• Pros

• "It's so powerful and easy to use! It was effortless to set up, and all our business users (who've never done customer support before), find it very easy to use, and the users love it too."

• "This has been a great product for communicating things to our users! Easy to use and has a great support team! "

• "Super flexible and easy to use. Lots of add on and very customasible. Good experience for the clients as well. "

• Cons

• "The chat feature is great on intercom, but it can be tricky to navigate and find things when trying to use other features. "

• "It can be hard to manage a ton of chats at once because there aren't a lot of ways to sort the chats and what not but overall I don't really have any complaints."

• "The pricing structure has gotten a little confusing over the years but can happen with a quickly innovating business"

Browse Intercom Reviews

Liam from Pinnacle 21

Not Much Competition

Everything has been fantastic from the Customer Success-led implementation process to it being deployed to our users. Multiple compliments on the feasibility of use since purchasing.

Pros

From both the administrative and user perspective, the ease of use and just overall depth of what you can create with the product is very impressive. It allows a great amount of customer support to be automated and simplify it's delivery via articles and a knowledge base that'll continually grow. Although it's not the biggest feature, as a user, I love that it's focused on getting you an answer/resolution the quickest way possible given the same entry method. Type "adding users" in an application with Intercom support will quickly both deliver you articles that can potentially solve your problem or will also quickly deploy a CSM to you to answer it directly in case it was a bit more complex. Best part though is the feedback cycle, you're typing exactly what you want to know into the application and if no articles return: New Content Topic.

Cons

Theres really not much. I've run into situations where it was wrongly applied within other organizations and not properly resourced, giving a less than average experience. But that's not as much specific to Intercom themselves. Given they are the industry leader, it can come at a premium for a larger organizations.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

The overall growth of the company and product over the past few years and the speed in which they've been able to push out updates and new features shows a lot of promise over their competitors. Honestly, the user experience that we had been encountering when coming upon sites and companies that were using Intercom was so positive that it was hard to not want to give that same experience to our users.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Overall compatibility with scaling of the company and support infrastructure. Not enough functionality to grow out an effective customer knowledge base that's as simple to approach for customers and internal content builders alike.

Engagement with Customers is Great!

It is an easy choice if you want to create unique, engaging customer journeys! It also connects to many other tools, so it's a great addition to any software stack.

Pros

I like that we are able to gain insight, offer promos, convert leads, provide support, host a help center, and create unique customer journeys right from within one platform. The Inbox feature is very helpful in providing quick and easy support, especially when using the Intercom mobile app!

Cons

There are few things I would consider cons about Intercom. I wish they offered a bit quicker support, as I often wait a day to hear back, but it is a minor detail compared to the value we get from using the platform.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

At the time, I believe Intercom had been around a bit longer, so offered features outside of just the support desk functionality.

Response from Intercom

Replied March 2021

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review and let us know how Intercom is helping you create unique, engaging customer journeys as well as integrate so well with your existing etch stack :) Thanks for your feedback regarding our support response times. These vary based on the urgency of the issue as well as plan, but we always aim to get back as soon as possible. I'll make sure to pass this feedback on to our team here. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Tasha from Hint Health

Awful product with terrible support

Support was terrible. They often provided 'create something custom through our API' as the solution to most of the inadequacies of the product. They also rarely listen or read the problem correctly and I would spend a bunch of time trying to implement the solution they provided only to find out it didn't meet any of the criteria I provided. You know its bad when a support tool lacks good support!

Pros

Admin interface is visually appealing. Widget is not.

Cons

Lacks basic/rudimentary functionality. Simple things like auto triggering a message at the company level when specific criteria is met is not possible. Tagging system is not easy to use and lacks basic features. Can't customize inboxes as needed. I felt like you product blog was so delightful that your product would be the same but it felt like you weren't living your word. Nothing was easy on this product.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Your product blog made it seem like you had solid product principles and thus a solid product. I found that not to be true once I started using it.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

My CEO didn't like how outdated some of their UI was. However, functionality wise it was far superior to intercom and I regret switching.

More than a messaging platform

We are using Intercom as our main costumer messaging platform in all our ends, from emails to customers to internal communications for our team. Intercom does everything in a neat and easy way.

Pros

In a few words, using Intercom is such a wholesome experience with zero to non competitor in the market who can compete with his top notch features and constant improvements. There is always something new in the works to make it even more useful.

Cons

The overall quality of the SaaS is very good, but the price you have to pay for everyone of the features is a bit too much compared to what is offered from the competition, don't get me wrong, being at the top of the list comes with a hefty price tag.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

While being a bit more expensier than the competition, the overall quality of Intercom's is hard to match.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Our team needed a more robust messaging platform.

Response from Intercom

Replied February 2021

Thanks so much for letting us know how Intercom is helping you manage your communications with your customers and teams. Thanks too for you feedback regarding our pricing and packaging. Our aim is to align the price you pay to the value you see, and it's a difficult one to get this right for every type of business model. I'll make sure to pass your comments on to the right team. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Damola from Mercurie Labs

Supercharge Your Customer Interactions

I am able to deploy a simple interface that helps customers interact with our team while they use our software. The team is also able to get direct notifications on their email, Smartphone apps and Slack (via the Intercom<>Slack integration) and respond promptly to queries. I am able to deploy product tours to users while they use our software. It helps us scale our support in ways we couldn't get done in the past. Finally, we are able to assess user actions across various touchpoints and sections of our software. We are also able to gauge our performance with supporting users. i.e. response time, user satisfaction with support interections etc. All together, Intercom is one of the best decisions we've made as a startup so far!

Pros

I like that users are able to reach us at Mercurie for our flagship product. I also love that we are able tosend them emails triggered by rules set by us. I also love the various apps I can integrate to our company account. It has made interaction with users so much easier and richer. I almost forgot the in-app tours and the new features they release every month. As a leader in a startup that owns a SaaS solution, I am always inspired by Intercom every time I use it. As a user, I am all to delighted every time I interact with the software.

