Browse Alt Legal Reviews

Tara from Neon Esquire, LLC

A Necessity for All Small/Solo IP Professionals

Far and away my favorite thing about Alt Legal is the customer service. As a true solo, when I can't figure something out on my own, I can lose a huge amount of my day poking around the internet for how to's and fixes. Other software programs I've used had customer service that was slow to respond. This loss of time leads to a loss in productivity which translates into a loss of billable hours. Alt Legal has always responded to my questions incredibly quick and has always provided fixes or training that goes above and beyond any other software provider I've worked with. Whenever a small/solo saves time, they make money and working with Alt Legal has been very beneficial to my bottom line.

Pros

As a true solo, Alt Legal saves me time which makes me money. Instead of having to enter all my client's trademark information into a spreadsheet or some other document, Alt Legal auto-populates any client mark information from the USPTO into my docket. Every day I get an email update that alerts me to any changes or upcoming deadlines related to my client's marks. Normally, I would either have to spend the time looking this information up on my own or hire an admin to assist with tracking my docket and deadlines. Alt Legal eliminates the need for me to do the work which saves me time and as a solo when I save time, I make money. It also does away with the need to hire someone to do the docketing for me. I really love the integration with Clio as well. Alt Legal auto-populates important USPTO deadlines onto my Clio calendar. This eliminates any issues with data entry due to human error and it allows me to stay on top of things with a minimum amount of effort on my part. It's truly a time saver which translates into a money maker.

Cons

I would like to be able to track competing marks. i.e. When a client may have an opposition to another mark, the ability to track that other mark as it moves through the application process would be helpful.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied February 2019

Thanks so much for the kind words and feedback, Tara! I'll reach out separately on how you can track competing marks to know when to oppose them or otherwise!

Matthew from Smith Tempel Blaha LLC

AltLegal is the Pukka Sahib of Legal Docketing Software

AltLegal is a great company with a great product. They are constantly working on improving the usability of their docketing solution and they clearly have an understanding of what's important to practitioners. They want to make you more efficient in your practice. And, their customer service, which is always accessible right there in the software through an ever present chat button, is very knowledgeable of the system and generally just really nice people. The AltLegal team is a pleasure to interact with.

Pros

From its beginning, AltLegal was designed with trademark prosecution practice in mind. Although the AltLegal software accommodates copyright and patent docketing, its core competency is clearly in docket management for a trademark heavy practice. The software "auto-dockets" trademark matters based on triggers taken from the USPTO's databases. So, when the practitioner makes a filing, such as an office action response, there's no need to update the docket since AltLegal will pick that up at the USPTO and update the practitioner's docket automatically. It is incredibly seamless and fool proof. AltLegal takes a lot of the docketing burden off the practitioner and legal staff so that everybody can focus on spending time on those tasks that are billable. Also, because AltLegal is cloud based and its GUI is intuitive, it's easy for anybody on the team to peek into the docket and find out the status on any matter -- it takes no serious training to learn to navigate the docket so anybody, even a LAWYER, can do it! I highly recommend AltLegal. Oh, and the migration of data into the AltLegal software was virtually painless: we exported into an excel spreadsheet and then imported into AltLegal and it was correct (AltLegal will hold your hand through the process).

Cons

Docketing on the patent side of the AltLegal software is not as seamless an experience as it is on the trademark side. This is partly due to the fact that the USPTO's databases on the patent side (PAIR) are not amenable to be "scraped" like the the trademark databases (TSDR). And so, there's no "auto-docketing" for patents. BUT, AltLegal has done a good job of creating standard, common entries for patent docketing that make it fairly easy for a user to update the docket accordingly. There is room for improvement, however, in the options AltLegal might offer its users for patent docketing since not all patent practitioners necessarily manage cases the same way. For our firm, we leverage RCEs quite a bit, but the AltLegal default is that you'll appeal a case. We "work around" this by making custom entries in the docket to alert our team at certain milestones that are important for how we want to manage a given case.

