AbacusLaw Reviews

3.80 / 5 (259)

Our advisors have recommended this product 3 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "The support team is fantastic. I was new to this software (or any type of law software) and received no training. They have been wonderful any time I've had any type of question."

• "I love that we have all of our case information in one area which is easy to access and configure to our needs. "

• "What I like most about AbacusLaw is how easy it is to use. It is very straightforward and understandable."

• Cons

• "It's a pain to program and get running to specifications, but it is truly customizable if time allowed for it."

• "Setting up rules has always given me a bit of a problem."

• "While is is very customizable, the interface to customize could be easier . Generally, I need to call ABACUS to get changes made (which they are great at doing)"

Browse AbacusLaw Reviews

Tera from Reynolds, Horne & Survant

AbacusLaw User

This program has been very user friendly. Info is easy to add or delete from a file in this program. It keeps issues very organized. Tabs can be customized to your firm.

Pros

This software allows us to keep our client's files organized. We can tailor this program to what we need in our client's files based on what out firm does, and/or what type of case it is. We can keep up with our calendars and everyone can log in from wherever they are and see the daily organizer for all or individuals. It allows us to keep notes in files, monitors for conflicts, and is very useful for setting ticklers to use as reminders. I find it very useful that it keeps up with all the players and their info under "linked names". Also keeps up w/ events, docs, & emails in one place.

Cons

If things are moved on the main drive, it breaks the links in abacus and they are no longer able to be found or traced if whomever moves the doc or breaks the link doesn't make a new one at that time.

Amanda from The Spencer Law Firm, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use and customize, terrible customer support

I've enjoyed using Abacus for many years. I used the cloud based option which was really great aside from the cost for storage space and it's limitations. I'm not crazy about their support team, but it wasn't a huge problem because it usually worked fine on it own. There are limits to the reporting, but they are also very customizable within those limits. Creating custom mail merge documents is a breeze.

Pros

I like the ease of making documents and templates with Abacus. It is very customizable and easy to use. I like having the matters and names databases and being able to cross reference cases with people. The reporting is good, but could use some work so that you can pull reports from 2 different databases at once (i.e. the addresses of all of the clients or providers for all active matters).

Cons

The draw back with Abacus is that it doesn't give you check lists or ways to case manage very well. It's easy to use and customize, which is good, because their customer services is slow and not great.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied April 2019

Dear Amanda, Thank you so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, providing excellent products is very important to us, so it's good to hear we're delivering on that promise. I'm sorry our client service hasn't met your expectations; please feel free to get in touch with me if I can help. On behalf of all of us at AbacusNext, thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come. All the best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882

Schawnne from Huntingdon House

The Best Legal Software

Our intention was to keep our law project as paperless as we could and AbacusLaw plays a big part in allowing us to achieve this goal.

Pros

What I like most about AbacusLaw is how user-friendly it is and how we were able to use it to keep the project organized on a daily basis. It is a complete package.

Cons

I think I liked everything about AbacusLaw. I cannot think of any problem that I had with the software.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

We went with AbacusLaw because of how the software offered a complete package at a price we could afford. It allowed us to accomplish our goals and did not hinder our work in anyway I can think of.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied January 2020

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review, Schawnne. We're glad AbacusLaw has helped your organization meet its goal of going paperless, and that you've found the product easy to use. We appreciate you sharing your experience with us and the Capterra community! All the best, The team at AbacusNext

Norm from Keyt Law Office, LLC

Problems with Support

Three of four years ago, I would have given five stars on all categories. Things have changed. In addition, the new owners increased annual license fees 40% last year.

Pros

It is a comprehensive software product for a law office, with case management, document management and billing. Our firm has been using it for 12 years.

Cons

The original founder of Abacus had very high standards. Tech support was very good. You could always connect quickly with a knowledgeable tech support specialist. In addition, for the first 7 or 8 years we used it, it was virtually bullet proof. It rarely, if ever, had a crash or issue of any kind. In more recent versions, you started to see more crashes or technical problems. But, at least the support was good when needed. The founder sold the company a couple of years ago. They acquired Amicus, several other products and most recently HotDocs. The quality of their tech support has significantly deteriorated. For example, we had a crash using the billing component, with a window that popped up with an error code this morning at roughly 9:00 a.m. Called tech support, was on hold for ten minutes, then prompted to leave a message. Left message at 9:10 a.m. this morning. In fact, both I and the user of the workstation left messages. It is 3:15 p.m. and Abacus has not called back.

Dorean from M&M PA

User Friendly Lots of Features

This software allows me to keep my case files very organized. I love that I can just go to a particular file and all activity associated with the file is located in One place. I don't have to waste time searching different places for information. I definitely love that it is user friendly. When I am training new employees on this software they pick it up fast and it makes them very efficient at getting tasks done.

Pros

It is very user friendly; I love the Icons; It is very versatile; Keeps case files organized

Cons

For some reason it doesn't allow me to attach my emails to the documents. But that may be an operator error.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied May 2019

Dear Dorean, Thank you for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. We're so glad you find it versatile and easy to use. Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come! Best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882

Joseph from Tully & Weiss Attorneys at Law

Stay away from anything having to do with Abacuslaw or Abacus Private Cloud

AbacusLaw and Abacus Private Cloud, which is AbacusLaw on a shared cloud, break down all the time. It was as though the company let monkeys into their server room at night because, while an issue may be fixed one day, it or another, or multiple other issues would pop up the next morning. I can't tell you how many times abacus simply went down right when I needed it most - in the middle of a murder trial for instance! The entire system would crash for days. Yes, the support staff was great but their management and the product itself may as well be the result of demons hellbent on destroying anything productive that you mean to do in your business.

Pros

I needed a solution so I could link emails to certain case files. Also, the fact that all attorneys could access any other person's notes on a case was attractive.

Cons

The software looks and feels like it is straight out of 2002, if not right after Microsoft went WYSIWYG. It's about as clunky as software was in the early 00's as well although it probably isn't as efficient as software was back then.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

AbacusLaw is closely related to Abacus Private Cloud. I could have just used AbacusLaw on the individual nodes at work but the sales rep oversold me on Abacus Private Cloud instead which is a lot more costly. When I called him out on it, he tried to get me to sign up to buy even more products! When I refused to pay my monthly fee because the system kept breaking down, then they held not only all of my exchange data hostage, but also my Microsoft exchange account! Again, stay away from anything having to do with Abacus if you value your business.