Cons

To be honest, nothing really. Maybe the learning curve that comes with figuring it out at first, but they have a robust help centre and academy that resolves areas where we lack clarity.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Again, Intercom is pretty simple and quite frankly, the user interface is just too aluring. If I could find a more appropriate experience I have with the interface, it could be enchanting and for the software, delightful.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

We felt it was pretty expensive and have sever limitations on the free tier.

Response from Intercom

Replied October 2020

Thanks for leaving us this review Damola. It's wonderful to hear that Intercom is helping you communicate and interact with your users in such a rich way! You're right that the learning curve with Intercom can be pretty steep as the tool is so powerful, and our Product Education team are hard at work creating content to help at every step. Make sure to check out our free online Intercom Academy courses, webinars and our new customer community Interconnected, as these are all great ways to continue your learning. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Joan from Flash Projects

Profesionalidad

En general nuestra experiencia con este software es muy buena ya que nos ha permitido ayudar a nuestros clientes de una forma profesional y rápida.

Pros

Lo que mas nos ha gustado del software es la profesionalidad con la que ven nuestros clientes la interfaz y la facilidad que tienen de comunicarse con nosotros, además cabe destacar que muchas veces a través de las respuestas configuradas que tenemos muchos clientes encuentran su respuesta sin tener que contactar con un agente.

Cons

Lo que menos nos ha gustado por decir algo que es un software que incluye unos planes con un precio muy elevado y podría incluir alguno más asequible para empresas más pequeñas.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Elegimos usar Intercom debido a su fácil funcionamiento y integración y a la vez la profesionalidad de su interfaz de cara a los clientes sin tener que configurar excesivamente.

Response from Intercom

Replied February 2021

Thanks for letting us know how Intercom is helping you embrace conversational support and how you're making the most of our automation features too! I'll make sure your feedback regarding our pricing and packaging get back to the team. We always aim to align the cost you pay with the value you see and it's hard to get that right for every type of business model. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

My favourite support tool

Only good experience overall Great support team Price could be better

Pros

Easiest support tool to have. Makes your team very accessible, also makes the support process simple for the end users Good integrations and useful statistics provided

Cons

Pricing - it is not very cheap. Pricing also often changes Help center tool - it could really use some help and updates Also, a lot of Add block tools catch Intercom as an ad and blocks it - thus creating inconvenience for end users having to choose between

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Ease of use, ease of implementation, better end user experience

Response from Intercom

Replied March 2021

Thanks for letting us know that Intercom is you favorite support tool and we're helping you deliver such a good user experience. I appreciate your feedback on our pricing, Articles feature and ad block issues. I'll make sure these get back to the right people here. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Brandon from gShift

Intercom is a powerful Customer Support Tool

Overall I would recommend intercom for clients looking for automation chat bots and customer support software. They have plenty of resources and their new product tour feature adds additional functionality to their suite of software.

Pros

The knowledge center and live chat features were the most used features at our software company. These features were used regularly and automations within intercom helped serve clients efficiently.

Cons

Lacks in reporting and knowledge base customization compared to ZenDesk. Innovation in new features can be slow at times.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Intercom was easy to implement and integrated into Zoho directly by previous developers so was a hard sell to switch out.

Response from Intercom

Replied April 2021

Thanks for leaving us this review Brandon, and for letting us know how powerful you've found Intercom as a support tool. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Amazing customer support

Great experience, we switched over from Sendgrid and prefer Intercom despite the higher price

Pros

The customer support is the most responsive I've ever had from a messaging / email software. We use the email because it's already integrated into our messaging and support software, so we don't have to do any import of the contacts.

Cons

It's not super intuitive or the easiest to use sometimes, like all enterprise level software it can get a bit complicated. It's also not built out for email, e.g. we also can't create unsubscribe groups on email which is a bit annoying.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Sendgrid actually lost all of our contacts and have terrible support

Response from Intercom

Replied January 2021

Thanks for letting us know you have had such a good experience with Intercom since swapping from Sendgrid. I've made sure your feedback regarding email capabilities has been sent to the product team - it's an area of focus for us. Kate (Intercom)

Anca from Marketing and Advertising

Great solution for chat support

Pros

Easy to use and very intuitive interface.

Cons

It has quite a price point, which may not be friendly on small businesses.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Because it also included help documentation features

Response from Intercom

Replied January 2021

Thanks for taking the time to review Intercom Anca. I'm delighted to hear you've found our live chat and help centre features so powerful and easy to use. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Grégoire from WisePops

Great product, poor pricing and support

Intercom helped us provide better support and engage more visitors and clients.

Pros

Intercom is super easy to use and implement. It's packed with time-saving features.

Cons

Their support team is driving us crazy. It can take them up to 10 days to reply to a simple question. Their pricing is also super frustrating. We're paying more than 500€/month. For a company with less than 10 employees and 1,300 paying clients, this is a lot of money. Despite what we pay, we don't have access to their most recent features.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

It included a knowledge base.

Response from Intercom

Replied January 2021

Hi Gregoire, thanks for leaving us this review. I'm happy to hear we're helping you better support and engage your customers. I've let your account rep know about your support experience as this is not what we expect. Kate (Intercom)

A true ecosystem

We have stuck with intercom for 4 years at this point and no plans to leave. I think that is testament to how strong an offering they currently have.

Pros

I would not have written a positive review about Intercom 12 months ago. There were too many small grievances with the individual features that were all building up. Recently the platform has matured enormously. It feels like the team at intercom has come into it's stride. New features like Series, Guides ect and most importantly - how they all work together - has made it a much better experience.

Cons

Currently my 2 biggest gripes are cost and customer services. I do think for a scale-up the price gets very steep very quickly. The customer support thing is more annoying - a core part of Intercoms offering is instant-chat. I remember 2 years ago their own instant chat was really great - now it can take a long time for a response to come in.

