• Pros

• "Used in a workers comp firm, and it was super useful. The notes and all functions are very useful and helpful."

• "I like that it is highly customizable, and for the most part user friendly. "

• "Love the calendar and how easy it is to add tasks or event to multiple users at once. This software has so much potential even regarding the clients database"

• Cons

• "So much to offer indeed, but then you would need a full week workshop for all employees to grasp how to use it all... which is obviously not doable..."

• "It takes a while to learn about the system and how it works. It would crash every Once in a while but it always worked. "

• "That it’s not cloud based and the accounting is not built in. "

Browse Time Matters Reviews

Mark A. from SIPPEL LAW FIRM PLLC

User since 1998; the merge processing features are the best out there, true relational database

Pros

As a long time computer user with 10 gig of forms and a general rural practice that covers most areas of law for small firms, the merge into templates is foundational to our practice. The calendar, separate matter and contact database with many to many relationships makes it possible to relate and connect important things. Customization of field names, visual record forms is superb. As a solo, we have huge contact database that allows for searches and organization. The sort select tabs allow you to organize by practice area. While having pre set codes and categories, you have the freedom to tailor the system to work the way you want. The customer support is beyond incredible, and they will take the time to get it right with you -- even escalating to a 2d level engineer if needed. The ability to go contact by contact, matter by matter, and then inside find the related data is huge. It also has a teaching and training history and materials that stand far above competitors. I have looked at other programs and find them to be "newbies" without the depth and sophistication of TM, that we rely on. I cannot forsee a transition out of TM to any other program that would work as well as it does TM has become my primary resource of my personal and business life, capturing and storing information that is accessible.

Cons

There is a learning curve. The sql database and search is slow compared to google. The integration with outlook will crash sometimes, requiring exiting both programs. We also have intermittent document merge crashes in Word Perfect that fix themselves after exiting both programs. Sometimes the conflict search is a bit slow. These are minor compared to everything else that works well.

Martin from Knepper & Stratton

Industry: Law Practice

We have used this software since 2000. Extremely customizable. Could not practice law without it.

Please see my review. This program is at the heart of our practice. We have a significant investment of time and resources in this program and to replace the customization and document creation would cost plus a significant amount of time and energy. If I were starting out new and picking a case management program for a plaintiffs personal injury practice I would probably pick a different case management program such as Houdini or Needles. However, whatever program I picked would have to allow me to have the program and my data reside on my own server. Online only data would be a deal breaker.

Pros

Program is better than negative reviews. We are plaintiffs P. I. firm with 8 users. All events, documents, notes, e-mails & contacts can be related to individual cases &/or each other. Since we have had this software since 2000 (Ver. 3) we have been able to customize the Time Matters entry forms for different cases, contacts & events which allows for customized document creation from each form. When event is entered it can create the appointment letter/e-mail to the client or participant, or the Notice of Deposition & subpoena, or the tickler for deadlines related to the event, etc. From the case screen we create all letters and pleadings for the case with the case particulars inserted into the documents. When documents are created they also can create "To-Dos" &/or "Mail" forms to track responses. All documents in a case or contact can be associated with & accessed from the program. All actions &/or contacts with anyone involved in the case can be tracked in the "Notes" forms which are tied to each case & contact. We are currently running Version 13 (even though we pay yearly support fee (AMP) which allows upgrading to the newest version at will). We use about 1/2 of the program features. We do not use the e-mail client or the billing features. The yearly support fee is less than we would have to pay if we went with cloud based solutions. We have called support less than 10 times In the 17 years we have used this program. Use a consultant when 1st installing program.