Louise from Deep Blue Costs

Ongoing diffciulties

As usual, Customer support was very helpful. He called when he said he would and did his best to resolve the issues over which he had control. Where the issues related to Amicus and he could not resolve them himself, he has pointed me in the right direction so that at least I can try to get them resolved in the future if he cant do so whilst I am on annual leave. In my view, Customer support assistance is really the only redeeming feature of the support provided, with no one else showing any real interest in helping me. The product could be excellent but is let down by speed and support issues. Now I only bother to contact Customer support as he is the only person who has really shown any interest in trying to resolve issues.

Pros

The product has a number of useful features which make it good for use in legal work. The ability to store all documents and correspondences within a file and send them by email or move them to different files are excellent, as is the ability to generate template documents and amend as necessary

Cons

The product is often slow and cumbersome to use, with numerous glitches which never seem to get resolved. we are based in the UK and were told that we would have 24 hour support, but this simply hasn't happened. I have had some issues with Outlook, copying and pasting and documents not attaching to emails for three months now and, whilst Customer support has made every attempt to try and sort these out, he is only able to do so during US working hours (which means from around 3pm UK time) and, despite his commitment and many efforts, the problems are still not resolved which, I understand, is because there is a bug for which there is so far no fix.

Vicki from Hands on Bookkeeping

Solid Product

I really like Abacus. They've been 100% there when I've had any type of issue. Speedy resolution. Great customer service.

Pros

Cons

There have been a few glitches that needed software updates. But the support team is always available and resolve any issues quickly.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied August 2019

Dear Vicki, Thank you for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. At AbacusNext, client service is very important to us. It's good to hear our support team has been able to help any time you've had a question and has resolved issues quickly. Thank you for your patronage; we look forward to being of service for many years to come. Warmly, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882

Straightforward legal calendaring software

Pros

Simple calendaring software, which is all I need to schedule upcoming hearings and deadlines. I don't really use the bells and whistles beyond that.

Cons

No real cons. My use isn't that in depth, but it works well for the simple calendaring that I use it for.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied May 2019

To our valued client, Thanks so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. It's very important to us to create a good user experience for our end users, so we're glad to hear we're delivering on that promise. Thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come. Best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882

Brad from WGA

Industry: Law Practice

Great software for large firms

Pros

I liked that Abacus has deep roots in law. When trialing this software, it is easy to see that they have covered all bases.

Cons

Abacus isn't a cloud based solution - Although to be fair - they mentioned they have cloud based tools and are working on more.

Cloud-based

Response from AbacusNext

Replied June 2019

Dear Brad, Thank you so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. We're so glad you feel this software suits your needs. Indeed, AbacusLaw was our first product, and we're excited to continue its development in the future. Currently, AbacusLaw is compatible with the Abacus Private Cloud. I wanted to clarify this point to ensure you're making the most of your investment. Using AbacusLaw within the Abacus Private Cloud helps you manage your practice with the full security and mobility of a cloud environment. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions! Best, Katie Ternes Marketing Coordinator AbacusNext (858) 882-4882

Tami from Law Office of Diane Anderson

Industry: Law Practice

Have a law office? you need ABACUS!

I feel that if you are an attorney, or work for one, you need AbacusLaw. They have pre-created tasks that you can begin with, or you can create your own specific guidelines for whatever type of law you practice. I had created a timeline that was "to-the-day" for bankruptcy documents to be filed in the Federal Court, and other tasks with clients to complete and file in a timely manner- it was a well-oiled timeline! If somebody practices family law, ie: divorces, child custody, child support- you could create a timeline to file documents as required. Personal Injury attorney or Estate Planning- Criminal law, so many options - Abacus is the program (tool) that helped me to get my jobs done, on time!

Pros

I have worked for two separate law offices since 1998. My first time using Abacus in 1998 (we call her "ABBY") I felt a little overwhelmed- but as I learned HOW the system worked- I LOVED it! I rely on ABBY for everything! I like knowing WHERE the client's file is, whether it is on someone's desk or in the attorney's briefcase, or tucked away in the filing cabinet- it saves time when searching a large or even small office for a file- just click on the client's Matter and look for "LOCATION" and BAM! it tells me the last entered location! ABBY keeps track of notes, events, tasks/to-do's, court hearings, appointments- anything that is important to your office. When a client comes in to the office or calls, I can easily pull up ABBY and see what notes or tasks that others have placed in the system for that client, then I can easily help the client do what they need to do, like print out documents for them to sign - or maybe collect a payment for something- I can help the client without having to pull others away from what they are doing. I have found ABBY to be an AWESOME TOOL for the law office- ABBY is right up there with the scanner, copier and telephone! Cannot run a business without any of those!!

Cons

the ONLY 'bad' thing, is if the HUMAN does not enter their tasks or to-do's, or utilize ABBY as intended. ABBY is like a car, she is not going to go anywhere unless you put the tasks, to-do's, hearings, location of a file, etc. in her. Train the employees to utilize ABBY for your office's needs, and there will be no 'negative' anything regarding ABACUS.

Eric from Medical

We have relied on this software as one of our primary organizational tools for over five years.

It is a mostly comprehensive business-management tool

Pros

The Abacus software, now on Abacus Private Cloud, almost always is functioning properly, and is accessible from anywhere, anytime. After our experience, we would now not use anything that is not cloud-based, particularly being in a city highly prone to power-outages, floods, and hurricanes. We have found the software to steadily improve in features and speed. The customer service is the best I have experienced very particularly in the software industry. The techs are all very knowledgeable and carefully resolve every inquiry. They are also available very quickly, an absolute anomaly in the software business. The calendering component, as others have observed, is a key strong-point. The linking in of all events, documents, e-mails, and notes into one accessible electronic folder provides the convenient efficiency that you will frequently use. It is possible to scan documents directly to the cloud case file from your local computer - an important step-saver. Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, when installed, functions on the APC desktop. You will need reasonably strong, consistent Internet connections. Airport terminals are mostly unusable work locations even with a "jet-pack" or cell-phone "hot-spot."

Cons

This is a powerful software tool. As such, except for the calendar, it is not a "plug & play" system, except for the most computer-fluent users. To fully utilize its comprehensive features will take a commitment to initial as well as ongoing learning while taking the daily, time-consuming steps to precisely link all activities back to the case file. However, the added work will and must obviate the paper file. The queries, forms, and reports functions are all very valuable but are far too complex to user-initiate, and each requires ongoing custom installation by the provider. Cost-effective file collaboration with outsiders is not possible, therefore an added cloud account and the expense is required along with the time of copying and moving sizeable files. Changing accounting from existing into the integrated system is a major transition to be carefully evaluated in advance. Maintaining the current accounting system, at least temporarily, will be required. This software must be your primary organizational tool as it will grow into a weighted expense that is justifiable only if it is the key resource. The software does crash daily when trying to interact with Outlook for file linking of e-mails. It can usually be resolved with a quick re-start. Initiating printing is quite slow and getting slower but understandable with a remote server. Microsoft Office, Adobe Pro, and Reallegal depo transcription all work very well here. Some other applications do not at all.

