What are Rocket Matter users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Rocket Matter software through verified user reviews

• icon"I have used this software for 5 to 6 years. It has some great features and is easy for myself and staff to use."
  • icon"Among the key features that I like best are the bulk billing, evergreen trust accounting, and integration with Dropbox, Gmail, Evernote, and other programs."
  • icon"It manages case process billing and our document assembly. Very functional, great value for money and easy to use."
  • icon"I did not encounter any particular flaws. I just found it a little confusing to grasp at the beginning."
  • icon"I defy anyone to use, for example, the Fujitsu ScanSnap integration, or their mobile apps. Both are so ill conceived and executed that they are essentially worthless."
  • icon"I found the application to be over-simplified and somewhat childish. This application is really geared for a younger set."

Browse all Rocket Matter Reviews

• Have you used Rocket Matter and would like to share your experience with others?

Eliel

Company size: 11 - 50 employees

Best Cloud Software for Client Management

Oswaldo

GREAT software to keep track of your cases and bill hours. A bit expensive.

BILLABLE HOURS! Keep track of them. TEMPLATES! Based on the kind of law you practice. CONTACTS! Let's say you have an adjuster saved as a contact, he calls to settle a case, then you're able to see all cases with him and discuss all.

Pros

When set up properly you can just open new case and auto assign tasks to your staff by templates. We are an Injury Law and this software has made our practice a heck of a lot easier.

Cons

PRICE. Every user is billed separately. Would be nice to have have packages based on the size of the law firm.

Aaron

Easy to use and full of features

Pros

Ease of use and setup. Customer service has been great and responsive. Also the cost for what it does is reasonable.

Cons

There a ton of integrations that RocketMatter has, but most require their own subscription. So the cost of this is only the start. From my research, all of the practice management software requires other software and most of that software requires a subscription.

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

Ease of use. It was recommended by other attorneys who had experience with other practice management systems.

Reasons for switching to Rocket Matter

Tabs3 was Windows based and I wanted to move towards a Mac operating system. The Windows server environment became expensive to maintain and costly when things did not work. I was looking at various cloud based systems so it would not matter what computer operating system was being used.

Industry: Law Practice

Dated Product, clunky interface.

Their support desk employees are responsive when you call them for support, but their development side is sorely lacking. Overall, how good is it? My old firm developed our own in-house software in the late 1990s that still out performs Rocketmatter.

Pros

RocketMatter was a good value for the money when it first came out. It has fallen well behind other software now.

Cons

When we signed up for RocketMatter is was being praised as a modern platform. Unfortunately it is not modern. It is now like driving an old used car held together with duct tape. RocketMatter is not updating the platform at all. It seems like all they do is release APIs to allow other programs to link to it. Many of those links are clunky, ill conceived and generally a nuisance. I defy anyone to use, for example, the Fujitsu ScanSnap integration, or their mobile apps. Both are so ill conceived and executed that they are essentially worthless. If you ask questions about improvements, RocketMatter refers you to another site called Receptive where they ask you to identify potential improvements. They don't appear to be updating it, as they have "planned upgrades" listed as upcoming in the future (more API connections) that they released a year or more ago. They also don't appear to be reviewing suggestions on the site, as noted by people posting there.

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

At the time, it was better rated.

Response from Rocket Matter

James, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced some frustration with Rocket Matter. We have recently updated our mobile application and are hard at work to ensure that other customer-requested improvements and features are added to our software on a monthly basis. We would really love the opportunity to speak to you regarding your personal experience with Rocket Matter so that we can make it right. Please be on the lookout for an email from our support team so we may discuss how we can help work toward a solution. Thanks!

Replied April 2021

Liisa

Industry: Law Practice

Rocket Matter is great case management software

It has been very good which is why we have stuck with them for 7 years now. It is especially highlighted for me now that we also have a CRM software. We have had 2 different CRMs and neither one of them had the easy standard reporting features of Rocket Matter. I would consider using RM if they had a CRM.

Pros

I love the reporting features that are built in. It makes it easy for me to find data about the operation of the business. It is very easy to run invoices and track time.