Reasons for Switching to Alt Legal

We wanted a more user friendly software solution and we wanted a solution that would auto-docket as much as possible in order to mitigate data entry error and inconsistencies. We also wanted a web-based solution that was easily accessible and usable by anybody on our team. With our former software, it was impractical for remote users to access it or "run reports" and the customer service was a non-entity and it was really expensive and it required that we host the software.

Gianna from Cameron & Mittleman LLP

Overall Helpful but Hard to Manage

Pros

I like that this software is helpful for working

Cons

This software is hard to manage for me sometimes

Rob from Mei & Mark LLP

Industry: Law Practice

AltLegal is a game-changer for IP attorneys (especially for trademarks)-Automates docketing reliably

Alt Legal solves 98% of my docketing needs flawlessly. Their customer service is second-to-none!

Pros

I like that the software essentially replaces a full-scale docketing department for trademark management. It automates everything, pulls live from the USPTO (for status changes and up-to-date data) without additional fees, and sends reminders when you need them most. Rep and team have built a tremendously-valuable product here that is perfect for solo/small practices and large firms alike. Alt Legal's user interface is incredibly smooth and allows for easy operation. In addition to docketing, Alt Legal automates template and form letters, USPTO filings, and other elements of a robust trademark practice. I truly wouldn't be able to practice without it (or a full-scale docketing department). Bravo! A+++

Cons

It's close to perfect for my 98% of my purposes. Litigation and foreign deadlines need to be manually entered to some degree but will change when updated (smart updating). Automating these would be difficult but nice.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied August 2018

Thanks so much for Rob!

Pankaj from Carbon Law Group

Industry: Law Practice

Fantastic product support by great people.

Streamlined my trademark practice and provided great insights on how to build a great product for my clients.

Pros

AltLegal has been an integral part of my trademark practice for over four years now. From their first iteration of the platform to the expanded offerings they provide today, AltLegal's combined ease of use and excellent customer service make it one of the best legal tech firms I've used.

Cons

There isn't really much bad to say about the product. I like what they've done and they are smart about features. Any time there is an issue, they are super fast to get on it and address it.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied June 2018

Thanks for the kind review, Pankaj! We're looking forward to continuing to work together!

Abraham from Lichy Law

Industry: Law Practice

User Friendly and Customer Service Second to None!

Aside from the platform itself, which is part of my core software suite to run my firm, the customer services is excellent. Everyone there is super friendly and knowledgeable and genuinely care about getting answers to questions or info back both quickly and accurately. To me, having humans I can call or email when I have questions and actually have a conversation with them is priceless.

Pros

Ease of use. It's not overly complicated and when you're dealing with over a thousand active trademark files at any given time, having an easy to navigate system that gives you deadline reminds daily can be a time and life saver.

Cons

There are occasional bugs with the search function but I only mention this bc you're asking for a con. it's really not a significant issue for me at all.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied February 2019

Thanks for the kind note, Abe!

Adriano from Tobler Law Firm, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

AltLegal has transformed my practice.

Pros

AltLegal's docketing software and daily emails are an essential tool to any Trademark practice. On top of the ease of use, the marketing data has allowed my small firm to compete in today's fast-paced trademark landscape, assisting unrepresented parties at the Trademark Office. This is an incredible overall product and the team behind AltLegal is second to none.

Cons

Nothing to report here. All features are top of the class. But to fill out the word minimum, a bit more robust TTAB docketing section could be beneficial.

Andy from Northwest Corporate Law LLC

Great IP software!

The biggest problem this software solved for us was the need for a reliable trademark docketing system. We previously were just using the free MyUSPTO system, which was ok, but occasionally unreliable and buggy. As our trademark filing practice scaled, we had to have in place a docketing system that worked reliably and efficiently, like software should work. I'm a big fan of Alt Legal and recommend it to my IP lawyer colleagues!

Pros

It reliably tracks all trademark filings with the USPTO and makes docketing a breeze. No more sleepless nights about missing a filing deadline or wondering if my docketing system is working. The daily email updates on all trademark filing events also are great. It's just more peace of mind that I'm not missing any important deadlines on behalf of a client.

