What are LeanLaw users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using LeanLaw software through verified user reviews

• icon"I moved from PCLaw (then a different web-based program) and looked, at all the major and minor players. This works great for me."
  • icon"I like the intuitive interfaces and clear direction. Some lawyers are not particularly in tune with technology, so these simple interfaces and directions help keep frustrations low."
  • icon"Customer support is excellent. And the price is a fraction of other online providers."
  • icon"The fixed fee template is confusing, at least to me."
  • icon"The only thing I don't like about the software is that I don't have 1000 clients yet and a billion in operating."
  • icon"The online version of Quickbooks is more difficult to use than the computerized version."

Browse all LeanLaw Reviews

• Have you used LeanLaw and would like to share your experience with others?

Wm Paul

Simple, easy to use, outstanding value

Excellent. Highly recommend for small to mid-sized law firms.

Pros

This software only does what it needs to do: time and billing. And it does a fantastic job at it. The interface is simple and easy to learn for users. It is also very fast and responsive. Yet it also support numerous features, such as LEDES, contingencies, and flat fee work. Great integration with Quickbooks Online. Online availability makes it cross-platform and available anywhere. Trust accounting is a snap. Customer support is excellent. And the price is a fraction of other online providers!

Cons

We encountered a couple small issues but the LeanLaw team addressed them very quickly.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

Tried a few solutions after PCLaw; nothing has come close to our experience with LeanLaw.

Nick

Industry: Law Practice

Best Solution to your timekeeping and billing needs

My Firm moved from a one size fits all solution about 6 months ago to using the Microsoft suite tools and LeanLaw integrated with Gravity Legal and Quick Books. This has been the best move we could have made. The integration between these three has been nothing but wonderful. I recently had a question about how to change a trust account request, and [SENSITIVE CONTENT] answered my question quickly and professionally. These guys know what business owners need and keep delivering. I can't say enough about them. There were growing pains in the beginning but every time I needed assistance the team at LeanLaw was there to help. If you are on the fence about moving from a competitor to LeanLaw STOP waiting and get moving. You will be glad you did!

Pros

Overall ease of use. The software is laid out in a simple to use format and allows the user a TON of functionality. Some users mentioned not being able to customize their invoice's I'm not sure what they were looking at because we have had no issue customizing not only our invoices but the emails and many other aspects of our communication with our clients. This makes our small firm look like huge firms with a big IT department.. We Love it!!!

Cons

We have been using this software for 6months and have had no issues with the software.. I wish I could give something for this but really is this is a ton better than the old software and it meets all of our needs.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

Zola had many fine qualities but they are a one size fits most kind of solution you are either paying for things you don't need or your paying for things that may only work some of the time. One of the big reasons we stayed with Zola as long as we did was the integrated billing and Email tagging. However, we started having issues with trust deposits not reflecting in the correct matter and Payments being recorded but not showing in the software. As you all know a lawyer can have their license to practice revoked for messing up the trust account and therefor we had to find a better solution.

Gregory

Inflexibility with Billing Format

Generally worked well but the inability to control the output of our bills was a deal killer.

Pros

Worked well with QuickBooks, generally. Timesheets were easy to use

Cons

Could not format the billing statement to our liking. Not flexible at all. Not being able to change the look of our bills was very problematic.

Wanted to integrate with QuickBooks Online

Response from LeanLaw

We appreciate the challenges with invoice presentation. The challenge is our integration with QuickBooks Online and its limitations based on form style. LeanLaw has filled the feature gap by adding specific features for invoice presentation. You can add the Matter Name or responsible attorney to the invoice header. We allow for combining time entries in a single day. Separating billable vs. non-billable ok aggregating the items. We have added the trust transaction activity into the invoice memo, and we have created invoice sections so that you can clearly communicate the fees vs. expenses on an invoice. We even have a summary invoice that allows for a single invoice summarized by the contributor. We attach an Excel file to the invoice to ensure your client has the necessary details. We are working closely with Intuit to improve the invoice style forms and make them even more catered to law firms. We're sorry LeanLaw wasn't awesome here, but we will keep improving.

