• Pros

• "Incredibly easy to use interface. Setup is simple, even if you know very little about accounting. It's been a great tool for our small business."

• "Wave is really user-friendly and easy to set up. Great software for keeping track of all my invoices and expenses!"

• "It was wonderfully easy to use, the invoices looked professional and payment processing features were handy. "

• Cons

• "I wish there were more reports to view. The ones available are great but basic and at times difficult to find the sort information. "

• "No card swipe option for payments, otherwise great"

• "Everything works fine in this app but there is no way to collect payment in India which is available in other countries, I hope they come up with that soon."

Browse Wave Reviews

Andi from Hummingbird Marketing Services LLC

Wave Shows Me the Money!

Before I used Wave, I was behind every month on my invoicing. I hated sending invoices, and I really, REALLY hated being the Collections person, asking my clients to pay their bills. Then I found Wave, and my whole life changed. I was able to get set up super quickly, connect to my bank, add my clients' contact information, and set up the template for my invoices. Now, I have "Monthly Invoicing" on my calendar, and it takes me about 15 minutes to handle the task (instead of 2 hours). My favorite emails are, "Congrats! You Got Paid!" from Wave. I feel fantastic!

Pros

Wave has absolutely changed my business for the better. It used to take me about 2 hours a month to do my invoicing, which I hated doing, and so I avoided it. Now, I handle monthly invoicing in about 15 minutes. Plus, as new clients come in or one-off projects are completed, I can send the invoices quicklylike 5 minutes. So ease of use is absolutely the first thing I love about Wave. Second, as a small business owner, I am in charge of acquiring new clients, executing the work, invoicing for the work, and then acting as collections when clients are late in paying. With Wave, I check a simple box that sends reminders to the client when things are past due. What a relief! It's coming from "my accounting department" rather than me. Hallelujah! Third, the payment process is so easy for my clients! They can pay any way they wantcheck, credit card, bank, whatever. It's so easy for them, and I have had zero complaints. It's also fantastic to know when clients have (or haven't) viewed the invoice. And getting the emails from Wave announcing that I've been paid are the best emails of the day. The fact that all of this amazingness is free? That's just the icing on the cake. Thank you, Wave!

Cons

My only issue with Wave is probably a rare use-case. I manage invoicing for a client of mine. (Side note: Wave made it SO EASY for me to be an admin of her account but not the manager, and I can log into my account to access hers. It is AWESOME!) She sells programs, and her clients generally pay in one invoice. Occasionally, her clients need to pay in installments. It was not easy to set up a recurring invoice for only three months to send to the client, especially without a credit card on file. I had to create three different invoices, and label them as Installment #1, #2, etc. However, I recognize that this is probably a one-off user scenario that not many people would need. And I can't complain when the tool is free, and I found a workaround.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

Honestly, it seemed ridiculous to pay a monthly fee and such high service charges with ProCharge. I'm not big enough nor do I send enough invoices to justify the cost. For Invoicely, the free plan accepts PayPal payments only, so this would be difficult for many of my clients that are businesses and don't use a PayPal account. And there's no branding available. Wave just offers a perfect solution for small businesses that's free while still being robust. I love it!

Great Free Accounting Tool

We use it for multiple businesses and a non-profit as we are a small cluster of social enterprises that work hand in hand with each other. We are really enjoying working with this software and it has helped us tremedously, all while not costing us a penny!

Pros

On the positive side, this software's functionality is almost up to par with other options that cost a lot of money. Wave is free and for that price what they offer is unbeatable. It is a fully featured accouting software, as it is a web app, it means multiple people can use it simultaniously and it also works great for a virtual team. I like that it is made with non-accountants in mind. For example, when entering transactions there are "Accounts" - but these are only Accounts as a nun-accountant will understand: Cash, Bank, Owners Investment etc. - everything else is called "Categories". This makes it easier for someone not too versed in finances to understand - but behind the scenes Categories are Accounts, just like they always were (e.g. Office Supply Expense Account) - small and simple changes like this make it very easy to use even for a financial analphabet. Two mobile apps compliment the accounting software, one for writing invoices on the go, the other for scanning and (auto)recording expense receipts.

Cons

On the downside, and this can be a big one, you are not able to properly close a period. This means anyone with permission to enter transactions can go and change entries from last year, or add some. This can make things really messy and I hope they add a function where an administrator can close a period such as a month, so that no more changes can be made. Further, you can add other users, but the type of users are quite limited. I wish this could be controlled on a more granular level, e.g. there is the option to add a 'viewer' who cannot edit anything. The next level is somoene who can enter all types of transactions (you can turn of access to bank entries and writing invoices) but it would be nice if there was one where I can let someone add receipts with the mobile app but not do anything else.

Wonderful accounting software for starting and growing a service business

I haven't gone through a tax season with my business yet, but I have been an independent consultant and I anticipate having everything tracked in Wave is going to help me out a lot come April. It's so easy to use and I can focus on my core business rather than spending a lot of time on admin.

Pros

Wave helps me do so much. I can issue invoices, track them (I.e. I can see when a client has viewed it!), and allow clients to make payments directly through the invoice. I can also customize my invoice, which is great. I could do all of this from day 1. I'm a solopreneur and launched my business this summer. I was able to issue professional invoices from day 1 and track my expenses using their receipts app. The other thing I love about Wave is that they are very interested in feedback from their customers. I've had a few interactions with them and it's always been really pleasant. It's also free which helps me out a lot. I do use the credit card payments, which has a fee like any other service would.

Cons

Their mobile app could use some work, and I've given them this feedback. The receipts app is great to take pictures really quickly, but I generally have to use the browser to do anything else.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

The core software was pricey and I could have easily used Word and Excel and if I wanted a 'free' option. I also didn't need all the bells and whistles, so paying so much for this service didn't make sense for me.