Response from Intercom

Replied November 2020

Thank you so much for leaving us this review. I just shared your comments with our Product team and it mad their day! Especially the team working on our Series product :) I also really appreciate your feedback on our costs and support wait times, even more so considering you have been such a loyal and log-term customer. As of late our reply times have unfortunately slowed but we've been working (and hiring!) diligently to speed things back up to the expected turnaround times. That said our reply times do range from a few hours to a few days based on subscription (Premium receives the fastest turnaround time) and nature or urgency of the query. When it comes to costs we always aim to align these with the value you are seeing so if you feel this is not the case please do get in touch with the team via the messenger to chat through your options. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Peter from OhMD

Complete Package

We had the opportunity to start fresh with a new ticket system/knowledge base so were shopping around. We came across Intercom and never looked back. While it has those things it is so much more being a central place to manage all our client related communications. It is by far the application I use most day-to-day.

Pros

Using Intercom has been an amazing experience. It is well thought out, full featured and continues to improve all the time. It has become an essential tool to communicate with our leads/clients. What is great is we can reach them (and they reach us) wherever they are: our website, in our web app, our mobile apps, email, etc.

Cons

While it starts off cheap depending on the features you choose to use and your volume it can start to get expensive quick. I'm not saying the product still doesn't provide value (it absolutely does) just if I had to pick what I liked least I would say cost.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

We didn't know it until we saw it but we could get so much more with Intercom than just a ticket system.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Features and just the overall shift in how we could use the tool to communicate with out clients.

Response from Intercom

Replied December 2019

Hi Peter, We really appreciate you leaving us a review and are so happy to hear Intercom is an essential part of your customer communication. Thanks also for your feedback on pricing. We work really hard to align our pricing to the value you are seeing. Please get in touch if you would like to discuss your subscription options with us. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Nathaniel from Fons

The really bridge the gap between customers and our service

Their customer success team is great, even on the days when I'm not the most gracious customer. I even try to emulate some of their practices because I feel heard as a customer when I suggest features or report what I think could be bugs in the system.

Pros

The ability to converse with our customers quickly and seamlessly between email and the messenger app is great. They've thought through this feature set very well and it brings us very close to our customers and we are able to convert leads very well through this service too. Other similar apps function the same, but their UI/UX is lacking compared to Intercom. The actual feel of the app is clean and friendly and dare I say...even fun to use. Customer success at Intercom is also excellent, they've got our backs and I appreciate it (although getting paired with someone in a vastly different time zone can hold up ticket times on our end).

Cons

There are some gaps in the help center and email features. It would be ideal to create/edit documents in a manner closer to Microsoft Word or Google doc, as those are the standard for editing documents these days. Little things like not being able to create a list inside of a document the way I would in other apps can be frustrating, but there is usually a workaround of some sort that will suffice (I'm just picky). It would also be nice to only be paired with their team members in our time zone. Working in the US and then being helped by a team member from Australia means our ticket times take much longer and conversation is hard to do in real time.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

We use this Intercom for our help center, to convert leads, and to help our customers. There are many more features/integrations we don't use but that would be useful in the future as we scale.

Lots of Features but Frustrating When Messages Get Lost

Our team used intercom to support a large team of contractors that would frequently visit our website and work with us on a regular basis. We frequently use the "segment" feature to learn more about our population and to send out messages to certain segments. We also used a variety of integrations. For example, we used upscope.io so that we could immediately screenshare with any user who was on our website if they sent us a message on intercom that they needed help. The user would get a popup asing if they want to let the administrator view their screen and they just need to click "ok." That's it. It's that easy. Upscope.io integrates directly with intercom. You can also add Google Calendar to intercom so that intercom users can schedule a call with a teammate directly.

Pros

Intercom allows for various quasi-queries, integrations, and outound messasges to your users. This is very helpful and is not available in all of the other customer support platforms that I have used. You can find out information about your customer population. You can send messages to only CERTAIN "segments" of your customer population. You can also integrate with a WIDE variety of other softwares to really up your customer support game.

Cons

Intercom does not show all of the user messages together unless you open their profile OR they send their message as a response. So, for example, if a customer sends you a message, then 10 minutes later they create a new chat and send a new message, those messages are not linked togather unless you open their profile. I have had the experience of different agents answering the two messages or of answering one message only to see that the same user had sent a correction to their message. This is very frustrating. It can also be difficult for users to locate the knowledge base which leads to more inbound messages. Intercom is trying to solve this by bot responses, but this is something you may have to pay for.

Beat from qsv.ch - Internet-Service

Advertising for Intercom in every E-Mail

We have been using the solution productively for some time now, then discontinued it for cost reasons. Now a plan was booked and cancelled in a new subscription structure again as a test. In the plans up to Pro, the customer also figures as an advertising slingshot, since an advertising line for intercom is always included in every e-mail. Since we did not want this at all (after all, the plan already costs 99 dollars / month) the test was finally cancelled. Intercom didn't want to offer a solution to this, except to offer updates to the next higher subscription (499 dollars / month) which is not affordable for a small company.

Pros

+ Beautiful design, with many useful details. + Good iOS and Android app with slightly limited operation. + An easy to understand messenger for the customer. + Customisable messenger with colours, text and details.

Cons

- High price and only monthly plans. - Platform only in English. - Minimal help center, but large but confusing Academy pages. - Tedious setup help, although the setup itself is not complex. - Support replies take up to two days, in English only.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Response from Intercom

Replied July 2020

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review Beat and letting us know about your intercom experience. I'm sorry to hear that we're not the right fit for you at this time, but thank you for sending us your feedback. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Jennie from Care2Rock

A Great Lead Capture

Makes customer communication and customer acquisition easier. I wish the chat flows were more advanced and customizable. There was definitely a learning curve with the chat flows. Also, I don't believe I can export contact information with my leads.