Barzin from Barry Sabahat, Attorney

Affordable; complete; intuitive

This software allows me to run my small law firm without having to hire full time assistants and automates about 80% of my administrative tasks.

Pros

1. Affordable: Having purchased similar software years ago and having paid an amount for it, I knew that the cost of a new firm management software that handled both front office and back office matters was going to be a major obstacle for me. Particularly if I wanted the software to be resident on my computer as opposed to web-based. But, with the monthly payment plan that Abacuslaw offers, it was very easy to sign up. 2. Complete management solution. There are very few programs around that offer both a full management software and a full accounting software to attorneys. Most of the software out there offers a billing component, but not a full accounting solution. With Abacuslaw, I can have both for the same price. I don't have to have another accounting software like QuickBooks pro to handle the accounting of my office. 3. The software is very easy to use. Most of the time, I can figure things out by myself without much training. But, to the extent I need training, I can find videos on YouTube or worst case scenario, I can sign up for their affordable one on one instructions. 4. Really good support staff: My questions or problems are usually answered and resolved on the same call into the office. Very responsive and knowledgeable support staff and extremely cooperative and helpful. 5. I've done lots of research. Not too many companies with the same level of service and features for the same price. Highly recommend it.

Cons

1. Glitches. While support staff is very responsive, the number of glitches is at times distracting. I would say that I average about maybe one glitch every three months or so. But it is dealt with very soon. 2. Data migration: The only major problem I had with Abacus law was their data migration. I was migrating from Amicus online and they could not transfer my data. Finally, the only thing they were able to migrate was my case information. I had to reenter my financial data myself. My suggestion is to make sure that they understand what format you are migrating from and get a firm commitment from them that they can handle the migration without problems. In the end, though, the drawbacks are so small, compared to the benefits that the minor complaints I have don't even register.

Devan from Barnett & Bennett Law Firm

Excellent Technical Support

Does just about everything I need to for law firm practice management, once I've tinkered with it enough.

Pros

Because I am a power user, I am able to make it do everything I want . There is not any other PM software out there that is as customizable. However, that comes with a cost in usability (more on that below). However, I have had excellent technical support. I had an issue that I could not solve on my own. I called CS and, although they were not able to resolve it in that session, I was impressed with the thoroughness of the work and the help offered. They went above and beyond to to try to ID the issue. After tinkering around more, I called back with more info and was connected to another tech who was able to resolve the issue. Both had excellent professionalism and telephone demeanor. I was very impressed by these two experiences and with the quality of the technicians. This was much better service than I expected and there are only a few companies who have provided this quality of support.

Cons

There is a cost to customizability. That is that it can be quite difficult for a non-computer-guy to set up beyond basic calendaring and contact tracking. The workflow and database relationships are not particularly intuitive. Even simple things like creating a search query take more computer knowledge than most attorney will have. Setting up reports or calendar rules is extremely user-unfriendly. Without my computer background I could never have done it. Because I'm a power user, I can adapt it to meet all of our needs. But out-of-the-box, it's a little too generic to be really useful for most attorneys, even with the "Special Editions." The attorney who referred me to Abacus uses it as nothing more than a calendar and client contacts and it's too expensive to use it that way.

July 2016

Vanya from Vanya Tyrrell Accounting Inc.

July 2016

AbacusLaw is the heart of my practice.

I have been an AbacusLaw customer since 1998. I believe I was the first accountant to try and adapt your matters based program to a client based usage. We spent many hours adapting your improvements every year to insure that I could continue to manage my accounting practice through your program. It was a challenge, but the results are well worth it. I have a data file that has a record of every appointment, every phone call, what IRS agent is assigned to what case, etc., since 1998, for over 5500 tax clients.I have a record of every bill sent to our business clients since we started using Abacus Accounting to manage our receivables. I believe so strongly in this program that, when I joined H&R Block 3 years ago, I demanded a clause allowing me to put this program on their computers. After investigating your program, their tech team recommended that the clause is allowed in my contract, a very rare concession by H&R Block. They have since designed a program for appointments, which is free, and which I am required to use. So we make our appointments in AbacusLaw first then input them into the AM. It takes a little more time but it is worth it. When a client says they have not heard from us, I print out the Abacus record of contact, showing the date and time calls were made and what messages were left. It immediately tames the angry beast and I usually get an apology. This program is the heart of my business. I would be lost without it.

Pros

Their support is absolutely the best. In the very unusual event that I need support, they always remember me, are friendly and super knowledgeable. Usually I am asking for a workaround to make their program do something it isn't designed to do. They could just impress me off, but they really try to make it work the way I need it, and they usually find a way. Having client info at my fingertips makes me look very efficient and very competent.

Judd from Judd Aronowitz, PA

More Love/ less hate relationship

My law practice is totally integrated with Abacus so my overall experience is positive. I think the next big thing that Abacus can do is better is connect with clerk of court's e-portal websites. Electronic filing of documents is now standard practice. I hope abacus starts improving its software to allow electronic filing directly from the program so that it will be just as easy as printing a letter.

Pros

I have been using Abacus Law for over 15 years. I have seen only steady improvement in this superior case management program. Technical assistance is usually good and sometimes superior. Sometimes it can be less than satisfactory but that is rare. I have used this program as a sole practitioner and in a firm with six attorneys plus staff. The program is designed to ramp up or down as needed. I have thousands of contacts, hundreds of forms and I rely on this program to handle my case notes,appointments, forms, documents, emails and bills. Like any case management program the "garbage in garbage out" rule still applies but if a practitioner and staff follows the rules they set up for using the program- then it becomes an indispensable tool. I cannot run my office without it.

Cons

When something goes wrong it can be aggravating. Because sometimes either the lawyer or staff have to spend a good deal of time resolving the problem with the Abacus technician. The one excuse that I don't like to hear from tech support is "that's an outlook issue or that's a windows issue or we have not updated our software to work with that yet."

Kayle from Marla Heikkala & Associates

Industry: Law Practice

Support is nothing short of phenomenal! We switched from Amicus to Abacus and are very happy.

We did the switch because of the buy-out of amicus but have been very happy with the change. We are doing everything through the cloud and it has been seemless.

Pros

Probably the most is the support. I put off my first support call for a long time--waited until I had a good chunk of time because I assumed I would be on hold forever. Not the case. The person that answered the phone (no hold time) was the person that solved my problem with ease. They explained what they were doing so that I could handle the next time if there was a next time and they haven't treated anyone in our office like they were dumb--even when they had no idea what they were doing. This has been the case each time we have called support. The transition, once all of our data was converted went smoothly and even our limited computer users had little problems from day one.