Cons

Nothing so far. We've been using it for about 6 months so far without a hitch.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied February 2019

Thanks, Andy! It's been great working together.

Geoffrey from Robinson, Bradshaw and Hinson

Moved to Alt Legal a year ago

Experience with Alt Legal has been great. The service has been up every time we need it.

Pros

Easy to use cloud based application. Alt Legal is less expensive than competitors which was very helpful in getting it approved for purchase.

Cons

Not much to dislike. Much better than our previous product and less cost. Only thing would be to reduce even more but I understand if this is tough to achieve these days.

Reasons for Switching to Alt Legal

Cost, older product was unreliable

Response from Alt Legal

Replied September 2020

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm glad to hear your experience with Alt Legal has been great!

Bill from Scarinci Hollenbeck, Attorneys at Law

Industry: Law Practice

Seamless notification and reporting of all relevant IP information.

Pros

The way that the software packages data and information and seamlessly updates us is amazing and saves us time and effort.

Cons

Looking forward to greater integration with patent information. Until then we need to enter that information ourselves--it could be worse and they are constantly improving the platform.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied June 2018

Thanks for the kind words, Bill!

Samuel from wilkmazz

Industry: Law Practice

Great software. So good, I literally don't know how I managed marks before using it.

Pros

Ease of use, how intuitive it is, the updates I receive via email, quick searching and accessing the USPTO.

Cons

I would LOVE if the software automatically emailed saved scripts to clients based on USPTO actions without having to trigger them myself.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied June 2018

Thanks for the kind review, Sam! We'll let our engineers know about the saved scripts :)

Sharon from Toerek Law

Industry: Law Practice

AltLegal is a game changer for IP lawyers! Powerful, easy to use, and value-adding for our Clients.

Integration into our practice management software. Timely reporting of action and events on all of our filings.

Pros

The ease of use and the terrific customer service from the AltLegal Team. Any time we have had a question, we've received same day assistance. And the Team (even the company Founder!) goes above and beyond to help us integrate the product into our other software solutions. They are clearly focused on helping IP lawyers use the software to not only streamline workflow, but add profit to our Firm's bottom line. The product is highly user friendly, and the communication and reporting very helpful to our team.

Cons

We'd like to see one feature added - a hot link to the specific event, action, or proceeding filed at the PTO or TTAB when we get a notification of it.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied May 2018

Thanks for the kind words, Sharon! It's been great working with you!

Marcy from Sperry IP Law

Cutting-edge IP docketing software with real-time updates from the USPTO

Alt Legal allows my firm to stay on top of all our IP deadlines both in the U.S. and internationally and provides a well-organized daily docket report so that we never miss a deadline. In addition, the software is very user-friendly and intuitive. I cannot speak highly of this software and the customer support team.

Pros

Alt Legal is the most intuitive IP software I have used in my decade of IP experience at both big and small firms. The Alt Legal team is extremely responsive to any questions and beyond professional. And the reporting functions are exceptional for sharing portfolio status reports with clients.

Cons

I would like to see links to foreign trademark office websites and documents. However, I understand from the founder who takes an incredibly hands-on approach with his clients, that this may not be too far off in the future. Stay tuned.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied May 2018

Thanks so much for the kind words, Marcy!

Stacey from Kalamaras Law Office, LLC

Easy to use! Saves time and money!

Super happy I found AltLegal. Saves me a lot of time and I don't have lose sleep worrying about my docket! Thank you, AltLegal for a great platform! Keep up the good work.

Pros

AltLegal is a powerful docketing tool for trademark practitioners, especially solo and small firm practitioners. With real time updates from the USPTO, docketing for domestic cases is a breeze. You can also add custom dates and monitor competitors, watch applications, and see when clients and prospective clients are filing new applications. AltLegal has responsive, friendly customer service willing to assist in any way possible.

