• Pros

• "* its really amazing since brightpay covers all the aspect of a really great payroll system, easy to use and very effective"

• "It is free for small business users with only a couple of employees It is easy to use and conforms to the HMRC requirements, providing exactly the submissions that they require"

• "BrightPay software is very straight forward and easy to use - not complicated like Sage Payroll. Most importantly for us the software is free and saving us over £500 a year."

• Cons

• "A bit fiddly on enrolment for the Government pension scheme."

• "It would be nice to see the software fully in the cloud, but, that is really a wish for the future than a real complaint."

• "The only issue we have come across as the delay between scheduling and payout for staff. We feel that this time could be quicker in processing."

Browse BrightPay Reviews

Tom from Kingsley Accountancy

Best way to do your pay!

Pros

BrightPay makes payroll easy and has a really modern look. I can train clients to use this in no time at all.

Cons

The windows and mac versions of the software differ in a few areas which is a real shame. It looks like this may be addressed soon though!

Caroline from Pump Technology Ltd

September 2016

Intuitive to use, great value, everything you need to run payroll

Pros

This software covers all aspects of payroll including the new pension auto enrolment, expenses and benefits, sickness, maternity all subjects in one easy to use product. I am not a computer buff but this works for me and I can understand it very easily. The price is amazing we have several companies under one umbrella and usually this would cost a great deal more. I like the help from BrightPay which can be found on their website and I have emailed for assistance and this has been a clear quick response both times.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I am not happy about as yet - I did call once over an Irish bank holiday and spoke to a chap I found difficult to understand because of his beautiful soft Irish accent ...

Sam from Just Accountancy

Excellent Payroll Software

Using BrightPay has made running payrolls much easier.

Pros

This software makes running a payroll easy. The interface is very user-friendly and inputting pay figures is a cinch. The software takes the legwork out of running regular payrolls by rolling over figures month-to-month and providing variance indicators

Cons

Setting up employer mid-year can be a little challenging until you understand how to input all the relevant information.

Reasons for Choosing BrightPay

Better interface and simpler to use

Gregory from Intersection

Another payroll software company....

Pros

Easy to use and navigate the interfaces. Gets the job done.

Cons

Not as robust as ADP or Paychex or even some of the newer apps that have popped up.

James from James Killoh Transport

Brightpay Payroll

I had been a Sage 50 Payroll customer for around 20 years but found it getting ever more expensive and difficult to get in touch with customer care when you needed them with lengthy waits on hold. I needed to renew my Sagecover and they wanted to put me onto a monthly subscription, the amount they wanted just did not represent good value for money to me so I started to look at other options which was a big decision after using the same software for so long and having to learn another product from scratch . I trialed Moneysoft which also gets good reviews but I didn't really like the very old fashioned 1980's looking interface very much although it did the job. Then I tried Brightpay and was immediately impressed, it covers all the features I need including RTI and Auto Enrollment at a fraction of the price of Sage for the amount of employees I have. Moving data from Sage and setting things up took a little bit of time but this was mostly double checking everything was correct. The user interface is great and I find it easy to use, it's not quite so in depth as Sage so maybe misses a few features but this makes it less cluttered and easy to learn and operate. Also there's no need for dedicated stationery everything can be produced on plain paper which is another cost saving. I had a couple of initial queries and customer care answered these promptly. I would highly recommend this product, it's fantastic value for money.

Pros

Nice modern user interface. Easy to learn and operate. Covers RTI and Auto Enrollment. No need for dedicated stationery. Excellent value for money. Fixed yearly fee includes all legislation and feature updates and support.

Cons

Would be nice to be able to attach documents to employee records i.e. contract of employment, disciplinary letters, etc.

Eamonn from Car & Audio Tune Ltd

Brightpay Auto Enrolment and RTI Ready Payroll software

I have never come accross such a user friendly software product. Every box and heading is self explanatory. Transfer from Basic PAYE Tools, set up and running has been so easy. The software is completely free for up to 3 employees. This suited us initially. Any small queries I have had have been dealt with in a timely and efficient manner demonstrating how utterly professional and committed to excellent customer service Brightpay are. Although Brightpay were already linked to about 10 Pension providers (including NEST, Peoples and NOW), we decided to use an Auto enrolment pension scheme which wasnt yet linked to the software but Brightpay developers worked like trojans to get it up and running in time for our staging date. There were a few teething problems with online pension contribution filing, but I just had to send a copy of my files by email so the developers could see what was going wrong. It was a simple password error. By the end of the day it was all sorted and has been running smoothly ever since. This was Excellent service above and beyond the call of duty, and considering we had not paid a penny for use of the software.

