All Xero Reviews

Karim

11 - 50 employees

Used more than 2 years

Reviewed January 2021

One stop Accounting solutions for Small to Medium organisations.

Kathryn

Arts and Crafts, 1 employee

Reviewed August 2019

Affordable professional level accounting software for small business

It's been easier to use Xero than I expected, but I had a nasty surprise at tax time when I realized the default accounts/descriptions for expenses did not correlate 1:1 to IRS categories. (I should have checked this more closely when I set up my accounts because it's a New Zealand company, and the previous product was local.) This means I will need to double-check all my transactions for 2018 and the IRS has my vastly overestimated tax payment until I can do that and file my return on an extension. I've had a much better experience importing data from financial institutions because Xero uses a well-known importing service that is trusted by the institutions. I like being able to match multiple invoices to bank deposits because I usually don't run to the bank for each check. This will be more valuable as my company grows. I should probably find an accountant to assist me with this, but I haven't found an accountant who understands both craft businesses and Xero.

PROS

Professional double entry software at a very affordable price Accommodates both cash and accrual accounting Links to financial institutions to get transactions Uses standard importer recognized by the financial institutions instead of just trying to log in remotely (and triggering fraud alerts) Can match multiple invoices to a single deposit transaction imported from bank Can keep using Xero as company grows

CONS

Pre-existing expense categories/descriptions don't map 1:1 with IRS definitions, so I'm having to go back to all my receipts to make sure expenses are entered in proper accounts because I didn't realize this when I switched More difficult to focus on specific expense categories to check transactions Have not been able to import historic data from previous app (possibly because it's not double entry) so I am still paying the subscription on that software to retain access to my data No integration with Craftybase, so I have to enter supply purchases and customer invoices there independently

Reason for choosing Xero

QuickBooks introduced a special product for Etsy integration, but early adopters had problems with data disappearing and no way to recover it. Otherwise, the cost of QuickBooks to cover the same features I use in Xero would have been very expensive; even a QB consultant told me it's overkill for a business of my size. I forget which other products I looked at, but Xero was recommended by several owners of similar businesses.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Outright depends on importing data from financial institutions but they were extremely unreliable (apparently they don't use a standard importing service and my credit union kept flagging them as hackers for remote logins) and customer service kept giving me the runaround. It also isn't "professional" double-entry bookkeeping and can't be audited. Outright can't handle Cost of Goods Sold properly and requires manual workarounds. It can't generate professional reports needed when applying for loans.

Julian

Computer Software, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Excellent accounting software

Been using Xero for years and have only good things to say. Its been a game changer for us.

PROS

Once it is setup, it will change the way you work. With a streamlined and easy to use interface it is great for day to day business, and for checking reports too. Bank reconciliation and reminders are super important features.

CONS

The chart of accounts was a bit confusing but understand it now.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Xero was a lot more powerful and had many more features.

Steve

Marketing and Advertising, 1 employee

Great tool to help Create Financial Docs for Business

Overall I liked the idea of the tool. The fact it pulled data into a P&L and Balance Sheet helped give me the status of the business.

PROS

Linking it to my bank accounts and credit cards allowed it to pull in data to create some financials. This was very helpful early on in our start-up journey

CONS

It would pull data into our financials which after closer review was incorrect. This caused us to spend extra time modifying the financial reports.

Construction, 2-10 employees

Projects Feature/Module

We use Projects in our business which is critical to getting accurate real-time reporting, but is actually a waste of money and time. The features have not been designed with "Projects" in mind. It was as if someone at Xero decided it was a good idea to make this an add-on which users have to pay for.

PROS

Not much. It really only serves the accounts payable/receivable function fairly well.

CONS

It was touted to be the go-to software but in reality it is really no better that most others. It is frustratingly clunky to use.

