Showing 1-20 of 118 products
PracticePanther Legal Software is a legal management solution for small to large practices specializing in areas including bankruptcy, personal injury, family, divorce, estate planning, litigation, criminal law and many more. The system... Read more
Recent recommendations: 118 recommendations
Clio is a cloud-based legal practice management solution suitable for small to large law firms. The platform enables lawfirms and other businesses in the legal industry to track important deadlines, manage client cases and documents,... Read more
Recent recommendations: 102 recommendations
Filevine is a cloud-based case management solution for small and midsize legal firms and legal professionals. It helps in managing case documents, communication and project management. Key features include bill and expense tracking,... Read more
Recent recommendations: 87 recommendations
With Amicus Online legal practice management software you can access your practice 24/7 from any computer or mobile device. Combine your contacts, cases and calendar in an intuitive system that helps you stay efficient. This next-generation... Read more
Recent recommendations: 68 recommendations
MyCase is a cloud-based legal management solution that helps attorneys in small size law firms to manage communications with their clients and carry out daily business operations. The solution also provides functionalities for accounting... Read more
Recent recommendations: 36 recommendations
BQE Core Legal is a cloud-based solution that offers integrated accounting, time tracking, and billing and invoicing. It can support the operations of a variety of law firms including litigation, corporate, family, tax, immigration... Read more
Recent recommendations: 29 recommendations
Tabs3 Software offers practice management, case management and financials for small to midsize firms in any practice area. Tabs3 enables legal professionals to manage their schedule and matters as well as track their time and bill... Read more
Recent recommendations: 25 recommendations
Smokeball is a complete cloud-based legal productivity software to automatically record time for you, allowing you to increase your firm’s profitability and productivity by over 30%. Whether you bill hourly, fixed fee, or on contingency,... Read more
Recent recommendations: 14 recommendations
Needles is the case management solution that 2,000+ of top law firms trust to optimize workflow and maximize bottom line. Combining our legal know-how with next-gen innovation, our web-based solution, Needles Neos puts even more tools... Read more
Recent recommendations: 14 recommendations
MerusCase is a cloud-based legal practice management solution for small, midsize and large legal firms and businesses. It is HIPAA compliant and offers document management, time tracking, billing, calendaring and communication tools. The... Read more
Recent recommendations: 8 recommendations
ProTempus is an on-premise practice management solution designed for small law firms. Key features include timekeeping/billing, contact management, document management, case management, AR, AP, GL and trust accounting. Two clicks make... Read more
Recent recommendations: 7 recommendations
CoCounselor provides a cloud-based legal management solution tailored specifically to the needs of plaintiff’s lawyers. With CoCounselor, users gain access to a suite of solutions that provide information on the performance of their... Read more
Recent recommendations: 4 recommendations
CloudLex a cloud-based legal management solution built exclusively for plaintiff personal injury law firms of all sizes. CloudLex’s Matter Manager enables users to collaborate through matter-specific communication tools and organize... Read more
Recent recommendations: 4 recommendations
Legal Files is an on-premise legal case and matter management solution for corporations, government agencies, universities and insurance agencies. The solution enables legal professionals and others to manage vital information, including... Read more
Recent recommendations: 3 recommendations
AbacusLaw is case automation software designed explicitly for law firms. The system works as a complete practice management solution that helps in managing workflows including time tracking, billing, and accounting operations. AbacusLaw... Read more
Recent recommendations: 1 recommendations
Prevail is a one-stop-shop for managing your legal matters. The tools available to Prevail users are tightly integrated. This integration gives Prevail the ability to do multiple things automatically as a result of one action taken... Read more
Litify is the all-in-one, next-generation legal software solution. Designed for medium to large-scale law firms, Litify enables every team member to do their best work. Our robust legal software combines intakes, matter management,... Read more
CASEpeer is a cloud-based case management platform suitable for law firms of all sizes. It offers intake, case and task management tools, document management, negotiation and litigation tracking, reporting, search tools, case timelines... Read more
Case UI is a legal case management solution that helps small to midsize law firms streamline operations related to client management, invoice generation, task assignment, and more on a centralized platform. It allows users to define... Read more
Time Tracker is an employee time and attendance tracking solution designed to simplify employee tracking and reduce administration using automation functionality. With Time Tracker, businesses are able to examine and track employee... Read more
Attorneys and law firms have to manage several administrative tasks, such as scheduling appointments, handling documents, keeping tabs on court schedules, tracking finances, and communicating case updates to clients. Handling these processes manually not only requires significant effort and time but also increases the chances of human errors.