Pros

If an employee has a fixed salary each month this is shown automatically on each payroll day so no further entries need to be done. The HMRC and Pension Scheme id and passwords need to be entered only once in the set up. Then a simple click on the send button is done for all future submissions. Massive time savings. Each employee has a holiday and sick day calendar which recalculates holidays remaining or if SSP is entitled to automatically. Transferring mid year from another payroll product is simple.

Colleen from SIE Consulting Group

Simple, intuitive way to run payroll

BrightPay is the best payroll service that we've encountered. It is free for our company and covers all aspects of payroll from new pension auto enrollment to expenses and benefits to sick days. It is intuitive and covers everything that we need in one interface.

Pros

-free for auto enrolment -ease of use -yearly price that doesn't increase -easy to use user interface -holiday and sick day calendar for all employees -help guides and excellent customer service -free for small companies

Cons

-backing up and restoring data is occasionally confusing -you do need to download a new program each year -hard to come up with negatives!

Nav from CNA Accountants

Easy to use but high priced

Pros

Easy to use Less clutter Time saver Good design

Cons

HMRC payment tabs to not very clear. Less description and I never found it useful. Auto Enrolment function is not straight forward, most of the time so get error message for unsuccessful submissions.

Reasons for Choosing BrightPay

Brightpay is Easy to use

Calum from Schiltron Associates

Comprehensive but simple to use payroll software

I've been using this for several years. Support when needed has been quick and efficient.

Pros

Straightforward to use. Provides a basic employee overview as well.

Cons

Not automatically backed up. Have to pay extra for cloud option.

Mike from Sweet Success

Industry: Food Production

Excellent product

I decided to try Brightpay after getting fed up with the silly price increases for Sage Payroll every year. I was paying approx 700-800 a year (including the pension module) for a product which was badly presented, looked tired and with long waits for the helpline. I am really impressed with Brightpay. It is so much easier to use, compared to Sage Payroll, and significantly cheaper.

Pros

- Easy to use - Good Value - All the functionality required

Cons

I've used the software for 2 months and haven't had any issues yet.

July 2016

George from Georges Books

July 2016

Thumbs up for BrightPay

Pros

I like that's it's so easy to use. You don't need to have payroll experience. Brightpay alerts you need to send through your RTI and pension contributions. It also is free for auto enrolment. My previous payroll software were charging extra for auto enrolment. I've been using Brightpay for over 3 years. I pleased to say they have never increased their prices. It's an excellent product. The developers clearly have the end user in mind. If you get stuck their help guides are fantastic. 10/10

Cons

There's nothing I don't like about it. Brightpay keeps up to date. New features are being added all the time. I can't think of a single thing that I don't like about it.

Fantastic payroll software that has thought of everything

Great software and functionality. Very feature rich as well as being easy to use. Good value for money and the support is efficient and thorough, both telephone customer service and support bank of self-help tools.

Pros

The auto-enrolment functionality is a dream, making light of the entire process from identifying staging dates, right through to generating enrolment letters for staff. The user interface is simple yet detailed and easy to navigate and customise.

Cons

I have been caught out a few times by alterations to the pay of an employee in one month/pay period which do not automatically revert to the stated basic pay the following month. It would be better if it did automatically revert or the system prompted you to choose how many periods/months should reflect that change.

Andrea from Alex Horner Plastering

Best payroll for small companies

Very good value for money, not complicated at all.

Pros

Very easy to use, much easier than Sage payroll. Had the free version before and even the support then was second to none. You write an email and in less than a day they get back to you whether youre a paying customer or using the software for free. You see straight away when you have to submit to HMRC which is for me the most important part as I dont want to pay a fine. CIS is very easy to do. Im in my third tear with BrightPay and never had a fault in the software whereas with sage it happens frequently.

Cons

There is nothing I dont like, the least I would say that you have to download a new version with every tax year and not just an update.

