All TheraNest Reviews

Kelly

1 employee

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed May 2021

It has saved me time and headaches in keeping track of client appointments and payments.

Gary

Reviewed November 2018

All In with TheraNest

Our office was using one company for scheduling patients and patient notification (text messaging); one company for billing; and one company for notes which resulted in huge opportunities for human error; the specific needs of our office were not addressed with any one company. TheraNest addresses most of our office needs in one integrated program. Scheduling, appointment notifications, progress notes, billing, and ERA (eventually). I previewed the ERA and it looks like it will efficiently apply payments to billed services. I am very satisfied with TheraNest and strongly recommend it for other Behavioral Health providers.

PROS

Imported years of data from another system into TheraNest with no errors and very limited time commitment. Their customer support was very helpful and honest about the transition. TheraNest is full featured- Our office used a competitor program for 30+ years but wanted/needed a cloud based state of the art EHR program- Our office tried several other popular programs but they all had significant limitations. We are very excited about Theranest. Our Office is new to the program but so far so good. The customer support is excellent. They are adding features frequently, including specific features requested by users. The start up learning curve is doable and our staff picked it up in a few days versus weeks. The scheduling, pt. appointment notifications, calendar, and agenda are well thought out and fully integrated. The initial intake note and progress notes took some getting used too but they work very well- DX codes are easily entered and updated. The progress notes are very professional and signed and cosigned if necessary. I know this sounds like a paid advertisement but I have spent a lot of time, money and effort trying other programs and I was never more encouraged than with Theranest. Our goal was to be fully functional with the transition from our current system to Theranest by January 2019. We are ahead of schedule and our intention is to bill our first full month of receivables for November 2018.

CONS

The fees were initially off putting. But after becoming familiar with TheraNest, I see the potential for a very efficient, time saving, integrated system that is well worth the monthly investment. There is also flexibility with monthly billing based upon caseload (increasing or decreasing at discretion of the user) and it seems fair.

Thank you for the glowing review!! We are so happy to hear you and your team are enjoying TheraNest!

Replied December 2018

1 employee

Reviewed December 2021

from Great to Bad Greedy

Overall, I really liked theranest. I probably would have continued to use it because it was easy. I recommended it to my colleagues and some of them had signed up to it too! But it became too money hungry, too fast. Thanks for a bunch of other providers who made a Facebook group for this purpose only, some took the lead to try to talk with management...and that's that. So many providers switched to another EHR, and finally I did too. Normally, I don't write reviews but It was ethically and morally unacceptable, this left many providers to either pay the fees, use another software and pay that too or cut back on telehealth at a time when everyone was hurting financially. I think theranest would be good if you only plan to have a couple of clients and only use basic notes/assessments. Otherwise, you will find yourself paying fee increases often.

PROS

I've used this EHR since for about 5 years when I started my practice. I liked that it was simple: 1) The scheduler was easy to use, the notes were straightforward, the submitting of claims was a breeze. 2)I also liked that they have an app to download on your phone and clients would tell me it was easy for them to log on using their phones. 3)I also liked the simplicity of the calendar and the ability to print reports, client lists, etc. 4) Not sure if they were starting off as a new business at that time, but customer service was so responsive and seemed to care. 5)As I transitioned out of this platform, I really liked that they actually updated the ability to download complete files into one PDF!

CONS

Over the years it went from amazing to poor for a couple of reasons: 1) the customer service is really slow, it can take up to 2 days to resolve a simple issue or concern 2)You are able to create your own notes template, assessment templates, BUT if you do, these will not integrate with the rest, what do I mean? If you create your own custom, this does not work and you have to do all the steps each time. Oh, and when you download files, any custom templates, don't download with the rest of the file. You have to do it individually, for each client... 3)Telehealth is so bad. Either I would disconnect or my clients would disconnect for unknown reasons, so I just switched to Doxy for FREE. 4)They keep raising their fees! I understand that all business raise fees, but it seemed to be every so often. New feature, new fee. New feature, new issue to troubleshoot. 5) Last year, they sent emails asking providers to sign a BAA...I signed one in 2016, when I signed up, were they misplaced? I don't know, I had no answer to this, I didn't sign it, I had an old one in my files. 6) during the start of the pandemic, they raised their fees! For example from $10/month unlimited, to Standard Users: $12 / month for up to 30 one-hour sessions", each additional hour $1. (I have the emails too!) It seemed very unethical and poorly timed. I finally decided to download every single PDF client chart and switched.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

