All Smokeball Reviews

Law Practice, 2 - 10 employees

Used unspecified

Reviewed April 2024

Smokeball makes managing a legal practice simple.

Furqan

SmallLaw Review

Overall, an excellent software and definitely worth considering for your law firm, especially if you handle real estate transactions.

PROS

1. Smokeball is an "everything" platform. We realized we were only using the other softwares for billing/invoicing, but found little use for them otherwise. Smokeball, on the other hand, is much more versatile. We track our to-dos there, create workflows, assign tasks/projects to others at the firm (it avoids the back-and-forth internal emails), share our draft documents with client through a secure portal, and much more! 2. If you are a real estate transactions law firm (as we are), Smokeball is the only platform specifically designed for that practice area. We love that it automatically calendars deadlines, has templates built in, and otherwise automates much of the closing process for us (and avoids costly mistakes such as missing a deadline).

CONS

1. Cost (yup, it's one of the more expensive options you'll find out there). But when evaluating options, the thought process should be whether you will save some time by implementing the features of the software. And if so, a few extra bucks monthly is well worth it. 2. A little glitchy at times. We sometimes would create an invoice but would not be able to load it or send to a client until the next day. I have no idea why this happens, though it hasnt been a big issue for us. 3. Requires you to invest a lot of time to set up to automate your documents and learn how to modify them as you go. But, again, it is time well spent.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

Looking for a more versatile platform for legal management.

Thanks for the review, Furqan.

Replied June 2022

Timothy

Reviewed August 2023

Small Elder Law Practice

More efficient, able to handle more business in less time.

PROS

It took a while, but once I understood how things work it made it easy to manage my client workload. Before I would lose track of matters where the client should have gotten back to me and didn't. Now with tasks it is easy to keep track. Also like the billing options and the automation. I am much more efficient than before.

CONS

Still getting used to billing hourly. I like that it tracks my time, but the entries are not good for billing as difficult for a client to understand. Also wish I could have converted Time Matters client to Smokeball easily. It would have been expensive so I running two databases.

Reason for choosing Smokeball

Primarily automation and intuitive features. Plus I felt Smokeball as a newer product was constantly updating and upgrading and Clio seemed to have peaked.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

Time Matters was not being updated and had no automation capabilities. Billing was difficult. Keeping track of clients hard.

Thanks for your 5-star review, Timothy. So glad to hear that Smokeball is making you much more efficient than before and helping you handle more business in less time. If you ever have questions or need assistance, just a reminder that our Support and Training is available as part of your subscription.

Replied August 2023

Patrick B

Law Practice, 1 employee

Used monthly for less than 12 months

Reviewed March 2024

Do not use

Negative. Use MyCase instead. The year commitment was unbearable.

PROS

Not much. It wasn’t special and it costs too much

CONS

The annual contract and the refusal of the staff to listen to my complaints.

Reason for choosing Smokeball

I was promised products that did not work.

Sales pitch that was false. I hate Smokeball

We’re sorry to hear that your experience has been anything less than excellent, Patrick. In our 10+ years in business, we've rarely gotten this type of feedback. After receiving your inquiry about the contract term, our team reached out to see what issues you were facing but did not get a reply. Our goal is to deliver an excellent product and fantastic client service to help you run your best firm. We'd love to work with you to ensure you still have this experience as a Smokeball client. Your account manager will reach out to you shortly. Again, we apologize that your initial expectations did not align with your current experience and are eager to bring those two into alignment.

Replied March 2024

Reviewed February 2024

Great Case Management

PROS

I am delighted to share my positive experience with Smokeball, the case management system that has truly transformed the way I handle transactions in my legal practice. From the moment I integrated Smokeball into my workflow, I noticed a significant improvement in the efficiency and seamlessness of my transactions. The user-friendly interface and intuitive design make it incredibly easy to navigate through the intricacies of case management. Smokeball's comprehensive features have streamlined the entire process, allowing me to stay organized and focused on providing the best legal services to my clients. The automated tools have been a game-changer, saving me valuable time and ensuring accuracy in every transaction. The system's responsiveness and reliability have made it a trustworthy companion in my daily tasks. I appreciate the consistent updates and improvements, demonstrating Smokeball's commitment to staying ahead in the ever-evolving legal technology landscape. In summary, Smokeball has exceeded my expectations and has become an indispensable tool in my practice. I highly recommend it to fellow attorneys looking for a case management solution that not only meets but exceeds their needs.

CONS

Sometimes there is a lag. Also need more resources on training to complete your own documents.

