(1,046)

1,046

• Pros

• "This software was very user friendly and had everything you would need to manage properties! I loved this software and all it's capabilities!"

• "The features on appfolio is great. It is very easy to use. "

• "It is very user friendly. I like that it is always evolving. The support has been great. "

• Cons

• "A few kinks every now and again with their new features but they are usually ironed out quickly. "

• "Accounting is a little difficult to navigate but the customer service/help desk is very responsive and helpful so problems are resolve in a timely manner. "

• "Nothing really bad to note. Sometimes can be glitchy, but signing out and back in usually remedies this problem. "

Browse AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

Drew from MH Properties

Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies

The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

Pros

First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

Cons

I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Cost vs. benefits. We are a medium size company (750 multifamily/single-family units) and did not need as many bells and whistles.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

Sarah from Beacon HOA Management

Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!

Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

Pros

Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

Cons

There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Ease of use and customer support.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

CJ from ICM Rescources, Inc.

Very Nice Property Management Solution

I have used Appfolio as a maintenance technician, property manager and now accountant for the whole portfolio and I have had a pretty easy time with it every step of the way. I would recommend to at least give it a try before selecting another software.

Pros

Easy to use for users of all skill and job levels. Makes tracking Receivables and Payables very simple. Constantly being updated and enhanced with new features at no new cost (some do cost but the majority are free updates) Customer support is always quick to help and respond. I feel like I get the same support agent 95% of the time, which makes it feel comfortable and like a working relationship rather than some random customer support person every time.

Cons

Some of the editing and finer tuning options are lacking. (Example: not being able to rearrange line items on a bill or journal entry. You can only delete or add new to the bottom, no editing between without having to manually redo everything from the edit down.)

I am not sure.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, CJ. We appreciate you leaving us a review. We are constantly listening to your feedback to inform our product and we'll be sure to forward your feedback to our Product Team! It's great to hear that you are using AppFolio in all areas of your business.

Tara from Jenkins Davisson LLC

Sad to be looking elsewhere.

Initially, I was thrilled with Appfolio. They had live support, and same day follow up calls when submitting tickets. Suggestions on the user forum were implemented, or at the very least, were updated by Appfolio so we knew they were aware and cared. None of that anymore, but we are regularly being innundated with value added junk that we can pay for if we want it or obscure improvements that seem pretty specialized/not broadly impactful. Meetups, etc. are heavily geared toward sales/recruitment and have virtually no value for current clients. I was fine with shrugging my shoulders as this is often how things go with growing companies, but looking completely unprofessional to my tenants/owners due to unreliable email/text, suppressed fee accounting/commingling problems (that are legit problems, not user error), and confusing owner statements have me in talks to switch. Property managers are dealing with stigma to start with - I dont need my management software making my company look unreliable/unprofessional/untrustworthy on top of it. Not to mention - I dread having to explain during a state audit why income is suppressed from owner reporting.

Pros

Extremely easy to navigate/train employees to use, tenant rent payment/owner contributions are free with ACH, application-move in flow is smooth, mobile app works well, available property postings look great on my website.

Cons

Suppressed fees amount to commingling, and that is so bad. It could easily be resolved and the idea has lots of votes in the forum yet it remains unaddressed. Not to mention, suppressed application fees can be passed on to an owner before you need to refund the fee depending on the timing and that leads to a nightmare of accounting, and having to explain to an owner why you are unprofessionally having to withhold the money in the next month. I tried to get help from support to no avail (it was repeatedly blown off as user error) so then I started going to their live meetups when they came to town begging for help from support in person to make it clear it is not user error. That led to more dissmissal from user support as being due to user error, so I finally said I wasnt taking no for an answer. After talking to tons of people, I finally got a support person who understood what I was saying, and all they could offer was a VERY time consuming work-around. The integrated email/text feature often fails and does not notify you that it failed causing huge problems. Notification emails when a lead inquires have started being unreliable. If tenants wait too long to respond to an email I sent via appfolio, they are told the thread has expired. Since every email sent from appfolio is sent from a different spammy looking email address, I get frustrated tenants asking which of the 15 email addresses they should use to reach me. Owner statements are confusing to owners.

Response from AppFolio

Replied August 2018

Hello Tara, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We understand your frustration and we are glad that you were able to talk through these items with one of the managers on our Customer Success Team. Based on your business practices, not consistently paying our your suppressed fees seems to have caused an issue with your owner's statements. We hope, after speaking with a manager, you will be able to establish a good cadence of paying these in order to avoid error in the future. We take our client feedback seriously and take all of it into consideration when building and improving new features. We hope you will stick with us and continue to provide this vital feedback.

Jon from Allstar Property Services, Inc

Powerful - Easy to Use and Learn

AppFolio has been able to streamline and give so much more efficiency for day to day operations that we're able to scale our business at a much more dramatic pace.

Pros

The all encompassing ability to power a website to sophisticated accounting, maintenance controls, tenant/owner communications is all at your fingertips anywhere with a mobile device or computer.

Cons

If you're not a seasoned bookkeeper and you're managing somewhat sophisticated accounting of properties, you can dig yourself a hole real quick.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

We got a better feeling with Appfolio and their sales team.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We know transitions to any new software solution can be tough and we're glad you chose AppFolio to streamline your business!

Jessica from JAB Property Management, Inc.

Sketchy at first, but FELL IN LOVE!

We have really grown to love Appfolio. It just simplifies life in the office and makes our job easier and allows us to be more efficient for our tenants.

Pros

This software can literally do everything. It is a one stop shop. I got rid of 7 different (paid) programs and now have JUST Appfolio- which does the work of all of them.

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about the software except that they are still growing thus the functionality is still growing. I strongly disliked the "car salesman" pitch of the sales team. They promised a lot of things that the software couldn't deliver at first; however, we learned to get around it and in some cases, the functionality was built out (during our first year with them)and that feature is now available.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I did a side by side comparison and in the end, Yardi just couldn't keep up with the Appfolio functionality for the price.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the feedback, Jessica. We're glad to hear that you've grown to love AppFolio!

Deana from Statewide Property Management

Reports & Move-outs

I love it!! I just have a few request to make it perfect :)

Pros

The ease of applications and lease signing! I also like some parts of the reports.

Cons

The Unit Avail. doesn't show the name of the existing resident or the future one, so I have to transfer it to excel and add that for every property every 2 weeks. I'm always concerned about notices being put in correct. I can't print a report to show signed lease renewals by month.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Our Sales rep Jessi was Awesome!!

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Hi Deana, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback and we are constantly striving to delight our customers through software improvements. Please continue to share your feedback with us!

Vanessa from Herman Boswell, inc.

Promas to Appfolio - The Great Journey

As I said, onboarding was difficult. That was mainly due to how our dated was stored on our end and turnover we experienced during the transition. The service is amazing, and I can't imagine not having Appfolio.

Pros

Switching from Promas to Appfolio would be like switching from mailing a letter to emailing a letter. The service is faster, more reliable, easier to do, takes less time, is more efficient. My list could go on and on. The main features that caught our eye were the ability to accept rent payments online for seamless accounts receivable from tenants, and online maintenance requests. For so long, we would take maintenance requests by phone or email. It was unreliable at best. Having this online feature gives us a smooth workflow from work order submission to mailing a check for work completed. Truly, Appfolio has saved our office countless hours! Oh and the customer service is awesome! I love how quickly we get responses with actual answers to our questions that solve our problems!

Cons

The onboarding was very tedious. Our Promas software was housed on an internal server at our office. That is the primary reason our transition was not that smooth to start off. Overall, we don't have many complaints. Of course, we all want cheaper software, but you get what you pay for. There are a few tweaks we have requested that Appfolio has implemented, and they continuously have updates and new features. It's really exciting! I do wish our owners could see live feed of their account balances in their portal and run their own reports as they wish.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Customer reviews, and features available.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the review. We know the transition to any new software can be tough and we're happy that you found our service to be helpful during that transition.