Cons

Steep learning curve for most. Once mastered not a problem. Need to use Consultant (C.I.C.) when 1st implementing and installing software, this will save you money down the road. TM Messenger does not work as documented and must be manually started on workstations. We do not use for telephone messaging as it is too cumbersome. Use program called Phoneslips instead. Only 1 attorney needs timekeeping and billing, she has stayed with Timeslips which predated Time Matters use. We do not use Billing Matters. Most of the web based complaints over the year have been about the e-mail client which comes with the program and Outlook integration. We do not use for e-mail, so we have not had these problems. For mobility use with mobile telephones need a hosted exchange server. When working remotely need to use a remote desktop program such as Log-me-in or Windows RDP and remote in to workstation. We have found that when we are having problems with Time Matters on a workstation, we need to exit all software and turn workstation off and let it sit for several minutes. Upon restart of the workstation the problem is usually gone. Do not upgrade to new version of Time Matteers until new version has been out for 6 mos. We will soon be upgrading to Version 16.3, as it now appears stable.

John from Law Office of John S. Razor

Industry: Law Practice

It used to be the way to go....not so much anymore

I am a formerly small firm, now solo. I have run the enterprise version on my own Windows SQL Server for the past 15-20 years. Setting the program up on the server took a little doing, as did several upgrades over the years, but I assume that has gotten easier now (maybe not though). The problem is I work a lot out of the office, and now that I don't have a dedicated staff member to enter in all my information (case, calendar, clients etc....) it has gotten out of date. Setting up the sync feature with my laptop never quite worked right, and as other reviewers point out there is no mobility. Frankly, I don't have time to spend monkeying around with the software. I need the software to assist me function, not the other way around. So, I am moving on to one of the cloud based services. I'd say Time Matters days are numbered.

Pros

Your data remains on your own server(s) and you can isolate it from the Internet thereby increasing security. However, that is also one of the flaws, as working remotely becomes an issue.

Cons

Lack of remote access, mobility, etc... It can be a complicated program to master.

L.D. from Lloyd D. Murray, Sr., Attorney at Law

Industry: Law Practice

Works Great at Office but Lacks in Mobile & Outside Office Abilities.

Overall I absolutely think that Time Matters delivers a wonderful product with tons of great features that are useful for everyone from Paralegals to Attorneys. The problem is nowadays it is not convenient or practical to only work in one's office or during regular business hours Mon - Fri, which means that other than with the limited online access I cannot utilize any of the terrific features without being at my computer in the office. And even with TM Mobility, while a huge help, is nothing more than remote access some docs, calendar viewing and to do tasks. This is definitely a huge shortcoming of the legal software and given how expensive it is there needs to be a serious expansion of features that can be accessed remotely and synced with mobile devices. I still give TM Four Stars because it is a very in-depth program but the fact I'm having to seek out additional software vendors because TM is woefully lacking in some crucial areas should give Lexis concern for future clients. I recommend this program still but have to ensure the (current) ways in which it fails completely / falls short.

Pros

File Specific Features allowing a wide range of possibilities with every case matter opened.

Cons

No way to work from home or out of the office. Even the (limited) mobile access is woefully lacking in functional features. Not saying I expect the ease and integration of programs like Clio but there practically nothing at this moment.

Stewart from Stewart M. Crane, Attorney at Law

TimeMatter!

I have used TimeMatters for more than 15 years, and I have recommended it to many colleagues in that time. I have yet to master all of its features. Upgrades are usually difficult, especially since they moved to Microsoft SQL Server Express for their back end. Backups are a huge pain due to Microsoft SQL Server Express. The feature set is huge. I will probably move to a cloud-based system because of the cost and for easier usability at multiple locations. It was a great product, but it is server-based with the extra costs of maintaining or renting a server. Those costs are quite large and should be a major factor in any decision to use TimeMatters.

Pros

the large feature set, integrations with other software, document management.

Cons

Difficulties with upgrades and backups, maintenance costs, server-based.

George from Law Offices

Industry: Law Practice

Was good many years ago before Lexis took over. Now, not so much.

Few , if any. Yes, it keeps track of matters and clients.-when it works well. Billing is cumbersome. I enjoyed avoiding work by having to spend hours on the phone with tech support.