Pros

-Capturing emails and names -Integrating to Hubspot and other software for easy lead closure -Creating chat flows allows us to communicate to customers faster and saves us time

Cons

-Would like to combine actions on Intercom -Hubspot Integration is not perfect; would like to have specific field matching -Chat flow capabilities are limited

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Intercom was recommended to us from other entrepreneurs.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

We were on a free plan with LiveChat for a year because we were part of an Incubator. When the year ended, we wanted to consider other options. Intercom gave us a startup plan, so it ended up being cheaper than LiveChat.

David from Codeable

Intercom is The Best chat/support tool available

The business problems we are solving using Intercom are managing incoming requests and sending in-app messages and emails. And Intercom does this with flying colors. Regardless if a user messages us live on our site, via email, or even Facebook, our support team is easily able to reply and help. It also integrates perfectly with our app to provide full visibility of a user easily accessing their profile to gain deeper insights to assist the user even more effectively. There's a reason Intercom is growing so quickly; because it's a great product and is built with quality.

Pros

What I like most about Intercom is how easy it is to jump in and begin assisting users with their questions and requests. It's been an invaluable tool for communicating with our users (both clients and developers) on Codeable and we've been relying on it 365 days a year for 5+ years straight. There are so many new features they keep releasing which are often things we didn't realize we need until we tried them and discovered we can't live with them.

Cons

For the size of our support team and number of messages we send, Intercom is one of the more expensive SaaS products we use. There are other services that may manage a support center better, but those don't provide the same quality of live chat, self-serving help center, or messenger bots that Intercom provides. While cost is a consideration for all companies, we feel Intercom is still the best value for the money and are happy paying the price for all the value it brings us.

Response from Intercom

Replied November 2019

A big thank you from the team here at Intercom for your kind words David!

Kyle from Ends of Invention (Pty) Ltd

Adds Much More Value Than You Realise

While the price tag for Intercom is not small, especially for startups launching their first mobile app versions, it has consistently proven to be one of the most valuable assets for teams in terms of user support, communication & out-of-the-box development readiness.

Pros

The in-app chat feature (with its cross-platform support for React Native and Ionic) is absolutely the biggest differentiator for Intercom. It is a critical part of our day-to-day operations & every client that has gone the route of implementing it with us has been hugely surprised by the large amount of value it adds to end users.

Cons

We are facing ongoing complications differentiating identified and unidentified users. The experimental API available for Android seemed to be heading in the right direction to solve this, but we haven't seen updates on the stub implementation for iOS in over a year (https://github.com/intercom/intercom-ios/blob/master/Intercom.framework/Headers/Intercom%2BExperimental.h).

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

The depth of features, native mobile experience for users, easy to implement push notifications & powerful management console trumped our experiences with the others available & unified several different but related requirements.

Blake from Adventure Bucket List

Very helpful support and customer onboarding tool

Overall they have been awesome on support and the tool is incredibly helpful. I will continue to use them for years to come.

Pros

I love how we could integrate chat directly into our application for our customers. The help center is very nice for our customers and the reports really help us understand how our team is doing.

Cons

Some of the functionality is a little difficult to setup especially around the tracking of specific features utilized on our platform. I also can get a little frustrated with the routing of messages, it can override the rules you put in place.

price and ease of use

Response from Intercom

Replied February 2020

Hi Blake, Thanks for sharing your Intercom experience, I'm so happy to hear you'll be with us for years to come! I'll be passing your feedback about tracking and message routing on to our product team. If you'd like to add any further detail or context do get in touch via the Messenger :) Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Tito from Graphic Design

The best option for LIVE CHAT and Support

Pros

Intercom is the lease in the industry and that’s because is the best in Livechat and support software. I’ve tried a lot of services before, cheap and expensive and I can say intercom worth every penny and it’s the option that has given to me the best results.

Cons

Nothing found until now. It’s really complete and well done solution.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

After the trial I discover no other solution can be even compared to Intercom, it’s the complete solution and the best Choice ever for me.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

The offer and the solution. I needed a solution with the best performance and options.

Response from Intercom

Replied January 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us this review Tito. It's great to hear that Intercom is helping you drive results for your business. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Oliver from GloriaFood

All our support team is using it

Pros

Ease of use is really great. We have hundrets of conversations with our clients every day using this tool.

Cons

Their pricing. Not only is it expensive, they have changed their pricing plan about 4x in 2 years. Furthermore it's very complex to understand.

Better UI and livechat.

Small SAS Use

Our main use for intercom is tier 1 chat support. Our users know that this is the fastest way to get ahold of us. In lieu of using a chatbot we've gone in and created a bunch of quick responses that we can go in and edit. This has cut down on the amount of time we spend chatting with a customer and it allows us to control the message that we are sending out across the board. We've also used campaigns to let our users know of new product releases and have sent out Net Promoter Score Survey's out in a campaign. I'd like to note that we do not use Intercom as a CRM for leads on enterprise accounts.

Pros

Intercom is really easy to set up and importing users into the software is really simple. It's nice to be able to create an online library of help articles and have it available for our users to find. The chat feature is what we use most and our users definitely enjoy how easy it is to reach out to us.

Cons

Our customers have a difficult time closing out of conversations or seeing actions on our screen that need to be taken on the right hand of the screen. The chat box will often times cause them to become more frustrated as they need to open and close the chat as we give instructions. The close button is in a circle under the chat, which is a spot that most people don't usually look for. There are a few customizable things that we'd like to see. Like the ability to create custom out of office messages or include holiday messages to let our users know we're either out of office or responding slowly.

Sylvina from Recruitly.io

Fast and easy

Pros

We used the chat system for our support team and Intercom made is super easy to get going. The chats were like personalized messages and we could set up introductory or absence messages for a duration set up. Automation is great.

Cons

No reporting at all. They have reports within the system which is not editable and if you want to download and run your own reports, it is not possible. Makes it difficult to audit.

Fernando from SharpSpring Brasil

Best software for proving support

Coundn't be better. Today I cannot imagine our daily support activies without this software.

Pros

Its hard to say what I like the most, since are so many great features. Still, I believe the Inbox module is by far the great thing about it, since it allows a direct communication with clients.