Angie from Grindstone Property Management LLC

Appfolio for Property Management

I have worked with Appfolio since 2012. I would recommend it for its ease of use. If you are a small company and do not have daily IT support to train your employees this is a great program for you. The tutorials are very easy to use for training.

Pros

Very user friendly with tutorials handy at the click of your mouse. I really like the fact that the marketing and advertising of vacant units is tied to the software. It makes it really streamlined when posting ads and managing pictures and changes to the market rents.

Cons

I do not like that you cannot customize the user individually. I came from Yardi and you could pick specific tasks that the employee could access. It is too generic when it comes to the user roles. Example: A leasing agent can post money but not close the deposit? Employees have too much access to information that should be confidential.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Price was competitive. The main feature that impressed me was the able to streamline many features in one program such as processing background and rental apps, advertising, etc.

Matthew from Joseph Property Development

Easy to learn and implement

It really helps to organize and get more done!

Pros

Software is easily to learn or "play around" with. Appfolio is making their services better weekly. If you find it's missing something- tell them about it, you might see your desired corrections in the near future.

Cons

If you make a mistake, it's difficult to "rewind." At times I was unaware what I did until it became problematic. There should be more "what does this mean" helpful info next to checked boxes, etc.

Angela from RTK Rentals, LLC

AppFolio is Very Good Property Management Software

Overall I am happy with AppFolio and like that I can keep necessary information in one place. I also know it is helping us keep our accounting more accurate and although the process can be difficult, I know it's a good thing. I am encouraged that their customer service has improved a lot and I'm hopeful it continues. I feel like I matter as a customer and that's important. Now that we have been using this software daily for 2+ years I don't know how we'd live without it or something similar.

Pros

As a property management company, it keeps everything in one place. I'm able to track and store almost all necessary information. I also like that AppFolio continually works on improving their software, regularly implementing new helpful features.

Cons

In the beginning, the customer service went downhill really fast, such as sometimes taking a week to get back to me and then having someone that didn't know what they were doing or how to fix our problem. I was very unhappy and thinking we had made a mistake in purchasing, but I can tell in the last year especially they have really worked on improving their customer service with quicker turnaround and better-trained staff helping. I almost always have a positive experience now. There are still some features that we really need for rental management that I'm hopeful are added soon.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for the review, Angela! We are committed to providing you with the support needed to run your business. Please don't hesitate to reach out!

Denise from The Management Group, Inc

Always evolving

We have been with Appfolio for 9 years - and during that time there has been significant improvements in the system. Our company is a heavy user and utilize as much of the functionality of the system that we can - and as such we are frequently asked to provide feedback to the development team when they are considering options. We are committed to our relationship with Appfolio, however, due to API restrictions, if we have much more growth we may need to consider alternative solutions.

Pros

The software is intuitive, user friendly and a stable platform. They a continually developing additional functionality and release updates regularly. The customer forum is great - you can collaborate with other users, seek our solutions and make recommendations that development will consider for future releases.

Cons

It does not have an open API and they are unwilling to consider this for clients. While they are routinely pushing out enhancements and are developing additional functionality, and they say the functionality is based on client feedback - it seems like development resources are not focused on this things that clients really 'need'.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

Yardi was more robust than we needed at the time - and their licensing model made the cost outside of our range.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks for partnering with us over the last 9 years. Denise! We look forward to partnering for the years to come!

Vivian from Investment Realty, Inc.

They know property management!

This program allows us to do more work without having to add more personnel which helps the bottom line for sure.

Pros

It was very easy to set up the implementation team was very helpful. The user friendliness of using it every day is the best with it super search feature.

Cons

There are a few work arounds that we have to do for our maintenance team but we know with the new features they keep adding all the time it will only be time before they will make an improvement that will help with this work around like all the other ones that we used to have to do.

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

The other program at the time did not have any conversion to help transfer all our data over to the new program. We went through that with the old program and we was not going to go through that again.

Doug from HALO Managers corp

From Doug Hancock HALO Manager's Corp 1450 units under management

Pros

Ease of use, quick search, archived records, online payments, ability to scan files into clients portal, pay bills online. We basically did a 15-20 year upgrade . They said when we bought the software it would be like adding an extra employee to our office and after a years use, I would agree. The data entry alone for our bill payments was a two to three day job with our old software, now just a few hours to pay 300-400 invoices a month.

Cons

The biggest frustration that I have with the software program is during the transition from when a tenant gives notice to move out and getting a new tenant into that same unit. For whatever reason, when a tenant gives notice and we put that information into the system and click the notice prompt and give the date of their move out (usually 30 days). That unit is going to be vacant and we begin to market for a new tenant, however, when we find a new tenant and we want to put the new tenant name and the deposit money into the system under that unit, we are UNABLE to put a pending tenant into the system until there is a complete move out. We need to get that money in the bank and a new pending tenant into our upcoming move ins. Usually the way we have done it is to manipulate the move out dates and then put the charges in later when the real move out occurres They must be a way to put PENDING tenants into to a future vacant unit in an easier way. We love the software, but because we have 30-50 move outs and move ins each month, it is very frustrating that when a tenant gives notice, the program should then allow pending tenant information to be entered to that future vacant unit and right now we can't.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Dear Doug, we appreciate your review. If you are trying to move in a new tenant while there is an existing tenant in the unit, just make sure that the dates do not overlap and you will be able to perform this action!

Cassandra from Northwest Select Real Estate Services

Good choice

I'm quite happy, overall. Integrations is my biggest challenge and what would drive me to leave, if I were to predict a reason. I'm having no issue working around it, but I'm about creating efficiencies which I feel like I am restricted from doing. So far it's been something I'm willing to work around since we're small and they have so many other great things about them.

Pros

We were on a somewhat antiquated system, so improvement was easy to recognize. AppFolio does a lot of things well. It improved connection with residents AND our ability to have better records both for tenants and for staff (liability support/reduction), and much easier for staff to know what is happening across the board with any one resident or prospect. We are still learning! The transition was fast and friendly. Loved their tenant liability option.

Cons

1) OnBoarding was very tech-oriented and a challenge to adapt easily because staff is working on a calendar. I have some a-ha moments that i just couldn't get the OnBoarding team to understand (even though they were very capable folks) because in this tech world, it's either a or b, there is no c option. Well, later I'm finding the c option IS available. 2) They make frequent updates, and communicate them well. The challenge is working them into your schedule to understand so you can stay on top of them because your team will do the same---someone needs to know them. 3) Other updates seem to be in holding status for way too long, when they'd help users so much. 4) Our biggest complaint is AppFolio's unwillingness to work with other software integrations. They really cripple my ability by being so protective of.....whatever it is. Most other softwares integrate fine. They do so much so well, I feel like it's time to stop being so proprietary. That would change any element of dissatisfaction that I encounter. It appears so flexible, but it's not. The larger companies don't all want their screening or leases....so I still am running other programs which is a pain. Their system doesn't work for me (having a one stop shop for 'everyone' isn't realistic) in all areas as it seemed to in the beginning. So modify your expectations. I would have still purchased, but been happier with where i landed.

Pamela from Maez & Company Property Mgmt

Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio

Pros

The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons

The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thanks, Pamela. It's great to hear you are finding the accounting side of AppFolio easy to use!

Joe from Latter & Blum Property Management

#1 single-family residential PM software

Our experience with Appfolio has been great! It has created efficiencies within our single-family division that didnt exist previously. Im optimistic that over time they will develop more features that will allow us to be even more efficient.

Pros

Its robust yet easy to use, dependable, constantly evolving, their developers listen to their customers needs and if possible delivers, issues are handled quickly by their web based customer service team, and its affordable.