Thanks for this 5-star review, Michael. We're thrilled that Smokeball is essential for your practice, helping you stay organized and efficient so you can deliver the best client experience. We're making some changes soon so any lag shouldn't be an issue!

Replied April 2024

Jonathan

Never Practice Without It

PROS

Complete end to end practice management solution. Fantastic tech support and client account managers. Constantly improving the product for users. Actually does legal template automation (caption and proof of service etc) as opposed to Clio.

CONS

Cost of entry seemed very steep on 3-year contract basis. Because Smokeball integrates with all accounting processes except for operating accounts payable there is a great deal of work to get it stood up. Both of these hurdles are surmountable and worthwhile given the excellent product and service.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

Clio was cheaper than Smokeball in 2020 but Clio did not deliver on document templating and automation. Smokeball does.

Thanks for your 5-star review, Jonathan. We're so glad that Smokeball is providing high-value, end-to-end solutions for your firm. We'll share your positive feedback with our client teams, who are always here for you!

Tabatha

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Smokeball Legal Software is leading the pack

Love Smokeball - I have been in the legal field for 18 years now and have worked with a number of different Legal Billing/Case Managment Programs. Smokeball, hands down, is leading the pack.

PROS

Time tracking, integration with Microsoft, intakes, Secure client portal, templates, document management system

CONS

I wish we had the option to create reports by selecting different fields.

Reason for choosing Smokeball

The time tracking aspect along with the ability to integrate with Microsoft programs.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

Thanks so much for your 5-star review, Tabatha. Love to hear that you're using so many features from automatic time capture to integrations to intake forms. Sounds like Smokeball is a one-stop shop for your firm. And appreciate your feedback about the ability to create reports.

Mellissa

Reviewed December 2023

Game changer!

The productivity has increased. Training a new higher is so much easier and the features of Smokeball really allows you to set a Newby up for success! There are just to many amazing features that make the overall experience better than I could have ever expected!

PROS

Making my work product automatically generate on demand!

CONS

The Matter Types are not customizable and do not work for Texas cases.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

ProLaw was horrible! Simply saving a document to ProLaw took way more time that it should have. It was just not a functional as Smokeball!

We love hearing that Smokeball is a game-changer, Mellissa! If you have specific matter types or customizations you'd like to see, please let us know via "submit request" button at the URL below. We're continuously making updates and improvements to fit our clients' needs. https://support.smokeball.com/hc/en-us#footer-submit-ticket

Reviewed December 2023

Document automation is great with this software

It's been great. They have advance greatly over the years.

PROS

Document automation, storing emails with the matter, document organization.

CONS

When you schedule an event inside a matter, rather than on the calendar directly, it will not alert you that you have a conflict with your new appointment.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

More functionality with Smokeball. Easier to use.

Thanks so much for your 5-star review, John. Document automation is an amazing way to save time and errors. We're so glad you're leveraging this Smokeball feature. Thanks for your feedback on how events calendared inside a matter don't reveal a conflict. We'll share this with our product team!

Joseph

Reviewed November 2023

Smokeball has made a lasting impact

Overall, Smokeball has been a great addition to our firm and we thoroughly like it more than our previous case management software.

PROS

What I like most about Smokeball is that it is a user-friendly case management software that helps streamline workflow by integrating various interfaces, which significantly increases work productivity. Moreover, the automatics time tracking insures that I am making the most out of every document I draft, review, and revise.

CONS

The one thing I do not like about Smokeball is the timeframe it would take for their support team to create our templates into forms. Accordingly, my colleagues and I have had to divert billable time to create these "form" documents so that it further streamlines work productivity. Moreover, creating a "form" document is too simplified when certain forms require more complex coding.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

My employer made the switch to streamline work productivity by ensuring our ability to operate from a single software.

We're so glad that our user-friendly automatic time tracking, workflows, and document automation are helping you be organized and productive. We appreciate your feedback around the timeline for templates. We're working to decrease the turn-around times on these. Thanks for your review, Joseph!

Kristi

Best Legal Practice Software

Smokeball has been the best lawfirm software yet! We have gone through 3 others and finally found the one! It has everything and is easy to navigate. All of our files are stored online making it easy to work anywhere. I highly recommend!

PROS

All of our files are stored online making it easy to work anywhere. Form automation, court rules integration.

CONS

whenever we dislike something or want something to add to our program they typically implement it at some point with updates.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

Terrible programs, didn't do all that smokeball offers us

Kristi, so glad to hear that Smokeball is making your work easier and more integrated. Thanks for your 5-star review!