Cons

A couple of months ago articles sharing was changed on the inbox feature. Now, when you share an article via conversation the client cannot open it on a separate page. This is terrible for most clients, a source of great complain.

Response from Intercom

Replied January 2020

Hi Fernando, Thank you for leaving us this review. It sounds like you're getting real value from the platform, especially the team inbox! Make sure to keep an eye on our Intercom Academy page as we'll be releasing a new course designed specifically for Support Managers in the coming months which I think you might like. I'll also make sure to pass your feedback regarding Article sharing to the appropriate product team. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Peter from GenieBelt

Industry leader in category of customer communication

Intercom has grown to become an (almost) 1-stop-shop for all things customer communication related. Both sales, customer support, product etc. can benefit from directly using Intercom to communicate with your applications customers.

Pros

A powerful platform that allows to view your customers session and meta data, instantly send targeted messages and set up email/in-app messaging campaigns, create help desk articles for self-service, automate workflows with bots and rules, onboard your application

Cons

The increase of features and modules have brought the complexity of the software up. It's easy to get up and running (require 1 line of code), but the road to fully adopting the suite of tools is long.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

When we switched Zendesk lacked the real-time in-app communication that Intercom offered.

Response from Intercom

Replied December 2019

A huge thank you for taking the time to leave this review Peter. I'm extremely happy to hear that you are seeing the benefits of using Intercom for your customer communication. Thanks also for letting us know about your setup feedback. Even as our solutions evolve and become more powerful we aim to keep setup as straightforward as possible. Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Scott from Generation Tux

Intercom Is (mostly) Great!

We use Intercom daily to help diagnose and solve a multitude of customer issues. As an admin, I have the ability to monitor chats, provide internal notes within the chat in real time for trainees, and make sure everyone is offline at the end of the day. There are a few flaws and Intercom WILL send you far too many emails, but overall this is a great chat tool for any customer service business.

Pros

Using Intercom as our ECOM site's chat service has been very helpful! On the customer service team, we are immediately given the contact information needed to properly help a customer. Using Intercom alongside Zendesk has also been a huge improvement over our old chat/ticketing software as they work very well together. Our team also utilizes custom and team macro responses to give fast, accurate answers and assistance. Also, giphy integration!

Cons

The default setting on Intercom has keyboard shortcuts turned on. It seems like most of them immediately close the chat. This can be easily solved by turning them off, but it is not made obvious on how to do so. Once they're off, it's smooth sailing! We have two customer service teams, and we often have agents going back and forth between the two. We use Intercom for both. The other downside is that it is impossible to be available on one and away/reassign on the other. You can keep it open in two tabs, but that's more of a workaround than a solution.

Alexis from VerticalChange

Easy-to-use tool with great features to make supporting customers a breeze!

We have been able to resolve customer questions in a much quicker time simply because we can access help articles quicker, get other team members in on the conversation more easily, and use integrations like co-browsing and attaching help articles to resolve a problem more quickly. Overall, Intercom has been a great experience compared to our past customer support apps and we are happy to be using this to improve our customer's experience in our app.

Pros

It is great to have the ability to do so many things within one app: chat with our customers, write help articles, link help articles to our customers, send out messages to groups of people, easily find previous conversations, and create reports to monitor our progress. Intercom has really made our support workflow simple and much less confusing than other software tools we have used. They also integrate with a number of different tools (GitHub, ZenDesk, Upscope co-browsing, etc.) so anything that Intercom can't directly do, we can find a way to do through an integration.

Cons

The Customer Support response times from Intercom are a bit long, but the team is always helpful and resolves any questions we have. I also wish the Articles were a little more built out - they just have some simple feature there, and it would be nice to have a more robust help center with the flexibility to format our articles the way we want and organize the collections differently.

A good, cost effective platform to interact with customers

We use Intercom in conjunction with Crisp Chat, and while Intercom is an 8 out of 10 (vs. Crisp's 5 out of 10 score), there are still some aspects left to be desired. Their knowledge base functionality is great, and the look and feel of it can be customized to best help customers. Chats can be displayed on our website in three main forms, which is helpful to be able to market/inform customers in fun new ways to keep them interested. It's a good, and useful software, but it's not as robust as Drift. All in all, a good product that we are "happy" with, but not 100% satisfied with since some business functions are impacted by certain limitations.

Pros

The ability to send email campaigns, set up notification/chat campaigns and live chat with customers.

Cons

The one MAJOR negative aspect to this product is that once someone qualifies for a campaign, even if the campaign is deactivated, the person will continue to get the contents of the campaign until it is finished, or the campaign is deleted. *Note, if the campaign is deleted, all reporting and data tied to it will be deleted as well.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Drift at the time didn't have everything we needed, and it was too expensive for the number of site visitors we had. Intercom was comparable in functionality at the time, but was less expensive.

Charlotte from E-Learning

Intercom is everything you need for customer support

Pros

I love intercom, I think its fab it works as a CRM, customer support centre, integrates with our payment gateways keeping refunds and payment queries in one place. I'm very impressed they've launched product tours think that its going to be a huge feature for them.

Cons

I would like intercom to do more in terms of partnerships and working with companies to grow. I recommend intercom to all of our enterprise clients some with 10,000+ users but there is no referral incentive scheme. I have enquired about this a few times and applied for the partnership program but I haven't had a response

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

I wanted everything managed in one place

Thomas from Airtame

Industry: Wireless

I'm so glad we switched to Intercom!

It is a tool that was built by its users, meaning the people who build it also use it. I can begin to describe how important this is. They have not limited themselves to what others are doing and have rethought the entire process f customer support to build what everyone wanted. A useful, effective tool which makes customer support fun to do as a job as well as receive. We often get asked by our customers what support tool we use. We love intercom!!

Pros

It's a tool that gives you what you need and it does it well. They are ahead of the game in all ways. It makes customer success seamless and proactive. It's a multi-tool. It's changed the way people perceive customer support because it makes it fast, effective and fun. They write their own books (Awesome!) and they host seminars to help use the tools better.