June 2015

Josh from Leo Burnett

June 2015

I want to like Wave, and have been trying for years

..., but I need them to help me figure it out. I have a full-time salaried job as a copywriter and a few self-employment careers, like freelance writing, voice acting. I've always found doing my taxes to be a nightmare. I'd spend months stressing about it and trying to calculate income and expenses. Originally, I was adding up all my expenses with a calculator. When I discovered I could put things into Excel, it got a bit easier add numbers. And then about 4 or 5 years ago, I started using a new accountant, and he suggested Wave to me. I was excited to hear that it would important my bank and credit card statements, and that I could then quickly and easily categorize everything. I was sure this would save me so much time and stress. But I found Wave very hard to use. I wasn't sure how to create my own categories. I could never tell if my statements had been uploaded completely, and I would often wind up with duplicate transactions. And I still can't find a way to view the categories after I've allocated transactions to them. I tweeted to Wave a lot, and they were nice enough to send one their IT guys to sit with me in a coffee shop for a few hours. He watched as I tried to do things and he gave me help. He said this was useful to him, to see what people might be having trouble with. And, I figured I would then be ok. But I'm still having a lot of trouble. I'm not asking a lot. All I want to be able to do is import my bank statements and credit card statements, and categorize all the transactions. And being able to invoice people would be nice too. And it seems that his app has those features. But I still find it very complicated. I don't understand the categories. I can't find where the totals are. And lately, my mbna Mastercard has been saying it can't link to Wave. So tonight, I went in and started deleting all the transactions from 2014, hoping that I could start fresh and be sure that everything was imported correctly. But now I see that mbna won't give me the data files for before August (that's an mbna problem, not Wave) and I can't undelete what I deleted. And there's no way to get support without paying for it. But I don't want to pay until I'm confident the site can do the simple things I need it to do. Anyway, I'd love to support a local Toronto company. And I appreciate that someone from the company sat with me in person. And I see people reviewing positively, saying it makes a freelancers life easy. Someone even tweeted today that Wave makes doing accounting fun. But I just don't understand how people are able to use this site. If someone from the company, or one of the satisfied customers, could explain to me how to use this site properly, I'd love to be converted. But at this point, I fear I need to cut my loses and simplify my life by paying for some other software. I just want to be able to file my taxes and concentrate on my creative projects.

Pros

It seems like it offers the ability to import credit card and bank statements, categorize expenses, and invoice people. Those are the features I want. But...

Cons

...I haven't been able to figure out how to smoothly and accurately use the features I want. This app is making my life harder than it was when I just manually typed in all my expenses into a Microsoft Word and added them up with a calculator.

Response from Wave Accounting Inc.

Replied September 2015

Thanks for sharing with us your experience. Firstly, thanks for being such a valuable customer over the years. We especially appreciate your patience trying to make WaveApps work for your financials. We have available Premium Support for customers who are getting started with Wave. We suggest those looking to best learn work arounds, and setting up proper customizations subscribe to our chat and phone support (unlimited - 9am-5pm EDT M-F) - $49 for three months. You can place a call and speak to one of our product specialists to help you work through your challenge. If you could reach out to me jdaly@waveapps.com. We'll try to match you with a member of our team to help troubleshoot since you have invested your valuable time into Wave to manage your business financials. Jennifer from Wave

Suzanne from Suzanne Rushton Photography

Industry: Photography

Wave error messed up my entire system and they want to charge me $3000 to fix it

It was good while it lasted, before their system made my data unusable. They really tried to be helpful, I chatted with several friendly people online, all of whom were unable to resolve my issues. They were unable to refer me to a WaveApps specialist in my area. Ultimately their solution was to offer me one of their bookkeepers at a cost of $3000 to fix the problem they created. No thanks.

Pros

Cons

TLDR: Major syncing, reconciling and support issues Two of my accounts synced twice (so I had four accounts in Wave where there should have been two) and they were unable to fix this. Their suggested fixes did not work. They have chat and email support but no phone support and even though they logged in as an admin they were unable to fix this problem. A recent update to their system caused my entire past four years of records to be unreconciled, and the only fix was to go back to the beginning of time and compare each transaction ever made. They offered me a bookkeeper to do this for me for $269/month for a minimum of 12 months, despite my being very diligent about keeping my account up to date for the past four years. I have switched to another system now.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

Essentially an acquaintance was using waveapps and it looked like it would be great.

Kathy from Lazer Web Services

Very Good alternative for invoicing customers

Their invoicing system is easy to use and makes it easy for me to manage most of my clients.I look forward to trying out their accounting services. I decided to give Wave a try when my PayPal acct was on hold. I still use both.

Pros

I have only used the invoicing part of this software. I love it for the most part. I =t is missing a feature or two

Cons

I found that I could not let my clients submit partial payments, or it wasn't clear on how to do it. Multiple payments was not flexible enough for my needs. I would have liked to be able to schedule the payments by specific date rather than genericall as ay, week, month, etc

Rex from Inspire Business Solutions, Inc.

Great Software!

It has been great using the software and it really helps to invoice and allow our customers to pay by credit card, with us not having to pay a base monthly fee. They off a quick pay feature were you can get your money instantly. They offer payroll services, which we have yet to use, but seem to be cheaper than most others. I highly recommend small businesses check them out.

Pros

It has all the basic needs for a small business accounting software. Its cloud based and its FREE! The software is free, and if you want to have them process credit cards, they charge a very good rate, and not monthly fees. Does email invoicing and repeat monthly billing.

Cons

Needs real inventory control. Would be nice if it had a way to enter inventory that would allow you to track volume sold and cost, sales prices, etc. Right now the inventory part is lacking.

April from Anytime Cleaning Services

Best Free Software For Card Processing!

My overall experience is great! I love this product!

Pros

That it is free and I am able to process all of my customer and vendor payments without having a monthly subscription fee.

Cons

That it can take sometimes 2 full business days to receive my payments into my bank account. I wish the deposit time was able to be in one day rather than two days.

Mario from BUWW coverings inc

Wave Review

Excellent! Very happy and satisfied since it has everything I need and more.

Pros

Simple. Easy and efficient. I love being able to send invoices and collect money through links send in emails. Time saver. Also it integrates your banks with payment and keeps account of your money in bank. This real-time accounting feature did it for me.

Cons

Ive never had any cons except one, I cant send estimates or create them for that matter, on the mobile app! It would be perfect it it had that.

Wave was free!

Lilian from Lilz Digital

Accounting made easy

Wave comes in very handy, enabling me to balance off ledger books, sent quotations and capture receipts.

Pros

Its offer great accounting functionality, where I am also able to generate invoices and email them to clients. You can also configure so that recurring payments can be automatically sent on the set date. Logos and contact details are also included to give it a more professional look

Cons

It does not have inventory tracking which then makes it longer to compile and reconcile the details.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

It keeps me organized by allowing me to capture my income and expenses as well as other payments. Wave is quite easy to use as well as simple functionalities yet giving amazing results.

Corinne from Corinne Pomroy RMT

Satisfied daily user since 2015

I'm a sole proprietor of a service-based clinic, and I sell a very small amount of retail product (less than $500 per year). I use Wave to generate customer invoices, track payments, organize expense receipts, calculate taxes payable, and run reports. The app does allow for a "Personal" account which I do not currently use to my advantage but I plan to incorporate that into daily use next year to help keep better track of my overall financial situation.

Pros

Wave is free to use which makes it excellent for my small business. It has an app to facilitate easy upload of receipts for my expenses. Being cloud-based enables me to access my accounting from my clinic or my home office (or on the go) with ease in real-time. It syncs with my RBC account to import my transactions and is very user-friendly. Customer service is friendly and responsive.