Sandra

Reviewed November 2020

Best practice management software!

Our firm literally cannot work without Smokeball. I am not exaggerating one bit when I tell you that it is as essential to our practice as air. When the pandemic began, other lawyers were struggling to figure out how to work from home. Luckily for us, Smokeball is everywhere we are. With help from Smokeball's cloud-based system, we were able to transition to working from home very quickly and easily. Thanks to Smokeball's features -- file notes, memos, timeline, phone messages, email tracking, and activity tracking -- it is easier than ever for multiple staff members to collaborate on a file even though they are not physically in the same space. The integration with InfoTrack/Docusign means that we obtain client signatures without even leaving our desks. And the document automation and contact database make working much easier and more productive in general! I highly recommend Smokeball to any small law firm.

PROS

Email tracking, file notes/timeline. These features make it so much easier for two or more people to collaborate on a file!

CONS

I wish that "to-do" tasks in the system would auto-delete if a matter is canceled or closed.

Reason for choosing Smokeball

I've tried Amicus and I know that Smokeball provides a much better and user-friendly experience.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

Amicus Attorney is clunky, with way too much involved to get up and running. Also, it didn't have email tracking at the time. So it was a no-brainer to switch.

Thanks for your feedback, Sandra.

Replied June 2022

Reviewed June 2020

Fantastic CRM

Awesome!

PROS

The tech support is spot-on and extremely reliable. The integration of Word & Outlook is very user-friendly. I became very familiar with the Automation, so I was able to modify my own forms very easily. The only downside to the software is that it is expensive and the price rises each year. The price goes up because there are so many new features that are added each year. We don't use most of the new features because our firm doesn't use many of the features for our area of law. The software that I do use is very reliable.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

We needed a little bit more integration and features.

Amber

Reviewed November 2020

Great time tracking, billing and case management system

I have been extremely happy with the move to Smokeball over a year ago. My billing has increased and the usage of the system helps me coordinate and keep up with my case load.

PROS

The time tracking and integration with MS Outlook and Word.

CONS

The start up of the program takes a little bit.

Reason for choosing Smokeball

The training and integration with time tracking made it the best choice for my firm.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

More robust. Practice Panther was fine for billing and some minimal case management, but SB has it all and more. The time tracking alone pays for the difference in price.

Carrie

Smokeball is a Keeper.

Very positive. The software works and whenever there is even a small glitch, the Smokeball team is quick to fix the issue.

PROS

Ease of access across multiple devices. Ability to interface with staff to keep work product flowing.

CONS

Internet based, so if the Internet is down, we cannot work.

Reason for choosing Smokeball

Smokeball has a fully integrated system and Clio required a lot of user programming to pull the parts together to work as a whole.

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

Amicus Attorney was very glitchy and the customer service was terrible.

Alan

Law Practice, 11-50 employees

Reviewed June 2023

If you are serious about case management, and wanted a billing program, that will blow your mind!

Fantastic!

PROS

Smokeball ability to track all of my activities throughout the day is a game changer. When they tell you it will pay for itself, they are not kidding. But they don’t tell you is how Smokeball intelligently generates to-the-second-accurate billing entries without the need for additional data entry.

CONS

I haven't found a feature that I do not like, but I have one client who doesn't want to use the communication portal, and an occasional opposing counsel who needs some assistance, accessing files set through the portal

Reason for choosing Smokeball

The billing features seemed impressive. (and they are.)

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

The other program indicated they would no longer be supporting the program into the future

Alan, thanks so much for your glowing review. We're thrilled you agree that Smokeball is a game changer that pays for itself. If you ever have feedback, please share with your account manager!

Replied June 2023

Natasha

Reviewed January 2020

Great product but still lacking in essential features!

I have really enjoyed using this product and a have been a strong advocate from day one; however, I am concerned that they have not fixed this problem and I do not have the one capability that I need which is being able to get my emails and task while I’m in the car.

PROS

This software is easy to use and all of my staff love it! It improves our workflow, makes us more efficient and makes every day more enjoyable!

CONS

This software is lacking in one essential area – – you are unable to get your emails and task while on the go on your phone. I was told this app and feature works when I signed up for three years only to find out later that it does not work and the calendar is not very good either

Reason for choosing Smokeball

I chose Smokeball because all the features, the efficiencies and the workflows. Overall I am pleased but disappointed and not having this major feature

Reasons for switching to Smokeball

I made the switch because the other program did not have the essential features that I needed