• Pros

• "It's comprehensiveness, easy to use and well navigated. Great for clerks and other staff to use. Explains itself well"

• "It is easy to maneuver and access. I use it daily and the functionality is understandable."

• "I like the versatility of the options and the ability to have an all encompassing application for my accounting needs."

• Cons

• "Can't think of any cons that need to be written. PC covers all our needs. The updates could be more relative to what is needed."

• "It's not the most user-friendly software out there. If you're used to something like Quickbooks, this may take a little more training and getting familiar with. "

• "The worst part about PCLaw is that sometimes it would freeze and I would lose all my time entries! Very frustrating."

Browse PCLaw Reviews

Martin M. from Martin M. Adler, Esq., P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Hands down the best legal billing software I have ever used

I have found PCLAW to be the best solution for smaller law firms, where numerous timekeepers may work on a particular matter.

Pros

PCLAW has the best interface, once you've learned how to use it it is very easy to use, with a lot of features. Very easy to integrate with various insurance carrier portals. Easy to generate reports.

Cons

Somewhat of a learning curve. Can be expensive if you're adding many licensed users.

Pretty Good Program for Billing

Overall, the program is great and is easy to work. There are parts that are a bit annoying, but for the price it's really great.

Pros

This software is pretty easy to navigate. Although it it takes a little bit of training, it becomes quite simple once you get the hang of it and figure out exactly what you are doing. It's great to be able to pull up the hours by attorney and to see exactly how much time is being spent on each case.

Cons

To see new time and old time together, you have to open different windows. This can be a pain when you're trying to look at the comparison as I have to split screen. Also, if you accidentally hit the "enter" button, it submits the time entry and you have to open a second window to add more time if desired.

Dean from Dean L. Surkin, attorney at law

Flawed software

I used it for about ten years, and each year I spoke to company reps about addressing the problems I saw. They promised but never made any attempt to address my concerns. I switched to CosmoLex,and it is significantly better.

Pros

Integrated time keeping, billing and accounting

Cons

Poorly formatted bills - columns dont line up and tech support couldnt correct it; difficult installation involving database engine, clumsy updating procedure when software versions released

Reasons for Choosing PCLaw

Cost.

Ed from Scott L Braum & Associates

Former PCLaw user

PCLaw is a complete package to run a law firm with. Prior to the past couple of years, it was a pretty solid, although very dated, package. After a year or more of issues without resolutions, we decided to move on to another package. Unless major improvements are made to the product and it actually becomes a stable product, I would not recommend it. Customer service needs to drastically improve as well.

Pros

The original PCLaw package was very good and reliable. It had all of the features that you needed to properly run a law firm. The package was a bit out of date, but worked well until they tried to upgrade it.

Cons

The last couple of years had updates where each update was worse than the one before. When we would call customer support about an issue, we were told that we were the only ones having that issue. We later learned from other users that we were not the only ones experiencing the problems. Customer support was seldom able to fix a problem or solve an issue. We didn't install the last couple of "upgrades" due to the experiences of other users. Finally, we just move on to another software package completely. We had been users of PCLaw for well over 10 years when we finally left.

Reasons for Choosing PCLaw

At the time, it was somewhat the Standard in the industry.

Diane from Law Office of D.L. Drain

You cannot auto pay for PC Law

Don't use LexisNexis PC Law. I have used PC Law for more than 12 years and loved it. But, if you want a convenient way to pay then don't use this LexisNexis product. They will not offer an automatic pay and it takes a call to their support in order to be able to make the monthly statement.

Pros

It is a good accounting program, but too complicated for most small law firms. I have used it for many years and learned how to customize it to our practice.

Cons

It takes my bookkeeper 30 minutes to get help paying our monthly statement because LexisNexis does not offer automated payments. That is ridiculous and at least 15 years behind auto pay processes.

Stephan from Freeman & Freeman

Pclaw

The software was great. General ledger, trust, time keeping, billing, reports, calender, reminder system. Starting with version 12 it started slowing down and crashing. I would not recommend buying it

Pros

accounting portion and the calender and reminder system

Cons

it is no longer a functioning software. It is corrupted on a weekly basis. It is very susceptible to any inference by temp files, antivirus software, backup programs or the like. I bought it in 1996 and it was great until version 12. It has been hell since then. It constantly slows down and then stops. I would recommend buying cosmolex.

Jessica from ADLI Law Group

Never going back

We're not going back to it. We're currently using Centerbase and really like it.