Replied November 2020

Alicia

Industry: Law Practice

I highly recommend LeanLaw!

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] helped me with the initial trial as I was deciding which software to implement for our new firm. She answered my questions and really took the time to understand our needs. I've enjoyed the monthly tutorials, as they provide detail on various topics in LeanLaw and update us on what's next. They're a forward-thinking and customer-oriented company.

Pros

The software is cloud-based, so it's easily accessible via the internet and mobile app. It connects with QuickBooks Online seamlessly, which helps avoid the timely duplication we experienced with our previous software. It is also very user-friendly.

Cons

Some reports aren't as build-out as we'd like them to be. However, the LeanLaw team listens to the users and makes adjustments along the way to get the information needed.

Reasons for choosing LeanLaw

Integration with QBO, internet/cloud-based, ease of use, superior customer service and forward-thinking mentality of company.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

In starting a new firm, we felt it was a great opportunity to research billing programs. While some have practice management add-ons, we didn't feel that fit our business model. We don't necessarily want to commit to using a high-priced software with practice management because we don't have a need for it. We felt it was best to choose a program that only handled billing but handled it really well! We found that with LeanLaw.

Charles

LeanLaw is great.

Excellent. I contact customer support sometimes and they are responsive and personable.

Pros

LeanLaw is intuitive and simple. LeanLaw seems to have been set up with great attention to how attorneys actually work.

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't like about Lean Law.

Reasons for choosing LeanLaw

LeanLaw was straight forward and delivered what it promised.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

ProLaw was way too expensive especially considering the hardware server requirements. Plus, ProLaw was too complicated.

Deborah

Industry: Law Practice

I don't know how my business functioned before Lean Law.

The customer service and support is amazing.

Pros

The timekeeping features give attorneys everything they need to manage tracking billable hours. That it is integrated with Quickbooks is an amazing feature.

Cons

The cost of LeanLaw is a bit higher than some of the practice management software I considered previously. But it's worth it.

Reasons for choosing LeanLaw

Because it coordinated with Quickbooks. This made it possible for me to delegate more to my bookkeeper and CPA.

Albert

Know Your Business

Understanding who is producing, where they are producing, and who is responsible for clients all come together with QuickBooks and the bottom line.

Pros

It works great with QuickBooks and it tells us how we are doing for out monthly billing.

Cons

I am not a fan of the app on my phone. it needs to be easier to enter time. There seems to be a limit on the amount of text.

QuickBooks recommended

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

I wanted something that connected to my back office.

Mallory

Perfect for a Small Firm using Quickbooks

We previously had more expensive softwares and were using so few of the features because of the size of our firm.

Pros

I like the synchronization with Quickbooks. I also like that it is easy to apply different tax rates for different jurisdictions while time track and billing.

Cons

There is no ability to schedule appointments within the software. This is a feature I am very hopeful they will develop given that they already have a calendar view within Leanlaw.

Price and simplicity.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

We were not utilizing most of what Rocketmatter offered and wanted something more synchronized with Quickbooks.

Mitchell

LeanLaw Review

I have really enjoyed this product. I really don't have too many complaints about this product.

Pros

I enjoy the ease of use and the integration with Quickbooks. LeanLaw takes the stress out of accounting for lawyers. The customer service is always excellent.

Cons

It's not very intuitive and there isn't a place to store client documents within the software.

Reasons for choosing LeanLaw

It was cheaper and virtually did the same thing as Clio, minus the document storage and unneeded features for a solo-practice.

Christine

Game changer

Really great product, great customer service

Pros

Cloud-based system, easy to use, easy to review and edit my team's time entries. Easy to track time.

