checks for our business checking account 3. I don't like that when I click "save and next" when entering checks that the program does not automatically bring up the next check number. I have to hit "save" and then go back in and "add" another transaction in order for that to happen

Response from CosmoLex

Replied July 2017

Hi Laura. We appreciate your review and feedback. I wanted to take some time to respond to the concerns that you listed 1- Chart of Accounts - While our GL account list is quite flexible, given that we have built-in automated accounting, certain accounts are core to that process and therefore cannot be deleted (fee income, trust funds, reimbursable client costs etc.). In terms of account options, only keep the accounts you wish to use. we offer 4 payroll accounts to cover the various deductions which need to be disbursed. 2- Duplicate checks - you are correct in that our operating accounts do not include the same safeguards as the trust accounts given there is no requirement, however I will enter this request on your behalf. 3- Check Numbers- I assume you are entering manual checks instead of printing them. I do see the issue you are experiencing and will report to our dev team to resolve. Thanks again for your feedback. Any other questions, please let us know.

Kristal from Knox & Belcher

Industry: Law Practice

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature

Pros

We chose Cosmolex because of the accounting feature along with the other case management features as well as its interplay with Lawpay.

Cons

I would like to be able to search the calendar for a particular name. For example, if I am trying to determine when I met with a potential client, I would like to be able to search their name. To add to this, I would like to be able to add the potential client to the calendar entry when I add a consult so I can search the PC and determine when I met with them. As to the documents, I would like a way to search all the documents in the system. For example, I would like to be able to search for "Motion for Guardian ad Litem" and have all documents with that title, regardless of whose matter it is connected to. I would like to be able to pull matter balances from the app.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied August 2019

Thanks for your feedback, Kristal! We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the advantages of an integrated accounting and practice management system. We're always looking to optimize our solution, so please feel free to make a feature request on our support site. Thank you!

Sarah from A. McIntyre Law

They are always innovating

Pros

I wanted something that combined both the accounting and matter management in one place. What I like the most is the Customer Support. If I'm having a problem with taking a payment from a client, I can get on the phone and have them resolve the issue without delaying the client. I also like that they constantly ask us what other new functions we'd like to see. They are always innovating, and don't "drop" you once they've got your payment.

Cons

I wish it would remember matter names and auto-populate that when adding a new client--then i'd like to be able to run reports based on the kinds of matters. I'd also like to be able to bulk mail using our clients' mailing addresses. Finally, I'd like to be able to add in court dates to the matters so that when I run reports, I can filter and organize them according to court dates, rather than client name. I like Cosmolex, but it's clearly set up for civil or other slow-moving firms, and not for traffic, which adds up to 10 clients a day and has many matter subject options.

Alyssa from Celski Law Firm PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients...

Cosmolex has reduced the time for billing clients down from 2-3 days to 2-3 hours.

Pros

The ability to add charges on the go is a huge plus for the attorney. He can bill his time while in court.

Cons

Old client invoices, there needs to be a way to unlock invoices to allow payment on outstanding debt. I've contacted customer service and we had a backdoor way of doing it but the newest update to CL has erased that ability. So now old clients who have no active charges are inconvenienced and must come into the office to pay. Would love to see more functions for old accounts!

Response from CosmoLex

Replied November 2017

Hi Alyssa. Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure I understand the issue you are having. Bills become locked for edits once a payment is received (which can be lifted), but future payments can still be applied, as long as there is a balance. You can resend old, open invoices which have a balance and then apply a payment to those whether by retainer, check or credit card. It does not matter how old they are. If there is something I am missing, or you have additional information which can assist, please email support@cosmolex.com and we will be happy to look into this further.

Wendy from Borger Matez, P.A.

Cosmolex

Everyday I learn more with Cosmolex. At first it is kind of confusing but once you learn how to use all the benefits it becomes easier.

Pros

The Pros with Cosmolex is once you learn all the features it is really easy to work with. I believe with entering the money portion on Cosmolex has been easier than any other system.

Cons

The cons were getting use to usisng Cosmolex. After you go through the webinars they have and learning videos it becomes easier to work with. There is always someone available to actually help you if you do have a question about anything if the teaching videos do not help in figure out your issue.