Jonathan from Boadrwalk Corporation

Bright day cause of brightpay

Pros

I've tried a lot of payroll software and bright pay has the easiest software to navigate its a user friendly and covers almost all of the payroll concerns

Cons

what I wish brightpay must have is the capacity to trace back or correct some input of records foe example some alteration may have done but it is hard to trace back the records.

sol from Soletic

Easy to Use and Cheap to Buy

Pros

The interface is very intuitive and we have found it easy to use. On the occasions that we have had a problem, we have not had to wait that long for someone to answer the phone on their helpline. Also, the helpline is based in the UK and is not an Indian call centre.

Cons

We have found backing up data and restoring the date a bit confusing at times. This is why we are considering using the cloud version of the software so we don't have to worry about backups.

Ajit from Wellside Business Limited

No euphemisms, no jargon and no problem - this software just works. That's it!

Love the software, love the kind people at technical support and love the vibe that Thesaurus Software are in business to help others do business well. Other vendors are only in it for themselves unfortunately.

Pros

Very intuitive and it works. Simply no jargon and non of that endless stream of annoying ad ons that you have to pay for just to have some extra piece of functionality. Whatever ad ons that are needed will be really needed by you and hence you will see the value of purchases them.

Cons

It would be great if there was some kind of front end graphical dashboard. Other than that I cannot fault it - oh yes is there a way to produce invoices using this product?

Mary from It's Your Choice Ltd

Small charity payroll processing

Pros

This product is very user friendly therefore straightforward to use. It carries out all the main functions of payroll well and reduces processing time.

Cons

After using this product for two years I cannot think of anything I do not like about the product or vendor.

Louis from LionRT

BrightPay provides a streamlined elegant support for payroll system for our affiliate offices

We believe that the deep , feature rich capabilities that Brightpay offers for comprehensive payroll control and organization absolutely should not be missed. We recommend scheduling a full product demo with Brightpay customer service so that you can experience the full breathe of services before paying any fees. We wished more software payroll services offered this option.

Pros

Easy to use and to understand interface provides feature rich control for our worker payroll accounts. Additions and deductions for multiple departments are an extremely useful feature as well. Where the windows for software use in OS are concerned we love the automatic resizing feature which makes our job much easier.

Cons

The list of negatives for Brightpay is admittedly low , however we must mention that given the time zone difference and some accented language that customer service interactions can be a bit difficult but not unbearable. Also, a new software download is required each new tax season.

romayne from Household

Industry: Staffing and Recruiting

September 2016

Wholehearted recommendation. One of the best decisions I've made.

Pros

Fantastically designed to make life simple and instinctive. The telephone help (rarely needed) has always been great. I am a huge fan, this product has saved me great stress, time and money. If only all life was this simple.

Cons

I honestly have absolutely no complaints. Even the potentially tricky bits (e.g. moving computers, end of years, adjusting details) all work seamlessly.

Jonathan from Atom Systems Ltd

Thanks Bright Pay

Pros

Firstly, as a small company I use the free version of Bright Pay, nevertheless this is an excellent software package. As somebody who works with and designs software applications, this is an example of how modern, well written software packages can be simple and intuitive, to the extent that anybody can use them with minimal training.

Cons

To be honest, nothing. I'm really pleased with the product and the vendor - The product works well and even when I needed some help with support they were quick and prompt and sorted the issue...which was actually down to my own error. - Quick Books could learn a thing or two about software packages here...perhaps wish that Bright Pay could do the accounts also!

Jesus from Dio Implant Philippines Inc

Brightpay covers it all

Pros

Cons

* i have no any issue using the brightpay software, instead its highly recommended, please keep it up!

Liz from Liz Crossley Farm Services

Industry: Farming

Review of Brightpay

Since discovering Brightpay 2 years ago, I have introduced it to 6 of my clients and have now agreed to take on a Payroll Bureau on the basis that I can use Brightpay for this purpose. It allows me to use sub contractors easily in order to process the payrolls and exchange information very easily. The set up process has been surprisingly easy and the support from Brightpay has been excellent

Pros

Programme easy to understand. Help pages very straight forward and easy to understand . Support line well staffed and e mails are responded to quickly. The cost of the programme is very good especially for SME's where only 2 or 3 staff but with full AE obligations to comply with.