Cons

My complaints about this software are very minor. There is an option to "save and send" invoices by email with a single mouse click, but to print the invoices takes three clicks. My other complaint is that there is no simple Customer Statement to print. The Customer Statement that is available shows every transaction posted, so for most of my clients there will be three entries for each visit to my clinic; one invoice date, one copay payment, and one insurance payment applied. I would prefer to be able to generate this statement showing a list which includes ONLY the invoice date and total amount charged. They are very minor complaints. I am quite pleased with this product.

Felix from PricewaterhouseCoopers

A Solid Free Small Business Accounting Software

Its been a solid piece of cloud accounting software, albeit limited. Its hard to beat the price of it, and I have yet to find a similar but more fully featured one at the price of FREE!

Pros

I use Wave to keep track of my personal finances, from income to spending. In that lens, Wave performs quite well, allowing you to tag transactions that are automatically imported from your bank. It also lets you generate some simple reports such as your income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow. The interface is simple to use and understand, and I was able to pick it up (coming from an accounting background) in under a few minutes, without having gone through a walkthrough. The included ability to reconcile statements is also quite handy and allows me to verify that all transactions are posted appropriately. The inclusion of receipt tracking and tagging is also quite handy! The best part about Wave is the price! If you dont need features such as invoicing and payroll (some SMBs may find these handy. From a personal perspective, I did not), the accounting software is completely free.

Cons

Wave still appears to be in its infancy, although the product has been there for a while. The user interface will frequently be updated (the reconciliation flow changed 3 times since I signed up about 6 months ago), and new features will constantly be added without any notification, often shifting often things around from where you expect them to be. The reports from Wave are also very limited, so dont expect any customizable reports as of 08/2019. You get about 12 reports total, some or all of which may not be very relevant to you, depending on your end goal. These reports are completely canned, system generated, and you do not have the ability to create new reports. This may change in the future, but as it stands, this is the current state of affairs. The receipt tracking feature is definitely handy to have. While Wave will OCR your receipts and tag them to a category, it will actually post an entire transaction to the ledger when you save it down. For those of us with a bank account and credit card linked to auto import transactions, youll get a duplicate: one from the CC, and one from the receipt. It would be nice if Wave included some intelligence to automatically match the receipt and transaction together, but for now, you need to manually merge each. Finally, as a small point, Wave does not obtain any service assurance through SOC1 or SOC2 reports, an issue that most people wouldnt ever care about.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

I mostly chose Wave over Xero for the price. As Im using this for personal finance tracking, and not a small business, I didnt want to have to pay Xeros rather pricy monthly subscription.

Clay from Panhandle Lodging RV Park

Exactly what I want in a small business accounting software

Very stress free. For a free app, you expect the quality to not be as high, but overall Wave has been very reliable. I didn't really want to pay $30+ a mo for Quickbooks when all I need is for my transactions to be categorized. Wave does this well, so glad it is free. I did use the chat once and had very good experience, although I think I saw they were disabling chat except for people that have paid for support or something, so that's a bummer. But I understand, they have to get paid somehow so I'm not complaining.

Pros

I love the simplicity. We are just a small business, so the primary purpose of using this app is to categorize all my expenses, so once tax time rolls around, I just have to send the tax lady a breakdown of my income and expenses. Once a week or so, I'll log in to check all the transactions it imported from my bank account. It auto categorizes most of them which is awesome, I just have to click the check mark button to verify it was categorized correctly. Then once tax season rolls around, I just run the income statement report and send it to the tax office. I even have created a review account for the tax lady to be able to log in and see my business finances. We are just a simple business so we probably don't use some of the more advanced features, but it does what I want and best of all, it's F-R-E-E. I do also like the payroll and invoicing options if we need that in the future, although that is unlikely for our business.

Cons

For some reason, they disabled the ability for deposits to be auto categorized. This is my most common type of bank transactions, since all credit card payments are deposited into my account a few days after they process, so I have tons of transactions I have to go manually mark as the 'Sales' category. I did talk to customer support over chat about this though, and the lady agreed this would be extremely useful so they are looking into this.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

Quickbooks because they are the de-facto standard, and because I would trust their reliablility. However, I just didn't like their price. They have the deal to start off with for the first x months, but it always doubles in price after that period. If Wave didn't exist, i'd probably have gone with quickbooks or paid for Zipbooks.

Dane from Boundless Bookkeeping & Accounting LLC

Wave is a Great Accounting Suite - and it's FREE!

Pros

Wave is a great piece of accounting software that rivals Quickbooks and Xero. The biggest winner, which it obvious to anyone who has researched Wave as an accounting platform for their small business: its FREE! Both Quickbooks and Xero have fairly low-cost pricing models for small businesses that range all the way to fairly high-cost for larger businesses. Wave, on the other hand, is specifically tailored to the small business, and offers only features popular with those businesses. But, because of this, their base accounting software is completely free. Their only products you would be billed for would be payroll or credit card processing, both of which are priced competitively to Quickbooks/Intuits and Xeros offerings as well. Wave also offers a lot of the same features, including automatic bank and credit card feeds, customized charts of accounts, multiple businesses on one account, smart expense categorization (software learns over time), and more.

Cons

Wave does have its limitations and is more basic than Quickbooks or Xero, especially to us accountants who can see the glaring differences. However, even as an accountant and bookkeeper, I recommend Wave to a lot of my smaller clients whose biggest consideration is cost, simply because you cant beat free. Plus, a lot of the additional features that offerings like Quickbooks or Xero feature, smaller businesses will not always utilize anyway, so Wave fits them perfectly. All-in-all, there are no large drawbacks.

Jack from JEM Software

Wave has amazing functionality for a free product, but it's not as good as it should be

I have been using Accounting by Wave for nearly three years. It was a replacement for my Simply Accounting program. I am forever wondering how Wave can afford to make such a polished product available at no cost. Initially, there were ads, but now that they have a revenue stream from additional services, the ads have been removed. I have opted not to use their in-built payment processing feature, but I imagine it would be similar to Paypal in terms of the fees. Day-to-day operation of the program is smooth. They use a Zapier interface to my bank to update balances and download transactions. This interface is quite slow, although the speed has improved somewhat over the years. As bank transactions are imported, they are categorized into various income/expense categories. I find the categorization to be fairly unhelpful. Even after the user changes the categorization of transactions, Wave does not remember these settings. The next time data is downloaded, it will use the same, incorrect categories as the previous time. Wave is currently rolling out a new version of their software, which promises improvements to the AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities. I hope this means they will remember user-defined categorizations, but until my account is updated, I cannot speculate. There is one VERY ANNOYING bug in the program that I have described in the CONS section, since I've run out of space here.

Pros

The software is FREE for everything other than PAYROLL and PAYMENT PROCESSING. If you don't use those components, there is absolutely no charge. For the most part, it is user-friendly and straightforward, and the quality of its printed invoices, customer statements and reports is top-notch. I really appreciate the ability to create recurring invoices (subscription billing) and view monthly income/expense bar charts for a 1- or 2-year period.