Nancy

Restaurants, 11-50 employees

Reviewed January 2024

Great Software

PROS

really easy to use & can have a multiple tabs open at one time

CONS

needs more keyboard shortcuts & better access controls for users

Reason for choosing Xero

Xero was much easier to use & imports were required for our use case

Reasons for switching to Xero

Quickbooks is not user friendly at all and their support is terrible. They actually transferred one of my employees to me once when we called them for support.

Alex

Retail, 2-10 employees

Frustrating

They continually raise their prices but don’t improve their feed issues. I wish I had started with quick books and didn’t have to learn a new system if I leave xero. It was cheaper. Now they cost about the same. Just hasn’t been with it but I’ve been here so long it’s hard to change over

PROS

When it works it’s great. Makes taxes much easier if you keep up with transactions.

CONS

Constantly disconnects from one or more account. Or all of the. You can’t reconnect. Customer services doesn’t do anything to help but waste your time. They say it’s another companies fault that works with the banks but there is no way to reach them and they can’t do anything but put in requests that are ignored. Incredibly poor system. Over a month of no connection to accounts. A week or two here and there. Forget doing weekly account or even daily if this happens. No notice when it is working again. Or you have to manually import you5 feeds which is super time consuming, a bunch of steps and doesn’t work with iPads,

ANDREW

Accounting, 11-50 employees

Recommendable and user-friendly

so far it is the best software I use that is user-friendly and the automation gives me a lot of help in minimizing manual tasks.

PROS

1.user-friendly like other applications I used. 2. enhance it functionality and flexibility. 3. helps a lot in bank reconciliation that reduce manual task.

CONS

need more improvements on user level for access and control but does not affect our business.

Thomas

Events Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2024

A easy to use system that makes life so much easier

PROS

Xero helps with the day to day running of our business, it makes chasing debtors far easier and keeps everything in one place. we particularly like all the reports it can give us just by the click of a button.

CONS

There's not much to dislike with Xero except maybe parts of it can be over complicated.

Rita

Logistics and Supply Chain, 11-50 employees

Reviewed April 2024

Easy to use functional software

PROS

Ease of use and user-friendly interface with plenty of extra information. Anytime I've spoke with the wider team they are super responsive. I'm very happy with Xero.

CONS

Nothing, cannot comment on what i dont like about Xero

Reason for choosing Xero

Very well known and highly recommended in the industry.

Human Resources, 2-10 employees

Perfect for small businesses

Very positive on a whole has never let us down once

PROS

Very easy to use for the not so tech savvy like me

CONS

There are some cheaper options out there so would be better if they gave option to match

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2020

A leading software in it's industry

A beautiful piece of software that turns a once tedious chore, into an easy and intuitive process. I always recommend my clients to use Xero (if they can afford to) as I believe it makes the workflow much smoother and simpler for everyone involved.

PROS

As an accountant and bookkeeping business owner I have been using accounting software for well over 10 years. I have to say when Xero entered the market I was definitely curious as to what it could bring to the market. I believe Xero have captured a very nice niche of the industry with it's very business orientated user interface and simplisitic feel. It makes accounting somewhat fun for the business owner. The way that they have revolutionized the way the bank reconciliation is performed makes it easier for buiness owner and accountant/bookkeeper to work together. I love the comments functionality and the rules that can be set to repeating transactions. The AI in the bank reconciliation also has a very nice balance to it. It will allocate your transactions when you need it to, but not too aggressively - meaning you don't have to undo all the automatic allocations (unlike some other software like MYOB). They also have a lot of resources to help business owners and financial professionals. In addition they make continual updates to their software to adapt to the times.

CONS

I think the biggest con of the software is the price tag. Many of my clients have found this to be a stumbling block, saying that the monthly subscription fee is too high for their business. Other than the price, the only other con is the support is only via email (this is the last time I had an issue which was a few months ago). They do not have a support contact phone line (in Australia at least) - so response has to be via email (which may lead onto a call later if it cannot be resolved by email). Which takes longer to resolve the issues.