Wendy from Creed Law Group

Industry: Law Practice

The accounting is very easy to use which saves time.

It helps all of our staff stay on the same page and everyone knows what is happening in each case.

Pros

I like that the program has both accounting features and has the ability to hold all of our client's information in one. The accounting features are very easy to use. The support videos are very easy to use and if I need to speak to anyone they usually call the very same day.

Cons

I would like the calendar to be able to send emails to all of the attorney's as right now when I calendar an event in one attorney's calendar it will not let me send him/her a reminder unless you put the event on another person's calendar. The point of putting stuff on the calendar is so they see the event and they have reminders

Response from CosmoLex

Replied August 2019

Hi Wendy, thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your comments.

Nicholas from Legends Law Group, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex staff know law and also know accounting.

Pros

We simply have not found anything else that integrates true accounting with timekeeping and related legal process workflow. Everything else we've used (I could make a list) fell short in terms of features or else required integration among multiple platforms (at a higher cost).

Cons

There is a bug in the reporting of accounts receivable that is causing us problems. We are eager to see that fixed. CosmoLex does not seem to have an internationally focused law practice in mind. We work with clients in 70 countries, in multiple currencies. We struggle a bit to make that work well--there are some hiccups. Most other issues arise because our knowledge of accounting is poor, so we want to do things that should not be done (from an accounting perspective) or we don't know how to do them. Response time on our requests for help is sometimes slow. Our requests for additional features have not happened.

Christine from The Law Office of Christine L Freeman, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Easy and Complete Legal Accounting Software.

I am collecting fees and costs more easily and without having to see the client or talk to them on the phone. They can pay directly through their invoice or reminder emails sent by the program. Same for the trust retainer. Links are easily sent to clients to deposit directly to trust. The program makes the accounting entries for you on in the general ledger and the bank accounts.

Pros

It does both front and back office capabilities. It is easy to access everything about a client. All time, billing and any other information needing to be entered is in one software application. No need to have Quick Books and some other legal software. Invoicing is easy to facilitate and clients can pay through links on the invoices. This program interacts with Microsoft Office, Outlook, Google, LawPay and many others.

Cons

There are some reporting functions that are not yet available. This program still does not have a function for collecting Judgments on behalf of clients.

Carlo from LaMonica Law Firm LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Accounting is more precise and up to date.

Pros

I chose CosmoLex primarily because it is both a client management system and accounting system in one solution. Additionally, CosmoLex pays my monthly LawPay access fee. All of this really helped my small, but growing practice save some money, while getting all the tools I need.

Cons

I had to take down my website credit card payment link, but CosmoLex "prefers," and everything is recorded easier when, you process credit card transactions through their portal. There should be a way for me to accept credit cards on my website, like through native LawPay, or on the app.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied July 2019

Thank you for your feedback, Carlo! It's great to hear that you're enjoying all of our practice management and accounting features, as well as taking advantage of our LawPay offering. We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review; understanding the pros and cons of our solution from a user's perspective is invaluable in our efforts to constantly improve.

Herbert from Donica Law Firm, PA

Industry: Law Practice

Cosmolex is the best solution for a small law office.

Time keeping, calendar, scheduling and accounting.

Pros

Cloud based; access from anywhere. I can access my calendar from an iPad or iPhone.

Cons

Some reports are not intuitive. But the knowledge base is easily accessed and will answer most questions.

Reasons for Choosing CosmoLex

Web-based, easy data conversion, short learning curve.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied August 2019

Thanks for your feedback, Herbert! It's great to hear that you're enjoying the flexibility of the cloud. If you ever need help from our support team, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Rebekah from Phelps-Chartered

Made specifically for law firms - cool!

For many years our firm used a number of different back office software products. For example, we used Easy Trust for trust accounting, Quick Books for financial accounting and payroll, and Timeslips for time and billing. These are all products that run on individual computers. About 3 years ago, the company that produced EasyTrust quit supporting that product. For the last 3 years we have basically been on our own regarding trust accounting. It has worked out okay to date, but at some point we knew that we would encounter an operating system problem or something and we would have had a substantial problem and the program would've stopped working and we would've had no support or help.