Cons

The least are probably things that I just don't understand how to do yet. We have only been using the software since January, so I try to spend a little time weekly learning a new aspect of the program. The one thing I wish it would do that amicus did, was in events, I could schedule events that would be added in once another even was completed. In abacus I can set dates out in advance, but they are not contingent on when something was completed. Hope that is something they are looking at for future upgrades. That is probably the only thing I miss from amicus.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied June 2017

Kayle, We are tremendously glad to hear that the transition has been a good one! To take a deeper dive into the features of AbacusLaw, we recommend joining our weekly half hour "Free Training Friday" webinars. You are also more than welcome to contact our support team at any time who will be more than happy to impart some tips so you can fully take advantage of our software. Watch past webinars and register for future ones here: https://www.abacusnext.com/webinars Best, AbacusNext

JAMES from JAMES A. FARR, ATTORNEY

December 2015

ABACUS PRIVATE CLOUD - A GREAT COMPUTING PLATFORM FOR LAWYERS!!

For the last 20 months my entire law office has been run on Abacus Private Cloud. It has worked flawlessly, with great, responsive, USA-based tech support (for set up issues and as needed thereafter). APC enabled me to put my entire law office into a private cloud environment, in an industrial data center custom-built solely for this purpose, dedicated to the legal profession, and managed by top-notch professionals in the data center industry; this is something I could never have achieved on my own, or through another vendor. The benefits to my law practice from Abacus Private Cloud are: - - My data is secure and safe in the Abacus Private Cloud data center. No more local data backups, because all data is on the private cloud server, and is backed up there. - - My local equipment costs are drastically lower than before I switched to a private cloud. I eliminated the three desktop computers that I was previously accessing remotely. - - I don't need costly application software on each local access device. All law office applications can be run on the private cloud server, not on local hardware. The local devices are there simply to display and interact with the private cloud server. - - My private cloud server can run any software, whether related to Abacus or not. Therefore, I can run the application software that my meets the specific needs of my law practice, regardless of the vendor. - - My local IT and tech support costs are $0. - - My staff and I have become totally mobile, without sacrificing efficiency. This means that each employee, as needed, can work on their own schedule, and from any location with cell phone coverage, electricity, and an Internet connection. This creates a flexible, modern, and dynamic work environment, resulting in a better quality of life, happier attorneys and staff, and a better work vs. life balance for all involved. - - All law office applications and data are accessible 247 for each user via any device: desktop computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone. - - Private cloud technical requests (e.g., email configuration, remote access from a new device, etc.) are promptly resolved by the Abacus Private Cloud support staff. - - System reliability (uptime) is outstanding. In sum, this is a truly great product, at a reasonable price, with great customer support. I highly recommend you get it!! Thanks.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied December 2015

Mr Farr: Thank you for being a valued Abacus client. We're glad that you have fully automated your practice Abacus Private Cloud, and enjoy your virtual workplace environment. We are committed to providing our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you much success! Best, The Abacus Total Care Team

Julie from Kriger Law firm

Industry: Law Practice

Would like more training (i.e. a weekly "how to" e-mail that is short and sweet with something abacus offers curtailed to how company uses the product would be nice.

The out of the ordinary task I was assigned frustrated me for several hours before I reached out for assistance. But when I did reach out, the assistance was there. It was something I could do, I just needed guidance. The executive from Abacus not only guided me through the process, but he explained what I was doing as we worked through to completion of the task and how it worked so I could easily do on my own the next time. Today, I had to go back in and add another search element and was able to do so without the frustration as before. I understood how it worked, and to clone what was already working so I didn't lose what had been done but improved upon it. Thank you very much for the help AND suggestion to clone before editing!

Pros

It combines calendar (both legal and non-legal), accounting and legal / case management into one area. Legal forms are updated regularly. Notes can be made addressing each case progress and conflict of interest checks are easily manageable. Automatic population is convenient when working on new matters under regular clients. The help line has always been quick, easy and convenient. Every person I have ever spoken with has been of great assistance, without hesitation. Thank you.

Cons

It is difficult (for me) to figure out the help through the on line directions to complete an out of the ordinary task.

Michael from Lawyer

AbacusLaw is Essential for Saving Time and Money

Our experience with AbacusLaw has been very beneficial in keeping matters organized and running smoothly. And also, knowing that if any issue should arise, it will be promptly seen to by their very capable IT team, which may be what makes AbacusLaw essential. Their team is always courteous and ready to serve you in a timely manner. As far as the software itself, there is rarely a problem.

Pros

Organization is key, so being able to link matters with the calendar and pull up events with so little effort makes my job much easier. I cannot imagine running a law firm without this program. It makes all the difference when you are in the business of billing clients based on time spent on their particular matter. The full scope of events, dates, time and time spent are at the ready, saving a tremendous amount of time. AbacusLaw is incredibly functional. This software has it all, and I feel that our small firm isn't implementing the software to it's fullest capabilities. This is apparent as there are helpful suggestions each morning when I login and go to my calendar.

Cons

There is little to not like about the software. I suppose if it were free and could read my mind, but...

Michael from Schwartzberg & Luther, APC

Been with them for almost 10 years and each version gets better and better

Most important... CONSOLIDATION! Abacus Law integrated the case management, "tickler" by rule, forms, contacts, matter, ACCOUNTING AND BILLING, all into a single easy to use and learn package. Changes in one area and iterated throughout the software. We almost never and disparate or duplicate data. Well Done!

Pros

Ease of use, consistency in operation, great support. In nearly our entire use, different versions and our transition to the "cloud" last year, our up-time has been nearly 99%. I was worried about transitioning to APC (cloud), but the support and transition and setup was painless and well executed. Our employees barely noticed the difference, but for, the Remote Desktop link... Very well done!

Cons

There are a few very minor custom things, but overall, nothing worth mentioning. As I said, I have been a happy customer for about 10 years, seen the growing pains, and various upgraded and improvements, each being better than the previous. We've been quite pleased.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied June 2017

We appreciate your enthusiasm and thank you for your feedback! It has been a pleasure to serve you over the past decade.

Sharenda from Edwards & Hunter

Abacus - a comprehensive program

Overall Abacus has saved me a tremendous amount of time. Prior to its use, we were using three programs to do the work of Abacus, which meant entering basic information in three different programs and inputting data from one program into another to run reports, do billing, etc. Abacus has saved us a great deal of time.

Pros

I like the fact that Abacus Law and Abacus Accounting work so well together. Everything integrates nicely which saves me a lot of time. I also like the fact that tech support is local (in San Diego), speaks English, and is (almost) always available.