Cons

The layout of the property financial statements are subpar and difficult for our clients to understand; its not the best software choice to manage commercial or multi-family properties; its lack of customization

Reasons for Choosing AppFolio Property Manager

I felt more comfortable. It seemed like the company was new, had a lot of money and energy behind it, and was here to stay. I was also sold on its perceived simplicity. Additionally, I liked that it was being used by other well respected single-family property management companies in the industry.

Janee from The Jacques Company

Great product overall! Highly recommend!

Overall, I am very satisfied with AppFolio Property Manager. We run a tight organization and I attribute much to this software.

Pros

This software keeps me organized and on top of managing a large inventory of properties and clients. -It has a strong financial reporting side that encompasses everything necessary to operate and deliver to owners as well as tenants. -We receive great feedback from the tenants as this software provides a very seamless experience from application process all the way through move outs. -User friendly, easy to navigate. -Reports to Experian credit bureau and now RentBureau. -I also love that on the property page, tenant page, owner page we can add activity reminders. -The options of reports are great and the customization of them are endless. -Owners, tenants, vendors all have portals to work in giving them access to their information/accounts. -AppFolio is always working to improve features and add new services that could benefit property management companies. -Newer feature is an app for tenants to use to pay online and schedule maintenance. Love it! Many pros. You won't be disappointed.

Cons

Overall, I don't have many cons and really had to think up what our biggest frustrations are with the software. Not bad if this is all I could come up with. We work around it because overall we are very satisfied with the product. -Small improvements that need to be made based on user experiences are seemingly overlooked as not important. Example, you can now email tenants/owners from their page. If the email does not go through there is no notification so we are unaware that tenants/owners did not receive our communication. So for now, I do not use that feature if it is something I need to be certain is received by other party. -There is also a sensitivity with the new showings feature that if a booked party does not reply exactly with CONFIRM, then the booking will automatically cancel. It creates many headaches daily. Cannot reply with YES, CONFIRMED, OK, I'LL BE THERE, etc. -Owners would like real time details in their owner portal, not just past monthly reports to review. All of these items have been suggested to AppFolio to review for tweaking by many users.

Kendell from Integrity Place Realty and Property Management Co

Our experience with Appfolio

We used to have to make lots of phone calls and texts with people that want to see our vacancies. Now they can schedule viewings on our web site. We used to have applicants fill out paper applications. Then we would type in much of the information in the credit reporting software so we could run credit reports. Now, applicants complete an online application and we click a button to run the credit and background reports. Once we approve the applicant, we click a button to move them over as the tenants of the unit. It automatically emails and text's them a link to their own tenant portal where they can pay rent online and make maintenance requests online. Appfolio is like having one or two employees that don't need to use the restroom, take breaks or that you have to have workers comp insurance on or pay employment taxes for, etc. It truly is a great solution for property managers.

Pros

I love how easy it is to advertise our vacancies. Then the interested parties can schedule viewings and apply for the property right from our web site. Once we select a tenant, we can transfer all of their information from their application over to make them our active tenant with the click of a button. I love how easy it is for tenants to pay their rent online or at pay stations and it goes directly into our bank account and calculates the management fees.

Cons

The reports could be a little better. On multiple units, the reports don't break down the expenses by unit number very well. So, the owners aren't able to tell on their reports what a management fee charge was for because the charge isn't broken down by unit number. As a result, we get calls from upset owners and our accounting department has to create reports outside of the software to make sure the owners are satisfied. This takes extra time when the software could easily break down these expenses if it was programmed to do so. Our accounting department said that the bookkeeping side of the software could be better.

Response from AppFolio

Replied December 2019

Thank you for your review, Kendall! We appreciate the feedback.

chelsea from Sassouni Management

AppFolio Property Manager review

Pros

cloud based master search function often see new feature upgrades + introductions

Cons

Does not partner with other valuable services we use (compliance: site compli, external legal counsel, security deposit alternative products). Does not lend itself well to using external brokers for leasing purposes. Would like for EXTERNAL brokers to submit applications to us via the platform. Does not have a good case management system for individual projects and/or legal cases. Does not lend itself to very necessary compliance efforts. We require tenants to submit certain types of documentation to us on a yearly basis.

David from Barnhart Realty Group

Functionality of Appfolio

Overall I am satisfied with our decision to migrate to Appfolio. It has allowed us to expand our business with our current staff and save time in the process.

Pros

The overall flow of the system from application, to move-in, to month to month operations is very complete. Rent receiving and recording is payments to the landlord are much quicker than our previous ledger system. This has taken the money handling out of the hands of the leasing agents and placed checks and balances on who and how the funds are moved or paid. All correspondance can be tracked via emails and texts between tenant and agent. Very easy to follow a discussion after the fact and see where and how things get changed in the conversation.

Cons

The software lacks the overall ability to work with commercial properties. We have adapted to the use but very rudimentary. Also the financial system has some holes with regards to how funds are received between security funds and operating funds. This causes properties to get out of balance between these two accounts. I have had several out of balance conditions recently and while the support desk is quick to guide me through it the whole process of tracking down the out of balance is too time consuming.

Lyman from Amaxima Realty & Property Mgmt. LLC.

Appfolio & Me

I love it! I found the Appfolio program did save me time with all parts of property management duties I have.

Pros

Once I learned the program, Appfolio made the job easier. The owner statements were easy for my owners to understand. Love the ability to upload copy of invoices to owner statements, so they could see my deductions if there were any on the given month. This saved me time from answering calls from owners that had questions about the owner statement. The online features made it easy for Owners & Tenants to see everything related to their property.

Cons

Being a very small company it was a little more expensive than other programs out there. The learning curve was a bit tuff, but Help was always there to assist me if needed.

Jason from R. G. Hill and Company

Best investment our firm has ever made

Incredible software, customer service and company. The gold standard.

Pros

Ease of use and efficiency. Appfolio has automated and connected what were once manual processes into a sophisticated and professional cloud based solution that represents our company with Tenants, Property Owners and Employees exceptionally well. The intuitiveness is remarkable and our time savings are significant. Amazing product, service and company.

Cons

Portfolio analysis. Maturing company and service but enhancements come fast.

Herb from Townsmen Properties LLC

AppFolio is terrific and continues to get better

Overall, providing the initial data from our old system for the setup was easy, of course you need to provide accurate data. Everything went well and whether i provided PDF's or Excel files, the only real errors were made on data we provided. It was easy enough to correct. We are thrilled with AppFolio since making the switch in November 2018.

Pros

Easy to use web based software, includes apps for management and homeowner/tenant. AppFolio continues to make improvements and they appear, never an update on our end needed, love that since it is web based. Set up a vendor once to use across all condominium associations the vendor provides services for, good work order system and improvements made based on user feedback.

Cons

I would like the ability to modify the user level access myself, but that isn't a real problem, just a nicety. There needs to be the ability to create folders or directories to upload the condominium documents so they can be categorized, otherwise an owner needs to look through a significant amount of files. I understand that is in the works though.

Mary from Spencer/Hines Property Management, LLC

Best Software EVER!

From the beginning it was easy to migrate our data, and we never looked back. It is so awesome for our boss to be out in the field, call us to ask a question - then say never mind "It is all right here on AppFolio" on his phone or tablet. Easy to find just what you are looking for and the Support/Help system is the best I have ever experienced in a software. On line CHAT is a lifesaver.

Pros

User friendly & intuitive. The app and online log in for tenants and owners is a game changer. The vendors and work order flow is excellent. Accounting is similar to quickbooks, everyone get it. Unlimited support (for FREE - who offers that?), an excellent online help "System" There are videos, online articles, training you attend live online and/or watch at any time on specific topics. There is a user community for help too. What other software allows you to "Vote" on things you want your software to do - and the programmers work on the request with the most votes. Amazing!! Thank you AppFolio

Cons

That I had to suffer through YARDI for so long before I found AppFolio and we switched.