Cons

This is bookkeeping software that stresses simple data entry. However, it doesn't have features such as audit trails for transaction entries. With this program, it is possible to generate transactions, generate reports, and then reverse the transactions without any way of knowing that changes were made. Wave attempts to categorize your income and expenditures, but doesn't currently have the ability to remember your categorizations. But the thing I like least about this software is a BUG that causes the program to download bank transactions and incorrectly categorize them as duplicates of previously downloaded transactions if the transaction amounts match. This bug makes it difficult to find transactions when you are attempting to reconcile your transactions.

Chris from ziggylady

Great alternative to Quickbooks for small biz users

I have two small e-commerce business, and needed a way to track my inventory purchases, sales, shipping expenses, etc. I also had two independent contractor businesses, needing to track expenses such as mileage, supplies, etc. With Wave, I have each venture as a separate company, I can customize the chart of accounts for each one, create invoices for my independent contractor gigs, track invoice status so I don't overlook if something doesn't get paid on time, and review my income and expenses each month. I sometimes do consignment sales for clients in my e-commerce business, and Wave helps me keep track of those sales and settle up with clients each month. Truly a lot of great features offered, and I don't even use all of them (like Banking & Payroll). So glad I found Wave, and I have recommended it to many others.

Pros

Wave offers a lot of the basic accounting functions needed for small business users, and the best part is that it's FREE TO USE! Woo hoo! I used QuickBooks in my previous career, and liked the detail it provided, but once I started my own small e-commerce business, I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software, or get locked into a recurring monthly subscription. I was thrilled to find Wave and amazed that it was FREE!

Cons

I wish there was a keyword search function in the Transactions section. Sometimes I need to look for a specific transaction but don't remember the exact date it occurred, so have to scroll through several pages to find what I'm seeking. A workaround is to export an Income Statement, then search or sort in Excel, but obviously that takes several extra steps and time. But since it's not costing me anything, this is a minor inconvenience.

Miguel from MiAGon LLC

Accounting, with all the bells and whistles, no costs.

My business accounting needs are not big. My business is small and provides a limited number of offerings that are easily tracked with any application. So, when I was looking for an accounting solution to further simplify and automate some functions, I was surprised at the number of products and the wide range of prices out there. I stumbled across Wave by accident and decided to give it a try. Besides being free, the list of standard features was greater than all other products out there... from free competitive services to paid basic subscriptions. Wave is truly amazing and I have found it extremely helpful. I use it primarily to bill clients: I create invoices, submit them via email, receive payments online, and request receipts to be sent to clients after payment. Wave provides notifications and simplifies all of my accounting in one place. I would not use any other product.

Pros

Wave is free, and packed with features one would typically pay for in other premium products. Wave is the perfect accounting solution for small businesses. For starters, it offers all the essential features ANY business needs... plus more. Manage estimates, invoices, and statements with ease. It even supports recurring invoicing, manage payments, and build a massive library of products and services to choose from for your estimates and invoices. Wave even manages receipts, bills and vendors to track expenses. Like more control than just simple single entries? Wave supports traditional double-entry accounting as well, for increase control of your business accounting needs. Need to accept credit card payments? Wave has a built-in merchant account feature that let's you collect payments online through your invoices. Make email invoices, or attach them as PDF files. And when you get paid, Wave notifies you. Funds are transferred to your connected business account in a couple of days. Reporting? Wave has you covered. All essential reports are available at your fingertips: financial statements, taxes, customers, vendors, and other general reports. And if your business has employees, Wave can handle your payroll. But this feature is a premium... everything else is part of your free account.

Elly from ACS Quantum Design

OBSESSED

From the beginning, it has been fantastic. I manage all of my business accounting through it. I don't even remember how I found it so many years ago, but I cannot say enough good things about it!

Pros

This makes my accounting SO EASY! Not only am able to easily keep track of my expenses and costs associated with my business, but I'm able to create, issue, and track invoices. AND, to top it off, the invoices are so nice looking (which, as a designer, is a big deal to me). I can not only issue invoices, but track whether they have been opened, viewed, and/or paid. And when it comes to figuring out my taxes, the system makes it so simple to get whatever information I need. Finally, while I don't use it yet, I will be enabling online payments this upcoming year so my customers can pay their invoices online. Based on my experience thus far, I have NO doubt it will be great!

Cons

This is a difficult one as I really don't have a dislike.... If I really think about it, I guess I wish I could have different addresses (for me) on difference invoices based on the customer. I have two locations so it would be nice to be able to just issue invoices with different business addresses based on the customer.

Mark from FCV Interactive

Small business accounting, invoicing, credit card processing for minimal cost

Pros

As many other reviews have stated, there is no subscription cost for Wave, which is great. There have been a number of features added to Wave since I started to use it, such as recurring invoicing/credit card processing and direct bank payments. Wave's support is helpful, money is transferred quickly, and my invoices look great. I am providing a more detailed review than I did the first time, but I have "sung the praises" of Wave a few times. (Including on Twitter, and they promptly thanked me for it - they listen, which is great). Wave is Canadian, and they are based in Toronto, but that is only one reason I chose to work with their service. I have a couple of complaints about their service, but nothing serious enough which would cause me to switch services. The flexibility of PDF/web-based invoices is great, retains client details, and it just gets the job done for me as a freelancer.

Cons

On a few occasions, my invoices got picked up by my clients' spam filters, so I tend to use the PDF invoice option. Not a big issue, I've followed up on it. Also if I take payment through PayPal, I can get paid in US funds, but I have to invoice in Canadian funds only through Wave because my bank is in Canada (even if I have a US funds account). Oh well, again, no big deal. Apparently, there is auto-reconcile of transactions through AI functionality in Wave's future, which will address another pet peeve I have, but again no big deal.

Easy to use and helpful

Easy, almost fully automated bookkeeping. The invoicing and payment features automatically updates my books when I get paid, the bank connection means that I only have to reconcile my account to make sure everything is ok.

Pros

This is great for the very new or very small business. It's easy to use and has all of the basic features that you will need for an unbeatable price. It's very easy to use and the documentation and support have been very helpful. There is no phone option but live chat is available and I have never had to wait more than a day for an e-mail response. It is truly free to use for accounting. You have the options of accepting credit card and bank payments for a very competitive rate. The only other cost is for payroll if you were to use that feature. The software is in active development and since I started using it they have added great features such as Invoicing app, recurring payments, and bank payments and it keeps getting better.

Cons

Limited reporting, you get all of the basics that you will need to measure your financial health, receivables, etc but there are no custom reports. While you can very easily reconcile your bank account, you can't print a reconciliation report. There is no class/job tracking feature and while it looks like many users have requested it, it doesn't look like the developers are planning on implementing it anytime soon. So if your business needs this feature, this is not the right option for you.

