Smokeball Reviews

4.75 / 5 (181)

Our advisors have recommended this product 7 times in the last 30 days

• Pros

• "Definitely helped as far as organization of emails and other important documents. Easy to use and also has a speedy search engine."

• "It is intuitive and works seemlessly with Microsoft Word and Outlook; it provides excellent customer service; it is accessible from one's phone."

• "This software is easy to use and all of my staff love it. It improves our workflow, makes us more efficient and makes every day more enjoyable."

• Cons

• "They also lack CRM functionality that many other providers are offering. Their closed API also makes it difficult to integrate with other software providers."

• "They seem unconcerned about security issues that result. Fixing invoices is problematic."

• "No accounting or linking with QuickBooks. The offered document template set ups by their staff are poorly executed."

Browse Smokeball Reviews

Furqan from MST Law

SmallLaw Review

Overall, an excellent software and definitely worth considering for your law firm, especially if you handle real estate transactions.

Pros

1. Smokeball is an "everything" platform. We realized we were only using the other softwares for billing/invoicing, but found little use for them otherwise. Smokeball, on the other hand, is much more versatile. We track our to-dos there, create workflows, assign tasks/projects to others at the firm (it avoids the back-and-forth internal emails), share our draft documents with client through a secure portal, and much more! 2. If you are a real estate transactions law firm (as we are), Smokeball is the only platform specifically designed for that practice area. We love that it automatically calendars deadlines, has templates built in, and otherwise automates much of the closing process for us (and avoids costly mistakes such as missing a deadline).

Cons

1. Cost (yup, it's one of the more expensive options you'll find out there). But when evaluating options, the thought process should be whether you will save some time by implementing the features of the software. And if so, a few extra bucks monthly is well worth it. 2. A little glitchy at times. We sometimes would create an invoice but would not be able to load it or send to a client until the next day. I have no idea why this happens, though it hasnt been a big issue for us. 3. Requires you to invest a lot of time to set up to automate your documents and learn how to modify them as you go. But, again, it is time well spent.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Looking for a more versatile platform for legal management.

Brooke from Alexander & Ewert, LLC

I Love Smokeball

Pros

I love Smokeballs features. The document automation saves me time and headache with formatting. The integration features make sure that nothing I do is missing in the client files. The cases are always complete. the ease of integration for the products that I use is excellent and seamless. The time tracking capabilities help make sure that I don't miss a billable.

Cons

They recently updated the mobile software so it is more difficult to use on a tablet or my phone.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Because the feature were more robust and the billing time tracker is key.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

I didn't like the document automation of Practice Panther nearly as much as I like Smokeballs. The billing software in practice panther is not as user friendly as Smokeballs.

Nancy from Pridgen Bassett Law, LLC

It has been a god-send.

We have had a great experience with Smokeball thus far.

Pros

The feature that instigated our interest in Smokeball, and that keeps us loving the product, is the automatic time tracking feature. I'd literally been complaining for years that no one had figured out how to do this, and then we found Smokeball! So glad there are smart folks thinking through how a lawyer's practice, time keeping and billing can be streamlined.

Cons

I wish the billing system was integrated as part of the software instead of being separate (online).

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

We switched to Smokeball from PracticePanther because of the automatic time keeping feature in Smokeball.

Lee from Lee Pugh & Associates, PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

Smokeball does not have legal forms as advertised; and does not interact with G calendar

I foolishly jumped in and signed up for a one-year deal with Smokeball. After I explained the shortcomings of their product and my need to buy additional software to make their software work, I asked to be released from my one year contract. Somkeball denied the request. I would strongly look for a product that is less expensive and has some type of money back guarantee.

Pros

The staff is friendly and tries to assist.

Cons

I bought the software for the forms library that you could use in your practice. I am a small practitioner in Oklahoma. However, the forms library for Oklahoma, and most states, is non-existent. Smokeball costs more than other practice software packages. I purchased it for these forms, but had to buy forms elsewhere. Smokeball does not interact with Google products including Google calendar even with work-arounds. My work was all automated through Google calendar. I worked with trying to use the work-around recommended, but none worked. To use Smokeball, I would have had to buy additional soft-ware. This made the one stop shop advertised by Smokeball not work for me at all.

Response from Smokeball

Replied January 2020

I'm incredibly sorry to hear this, but want to clarify two points for any likeminded readers here: (1) It is true that we have more forms in some states than others. That's due to how many active users we have in each state; obviously as we grow in some states we add more forms. When users, say in Oklahoma, sign up and see that they need more forms, they can request that our dedicated Content team pull public forms and load them directly into Smokeball for all users to access. (2) It is true that we currently don't have direct integration with the Google suite. We do, however, integrate directly with MS Office products like Outlook and Word. Our Sales people in charge of demos should make this absolutely clear in initial conversations, and we will ensure that they continue to do so for all future consultations.