Pros

When we started looking for new trust accounting software, we saw that your product was made specifically for law firms - cool! It also combined trust accounting, financial accounting, time and billing, which was the most appealing aspect. But the fact that Cosmolex is cloud-based, cinched it for us. Because our office manager (who oversees and reconciles the trust accounting -- that is, the software is on her computer) telecommutes from her house. So every time I needed to enter credit card payments, Trust deposits, write checks, etc., I had to drive 3 miles to her house. So being able to do a lot of that work from the office, has been wonderful.

Cons

Your product is intimidating! It encompasses several different departments and getting everyone on the same page took (and will continue to take) a good amount of time. But your training videos and free support have really helped us. As a suggestion, perhaps transcribing the training videos might be useful for a quick reference?

Katrina from Anders, Young, Strong & Jonah

Industry: Law Practice

The switchover was a challenge, but I am very pleased that we did this!

Very positive.... and sooo much better than the primary competitor in the Canadian market. The cost is a little high (particularly for licenses for support staff who are only using the software for a few minutes every day).

Pros

Web based; Ease of use right from the start; Excellent training tools; Excellent customer service; Most of my clients really appreciate the customer portal - I expect that as my clients are, as a group, more inclined to use technology to manage their legal affairs, they will be using it more. The reconciliation of trust accounts with the option to simply download and compare entries is very simple and helpful.

Cons

Some of the more advance functionalities still need work. As an example, we still haven't figured out how to create several template invoices for fixed rate matters (the fixed rate will vary based on the type of matter); there have also been some challenges with the coding of our letterhead (which works fine in a Word document) so we have had to use a work-around.

August 2016

William from Law Office of William C. Mack

August 2016

Excellent Law Practice Management App

have been using Cosmolex since its introduction and am very happy with the application. I started using the software just for trust accounting, but found its easy-to-navigate interface so easy to use that I started keeping time and expenses and using the billing function as well. Then Cosmolex added full back-end accounting functionality and I ditched my QuickBooks app altogether. Cosmolex continues to add functionality and compatibility. It's a great app for managing your law practice.

Pros

Easy-to-use interface Accurate trust accounting Broadening functionality Complete integration of functions Growing compatibility with other class-leading applications

Cons

The only thing I am wishing for is the ability to generate documents from the Cosmolex database, but this is coming I am told!

Samantha from Thom Ellingson, PLLP

Duped by Cosmolex - Only Cost-Efficient if Solo

I initially recommended CosmoLex because even with the lack of integrations, I found it user friendly. And I still would recommend it to solos who know they will never expand because of ease of use. But if you are a solo who aspires to add staff, a larger or growing law firm, or someone who uses an outside accounting firm, I would say to just use Quickbooks. Transferring after a year because CosmoLex decided to jack up the price considerably is such a hassle, and we want to continue to grow without continuing to worry that we'll outgrow CosmoLex's functionality or that the price will continue to unexpectedly go up. Additionally, our accountant struggled with it, and urged the switch to Quickbooks.

Pros

I actually liked this software for the most part in my first year of use. There were a lot of bugs. For instance, the email linking doesn't actually do anything, you have to manually sort and link emails. This is disappointing because it was basically sold to me as something that you could customize by adding rules like emails from x email address should be sorted to x client. But I otherwise found it fairly easy to use and I liked the functionality of invoicing, etc.