Cons

Our software developed a "glitch" quite some time ago and neither tech support, nor the engineering staff, were able to resolve it. It's still there, and it keeps throwing me error messages, but the program works in spite of it. Our main complaint is that we would like to upgrade to the new version of Abacus, but it does not work offline, so we've had to stay with the older version. (Internet in our area of town goes down frequently, and our practice is very Abacus-dependent.)

Angela from Boyer & Boyer

Abacus makes accounting easy.

Pros

Abacus has everything we need for our daily functions and makes basic accounting easy. We can access our client's many different ways (i.e.: name, matter, ID). I love the way the top bar is set up. The icons are used daily. I can print out reports for the partner within seconds. Easy transfer of funds from one client to another.

Cons

Sometimes when updates are made, there are problems with the monthly billing and client payments. After inputting the time tickets, sometimes the program freezes up and we need to shut down the system a couple of times and even need to call customer services for help. Also, when printing the invoices, even though I put them in alpha order, when they print out, they print out numerically or even one time recently just printed out (255 bills) in no methodical way. The same thing happens when inputting client payments. Instead of allowing me to input what I want to input, if I mark an invoice or invoices.

Alisha from Ankers Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

We feel very supported with Abacus and enjoy glitch free work days 99% of the time.

It saves time and makes the coordination of tasks among staff more efficient. The database organization is simple to use and explore.

Pros

It is easy to learn and the customer service/software support people are very knowledgeable if something doesn't make sense. The software is very intuitive and saves lots of time. Saving time means getting more work done in a day. It is reasonably priced for the initial investment, and the support is a considerable value when softwares other than Abacus update and functionality changes. We moved our office 2 years ago, and taking Abacus along and getting us set up in our new location was EASY! Adding and replacing equipment has been seamless, like new PCs, phones, and/or laptops. The Abacus team is amazing!

Cons

Sometimes the updates come at the most inopportune times. It would be better if we could chose when to update things more in coordination with IT personnel for major updates.

Ugh. I use it because I don't feel I have a better option...

The cost vs other comparable software is the primary reason why this software was chosen. Additionally (just as important to us) is that the data is stored on our network and not the cloud.

Pros

The legal billing and trust accounting functions are great. However, the rest of the accounting functionality really stinks. I like how for billing, you can schedule a bill to e-mail or print and it automatically does it (e/m or print) when you finalize the bills.

Cons

I'm used to QuickBooks. I hate that I can't drill down to detail from reports. I hate that I can't type a vendor's name when I tab to the field when entering A/P (you have to open the search window and search for the vendor...there's no way to fully navigate through data entry without taking your hands off the keyboard). Data between the "Law" program and the "Accounting" program becomes "out of sync" frequently. There's a script to run to attempt to fix it, but it takes hours to run.

Sarah from Diane Anderson, Attorney at Law

Help received

To whom it may concern, I just had to take a moment to send an email to thank Dean for his invaluable, over and beyond customer service, he is a true asset to your company, and I hope that Abacus customer service management knows what a devoted, knowledgeable employee you have. I attended Dean's webinar on Mail Merge in Abacus on Wednesday on 12/16/2015, which was great, and a real informative webinar, that was well planned, easy to follow, and full of useful information. However, I am writing this email to acknowledge what Dean did for me afterwards. After the webinar, I had emailed Dean asking if he could help me create a query to generate a client list, (past, and current), that have an email address, with their phone number's and if he could help me make a excel spreadsheet with this information, which was not something my employer had paid for, but we desperately needed. She had been asking me to generate this list for the past two weeks, and despite my endless attempts, I could not figure out how to generate a query that would do this correctly. Within minutes Dean had generated a query, showed me how to use it, how to modify it, and how Abacus could assist our office in the future to generate letters, emails and help turn potential leads into paying clients. I was amazed, and so completely grateful, I joked with him that he single handily may have saved my job! I had to take this time to send this email because it is not often that I come across someone that is so good at their job, not to mention completely dedicated, with such excellent customer service skills. I will be recommending to the attorney I work for that we attend more webinars, and utilize Abacus and all its features for her practice, and as a tool to run a smooth, successful law firm. Again, thank you Dean, I cannot express my gratitude to you for going over and beyond to help me help my employer!!! Have a great holiday, and a Happy New Year!

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with details about your experience with Abacus. Our team is committed to providing the highest levels of customer service to our clients, and we are happy to hear that that was the service you received. Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you much success!

Caroline from Law Office of Caroline S. Earle, PLC

Industry: Law Practice

Abacus Law has grown with my business!

Exceptional. The software is useful, practical and designed specifically for attorneys. The customer service is unparalleled across the board. Fast, efficient, professional, knowledgeable. Always there, always helpful and always cheerful (no matter how many times I call!).

Pros

I love the format and the ease with which I can create new matters, organize my contacts and bill my matters. I started with AbacusLaw as a solo practitioner and have grown my firm to include two other attorneys and an admin. The attorneys are all networked in the cloud now, and Abacus was able to grow with me and provide additional support solutions for our small firm. The Abacus Accounting has given me great billing capacity and kept my accounts in order.

Cons

I have not found the forms functionality very accessible. I was an experienced attorney when I signed on with AbacusLaw, so this is not something that I particularly need.

July 2015

Bill from Robinson Legal

July 2015

Eight years and going strong

With 250,000 users they must be doing something right! I suspect that those of us without issues don't bother to comment. It makes sense that if you have had a problem then you squawk about it. I know I do! Our firm has been using this product for over eight years. In recommending it to another firm I came across these reviews. I could not disagree more. Like any system it takes some training. We hired an outside instructor to come in for two days to train. Once we got the basics down we grew with it. The nice feature it comes with is that every time you log in, it gives you tips for the day that expand your knowledge or remind you of something you may have fogotten. The features that I appreciate most are linking your emails from Outlook to the matters file. That is an enormous time saver. The notes file is likewise extremely useful in refreshing your memory on things that have transpired. Both come with a preview of the content similar to your email. It makes life easy and certain with the current forms embedded for civil matters and court forms. The home screen might not be as pretty as some but it is very simple to understand and use. Documents get scanned and saved to the matters file with ease. Overall there is nothing about our personal I jury cases I can't put my hands on quickly. And remotely when I am out of the office. Some have complained about customer service. I guess that is a universal complaint we all have with almost software company. But honestly, when our IT guy gets on the phone with them and they speak the same language, we have never had a problem. I could not run our firm without Abacus.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied December 2015

Hi Mr. Robinson, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and thank you for being one of our valued clients. With over 30 years of service, weve learned from our most successful clients that it takes much more than a simple software product to build and grow a successful Law Firm. We value your insight, and are committed to providing all of our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Best, The Abacus Team

Timothy from Marble Law Office, P.C.