Patricia from Patricia C. Van Haren, attorney at law

So happy I made the switch

They made it easy to migrate from our other system despite the lack of cooperation from Abacus. They train the staff and make sure that we are aware of all features. Our productivity has increased significantly since leaving Abacus.

Pros

It automatically tracks your time and gives you time report through email. It is easy to link to your emails in the matters. You are able to customize workflows and documents. It integrates with Zoom and ring central. I am so happy that I changed to Smokeball

Cons

No cons to date. This product is easy to use and easy to learn. They are responsive when we have questions about the product.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Abacus was horrible. The glitches made work horribly unproductive and we were forced to get numerous work arounds to try to make our work process flow.

Sandra from Emerson Law Firm, LLC

Best practice management software!

Our firm literally cannot work without Smokeball. I am not exaggerating one bit when I tell you that it is as essential to our practice as air. When the pandemic began, other lawyers were struggling to figure out how to work from home. Luckily for us, Smokeball is everywhere we are. With help from Smokeball's cloud-based system, we were able to transition to working from home very quickly and easily. Thanks to Smokeball's features -- file notes, memos, timeline, phone messages, email tracking, and activity tracking -- it is easier than ever for multiple staff members to collaborate on a file even though they are not physically in the same space. The integration with InfoTrack/Docusign means that we obtain client signatures without even leaving our desks. And the document automation and contact database make working much easier and more productive in general! I highly recommend Smokeball to any small law firm.

Pros

Email tracking, file notes/timeline. These features make it so much easier for two or more people to collaborate on a file!

Cons

I wish that "to-do" tasks in the system would auto-delete if a matter is canceled or closed.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

I've tried Amicus and I know that Smokeball provides a much better and user-friendly experience.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Amicus Attorney is clunky, with way too much involved to get up and running. Also, it didn't have email tracking at the time. So it was a no-brainer to switch.

Richard from Reda | Ciprian | Magnone LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Great organziation for a small legal practice

A very positive experience. After dealing with another practice management suite from one of the large, uncaring legal publishing companies, it is a breath of fresh air to be able to work with people who are responsive to and care about our needs and how we work rather than how they want to force us to work.

Pros

Being able to corral the mountains of emails and documents that pass back and forth in a legal transaction is great.

Cons

At times, the online nature of the software means you are waiting a few heartbeats for a page to load up. It is not unbearable.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

The local support was a huge factor. It's great to deal with these folks.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

We purchased a lifetime license for Amicus and the people there implemented a change to the software that time limited it and they would not help us get it going and instead insisted on signing us up for a subscription based model. We left and would not pay them a dollar for their software.

Sarah from Sarah's Law Firm

Industry: Law Practice

Allows for easy systemization saves time increased profit

Smokeball is an excellent system that has allowed me to streamline my Estate Planning and Elder Law practice. They systems I have put in place through smokeball have allowed me to increase profit in each practice area. And my team can sleep well at night knowing things won't get missed or fall through the cracks.

Pros

Easy to use, easy to implement. Customer service is excellent they are always willing to improve their product and help with issues and questions. We have systemized every practice area so we don't forget steps and can sleep at night knowing the system has our back.

Cons

hybrid cloud and desktop was helpful in the beginning. It is nice to work when not online, however it slows the system a little and going completely cloud based would probably remedy that issue.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

It came down to customer service. they had the best team and the best service and they still do now ( 5 years later). I am still happy we went with Smokeball.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Needed a much more robust system. I have tired several and Smokeball still leads the pack.

Jessica from Lauren Taylor Law

Industry: Law Practice

The BEST software for small firms

We have two offices that are 200 miles apart, so the Communicate and Task features help us stay connected and working as a team. Our efficiency has grown, as well as the ability to keep up with retainer replenishments.

Pros

Smokeball is the best case management and billing software I've used during my 6 years as a paralegal. I am with a small firm, and my time is extremely important, so the AutoTime feature is my absolutely favorite part about Smokeball. It has saved me countless hours on billing.

Cons

The mobile app does not track your time, so we don't use it often. We have been told that Smokeball is working on that feature.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Cosmolex took up way too much of my time to do manual billing.

Spensyr Ann from The Lomnitzer Law Firm, P.A.

I am a happy Associate!

This is by far the easiest to use platform with the most robust time capturing options that I have ever used!