Law practice management software automates legal workflows to help law firms streamline their daily operations. It reduces the manual efforts needed for handling multiple clients/cases and delivers insights to improve overall productivity.
A wide range of law practice management solutions is available on the market, and choosing the one that best meets your needs and budget is important. To help you with decision-making, we’ve curated a buyers guide that includes all the information you'll need.
Here's what we'll cover:
- What is law practice management software?
- Common features of law practice management software
- What type of buyer are you?
- Benefits of law practice management software
- Market trends to understand
What is law practice management software?
Law practice management software is a software tool that helps law firms and individual attorneys manage case-related workflows, documentation, calendars, contacts, and client communication. It offers electronic billing and payment functionality to help users maintain an accurate record of client receivables.
The software automates routine administrative tasks, which helps save time and allows legal practices to provide better services to their clients. Automation also reduces the chances of manual errors and prevents any repetition or conflict of facts during documentation.
Reporting, activity dashboard, and rate management are some advanced features of law practice management software.
Common features of law practice management software
The software features you'll need solely depend on the scale and size of your legal practice. Here are some common features most law practice management solutions offer.
|Document management||Lets you collect, store, and share case-related documents and legal files.|
|Matter management||Allows you to manage and monitor the complete lifecycle of a case, including case activities and hearing schedules.|
|Billing and invoicing||Lets you generate bills and invoices for employee billable hours and other expenses.|
|Calendar management||Offers a shared calendar that helps view tasks, deadlines, appointments, court dates, etc.|
|Activity management||Lets you manage and track case-related workflows, timesheets, case updates, client updates, etc.|
|Contact management||Allows you to store clients’ contact details and case information, including name, address, billing cycle, and communication history.|
What type of buyer are you?
Before you start evaluating software options, you'll want to know which buyer category you belong to so that you pick the right software. Most buyers belong to one of the following categories:
- Individual attorneys: These buyers are individual attorneys with their own legal practice. They generally have fewer clients compared with large law firms and need help with streamlining daily operations to serve their clients better. A standard law practice management solution with case management, document management, billing, and invoicing capabilities would be a good fit for such businesses.
- Law firms: These buyers include law firms with many attorneys as partners. They have several clients and handle multiple cases simultaneously. Besides client management, optimization of team performance is a top need for such buyers. A fully featured law practice management solution with case management, activity and task management, and advanced reporting capabilities would suit their needs.
Benefits of law practice management software
In this section, we’ve listed the most notable benefits of law practice management software.
- Optimizes performance: Law practice management software automates the majority of legal administrative workflows, such as billing and case information management. This leaves you with more time to focus on your clients and their cases, which helps optimize the productivity of your legal practice.
- Centralizes document storage: The document management feature of law practice management software lets you store all case-related documents in a centralized repository that can be accessed by all users in the law firm. You can also save legal intellectual property in this repository for company-wide consumption. The software also allows you to set up access control rights so that your documents are safe.
- Bills accurately: Law practice management software lets you track the work done by your team members and records their billable time. This helps create accurate client invoices as well as ensures complete transparency of work.
Market trends to understand
Based on our research, the following is the key trend in the law practice management software market:
- Artificial intelligence (AI) to make legal due diligence and research easier and cost effective: AI can help attorneys speed up laborious manual tasks that are otherwise time-consuming. When combined with law practice management software, AI can assist with legal research and due diligence tasks, such as fact checking and background vetting. It can also improve the accuracy and speed of the document reviewing process to help law firms save costs and efforts.
- Smart legal contracts are on the rise: Law firms are witnessing an increasing usage of smart contracts over traditional paper-based contracts due to the former’s time-saving and cost benefits. Since they are computer coded, smart contracts can eliminate ambiguity in the language used for explaining legal terms, accurately interpret international contracts written in different languages, and even incorporate industry regulations into the code to make compliance easier for law firms.
Note: The application selected in this article is an example to show a feature in context and is not intended as an endorsement or a recommendation. It has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable at the time of publication.
Your Guide to Top Law Practice Management Software, May 2020
Software Advice uses reviews from real software users to highlight the top-rated Law Practice Management Software products in North America.
Learn how products are chosen