Reason for choosing Xero

As mentioned above, I prefer the functionality.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Functionality was much better and robust in Xero than in MYOB.

Sibylle

Financial Services, 1 employee

Used monthly for more than 2 years

Reviewed November 2020

My investment in Xero didn't work out

I became Xero certified in 2016, I was very enthusiastic about the product at the time, and thought I would be building a practice using it. Unfortunately, the more I used it, the less well it worked for me, due to the reasons given above and more. I also find the Xero portal for practitioners unnecessarily complex and difficult to navigate. The company was always also assigning new account managers to me. I think I've met four or five in total. Xero frequently asked me for feedback and I provided it several times, especially about my discontent with their reconciliation process, which I consider inadequate to my needs as a professional bookkeeper, and which I had seen cause significant problems for business owners trying to maintain their own file. Though I repeated this feedback over the course of several years, it hasn't changed. I realize I'm just one customer, and I don't know if others feel the same way or not. Anyway, in the end, I didn't want to work with this issue anymore.

PROS

Transaction processing in the bank feed is, as they claim, very well set up. At the time I started using Xero, the company also seemed to provide some needed competition and an alternative to intuit in the small business accounting software space.

CONS

The other accounting software apps I use are QBO and Wave. Both, IMO, are better than Xero. Back to the bank feed -- Xero is unable to connect with a number of banks. In addition, the bank feed sometimes drops out transactions with no notice to the file owner or bookkeeper. Thanks to the lack of a reconciliation process tied to hard numbers, inaccuracies can pile up in the registers as a result. In addition, overall access to data in the registers is more awkward to accomplish than in either QBO or Wave. Editing transactions is significantly more complex than in QBO. The system of comparison between the "bank statement lines" and the account register was confusing at times. And there are odd glitches in the reporting (cannot recall all the details now, I only have one client left using this app) that I had to watch out for. Xero is a product that has some really amazing capabilities mixed in with real weaknesses.

See above.

Reasons for switching to Xero

At the time, Xero looked better. Over time, QBO caught up and now surpasses Xero in quality, IMO.

Quratulain

Information Technology and Services, 2-10 employees

Reviewed February 2021

Best in Multi-currency accounting for SMB

Xero was the best choice back in 2015 (when no one gave multi-currency) and still is in 2021 (when there are some who do). I have now added another company to Xero and cannot imagine shifting to another platform....ever.

PROS

With most clients abroads, we find its best to bill them in their local currency. Luckily for us, Xero is there to help sort our books out and keep them in order. It integrates with many bank feeds & popular wallets/fintechs like PayPal, Payoneer & TransferWise so accounts are upto date - always. Another feature we really use is their tracking fields. Xero allows users to setup 2 tracking fields that can be added to invoices, expenses, bills and assigned to each line. This helps us keep track of project based work and has been our way since before Xero ventured into Project based accounting (that users need to pay additional fee for) It also integrates with online payment gateways such as PayPal, Stripe, GoCardless, and a few others; thus payments are a breeze for clients. As a non-accountant, Xero is easy to use even when you get into all the features it provides.

CONS

They have made some changes to their UI esp where invoices and expenses are concerned. Luckily for older users, expenses are still free however, for new users it isnt and each person filing expenses on it needs to pay a small fee. I think it should be free for a small number of users (atleast 2) and then charged.

Reason for choosing Xero

There was no multi-currency in Quickbooks available. Bank feeds were also not there for some of the banks I wanted. For a similar price point Xero offered better features and a product that was easier to use for a non-accountant.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Freshbooks didnt give Multi-currency and it was causing problems with reporting

Accounting, 2-10 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Xero is the One

I am very satisfied to be building my practice on Xero. They have a good product with a good company behind it. They seem to really care about their advisors and see them as key to their business model. They have a great community and great support.

PROS

What I like most about Xero is its open-platform ethos. It's not one particular feature, it's the whole way that Xero approaches what it does, and it shows up all over the product. One small example is how easy it is to manually import bank transactions via CSV file, and then how easy it is to undo that import if it went wrong. It's less about features (although Cash Coding and Find & Recode are brilliant) and more about design choices.