Pros

What a time saver! Smokeball is by far the easiest to use matter management and timekeeping platform I have used in my career. As an associate I really appreciate all the bells and whistles I can access that make the admin portions of my work (especially timekeeping) so much easier! This is a huge benefit to me, the firm, and our clients! And I can access it on my iPhone in a pinch!

Cons

I only wish the automatic time capturing also captured my time spent in research online and in Lexis! Then practice life would be such a breeze!

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

The firm decided to switch and I am a happy Associate!

Gitanjali from LaSusa & Deb, PLLC

Financing Scam

They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." The first account managers were amazing. Once we transferred all of our stuff and got used to the software. They started asking us for 3-5 year contracts paid up front with personal guarantors under the guise of them having to finance the contract. In other words even if you stop using their service you will personally have to still keep paying. They appear to have changed their business model from one that provides software to once that makes money off "lending money." Beware. I would stay away especially if you are a small firm.

Pros

User interface, Ease of Use, Accessibility

Cons

Customer support is lacking. Incompatible with VPN and other security software. They seem unconcerned about security issues that result. Fixing invoices is problematic.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Payment interface, email communication storage ease and document storage ease.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Firm is growing. Needed easy trust accounting.

Response from Smokeball

Replied March 2020

Thanks for being a client and leaving a review, Deb. Obviously hearing anything fall through the cracks is difficult to hear, and we'd love to work with you offline to regain your confidence. Until then, though, I can clear up your two primary concerns: (1) Security is our #1 priority. It's why all of our software, migrations, and transactions surpass bank-level security. Our secure AWS cloud servers ensure continuity and access without sacrificing data security. We do work with VPN, but ask that firms work with their account managers so that we can configure with your individual set-up. (2) We have the same pricing model as always. Firms are still welcome to sign up for 12-month contracts. Period. Clients are now given the option to lock in a low price for 36-months, but it is their call, not ours. And, of course, we never require (or offer) 5-year contracts. Again, we're incredibly sorry to hear any displeasure but want to work with you to turn this into a positive.

Andrew from Andrew J. Barovick, P.C.

A Good Investment

We are moving toward a paperless office, and have a better sense of organization, because with Smokeball, we know where everything is, and it's easy to find.

Pros

That it is cloud-based makes is usable anywhere: home, office, while traveling. That's especially important now, given the limitations imposed by Covid 19. I appreciate the ability to have all emails related to a case appear in the same place. I like the automation features, particularly for drafting quick letters.

Cons

There are still technical issues involving the relationship between Smokeball and Outlook, and even when everything works smoothly, which is most of the time, the loading of both programs takes a while.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Smokeball had more and better features than Clio and Practice Panther, though it costs more, too. And TrialWorks was more than we needed.

Response from Smokeball

Replied June 2020

Thanks for your positive response. We'll gladly admit to being a bit more than some competitors but we're also happy to point out that our users get more features and value for the price, too.

Sarah from Kurt A Johnson

Fantastic CRM

Awesome!

Pros

The tech support is spot-on and extremely reliable. The integration of Word & Outlook is very user-friendly. I became very familiar with the Automation, so I was able to modify my own forms very easily. The only downside to the software is that it is expensive and the price rises each year. The price goes up because there are so many new features that are added each year. We don't use most of the new features because our firm doesn't use many of the features for our area of law. The software that I do use is very reliable.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

We needed a little bit more integration and features.

Jamie from William E. Maddox, Jr., LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Great software for small law practice

We couldn't run our office without this software.

Pros

Ease of document automation, workflow set up, time & billing, integration with Office products.

Cons

It's automation in pdf is weird to me but I have not played with it or watched any webinars on it yet.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Cost, automation, client communication options, integration with Office.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Cost, automation, client communication options, integration with Office.

Sharon from Attorney Sharon Jackson

Great high tech automation but misses on basic options

I have gained a lot from using Smokeball, but I have had to give up things that I view as basic and simple needs in exchange. The company is open to hearing suggestions, but they are not quickly implemented. They are aware of the complaints that new users have, but they still don't discuss them in the sales demo. I would suggest buying one license only if you decide to try the software. You can add more later if you find that it works for you, but really use the software before adding more as it will take you a minute to realize all of the simple tasks it can't perform. If you have used other major software programs like Abacus or Practice Panther, you may not feel like the benefits are worth the hassle of the change. If this is your first case management system, you will be happy.

Pros

The integration with Microsoft Word and Outlook are great. Unlike other software programs, they work all the time and are easy to use. The templates and automation features help you save tremendous amounts of times doing routine work. The software does not crash and have bugs all the time like the previous software I used.