Cons

It is difficult to pull reports that are not standard part of RM package. The RM team has helped us device a way to do so but it is still clunky. It also took approx 20 hours of my staff time working with RM team to make it possible to add interest to client invoices. It something that should be standard in any case management software that does billing.

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

Rocket Matter was able to be more flexible with our team and develop a contract that worked for us. That was the selling point and is why I will not go to Clio.

Reasons for switching to Rocket Matter

Time Matters was software not cloud based and it was getting difficult to maintain. Also their customer service was not helpful.

Great Service and Functionality

I am very pleased with the service.

Pros

That is is a cloud based program with updates and customer service included in the subscription.

Cons

I would like a billing option to have the timer, with a short description of the action (that is always generated on the invoicing), but another section for notes (because I will sometime take notes on the timer description) that do not generate on the invoicing. Because, sometimes I will have to go back through the invoice and delete verbiage. Also, the phone/iPad app does not work very well...I find.

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

Not sure...honestly. I just looked at RM first and liked it.

Reasons for switching to Rocket Matter

Amicus always seemed to have issues, had updates that needed to be purchased that were costly, and required you to be at the computer in the office to access.

Lynn

RM Review for Law Office

I have used this product for timekeeping and billing for over 8 plus years now. It seems to work well with my office.

Pros

It is user friendly. Some of the billing I would like to change as to how it prints out, but maybe that is user error. Customer service is excellent!

Cons

The billing features are a little dated.

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

I am not sure, but I thought at the time that it was probably more user friendly.

It was time to update.

Lisa

Industry: Law Practice

Much better than previous billing software(s)!

It's been great. Support is fantastic!

Pros

It's very easy to use and the support staff is fantastic

Cons

There is not feature to add admin users for billing without paying for an additional user

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

We used Time Matters previously but once we reviewed Rocket Matter we realized that it was much easier to use.

Reasons for switching to Rocket Matter

Rocket Matter made more sense for our needs

Kareem

This reviewer was invited by the software vendor to submit an honest review.

Rocket Matter Review

It's been pretty solid, but there have been a few really heavy bumps in the road to get us to full functionality. Customer support team is excellent (shoutout to [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]) but it took us a really long time to get to being able to use the system fully.

Pros

Ease of overall billing process and generating Prebills. Other systems required too much additional work to generate an invoice or mark-up a Prebill. Rocket Matter made it so I have to do less than three steps to generate bills and it has saved a ton of time.

Cons

Not being able to write checks directly out of Rocket Matter and having to invest in Quickbooks additionally.

Reasons for switching to Rocket Matter

We liked the user-friendliness of Rocket Matter and the potential that it could bring.

Response from Rocket Matter

Kareem, Thank you for the kind review! We are thrilled to hear you have been happy with Rocket Matter and look forward to our continued partnership!

Replied May 2021

Tracie

Billing is so much easier!

Overall Im very pleased.

Pros

The ease of batch billing and notifications to client. Our previous software was awful and did not include blast emailing to customers. Now that we have switched back to RM my billing is being done regularly and clients are not missing invoices.

Cons

Recently I needed a report run for a client and I was not able to easily get the information I needed.

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

Seemed to fit my needs better and we had previously used it so I was familiar with it

Reasons for switching to Rocket Matter

I am a 20 year paralegal and have used several different billing platforms. Zola Suite is literally the worst I have ever used.

BARBARA

September 2016

Rocket Matter Support Team can't be Beat!

Although I feel that there are some features that could be adjusted or tweaked to make better, I gave a resounding 5 star rating to the service team there and would have given more if available. When I hit a road block, 9 times out of 10, the team there gets it "fixed" while I'm on the phone, within minutes, (I do like being able to talk with a human quickly for most problems). If the issue is one that is a bit more complicated, they do not hesitate to get help from someone who has maybe been there longer or might have had the issue come up before. And, they are always willing to "put suggestions" in front of the developing team. They always work with you on your level and can put it in words that anyone can understand.

Pros

That I can get help anytime I need it. Again, hats off to a great support team!

Cons

the calendar . . . I wish it was easier to enter events without having to go back and forth between the calendar and the event screen . . . that you could enter multiple events on the same screen . . . I wish that there were more color categories . . . We use outlook calendar and cannot sync with Rocket Matter for this reason. We use different color categories for mediations, hearings, etc. And, combine those categories with the attorney/people attending each. Do not like that you have individual "blocks" if more than one person is attending the same event.