Cons

My only con is I wish that the next task were automatically entered, but since the information is automatically pulled from the USPTO, as soon as that information is posted, I manually enter in this information myself to ensure there is always a next task. Foreign marks and TTAB proceedings can also be entered manually, but as the platform improves more automation is that regard will help save time too. I have no doubt those upgrades are on the horizon.

Heather from Antoine Law Group, APC

A really fantastic platform!

Pros

The product is really easy to use and they have wonderful customer service! It handles all of my domestic and international docketing.

Cons

I really can't think of anything at the moment. .

Response from Alt Legal

Replied June 2018

Thanks, Heather! It's been great working together.

Sonia from Lakhany Law PC

The best money I spend monthly as a TM attorney

Pros

It's so easy to use, intuitive, and convenient. It helps me keep track of deadlines and avoid missing a filing.

Cons

I can't think of anything at all. If I've ever wanted a feature, they implement it. The customer service is amazing.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied June 2018

Thanks, Sonia! It's been great working together :)

Trevor from Trevor A. Caudle, Esq. dba Trevor Caudle Law Practice

Industry: Law Practice

Excellent Trademark Docketing Software for Small Firm!

Alt legal has completely streamlined my docketing process for Trademark prosecutions. It is almost 100% passive. All I need to do is communicate with clients, and no need to obsessively watch calendar deadlines.

Pros

I love how the importation of new matters is automatic...no need for me to input any data at all!

Cons

Honestly....nothing. It is great. The email notifications are timely and concise.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied November 2018

Thanks for the kind note, Trevor! We're thrilled to be working together.

Essential for Intellectual Property Management

Pros

I switched to AltLegal after using another online IP management program. AltLegal is much more automated, seamless, and user-friendly. Customer support is second to none, and the weekly updates of what's going on in IP court cases is a nice bonus.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied August 2018

Thanks so much for the kind words!

Stephanie from Pottick Law PC

Great way to keep track of IP.

Pros

The AltLegal team is very helpful and responsive. The software makes it easier to stay on top of IP.

Cons

Whenever there has been an issue with the software, the team at AltLegal has been super responsive and helpful.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied August 2018

Thanks so much, Stephanie!

Larry from Mehaffy Weber, PC.

ALT Legal is an AWESOME IP Management Program

This docketing program simplifies my life...REALLY !!!

Pros

Excellent tool for docketing reminders for IP and Trademark assignments.

Cons

No complaints...Very Streamline and efficient !!!

Eve from Bricolage Law, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Essential to my small IP practice

I hung out my own shingle in January 2016 and spent months researching legal tech to make sure that I adopted the right tools for my new practice. One of my priorities was IP docketing software to keep track of ongoing tm, copyright, and patent deadlines. Alt Legal has been such a vital asset. Customer service is also amazing - the owner himself answers chat requests. I was temporarily concerned because there was no TTAB docketing, and he has already fixed that. Now I have everything I need, for a price that even a startup firm can afford. It even sends summary reminder emails of all deadlines coming up in the next 45 days. Can't recommend this highly enough.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied November 2016

Thank you so much for the very kind review, Eve! Hope all is well!

Saves ne hours every month in keeping track of all of my trademark filings.

Pros

Automates many tasks, so the time savings become significant. I can do filings in less time, and automatically keep track of all my deadlines.

Cons

There aren't any! Before using this software, I had created my own spread sheet to track my filing deadlines manually. The savings in time alone are significant and worth the monthly software licesning fee.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied August 2018

Thanks so much for the kind review!

Nicole from Sotto Legal

Industry: Law Practice

Excellent Docketing Software and Intake for any Trademark Attorney!

Pros

I researched several other IP Docketing and Alt Legal is the best! The IP docketing software is the best at keeping track of ongoing trademark deadlines. The intake forms work seamlessly with my modern law firm. It's easy and quickly sets everything I need in one place. Alt Legal Customer Service is excellent and personable. I highly recommend Alt Legal to any trademark attorney!

Cons

I have had no issues, I'm very happy with Alt Legal!