Cons

This is an out of the box, canned solution. Even on simple requests, ZERO customization is allowed. Also, they are HORRIBLE with allowing you to import data from other software systems. They basically expect each firm to just start over from scratch, other than importing contacts. This is crazy and unrealistic for small or large firms. Smokeball is a one size fits all tool that frequently falls short. It is very difficult to run reports. You have the ability to add labels and input data, but extremely limited ability to run reports to transform the data you have collected into useful information. During the demo, they show you nifty features like automated time keeping, but they neglect to tell you that if you turn on that feature, your invoices will get all messed up. You won't have the ability to itemize or discount each line item of work performed on the case, instead they group them together with a list of daily worked. There is a reason why they do not offer a try before you buy option or a month to month option. You have to sign up for a full year and then you are locked in.

Amber from Cohoon Legal

Industry: Law Practice

Great time tracking, billing and case management system

I have been extremely happy with the move to Smokeball over a year ago. My billing has increased and the usage of the system helps me coordinate and keep up with my case load.

Pros

The time tracking and integration with MS Outlook and Word.

Cons

The start up of the program takes a little bit.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

The training and integration with time tracking made it the best choice for my firm.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

More robust. Practice Panther was fine for billing and some minimal case management, but SB has it all and more. The time tracking alone pays for the difference in price.

Carrie from Smith & Turley

Smokeball is a Keeper.

Very positive. The software works and whenever there is even a small glitch, the Smokeball team is quick to fix the issue.

Pros

Ease of access across multiple devices. Ability to interface with staff to keep work product flowing.

Cons

Internet based, so if the Internet is down, we cannot work.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Smokeball has a fully integrated system and Clio required a lot of user programming to pull the parts together to work as a whole.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Amicus Attorney was very glitchy and the customer service was terrible.

Hannah from THE COOLIDGE LAW FIRM PLLC

Industry: Law Practice

More effective and productive work environment

The benefits of this program have overall created a more effective and productive work environment. The ability to create workflows and stages is very helpful and is used almost everyday. Missing deadlines while using this program are hard to come by.

Pros

The feature of being able to link Microsoft office with this program has assisted me greatly in the sense that it has minimized the process of completing tasks, preparing documents and emailing with clients. My favorite feature about this software is the ability to link client emails to the file it pertains to within Smokeball. This feature has minimized searching for Emails through my entire Email inbox, and additionally it has helped the firm cut costs on supplies, as we are not printing Emails for the paper file.

Cons

My least favorite feature about this software is the billing portion. My Office manager has had a less than great time attempting to transition to this software from Amicus, of which was the main software at the firm for 20 plus years. With that being said, the customer service help desk has been very helpful and working with this firm to create what we need.

Karen from Paulsen, Malec & Associates, Ltd.

Industry: Law Practice

Great Software for small law firms

Overall, Smokeball is a great program for large and small law firms. The ability to integrate e-mail, Word and Adobe is way better than the program we used to have, and the layout and organization is wonderful.

Pros

I love the ease of use and the ability to always have access to documents even after they are deleted. Nothing is ever lost. I also like the ease of converting documents to .pdf for filing with the court.

Cons

The biggest drawback for me is the inability to customize containers for info that we would use in our office setting. The information containers are set by the developer and even though we have input on what we would like to see, they do not always implement our suggestions because it would not be used widely by other users.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Amicus was terrible with customer service and was expensive for their support.

Dustin from Law Office of Dustin C. Lee, PC

Smokeball is Great

Great

Pros

Form suites, automatic time tracking, document generation using forms, email integrations.

Cons

Offline access to documents when they have not been saved locally already.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Better features, more time savings, it appeared I would receive better customer service (which turned out to be true).

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Calendaring errors caused by clio software that could not be addressed by their support team; additional features in Smokeball

Natasha from LONH

Great product but still lacking in essential features!

I have really enjoyed using this product and a have been a strong advocate from day one; however, I am concerned that they have not fixed this problem and I do not have the one capability that I need which is being able to get my emails and task while I’m in the car.

Pros

This software is easy to use and all of my staff love it! It improves our workflow, makes us more efficient and makes every day more enjoyable!

Cons

This software is lacking in one essential area – – you are unable to get your emails and task while on the go on your phone. I was told this app and feature works when I signed up for three years only to find out later that it does not work and the calendar is not very good either

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

I chose Smokeball because all the features, the efficiencies and the workflows. Overall I am pleased but disappointed and not having this major feature

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

I made the switch because the other program did not have the essential features that I needed

V. Diane from Gottemoller & Assoc.

Associate Attorney

Just about the time we got Smokeball we reduced our secretarial staff, so I was forced to prepare most of my own pleadings. Smokeball has made it possible for me to do so. I am always anxious to find out more about what Smokeball can do as, I suspect that I am only using a portion of the total functions available.