Pros

It is powerful-if and when it works. It is a bit complicated on some tasks.

Cons

Crashes and hangs up often. Numerous "sql server issues". I tried to renew my annual maintenance agreement by clicking on the renew button before the end of the term Wouldn't work so I called and always had to leave a messages for weeks. Finally got through about 30 days after expiration They forced me to pay a "late renewal fee" on top of the annual fee even though they would never call me back timely to avoid late renewal. When I called to install most recent upgrade they had me install 16.2 (up from 15.1) that is buggy and known to cause issues-and they had removed it from their web site as a download. So, I had to call back and spent 3-4 hours on the phone with tech support. They had me remove TM and had me install and roll back to 16.1. Great-but, it wouldn't restore my last backup and now many records are incorrect-for example, all invoices and list of payments all shows the same name for all records. Why they had me upgrade to a known buggy version ( and then have me remove it) is a real mystery. Every program that I have had that was taken over by Lexis has become buggy and very expensive. Will look for something else. Too bad, before Lexis took over it worked well and was reasonably priced. Everything Lexis touches turns to expensive junk. Still waiting for "Engineer" to call back so I can use the program. Won't hold my breath. I fear I have lost many records that cannot be restored due to bugs in the program.

Stacey from Sharpe Law Firm

Industry: Law Practice

Before it was slightly counterinuitive, now it is also full of errors

Time Matters has always been expensive and of questionable value. We've gotten use to the devil we know, but when we upgraded, we had no idea how much more difficult things could get.

Pros

It was never perfect, but it was reliable. The formattable clipboards were handy.

Cons

What you click on in the calendar is never what comes up. It gets stuck. It has errors. It was never user friendly. To set up things like the clipboards, you have to have more of a programmer mindset because there's nothing about this application that works like anything else most people use.

Jason from Previant law firm

Heavy user

Excellent tickler and calendaring system. Very comprehensive contact management database

Pros

Great tickler system. Excellent comtact database. It is effective at sorting and printing reports.

Cons

This program tries to be so comprehensive it's bloated and difficult to optimize. This program is the gold starard and does everything well once the user fully optimizes it. My criticism is that this program is hard to optimize and utilize effectively for small firms. For the price point there are better programs for smaller firms to use efficiently.

Jason from Aging Options

Great Software for 1997, Not ideal for today

Pros

It has much of the functionality a law practice would need to function. It manages Matters, and allows the user to link documents, notes, emails, etc.

Cons

The software functions like it is still the year 1997. It has buggy plugins to Word, Adobe and Outlook that crash a lot. It needs a constant connection to the server and can't handle any internet connectivity issues. It doesn't work with mobile devices well.

Mary Ellen from Minton Firm

Time Matters- Review

Pros

Not much at all. I did not like anything except that it was quick.

Cons

It was very difficult to learn; had to learn it on my own; It could do so much but I could never figure out the system;

Reasons for Choosing Time Matters

Did not like it.

Love this program! Everything I need is all in one spot!

It helps us keep track of every attorney's busy schedule, whether it be for court conferences, in office client appointments, meetings with staff, meetings outside of the office, or any other appointment. It is easy to read and helps keep us organized as to where an attorney is and when. It also helps that all of our contact information can be stored all together in this program.

Pros

There are so many different features to this program. It holds all client, attorney, and court contact information in an easy to find system. I can also easily calendar all matters and link the tasks to the appropriate contact. There is also an easy daily calculator to count a certain amount of days. It is especially helpful when counting specific days to respond to orders and motions. Each person can even set up "to-do's" for themselves, without it showing on the daily calendars. I love how we can enter new client information in and keep track if we have spoken to them or not with the "consult" forms. We can tailor each category to make it hold specific information we want.