Cons

No cons for me

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

Timeslips sucks - not intuitive, not easy to use, not easy to review or edit time

Ian

LL Review

Overall it has been pretty good, there are a lot of useful features and is mostly much faster than PCLaw. I would like to see a few more features but I know a lot of things are being developed so that's good. I really like the response time when asking questions and how it seems that staff really takes your suggestions seriously and implements changes based on them. For things like QBO it's impossible to get your suggestions listened to quickly so I really like how LL does that.

Pros

I like that it is cloud-based and online, this way we can use it from anywhere. This makes it easier for the timekeepers to post their dockets and for me to use it from home. I also like how quick it is to run reports on expenses and time, in PCLaw it could take up to half an hour to run a report that with Leanlaw takes a few seconds.

Cons

Billing, I know they're working towards adding a select/deselect-all function so I don't have to remove thousands of entries slowly which is good. I do find when we have a large invoice with a lot of entries it is extremely slow and close to unusable. I would like to see more reports, specifically seeing what our WIP and Expenses were at a specific date. Right now setting the date parameters still excludes everything billed after that date, but we need to see it as if it was that date for our financial statements, so that is a big issue for our firm. I would also like to see more features for writing off invoices. Right now you can do it with QBO but then when running reports it still shows those times as being billed, which can be an issue when we base bonuses off billings, since those weren't actually billed but written off.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

PCLaw was old and not very user-friendly. It was running slowly and they rarely updated it. It was difficult for the timekeepers to post their dockets. We also wanted a cloud-based system so we could access it from anywhere.

Astrid

Industry: Law Practice

Simple tools for a good price.

It has been good. I much prefer it to the other systems I've used, b/c it is more cost effective and does what I need it to do.

Pros

I like that the service doesn't have too many bells and whistles. All I need it for is time tracking and submitting bills/invoices to Quickbooks. I used to use a different software for my firm and it had way too many functions (none of which I ever used) and as such, the price was very high and not worth it for me.

Cons

I have problems when implementing specific time entries. For example: if you try and log a quarter of an hour (0.25) or 3 quarters of an hour (0.75) in your time entries, you won't be able to submit the bill to quickbooks - I think b/c the system doesn't recognize past one decimal place. This is frustrating b/c I often deal in 0.25 or 0.75, and it means I have to go back and edit and change a bunch of entries which is a waste of my time. I also don't love the look/aesthetic of the program, but that doesn't really matter very much.

Clio

Cost.

Cost.

Response from LeanLaw

Hey Astrid, thank you so much for your response! We appreciate your feedback on our product, as it helps us grow and improve. Our team has taken note of your experience, and is fixing the decimal issue. If you are willing to share any more feedback we welcome it. Thanks!

Replied November 2020

Kevin

Industry: Law Practice

Intuitive product and great customer support

Very positive. They helped me very quickly and confidently launch my solo law practice in 2017. When I relaunched the practice in 2020, all of my information was restored automatically. It was very easy and a great relief.

Pros

The product is easy to set up and easy to use. The integration with Quickbooks is great - it made it possible for me to confidently use Quickbooks, which I had never used before. The team is very responsive to customer service questions and any questions/issues are very quickly addressed. They are great communicators.

Cons

I don't have any criticisms but my law practice is not very complex.

Reasons for choosing LeanLaw

I liked the monthly subscription pricing and the easy integration with QuickBooks. I was also able to speak with someone from the company and they had very good practical advice for launching my law practice with their product and with Quickbooks. I felt confident after speaking with them.

S. Jeffrey

Fits the Bill

My experience has been very very good overall. I have only needed customer service once or twice over the past year or so I have used the product and both times, LeanLaw was extremely responsive and helpful.

Pros

I chose LeanLaw because it works with my Mac based systems, integrates very easily with Quickbooks, and has a very easy to use interface for my desktop which I use all day every day.

Cons

I would like a little more ability to customize some things.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

I couldn't integrate Billings Pro with Quickbooks and I got to the point where I just felt I could no longer trust the product.