Cons

They take a while to release new features, this is no surprise as companies will need different things. It does not have a merging tool to link conversations to the person already in the system. Sometimes you get duplicate leads/users. They can take a while to respond to support inquiries. They changed their pricing structure which, when it was priced per lead and not per agent, made intercom stand out

Great intuitive software

Using this to answer incoming customer inquiries, resolution not, faq, and more

Pros

Easily merges email and live chat on one platform. Integrates loads of other software too. Also has built in reporting and lots of features that come standard

Cons

Cannot merge tickets like other platforms do. Some reporting could use deeper drill downs and insights

Needed live chat

Response from Intercom

Replied May 2020

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your Intercom experience. I'm glad we're helping you manage your multi-channel support. I've made sure to pass your feedback on ticketing and reporting on to the Product Team as I know we have a few plans in the workds that could address these. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Carlos from Studypool

A very simplistic tool to connect with your users.

Overall, my experience with Intercom has been great. It's very easy to set up and get it running on your site and it's very user-friendly from your customers/leads side. There are a lot of improvements that can be made but their support team is very approachable and helpful.

Pros

- The interface is very straightforward, You get messages from users and you reply. - It allows you to snooze messages so you can focus on messages that are your priority. -There are a lot of customizable options so you can make Intercom more like your company and less like Intercom.

Cons

-While metrics are simple and easy to follow, there should be more in-depth information like real response time. They use a "median response time" metric which to be honest is very confusing. -There should be a limit on how many conversations a user can open. If a user wants, they can open unlimited conversations which can be a pain for your support team. -There should be an option to delete messages in bulk.

Response from Intercom

Replied August 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review Carlos. It's much appreciated. Just wanted to double-check - it's the ability to close conversations in bulk that you would require. Or do you mean delete conversations to they don't show up in your metrics?

Johann from Veriff

The review

You might get lost when diving into these complex feature on your own, but the customer support is there to hold your hand, so don't worry you are supported all way along

Pros

The chatbot is a world class. Highly customizable to make sure that you can let the bot handle up to 50% of conversations. Product tours are also the best I have seen

Cons

The inbox is quite poor to use for email conversations only. The articles lack for customization options, too.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Intercom had way better user interface and more convenient chatbot and product tours

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

We want to be closer to the customers and create a top class self-service opportunities.

Angy from Airtm

Intercom a safe option

My overall experience with Intercom was very good

Pros

The product is easy to use, the live chat idea is still one of the best customer support options.

Cons

What I like the least is that it does not have so many options to integrate other work tools to Intercom, for example creating a report in Jira, from the user chat

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

We needed something simple to integrate.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Because we wanted to test live chat support for users and easy integration for twitter and facebook

Response from Intercom

Replied October 2020

Thanks for leaving us this review Angy! I'm so happy to hear that your experience with Intercom has been good and that we're helping you support your customers so well. Thanks also for your feedback regarding our integrations - I know the team is having a discussion about this right now so I'll make sure to get this over to them. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Susan from MLOZ IT

Intеrсоm fоr а rеlіаblе соnnесtіоn bеtwееn thе sеllеr аnd thе сustоmеr

Pros

Wе must sау thаt Intеrсоm саn rеаllу bоаst оf thеіr mеаns fоr соmmunісаtіng wіth vіsіtоrs: thеу аrе vаrіеd аnd еquаllу sресіаlіzеd аnd еаsу аt thе sаmе tіmе. In аddіtіоn tо thеsе mеаns, Intеrсоm рrоvіdеs us wіth tооls fоr аnаlуzіng сustоmеr іntеrасtіоn wіth а wеbsіtе оr а sеrvісе. Fоr еxаmрlе, wе саn usе thіs dаtа tо sеgmеnt thе dаtаbаsе оf е-mаіl subsсrіbеrs. Brоаdlу sреаkіng, Intеrсоm fосusеs оn suсh аn аsресt аs реrsоnаlіzіng thе соmmunісаtіоn bеtwееn thе sеllеr аnd thе сustоmеr. Wе lіkе thаt thіs sеrvісе sаvеs thе mеssаgе hіstоrу wіth аnу сustоmеr, аnd duе tо thіs, іt іs еаsу tо соntіnuе thе соnvеrsаtіоn frоm thе mоmеnt whеrе іt stорреd аt thе рrеvіоus соmmunісаtіоn sеssіоn.

Cons

Tо bе hоnеst, іt іs а humаn nаturе tо gеt mоrе thаn thеу асhіеvе. And wе thіnk Intеrсоm іs suсh а саsе. Wе mеаn thаt еvеn thоugh Intеrсоm’s funсtіоnіng іs bеуоnd thе рrаіsеs, thеrе іs а fееlіng tо gеt mоrе аnd mоrе аdvаnсеd funсtіоnаlіtу bесаusе thе сurrеnt оnе dоеsn’t sееm tо bе thе оnlу lіmіt fоr thе vеndоr, nаmеlу thеіr skу оf орроrtunіtіеs. Fоr іnstаnсе, wе wоuld lіkе tо hаvе bеttеr іntеgrаtіоn сараbіlіtіеs. Bеsіdеs, іt wоuld bе bеttеr tо hаvе mоrе suрроrt аnd іmрrоvеmеnts bеіng mаdе uроn thе sеrvісе’s mаrkеtіng funсtіоns.

Andre from Carrotly,LLC

Great tool for conversations - not for tracking

Overall, this platform would be amazing if the stats were figured out. Right now, it's a solid 8 even without tracking features. It's a keeper, but not once the team reaches over 100 and you really need to track solid numbers.

Pros

This software is easy to use and navigate. The support has been quick to respond and very helpful. They utilize all the tools and resources available to you and really embrace their own technology. Intercom has helped to create more of a conversational-based outlook for our success team.

Cons

This software's statistic-tracking is severely lacking. I'd give this a 0 for any crucial numbers you are looking for, time to resolution (you can't track ongoing conversations), tags are conversation based and pull the entire thread, not the moment the tag happened, and countless others. You will spend more time compiling your stats if you use Intercom's system and need to track valid numbers.