Krystal from Tiner Properties

Thank you for making our lives easier!

Fantastic! I have been impressed with the way that they have continued to grow the effectiveness of the product over the years. Since we started with AF they have added texting and emailing tenants, showing scheduling, leases, merging applicant information, etc etc etc. I honestly can not even think of all the resources they have added off the top of my head, I know there are more. I love being able to be part of the process by providing suggestions and reviews for new functions and features.

Pros

Appfolio has really been a fantastic tool for our Property Management firm. It is highly functional for both accounting and property managers. All information and attachments are also available on one's smartphone through the Appfolio App. Anytime I have any questions, I get help from Appfolio's support team in a timely manner. The search bar is an invaluable resource - being able to look up a tenant, owner, or vendor's information by name, email, address, etc is very helpful. The Owner and Tenant statements are easy to review internally, and easy for the recipient to read and understand. I have utilized other accounting software in the past, and no other platform can come even close to comparing to the functionality of Appfolio. Keep up the good work!

Cons

That I can not set up one owner with separate bank accounts for each of their properties. It is the only think about Appfolio that drives me nuts!

Sheryl from Foothill Manor Townhouses

Best Property Manager Software I've used in over 22years!

I have had nothing but a great experience with AppFolio. I love the fact that it does everything and that it gets better every single week. I love the functionality of it, that you can send text messages to your residents and get immediate responses back probably 90% of the time, I love the fact that it auto populates all you forms for you. I love that most tenants pay rent online so there are hardly any checks to deposit each month. we can send group messages to an entire unit at the same time either via email or text message. I have never felt lost and there is nothing that I cant figure out how to do on my own. The help section is amazing and there is also a forum where you can also get help from other users. I am so glad my company started using AppFolio. There is so much more that I could tell you about that AppFolio does, be glad there is a limit on how much information I can give you!! It is really great software hands down.

Pros

I love AppFolio, it does everything all together in one place, no need to have multiple programs because AppFolio has everything you need to be organized and professional. You can basically go paperless using this software. It is very easy to learn, there is self help that walks you through things if you forget or need to learn how to do something. They are always adding new things and making AppFolio better. Our company is actually one of there testers so we get the new updates to try before they are even released. AppFolio takes you through the leasing process from start to finish and takes care of everything in between. Your company can upload all the forms you could possibly need as templates (applications, leases, notices, letters, renewals, terminations and you can also make your own letters to add as templates.) All forms auto populate and give you the ability to edit as needed to fit the tenant(s) you are sending to. Everything between you and the tenant can be completed online such as applications, leases, changes in terms, addendums, lease assumptions and more. Tenants and managers are able to sign forms digitally which is great. When everyone has completed signing it automatically send a copy of the signed document to each resident and the property manager. Rent can be paid online, maintenance requests are done online. Keeps all your records in one place. I have never used a better software product and I have been in this business for 22+ years.

Cons

This is a hard one because AppFolio since it started has listened to its users and just about everything we've asked for to make our jobs more efficient and easier they have made happen. There is literally one thing that comes to mind that I wish was different. When you print something from AppFolio you click to print to PDF then it opens a PDF copy of what you are trying to print, then on the PDF you go to file, print, then your printer opens up and you hit print again. to me its a lot of steps just to print something. But if you look at all the pros in this software having to click 4 times to print something is really nothing! (me being lazy or in a hurry) Who knows, one of these days I might come to work and they'll have changed it and it will print with one click!

Julie from Lake Valley Properties, Inc.

Appfolio Saved Our Office

We have been able to increase our accounts without too much work overload due to the functionality of adding new properties/owners and the streamlined nature of the entire program. We could not have done it without Appfolio! Our implementation was extremely organized, and they kept us on track to make sure all deadlines were met to launch at our goal date. We've now been using Appfolio for 18 months and I have not had one major issue with functionality, customer service or anything else. I honestly could not be happier and feel I'm getting the best value and peace of mind all at once!

Pros

What I like the most about Appfolio..... that I can come into work daily and not stress about overall functionality of software. I know it's going to do what it needs to do, and if it doesn't, customer service will help me sort things out!

Cons

I cannot speak to this. I used a different program before Appfolio that was nothing short of a nightmare, so I am grateful for every bit of Appfolio from it's ease of use to it's nice, friendly design.

Yan from Millennium R.E., LLC

Great product and really terrible support

It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

Pros

The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

Cons

The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

Pamela from Somers & Associates REALTORS, Inc.

Always evolving to keep up with or ahead of the customer!

Loved it then, loving it even more now, hope to never stop using it.

Pros

Most people don't like change, need change and can't get it or can't get it quick enough. Appfolio is so user friendly, allows you to train yourself, reach out for support when needed or allows you to interact with other users in a forum. They say it takes a village sometimes and Appfolio has created that village atmosphere. You have options and so many paths to take but without the feeling of getting totally lost to get to where you need it's almost adventure time every time I log on. I love all the updates for things I didn't even know I needed until they put it out there. They don't just change things and hope you catch on, they notify you of all the updates with an explanation and guide in advance. I've seen them put changes into action that other users have asked for and voted on (yes that's a thing, got to love democracy and what software platform allows it's clients to even have a say on a daily basis? Appfolio does.) If anyone in the relationship is doing wrong by the other it would be our office for not using all that Appfolio has to it's fullest extent. Thank you for allowing us to thrive now and strive towards the ever evolving future of Property Management.

Cons

There have been a few work arounds or new features we didn't quite get it to work the way we wanted but most of it is personal pickiness or just not having the time to train and find a way to make it work. The inspections I know are being updated and getting there but really hoping to be able to do inspections onsite, pictures, notes, having tenants sign electronically off on move in and out condition notes as well as sending them copies at completion as we've seen with some other apps and software programs outside of Appfolio.

Bill from Empire Property Services

A "looking forward" Solution

This software has made our lives easier, and more productive. I have been able to send funds to a client who needed them desperately from the deck of a cruise ship. We are all very happy with our choice of AppFolio.

Pros

We have been using AppFolio for five years now. In that time, the features and adaptability of the software have increased significantly. When adopted the software, it really wasn't really geared toward commercial properties or owners associations. Since that time, they have really made it a great solution for us in those segments of the property management profession. They listen. They make changes/additions to the features based on feedback from the users. They can't satisfy every individual firm's specific method of handling an issue, but they really pay attention to providing a feature for the vast majority of users. One amazing feature they added was at a customer conference. At the beginning of the conference, they took a poll of what one feature would the users like. The overwhelming majority selected a calendaring feature. The initial roll out of that feature was released by the end of the two day conference. Since then, the calendar feature has become very robust and a great management tool. Back-up issues are no longer a worry.

Cons

Nothing so far. Another Pro: Another example occurred shortly after the first conference I attended. I was sitting at one of the outstanding mixers. A gentleman sat down next to me, said that he was with AppFolio. He asked if I had any suggestions as a new user. I said that as a data entry convenience (I'm an old programmer from the '60s), I was all about reducing keystrokes. I mentioned that it would be nice if you were in a date field that you could change the date by tapping the + or - keys. Turns out that he is one of the leaders of the firm, and the feature was activated in most date fields by the end of the week.

Response from AppFolio

Replied July 2019

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Bill and for continuing to partner with AppFolio. We look forward to continuing to work together!

Laura from Northwest Commercial Real Estate Investments LLC / Northwest Apartments

AppFolio - a well-rounded leasing and accounting software

Our property management company decided to use AppFolio when we brought all of our bookkeeping in house, taking it from a 3rd party bookkeeping company. At first, we were just looking for bookkeeping software, and AppFolio fit the bill in a reasonably priced package. We soon came to realize how many more features there were with AppFolio, at no additional cost, and how we can streamline much of our leasing process to save time and eliminate typos and duplication of effort. And we came to find out how AppFolio listens to its user and improves its product - "What's New" item pop up weekly or more often! We've made several suggestions ourselves, and now they're part of AppFolio functionality! We consider AppFolio our partner in helping us serve our investors and our tenants.