Gregg from ASSOCIATED CHURCH PRESS

Free accounting with added features and mobile tools

Really powerful accounting software with automated tools for transaction importing, electronic payment processing and mobile tools for expense entry and invoice creation. Excellent for the price, knowing the service fees for payments and payroll offset the "free" price tag is more than worth it compared to the competition.

Pros

Wave allows me to keep track of finances for multiple enterprises - self-employment business, a non-profit, and personal finances. Each account was set up using the Wave wizard and very few changes have been made to the overall function beyond that. The non-profit I manage has a series of account codes that were easily added and applied to transactions. I use multiple income streams for my business and they are all imported automatically. Wave charges for things like payroll administration, credit card processing and bank transfers - all at industry standard rates - and that's how they keep the base platform free. The mobile expense app helps me keep track of receipts and does a really excellent job of deciphering receipts, even in multiple languages and currencies! The mobile invoice app is great for sending quick invoices or following up with clients on payment. Also allows viewing and reporting for authorized agents who can't change any data - a needed feature for the separation of financial powers required with most non-profit setups. My accountant can take a peek too.

Cons

One feature that is present in most accounting systems is the ability to categorize an expense as a reimbursed expense and then assign it to an invoice - at cost or with a markup. With Wave, I needed to set up a separate "reimbursed expenses" account and then - via double entry - add the expense onto invoices with a "reimbursed expense" account code. If entered at cost, the balances zero out in the reporting. If there is a markup, the income category is "reimbursed expense", which isn't helpful for year-end accounting.

Belinda from Seed Stock Media, llc

Simple Online Invoicing - Accounting Tool

As a small freelance shop, we needed an invoicing program with accounting capabilities that was simple to learn and use as well as being flexible enough for multiple devices. We tried several other programs but they were either too expensive or too complicated, with many functions we didnt need, or were too hard to learn. It took very little time for us to learn and set up Wave Accounting for our office and start using the invoicing feature. We're quite pleased with the program.

Pros

We found Wave to be easy to learn and set up and it allowed us to connect to both bank and credit card accounts. Invoicing is easy and flexible allowing us to download a pdf and attach to an email for a client or to send directly from Wave. Our clients can print the invoice and mail us a check or pay online with a credit or debit card through Wave. Waves fees are competitive for processing the funds. The funds are directly deposited into our connected bank account, usually within two business days. The invoicing features were our biggest need and the program allows us to send the invoice, send reminders, mark paid and send receipts. Setting up the chart of accounts was probably the most challenging, but there is a default chart which can be edited or added to and we easily found tutorials online. Their customer service was quite responsive to our questions. The reports function gave us what we needed for monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting. All in all, Wave was a great solution for our invoicing and accounting needs.

Cons

We needed some specific tax calculations but found there was no way to add a specific formula into the tax account. This requires manual entries for us. Because the program is a streamlined accounting version, which is what we really like, it does have some limitations.

Al from Computer Consulting

Industry: Computer Networking

Great Software for Small Business (Beta User)

I started a business and wanted to avoid getting locked into the Quickbooks infrastructure like last time. Wave Accounting online was successful in helping me with that goal! I found everything I needed for income and tax reporting as a small business. Wave Accounting made me look very professional with the ability to email invoices and collect payment using credit cards. Issues I encountered included occasional sync problems with my checking account (similar to issues's I've had with MINT by Intuit). When I decided to change from Suntrust bank to a local credit union I went a couple of months without ability to sync my accounts. Customer support (by email) was friendly and adequate. Some features like payroll are paid features. Processing credit cards will cost you a percentage of each transaction (4% it was at the time I used it). Some features like paying 1099 (contract) employees were very necessary for small business but still in development while I used the software (it works now). I didn't personally find anything else fundamental missing but I'm not an accountant - I'm an IT guy who wanted to do my own books. Wave fit my needs exactly and will probably be enough for you. During the time I owned and operated my business I may have saved over $300/year and avoided the frustration of working with the crazy behemoth that is Quickbooks (however my credit card fees added up to about twice that). If I were starting over again today I would have to carefully reconsider and compare with Quickbooks Online. I would NEVER willfully choose to run their desktop products. Cloud based products with online support and integrated security features is the current way to go.

Pros

Cloud

Cons

Support

Belinda from Seed Stock Media, llc

Simple Back Office Accounting

Wave seems to be a company looking toward the future for small businesses. With their affordable, cloud based solution they also offer a receipt app for adding images to the expense files. There are many other integrations I expect to use in the future via the Wave Zapier connection. I have been using it for a year now and am just so pleased with how Wave works.

Pros

For small studios, new and busy entrepreneurs who trying to generate enough revenue to hire or outsource the accounting functions, Wave is like an answer to prayer. It is easy to open an account, it has all the accounting ledgers that the tax accountant needs, it connects to read-only of bank accounts and credit card accounts, and did I mention it is a free cloud-based solution. The user interface is easy to understand. You can create and send invoices as well as connect a business bank account to receive payment with Credit or Debit cards. The bank fees are the same as other payment processors at 3% currently. The invoicing function allows for automatically reminding clients when their invoice is getting close to being due and when it is overdue. Once the money is received it is a simple click or two to mark the invoice paid and tell it which account the money was received into. Like other complicated accounting software, Wave allows for setting up products, sales tax and customers. Unlike the complicated ones, it is easy to do. Running sales tax reports is a piece of cake. There are options for running employee payroll, too. All in all, because of the Wave accounting solution, I am no longer afraid of the books and can easily keep up with the administration of the financial side of my business.

Cons

It would be helpful if there were more tutorials available, but because the program is easy to set up, it has not been a big problem to figure things out or find third-party tutorials online.

Jenny from Bendigo Baptist Church

What an amazing product!!!

Easy management of all financial needs for my not for profit; accounting, invoicing, billing, payment tracking, payroll management, finance management and receipts.

Pros

This accounting package is a fully functional, forever free, product that has turned me, a nuffer when it comes to bookkeeping/accounting to someone who almost knows what they are doing. I have ALWAYS avoided the finance side of the non for profit with which I work as a volunteer, but circumstances forced me to get at least a working knowledge and Wave has made it so easy. The package comes complete with accounting, invoicing, billing, payment tracking, payroll management, finance management and receipts. It also does bank reconciliations and lots of different reports. All of this was far more than we needed. I read some of their FAQs then launched myself. Made some mistakes as I set up customers but was able to fix it fairly easily. Our invoices look so professional now and I can schedule them to send reminders. It links to over 90 banking institutions (ours included- yay!) and that has made tracking payments and and creating reports SO easy. The transaction stuff is easy to modify, and deposits can be split and allocated to the correct chart of accounts if they were all paid in one payment. The income and expenses for your budget are easy to set up (chart of accounts) and it has things I definitely have no idea about like equity and assets! You can add guest contributors, and allocated them ac There is an option to use credit card payments. That is the only cost. We have chosen not to use that yet, but I think we will, moving forward.