Pros

I like the fact that you can click on a file and easily find the document you are looking for; that it tracks your time and can easily be entered into Smokeball billing; that you can find documents by doing a search; that there is assess to the court forms of other jurisdictions and when opened, they are populated with the information in the file; that I am reminded daily about the tasks that I entered; I also like the communicate function which I just found.

Cons

I wish that I could print the memos that I prepare (although I found that I can send them through communicate); I wish there was more training with the pi functions (although I may have missed them); also I wish that I could print the task pages because I often make lists in the "Detail" box.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

The firm did. I really didn't use it much.

Response from Smokeball

Replied June 2020

Thanks for your glowing review. I've forwarded your questions to your account manager who will be in touch in case we can be more helpful getting everything just right!

Jennifer from Village Law Group

Industry: Law Practice

Great for small law firms

We've gotten more efficient and better at communications and organization. We can offer clients a better overall experience.

Pros

Smokeball really changed how our small firm runs. We are much more organized and efficient than ever before. Smokeball tech support is readily available and fantastic. There is so much functionality to what this software can do.

Cons

The only drawback is that if you sign your contract with a certain number of users, you can't drop below that number for that year. As a small business that grows and changes frequently, it's hard to know that if we happen to have 5 users when we sign our annual contract, we're paying for 5 users all year, even if we go down to 4 users or 3 users, etc.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Functionality, it seems intuitive and easy to use, easier to implement and get "buy-in" from the team

Edward C from Jensen & McDonald, an Association of Attorneys

An Invaluable Tool for Lawyers

Smokeball has increased my firm's ability to organize our client database and keep it updated and available on a moments notice.

Pros

The organization and accessibility Smokeball provides for my practice is invaluable. The integration of Word, Outlook, and the Smokeball overlay keeps all client matters easily organized and accessible from the cloud. Smokeball was integral for my practice to transition from paper heavy documents to a digitally based system. The ease of access provides on the spot support and client records by laptop or phone when at court or remote locations. As a bonus Smokeball integrates automatic billing through calendar and email events to help me keep track of billable hours. I am, and will continue to be, a dedicated and satisfied user.

Cons

The only con is the necessary time to input basic information on a client and client matter. However, once the initial input is complete it is transferable to new client matters.

Response from Smokeball

Replied June 2020

Thank you for this positive review. We love hearing the things that are working, but are also cognizant of the time it takes to input new data, too. We're always working to streamline this process for you. More to come!

Salvatore from Law Offices of Parente & Norem, P.C.

Great CRM for Law Firms

Pros

Smokeball is very helpful in streamlining processes and increasing efficiency. You can assign tasks to users and auto populate a procedure with deadlines and assignments. Very useful.

Cons

There are still some bugs with the reporting feature of the software but the developers and support are easily accessible to assist and they are working on updates and fixes.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

It was the only system that could be both cloud and local based.

Functionality and features

James from Dwyer & Coogan, P.C.

Good Product - Very customizable

Generally speaking, no serious problems.

Pros

We have access to all of our files during this remote work period. It is easy to scan & add documents to the files and keep them organized. The system syncs with Outlook and Word in order to communicate through E-mail and create documents. The feature to create letters with our letterhead pre-loaded is great. The overall system give us a lot of options. We do not use the billing features because of our contingency-fee work. And I think we could use it more for client expenses if we work to train everyone and implement that. It is a good system.

Cons

It is expensive. I believe that it's worth what we pay, but it is not inexpensive.

Response from Smokeball

Replied June 2020

Thanks for the positive review, James. We understand that our price appears higher than our competitors, but we hope the value is worth it. Likewise our product is alone in the market in being all-in-one. So while others offer free trials and cheap entry-level packages, they are actually more expensive once you add all of their add-ons to get to Smokeball's level of functionality. And even then you won't get the personal account management and service we promise to our users!

Dean from Guthrie & Brady

Great system for big or small

One of the most impressive items is that we can answer a call from a client whether it is our matter or not, we can communicate with our client giving them what they called for without delay. We have had other firms ask what we use as they were impressed with are detailed fast response.

Pros

We are a law firm in the Chicagoland area, it is such a relief to have all of our communications and files in one location so that all of us can share the data at any time. Having the court forms at our finger tips, not having to go to each county is such a time saver. We have only scratched the surface using the many efficiency's that are offered.