Abacus Law with APC lets me work anywhere with complete control of my office and my cases.

Pros

With APC I can work from home in the morning, go to the office and log in again right where I left off without having to maintain expensive servers. Tech support has been very responsive and always available whenever we have a problem, which is not very often. The features of Abacus Law are completely customizable to suit the needs of my practice. There are lots of great tutorials and other online resources to help us get the most from Abacus Law.

Cons

We had used Amicus Attorney for many years but wanted a full featured program that integrated case management with accounting. The transition to Abacus Law was not as easy as I had hoped and took a considerable amount of time. However, the transition team was great to work with and stayed with the project until they were able to successfully convert my data. Also, compared to Amicus, the user interface with Abacus Law is not as intuitive and has a bit of a learning curve. However, overall it is a more robust and feature rich product.

Valerie from Kuhs & Parker

AbacusLaw Review

We have used AbacusLaw for at least the 18 years I have been employed and are very satisfied with the product. Helps to keep our office on top of calendaring events for our litigation cases, i.e., meetings, discovery deadlines, depositions and trials.

Pros

I work for a small firm, so we only using the calendaring system. I do like the ease of going into the calendar and just clicking on a particular day to enter my calendar event. I especially like the software for preparing trial calendars.

Cons

When I print my weekly calendar and there is a holiday that week, I have to remove "holiday" in order to print the full information for the holiday event (i.e., Court and Office Closed), otherwise it cuts it off. Once I print the calendar I have to go back in to add the holiday back, so it will continue to show up for the following year. Not a major problem, just a little inconvenient.

Judith from Daly Family Law Firm

Industry: Law Practice

I have used Abacus for over 10 years, and have found it to be extremely intuitive to use.

I am a very effective in my billing using this software.

Pros

When using Abacus to manage cases, the process is as simple as doing the client work, then billing the time, and finally creating an event to either follow up on what was done, to perform an additional task, or to appear in court on a specific date. I can then move from client to client, not have to remember anything because I will always know the exact status of each client's matter. And if a client calls, I don't have to pull a file to update them on the status of their matter.

Cons

With the most recent version we have had an unusual number of things that are not working the same way they worked prior to the update. While the support staff seems capable, they are on the West Coast and I am on the East Coast, so I end up staying at the end of the day to resolve issues.

Yolanda from Arce Law Office PLLC

Disappointing

Forced upgrade after ten years with Amicus Small Firm and Now have glitches tech support can't resolve. Am considering legal action for breach of contract. So dissatisfied. Loved my Amicus Small Firm but the upgrade has compromised our work. Worse part is the boilerplate response to unsolved problems.

Pros

Repeating events feature.

Cons

Too many to state all. The worst are lack of knowledgeable technicians and when the issue is referred to upper techs calls are at odd hours and you call back to a voicemail. There are glitches with the time stamp, printing reports, adding on going notes etc.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied April 2017

Hi Yolanda, Providing our clients with best-in-class software and support is vitally important for us, and we're thankful you took the time to write this review. Our team will be reaching out to you shortly to better understand and address the issues you are facing.

Rachel from Cleere Law Offices, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

5 Stars on Customization!!

Pros

I appreciate that this software is completely customize-able. Abacus is intuitive software with unlimited capabilities in how it can be used across varying formats. There are so many features that after 3 years of using it, we are still excited when we come across something else that Abacus can do for our firm.

Cons

Our office has talked extensively about wanting the option for an expert to come to us and work with us to set up Abacus better using the features it is capable of. We know that we are only touching on what it can do and with our limited time/expertise, do not have the ability to customize it to it's fullest. Because of this, we still are running a parallel software until we can figure out how to make Abacus do what we want it to do.

Confused

I do like the fact that I can set up Events in the system that will roll over each day until I mark them done.

Pros

I like the ability to provide our cases with good notes so that other users can see what has been done so far with a case and what needs to still be done.

Cons

I really don't care for the fact that every day, either Abacus Law or Abacus accounting will just lock up and I have to re-start my computer to get it to load. also, I will run a report and I get all this data that isn't even associated with the file I want to run the report on. Then I close the report and re-run a second time, and then the report populates with the actual accurate data. so to make sure I have accurate data, I run every report twice to make sure I have the correct data.

Constance from Law Office of Constance G. Starks

July 2016

Very pleased with this product.

Pros

Abacus offers a comprehensive system including case management, financial accounting and cloud storage. I think you can choose either one of the components or all of them. I prefer having case management and financial accounting all in the same program and a cloud environment is a must for me. So I have all three with Abacus.

Cons

The component that is missing at this time is a client private portal. Would be great to post client records there as opposed to having to mail everything to them. The cloud based component also intermittently goes offline depending upon the quality of one's internet connection. And, the cloud interface with Outlook and Word has a few minor glitches wherein Outlook does not always respond quickly when adding attachments to e-mails. The quick fix is to end the task one is working on through task master and start over. Lastly, the forms base is relatively small. That is probably due to my inexperience with macro forms development. In any case, I have not yet used their forms much.

Steven from Graham & Graham, PC

Industry: Law Practice

My/our experience with AbacusLaw has been very positive since we acquired it 7 years ago.

Greatest benefit is the capacity to integrate document management and financial management and billing.

Pros

We are a small office so the use of AbacusLaw makes our document management (storage & access), time management and accounting particularly important. The integration of all of these function makes it possible for my partner and me to manage an active real estate practice and divorce mediation practice with support staff. Additionally, on the few occasions we have has some sort of a glitch the support team has been quick to address it.

Cons

I have very little to offer on the negative side. From time to time when an upgrade is done there are minor disruptions in the flow of work as I adjust to changes to processing of the work flow.

Great legal software

It's been very good for our firm, as it really has great calendaring and reminder features. The user interface is very easy to understand and assists all of us with keeping the pleadings, documents and correspondence well-organized. I had one issue and the tech support assisted me immediately and then followed up to make sure my issue had been resolved.

Pros

I really enjoy how easy this software is to use by everyone in the office, attorneys. paralegals, and assistants. The software enables our office to keep our clients' files very organized and easily accessible. The calendaring is essential to our litigation practice as everything is streamlined and managed in a very logical manner. I am an attorney and the technology is geared for all of the legal professions and types of practices.

Cons

It has so many great features that i have not been able to utilize it to its full capacity as of yet.

Abacus Review

I like most of the features and options, but have concerns about time issues. It really concerns me that employees could potentially "create billing time" when there is no client work being prepared.

Pros

The ability to locate a client and find all the information needed in one place and the ability to use the portal with ease.