Cons

You can upload a .cvs file with all your customers, but it has to be SO exact that I could not succeed at all and inputted my customers manually. As there were only about 60 it was not too bad. Support were good, but slow, and I had done the manual input before they replied.

Shaye from Investment Management

Industry: Wine and Spirits

accounting and bookkeeping as easy as it gets

Overall, I'm quite happy. It was an accounting software that came with my banking when I opened a new business account. It has exceeded my expectations in terms of its capabilities and user friendliness. Anyone can use it without having an accounting degree.

Pros

Bookkeeping is one of my least favorite things about owning a business but this application has helped quite a bit. It makes it super easy to track invoices and collect payments. Invoices are extremely professional looking and easy to edit and update.

Cons

I have a tough time figuring out how to use two different currencies and still maintain consistency. There are also a couple of things that I have yet to explore and for that reason I still use a spreadsheet.

Jeff from Brewchee Design

Free and Simple Accounting Web Application

I was surprised that a fee accounting web application had all the features that I wanted. The Invoice, Client, and Product tools all worked as expected. I have not had a single issue in the past 7+ years of using this.

Pros

I do a small amount of freelance work in addition to my full time job. I was looking for a way to keep track of my hours and send invoices. I didn't need anything fancy, but a spreadsheet just wasn't cutting it. I wasn't making enough from freelancing to pay a lot for accounting software or an accounting service, but it was becoming a necessity. I was surprised to find a free option that wasn't missing the features I needed. I have been using Accounting by Wave for over 7 years and Always recommend it to any freelancer that I meet.

Cons

There was a bit of a Learning Curve to this web application, but that may have just been with inexperience with any accounting application. Also I initially wasn't thrilled with the watermarks that go out on the invoices, but I was ultimately okay with this remembering that it is a free application.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

Simple, it's free, and it does everything that I need it to do.

Great bookkeeping solution for online businesses

Very good value and great solution for small businesses and startup. Improvements over the years have shown forward looking development team which other providers often seem to lack.

Pros

Best overall value for online bookkeeping solution. Due to changes in recent years with other similar platforms as far as pricing structures, updates, and feature implementation, Wave accounting seems to have become best overall value for small businesses and startups in our opinion. Easily allows connection and synchronization with virtually all major financial institutions and saves tremendous amounts of bookkeeping time. It used to run very slow, had an unintuitive interface, and feel outdated. However, they have made many changes in the right direction in the past few years with a new interface, faster platform, and very competitive optional plans that include payroll service and payment processing.

Cons

The biggest downside is that everything is limited to income and expense. It would be nice to have the ability to generate balance sheets which is required for any corporate filings. I feel it cannot be considered a comprehensive accounting platform if limited to income and expenses only.

Sarah from Pendant Creative

Great Web Based Accounting Solution for my Business

I now have a very clean and easy to understand accounting and invoicing software. It's a quick learn and easy and fast to use so I can focus on my clients.

Pros

I love that this is free and has the ability to do more complicated accounting that my business requires. It has a clean UI, the Receipts app works perfectly, and my client facing invoicing system looks professional. I love that I can set up recurring invoices, different rates for services, payment reminders to clients, and email confirmations of payment. The accounting side has the ability to create more detailed journal entries that my LLC / contractor based business has. And I can run very good reports for data that I need to monitor. And so far the entire software has every feature that I've needed.

Cons

When you go to create a new expense account, you can't just add a new one, you have to change the name of an existing option in their system. It's a bit weird and annoying, but small price to pay for free and useful software. Also I don't actually have Wave synced with my bank account. I did that initially, then realized if I load a receipt, it was double booking my entries (1. the receipt I uplodaded and 2. the transaction from my bank account). Turns out this is common with accounting softwares and most people I talked to don't sync their bank accounts for this very reason. Again, small price to pay for a great software, and it's really super quick for me to enter my transactions as my way of reconciling my bank account.

Michi from 4M

Online bookkeeping

Overall it has been a good experience with Wave. I enjoy that the options I need are free at the moment and the option to charge and collect through Wave is there for me to use in the future. I also like that their customer service is responsive and you can chat when you have questions.

Pros

I enjoy being able to access my information no matter where I am. The ability to create and send invoices from anywhere is important for my business. I also enjoy that I can help manage multiple businesses from one login.

Cons

There's a small issue with tax computation whereby the rounding takes place at the line item level and is causing in certain instances a small overcharge (Penny to pennies) on the tax. They are aware of this issue. Hopefully, it will be resolved.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

Enjoyed the features, especially the option to manage multiple companies.

Paul from The League of Analysts Inc

Simple, Cloud-Based, and Integrates Well

Simple, easy to use, consolidates many banking accounts into a single reporting system, good invoicing features and the mobile app for invoicing is pretty good.

Pros

Invoicing has improved greatly with the additional of bank transfers (fee is 1%) so you can kiss the 3 or 4% credit card fees goodbye. This may not make a huge cost savings for those businesses with small ticket items but higher priced ticket items using the bank transfer option save a good chunk of change. Invoices are easy to generate and pay either via the desktop or mobile application. Our organization has multiple banking accounts and we use this tool to consolidate it all into one report. Reporting is solid and meets our basic needs for balance sheet, aged accounts receivable and income statement.

Cons

A stronger mobile app for handling accounts payable or pulling an income statement or balance sheet reporting is missing so getting the latest sales figures on your mobile device while your boss is calling you in a panic can be a bit tricky. Extracting the raw data is a bit tricky by having to run transactional reports but overall this still works pretty well.

Wave Review

Wave makes accounting so easy for a non-accountant and has given me ability to stay on top of my finances because I now update my accounts daily. Tax time is much easier and I'm sure my accountant will give a sigh of relief this year.

Pros

I had struggled with my accounts for many years and sometimes avoided them until it was absolutely necessary. Tax time became a nightmare and I felt embarrassed each time the accountant asked me questions I had no answers to. My business is pretty easy to account for so I didn't need a large software program. With Wave, I was able to set up and update my accounts in one afternoon. It's helped me reconcile all my wallets and I love the fact that I can generate any reports I require very fast.

Cons

They don't have an offline version so I can't update my accounts without internet access.

John from Brewery Wastewater Design

Great for basics, not for the advanced

Pros

I enter my bills, get reminders, and create all of my invoices with Wave. I even track my hourly time by creating estimates, then turning those estimates in to invoices once a month. Basic stuff, but very helpful. I used to use Quickbooks, but that was like a Porche when all I needed was an old Ford. I have no bookkeepping background, not an accountant, but I find Wave helpful and simple.