Response from Intercom

Replied December 2018

Andre, appreciate your review and feedback! We're continuing to invest in our reporting and have a dedicated eng team focused on improving this so will pass along your feedback and you should see improvements start to ship in the coming months!

Sean from Buxton

Intercom Review

This experience has been very positive. The value we gain by using intercom helps us as a team to stay organized and on top of everything as we are a highly collaborative office. Not sure what all is in the pipeline for development. I've made a few request and not sure where those stand or really even where to go review those. I understand with ongoing development it's hard to give dates but some type of "under review" or "denied" status would be helpful.

Pros

This software is easy to use and the customer support is very friendly and will help walk through how to solve for an issue end to end - even if there is no developed solution, which can be difficult. I really like the "note" functionality.

Cons

Images in emails sometimes (and often) all turn into attachments. It becomes a pain to click through every image when a customer of ours sends in a screenshot when they have thumbnails in their email signature. It would be great if pictures came through a bit more naturally as it would via email. I've also sent in a bit of feedback here and there on how to improve reporting capabilities. It would be nice if adding people to conversations worked a bit better for our need being able to tie in our account team (they are not "agents") would be helpful rather than typing their whole email. Reporting on our reply time within our office hours would be huge as well (i.e. if we get a message at 5:01 and we leave on a Friday it won't knock us the entire weekend).

Lucy from TimeTap Online Scheduling

Just awesome

Intercom sets a new standard for software. Our team relies on it heavily for communication with our userbase and for note taking on issues. It's got really useful integrations to link to other efficiency tools for software teams as well. The team behind it is really helpful and answers support questions quickly and thoroughly. They also practice a lot of transparency so it is a company that feels good to work with and support. They're rolling out improvements constantly and keep their userbase informed about them. They also use the tool themselves and its nice to work with a company that "eats their own dog food", as the saying goes. The one thing that is confusing about their platform is the differentiation between their different product lines. We've been with them for years and maybe it is clearer for new accounts what they're using, but for us we often scratch our heads over whether or not we've got access to something. Other than that, amazing product for communicating with new and old users alike! Couldn't recommend more highly.

Pros

Great support team, constant improvements, easy communication with users and tracking over time, nice segmentation of customer base, great integrations for software teams

Cons

Hard to understand the differentiation between their product lines

Chris from OnTimeTelecom

Great for Our Company

Coming from our previous chat software, this one is 1000% better. You can view reports of different employees and their ratings from customers they interact with, you can send emails from within Intercom, and I am sure there are many more options that I am not even aware of yet. Overall, a great product.

Pros

I love the main chat interface, and how it keeps everything clean, neat and organized. You can snooze chats for later, and create preset replies, which save a TON of time, when answering the same types of questions.

Cons

For some customers, if they are on a different page than the one they were on before, when chatting, Intercom sometimes makes another, new chat. In rare instances, I will have 4 or 5 chats from the same person. I don't know why this is, though it could be how it simply interacts with our website, specifically. Also, the chat sound will sometimes beep randomly, where there isn't a chat there to attend. Minor annoyances, in the grand scheme of things.

Response from Intercom

Replied December 2019

Thanks a lot for leaving us this review Chris. It's great to hear that Intercom is having such a great impact for you! The multiple chat issue you're seeing sounds strange to me so I would advise you get in touch with our Support team to see if they can help :) Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

An Excellent Support Platform

Great product, excellent customer support. Not many

Pros

Enjoy the integration with Help Articles, the ability to send targeted campaigns based on app engagement. Love that they offer special pricing for Startups. Lots of room to grow into the Intercom platform.

Cons

Their pricing model does not fit all business models well and can be difficult to understand. It can get costly quickly depending on how many products you choose and your business model.

Reasons for Choosing Intercom

Excellent ability to integrate Intercom into our own platform through their JavaScript API to trigger engagement and tracking events. This lets us customize our onboarding experience.

Reasons for Switching to Intercom

Needed better integration between Help Desk, Chat, and our help center.

Response from Intercom

Replied April 2020

Thank you for taking the time to review Intercom. I'm so happy to hear you found our Early Stage Program so helpful :) We always try to align our pricing with the value customers are seeing from our product so I've made sure to pass your feedback on to our team here. Thanks again, Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Shawn from testim

Okay for chat, not for docs. Support is DIY

If we are only using chat, then it's okay. No better than any other chat system and worse in many respects. We have moved our docs off of the Intercom platform to readme (not great, but better). We have moved our in-app chat off the Intercom platform to zendesk. We still use Intercom for our website chat.

Pros

The chatbot does have a lot of options. Nontechnical users can use the tool. You can structure automatic responses and decision trees to help direct the questions to the right people. That said, what customer or prospect wants to be treated this way? It's like the voicemail systems that require 5 prompts, before talking to someone.

Cons

The documentation feature (for housing your docs) is awful—readers don't know where they are, they can't navigate up a tree. They are beholden to search. The email rules don't always work. We set up a nurture for a separate persona (role) and even though one email rule said "don't send to role = dev" it still did. Support is DIY. Good luck getting someone to respond to you through their own intercom chatbot. Their response time is "1 day" but in four attempts at getting help, I've never received a response.

Response from Intercom

Replied November 2020

Hi Shawn, Thanks for leaving such detailed feedback about your Intercom experience, especially regarding our Articles product. I'll make sure this gets to the right people here. Ss of late our support reply times have unfortunately slowed but we've been working (and hiring!) diligently to speed things back up to the expected turnaround times. That said our reply times do range from a few hours to a few days based on subscription (Premium receives the fastest turnaround time) and nature or urgency of the query. I can see looking at your account now that you have received responses from a number of my colleagues, and you can expect faster response times going forward. Thanks again, Kate

Josh from Digitile

Amazing Customer Support and Sales Tool

We absolutely love intercom and our business is married to it.