Cons

Very easy to end up with a duplicate copy of the same payroll on your PC. Quite easy to replicate a salary increase which can result in an overpayment in the next month if not carefully checked.

Sandra from Farm Admin & Secretarial Services

So glad I changed to BrightPay

As a self-employed Farm Bookkeeper/Secretary working for a number of businesses, I've used a couple of different payrolls over the years and recently came across BrightPay when looking for a payroll that dealt with pension auto-enrolment seamlessly with out costing a fortune, unlike the payroll program I was using. I found it relatively easy to change over midyear and have now converted several of the farms where I work. I initially talked to some of the BrightPay staff at a seminar for bookkeepers and they were very helpful; I've only had to contact the helpline once during conversion and they were brilliant. The online documentation and video tutorials are a great help, clear and easy to follow. I love the way you have a visual flag that the RTI and Pension return need to be sent - something that was easy to miss on my old software if you got interrupted by phone or someone coming into the office during the payroll run. Option for cloud backup so can access data from a different location and still run payroll if snowed in and can't get to the office!

Pros

Visual flag that RTI & Pension submissions need sending. Easy to use. Great value for money. Option for cloud backup so no worries about loosing data.

Cons

On fortnightly pay can only enter 1 x fortnightly figure - the staff are used to seeing 2 x weekly figure on payslip.

Paulino from Armario Joyera

Industry: Luxury Goods & Jewelry

In my point of view this is the best software when talking about payment methods

Pros

It is a tool that loads all kinds of functions, with which it becomes very simple the payment processes, therefore you get higher sales

Cons

Definitely nobody likes to wait at the time of making a purchase, everything must be done quickly and efficiently and that is a small weak point as we have presented some reboots of the app at times when we need it most

Carol from TEIGN TYRES

Brightpay is childs play!

Keep up the great work everyone @ BrightPay

Pros

If you have just the slightest knowledge of payroll (used to use HMRC software), you will find BrightPay a breeze. Its simple to use, all calculations are done for you. You can print detailed payslips, which was a first for me. I can also send information straight to our Automatic Enrolment pension provider. Has a great employee calendar to keep track of holidays, sick days and absences. As the title says, its so easy to use it is child's play.

Cons

There isn't anything negative I can say about this software, except the new cloud service that has recently appeared should be available without extra charge! It would be a useful tool to have for my employees!

Rosie from Individual & Family Services

Decent technology, customer-focused

Pros

I've used this software over two years and while parts of it are clunky, I love the annual updates and ways they continually change the platform to make it user friendly. It really feels like they listen to customer suggestions and make changes. Our employees love the self-serve model whereby they can access all their pay information on their own without going to HR.

Cons

User customization could use some upgrades. I'd like to be able to change the formatting and most-used columns and set up my dashboard more to my liking. This doesn't mean the software is not usable, it's just a bit clunky and means I do not work as quickly as I'd like.

Denis from S&D Domestics Ltd

Brilliant Brightpay

Pros

We used Iris before they charged the earth for nothing. Brightpay does everything for a reasonable fee & the customer service people are so knowledgeable about there products brightpay must the easiest to use accountancy product on the market 10 out of ten for Brightpay

Cons

We have found no problems with Brightpay the software is easy to install the customer service people are fantastic. Sorry I cannot state anything bad about Brightpay

Jeremy from Hasbury Christian Fellowship

September 2016

Used for payroll with one employee.

Pros

Very easy to get to grips with, and does all the work for you! And for a small employer like us with just one employee, it's free. The need to contact support is very rare, as things work so well, but on the one occasion I called for help, they were very supportive and sorted out my question quickly and easily.

Cons

Not easy to identify anything that I don't like really.

Asoka from AKCA Consulting

Saving time with Brightpay since 2013

Pros

Easy to use product and the system is very transparent with easy to understand reports. Brightpay support is quick and efficient. Brightpay support the software by incorporating the latest legislation such as pensions auto enrolment so that the system can be used easily for the additional issues of payroll.

Cons

Nothing at the moment! Brightpay keep enhancing the software so that additional information for HR purposes can be used.

Omarie from K08 Sounds

Super User friendly!

Pros

This payroll software has made it so easy for myself and co-workers to report our time clocks. If someone forgets to clock in it is easy to fix on either end and weve never had a bad experience with their customer support.