Cons

Only one contact per company is allowed, which is annoying. For instance when invoicing, most people want the invoice to go direct to their accounting dept. But if you work for someone other than that accounting person, in order to cc them with the invoice you need to manually enter their email address on each invoice. Every month. There is no function to easily track your time, and if you bill by the hour this can be a big deal. But there is a work around. In my case I invoice monthly on the 15th. So to start I will create an estimate with a date of the following month on the 15th. Enter my product, the description will look something like "11.30.17 Phone call with Steve", quantity is hours or decimals of hours (i.e. 0.5 = 30 minutes), and the price is my hourly rate. It works. Each task will have it's own line on the estimate, and when converted to an invoice the customer gets a detailed invoice with date, what I did, duration, etc.

Quinn from Quinn Ballard Photography

Industry: Photography

Perfect for One-Person Businesses

Wave has and still is the best solution for me. I originally started using it because it was one of the only accounting/invoicing services that had a free plan. That was important for me because I run a debt-free business and didn't want to pay for a monthly service before I even had my first client. Wave's support is also some of the best I've experienced they're thorough and take the time to go above and beyond to help explain the answer any question I've had.

Pros

Wave has allowed me to send invoices, collect payments, and keep track of income/expenses all in one place. I am a one-person business and when I was first starting my business, I didn't have the need or money to hire a book keeper or accountant. My overhead was low and I only had a few clients each month. The free plan that Wave has helped me manage all of the important accounting stuff by myself without sucking a ton of time out of the week. I've used Wave for years as I've scaled up.

Cons

There was definitely a learning curve to get it set up and understand how it worked. The invoicing and payment setup I needed weren't complicated, but the capabilities of Wave overwhelmed me at first. It can do so much, and the hardest part was to understand the specific features I needed. I wish there were options during setup to view Wave in either a simple setup (i.e. basic accounting, invoicing, payments) or a comprehensive setup (using their accountants, payroll, receipt capture, bookkeepers, etc.)

SUMMER from PetsAway

Industry: Import and Export

Easy to use and provides a basic free service

I like using wave, I think that it gives me very professional looking invoices. I would have liked to have logged my earnings, but I totally understand why it is done this way and I do not blame them at all. If I get to the point where I can afford the software, I suspect this is the one I would pay for.

Pros

The layout of the invoices looks really professional and it is very adaptable. I also really liked that when you send the invoice it can be sent not just as a link but it can be sent as a pdf document and that you can cc yourself automatically. There is a nice reminder feature and also it adds up your income automatically. There is a credit card feature that is really good if you have that in your business. Another thing I REALLY liked was that it was available on an app. That way I could use it out of office on my mobile without having to log onto the website.

Cons

I think its because I had the free trial version that I was not able to update to reflect that the bill had been paid. It would be nice if there was a receipt feature that can be emailed automatically once payment is logged. (This may be a feature in the paid software)

Reasons for Choosing Wave

It appeared to be more adaptable. There was also more usuable features for free.

Susan from Self Employed

Industry: Graphic Design

Saved My Client Project

Two is one and one is none. You can't have all of your apples in one basket. Don't always assume that all clients will want to use your established invoicing vendor. Accounting by Wave is a viable option to explore.

Pros

Accounting by Wave totally saved a big client project for me. I have to confess that I normally use another program that shall not be named to do client invoicing. HOWEVER... I had an established client contact me with a big job who recently had a falling out with that site. YIKES! I was scrambling to find a good alternative and Wave saved the day.

Cons

I'm sure I'm not using the program to the fullest. At this time, I don't see any negative aspects to note.

Zahra from QZ Cosnulting

Amazing Accounting Solution

I can do all expense tracking as well well as invoicing and emailing notifications, super cool stuff! Love it. The iOS is fantastic, its syncs well and gives me no lag time. With Xero I had a headache, but with wave, its like... awesome!

Pros

Its free, easy to setup, no accounting background required to make sense of this service, imported stuff easily, just plain easy and I use it. The iOS and Android apps are great.

Cons

Nothing! I'm still not sure when they'll ask for money, because it free and I use it for all my personal and professional businesses.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

I used both, but preferred Wave because I was all set up on wave and then didnt want to move to Pandle.

David from Vizualsite LLC

Online Accounting

I recommend the Wave software to any small business, it has all the functionality required. You can also pay for support from an accounting professional if you need financial expertise.

Pros

I've used the Wave accounts solution for the past 6 years. Wave provided all the features I needed as a startup business. The ability to easily produce customized and professional quotes and invoices is an excellent feature of the software. Manage your invoices, accept electronic payments, send reminders and receipts. The comprehensive and customizable dashboard provides a focal point for your business and how it is performing.

Cons

I would have liked the ability to create and send Purchase Orders. This would have been a good way of tracking business to business transactions. This transaction type can be recorded manually via the Bills function.

Reasons for Choosing Wave

The primary reason we chose Wave in the beginning, it was free software. However, 6 years later we are still using the software and it continues to improve.

Armando from RTP

Best free accounting software

My new "go-to" invoice software. Having multiple clients from different countries. i need a versatile tool so i can get paid without hassle.

Pros

The ability to create multiple currency businesses under the same account. How easy it is to send an invoice and get paid. INtegration with Stripe

Cons

The integration with stripe could be worked a bit. Need to create a "new business" under the same account so i can send invoices in different currencies.

More affordable

Excellent Software For A Small Business

Excellent! It's an amazing application for running the accounting side if things for a small business. I'm not sure if this would be successful for larger businesses, but it could, I use Wave for my Graphic Design business. I own an Etsy store, where I sell templates for business cards and marketing materials. I have an order placed through Etsy where the client provides their details to be printed on these. I enter the customer and the invoice into Wave, mark it as Paid, then order the printing and enter a bill for my vendor. I can also invoice clients through Wave (non-Etsy clients), where I created a sharp, professional-looking invoice template.

Pros

Ease of use: Wave provides the easiest and most user-friendly interface I've ever seen for a free accounting application. From entering invoices to entering bills to running reports, it's all self-explanatory. Invoicing: Create your sharp-looking invoice template that you can send to clients to request payment. The application will track and notify of the invoice from being read to receiving payment.

Cons

Etsy Integration: The Etsy integration is a great idea and makes things even easier. However, I discovered this integration after I had been using the application for months. Since I had manually entered hundreds of invoices manually, there was no way to match those existing invoices with the existing invoices from Etsy.

Waji from Computer Software

Good producto for your daily accounting needs

I am managing a small IT company and really like using Wave for my financial needs

Pros

The design layout, navigation and features (especially connecting bank account to import transaction and be able to store receipt images) are all good for a new start-up company to manage their accounting needs. Help guide is very detailed and easy to understand plus their support staff is good at resolving issues.

Cons

Recording mileage feature is missing which is a big drawback

Miranda from helvete|ca LLC

Love this bookkeeping program (and it's free!)