Aaron

Industry: Law Practice

I'm a solo practitioner and LeanLaw provides exactly what I need from billing to IOLTA management.

The ability to track, monitor, and control my business.

Pros

The intuitive nature of the software is excellent. Like any software, it takes some getting used to, and there will be bumps and hiccups along the way, but once you figure it all and get comfortable with the platform, it is a pleasure to use. The streamlined process from setting up trust to entering time to billing the client couldn't be more straight forward. If you take a retainer first, and bill the client against the retainer, or just bill your client and accept payment after, LeanLaw accommodates all arrangements. In addition, the seamless and real-time integration with Quickbooks Online makes this software truly special. To be able to get a snapshot of my business at all times, and see exactly where I am at financially and billing with all my clients gives me an incredible advantage when running my business. Lastly, the customer support is stellar. LeanLaw support is always ready to help, and they are patient and efficient, no matter how simple the problem seems. As a solo practitioner, I was very nervous to start my own practice, and LeanLaw has made it worlds easier. I recommend this software to anyone and everyone.

Cons

The only thing I don't like about the software is that I don't have 1000 clients yet and a billion in operating. Like anything, it takes some time to get used to, but that is no fault of LeanLaw.

Response from LeanLaw

Thanks for the review, Aaron! Glad you're enjoying the software

Gregory

Industry: Law Practice

Good product;great integration with Quickbooks; great, personalized customer service.

Pros

It's easy to learn and use. The web-based interface is clean and simple and easy to read and use. It handles both time entry, billing, and trust accounting, which is essential because Quickbooks either doesn't do those things, or does them so poorly that it's impossible to figure out. However, Leanlaw's Quickbooks integration is excellent and reliable. I learned how to use Quickbooks and Leanlaw at the same time, and have found it easier than I expected. Quickbooks is a much more complex system, but Leanlaw does a good job of keeping Leanlaw separate but perfectly integrated. I've been impressed with it.

Cons

More of a bug than a dislike, but if you let it sit open in your browser for a while, it will let you type in a time entry or expense entry, and only after you hit "Enter" will it tell you that you need to login again and you've lost your entry.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

PC Law was archaic and integrated with nothing, and very difficult to administer and update. I also wanted accounting software that worked with my bank so that I wouldn't have to re-enter all the bank transactions into the accounting software. Once I decided that, Leanlaw was BY FAR the best option with Quickbooks integration.

Alexzander

Great product overall

Overall, I am pleased Leanlaw. We have been using it for over a year now, and we still have some kinks to workout. Overall, I believe that the Leanlaw training process could be much more streamlined.

Pros

It is fairly easy to use and integrates with quickbooks online.

Cons

I am not really proficient in quickbooks and I think that the software would be more useful to me if I knew qbo better

the qbo integration

Tabs3

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

We did not like tabs at all, and did not feel that it worked well.

Kennedy

Great Software

Pros

LeanLaw is great for our firm because it does not have all the extra bells and whistles of other programs. I find that these other options are rarely used and unnecessarily complicate the software.

Cons

It would be nice to have a dashboard with general info about the current monthly status of the firm and billings.

Reasons for switching to LeanLaw

PCLaw was archaic and difficult to use. It lacked the ability to provide useful reports.

Amy

Lean Law Review

Our time keeping ability is much improved from Juris and the attorneys are more involved by entering their own (most) time. I have really enjoyed the lean law staff and I wish they were standalone and didnt need QBO online cause it sucks!

Pros

The help from customer service and on-boarding. they were always available to help me until we got up and running. The software is very user friendy.

Cons

So far there is not much i dont like. I think that is there was one thing I could change it would be printing options. Example, from trust you cant print a report that looks suited to submit. The reports arent labeled what they are. Example: print of timekeepers time has no label ...this year? Last year? date range?