Pros

It's nice that the software runs certain reports such as summary of all legal fees and the payments towards the end of the report. It is also nice that it runs reports as to what are considered as "write-offs" and what are "credits".

Cons

Difficult to use. Every single time pcLaw is open on the desktop, it freezes the entire desktop--therefore, it's impossible to do anything else besides just staring at the screen waiting for it to hopefully work. Very finicky, you have to make sure that everything is correct the first time, or else you'd have to go back and wait a long period of time again to just make 1 correction.

Not the most user-friendly software, but it definitely gets the job done.

It integrates very well with Amicus, our law office management software. It's definitely a great value for the money.

Pros

PC Law integrates easily with Amicus, our law office management software, which makes time and billing easy. It has every function that you could possibly need to create a large variety of reports. It's very affordable and meets our needs.

David from Law Practice

Data curruption issues

very bad tech support. I would stay away from this product. there is a huge risk in losing your data. This is especially worrisome if you operate a trust account.

Pros

I used it because it was what I was taught on, but it is clunky and unstable.

Cons

I had data corruption issues almost monthly. I spent hours on the phone with the tech support to try to fix it. They said that only they could fix it and i could not know how or why it was happening.

Grace from Berman Mickelson Dembo & Jacobs, LLC

Wouldn't recommend

Although the program had some good features and for the most part was easy to learn, the countless problems and inability to create more frequent updates or updates you don't have to pay for ultimately is what drove us to switch software. Cloud-based programs is the way to go.

Pros

The program was fairly easy to learn and had some good features but only when they worked properly.

Cons

This program caused COUNTLESS problems and headaches when it came to applying interest on different matters. The credit card processing only sometimes worked properly then one day completely stopped working so we had to log in to a third party processing system then manually enter the payment in PCLaw. You have to pay for new licences every time there is an update. You have to pay for customer support package. Almost impossible to get a hold of anyone.

Kristi from Wooten Law Group

Pathetic

Pros

The time keeping function is easy to use (when it works).

Cons

Customer Support is horrible. The last "fix" they made corrupted client files - causing more problems. Each time PC Law crashes - which is often i have to pay my IT reps to work with PC Law to "fix" the problem. I spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with them yesterday morning, only to be told the PC Law tech couldn't fix the problem and we would (again) have to be "expedited to an engineer." Promised a phone call. Nothing. I won't even being with the account rep. Unfulfilled promises. They need to fix their software and provide a new version. The problems with PC Law costs us in money and efficiency every time it goes down. A law firm cannot go five days without access to bill pay, billing, and time keeping. Prices go up annually, but problems multiply.

Guillermo from McCuiston Law Offices

Software so old it should be encased in amber

Buggy, sluggish, crash prone, outdated, outclassed and overpriced.

Pros

I am hard pressed to think of anything positive other than maybe it was great in 1995?

Cons

As an IT consultant working with a firm that has used PC Law since 2004, I have made the recommendation to ditch this software after uncovering the debacle that is attempting to move past version 14.2. Lexis Nexis has had so many problems with version 15.x and 16.x since haphazardly making the switch to Microsoft SQL that they actually pulled the software. So a law firm that pays and annual contract cannot move past PC Law 14.2 for the foreseeable future. Firms that made the mistake of moving to 15 or 16 before apparently have had a rough ride. This software is straight out of the 80s and they make no effort to improve the UI or anything else.

PCLaw is a competent suite, but absent a unique use case, is outpunched by its competition.

Pros

PCLaw probably offers the most depth around the edges in the practice management and accounting software space for lawyers. With PCLaw backending your workflow and a competent bookkeeper helping run your reports, your books will be five by five. If, like me, you've been made familiar with PCLaw because it was what was in use at a firm, you won't rue the fact the you have to interact with this software. It does its job effectively and without fuss.

Cons

Unless you've isolated some use case that its competition does not cover, you'll likely be spending more money and more time making PCLaw do what others can do more efficiently for lower use fees. If like me you've been in charge of selecting the software solution for a firm, you may well find yourself asking why you'd pick PCLaw over a competitive product. As noted, there may be some peculiar fee structure or left field accounting best practice that only PCLaw will let you manage efficiently, but in my experience it wouldn't be the top of the heap.