Cons

Three things: 1.I don't like that employees can just input time. We want the timer used but this allows them just to input time. 2. Billing and Invoicing - We don't bill our clients for phone conversations, but for our records we need to keep track of time. If we don't bill them, but have time entered for it, the invoice is gapped and looks unprofessional. 3. The calendar not allowing recurrences to sync with Outlook. We have had several issues with this and it is a concern when scheduling if employees are out of the office and are not able to sync.

RIta from Law Office of Rita Holder

Great customer service

AbacusLaw is very customer service oriented. If you call them, a tech actually answers who is capable of solving your problem and does solve it.

Pros

I recently needed to update some software from a third party vendor-TurboTax. The customer service reps at Abacus Private Cloud were able to get this updated quickly and painlessly. Anyone installing TT updates knows that just finding the update in your account is not easy.

Cons

I would have to say that the software is solid but a little old-fashioned on the customer facing side. It is not user friendly all the time and can be a challenge to learn. The good news is that if you call a rep for help, you get helped within a short wait.

Susan from Marino Associates - Attorneys at Law

The Goods and the Bads of Abacus

Pros

On the law side of Abacus it is substantially a good system to use. The organization, ease of use, and the multiple tools allow the law side to run smooth and easy with little to no problems. Things such as client entry, event posting, and much more have become much easier over time with the multiple updates and fixes. Overall the law side software is a well created system.

Cons

The Accounting side of Abacus has many little problems within it that overall cause the functionality of abacus to become less effective. Things such as tables not communicating with each other and the software crashing due to simple tasks such as voiding checks are some of the many problems that occurs. Without fixing these issues, the overall effectiveness and efficiency of abacus accounting will only continue to diminish.

Tonya from Jackson & Wilson LLC

Overall this program can do anything you need. It actually does more than we utilize daily.

Pros

The software has many functions for streamlining your office. Take advantage of the training and free seminars to continue to learn about your product. Once you get tech support on the phone they work fast to resolve your issues and get you back on track. There is a Customer Portal where you can input support tickets. Easy access to all matters pertaining to a case i.e. pleadings, emails, invoices, contact information.

Cons

If you choose the cloud version instead of direct install any technical issue, error, etc. must go through their support team which can increase your down time. The ease of requesting a support ticket through the Customer Portal has one draw back for a busy law office- you don't know when they are going to call to fix the issue and the timing may not be the best.

Lindsey from The Moster Law Firm, P.C.

Hands down would NOT buy

I would highly recommend choosing a different case management software. The program does not feel like it was designed by attorney's, and the company clearly wants to lock users in to a long term contract because they know their product is inferior and it is the only way they can retain their customer base.

Pros

I really have not found anything I like about this software. If I had to pick something, I would say the timer function works fairly well.

Cons

This software is the worst case management software I have used. The software repeatedly freezes and it is not intuitive or user friendly. Billing, which ties into AbacusAccounting, is extremely difficult to use. Unlike in other software, you cannot just edit a pre-bill with ease. It also lacks the integration that other software has. When you take into account the long term contract of five years, the inability to terminate that contract without buying it out, and the terrible customer service, the product actually costs you more than any time you would theoretically save using it. Furthermore, you are permitted to add users but never to cancel a user, effectively meaning if your Firm face a downturn, you would still be locked in to pay for users no longer with the Firm.

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

At the time, we did not know of many other options that were available.

Response from AbacusNext

Replied November 2019

Hello Lindsey, We're sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with AbacusLaw. We want every user to see the benefits of our products and design our offerings with your interests in mind. One of the best ways to make the most of your technology and see positive ROI is to invest in product training. Your customer success manager will be reaching out to you soon to check in and escalate any issues to our Support team. All the best, The team at AbacusNext

Michelle from Long Tuminello, LLP

Industry: Law Practice

Worst Experience Ever. If I could give zero stars I would!

Do not make the mistake of believing that this product will do anything for you other than cause you countless hours of grief.

Pros

Any pros of this software are so far outweighed by the cons that they are not worthy of even mention.

Cons

This software is absolutely horrible. I had high hopes for this software after having been given rave reviews about Amicus Attorney and calling to get more information. The salesperson convinced me that after describing my firm's needs, we were better suited for Abacus, which was owned by the same company. After purchasing the software, it took more than 8 months for them to figure out how to migrate our data from our existing billing software, a process that they represented they were very familiar with during the sales calls. When we finally made the transition to this software we quickly learned that it is not at all user-friendly, they provide no guidance on how to use the software or how to set it up, large portions of data mysteriously changes by itself (today the originating attorneys on hundreds of our chases mysteriously changed to reflect the names of our support staff members). The calendaring system is supposed to be able to sync seamlessly with Outlook. This is a joke. Items randomly disappear from attorneys' calendars or appear on the wrong attorneys calendars, when entered. Some items sync from Abacus to Outlook and others don't with no rhyme or reason. Their call center is horrible. You cannot get the same person on the phone twice, and you cannot request to speak with a particular person so there is no consistency of service. Each time you call to describe a problem you are having, you have to start from the beginning because they do not keep any records of your past calls. The people who answer the phone have no idea how the software works and always tell you that they have to research your question and get back to you. Oftentimes you never receive a call back and when you do they still don't know how to assist you. I could go on and on...

David from Elliott Stern & Calabrese, LLP

Do not buy AbacusLaw Case Management Software

Abacus is a disappointment and I strongly recommend against using it. The support blames its customer and Microsoft Abacus' failures. Our program crashes constantly and the supposed case management and document management features are too complicated to use. The phone calendar and contact updates no longer work, which was a major purchase consideration when we purchased Abacus. Now the company will not support its outdated system and is using its failure to extort upgrades from its long-term customers. We started using Abacus over five years ago and experienced many headaches thought that term. Now the system constantly crashes. As an example, for the past week or so we have not been able to add new client contacts or calendar events. Imagine trying to run a law office and you cannot open a file or put an event on the calendar. Abacus support was rude and cavalier about our problems and tried to put the blame on Microsoft Windows 10 and blamed our office for deleting something on our computer -- an utter impossibility. I cannot strongly impress upon anyone considering teaming up with Abacus my disappointment and hope you will steer clear of AbacusLaw.

Cons

The company seems to have abandoned us. We purchased AbacusLaw five years ago and now the program keeps crashing and the rude support personnel blame us for using an outdated version which Abacus says it is trying to faze out an no longer support. We bought the program because it offered case management and document management capabilities, and automatically updated contacts and calendar on the phone. Over the years, we constantly needed to contact support because the calendar and contact update functionality constantly broke down. Now the software crashes all of the time. I could not enter new clients nor could I make calendar entries for the past five (5) days. I called support and they complained that Abacus no longer wants to support this version and claimed my staff must have "deleted something" -- which is an impossibility! and the support blames Microsoft updates. We are beyond frustrated with Abacus. The program is so poorly designed there is no way to utilize many of the features it claims to have. Frankly we gave up on linking documents, producing case management reports, etc. because the software is too complicated to understand. Abacus now wants to up-sell us on its new software products and the pricing could not be more noncompetitive. I sincerely discourage anyone from using Abacus Law and this is the advice from a long term user who gave Abacus an honest and fair chance.