Cons

I am giving this a poor review for the following reasons: (1) Cosmolex is really only price-efficient if you are a solo attorney. When I added a staff member and tried to add another timekeeper, I was told my price was going to effectively double!! As a result I am now trying to switch programs which is a huge headache, but the added costs made Quickbooks actually cheaper and Quickbooks has way more integrations and a payroll feature. (Plus you can find email archiving for FREE if you are a small business that takes care of that functionality for Cosmolex.) (2) They were not upfront about the pricing issues. I was told that the reason it cost money to add this timekeeper was because my previous timekeeper had been "grandfathered in" and that I should have learned about this pretty drastic change in an "update section." First, why wouldn't I have received this in an email? Changing the price and price structure of a product should require actual notice! Second, when I chatted someone to find this "update" they could not find it or direct me to it. (3) The lack of integrations (and the integrations they are getting) is really problematic. For instance, they now integrate with Net Documents, which is pretty expensive. For a product that must be targeted almost exclusively to solos as a result of the pricing structure, that doesn't make sense. Why not integrate with Box or Dropbox? And to not have a payroll integration or to work with existing payroll companies is difficult.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied September 2019

Hi Samantha, We're sorry to hear that your experience with CosmoLex was poor, but we appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if we can be of any help during your transition process. We regret that our support and training teams were unable to show you our long-standing integrations with Box, DropBox, OneDrive, etc. In regard to our pricing, our customer base ranges from solos to 50-lawyer firms. We respect your opinion and will pass your comments for improvements on to our Client Communications department. We wish you the best.

Morgan from Strow Law LLC

July 2016

Billing is great! Case management, not so much.

We are a two attorney firm with one paralegal. We chose Cosmolex for the trust accounting feature. We were looking for a program that could do it all - keep the books and manage the cases.

Pros

I love the billing and trust accounting features. Cosmolex really shines with maintaining the operating and trust accounts separately as well as generating invoices for our billable work.

Cons

The software is cumbersome, taking several clicks to get to information. The features I need most on the case management side are contacts and notes. The contacts drive me nuts! If I'm in Bob Jones' case, I want to see a list of all the other people involved such as other attorneys, witnesses, or other relevant parties. With Cosmolex, one has to go to a separate contacts page and link them rather than entering the information directly into the matter. The note taking feature is improving now that more characters are allowed, but it still leaves much to be desired for those who are answering client calls and wanting to log the information right away. It seems like it would be fine for a transactional practice but it's less than ideal for litigation.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied July 2016

Hi Morgan, I am sorry to hear that while you love the billing & accounting functions of CosmoLex, you are not as thrilled with our case management functions. Specifically, it seems like a lot of your suggestions have to do with our contact management functions . If possible, we'd love to take few minutes of your time offline to go over your specific observations and improvement ideas. Also, we can update you on many of the new features and improvements which are currently in the works. At CosmoLex, our sole focus is to provide our clients with a better product each month and your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Erica Birstler, Manager, Client Services Dept.

March 2015

Pete from Weinman Law Offices

March 2015

I can't imagine practicing law without this essential tool.

Pros

My practice is focused primarily on residential real estate in NY and NJ and I represent a lot of lenders, so I have been relying upon Easy Softs hud-1 program and their billing/trust accounting program for years, so when I learned about everything CosmoLex had to offer, I was excited to jump in. What really separates CosmoLex from the others is that its completely cloud based and also offers a full IOLA/IOLTA accounting system. Im able to login from the office, from home, and even on the road from my smart phone to add billable events, log and print checks, or search for anything I need. Because Im a sole practitioner, I dont have an IT department to help me install/upgrade my programs and the people at CosmoLex actually converted my existing data and had me up and running in about 15 minutes. Knowing that my data (and the programs) are off-site means less to worry about if and when a computer at my office should fail - and not having to worry about re-installing and restoring data (just knowing that its always safe and ready to access) makes sleeping at night a little easier. The controls are intuitively setup and searching for matters by client or other keyword or searching transactions by dollar amount, etc., could not be easier. Ive already watched some of their online tutorials and when those did not help me understand something, I contacted tech support for personalized support and training that did the trick every time!

Cons

Nothing comes to mind so far. It's everything I need.

Jeanne from Powell & Associates

Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in

Our former practice management software was outdated and no longer supported by the developer. We were looking for something that would allow us the features we were used to in our personal technologies, such as cloud based storage and usability on multiple platforms, not just desktop PC as our old software required. We've been more than impressed with the bells and whistles, many of which we realize are features we now can't live without!

