Browse Westlaw Edge Reviews

Hard to beat Westlaw in any form

Overall it remains a top tool for legal research even if facing competition from some alternative sources.

Pros

Westlaw continues to innovate to improve research. This is important for those who are able to find free alternatives such as google scholar. However, access to gated sources, depending on the subscription, remains a compelling reason to maintain a traditional legal research tool such as Westlaw.

Cons

This remains probably the best legal research tool in the business but the ability to check if a source has been overturned is a bit better with other tools and it can become pricey.

Nicholas from Nicholas S. Lane, Esq.

Great Search, High Price

My research with Westlaw Edge is lightning fast, and I am confident I am not missing any authorities. I don't know what else one wants from a legal research platform, except maybe not to be the one paying the bill.

Pros

You get Westlaw because it has the best search algorithm in the legal research industry. That and you are trained to use KeyCite to find ALL of the cases on a particular issue. In short, it saves you time and gives you confidence that you have covered your bases.

Cons

It is too expensive for a solo practice.

Reasons for Choosing Westlaw Edge

For the reasons cited, speed, classic powerful features, coverage.

Greg from Donoghue & Associates

Industry: Law Practice

Good product. Too expensive for my needs compared to other products.

The product was very good and easy to use. I have no complaints in that department. But honestly, without meaning to offend Westlaw, they are not the 800 pound gorilla anymore. For my purposes they really have been replaced by much cheaper options that, for my purposes, work very efficiently. In fact I think what I'm using now is superior to Westlaw Edge and Westlaw Next at a fraction of the cost. I know it would be hard for them to revise their sales tactics as they worked for so long but us consumers have better options now. The HUGE fees for out of program searches were beyond absurd. The product I use now let's me use all jurisdictions and actually has an equal if not better search engine. Switching from Westlaw Edge was a no brainer for my firm.

Pros

Very easy to use and has a good search engine.

Cons

The cost was excessive. For a small firm Westlaw Edge was just not a good value compared to newer products on the market of equal quality. The built in price increases outstripped inflation and were not something that I could tolerate. The sales persons were continually changing and seemed to have a "my way or the highway" attitude. I chose the highway and I'm thrilled that I did as I was over West's sales and marketing tactics.

Reasons for Choosing Westlaw Edge

I liked it better and they had a better warning if you were to go out of program for a search.

Reasons for Switching to Westlaw Edge

I felt Westlaw suited my needs better.

John from The Law Office of John R. Crone, LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Great research, but far too expensive.

I found the product to perform as advertised but with a cost that was not justified. While happy with the product, I currently pay one-sixth the cost to a competitor (who also happens to provide a superior product).

Pros

The software works great in that it's easy to ensure you have completed comprehensive and exhaustive legal research on any given issue.

Cons

The problem with Westlaw Edge is that it's prohibitively expensive for all but corporate law firms that can bill their clients for large expenses on a regular basis. For a practitioner that represents individuals, as opposed to business entities, there are many alternate choices that provide the same or better product for much less.

Reasons for Choosing Westlaw Edge

I chose based purely upon Westlaw's reputation as a better provider of legal research.

Daniel from Dan Francis Law Firm PLL

Westlaw Edge. be sure to do your research before signing a contract

positive operational experience but for the cost.

Pros

Westlaw has always been a leader in legal research. This program, like others, is moving to artificial intelligence. the predictive type of research which will help identify the issues. it can help identify the issues but it is really a gatherer of materials that experienced attorneys have already identified. At times it can be overwhelming and too broad that it doesn't help because you have to whittle it down. I am generalizing because the program isn't that different from Lexis. both are improving the programs, each has the standard browser search engine. Westlaw does have something that is a huge asset. It has a wealth of library resources at its disposal so for the larger firms that have a large assortment of case types, it is superior. For the working blue collar attorney with a niche, the program is overkill. I love Westlaw, but sometimes bells and whistles make too much noise.

Cons

It costs too much to subscribe to and the add-on resources can surprise you at the end of the month. you are paying for a tool that is used to direct you to other products. Overhead is too critical to the smaller firm that this program prices itself out of range. it is a superior program, it is easy to use, it is informative and opens the deep door to their other resources but it cost too much for a firm with 5 or fewer attorneys.

Ryan from Bell, Davis & Pitt, P.A.

Essential for legal research

Pros

This is the best legal research platform by far -- it has search and organization functionality for those who need it, but doesn't bog the platform down with unnecessary fluff. The text is always front and center.

Cons

Sometimes the software struggles to maintain multiple tabs correctly.

Great Legal Research Program

I frequently need to conduct legal research as part of my job, and Westlaw Edge really helps make that easier. I am very satisfied with the way it works.

Pros

This is a very user friendly software that enables me to easily research legal issues for my job. It is a lot more intuitive and straightforward than the original Westlaw site, and even more so than "Westlaw Next" (which I believe is now called Westlaw Classic). There is a notification for each case whether there is any negative treatment, and clicking the flag will link to all cases mentioning the current case, with an analysis of how in-depth the current case was discussed.

Cons

There are so many features in it that I'm sure I'm not using it to the fullest potential. There is definitely training needed to be able to take full advantage of this software.

Jason from Law Office of Jason H. Rosenblum, PLLC

Too Expensive, so I Switched

Westlaw is a great product, but it is expensive. Today there are so many alternatives that are much more affordable alternative, that do not require a long term contract. Some of the alternatives do not have as many features as Westlaw, but if you don't need all those, like our firm, then the alternatives will be better solution.

Pros

Westlaw Edge is easy to use, if you know how to use any other legal research software you should be able to figure it out.

Cons

Cost- Westlaw is expensive, especially if you need something outside of your plan. To my knowledge all plans require at least a year long contract.

Dale from Casares Law LLC

Industry: Law Practice

Secondary sources and other research

Pros

Westlaw provides jury verdicts, case valuation, and an expert database that are helpful.

Cons

After a decade of using Westlaw on and off, I still feel the navigation through various sources is not intuitive. I also feel the headnotes aren't always helpful.

Research made simple

Westlaw Edge is user friendly and easy to navigate. I feel like I always immediately find what I am looking for and am put on notice when there may be issues with a case cite.

Pros

Cons

Nothing. Westlaw Edge is easy to use and makes my research needs simple. The case notes are also super helpful.

Too expensive and too many features for we do not use.

It was okay but eventually proved to be too expensive for what we needed.

Pros

Westlaw is a go-to in the legal industry and had a large number of features that were super helpful when I used them. Typically though, I just used the case law portion of our subscription and did not need these extra features.

Cons

User interface is complicated and I was frequently told that the basic research I was conducting required additional subscriptions.

AJ from Richman Law Firm

Industry: Law Practice

Easy to use, Easier to find case

Pros

I enjoy using Westlaw Edge because you can literally type sentences in and it will find what you need.

Cons

It's a little expensive. It also finds more cases than I think is necessary.

Lee from Lee Meadows LLC Attorney

Industry: Law Practice

Too expensive for a small law practice

Good but expensive.

Pros

Key cite was very helpful. Also, like the Shepard’s feature.

Cons

The length of the contract required and the cost.