At the time, it was the easiest, simplest, and reasonable.

Reasons for switching to TheraNest

I started using this platform while still paying for theranest, while I transitioned. So far it has been about 6 months and I am so happy and so excited about it. The billing is sooo easy, I like the ability to make my own notes and assessment templates. I'm still in the 'honeymoon' stage, I really really hope that they don't disappoint. Customer service has been excellent. And they seem ethical and very reasonable.

Seneca

Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees

Reviewed August 2016

Select something else if you have more than one person in your office.

I do not understand where the rave reviews have come from for this software. My only guess is these reviews are from single clinician offices. If you have more than one clinician or a prescriber in your practice I would suggest selecting another software.

PROS

I like that you can send text reminders. It helps with the no show rate in our clinic. They have great customer service - but customer service only goes so far when the software isn't working correctly.

CONS

Form the scheduling to billing this software is riddled with functionality gaps and bugs. As a facility that have therapists and prescribing physicians the scheduling feature doesn't allow you to setup defined appointment times. Basic schedulers should allow you to define the types of appointments in your clinic and assign a time frame to them. This same functionality should extend to the TheraNest portal. Patients can go online and request any appointment time. For example an initial intake in our clinic with the psychiatrist is one hour. A patient can go line and find any available time (they typically find 15 min slots) and submit a request to schedule that time. This results in calling the patient back and finding a time. What's the point of allowing the patient to schedule/request a time if I have to call them back? I should be able to define an initial intake as an hour so my staff can't schedule that type of an appointment for less than an hour AND patients on the portal can't request an appointment for less than an hour. We finally shut the portal off because it was causing more work calling patients back then if they'd initially called and were scheduled from the get go. If you have any patients with co insurance get ready to spend an ungodly amount of time processing the secondary insurance. While they say they support secondary insurance they do not. You have to manually enter all of the information onto the claim for the secondary insurance.

Thanks for your feedback, Seneca. We were honest about our billing and client portal features from the start. We never mislead customers. We take qualifying customers seriously and encourage everyone to be transparent about their needs so we can help them determine if we'll be able to support those needs. All potential customers have a free 21-day trial period, to test the software in order to make an informed decision. We do as much as possible to support our customers and take all customer requests seriously, but the software is sold as-is, and we make no attempts to represent the software as something it isn't. Though we don't market our software to psychiatrists due to their unique needs, TheraNest seemed to initially be a good fit for you. However, your growth to a group psychiatry practice is something that TheraNest clearly is not meant to accommodate. We continue to improve our billing and client portal features and won't stop until they're flawless. Sincerely, TheraNest Team

Replied August 2016

Toy

Reviewed December 2019

A MUST HAVE!!

This software saves me so much administrative time! Using TheraNest, I also save by not having to hire a billing company! Billing is a matter of a few clicks! It is truly a MUST HAVE for private practice! The customer service and technical help are prompt, friendly and professional! It was easy to set up and get started using. The help database is amazing (videos and articles). I have referred three others because I am so impressed and enjoy using TheraNest! I researched and trialed others, and I am 100% happy with my decision to use TheraNest! Time saving TheraNest helps me get rest!!!