Mary Ellen

Industry: Law Practice

Rocket Matter works well and the staff have always been very helpful. You have a good product.

Pros

I set up all the contacts, matters and users. I am the bookkeeper so I post all expenses and payments. I also post some time. All of the features work well. I also like some of the trust features. I also think that your support team is very good. They are always respectful and try to answer any questions that I have thrown their way.

Cons

Setting up matters - I would like to see a template that allows you to set hourly rates for employees. Trust accounting - It would be great if you could assign a minimum balance on the trust account for expenses such as court cost, register of deed, etc. For example the account can't deduct anything from the trust account for invoice when it reaches $200. Anything spend out of the $200 must be maunally posted. It would also be good if there was a way to produce trust letters like you produce invoices. I send out letters quarterly, annually and final.

???

Reasons for switching to Rocket Matter

Honestly don't remember. I do remember having to rebuild files in that program and it was a pain.

Joan

March 2022

Ease of use

Pros

It makes it easy to find contacts, calendaring, and billing information to have it all in one spot.

Cons

The mobile app is a bit confusing to use to enter time

Search Contact

Good, it is nice to be able to call and get help right away and if they can't help you they will get back to you pretty quickly

Pros

The different features that you can do and the support

Cons

When you search someone that is only a contact, nothing comes up, you have to search to the left under the contact section. I wish you could just start searching and it will show the contact. It shows activity but not the contact. Of course it lets you click on the contact when it has a matter associated with it I just think it would be better to search it from there. We never use the contact thing on the left of the screen

The billing aspect

October 2015

A Clio Alternative

I thoroughly researched and personally tested several case management systems, both cloud-based and not, before deciding on RocketMatter. During my decision-making process, the sales staff were helpful and never pushy. Once I made the decision, they had me up and running in no time flat. The learning curve is gentle. RocketMatter now saves me hours (if not actual days) each month, which I can devote to billable tasks rather than the billing process. I would highly recommend RocketMatter to any small law firm out there!

Pros

-Fantastic customer service! Always prompt, friendly, knowledgeable and professional! -Very user-friendly format, easy to learn quickly. -Batch billing. Enough said.

Cons

I would like to see more customizable reports, including reports based on custom fields. I would like to see the included fields be more customizable. (For example, instead of a dedicated field for "Office Phone" how about making it a telephone number field that can be specified as to whether it is for the client's home, office, mobile, etc., in much the same way as Contacts are handled in the Apple iOS?) At the very least, that field should be "Primary Phone" rather than "Office Phone." I would also like to see a messaging feature built into the Client Portal, so that messages can be sent back and forth to clients from within RocketMatter. Finally, I would like to have built in functions for automatically adding interest on past due balances when invoicing, as well as the ability to add a monthly fee based on a percentage of current billing. (These are functions that Abacus has built in, but I wouldn't even consider using Abacus at any point in the future.)

Jessica

Industry: Law Practice

Great for a small law firm

I've loved using this product, it's simple and keeps my firm organized.

Pros

Many features with Rocket Matter are similar to other software out there. I've sat through a lot of tutorials while considering making a switch, no reason in particular, just wanted to know if there was something better available. I will say the one thing I love about this product is it is very user friendly. Functions and features are consistently being added to make daily tasks easier. Our firm practices both criminal defense and plaintiff's work, the software works well for both. Tracking time, billing, calendaring, assigning tasks, everything is basically accessible anywhere you are in the system. I also love the layout, being able to customize, the drop-down feature helps keep me organized and the page clean. Customer service is also great, any issue I've ever had has been courteously addressed and followed up on.

Cons

I wish there was a way to track who put something in at what time, and if it was deleted or edited, who and at what time that happened. Would also love more integration with case law sites or software and possibly a way to save said case law to certain matters for easy access in the future. File storage seemed to be the main issue I noticed while looking into other products, however, for the price of Rocket Matter, what is offered is understandable.

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

When I joined the firm we were already using Rocket Matter, however, the reason I haven't switched is because of the value of the product.