Thomas from Ryan, LLP

Industry: Law Practice

Great Program for the 1970s law firm - Garbage if you are practicing law in present era!

Forced subscription model on an outdated program. The program had difficulty with a 4-person law firm. There were numerous issues with duplicate contacts, duplicate emails, multiple scheduling issues, and failed to easily integrate with other applications such as Outlook 2016. We also were forced onto a subscription model, costing approximately $300/month. We received zero updates during that time, despite numerous complaints to the sales team. We purchased a high-end server ($4,000) to run Abacus, thinking the hardware was the cause of the latency issues. This solved nothing. At the end of our contract, our salesperson told us that the software would continue to function, but support would be terminated. This was a lie. The software was restricted to read-only mode and we were locked out of our data. We were then given the option of paying a $275 reinstatement fee, plus increased monthly fees to get the software up and running on our own server again. This was the last straw and we migrated to a much better solution. Abacus is an outdated system that requires significant upkeep. The hardware requirements are not included in their pricing model. Their hosted solution was also garbage, as it failed to integrate with the local programs. Their software is incredible slow and simple tasks (such as printing an invoice) takes 5-10 minutes to accomplish. I would stay away from this product at all costs. One final warning, because their system is so outdated, once you start entering data, it cannot be exported to be migrated to a new system. Their poor design forces you to remain on their system or feel the pain of a weeks long migration system. Again, stay away from this outdated system at all costs.

Pros

Nothing. It is complete garbage. It is outdated and shouldn't be on the market.

Cons

Poor design, simple tasks are overly complicated, they force an over-priced subscription model, doesn't integrate with other programs, does not integrate directly with phone calendars, created duplicate entries for contacts, cannot migrate data.

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied January 2017

Capterra is a distinguished platform for users to share reviews of software products, and we respect the forum as a place for serious technical reviews made without self-interest or aggrandizement. The tone and tenor of your review indicates that you are very unhappy with our product, and while we would love to have you stay with us, we want you to make the best decision for your firm. We would be happy to help remedy your situation. At your earliest convenience, please contact us at 858-882-1794F. Cheers, Abacus

Bob from Robert Noone Legal Services

December 2015

Use it EVERYDAY in my Practice - I am SOLD!

Having been a solid Abacus user since 2007 (and used it to do a multi-state practice), I took the plunge the moment Abacus Private Cloud came on line. As one of the folks on the "maiden voyage" there were some initial rough seas --- which now (speaking from the past 18 months of cloud occupancy), have totally smoothed out. I CANNOT and will not be without this software. Anyone attempting to be a "virtual lawyer" needs this program and this platform. My office is anywhere I have wifi. My multi-state, multi-county, multi-circuit practice is possible because of this piece of technology. I can walk into a courtroom with 10 cases in a row to do, and not carry a piece of paper - everything is organized in my Abacus... if the Judge forgets what happened at the last hearing, the case notes and prior Order are there at my finger tips. Press another key, and the order or memo gets sent to everyone's tablet, computer or phone in the courtroom. It makes me look smarter - and more organized -- that I am. All this would be for nada if not for the customer service (I work late, and weekends... and they answer calls at that time). Also, having forms tailor-made for my niche practice is a professional service they offer, much cheaper than I can train staff to do it. I have so much more I can be doing with Abacus that i don't do (trust accounting, calendar causing forms to generate at proper times, mass mail merges, etc), but I'll get to it in time. BOB

Response from Abacus Data Systems

Replied December 2015

Mr. Noone, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, and for being a valued Abacus client. We have recently optimized AbacusLaw for use within Abacus Private Cloud, so we are happy to hear that you have been successful in automating your practice with our fully managed solutions. It is our goal to help businesses take the next step in their journey to the Cloud, and glad you are one of them! Thank you for the opportunity to serve you, we wish you great success!

August 2016

Sara from SD Collection Firm

August 2016

Not bad, but I'm on the lookout for something better

I've used Abacus for over a decade. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the Law software and think it does a pretty good job, though it has many error messages and weird windows that open that you have to click through. It overall works okay. Accounting, however, really sucks. Accounting allows for certain functions (like batch invoicing) that just don't work very well. The customer support is local but they can have a bit of an attitude or will sometimes tell me that the software isn't perfect and I shouldn't expect too much.

Pros

Fairly user friendly and customizable.

Cons

Recent updates have changed features for the worse. The company is pushing their cloud based software now that they just got venture capital funding and they seem to be slowing breaking down their desktop version.

Wendy from Schatt & Hesser, P.A.

Rep solved it

I called the accounting specialist department today in desperation. My GL was out of balance with my bank account and although I knew the cause, I wasnt able to fix it. I called the technical department yesterday but they werent able to help me. Rep patiently listened and then we checked things together. When all checked out she had the tables reset and that did it . I really appreciate her help, her courtesy, her knowledge and her patience. She deserves the Gold Nugget.

Pros

Ease of use, prevents errors in accounting, ability for cross-referencing.

Cons

Technical help is not open minded and listening. They think updates in the software are the answer to most questions. Updates often create more issues and are time consuming.

Sharenda from Edwards & Hunter

Industry: Law Practice

Overall, quite good. The software is a big finicky, but customer/tech support is awesome!

Streamlined efficiency and time savings (we WERE using Time Matters for case database, Timeslips for time and billing, and Quickbooks for accounting, so every matter had to be set up three times).

Pros

The software is pretty intuitive/user-friendly, and customer/tech support is extremely good at fixing the issues that arise.

Cons

A lot of "issues" arise (problems between Outlook and Abacus, Abacus shutting down improperly and requiring me to go to the server to close out open Abacus files and restart Abacus on a more-than-weekly basis, strange messages that even tech support can't figure out regarding printing within Abacus accounting, etc.)

Henriette from Puff & Cockerill LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Abacus Law is great and I recommend it highly. The Accounting portion needs improvement.

Pros

It's a full case management program that encompasses everything we need it to do to run our office smoothly. It links all of our documents, schedules all of our appointments, keeps track of reminders, etc. etc. and it's easy to use. We have 27 users and when Abacus is down, we are lost.

Cons

The Accounting portion of Abacus has it's issues. With each new update, changes are made in an attempt to improve it, but there always seems to be some tweaking needed. The Abacus support team, however, has improved tremendously, and they are always ready and available to help make those tweaks.