Cons

I have no cons at all! If we have ever had a problem, which is rare, their customer support team answers and helps us work through it.

Dean from Switch Radio

BrightPay is fantastic

Pros

Brightpay is brilliant. It is easy to use, exceptionally intuitive and good to look at! The vendor is very fair, and if you're a tiny business (we're a small non-profit), the fact that they allow you to use it for free should be commended.

Cons

Honestly, we haven't had any problems with the software or the vendor. Any technical problems we've had have been of our own doing, and restoring from BrightPay backups was easy.

PENELOPE from MARSHALL TRANSPORT

BRIGHTPAY IS THE RIGHTWAY

Pros

Free for small businesses with 3 or less employees. User friendly. Telephone helpline with very knowledgeable assistance when advice required. Also looks as though they have Automatic Pension Enrolment well covered for the future. Easy to print Payslips, email them to employees whether direct from BP or exporting them so you can file them in your own system.

Cons

Because of the flexible hours I work I would like the helpline to be available for some period of the evenings and week ends

Kevin from Caldey Island Estate Co. Ltd.

For ease of use and practicality, it takes all the hard work out of the payroll

Pros

Nice, simple and easy-to-follow functions. If you're basically a non-technically-minded book-keeper, it keeps everything clear, and if you get it a little wrong at first it's easy to backtrack and put it right.

Cons

No complaints at all with it, though the automatic enrolment pension requirements did cause a little hiccup, which was probably down to confusion on my part anyway.

Terry from Chestnut Products

September 2016

Great software, does everything I want it to.

Pros

Just the ease of use. Everything works as it should and is straightforward to follow. Any questions I've had - and that's only a few and normally because I was doing something wrong - have been answered quickly and efficiently

Cons

The guilt feeling I get from being a small user and not having to pay for the program!

Nicola from The Kingfisher Trust

September 2016

We are a Charity, this is so easy to use.

Pros

We love this product - it is so easy to use, so logical. I have never had to ask for support because its so straight forward.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike, we are a small employer with a very straight forward payroll and they lead you through everything you need to do to comply with legislation - they are great.

Andrew from Penwortham Hill Limited

Simply brilliant payroll software

Highly recommended and will save you a fortune

Pros

I haven't found a feature that I have needed that isn't in this package, and compared to the package I was using before this represents outstanding value.

Cons

Until the latest version I had to calculate the journal entries to put into Sage by hand, but now in the latest version even this is taken care of!

Philip from Upstream Concept Engineering Ltd

September 2016

Small business feedback using free version

Pros

Cons

You need to download a new program each year rather than be able to continue using the same program and just close out the tax year.

David from David Fowler, Accountants

Best value Payroll Software we have had in 20 years of practice

Simple and straightforward to install and use [unlike many of the larger competitors] it contains the majority of functions required by most payroll departments. It is so easy to add extra payments or deductions without lots of messing and links. There are so many facilities It would take a week to list them all. A brilliant top value pack.

Pros

Everything is built in - it is so easy to use There is no charge for charities and super small businesses that wish to run their own payroll.

Cons

I can't think of any problems - they have all been ironed out over the past few years.

Daryl from Burnett Barker Solicitors Limited

Brightpay Review

We've been using BrightPay for over 2 years now for our 30+ employee payroll, having switched from Sage Payroll which we'd been using for 10-15 years. We have had no reason whatsoever to rethink that decision and have been really impressed with BrightPay.

Pros

- pensions included as standard - cost - look and feel - multiple users included - online employee portal add-on

Kayla from Uptime Energy

I love BrightPays ability to be integrated into other CRM platforms

Pros

Can customize and design different features, apps, taps, fields and forms. Providing a customizable platform, this can be mutated whenever the need arises. Responsive website can detect and respond to device need as required, which means flexibility of mobile platforms is available and will provide ease to mobile operators.

Cons

Customers can be allowed to view tickets related to their sites, and view the status of resolution of their tickets. This will discourage the customers to directly contact their area managers and wasting their time. Customers can provide feedback and acknowledgment of their tickets.

Andrea from Alex Horner Plastering

September 2016

very good payroll program for small companies

Pros

very easy to use, no experience needed. I've got only one sometimes two employees at any one time but the customer service is out of this world. They reply to emails are very quickly, although I am using the free version. Very good company/software.