Pros

There are several things that I like about this software. I think the top of my list is that there is so much functionality related to apartment leasing/management that is all integrated - basic general ledger accounting, tenant accounts receivable, screening applicants, online leasing, attachment of invoices, statements, agreements, etc to appropriate pages in AppFolio, vendor payments, owner payments, 1099's, financial reporting, etc, and on top of that, it's an online platform available from any computer or mobile device, live and up-to-date for all users.

Cons

Currently my biggest frustration is RUBS for utilities. The feature is set up in such a manner that we are unable to use it because it allocates costs to anything considered a "unit" which for us includes non-residents who lease a parking space. I have made sure that top management and the development team at AppFolio are aware of this flaw in the functionality of this feature, so I'm hopeful there will be a resolution.

Response from AppFolio

Replied May 2019

Thanks, Laura! It's great to hear that you are using so many aspects of your software and thank you for your feedback regarding our utility billing feature. We are constantly making updates based on customer feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

Paris from The Paris Group NW

Small PM Company 20 Month Review

Pros

*Convenient user access on computer & phone. *User friendly & comprehensive for property management operations *Good visuals, nice looking documents & communication to customers. *Love how you launch improvements ongoing & post "What's New" *Sending work order links to vendors, how they can see all their w/o to stay better organized *Paying vendors via direct deposit. *Sharing documents to tenant & owner portals. No more mailing. *Helps organize functions

Cons

*Expensive. *Very complicated to manage the accounting portion. There are many hidden, connected functions, that fixing one, often doesn't fix all or messes something else up. *Move-outs are exceptionally difficult if you have to meet a short time line & have to break the tenant refunds into 2 payments. In WA state, water/sewer companies don't put account in tenant names or read meters in between, so we have to wait up to 60 days to get final bill. We want to hold out deposit funds for that & then refund the tenant any overcharged amount. *Customer service is friendly & knowledgeable, but have to wait for returned contact & about 25% of the time offers solutions doesn't fix all aspects or messes up something else. Big Issue: A HUGE number of brokerages are hiring outside Appfolio experts to help manage & solve their problems, instead of relying on Appfolio customer service. A HUGE number. There is something wrong with that.

Response from AppFolio

Replied June 2019

Hi Paris, thanks for the feedback. We know that the implementation of any new software can be an adjustment, so we've created our Help Center full of articles, community forums and other how-to training resources that will help you to master all of the capabilities within AppFolio Property Manager. We hope that as you continue to learn and grow with AppFolio that you will have a more positive experience moving forward!

Sherrie w/ Professional from Professional Realty Management, Inc.

My Opinion of the Pros and Cons of Appfolio

For the most part I am very happy with Appfolio. We still are not using it to it's fullest potential. It seems that I have always had people that I train that are resistant to change. So I have to slowly change things that seem little changes at the time so that they don't realize it and are more willing participants.

Pros

I do accounts payable, plus deal with Owners and basically put out little fires that arise. Since using Appfolio I have reduced my work load or should I say the time that is necessary to do my job. By being able to do ACH's and emailing and texting. End of month statements was reduced down to a few hours from 2 days. The world we live in now does a lot of texting and emailing and that is always nice to be able to do when you are slammed. More than 50% of my Owners are retired or semi retired and are older so I find that it is important to have that conversation with them over the phone for that personal relationship that they like. I am friends with a lot of my Owners even though I have never laid eyes on them. So we need to balance things for good PR.

Cons

I don't have many, and I am at a loss right now to specifically point any particular problem. It is those times when you run into a situation that you rarely do and have problem figuring it out. The instructions are not real clear. As example off the top of my head. I have a problem right now with my Diagnostic under the Non-Zero Security Clearing Account Balances. I think that I have done it correctly after following the instructions and then I find my diagnostic with a problem that I will need help from Appfolio with. Right now I haven't had the time to contact Appfolio to help me due to my own personal issues, medical, vacation etc.

Melissa from Rock Rentals

Appfolio Review

Pros

Appfolio gives us as a rental company the ability to easy sort, organize, and access information on our tenants, owners, and vendors. I love that Appfolio has helped us move to doing business online. It's so convenient for us to send out a lease and have it signed electronically and saves time for us and our tenants. They don't have to take off work to come to our office to do so. Online payments have similar benefits. Most of our tenants pay online and it's so nice that we don't have to record each of those payments; they're automatically applied to the tenant's account. Another feature that we use a lot is the credit and background checks. It's conveniently built into the application and helps us screen applicants efficiently. I like that Appfolio offers texting and emailing. It makes it easy to see what was communicated and it's all on the tenant's page and I don't have to pull up multiple windows for that. The newly-developed tenant insurance coverage feature allows me to track who has coverage and who doesn't, and to email them notifications if their insurance has expired. It also shows which policies expire in 30 days, which is great for reminding people before their policy expires so they have continuous coverage. I appreciate how AppFolio continues to improve their product and develop new features. They allow users to make suggestions and comment on suggestions as well.

Cons

I wish that the texting line could receive pictures. This would make the application process easier; people could take pictures of documents they didn't include in the application and send it to us. While most people can take pictures and send them by email, I think it would help especially our older tenants and others who don't have email on their phones or don't have a smartphone or just aren't as technologically literate. People would also be able to send us pictures of their insurance docs and maintenance issues. It would also be nice to be able to search for guest cards (interested parties) in the main search bar. Currently I need to search on the guest cards page and the person doesn't show up if it's been over a year from their last inquiry.

Response from AppFolio

Replied March 2019

Dear Melissa, thank you for your review. We have launched a new tenant application that allows tenants to submit their maintenance requests directly from their phone and upload photos from their camera roll. Thanks for your suggestion about texting photos, we'll be sure to pass this along to our product team!

Sarah from Chatel Real Estate

Chatel Real Estate

Overall I'm very pleased and excited every time something new rules out. I'm the operations manager for one of Chatel's locations and I'm constantly playing with the new features to see if they will be useful for my company. This software is super easy to use, it cuts down on labor-intensive data management and archiving information. Plus the fact that it allows a property manager to be mobile. There is nothing sweeter than being at a board meeting or a condo meeting and saying hey I can pull that information up on my phone. :)

Pros

I love that things are so well integrated. I have been with Chatel Real Estate for 7 years and we have been using Appfolio for the last 6 years. I appreciate all of the new features that you roll out and I'm super excited every time I see that little bubble at the top of my screen meaning something new has been added. Also, it's super nice that it's easy to use on the phone, I don't like the App. I only use it through my cell phones web browser but it works perfectly and I can get a ton of stuff done while visiting a building. I love that its a one stop shop for property management needs. I like being able to communicate with an entire building and record that information on unit owner pages. The key system is fantastic! We just started using it recently, and it has saved us so much time in addition to providing us with accurate records.

Cons

Prepayments on unit owner ledgers do not automatically apply to the next owners charge automatically. This makes the aged receivable detail look off which is annoying and clients complain about it. It's not a huge deal and its something we easily fix. I also wish the homeowner directory report had columns to add their tenant's information into it, instead of having to pull a renter directory and then an owner directory. Clients want just one spreadsheet not two! I wish you accepted AMEX for payments, I get a fair amount of compliants about it.

Response from AppFolio

Replied March 2019

HI Sarah, Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and thanks for being our longtime partner! We have updated the app to have the same, full functionality that the browser has. We'd encourage you to download it from the app store so you can continue to easily pull up information on your phone in any meeting!