Pros

We absolutely love Intercom! Our entire business runs through intercom, from customer support to converting leads. We house all of our funnel related customer data in Intercom to provide an amazing customer experience.

Cons

There is not much bad to say. I would like for Intercom to improve the outbound communication campaign feature set to be more like email marketing automation tools.

Response from Intercom

Replied April 2020

Thanks you for your wonderful review Josh! I'm so happy to hear your business is seeing such success with Intercom. And if you keep an eye on the 'what's new' section in the Intercom app you might just see something that will interest you very soon ;) Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Alexis from Get More Reviews

Excellent platform - more than just customer support

Pros

We switched to Intercom intending to use it for simple customer support messaging. We now use it for so much else. Intercom is constantly innovating and releasing new features, from sales tools to product tours to bots and AI - Intercom is a very powerful tool.

Cons

Every new feature is an add-on - wish there were a way to bundle everything and reduce the cost a bit more. It gets pretty expensive for a small, growing business.

Needed something more powerful

Farhan from Clary Icon

Intercom - Bringing all your communication on a single page

Overall experience has been great and we would love to recommend intercom to any person new to similar products. This is highly useful for small businesses and startups.

Pros

We have set up intercom to be active on more than 40 of our product websites. The best thing is that we do not have to be on separate places to respond to chats from customers/potential customers. Every chat/communication comes directly to the intercom main page from where we can see the link the customer is viewing right now, their location and country. The software also has options to automatically assign chats to different people. We can define rules such as rule according to geographical location of customer. That makes it easy for our globally located teams to address customer requests from customers in their areas only.

Cons

The pricing is a bit aggressive. It costs per seat. The pricing has been revised recently in 2019. Before that the pricing was slightly better.

Joshua from Inspection Support Network

Great software!

Amazing. Felt like there were some scaling issues for a little bit, but overall our experience has been rock solid.

Pros

Intercom is super fast to set up and integrate. We rolled it out on 2 custom platforms and a wordpress site without issue. Their support team is amazing and responsive to user feedback. (I use their conversations with me as an example to our support team sometimes) Love their introduction methods for new and beta features. The integration of each IC product with our custom software cut an incredible amount of time out of our workflow.

Cons

The reporting is probably the least prolific part of the software. When using messages to email customers or sales leads, as of 11/14/2018 there isn't an option to check for duplicate emails while sending messages out if your user/lead records have UUIDs imported from custom software. The only lack of feature that I felt was big enough to bring up in a review as the team is generally very receptive to our input.

Hannah from Whetstone Education

Integral to our support team

Overall it's been great! I came into my office shortly after we switched from our previous platform and it's apparently been quite the upgrade.

Pros

-Provide great support (would be super ironic if they didn't) -Make it really easy to train other people on the platform -Reporting options since we moved to Inbox Pro have really improved -Now that we've figured out the tags, we're getting super great data.

Cons

-The way they set up how you pick your hours of availability really annoys me -While not common, we have experienced issues that we're pretty sure aren't user error (ie. need to refresh your page after turning on your beeping sound) -A lot of the integrations require you to share out the emails of all of your clients which is annoying

Response from Intercom

Replied December 2019

Hi Hannah, thanks so much for this review. I'm so happy to hear you're getting great use out of our tags - they're a game changer! I've passed your feedback on availability settings and integrations to our product teams. Comments like these really help us continually improve our product. The issue you've seen with your audio notifications sounds odd to me so please do get in touch via the messenger if it happens again. Kate - (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Anna from 10to8

Great for small businesses and large support centers but not for in-between

Intercom is overall a really good, professional product. They have great quality of support, good training material, and they still keep releasing

Pros

Intercom is really easy to use, it was reliable, and offers a lot of great features.

Cons

The solution's pricing doesn't fit medium sized organizations well. It's very reasonably priced if you have a very small team of agents and a few thousand customers, or if you are running a massive help center, but if you fall between the two, Intercom gets very expensive. Especially if you need to deal with SLAs and similar more advanced options.

Response from Intercom

Replied January 2021

Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review Anna. I'm glad to hear you found Intercom so easy to use and enjoyed using our features. We continue to work on our pricing structure to ensure it aligns with the value our customers are seeing. That being said, we know we're not going to be able to get it right for every business type and I'm sorry to hear we couldn't make it work for you. All the best, and we're here if you ever want to revisit us as an option :) Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)

Anne from Robly Email Marketing

Makes Everything Easier

This allows us to provide top notch customer service while maintaining an organized system on the back end that would only be a headache anywhere else. We are able to flow live chats and email tickets as well as any other inbound activity to one main hub.

Pros

I love Intercom - nearly every function it has makes my job easier, and it makes sharing information between teams regarding a single customer really easy. Bonus functions like notes/mentions, giphys, and integrations with other software systems we use really make it the best thing since sliced bread.

Cons

The messenger app. We use our own live chat system and maintain use of Intercom for email communication only. Unfortunately the messenger app looks and feels exactly like live chat, which we do not want, because we use it for email communication. Users perceive it as chat, and when they do not get an immediate reply they get frustrated. I have been told that this cannot be turned off nor is there any solution for us regarding this problem.

Kieran from Hearken

An essential tool for customer support

We 100% depend on Intercom to support our users and get feedback from them that allows us to troubleshoot technical issues. We also use their help center product to provide detailed technical documentation for our own team.

Pros

Intercom is lightweight, easy to deploy, and intuitive for the end user. We use it every day to provide timely customer support to our users, as well as to communicate with our customers.

Cons

Intercom's Articles offering is a bit neglected and lacks basic features that other help center products have. It also lacks some features around managing end user privacy (e.g. not inferring user location) that are troublesome with regard to international privacy law.

Response from Intercom

Replied July 2020

Hi Kieran! Thanks for taking the time to leave us this review and letting us know how you depend on Intercom to support your users. I've made sure to pass your feedback about our Articles product on to our product team here - I know they're working on some exciting updates in this area :) Kate (Intercom - Customer Engagement)