Pros

Built in accounting was the biggest deal breaker for our choosing CosmoLex. As the bookkeeper, fed up with our clunky old software, I was looking for a new system that would be a modern and practical take on practice management and CosmoLex was the only one I found that had accounting built in. Being cloud based allows us to bill time or check in when out of the office and though we had looked at another program that was cloud based, CosmoLex offered greater flexibility and it looks great, to boot.

Cons

Our office would love to see some updates for the calendar and tasks - specifically a central office calendar that is the default view. We are composed of two attorneys and two support staff where we are all working on the same cases. Short of adding each event to four individual calendars it would great to have everything on one sort of "home" calendar where we can all easily view and comment.

Jordan from Saint John Law LLC

Love it!

I didn't have LMP software before although I did have QuickBooks for awhile. Thus, there is nothing to compare to but it fills the bill for what I need. I think it was thoughtfully designed, and I find it straightforward and easy to use.

Pros

I have enjoyed the ease of learning and using this software. I like the Dashboard that tells you many useful things at a glance. Customer service is also very good. I like that it integrates with several other applications, such as LawPay and Casemaker (although I no longer use Casemaker). I also found a CL knowledgeable accountant through the site, which was very useful for getting set up my first year.

Cons

I really don't have cons. They did go up in price by $10/month without warning (one time in 18 months) but I still think it is a fair value.

Rachel from Hurdle Law Firm PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Client information and billing all in one place

It's made our overall processes more efficient, having client information and billing all in one place.

Pros

Ease of use and the checks and balances system - the setup doesn't really allow you to make mistakes, as so many of the accounting features are tied together. That's very helpful.

Cons

The soft cost expense entry is confusing and seems needless - right now, if we have an expense for which we haven't yet written a check, we either enter it as a time entry flat fee or wait to enter it until the check is written so we can avoid the soft cost option all together.

Apryl from Kaminsky, Thomas, Wharton, Lovette & Vigna

One Stop Service

Easy to use and everything we need at the office is in one place. Useful reports that are easy to produce.

Pros

Easy to use and everything you need is in one place.

Cons

That it prints all unpaid invoice. Would like to just print the most recent unpaid invoice.

Keeley from Bing Law PC

Best product

CosmoLex has been a great product for Bing Law. Customer service is beyond helpful.

Pros

Bing Law loves this program. User friendly and easy to navigate through. Beyond helpful for accounting.

Cons

Bing Law would like to see more options in the pull down menus for billing matters and for the case matters.

Robert from Roseman Legal Group

Industry: Law Practice

The ideal system for my purposes

Pros

Cosmolex is a web based system that gives me full flexibility of where I work and on what device I access my data. Moreover, the fact that Cosmolex is a fully integrated billing, accounting and trust accounting system makes it the ideal system form my purposes

Cons

I would like to see a more robust program for the migration of all of my prior accounting data - at least for the current C/Y of conversion so that I will have a full. accurate and consistently organized set of reports to submit to may accountant at year end. I would also like the migration to cover all of the detail for all of my Trust Accounts from day one forward to date of conversion to Cosmolex. This will facilitate any and all client or other audits of each Trust Account

Response from CosmoLex

Replied July 2017

Hi Robert. Thank you for your review and feedback. In regards to your note about migration. Financial Migration is never an 'easy' process. While most firms choose to migrate balances from a particular cut off date (we supply many automated tools to assist with that), you absolutely can migrate all previous transaction history. For your taxes, the current tax year is most relevant, but for your trust account you may wish to import past history. That does require additional time and labor, and cost if outsourced, but it is definitely doable. Any questions, please let me know.

Amber from Wyrostok Law

Industry: Law Practice

Cosmolex is very intuitive software.

My assistant and I have enjoyed using Cosmolex, and now feel spoiled by all the great features compared to other file management and accounting software. I have been asked by several lawyers in my city to show them the program, and I wish I was more proficient with it so I could do it justice.

Pros

It does everything you wish other programs would do. It's easy to fix any mistakes you make in your billing without having to contact the company for a complicated "work around" solution. If you do have an issue or a suggestion, the customer service department is very responsive.

Cons

I would like if bills could be further broken down into taxable disbursements and non-taxable disbursements. My assistant and I registered for the training, but were unable to log on at the assigned time, but became too busy to follow up with this, so we have muddled through on our own for the last year.