Cons

Sometimes, when the documents are populating they could load just a tad quicker.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

The customer service team is second to none. No matter what you need or problem you may bump into, they have the answers to make it right, with a nice disposition. That in itself is worth it. I think we were one of the first in the Chicagoland area and I have never be reluctant to recommend Smokeball.

Marianne from Robert J. Wagner, P.C.

Industry: Law Practice

Smokeball is Desparate for your money

Our firm has used Smokeball legal software since 2016. We have had 2 licenses which we paid for monthly/yearly. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] in our firm, passed away unexpectedly in December, 2019 at age 64. Our open cases were referred to outside counsel. The practice was closed on March 31, 2020. I have been working with Smokeball in a round-about way since the beginning of March. Smokeball refuses to refund the unused portion of our license renewal which is approximately 1 year, over $2,000. No one is using the Smokeball licenses and they have not been used for 3 months. User beware. I feel this is a scam. This could happen to you!

Pros

The best feature is being able to e-file directly from the matter.

Cons

Customer service passes you from one person to another. No one can answer your questions. Terrible customer service. When I asked to have our files backed up to close the account, 92 files did not come over.

Response from Smokeball

Replied July 2020

I'm very sorry to read this. We're aware of this case, and I've escalated it in order to address it as quickly as possible. Of course we're terribly sorry for the circumstances, but we can assure you that we're neither desperate for your money nor a scam; this is an unfortunate case that we'll do our best to assuage.

Leigh from O'Dell O'Neal Hungerford & Blanchard PC

Smokeball Makes My Work Life Easy

I cannot say enough good things about the customer service. The representatives are very knowledgeable about the product and extremely responsive to their customers’ need. Several times, when there wasn’t a solution to my issue, they submitted a work ticket and “created” the solution.

Pros

Our office (small family law firm) loves Smokeball! As a paralegal, my favorite features are the form automation, automatic time tracking and billing entries, the integration with my calendar, file management, and my absolute favorites - the Tasks and Daily Digest Pane features. Attorneys can assign tasks to other members of their teams, which can then be broken down into subtasks to create simple to-do lists. The Daily Digest Pane displays your schedule for the day, making it so easy to track your current and upcoming tasks in a quick glance. I also love the feature that allows you to search for specific words within saved documents (not just words in document titles).

Cons

I love the secure link feature that allows you to send documents to external parties. However, while it's easy on my end, the recipients routinely call me for help and instructions because they can't figure out how to access the documents.

Kelly from Testa Law Firm, P.C.

Smokeball - get it!

Great

Pros

I would have to say customer service is their best attribute. You never have to wait for a live person or have to wait for a response. They are very knowledgeable and on their game at all times

Cons

There are a couple areas in the calendaring spots that could be better tailored so you could change the categories, and in boost billing, you should be able to see the operating retainer balance as well as the trust balance

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

It was better tailored for our circumstances

Jill from Cassidy & Mueller P.C.

Recommendations for Smokeball

Smokeball has brought our files and materials together in one place. Attorney A doesn't keep his files in one place, then Attorney B keeps them in another. They are all accessible to everyone in the office, no matter is they are working in-house, at home or in court.

Pros

The administrative assistant staffing was definitely frustrated in the beginning of using Smokeball. After using it for 2+ years, the staff will fight to keep it. Access of files and documents from attorney to attorney and staff to staff is so convenient. Documents, notes, calendars, etc. are all kept in one area, which saves going from one program to another to access documents and calendars.

Cons

The setup of getting all office files installed took awhile for us to set up. Also, we don't use many of the templates that Smokeball offers. Another con is that some of our users are unwilling to learn Smokeball even though they have been offered training and Smokeball is very willing to train.

Peter from Klose & Associates, PC

Industry: Law Practice

I don't know how you practice in a small firm without this product!

I truly don't know how any small firm practices without Smokeball. I purchased Smokeball for the email tacking capabilities, but pay for because I capture ever minute of my time on a time. Just one hour covers the monthly cost. I can barely return emails outside the system because I am so addicted to the cloud based tracking of all file activities. I can securely transfer large files, encrypt messages, and automate every day forms. i think I am NY's biggest fan of this small office management software! I don't even use all of its functions.

Pros

I can multitask so easily by opening multiple matters at a time-- can handle 50% more files and matters because of this product. They finally upgraded their iphone App-- now truly portable!

Cons

I am not trying to be contrite, but there are very few "least" likes about this product. Some of my clients hae problems utilizing their encryption tools called "communicate" because it requires google Chrome, but most figure it out-- I would use it more if it worked more seemlessly.