Has made being organized EASY

Pros

We use Alt Legal for the purposes of keeping track of various IP/trademark deadlines and dates. This has allowed us to seamlessly keep track and the notifications are the best part.

Cons

I have been using the software for just over three months and don't have one complaint. It does exactly what we need.

Joey from Indie Law

Industry: Law Practice

A total life-saver for a trademark law firm!

Pros

Being able to quickly review the status of trademark applications and easily access USPTO webpages really has saved my firm so much time. And it makes tracking deadlines a breeze!

Cons

The trademark forms aren't as helpful and editable as I'd like, but I hear there are updates coming soon!

Response from Alt Legal

Replied August 2018

Thanks so much, Joey!

Amy from Brannon Sowers & Cracraft PC

Industry: Law Practice

Alt Legal will completely streamline your trademark practice

Pros

I love that everything is automated. I also am very happy with the intake process as it allows me to get all the information from clients in one communication without the need to follow up numerous times.

Cons

I've been using the software for about two months now and have absolutely no complaints.

Ford from J.V. Dell PC

Alt Legal: Docketing Made Simply

Alt Legal allows attorneys and paralegals to focus on the work that matters and complete tasks timely and efficiently with wonderful monitoring from the software.

Pros

Alt Legal, is a great software option, especially for IP attorneys for docketing and managing. Makes automatic statuses and deadlines easy for attorneys and paralegals.

Cons

I don't think I've found one negative thing to say about this software. So helpful! Overall easy to manage software for new users.

Daniel from Griffith IP

Great platform, better service

Pros

They have made my practice smooth and automated, it has been a game changer for docketing and staying on top of my matters.

Cons

Not much. It's a solid tool, the interface is no frills but I don't mind.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied February 2019

Thanks, Daniel! It's been great working together.

William from Law Offices of William E. Maguire

Peace of Mind

Docketing and calendaring is easy with Alt Legal.

Pros

The daily docket reports are very helpful to my practice.

Cons

I cannot think of anything off hand that I like least about this software.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied January 2019

Thanks so much for the kind review, Will! Thrilled to be working together.

Kara from The Franchise & Business Law Group

Industry: Law Practice

Fabulous Program that does all the heavy lifting

Pros

We migrated from a competitor's program and wish we had done so earlier. The ease of use is second to none, it takes care of everything and gives us all the reminders and updates we need to stay on top of our clients' trademark filings. Customer service is also fantastic. I cannot recommend Alt Legal enough.

Cons

The cost is an issue, especially for a small firm like ours. However, after using a less expensive option, the cost is ultimately worthwhile.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied August 2018

Thanks for the kind words, Kara!

Heather from Savi Paralegals

User friendly

Pros

I recently started using this software for Trademark docketing and it is incredibly smooth and efficient! It cuts down on the monotony of entering information like a robot.

Cons

If you are past your due date on a renewal, you will need to manually enter due dates because their software doesn't account for events past the current date on their calendar. It's not a deal breaker, just something we have run across.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied April 2018

Thanks so much for the kind review, Heather!

Nicole from Yellow Dog Legal

This is the best!

It's been amazing so far!

Pros

I love how easy it is to send a trademark application to my clients. It's just the best. Plus it feels very professional and I think it makes a huge difference in how my firm appears.

Cons

I literally haven't found one thing I dislike about this software.

Response from Alt Legal

Replied March 2020

Thanks so much for the kind words. We're so glad to hear that our software has been helpful for you!

Kimra from Major-Morris Law, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Alt Legal instantly increased my productivity!

I'm saving a lot of time without manually tracking my open trademark matters. The intake form is perfect for collecting the necessary data for each client's needs.

Pros

It's user-friendly, efficient, cost-effective, and the real-time tracking helps me keep my clients informed.

Cons

I'd like to be able to remove inactive clients and revise email addresses without asking for assistance.

Easy set up

Pros

This software took little to no time to set up. I was using it within minutes.

Cons

The interface can be a little hard to get used to.