Cons

Sometimes the software can get tricky. It took me a little while to learn all of the ins and outs of the program. Sometimes certain tabs are missing when I open the program, so I have to take some time to find out where they are to open them again. It still takes me some time to find items in the program that I don't use every day.

Duy from Law Firm

Unreliable, Inaccurate, and Non-Responsive

Cons

This program advertises a ton of features, but (1) you pull your hair out trying to make it work, because it is not intuitive; (2) when you finally figure it out, it still doesn't work (see bugs, bugs, bugs below); and (3) even when there are no bugs you are left with a ho-hum, is this all? To this, add the fact that the software is full of bugs, bugs, bugs. The company has been alerted to some bugs for a decade and never fixed them. There are forums of users talking about bugs going back 5 or 6 version nos. This is the only program I know that cannot make a scroll bar work! Numbers are off - including in your trust account balances! The heavily-touted document merge feature has never worked reliably. The whole program crashes daily, multiple times. These crashes are very disruptive because you have to restart everything and figure out where you were. Sometimes the restarting takes 15 minutes and multiple tries. And that brings me to the central problem: This company making software for lawyers doesn't seem to understand software or lawyers. Other software makers will fix bugs before you even tell them. This one says, live with it. It really thinks lawyers can live with a mistake here, a mistake there? A missing comma? a few dollars off in a trust account? And the worst thing? You're stuck. Changing to another program is horrendously expensive, after all your sunk investment, training, and consultant fees. Best to just stay away.

Tristan from demartini and yi

doesnt need to be easy, needs to display law info, which it does effectively

i use this to enter documents and link them, it does its job without too much fluffm and i need the job done pronto, which it does

Pros

It is easy for lawyers and paralegals to use because they are trained for that type of stuff, its hard for a joe-schomo because they dont know anything about law

Cons

triggers take a long time to activate, program integration with outlook and adobe acrobat is usually good, but when you try to scroll down while your are linking the pdf to the time matters case, it closes. software integration for outlook take a while to load.

Adam from Spence | Brierley

Robust Product but not for mobility

Pros

Pros: - I have used TM since 2001. It is a program that allows for vast capture of information and management of that information. I have, for instance, emails, invoices and client notes that I can access from as early as 2001 with a few clicks of a button. - I do not use the document management system but I have heard people use it and really like it. - For collaboration, it can't be beaten. We can see all emails and notes for a matter created by staff and have staff search for information in those notes and emails for handling. - The to-do list and calendar are also very robust. - Its integration with Billing Matters is incredible and very useful in billing clients and tracking ARs.

Cons

CONS: - Difficult to learn and master. May need some training. Wizard windows and other user interface "devices" help greatly reduce the learning curve, however. - It is expensive for an upfront buy but then you can keep and use the same version for years (pay a third party for support when you need it). I figure I have saved thousands over other cloud based software systems since I haven't paid a monthly fee in 2 years. - Required to have a dedicated server and install SQL if you have a large database (mine goes back to 2001). - Seems like everyone is going cloud based. TM may and if they do, I will follow them.

Shawna from The O'Connell Law Firm

Industry: Law Practice

Excellent software to use if you run or work for a law firm!

It gives me easy access to all information related to our clients, including pleadings related to a case.

Pros

I like that you can house all of your contacts in Time Matters and save related pleadings to a matter for everyone in your practice to access. I like the matter linking feature as well.

Cons

If I had to complaint about one thing, I would say that because Time Matters has so many features/functions, it takes a while to learn the program. I struggled with linking the contacts to matters initially.

Easy enough to keep track of billing, but is this a solution we need?

If you really want an elaborate, automated system with detailed records to keep time, this program has got you covered. Maybe I'm old school or not, but the rest of us can just enter our time at the end of the day without any applications.

Pros

Being able to set up a list of tasks for the day and start them and stop them as I worked on them. The phone app also made it easy to get time into the system when my computer was otherwise busy.