Jeff from Wangard Partners, Inc

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Good product, improvements slow to take

While the community conversations for improvements to the software is great, it's tough to know that any software engineer is listening. It seems like it would be very easy for move-outs to automatically prorate rent (where is it legal to collect full rent for a mid-month move-out?!?!?!) IF I could just talk to an engineer. It seems like it would be very easy to ask for an actual button for prorated rent rather than something that is a link everywhere on the internet. These simple things should not get lost in the community.

Pros

This is a great product for property managers and tenants. The leases are easy to issue and easy to sign. The tenants have a great portal. Customer service is mostly great- sometimes I want a quicker response, but the reps are great. It is easy to find information and easy to adjust information.

Cons

It is too easy to adjust information in some places and there are confusing breaks in logic for inputs from one section to the next. For example, the recurring charges section of the move-in process is identical to the monthly charges section of the tenant page, except that there is no option to have an end date. Move-in charges from the move-in process do not show up on the itemized rent roll. When asked about why this is, the customer service agent said that people don't want security deposits on the itemized rent roll. The answer to this is, like any other charge in the system, to hide the security deposit charges columns on the itemized rent roll. There is no need to restrict the information on a report when a report is customizable. We offer one-time concessions and, in order to get them on the rent roll, we have to use the recurring charges section. This, of course, allows for human error in having one-time concessions go on for the entire term of the lease.

Response from Torri

Replied February 2019

Dear Jeff, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate the feedback and we have made sure that it has reached our product development team. You do have the ability to prorate the last month's rent for residents and we'll follow up with instructions for this task. We read through every piece of feedback posted to our product boards and we take the feedback seriously. Thanks for being our partner.

Dean from Cobalt Property Managment LLC

Top 5 Things Tenants Don't Want You to Know About Using Appfolio and Why It Costs You.

I wouldn't manage property without it.

Pros

1. When Money is collected electronically you never have to think about who's paid and who hasn't. - Even with a handful of units, it's time consuming to collect checks and deposit them on a regular basis. This causes sloppy book keeping and helps tenants get away with not paying timely. 2. When a computer keeps track of payments late fees are always charged. - late fees get charged automatically. This trains tenants to pay automatically. No more not paying late fees. " It's already charged and it's part of your lease ". 3. When communicating with tenants electronically, there's a record of the conversation. - " I didn't say it was my fault ". This is no longer an argument. Every text, email, and even notes from phone conversations are stored in the tenant profile. 4.Utility billing can become a profit center instead of a nightmare. - When incorporating RUBS or just paying for the water bill, when done with the correct process, unpaid utilities can legally incur late fees which makes tenants pay them instead of sticking the owner with them at the end of the lease. 5. It's much easier to protect a property through liability insurance. - By using the automatic liability insurance module, there is much less of a chance in lapsing renters insurance and the property has a better chance of recuperating losses due to " I fell asleep while the stove was on ". Yes, this has actually happened.

Cons

Appfolio is not something you plug into your current systems. To do it correctly and efficiently you'll need to rework your processes around it. This can be good or bad. Depending on if you like creating systems. When you're done, you'll have an employee that never sleeps and takes care of a ton of your management tasks.

Response from AppFolio

Replied January 2019

Hi Dean, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. It's great to hear that AppFolio is integral to running your property management business. We appreciate your partnership!

Tyler from Bay Apartment Advisors

Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Overall Fantastic Software that is always adding features!

Pros

The updates and the "what's new" feature are great, this software keeps evolving along with our business. Ability to mass-email or mass-text a property is great, and all the recording-keeping is great for peace of mind. Can't possibly imagine doing business without the organization of AppFolio. Universal Search is great, fast, and efficient. The mobile app is great.

Cons

The customer support can take a while, as in, there is no direct call option. Submitting a support request and waiting is fine most of the time, but having an "emergency" option would be great. Lack of specific rules for rent controlled areas. For example, Oakland and Berkeley have different rules for rent control and we have to constantly edit the auto-populate letter. It would be fantastic to have the option to have the option to have a different auto-populate letter for each property. Each City requires different things to be referenced. Charges are often auto-generated in the middle of the night when you manually onboard new tenants. For good record keeping, it's helpful to record when a rent charge started so we know accurate historical data and another way to know when tenants are eligible for a rent increases. But when we do this the system creates a charge for the current month in the middle of the night, which has to be manually reversed. The flow from application to move-in is very impressive, but AppFolio isn't as smooth when you take over management of a property that already has tenants, which is almost always the case. We've received some negative feedback from the call center, including a time where a tenant called to complain about the door being on the wrong side on a new fridge. The tenant said a female employee laughed at him. Personally I think this is hilarious, and there is a part of me that is glad she laughed at him, but it just made matters worse. Also the occasional complaint about not being able to get through to someone. There are requested features that seem reasonable and have a lot of support in the online community, but they don't happen, or at least not right away. I suppose you don't want to spoil us, but things like "weekly recurring work orders" and being able to toggle "payments required in full" for individual tenants seem like things that happen. Ultimately these are good things b/c I assume they will happen, but almost having the feature is painful. Electronic Payment requires a cell phone. This is kind of strange and would love to be able to just submit payment without the phone.

Response from Torri

Replied February 2018

Dear Tyler, Thank you for providing your honest feedback. If you are ever experiencing an urgent issue, you can add this to the subject of your support request and we will try our best to facilitate your urgent needs. We are constantly seeking to improve our product and support offerings and I have forwarded your product feedback to all of the appropriate teams for review. They will also reach out to you if they need more information. We appreciate your interaction with our user community as we continue to implement new features from our Product Suggestion Board! We look forward to our continued partnership!

Terri from HomePointe Property Management & Robarts Properties LP

Accounting using AppFolio for 7 years

I am not a computer geek, but have had a little computer programming training in the past. As I read the different users complaining about things or how they think their issues should be addressed in the upgrades to the system sooner than other issues, I wish I could open their eyes to finding creative ways to make things work for them till the next improvement arrives. AppFolio is a very elaborate program and there are multiple ways to accomplish almost every task needed in the property management field. AppFolio's development staff has a very complicated job to make this program work perfectly for all their users coming from all different kinds of backgrounds and from what I have seen over the past 7 years, they are doing an amazing job (and it appears they have a lot of fun in the process).

Pros

The support staff is amazing. Responses are within 12 to 24 hrs and solutions are found or suggestions for the future improvements. Over the past 7 years I have watched with admiration as this program has blossomed, filling the needs of multiple users in detailed ways. I use AppFolio in two different accounting venues, one with a large property management company servicing over 1600 home rentals, the other with one owner handling his 325 apartment units. This program provides excellent adaptable reports for both aspects of a property management company and for one owner with multiple apartment complexes in all phases of financial accounting, rental reports and maintenance. AppFolio encourages all discussions between all users and the staff of AppFolio resulting in ongoing improvements and additional options within the program. To be quite honest, since my specialty is the accounting department, there are many parts of AppFolio that I have not had the privilege of really working with, but those that I have come across look to be as detailed and helpful as the accounting processes. The Help & Training section within the program is also evolving and very detailed in explaining how things work.

Cons

If I had to find something I didn't like it would be the constant change that requires me to think and be constantly attentive to the processes in the program. It seems that almost every week there is a subtle or large change that rocks me for a moment. It is frustrating at times to stop and relearn a process. But then to my amazement I am once again loving this program even more and all that it does to make my job easier. You can't use this program out of habit. It is always evolving for the better.

Christine from Martin Inc Realtors

Took a bit to get the hang of it, but would NEVER go back!