Response from LeanLaw

Amy, LeanLaw just released a new and updated reporting engine. This directly resolves the formatting concerns you articulated in your response. It also added a more robust and real-time revenue by attorney report. Thanks for your work and feedback.

Alessandra

Decent legal management software

Pros

It's quite simple to navigate the surface-level features of the program such as adding a new client, matter, or depositing to a client's trust account.

Cons

The Quickbooks integration can be difficult to navigate, and anytime you need to make a change to an invoice, you have to do so in QBO. It cannot be done in Lean Law. The interface is also pretty dated and reminds me of an old school software program.

Clio

Quickbooks integration

Keith

User Friendly and Cost Effective

See pros above!

Pros

LeanLaw streamlined our billing process, allowing easy integration with QuickBooks. This made our entire firm more productive, from preparing readable invoices to working with bookkeepers and tax professionals in ensuring our records were accurate.

Cons

There are a few macros that continue to be tweaked by LeanLaw, which we understand is an ongoing process. We would love to see a feature where simple math calculations are performed (e.g. mileage, copies, etc.). LeanLaw has been very receptive to our ideas of making the overall product easier to navigatre.

Richard

Industry: Law Practice

Leanlaw is a great deal that needs a little improvement

My overall experience has been very good. The customer support is fantastic and the product itself does just what small law firms like mine need.

Pros

Leanlaw's pricing is reasonable and it does what I need without too much fuss. It handles time tracking, new client/matter creation and monitoring of receivables in a reasonably easy to use fashion and, most important, interacts directly with QuickBooks Online in a very simple to use way.

Cons

The user interface needs some work. Trust accounting is a sub menu to Billing, but is really a distinct set of functions. The calendar feature is a good idea but doesn't relate to the actual periods of time during which a matter is being worked on. On/off switches or buttons for different matters would be helpful so that switching between matters was a little easier. Also, the ability to customize the trust reporting would be very helpful.

Response from LeanLaw

Hello Richard, you will see updates to the trust management in the next few months. It's slotted in our development schedule. High on the list is to bring trust management to the forefront of the product. In regards to your on/off switch, a matter can be archived. This will hide it from your day-to-day view but still have the data for reporting purposes. Any archived matter can easily be un-archived if a matter becomes active again.

Tracie

Extremely Versatile and Intuitive

The sales and support staff are wonderful to work with. It was an easy and quick transition.

Pros

This software is very user friendly and simple to use. Time entries flow seamlessly into the invoicing section which then flow into QuickBooks Online. Being able to see pertinent information within LeanLaw such as a/r reports, trust reports and billing info make it so handy to not have to leave the program and go into QBO separately. I love that you can create a client and have it automatically be added to the QBO customer list. Support staff is friendly, helpful and very responsive.

Cons

There are a couple of reports that would be more useful if some of the content was able to be "drilled down" into for additional details, but other than that there are no complaints.

Lynda

My go to app for working with Law firms and QuickBooks Online

All of the law firms I work with use LeanLaw. We are even converting clients from desktop PC law to LeanLaw/QuickBooks Online. We are conversion specialists in moving law firm clients to the cloud.

Pros

It's ease of use. From the attorney's perspective, it is very intuitive. Produces high-quality invoices. From the Accountant's perspective, it works seamlessly with QuickBooks Online. I love the two-way sync and the billable expenses feature.

Cons

Nothing, the even have high-level customer service. Great app!

Lean Law Saves Time and Money for Sole Practitioner

The software is easy to use, intuitive, and saves me time and money. Moving to the cloud has been the best decision I have ever made and Lean Law allowed me to do so. I highly recommend Lean Law to any firm looking for improved efficiency in timekeeping, billing and productivity. They have very responsive customer service should the need arise.

Pros

It is easy to use, integrates with Quickbooks for billing, allows me to access my timekeeping software from anywhere and has saved me time and money since I began using it. It is easy to use and very intuitive.

LeanLaw