PROS

Easy to learn and use! Super user friendly and intuitive! Great value! Telehealth option with interactive worksheet feature!!! Has mobile app version. Calendar syncs with google calendar. Processing payments is a breeze! Forms and client portal save time and paper! Billing is quick and easy--few clicks and done! Reports are nice business management feature! Client reminders and self-scheduling options! Customer service is TOP NOTCH! Progress notes and treat

CONS

Honestly, I cannot think of any cons. I have nothing negative to say about TheraNest!

Price Features Interface User friendly Intuitive

Thank you so much for these wonderful words! We love to hear that you are enjoying TheraNest and referring us to your colleagues.

Replied January 2020

Christina

Reviewed October 2022

Best EHR/PMS for the money

I had never used an EHR/PMS in the past. (The company we left was still using paper files.) I can't believe how much easier it is to keep up with my paperwork. I am more organized and efficient. Thank you TheraNest!

PROS

When my business partner and I decided to go into private practice together in 2016 we looked at many different EHR/PMS software brands. I read reviews and did trials of the top 3. TheraNest was by far the most comprehensive, cost conscious, and easiest to use. They are always working on improving and expanding the functions and listen to customer feedback. I occasionally look at others to compare again, but TheraNest continues to be the best!

CONS

I wish it kept track of when I create and send invoices to clients. I have to download and save them in my files, so I can keep tack of when and if they were sent.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

TheraNest was by far the most comprehensive, cost conscious, and easiest to use. It meets my practice needs.

Lindsay

Reviewed June 2020

Favorite EHR System!

I am very happy with my experience with TheraNest. I feel secure knowing all my files are in one place and I can access from anywhere, anytime. Training staff is easy too with so many videos and articles to help train them on how to use the system.

PROS

The product is intuitive and easy to use. I love the note writing (can copy from last note), treatment planning (wiley system) and billing features. I love that TheraNest is constantly updating and making the system better and better!

CONS

Creating custom forms can be difficult. You can't copy and paste a document easily and have to re-create each one. Once you get used to it, it becomes easy just takes some learning :) Sometimes it takes a day or two to hear back from customer service if you use the chat feature.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

Yes! I did trials for these 3 programs and chose TheraNest!

Thank you for the review Lindsay! We are so honored to be your favorite EHR system. We will continue to work hard for you to earn that #1 spot.

Tyler

Reviewed October 2020

5 Stars

If you are wondering if you should, and you have spent hours searching like I have. You can stop. Theranest has got it all.

PROS

I have to say, I was scare to take on a venture of switching EHR’s. Our previous EHR was spectacular. Theranest was a lot to understand at first, and had way more features than our previous EHR. But within 1 week, we made a complete merge and once our platform was completed functional, the easiest part was bringing out clients over. The ease Theranest has instilled in their system makes it work every single penny spent.

CONS

I am not sure if any EHR does do this, but I wish merging our clients documents and implementing all of their information into our Theranest was a bit easier. But spend time getting used to the system and where everything is, and you’ll have no problem.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

TheraNest’s client portal. That’s what won.

Reasons for switching to TheraNest

To allow office staff more access to our clients and interacting with them so clinicians can do their job and not worry about the administration side.

Michelle

Reviewed October 2021

Theranest Supports my Private Practice

Overall, I really enjoy using Theranest for my EHR, & billing needs. Since it is all in one place, I am able to take care of these needs with ease.

PROS

It took me a bit to get to learn all the ins & outs of the software. However, on a personal level, I have to practice something until I am able to do it with ease. The Knowledge base in Theranest helped me look up anything I needed to learn to do and the instructions are very easy to follow, especially because they have videos to show you as well. Thus, it was in this way that it made learning how to navigate all the features with ease.

CONS

The process that was the most difficult, and still have not figured out is the APEX system, I thought I had gone through all the steps, but it still kept giving me trouble and then I gave up.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

I liked the aesthetics of TheraNest and it seemed more user friendly when I was doing the trial period for both products.