CONS

I want them to hurry up and integrate Hubdoc into Xero itself. And when that happens, I want there to be a way to generate a report that shows which GL transactions don't have a source document.

Reason for choosing Xero

In the end, I decided that the ability to integrate apps was going to be determinative over the long term. Xero and QBO are way out in front when it comes to integration and I expect that as the market matures, they will end up with a Coke-and-Pepsi-level of market dominance. They may already be there. Early on, I tried to get someone to sell me Accounting Power and/or Sage 50, but neither company seemed organized enough to close the sale. I was looking for a software partner that I could build my practice on and Xero were the ones who showed me they wanted to be that and had a plan to make it happen.

Reasons for switching to Xero

Quickbooks treats their ProAdvisors the way Scar treats the hyenas in the Lion King. For Quickbooks, the advisor community will always be a means to an end. Their products are built for consumers, not professionals, and I expect they always will be.

Used monthly for less than 2 years

Reviewed February 2022

Powerful Accounting Software that Enables Anyone to Effectively Manage Their Accounts

Overall, Xero was a truly powerful software that took the dread of dealing with accounting and reconciliation and made it rather straightforward. The accounting process can effectively be handled by any person, which is rather refreshing. As an attorney, I'm not an accountant. So having something else to learn and utilize while already extremely busy would be a major inconvenience. However, Xero took what would have been a terrible experience and made it manageable.

PROS

Xero is a pretty straightforward product that is effectively almost immediately deployable. Xero's dashboard is not bulky or overwhelming like a significant number of other accounting software tends to be. Xero's help manuals and tutorials were also very useful and are great for helping users quickly refamiliarize themselves with the software. Xero worked well for my law firm for IOLTA (Lawyer Trust Account) reconciliation purposes. With the software linked to your desired account, you can easily reconcile all incoming and outgoing payments and expenses on a given account. Once set up, you literally can log in right after making a purchase to reconcile your accounts without having to fumble through old receipts later to try to remember specific actions that were taken on behalf of a client.

CONS

The only con that I personally experienced with Xero was that I routinely was required to relink and subsequently "resync" my banking account with Xero. Admittedly, this may have been a banking issue and not necessarily a Xero issue. However, when the relinking had to happen, this created a significant amount of issues because I was forced to relink the account, reimport expenses and incoming sums and then ensure that all the amounts had actually synced appropriately from my physical bank account to the Xero software.

Reason for choosing Xero

The price of Xero and the ability to effectively use the software almost immediately made the decision to choose Xero a straightforward one.

Reasons for switching to Xero

We switched from Quickbooks because the software felt really cumbersome and was not very user friendly to someone that isn't an accounting professional.

Cody

Entertainment, 51-200 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Easy to Implement and Manage Global Business, Low Customization Options

Kanopy has found Xero to serve its needs well, but ultimately we moved on and migrated to NetSuite years later. We still keep Xero though for 1 international subsidiary that we found to be advantageous not to migrate. The mature business with complex operations may not find all needs are met with Xero, especially if the desire is to integrate many other tools/software with the ERP in a bi-directional data flow.

PROS

Xero serves well as an "out of the box" accounting system, not unlike Quickbooks. It also has more functionality and use internationally, making it a superior choice to QB if your business operates on a global, multicurrency basis. There are some solid automations which can be implemented with Xero as well, and the canned reporting generally suffices for the majority of basic financial needs.

CONS

Xero lacks the open customization options that software like Netsuite or Dynamics offers. For a small business this will often be fine, but a scaling operation looking to automate many functions based on unique business needs may someday find they have outgrown Xero and need to undergo an (often painful) ERP migration.

Reason for choosing Xero

International features are superior, and ability to manage multiple subsidiaries based in different countries is more manageable in Xero.

Faisal Shafi