Cons

This is micromanagement on an unnecessary level - just keep time! Having to fix things after the fact because you fat fingered something is flat out annoying. It tracks metrics on all users, but what is the point of all the data? If you have time to read all that, you should be billing hours.

I've had to use this software for work before.

Pros

TimeMatters is a good way to easily track the files and data required for legal cases, and makes legal practice management a fairly easy task.

Cons

TimeMatters has a very steep learning curve and requires a high level of training before usage can commence. Additionally, it can be hard for users to fix problems on their own, and various issues frequently require outside intervention.

This program is mostly terrible.

Tracking lots of deadlines.

Pros

It is very future rich. Most things that I wanted to do, I could. There are a lot of keyboard shortcuts.

Cons

My god, where do I begin? First, the interface looks like it was designed in 1998. Second, it frequently crashes, causing you to lose variable amount of data. Third, it has terrible integration with other programs, and doesn't easily interface with outlook, word, or acrobat. Although you can do a lot of different things, the way you do it is really counterintuitive.

Tiffani from McCabe Weisberg Conway llc

Time Matters-Right

Overall time matters works fairly easy and is very easy to navigate.

Pros

The pros for time matters is the ability to look at multiple files at once without having to close out others.

Cons

Cons about it is that it shutdown a lot if you click on something too many times.

It’s okay

For the most part it works well but it also has a lot of glitches and is not in the cloud.

Pros

I like that it is highly customizable, and for the most part user friendly.

Cons

That it’s not cloud based and the accounting is not built in.

So much to do, so much to see

Susana from Csj

Very easy to use

Susana from Law firm

Good for managing clients

Pros

I think it makes a great job managing calendars, reminders, and assigning tasks. Billing is somewhat complicated - it has not been as intuitive as one would think.

Cons

Not good as a cloud based storage, it crashes often.

Lorin from LTB, Inc.

Great system for managing your practice & cases

Pros

Exceptionally proficient in tracking time, managing documents, and automating your work flow. It's an older product, but still "keeping up" with all of the new case/practice management software's on the market. Very customizable to make it unique for your own practice.

Cons

Could use a couple more bells & whistles like automating deadlines. Otherwise, good value for money.

Time Matters Review

Pros

Very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons

Does not sync with other time management software products.

Richard from Blustein, Shapiro, Rich, & Barone, LLP

Industry: Law Practice

Antiquated program with zero customer support

As you can tell we're very unhappy with our Time Matters experience. We've had the program for a number of years, but will be moving on to an alternative system soon. Lexis/Nexis has ruined the program and seems uncaring about its users.

Pros

Reasonably easy to understand, with all the basic features needed for a general law practice

Cons

Very clunky to use, poor document management, no client portal (they used to have one but abandoned it when it didn't work). Technical support is miserable and uncaring

Excellent product

Nothing to say but it's true that this product works very smartly!

Pros

All issues are ensure highly professional and useful.

Cons

For well customization, that's why I am feeling very comfortable to use the product.

Irmita from Healthlabs

TIME MATTERS

I like that all of the users have access to everything, all can make changes and add notes.

Pros

I like that everyone can access my notes and see what has been done.

Cons

The font is too small and there is a limit on the amount of notes I can enter

Dan from badura & wintz law

Old and Clunky

Pros

I really have nothing good to say about Time Matters OTHER than it can still operate in a server based environment rather than clod based

Cons

lack of flexibility especially in formatting

Reasons for Choosing Time Matters

We were stupid and bought without a trial

Centralizes Everything in our Practice

It has been a very useful software. I'm not sure that we'll always stick with this software, but it has been useful and is definitely worth the investment.

Pros

My favorite element of Time Matters is how easy it is to centralize and congregate all of my different tasks (calendar, billing, email, etc). I haven't come across any other software that bundles everything together so neatly and effectively.