Chassidy

Reviewed January 2023

User Friendly EHR

PROS

I have used Theranest for over five years since starting my solo private practice. The ease of use has been outstanding. I have everything I need to keep organized records, appointments and invoices all in one place. I transitioned to providing Telehealth seamlessly with Theranest during the Covid pandemic as well.

CONS

There is really nothing I don't like about it.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

I thought TheraNest was more user friendly and customizable.

Dr. Holly

Reviewed December 2020

Depends On Your Needs

It was decent. They have superb customer service. I really liked how attentive they are to your needs and are very open to making sure your issues are resolved.

PROS

Uploading documents into client's charts was a breeze. It made it easy for my staff and I to review charts electronically. The calendar feature is very user-friendly.

CONS

It was very difficult to figure out how to co-sign on my staff notes. I needed this function and found it hard to set up. Setting up each staff person was a little difficult.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

TheraNest was affordable. It didn't charge me per staff as some other programs. That was financially feasible for me and my agency.

Kenneth

Reviewed March 2020

Great Reports - Slow to Nonexistent Customer Service

PROS

I really love the reports, especially the demographic reports (with pie charts even) that I can pull with this EHR. I also love the all-in-one pricing, in that I can have as many therapists as I want - pricing is based on number of clients, not therapists. This EHR is user-friendly, somewhat updated GUI (still lagging behind the times, but not bad), and easy enough to figure out on one's own.

CONS

Cons - truly - there is only one problem I have found in the limited time I have used TheraNest. If you need to contact customer support - good luck. Emails generally take a week or longer to receive a response and I have only spoken 1x to a live person by calling support - and I have called MANY times.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

I was really taken with TherapyNotes' reports and smooth operation. I love their pricing by clients rather than by staff. They do charge additional fees for Telehealth/clinician, but it's worth it to have an integrated client portal (with payment and signatures) and demographic reporting.

Reasons for switching to TheraNest

TherapyNotes was fairly expensive for the same features with fewer reports. SimplePractice was just way too expensive and nickel-and-dime every service or feature they offer.

We are glad you are finding the reporting so valuable, Kenneth! We heard you loud and clear, we've added several additional Support staff members to the TheraNest team to decrease wait times.

Kimberly

Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1 employee

Reviewed October 2021

Solid Records Management

The customer service is good and very responsive, I am just not wild about the expense.

PROS

I like that it is easy to see whether or not I completed my notes. Integrated Telehealth appointments.

CONS

There's not a lot of ability to see multiple calendar dates at once or move between dates. I get charged for every little thing.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

My partner liked it better than simple practice

Change in venue

Jinnifer

Reviewed March 2021

Counselor and administrator agree- get rid of TheraNest

I learned a lot having to figure things out on my own.

PROS

I liked the forms and templates. It was the first EHR software I had used. I did not have a comparison.

CONS

Billing is complicated. Forms are difficult to complete in session. Support is terrible. It was a chat. It took days, many times, to get a response and the response would not address the issue. Fees increased, but service and product were stagnant. When you want out, it is very difficult to export data and you have to pay them to store it.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

I liked the way you paid by number of clients because some of our therapists were part time.

Linda

Reviewed October 2022

Good Telehealth but poor customer service

I have lost quite of bit of money dealing with Theranest now dealing with their poor performance around timeliness in working my claims.

PROS

The Telehealth platform is the pretty decent with few session interruptions and great integration of the Wiley resources.

CONS

Customer service is poor. If you start to have a problem with anything and become dissatisfied with their attempt to resolve it. Forget it, they will make it difficult for you to get out of any contracts.

Reason for choosing TheraNest

The sales people talked a good game when I explained what I was looking for but abandoned by avoiding me once contracts were signed.

Reasons for switching to TheraNest

I thought I was going to be able to get better reports to manage my business but that has not worked out.