Steve

July 2016

Awesome in the cloud practice management service!!!

Our law firm has been using Rocket Matter since 2012. Moving to the cloud was a bit of a learning curve for some of our staff, but they quickly caught on. Since then we have continued to grow in our overall usage of Rocket Matter features and functionality. As a result our firm productivity has increased greatly - particularly in the areas of capturing time and expenses. This in turn has improved our billing and relatedly impacted our profitability. Being able to quickly capture information and bill our clients translates into faster payment receipt because if the invoices don't go out timely, the less likely you are to receive payment anytime soon! Overall I can't see the firm ever moving away from in-the-cloud practice management software as it allows our staff to access and enter key information from anywhere - office, home, while traveling.

Pros

Ease of use. Available across numerous platforms. Accessible anywhere there is internet connectivity. UI appearance (aesthetics). "Spotlight" search and Advanced Search functionality. Customizable invoices (MS Word document format). Responsiveness of app/software. Friendly customer service reps who assist us with questions or issues that may arise.

Cons

Initially the reporting capabilities were rather limited in Rocket Matter, but have only improved steadily. Recent additions such as the advanced analytical reports are proving to be very useful tools for the firm owners to monitor the practice's "metrics".

Rogelio

July 2016

Rocket Matter is everything you need. And it is Great!

Rocket Matters (RM) is everything you need for your law office and most other practices. My company has been using it since around January 2013 and we are very happy with it. Before I have used ProLaw, Clio, and Abacuslaw but RM blows the others out of the water.

Pros

You can upload documents to every matter/case you have. You can put in transactions. This is specially useful so that any user can see what has been happening in the case. It is also very easy to read unlike ProLaw/Abacuslaw. The system feels clean and clutter free. The system is very easy to use. Adding documents/notes/transactions/billing is very useful. We love that we are able to add tags to matters. Very often you have case numbers, family members that are a part of the case but the name of the case is in someone else's name. Without these it is very difficult to match some correspondences to their cases. There is a build in time you can use to assist you with billing for what you are doing. RM is very easy to teach to new staff. Most things are self explanatory.

Cons

Very few. Sometimes when they redesign the system it can take some getting used to. But this is true of every program out there. And even then they give you over 30 days were you can try the new design and still go back to the old one if you have trouble with it. Sometimes the system can be slow. However this can be a combination of the computer and internet speed. Sometimes you can't duplicate case names. Which makes sense in a way since you don't want to confuse it with another case and make an error, but too often client's have the same name.

Brittany

Rocketmatter for Legal professionals

Overall, my experience with Rocket Matter has been very successful in navigating through the website and it is pretty self explanatory which helps when training new employees comes up.

Pros

The ease in using this software makes working to track time spent on cases flawless.

Cons

I least like that you have to manually input custom billing rates. I think an option to select a handful of cases to all set billing until we need to adjust cases due to increased or decreased billing per hour.

Catherine

Perfect for the Sole Practioner

Rocke Mmatter streamlined our billing process so that what used to take 4-5 days per month (I kid you not) with Quickbooks Professional for law offices , now takes a few hours.

Pros

1. Keeping track of time I think is the bane of all attorneys no matter how large the firm. I love that I can open a timer and save the work and come back to the same time if I get interrupted - which is always! 2. I love the client portal component and so do my clients, well with the exception that they frequently forget their log in information and have to obtain that from me. 3. Billing and payments are super easy. 4. The reports are easy to use.

Cons

1. That there is no email component that integrates the calendar with email. I wish the new text feature wasn't so expensive. For solo practitioners I just can't see that there is a good cost/need or want ratio. 2. I imagine if I wanted to get the most out of Rocket Matter it would take hours of me going through tutorials to fully understand all the functions. I really need to explore the document prep section. 3. Kanban - what is it for?

Reasons for choosing Rocket Matter

Honestly my former assistant tried other programs. Rocket Matter was the most user friendly.