Pros

1. It has what I want from a property software,and if they don't have it, they will if you ask! 2. The customer service is spot on, they really love their customers and it shows! 3. Notes for EVERYTHING with PICS! No more tenants claiming they don't know what you're talking about or not knowing what they are trying to tell you is wrong with their units! 4. It makes it easy to keep track of all the data we have, literally everything has a place to be put. 5. I really love how in depth the help pages are and the fact that there are forums for the users to talk to each other about what they deal with and how they have worked around issues. It can take some time to find the right thing sometimes, but you can always find a way to make things work. Appfolio is very adaptable and it feels like there is no one way to use it. It works with each person in their own way!

Cons

1. The accounting took awhile to get used to and can be a little clunky and confusing at times (and I have an accounting degree). 2. Customer service can take up to 24 hours to get back to you, while that is still a good response time, when you have accounting questions, it can seem like forever. 3. Having the option for so much data can make it hard to remember WHERE your data for a particular item got placed. Was it the unit page? Owner page? Tenant notes? Vendor notes? Maintenance notes? Who knows! It would be great to see a system that links together notes a little better with catch words or a notes search option by date etc to make finding the large volumes of data we collect a little easier. But it is STILL a far better system than anything we have used before.

Response from Mackenzie

Replied July 2017

Dear Christine, thanks for sharing your review! We appreciate your thoughtful feedback and are happy to see that appfolio has been a significant improvement from your last solution. We look forward to always improving our software for your use!

Lisa from Summit View Village/Skyline Property Management

Appfolio is AWESOME!

The customer conferences are so beneficial and give the opportunity for new customers to talk with your staff directly and other Appfolio users. I believe this was key when we first converted and were going through the growing pains ourselves. Now that we have used this product for several years- I like to attend the conference, not only to connect with your team in the genius bar and in the classes--but to help the newbies by sharing our experiences with them and tell them about our processes. I just think overall the conference helps everyone get reconnected and I find it very beneficial.

Pros

The appfolio team listens to their end users and encourages input/feedback, so that they can make changes/upgrades on a continual basis. This, in my opinion, is one the biggest things that puts Appfolio WAY ahead of its competition. The program is stupid-easy to use. (seriously, training on this system is a breeeze--it is truly "user friendly") Texting and email ability allowed me to cancel another paid service I used to use--and these features are SUCH a time saver, plus our residents LOVE it! PLUS the system keeps the documentation- I don't have to spend time adding it in as a note! Win-win! Online payments free up SO much of my time now. (Residents love the convenience as well) The majority of my property pay online!!

Cons

I can't think of one thing! I just really like Appfolio and I believe that the company has their fingers on the pulse of what we need. THANK YOU!

Response from Mackenzie

Replied July 2017

Dear Lisa, thank you for your kind words! Our team loves seeing and working with you at our annual conference - we all truly enjoy meeting our customers face to face each year. We look forward to continually improving your experience with AppFolio and giving you the tools you need for your business. We hope to see you again at this year's conference!

David from Wilson Management Group, LLC

Outstanding software, but customer service could be better

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the software platform and I have not regretted switching to AppFolio from our previous property management software platform. Making the switch to AppFolio was a very beneficial business decision, from a number of perspectives.

Pros

AppFolio is very intuitive and the learning curve for basic functionality and navigation within the software is relatively short. The "help" section is generally very informative. From a property management, unit-based accounting perspective, the software is very robust and offers tremendous bang for the buck. Using the software platform streamlines work flow and provides increased efficiency within the office. The Tenant and Owner Portals are hugely beneficial for all parties. Paying rent (Tenants) or sending funds for maintenance & repairs (Owners) is simple and quick. The ability to submit online maintenance requests through the Tenant portal is also a positive feature of the software. Work orders can be generated directly from the maintenance request and they can be easily tracked to completion. The text & email capabilities within the software are also positive features. Having the ability to review email/text history without having to search through an external email program is terrific.

Cons

The Tenant Move Out & Security Deposit Disbursement process is one of few features that I don't care for. Processing security deposit claims where a portion of the SD is forfeited to the owner, a portion of the SD is forfeited to the management company and a portion of the SD is refunded to the Tenant is not a smooth or intuitive process. Security deposit funds cannot be retained within the escrow account until funds can be legally disbursed - they are automatically transferred from the SD escrow/trust account to the management/property account. This places an additional burden on accounting staff to ensure that funds are not inadvertently released/disbursed before statutory time frames allow. It would be helpful if the state specific SD disbursement protocol could be customized by the end user.

Response from Mackenzie

Replied June 2016

Dear David, thanks for sharing your feedback with us! We are happy that AppFolio has been a beneficial change for your business! We have made significant changes to the move-out process and next up we'll enhance the move-out accounting flow. When our product team begins researching the needs for the move-out/security deposit accounting flows we will have a Product Manager reach out to you directly to learn about your use of this feature!

Matt from Yourrentalhome.com

AppFolio Review

AppFolio is a wonderful software overall. We just need the ability to create custom workflows, procedures, activities, inspections.

Pros

Online rent pay, online Leasing, integrated accounting, integrated website, the ability to broadcast to multiple third party websites during Leasing, automatic applicant and tenant notifications when scheduling a showing.

Cons

Need customizable project management checklists. We systematize everything. We create workflows and procedures for everything so we do things the same way every time. A perfect example for this would be during move in / move out. There are 20 steps that must be completed every time a tenant moves in and moves out. We have these steps written down in Excel. But Excel checklist is not a shared list so we have no idea when things are completed. We work in different locations. We would have better communication if there was a live custom checklist that we could create and use under a couple different workflows in af. It would be ideal to have "add custom workflow" as a drop down during certain processes. For example during the "initiate move out" process. On page 1 of the move out process, we could then choose which checklist to use. Better yet in the checklist it would ask if you want that to be included every time one of the following processes occur. That's perfect. Then the users have no choice but to complete each task in the workflow. That checklist would be integrated with the pertinent users desktop as open activities. you can have 5 different users are assigned to specific tasks in the checklist and the ability to set deadlines per task. And when there are multiple users, each user only has authority to check off the tasks they were assigned to. Then it would date and time stamp each completed tasks in the checklist ss completed. Of course we would need the ability to assign tasks between users in the event a user is out or an available at this time. Examples of some recurring tasks that we do during every move out are: post home for online install for rent sign, clean carpets, Janitorial, etc. AF should add custom user titles per property or per Property Group. This way you can click to assign who's the maintenance supervisor, maintenance tech, property manager, on-site manager, janitor. That information would then be accessible in letters and in this case when assigning tasks. For example clean carpets always goes to that user title, etc. As the move in move out deadline approaches, everyone involved in the checklist workflow can view exactly what stage the progress is at. And alerts could go out if someone misses their deadline. One other nice feature would be that if we make a task required then the subsequent task cannot be checked off until the preceding task has been checked off. So move in move out is one example where this would come in handy. Eviction would be another time. And this would be extremely helpful for remodeling... perfect example is never install flooring before the interior is painted. Inspections need help as well. We don't use inspections in af because of this. Once an inspection is completed any user can delete it. It needs to be non-modifiable once completed. Also, we should have multiple types of inspections. In particular, one for move in move out that would have two columns one for move-in condition and one column for move out condition. Then we can compare condition when the tenant moves out against the info they completed when they moved in. Further, this should be integrated into the tenant portal so the tenant can complete the inspection themselves as they walk through the home. A copy can go to the property manager who can then agree or disagree with each of the findings. Then a copy of the inspection would be made available in a PDF format for the tenant in there tenant portal just like a copy of the lease is available. Lastly, currently we can only add photos to an inspection when an item needs repair. That's not the case. Just because damage exists does not mean that we will make repairs but we do need to document the condition in most cases. An example would be scratches on a stainless steel refrigerator door. We may note that they exist just so that we know the new tenant is not responsible for the damage but the scratches aren't bad enough to Warrant purchasing a new refrigerator. It would be nice to have a box to check to automatically send digital birthday cards to all tenants, vendors, etc. And if people want to go old school, you could make this a profit Center for AF. Where you have a subsidiary or partner printing company that will send holiday cards and birthday cards at the appropriate times if we enable that feature period then all the data is pulled directly from the tenant profiles so they get their birthday cards on time.