Brenda from Ffraser Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

This software has gone downhill fast and it is no longer worth considering.

his software used to work well and was user friendly. That has changed. We updated to Windows 10 and it has been a disaster. previously closed and balanced months are now out of balance. Support keeps saying it will be fixed with the next/newest update and it is not fixed. This has been going on for a year and it is stressing me out. I have to get new software after 15 years of using this one. The time and cost for transferring will be onerous. I am very disappointed with the product and the service.

Pros

It is easy to do bank reconciliations...

Cons

Since we updated to Windows 10 the G/L is out of balance even for prior years/months that were previously closed and balanced, can't get it sorted out even with escalated customer support. This is a disaster and it's been that way for about a year. I am devastated by this because our accounting has always been balanced and correct, but now it is unbalanced and they can't seem to fix it. I need to change to different software which will cost me a fortune to transfer over the conflicts and other information. There are no automatic payroll entries (don't need the tax calculated, just easy entries). The phone app does not work well or consistently. The phone call manager should be available as an icon on main page but that is not possible. The calendar is awful. There is no spell check for entries.

Amy from Lee Durham, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

I use this software daily and it is pretty user friendly. I do everything on it except payroll.

I can look at activity on a file, time that has been posted in bills and easily reconcile bank statements.

Pros

That it integrates with Amicus to produce monthly bills and is easy to use. I like that it populates frequently used vendors and such when you are writing a check or recording a payment

Cons

That you can't archive a matter until you've closed the month there is activity in it. That when you search help topics, it isn't really user friendly.

Barbara from Barbara L. Franklin, Esq.. AAL

Industry: Law Practice

Freezes; duplicates bank accounts; show unpaid checks that have cleared and been reconciled.

14 years of accuracy and trust in the product, but that was two years ago.

Pros

That I am leaving it. It worked so well for 14 years. Everything worked find, customer support was ok, billing worked good and trust accounts easily reconciled. Then version 16 came out.

Cons

Freezes when moving from one client to another; freezes when saving time; will not open, staff complaints, and the lack of support and the broken promises.

Initially, I loved the product, but as time went on, I found a great many flaws in the program.

It did help us to realize more specifically what we needed in a comprehensive program.

Pros

As we moved to this program from a general office (not law related) software, I liked the improved ability to keep trust accounting quite separate from our operating account.

Cons

There were flaws in the software that made visible accounting errors which could not be corrected. The problem was first noted by a client or two and then, when we recalculated by hand and separate calculator, the errors were very clear, but there was no way to correct the PCLaw information. No matter what we tried, the program refused to accept the corrections. Ultimately, we made the tough decision to move to another program, as we lost at least three customers and countless hours over the problems caused by the program errors.

Prone to crashing

Pros

The edition we used would crash like clockwork. It was tough logging a day's worth of tasks if I wasn't sure when I clicked to submit at the end of the day that all entries would be accurately reflected. Easy to fix for the most part, but sometimes it didn't help me get out of the office any quicker.

Cons

Again, the crashing made it difficult to enjoy using.

Nancy from Dunlap Law Professional Corporation

Industry: Law Practice

very practical, mostly user friendly

client billing, monthly and annual reporting

Pros

This software works well between the trust and general accounts, permits extra accounts to be documented. There are many reports available and the ability to build suitable reports.

Cons

At times certain types of report information - information gathering, requires several reports to be compiled and then compared.

Sam from Sam Smith llc

Customer Service nosedive

PCLaw needs a repair weekly. Each repair takes about 1 hour waiting on the phone for a customer support technician. (No online portals or email to send in tickets) Once support technician reviews the errors they escalate to engineer (everytime) engineer won't get back to me for another 48 hours and will always call first thing at 5:00 AM even though stated many times that I am on PST time. It takes the engineer an hour to fix error, so thats another hour lost and wasted. Converting CTREE to SQL is an absolute nightmare.

Pros

I used to like their support. Not anymore

Cons

The customer support really took a nose dive. Best to try another Time Matters software solution just because of the time wasted on support calls with this company. Expect to give at least 2 hours of your day per week on support calls.

Karen from Douglas strelshik law

I have been using this in my practice for years now and it works

It's easy to use and organizes everything for our books

Doris from Price & Associates, LLC

PCLaw Review

I like using PCLaw as it keeps track of our daily activities and I can search different aspects of the software.

Pros

Cons

Trying to retrieve reports and use other parts that I have never used.

PC Law is great, but updates can assist it to be greater

Pros

Cons

I don't like the ease of use. It is a little dated. It could use a more consolidated approach to the various features offered.