McKenna

Industry: Law Practice

Rocket Matter makes my and my clients' lives easier

I love that I or my staff can look up anything we need to know about any case whenever we need to when a client calls; when we are on the go; or when working from home or on a trip. Uploaded documents and linking emails to a case on Rocketmatter makes every case file easy to find and use no matter where I am. It's like my whole filing cabinet is with me wherever I need it. And notes make digging through files for information or case status a thing of the past. I cannot tell you how much easier my life is since our firm has switched (and got my whole firm to switch) to Rocketmatter. Timekeeping woes are a thing of the past as I can enter time in my phone right from the courthouse. And billing takes 2 minutes instead of a whole day, with bills ready to be emailed or mailed to clients at a moment's notice. Clients really like the detailed, itemized statements Rocketmatter produces. The staff is responsive and ready to help.

Pros

Easy to use, keep everything organized, keeps me on track, increase communications between staff and attorneys, mobile.

Cons

The iPad app is very glitchy; two-way calendar syncing with iCal has long been difficult if not impossible; Syncing calendars with Google cal is glitchy; billing for large insurance companies (LEDES for example) is difficult; and the software can be slow at times depending on your access to high speed internet.

G Ware

Not just for Mac Users

This software does all it claims to do and does it well.

Pros

Many years ago Rocket matter was brought to my attention as a billing, time management and accounting tool for Mac users. Since then it has grown and has outgrown its reputation as a Mac program while not outgrowing its utility for Mac Users. My assistant uses a PC running Windows. My accountant works on Linux and everyone communicates flawlessly. I spend 80 percent of my work time on my iPad Pro and the remained In a MacBook Pro. The RM app which works with my iPad and iPhone enables me to log time from anywhere. The[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] of RM, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], came out of Ultimate Software which is the leader in Human Resources software.[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has hired world-class people to make RM the go-to case and time manager for lawyers and probably others.

Cons

Every now and then I make suggestions to Rocket Matter and its features. I would like to complain but RM in fact listens to its clients.

Replied April 2021

Mallory

Quality Software, Frequent Freezes

It allows us to easily track time and bill clients.

Pros

I like the ease of billing clients. I can do it from anywhere.

Cons

It freezes all the time. This is disruptive to my workday.

New job.

Response from Rocket Matter

Mallory, Thank you for your feedback! It makes us happy to know that you find our program easy to use. Regarding our speed, we are always looking for ways to increase our platform's performance. We will definitely make sure to pass along this info to our engineering team. If any problems persist, please be sure to reach out to our support team who can help perform some troubleshooting. You can reach us at support@rocketmatter.com or call us at 888-432-1529. Thanks again!

Replied May 2021

Jodi

September 2016

Great program for Solo/Small Firm setting

I have been using Rocket Matter for the past 4 years and have been extremely satisfied with it. In my previous big firm life we used a billing system that wasted more time than it saved and we didn't even use a case management system. Starting my own firm I knew that I wanted something better that would streamline my practice. Rocket Matter filled those needs, plus some. The billing side of Rocket Matter makes my invoicing process more efficient and accurate. I handle a wide range of cases, so I use all of the billing options, to include flat fee, hourly, and contingency, and I like that Rocket Matter is set up to handle each of them. The trust accounting features allow me to stay on top of my trust account and know which files will need to be replenished. The integration with LawPay allows my clients to pay their invoices quicker. And my clients enjoy the client portal nearly as much as I do. On the few occasions I have encountered difficulties I have been able to reach out to support and receive quick and accurate assistance. The only reason I gave it four stars on features is because there are two things I think could be improved - it would be great 1) if clients could upload documents to the client portal and 2) if the billing in contingency cases was easier to close out. I can't imagine running my firm without Rocket Matter by my side.

Kasey

July 2016

Rocket Matter makes it easy to make money

I have been using this program for a few years for my small firm and love it. It is very easy to get started, add a client and start billing. Creating your invoices is equally as easy. Most of all, their customer service has been above and beyond and I truly appreciate that. I had an issue a few years back that seemed complex and they went in to the system and made the fix ASAP and were very considerate of the stress it was causing me not to be able to do my billing.

Pros

The iPhone app makes it easy to track billing on the road The interface is very user friendly They are very responsive to customer concerns I worked for a firm as a legal secretary before I was an attorney. We had an issue with losing billing one month and the backup was corrupted. We had to work round the clock to recreate the billing to get paid that month. It was a nightmare. Having this saves money and headaches.

Rocket Matter