Response from Mackenzie

Replied June 2017

Dear Matt, thanks for sharing so much detailed feedback with us! We love hearing from our customers and will definitely share your thoughts with our teams. We hope that as you spend more time with AppFolio you will be able to realize the full value of our program for your business and find new success!

Nori from Performance Properties, Inc.

Appfolio is a great basic software program for small to medium sized Property Management companies.

We have been a client of Appfolio since their onset and helped them with Beta testing when they rolled out their product over 8 years ago. It was a great alternative to Yardi Enterprise which we were using at the time. There are many features which help make our processes functional and smooth and it is a nice looking program.

Pros

The integration of the program with our website helps cut down on many steps and the marketing and accounting features are well laid out and easy to use.

Cons

The maintenance section is very basic and does not have nearly enough flexibility for our growing maintenance division. We did not really outgrow this segment of the program until 2 or 3 years ago. Now we have signed up with another software company to manage the maintenance side of our business. This is also not a great program for companies who have a combination of services, it's mainly geared toward fee managed residential property managers. Besides residential property management, we handle construction and remodeling, commercial property management, real estate sales, and self-storage management. Most of these other services are handled through software programs besides Appfolio.

Response from Mackenzie Nielsen

Replied February 2017

Dear Nori, thank you for your review and for providing us with detailed feedback! We appreciate your partnership with us since the beginning, we hope to continually support and keep loyal customers like you happy! We are currently working on many updates for the maintenance features, one of our Product Specialists will be reaching out to you directly to discuss how these new updates will support you, as well as gather more information on what other features you are in need of for a seamless maintenance experience. We look forward to continuing our partnership with you for many years to come!

Tamra from Asset Management Services

AppFolio

The product overall is a very nice product for a residential management application. User friendly, decent functionality, clean look. Sales and implementation teams are very responsive; the continuation teams are not quite as responsive or accessible. They have a user forum where suggestions, questions and answers can be submitted and reviewed. They are continually improving the product and consider user suggestions in their enhancement process. That said, we manage commercial properties, not residential. We knew there would be some adjustments in processes and procedures we would need to make but the platform is NOT overall conducive to commercial management as we were led to believe. We were so excited to finally streamline some of our processes while adding tenant and owner portals, so when this failed, we were incredibly disappointed. While they are on the right track and may have a solid commercial management product down the road, they are definitely not there yet if the user is managing multiple properties, especially if the properties have independent banking accounts. It was difficult to properly rate the product as I believe it is a great product for the correct application and certainly competitively priced and affordable. However, our experience was less than favorable due to the inconsistencies and limitations for our needs.

Pros

Very user friendly; clean look; multiple search functions; decent reporting; user portal functionality; great implementation team; decent support; continually adding new features and enhancements; affordable - great value for the investment

Cons

Very limited for commercial property management applications; accounting platform does not adequately support multiple or independent accounts for individual properties; tenant and owner profile info pages are very limited for a commercial

Response from Mackenzie

Replied October 2016

Hi Tamra - Thank you for posting a review, we appreciate your willingness to share your feedback as we are always seeking to improve our offering! When your company decided to leave AppFolio in April, our Customer Success team learned in detail about the challenges you had with our system. Since then, we have improved the tenant portal experience for commercial tenants and are continually making improvements to our accounting and reporting workflows. We have many happy commercial property managers using our system and hope that you will consider us again in the future!

Margo from Service First Property Management

Appfolio: The Cutting Edge Experience

I have been using the Appfolio software for 18 months now and I am still learning ways to customize reports so that I only see pertinent information. I discover ways of inputting information and narrowing my searches for information, such as finding information about appliances, which SKU we purchase for the apartments so I can give this information to the vendor which saves me and their employee valuable time and frees us up to serve more customers. I <3 Appfolio!

Pros

Appfolio is a property manager's 'one-stop shop'. I am the office coordinator, partnering with the property owners and maintenance manager. If our employees can't find the information they need about a tenant, application, report or work order, then we need to train better because Appfolio provides the templates to input any information needed to screen applicants, communicate with tenants, manage work orders, locate a property by link to Google maps. Every page has a feedback/suggestion link at the bottom of the page. We receive regular notifications of updates by the Appfolio team. I don't work with accounting, but if a vendor calls about payments or account information I know how to access it and even narrow my searches.

Cons

It would be most helpful if work orders could be categorized since we have maintenance employees who specialize in plumbing and HVAC. It would also be helpful if a work order that has been marked 'Urgent' pulled to the top of the list or color-coded red so that it was instantly recognized as urgent by our maintenance personnel. There just aren't a lot of cons from the aspect I work from.

Response from Torri

Replied July 2018

Dear Margo, thank you for taking the time to leave this review! We love partnering with you and it's great to hear that AppFolio is your one-stop shop for property management!

Krickett from Minnix Property Management

Best decision we've made

AppFolio has made our business more efficient which has enabled us to provide a higher level of customer service not only to our clients but our customers as well.

Pros

There are several features to the software that make it a great product for our team to use. #1. The ease of use and overall aesthetic functionality is hands down best I've seen. #2. The ability to have all of our property management activities done out of one centralized location has increased our efficiency. #3. We love the conversational component of AppFolio. Being able to communicate with our resident base out of the system and have that communication recorded is a value add unlike anything else. Documentation of conversations is hard, especially since we are people, AppFolio takes the excuse out of not recording conversations. #4. The evolution of AppFolio is amazing. In attending my first conference I discovered that the ability for AppFolio to create such an evolving product is tied into not only the phenomenal leadership but also to the phenomenal talent and passion among the team. I love that they listen to what the customer wants and 9 times out of 10 makes it happen. Such a customer service focused environment.

Cons

If I were to say there is a feature I like the least about AppFolio it is that we can't yet have the vendor communication recorded anywhere but the vendor page. I'd love to have all vendor communication link back to the work order for a more complete conversation log.

Cheryl from Ben Frederick Realty, Inc.

Easy Program to Learn!

Pros

I started in property management in 2015 with absolutely no experience with PM or PMOS! My boss and I went over running owner reports and monthly statements, but that was about it. Everything else I had to learn on my own. I'd say I was at 80% of mastering all the features and systems within about a week. Luckily, the "support" system has become much more efficient that my predecessor's notes said. Presently, the longest you ever have to wait for support is about 12 hours. They always develop new features which makes things easier. I particularly like being able to "Text Unit" or "Text Property" features. Tenants can "text" back, but it comes in the form of an email. If you use your personal phone for business, this is tremendous!!!! You can also see who made edits which is nice. My office only has 2 people, but I can imagine that if you were in a larger office you would want to be able to note who made what changes and why. Move out accounting is super easy with Appfolio - saves me a lot of time generating move out reports. And finally, I'd say that online applications really streamline the process. This is by far my fave feature of Appfolio.

Cons

While I can allocate certain payments, I can't seem to allocate charges. I'd like to be able to do that. Also, transitioning tenants from one unit to the other is confusing. It's not hard to do, but I don't follow the logic. That might just my fault.

Joseph from S & S Properties Investment LLC

Appfolio experienced user

I watched it grow tremendously over the years. With the growth being influenced by current trends of modern technology in relevant markets and the continuous implementation of users request. Appfolio is growing the right way.

Pros

User friendly, quick customer support and the ability to pull/create custom reports. The awareness that we the customer are always being heard.

Cons

Only thing I can say as a paying customer is we would appreciate some discounts on new products or at the very least a free trail run with some type of commitment from us some where later down the road

Displaying 1 - 50 of 1,487 reviews