Cons

It has a much wider range of capabilities than what I utilize, but it's not easy to learn how to use the different features. It definitely takes a while to get used to the different functions. If I could change one thing, I would encourage the developers to do a complete overhaul of the "Help" section to better equip new users.

Zane from Reece Family Law, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

This product is not user friendly, is overly complicated, and customer service can't help.

Only a huge bill.

Pros

With a dedicated IT person to work with 40 hours a week, this program might be useful. Only a large firm would be capable to use.

Cons

The sales team sold this as an easy program to use for small firms. What a lie. It is complicated and when you need help, they try to charge you for assistance. Even their staff agrees it isn't for small or medium sized firms. It does not integrate well with Microsoft Programs either.

John from Dewey, Screwem & Howe

September 2014

Timematters has seen better days....RIP....was better before LexisNexis acquired

I have had Timematters for years, and initially it was great but has increased in cost while lacking in many features other programs have. If I wasn't so invested in it, I would change. Don't get me wrong, it has some good features, but is now unreliable for us. We have had constant problems with the program when it idles (it goes into a perpetual freeze). It didn't use to do this, and many calls to support have not resolved it.. Oh, and speaking of customer support, that would be calling someone in the Phillippines. Now they modem in, and aren't all bad, but they haven't fixed our persistent problem. And good luck getting a hold of anyone in the US to make suggestions for product improvement, 'cause that's not going to happen---I've tried. Cost has increased significantly since Lexis Nexis took over. Now you have to pay yearly maintenance fees which are like purchasing the software all over again (ok, that's SLIGHT exaggeration, as I'm actually paying the same amount I purchased it for 15 years ago----I know, its inflation...whatever). We are actually exploring other options now for the reasons outlined above....

John from Dewey, Screwem & Howe

Alexa from Attorney at law

Helps me keep track of billable hours

Pros

I like that it’s easy for me to track my billable hours and notify clients.

Cons

It’s a little costly. It’s worth the price for the convenience though.

Kimberly from County Attorney's Office

Started off well, ended bad

Pros

The organization of case matters, calendar features

Cons

The software was unreliable. Our office experienced software crashes on a daily basis towards the end of our use, and technical support was near impossible for our IT to reach.

Earl from Jackson Law

Not up to speed.

I have been using Time Matters since probably 2000. It has NO cloud accessibility to speak of. Oh, they got their "mobility" service. It truly sucks such that it is no service at all. The software. although pretty straight forward on your basic items - calendar, contacts, and cases, is clunky, prone to crashes, and with some features like document automation has never worked right. There is no manual. You can get after market training manuals or guides, but given the costs of this product you would think they would provide you all the tools you need to learn the features. It does have a ton of features. The billing software is awesome but from time to time just out of the blue seems to drop its pdf printer which means you can't reprint a client's bill. I'm moving. Just haven't decided where to go.

John from Gimbel, Reilly, Guerin & Brown

Time Matters Client Database

We use this program for our client database, contacts, archiving email and written documentation. This is generally a very seamless operation, but on occasion will fall in a "non-responsive" mode, which may require a reboot of the workstation. This is fairly infrequent, however.

William from Law Office of Bill Barbour

Industry: Law Practice

This program crashes all the time and is far too complicated

Actually, I have not gotten any benefits yet. I may throw in the towel.

Pros

The software is very customizable, so you can add colors and styles to almost everything. It can handle large amounts of data.

Cons

This program was purchased to replace Amicus Attorney, but it is too complicated and too all-encompassing. Also, it crashes all the time.

David from Broad and Cassel

Great tool for attorneys and staff

The attorneys I've worked with love this product and feel it's integral to their practice of law. They find it makes them more efficient and allows them functionality they don't otherwise have.

May 2016

Richard from Law Firm

May 2016

Best of the best - the First

TimeMatters is the preeminent law practice management program - does it all - does it the best. Windows based - with a cloud version - your cloud, your cost. Only wish it was ported to a Mac.

islam from Ramzy