Cons

not available, there is nothing I like the least.

Luc from Delfanne Photography

A 2-year old Employer's view

Pros

A most straightforward software application to set up, to use & whatever (from a non-native bookkeeper) Most appreciated, is Brightpay online support: Every time I came to an unusual event; I could find an answer! As simple as that!!

Cons

As a small [but VAT registered] employer, I have not yet - so far - come across a negative ' Brightpay experience'

Alexandra from Spectrum Electric Inc

Very Easy to Follow

Pros

We have loved brightpay because of it's simplicity but very well organized and realiable product to have!

Cons

It constantly reminds you to never miss a deadline and helps you keep track of all the small stuff that usually gets you. A must have!

Michael from Eccleston & Hart Ltd

Excellent Payroll Software

An excellent package with fast, friendly support.

Pros

Easy to use and adaptable to our requirements

Cons

Pity there is not a Linux version but at least Apple is supported. I use this software within a VM in Linux.

Calum from Schiltron Associates

September 2016

Great payroll software - does the job simply and well.

Pros

Easy to use, helpful support. For a small company - its free.

Cons

Nothing about the software - although found the questionaire insistance on 50 characters somewhat tiresome.....

Christina from Dennis Jex & Son ltd

September 2016

I have used this software for about 9 years it is very good.

Pros

The software updates are very good as i am just one person who does wages weekly for a small company and if i get confused at all any time the people at BrightPay are just so helpful.

Cons

I dont think there is anything i dont like about BrightPay

Tony from Blue Man Ltd

Simple but fully-featured payroll

Pros

Full featured payroll software that is completely free for small companies. Easy to learn. Good support from the company, though I've only had to contact them for advice with one problem.

Cons

Nothing - I like it!

Eurig from Y Brodyr Williams

Never used any payroll software previously but enjoyed using Brightpay

Pros

Ease of use, layout and inclusion possibilities of payslips. We operate minibuses and private hire vehicles where the employee hours vary from week to week. Brightpay's ability to accrue holiday pay based on hours worked and to show this on the payslips is very useful saving independent spreadsheets.

Cons

Really impressed with the fact that payslips can be translated into so many languages some of which I've never heard of. And yet translation into Welsh not available - Please show some respect and recognize the continued existence and use of one of the oldest languages in Europe. Consider also the existence of the Gaelic and Cornish languages. Offer these translations and market the availability. The Welsh language also has official status in Wales. This means that public organisations should give information and provide services in Welsh, as well as in English. The ability to provide Welsh payslips would be advantageous to companies seeking to show support or actively running their companies in and with Welsh as the main language.

John from John R.Mayor FCA

Free version

I only have clients with one or two employees and once set up the operation of the system is extremely fast. It is possible to calculate wages and submit them to HMRC in less than 10 seconds.

Pros

Speed and ease of operation. Friendly and helpful staff when phoning.

Cons

The free version is only available for one client which at my end of the market means that it is not cost effective to have a bureau licence. I would suggest that the free version should cover, say, a maximum of 3 clients with 3 staff or less or even consider a "small bureau" licence in the region of, say 60 + Vat for this.

Alex from Razorbill Instruments

Excellent piece of software, and free for micro businessness

When I started my company 2 years ago, I had a long list of things to get to grips with, many of which I knew eff-all about. Running payroll was high up there. I chose BrightPay because of its good reviews and fact that it was free for micro businesses. Despite knowing literally nothing about what I was supposed to be doing with regards to payroll (back when I had a 'proper' job I basically didn't know why I was getting payslips) the software was ridiculously easy to use and I wasted no time at all in getting up and going. On the few occasions I've used customer support, I've got straight through to a real person who solved my problems instantly. I highly recommend this product for small businesses.

Pros

Ease of use Cost Customer service

Cons

For, I suspect, very sensible reasons, BrightPay doesn't offer advice regarding stuff that should be given by a trained accountant. Consequently I went through time time without checking the box that gives you "Employment Allowance" - money back off your employer's NI. Most companies that don't really directly or indirectly on public sector funding are eligible for this, but if you don't know about it you're unlikely to tick the box. This isn't BrightPay's fault - it's not their job to be giving accountancy advice, but it's worth to bare in mind that though the software is easy to use you may still need a few extra pointers from a professional when you start out.