Letisha from Letisha Luecking, P.C.

Excellent product!

Implementation was super smooth and the support people are so responsive and helpful. It's amazing!

Pros

Smokeball is great because of it's auto document generation, billing integration, calendaring and tasking system, calendar integration, email integration, document version tracking, and work flow set ups.

Cons

The cost is high but that's really to be expected with how much you are getting out of this software.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Auto document generation was the main factor.

Tondalaya from The Lloyd law firm

Smokeball is great

Pros

It’s robust and had a lot of tools to help manage your law office from automated forms to billing to filing

Cons

In the automation screen I would like a search button so I can’t watch for the input would like to add

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

I was a new lawyer and needed all the forms and Smokeball already had them installed

Response from Smokeball

Replied June 2020

Thank you for the glowing review! I'll forward your question to our development team to see what we can do about making the interface even more useful in the future.

Sidney from Taylor & Taylor Law Firm

Smokeball

Awesome!!

Pros

The is software is extremely user friendly. It saves a ton of time with templates for documents you regularly draft. Also, the absolute best part is the app you can download on smartphone which lets you access your files anywhere and anytime.

Cons

Honestly nothing. Smokeball is a huge time saver and I am so glad our firm did the switch.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

The partners at the firm decided on that switch and I am so glad they did

David from Crosson & Richetti, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

GREAT product with ease of use!!

Overall, it's been great! Such an easy program to use and very thorough!

Pros

The ease of use is awesome! Document automation is also great!! It's easy to track nearly everything. In essence, it does the job and more!

Cons

It's difficult to switch from Plaintiff to Defendant if you open a case the wrong way, especially if you already have a lot of information in the case.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

I liked the many additional features that Smokeball had over Clio at the time I switched.

Response from Smokeball

Replied July 2020

Thanks for your positive review, David. I'll pass your comment on to the development team. In the meantime please reach out if we can do anything additional.

Stephanie from Wakeman Law Group, PC

All in one

The law office I work at started using Smoke Ball about 5 years ago. I was hesitant at first because there's a lot to it and change is hard. Now I completely love that there are a lot of components to it. I absolutely love that SB is integrated with Outlook to save emails right to the client matter, this way I never forget to save them. Smoke Ball has local & state court forms that pull the information from the client matter and add it to the documents for you. They can also create your own documents for you. For example, if there is a certain letter or form that you use, they will create it. It is also very easy to e-file documents with the integration of Info Track. I am looking forward to other implementations of integrations with other products in the near future. It is so nice having one program that you use for emails, calendar, case management, and e-filing.

Pros

I love the fact that Smoke Ball is able to integrate with e-filing programs and Outlook for contacts and the calendar.

Cons

Sometimes it's a little slow, but that could be our internet.

Jeffrey from MARTIN LAW, LLC

My Smokeball Experience

Simplicity of creating documents, ease of tracking deadlines with reminders

Pros

Several features: Self populating documents, ability to download any document to my, responsive customer service.

Cons

Sometimes WORD interferes with the software.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Clio did not have self-populating documents.

Response from Smokeball

Replied June 2020

Thank you for this lovely review, Jeffrey. We'll continue to squash bugs and make sure everything is working optimally for you at all times.

Skiles from Patriot Legal Group

Productivity and Document Automation

Productivity increases by using Smokeball and document automation features are far superior than any other system I've looked at.

Pros

Document automation is critical to create documents and updating document fields when someone changes their address is super easy.

Cons

Integration with other software suites is lacking, but they are working on it. i.e. Salesforce, Hubspot, Office 365 Online.

Document automation

Kristie from Murphy Legal

Outstanding Customer Service

EXCELLENT! Smokeball support staff goes above and beyond. They always follow up to ensure all issues have been resolved and are functioning correctly.

Pros

The ease of adding billing entries at the same time you are drafting your form.

Cons

After entering your case information you cannot go back and change the parties around without having to delete the case and start over.

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Customization to our needs.

Brenda from Cassidy & Mueller, P.C.

Makes work easier

Overall, my experience has been good. I would highly recommend this system to any office. It really does help keep files and documents organized and is easy to use.

Pros

This is a great system. It's easy to use and has a lot of useful features. What I really like is once you have entered a contact for one matter, it's in the system and you don't have to re-enter the same information again. Merging several documents into one large document is made simple too. Also, editing PDF documents is super easy.

Cons

Getting started with this system can be time consuming. Having to enter in all the information from each case took a long time.