Kristi

Reviewed October 2019

Great EHR for a mental health group practice

I've been extremely happy since switching to TheraNest! It has streamlined our daily workflow and reduced time spent on many daily tasks from completion of clinical notes, sending invoices, collection of payment/client check in, accounts receivable and training current/new staff just to name a few. I've also received excellent customer support throughout the entire process from first inquiring about TheraNest to questions being answered the longer we work within it since fully switching over to it.

PROS

There are so many features I love about this software that benefit our therapists, admin staff, clients and myself in the role of owner such as handling the billing as well as setting up the software for my group practice. We were able to go almost fully paperless is one huge benefit. Intake forms/new client paperwork can be custom created & sent to clients via the Client Portal. Completed forms are uploaded directly into their case/e-chart. Clients also can see past & upcoming appts, update their insurance info & make payments in the Client Portal. Their payment history is accessible there too. Another feature that is a huge time saver is the assisted claims feature. ERA's are received into TN & are almost solely automatically posted to client accounts for you. No more logging into 7 different websites to access EOB's/ERA's. Other features we love are: two-way appt reminders via text (clients can confirm/cancel from texts & we receive those responses within TN), integrated credit card processing reducing check in times for clients & automatic payment collection due to securely store credit cards, Wiley treatment planner & progress notes, missing progress notes reports, online training videos and the UserVoice Forum. The TN development team regularly takes user feedback from the User Voice forum to continually make improvements to the software/features offered. I wish I had switched to TheraNest so much sooner from the archaic EHR I had been using for so long!

CONS

I did not like that I was not able to call to immediately speak to someone to learn more about the software vs having to schedule a time to do so. I was concerned that would be the process if there were issues that arose if I were to switch. It has been easy to call in, email, etc with questions and I've received answers pretty immediately from the support staff.

Reasons for switching to TheraNest

I switched because there were so many features missing and lacking from that archaic EHR so we sought out those features elsewhere; piecemealing together what we needed (web-based calendar, appt reminders, signing into all payer websites to access ERA's & manually apply all of the info, etc) at the time. Also, there were very minimal improvements to the software over the 7 years I utilized it.

Kristi thank you so much for your kind words! We are so happy to hear your organization is enjoying all the benefits of TheraNest!

Replied November 2019

Reviewed January 2020

TheraNest for Small Group Private Practice

Overall, I have truly valued using theranest for my work. It has been a wonderful system for practice management that I can do virtually everything I need to for my clinical practice. Once you’re familiar with the system, it is so easy to navigate through and complete the work in a timely manner. Although not without its frustrations, Theranest still has room to grow and develop. But I’m happy to wait along for the changes they have made.

PROS

TheraNest offers our practice the ability to effectively manage a caseload from all different sizes, and enables us to maintain confidentiality of patient information even across different users. I love that I don’t have to worry about someone else seeing the notes or appointment dates other than those who should. TheraNest’s template for progress notes, intakes, and treatment plans are super helpful in keeping me organized and making sure that I do not miss any information that needs to be documented. Additionally, I appreciate the software’s consistent updates that take into consideration feedback received from users like me. I was especially appreciative of their addition of separate gender identity and pronoun lines in the client details section.

CONS

Learning the software is difficult - wherein we notice a lot of people making errors in setting up appointments or being able to navigate through the site. We also find that few people use TheraNest the same way across the board, which creates some inconsistencies for us on billing and case management. Additionally, I have noticed minor fixes that could help to change the overall experience. For example, there’s no option for a user to cancel/change multiple appointments at one time; e.g., when a therapist is going out of town for a week. Also, there is no option to maintain a history of client demographic information, once you update the information (or the client does) it is gone. Lastly, there are seemingly no options to enter notes or addendums to notes that are signed or attached to a billed invoice. As a clinician, we notice mistakes at times and need to include additional comments like follow-ups with collaborative providers, client homework, etc. that would be best attached to the session note.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We appreciate your feedback, and we certainly agree there is always room to grow and improve! It is valuable customer feedback like yours that helps us continue to build upon the wonderful features we offer.

Kelley