Garth from Garth R. Jackson, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

It is a very stable product that is continually getting better.

Some of the shortcomings that I initially identified as possible deal-breakers have been remedied within the short time that I have been using the product (ex. the failure of multi-day events to properly appear on the calendar system). I am hopeful that the "ease of use" issues are addressed over time (quickly). Again, a very nice product overall, that has demonstrated an ability and inclination to get better.

Pros

The integration of accounting and check preparation into the law practice package.

Cons

The calendar is not easy to view and use. Quite frankly, I merely have linked to to my Outlook Calendar and avoid using the Cosmo calendar entirely. The other "con" which surfaces each time I use it, is that when you cycle to matters or clients, you cannot simply begin to type a name and have the system go to the name in the list. Being forced to do a search each time you want to go to a listing is really a time waste.

Stephanie from Community Legal Access

Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex has made running our office easier than ever.

I cannot imagine how much work we would need to duplicate if we didn't have CosmoLex. I would recommend it to any practitioner, but especially to those who are solos or small firms.

Pros

We chose CosmoLex for our firm because we liked the bookkeeping integration. The system is extremely easy to use and more intuitive than QuickBooks.

Cons

Sometimes getting a call back on troubleshooting items can take a day or two. Usually my questions are not urgent, but if we ever needed something immediately, my worry is that it might not happen in time.

Brenda from Boyle & Anderson

Industry: Law Practice

CosmoLex is an easy program once you get going

Our peachtree program, timeslips program, and trust account (old CosmoLex desktop version) were all becoming unsupported, and/or being phased out. We did not use peachtree to its full capacity, timeslips program very slow, and not easy to work with.

Pros

After researching we were ready to go with an all in one program for the law firm. Cosmolex is an easy program once you get going. Fast and friendly customer support. Willing to take suggestions on how to improve program. There is more accuracy in the fact that advancements won't be missed when clients pay.

Cons

More training videos on the business side of the program. The day to day bills, etc. Show how you would enter a payroll journal. The business side needs improvement - a box that would come up on the memo portion of the check - for your account number for that vendor, and then the invoice that you are paying for. Being able to pay for multiple invoices from one vendor with one check.

Kristen from Morris Law

Industry: Law Practice

Everything is in one program

Pros

Everything is in one program, making it easy and accessible. It's also more cost-effective than purchasing numerous different programs to do the same things. It is user-friendly, and when you need support, they have great help available.

Cons

It is overwhelming to start. The trial period doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what the program can do and it takes months to become familiar with what can be done. There also seems to be quite a few differences between Canada and the US versions, with the US version having more options.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied August 2019

Hi Kristen, thank you for your honest feedback. We're thrilled to hear that you're enjoying the benefits of our integrated solution! We understand that practice management can be a daunting task to take on, which is why we make sure our support team is available to help you along the way, whenever you need it.

Alex from ZBV Law PC

Industry: Law Practice

I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn.

I came to Cosmolex because I was invited to a meet-and-greet with the CEO. He was great and really seemed passionate about the product, and that inspires passion in others. I saw him interact with other users and take into account their feedback and the changes they wanted to make to the product. When I tried it out for myself, I found that passion reflected in everyone else I talked to at the company and that's a great thing. It means that support really wants to help you, instead of just get rid of you. CosmoLex is a product that's updated regularly and that seems to really take into account what their users want to see, and that's perfect for me.

Pros

I found the user interface modern, straightforward, and easy to learn. It was also cloud-based, which is a plus, and I found support very helpful.

Cons

The UI can be very slow when moving from page to page. Certain tasks are difficult because pop-up windows exist only within the frame of the page and you can't move them around to reveal other data you might want to access to fill things out (like copying a regularly-used hard cost, for example). Some of the banking stuff was more difficult than necessary because it didn't let you enter things. For example, if a bill was paid by someone other than the client.

Randy from Total Lender Solutions

One of the most intuitive and robust programs out there.

Pros

Incredibly easy to use. We use it to manage our trust account (although I know it does so much more), and the reporting complies with the multiple states in which we hold licenses.