KATELIN from Rosette, LLP

Basic Time Entry Software

I loved the spellcheck feature and of all of the billing softwares I used, PCLaw was the best because it was the most simple.

Pros

PCLaw is a straightforward, basic, easy-to-use time entry software used for billing. No frills with the software, but no frills are needed!

Jessica from Ducharme Law

Outdated software

Pros

It's familiar and most law firms use it.

Cons

It's outdated and doesn't sync well with other programs. This program froze almost every single day and unless you paid for support (at a large sum) you couldn't get any help. It was extremely frustrating.

Dan from Law Offices of David K Tran

Ok information input.

Pros

The software has a lot of functionality. This software will cover all of your legal and law firm related tasks and organization.

Cons

Product is mediocre when comparing with various law firm related softwares. The ease of use is subpar and the interface is confusing.

Randy from Ungarlaw

Old User Thoroughly Dissatisfied

I believe PCLAW is yesterdays tech that is not properly supported. I would think Lexis should spend the time to upgrade this program for internet/tablet/phone and reintroduce. Till then avoid at all costs mainly because Lexis support is terrible and worse uncaring.

Pros

If You can get it working it does everything a lawyer accounting program should do

Cons

1. Customer support could not get my program working after multiple hours over multiple days. My account rep then set up an engineering appointment which necessitated me waiting by the phone that never happened. You can never get anyone on the phone! I wanted badly to use PCLAW and finally just gave up.

Anthony from Faruqi & Faruqi LLP

Industry: Law Practice

A mediocre program for small businesses

Pros

The way that it mirrored Excel allowed for seamless transposition of time entries.

Cons

I found it very tedious to have to go back and forth for every single entry to edit time, text, or matter number that it was assigned to rather than being able to do it all in one place. I also found the reports and methodology to be difficult in how to navigate through PCLaw in order to find the appropriate reports to create time records.

Larry from Mehaffy Weber, PC.

Industry: Law Practice

PC Law is an extremely powerful tool in the legal environment

Offers Comprehensive reporting and gives ability to keep all case information, information regarding parties, file notes, assignments and appointments.

Pros

Provides access to technology tools to streamline projects efficiently and professionally.

Cons

PCLaw seems a bit intimidating at first but very user friendly.

David from FCE

Terrible experience

Pros

The software offered split billing, which is something needed in my practice and not something that exists with lots of companies.

Cons

Customer service is terrible. The program failed after four years. It simply crashed. Despite spending over the program, they offer no support, unless I pay additional. If I had known about their lack of support for a flawed product, I never would have agreed to purchase this product.

Melissa from Bridges

PC Law

Pros

That it integrates with Amicus and makes the billing easy

Cons

This software is not really user friendly, needs to interact more like QuickBooks

Renatta from The Center for Family Law

Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use software, very efficient

Ease of use, efficiency, and saved time doing menial tasks.

Pros

I find the customer support to be extremely useful and prompt; I have had to use it on several occasions and never had an issue getting through or solving my problem.

Cons

The look of the software is somewhat outdated, but it is still easy to find anything you might be looking for.

wayne from Huston Law Office

Industry: Law Practice

Since they changed over to SQL the program does not work. It freezes constantly.

Before the upgrade the program worked fairly well.

Pros

Integration of accounting and billing when before the SQL. It allows you track invoices, and payments, once you understand the system.

Cons

Doesn't work. Freezes requiring restarts. Customer service typically can't help. They offer "work around for every problem because it doesn't work.

Has not kept up with the times

For very basic use I guess its an ok system but we have moved towards a system with more options and complex options outside of the basic options provided. Outdated and its a shame.

Pros

The calendaring and time keeping is easy and simple to use. Not rocket science and gets the job done.

Cons

The functionality is limited. Case types and cross functionality is missing.

Tracy from Warder Law

PC LAW - do not make this your first choice

Very unhappy. Time wasted fixing software problems.

Pros

There are constant error messages and always calling for support to fix errors.

Cons

Constant errors in our book keeping. Loss of Trust monies in accounts, loss of payments to accounts. Discrepancies between general journal and reconciliations.

Jacob from Torys

So very great!

Pros

This software contains tons of helpful information that I use for my practice.

Cons

I would like better mobile access to the information.

Katrina from Davison Legal Associates, P.C.

Not user friendly

Great!

Pros

Software is very helpful and easy to use in the legal profession.

Cons

Sometimes, what i do not like is that the software sometimes spazzes or freezes while in use.