So far Wave is my favorite bookkeeping system for my home fashion design business, number one, because it's free and every dollar I save really counts, and two, I can use it on my ipad or my iphone anywhere and do business outside of my loft. I have yet to use the integrated Payroll as well but hoping to test that out very soon. I really appreciated the online live training sessions too. I thought that was helpful although the program is already easy to use.

Pros

It's FREE! I've been spending dollars per month with two other online bookkeeping programs and this free program does pretty much everything they do. It's simple, quick (fairly quick page load times) and offers all the reports I need. Customer support is great and they have 3 live training's every week. I'm impressed with how much they offer with virtually no costs. They also offer bank and debit/credit invoice payments right in the program with 1% and I think the usual 2.9% processing.

Cons

Sometimes pages take a while to load because it's an online program. Also, pages open up in new tabs which isn't even that bad to me, I just find myself gathering up 10+ tabs then having to close them all out. Reconciling can be tricky because it's not a conventional reconcile and I find myself going back and forth between pages looking for the mismatch culprits.

Igor from Cloud Studio

Everything You Need for Your Business Books

Very nice and reliable software. I would 100% recommend Wave for small to mid-size businesses. Maybe not the best match for large corporations though (lacking some accounting features). It does what it is made for! It is FREE! It is great :-)

Pros

Very easy to use. Great design and UI/UX All basic features, required for keeping your books straight. Fancy easy to use mobile app. Fancy, modern invoice templates. Invoice payment by Credit Cards (standard 2.9%) and bank transfers (at only 1%!). Payroll. No glitches or any technical issues after a few years of using it! It is FREE and no Ads! You can get support from IN-HOUSE! Wave bookkeepers or a consultation with a CPA (paid feature)

Cons

Connection with your bank might give you some duplicate entries (the system creates one entry when invoice gets paid online and pulls up the second one (duplicate) from your bank when funds get deposited). This is not a big problem, just something to watch for.

THE solution for small (and bigger) companies

Wave had the solution we were looking for, it makes keeping track of our money a breeze, and its simple enough that we can keep up with it. once a week our accountant checks and balances things out, but her job got easier too.

Pros

It does what expensive software does, in an easier way, and FREE. And for a small cost, it will handle what you otherwise will pay huge someone to handle. It made accounting easier

Cons

I created a couple issues when connecting my bank account, the issues were resolved, but it needed a little bit of a trained wow to see it. It wasn't the software problem, but I wish it would have had more warnings when something didn't look right.

Mark from TYL

I don't know how this is free, but I love that it is :)

Being able to send invoices, send reminders, track payments and send estimates is great. Even better is the ability to get my tax consultant in here to grab all the necessary information.

Pros

It's a super powerful accounting system that helps me manage invoicing to clients, receipts for expenses and quotations for new projects. The mobile app is great for tracking invoices, sending reminders and adding payments.

Cons

The estimate system definitely needs some work. It feels like this aspect was built by a seperate team and the UI/UX is nowhere near as polished as the invoicing system is.

Cindy from Pro Video Content

Wave Makes Bookkeeping Easy

I've been using Wave since the early days and absolutely love it. It's so easy to create and send professional-looking invoices, and get paid by direct deposit or credit card through a link on the invoice. I enter all my income and expenses, and can print out reports when tax season rolls around. The dashboard also displays several graphs to help me visualize how much is coming in each month, and where my money is being spent.

Pros

Cons

There's nothing I don't like, except for the fees that are charged when a client pays an invoice through Visa or direct deposit. But Wave has to make money somehow!

Reasons for Choosing Wave

I love that it's free to set up and use. You only have to pay a small fee when someone pays an invoice directly through Wave.

Tabitha from Tabitha Thompson DVM

Industry: Veterinary

The free version is great for my needs

Pros

I like the simple layout of the software. I also like the iPhone app that allows me to make and send invoices as soon as I finish a job. They've changed the way transactions show up when downloaded from your bank so now I can easily match them to invoices. The simple reports are perfect for my needs. The best part is that it's pretty easy to figure out how to use Wave on a basic level for sole proprietors who have a dozen or so clients.

Cons

Some people might not like the double entry system of accounting. Personally, I've chosen to ignore that feature and simply use the app like a simple transaction register. My accounts don't balance and I don't reconcile with my bank statements. I probably only have 20 or fewer transactions per month so I'm pretty aware of what's going on. If I had to make everything balance, I think the app might be harder to use.

Nicholas from Township of Pequannock

Accounting Without the Fees

Overall, it's my Go-To Accounting software for my business and personal reselling. My accountant loves the profit and loss statements, balance sheets, etc. when it comes tax time. They need to be on your list if you're looking for a business or personal option.

Pros

I've been using Wave long before their new long, Wave Apps update and so much more. What I love about the company and the software is that they continue to improve on and grow the free part of the offering. I use it for my business and my personal reselling business. For both accounts, I don't pay a single dime. They have paid options for Payroll, banking, personal accountants, etc. but I haven't needed to utilize them. I love that the options exist for those that want it. I had previously used GoDaddy Bookeeping, and I'm so glad I don't have to go back. Wave Accounting allows me to sync my PayPal account in for free, and it automatically brings in new transactions as they occurr.

Cons

My only real gripe was that I couldn't sync my bank with them. This was my issue however as I used a local bank that had 5 branches in the country, so it made sense that they didn't have the integration. That bank has now been bought and my new bank syncs without issue!

Sourav from Indradhanush Academy

The best accounting software for startups and freelancers

This is the only accounting software I use and have used over the years for my business so I could say it has solved a huge business problem for me, Acoounting.

Pros

The experience with Wave has been awesome. When I first came accross this software I could not believe the fact that they were giving this away for free, everything except the payroll feature of this software was free. Invoicing, unlimited ledgers, journal entries, cashbook, p/l account, balance sheet and beautiful charts to report finances over a period. Being a the owner of a small company and a freelancer Wave has been a life saver against all the expensive accouting software out there.

Cons

To be honest there is nothing I would like to complain about but since I want to unbiased there is just one thing they could improve on and that is the time taken to save new transactions is a bit slow and the UI looks terrible on mobile. That is to say it is not mobile friendly, and they do not have a native application for mobile as well.

SarahGeorge from Three4 Corporation

Free accounting tools that work!

Saved my from making bad decisions with money as a new business owner and it has simplified my billing process!

Pros

I love Waveapps recurring billing features. Its easy to set up and easy to manage. Clients can save their credit card or pay by bank draft. I don't have to manage multiple payment setups, I just send an invoice from Waveapps and they pay how they want to. If the customer is in the store I can just process their card by typing in the details. Receipts to my clients and from my spending are just as simple. As well, I get a view on my company and personal finances anytime I need it. There is an app for receipts and for invoicing/payments.

Cons

I would love to be able to produce better reports to provide my accountant with for tax purposes. I would love an app that allowed me to log in to my full account from my phone.