Cons

Why can't the font be easily changed for the address printing on checks? Due to the font, we cannot use a window envelope when mailing; we have to address another envelope. Also, would like for it to separate different trust accounts out easier to run reports.

Karen from Miller Law Office

I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks

I decided to hang up my own shingle, so I needed software to handle the management of my office, especially since it was going to be just me by myself to start out.

Pros

I love that you don't have to use Quickbooks to handle the money management aspect. Nothing against Quickbooks, but I don't have experience using it, and being a solo practitioner and needing to maximize the time I have, I appreciated not having to learn Quickbooks. I also think the interface is user-friendly, and I love how everything can be tied back to a matter. I also really like how my bank accounts are linked with CosmoLex, so reconciliation is easy to complete, and I also appreciate how the software works with Casemaker for tracking research for a specific matter. The best thing about CosmoLex, however, is the customer support. Not only are there humans available to help whenever I need assistance, but CosmoLex also provides a fantastic library of videos and FAQs, as well as weekly live training sessions. I don't ever worry that I'll be stuck without any help...they are always quick to respond to any issue I encounter.

Laura from Laura L. Davenport, LLC

Love this product

Love it

Pros

I like the Ease of use and customer service.

Cons

This product is not widely used by accountants.

Response from CosmoLex

Replied February 2020

Thank you for leaving your review, Laura! Your honest feedback is invaluable to the continued development of our product.

Christopher from Kaplan, Bogue & Cooper, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

We are very pleased with the overall experience

We are very pleased with the overall experience and moreso that CL has certified vendors that understand the software. This is how we found our current bookkeepers.

Pros

Bank Feeds make the consolidation between billing and accounting easy and we don't have to purchase two pieces of software.

Cons

While we are a small law firm, we do bank work and have lots of matters, meaning lots of invoices (We typically have 150-200 per month). The Cosmolex interface struggles with this, especially when it comes to batch invoicing and emailing bills. The system often lags or completely stalls when generating batch invoices.

William from Law Office of W. Douglas Lowe

I like the integration between the accounting and billing, something that was lacking with the program at my prior firm. I also find it very easy to bill time and generate invoices. I looked at a variety of programs when I opened my own practice and CosmoLex seemed to be the most user friendly.

Pros

It was less expensive than other programs I looked at while still having all of the features I need. I like the fact that it is cloud based which allows me to access it from anywhere. I live 20 miles from my office and can do my accounting work from home of an evening rather than take away from billiable time to do so or drive back to the office after hours. The training videos are great.

Cons

I would like to have the ability to bill more than 8 hours. While hardly an every day occurrence, when I am in trial, I may be in the Courtroom for ten or twelve hours depending on the Court. Right now I have to break that time up. I also have some large clients that want me to send bills to more than one address, depending on the project. Right now that is rather difficult to do automatically as I can only set up one billing address per client.

Noah from Colvin + Hallett, P.S.

Noah's Review of Cosmolex

Overall, Cosmolex is easier to use than TABS. Certain elements are great, but the slowness of the website and lack of features regarding specialized billing can be frustrating. The single best part of Cosmolex is their customer support staff that is always quick to help.

Pros

The best features of cosmolex are A) The intuitive nature of the platform. The categorization makes sense, and makes searching matters, seeing outstanding balances owed, and viewing trust fund balances easy. B) The accounts payable section is well put together and easy to use. C) Customer service is great.

Cons

I don't like how slow it runs - seems as if the website could run faster, also there are occasionally glitches and I need to close the browser and restart. Also, there is no feature for running bills for outstanding amounts due for clients without billable time for the month, and there is no feature for running courtesy bills for clients with no active time or amount due, but monies in trust.

Aaron from Coastal Legal Counsel

Great All In One CRM for Lawyers

It's been a great experience and I would highly recommend Cosmolex. I've used Clio as well and greatly prefer Cosmolex to Clio.

Pros

The functionality of the system is good and is relatively easy to use. The support features and articles are great. I've been able to solve most of my own issues without the need to submit a help ticket.