Response from Smokeball

Replied June 2020

Thanks for this positive review. We understand the investment required to learn and set up a new system, but we're also positive that the investment pays for itself over time. Please let us know if there are things we can do to help you realize this investment sooner.

Chad from Kaplan & Frese, LLP

Great product

Excellent t

Pros

Great product to keep documents organized. Timekeeping functions and AI are spectacular

Cons

I wish the app was a bit more useable. For instance I cannot link an email sent from my mobile device to a specific client

Reasons for Choosing Smokeball

Seemed to be a product that could grow with us. Wanted better to earn our business

Needed a better product

Letisha from Letisha Luecking Orlet, P.C.

Absolutely the best!

This software enables me to run my business much more efficiently and accurately.

Pros

Smokeball is really wonderful and made a positive impact on my practice! The automation function is perfect. The auto time tracking and boost billing functions take Smokeball to the next level. It is hard to identify just one thing that I like most because everything about this software is amazing. It really has made my practice run smoothly and increased efficiency in my office. I converted from MyCase to Smokeball and the process was simple and relatively fast. I am so much happier with Smokeball! The customer service is out of this world as well. My account administrator took care of me every step of the way and made sure that I understood the process. She checked in on me to see how the conversion was going and did not hesitate to help me in any way.

Cons

I cannot think of anything I do not like or that I like least. Every once in awhile, the system runs slowly and it seems that my documents do not sync quickly. But, that is really it. There is nothing to complain about because this software is so intuitive and easy to use.

Jennifer from McHenry County Law LLC

Real Estate Review

I have never had a software program like this, it is invaluable and I hope whereever I go in law, they have it.

Pros

The features in real estate are extremely helpful. The searching feature in the tab bar in the matter saves me every time. When I am on the phone with a client, I can look up information as they are asking me for it. It makes our office act compteley and fast. The formatting for letters or orders that I have made for ordering title, well and septic or addendums, etc. is truly amazing. In 2 seconds I can have an order out or an email sent with attachments.

Cons

Sometimes smokeball will glitch up with Word or take a while to respond but it's only a few seconds; I am spoiled with how fast smokeball is.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

Smokeball was here before I started working here 3 years ago.

Dorene from Law Office of Dorene A. Kuffer, P.C.

Great Case Management Software

Pros

Integration with Microsoft Products; form and document assembly; ability to communicate with clients and share docs through the Communicate Portal; Workflows, steps, the openness of the team to add features and support their clients.

Cons

No sales tax calculation makes me unable to use the billing feature.

Sandra from Sandra J. Buzney Co., LPA

Benefits of using Smokeball

We have been able to minimize our paper files Enhances efficiency and tracking billable time

Pros

Integration of client information, document creation, and billing

Cons

Often files must be saved to computer hard drive and then transferred into the matter

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

More functional for our needs and competitive pricing

Steven from Law Offices of SHS

Best Law Office Software I've Ever Used

Smokeball helped me switch from a clunky, analog filing system (literally consisting of a few cabinets and the majority of free space on my desks) to a smooth, efficient and effective all-in-one application that satisfied my criteria for filing, communication, a calendar, and so much more.

Pros

The product is extremely intuitive and easy to master. The software is continually being updated with new features and perks. The help team is responsive and understanding. All around a top-tier application.

Cons

The only downsides to this software are small, personal nitpicks I have found with certain functions, such as scanning a document or converting a file to a pdf. However, 9/10 times, these issues have been fixed in the next update or the support team was able to help me resolve my problem quickly and painlessly.

Nicholas from Block Legal Services

Outstanding Product

Wonderful company, very responsive to requests and support issues. Great product, wish I would have had this years ago.

Pros

Great client management system. Billing software works well too. Document generation and templates are also good.

Cons

Integration with other apps still need to be worked out. Mobile software could be more robust.

Reasons for Switching to Smokeball

More user friendly, integration between billing and client management and leads, document generation a plus.

Ed from VILLAGE LAW OFFICES LLC

Smokeball can help

Very good. I can't speak to a larger firm but as a small/solo firm it is a very good time saver and organization tool.

Pros

Smokeball has made my practice more efficient and allowed me to streamline work in such a way that I can do more to get work out in a shorter time. It has also helped keep me organized. The customer service and training has been great.

Cons

Data entry can be time consuming but useful as hub for moving the data across work product.

Todd from Ogar & Miller

Smokeball

Pros

We went from no firmware to using Smokeball. It has been a godsend. After the initial learning curve, the program is very easy to use and has dramatically streamlined our practice.

Cons

The billing feature seems cumbersome. I haven't really had time to get to know it.