All Blackboard Collaborate Reviews

Gabriela

Food Production, 10,000+ employees

Reviewed May 2020

Blackboard Collaborate Review

My overall experience with Blackboard Collaborate is always amazing. My grades have improved so much with this and I have been so much more organized because it comes with a calendar and reminder of when assignments are due and I never miss an assignment.

PROS

A feature that I absolutely love about this software is the breakout rooms for group projects. I love that professors can break us into groups and it is not difficult to see in Blackboard. I love how easy it is to use this software. I also love that I get to see my professors feedback on any assignments that have been graded. I love seeing the exact percentage as well instead of it saying "B+". I absolutely love Blackboard!

CONS

One feature that I hope that this software improves is sharing the computer audio. It would be really helpful to get audio instead of text because I feel like it is easier to communicate faster and a lot more easier than text. Either way I highly recommend this software because It has helped me be more organized. There are no features that are difficult.

Nikolaus

E-Learning, 11-50 employees

Reviewed March 2020

Good Product, just pricy in comparison to others

We use blackboard for our e-learning webinars and are satisfied

PROS

Easy to use, worked everytime we used it

CONS

it cost much more than our other webinar software

Reason for choosing Blackboard Collaborate

we did switch from Blackboard to Livewebinar because of the price

Arturo

Marketing and Advertising, 2-10 employees

Reviewed June 2022

Your Blacboard virtual classroom integration

The overall experience of Blackboard Collaborate is compliant and straightforward because as I said it does not have many features or differentiators against its market competition, it is simply the blackboard addon to take online classes or virtual meetings, its stability also characterizes it but from there on out, it is a pretty normal platform, and very easy to use.

PROS

What makes collaborate stand out is its stability when it comes to virtual meetings, of course depending on your network is what determines your experience during the meeting of course. Another thing is that in my case, being still a student, the collaborate is already integrated into the class in a section where either the teacher creates the icon on the left bar, or you simply go to the blackboard tools and you can find there the meeting you want to enter the entire course you have. The platform is designed for you to join immediately so if you are in a hurry, the software will take care of that and help you with that.

CONS

I didn't see many disadvantages of blackboard collaborate when it comes to taking classes or having meetings with my team when planning projects, since it is a virtual meeting software that complies but is quite simple, which does not have many differentiators out of the market. It is quite reliable, but for some reason, my teachers prefer to take better classes in Microsoft Teams because they feel it has better and more features than blacboard collaborate.

Reasons for switching to Blackboard Collaborate

For its better and more functions offered by the platform, also to take advantage of the office package and because in general it could be said that it is better technically speaking.

Lonwabo

Computer Software, 2-10 employees

Reviewed November 2023

All about Blackboard Collaborate

I had the greatest experience with the platform since it was paid for by my institution.

PROS

I like the fact that it makes things much easier you can attend a class, or give a class anytime any place.

CONS

Nothing much other than the fact that it is very expensive.

Jeremy

Writing and Editing, 1 employee

Reviewed September 2021

Classroom in a box. On your computer. But not a diorama.

For schools that want to extend learning beyond the physical classroom, Blackboard Collaborate is a reasonable option. It can get cluttered at times, especially when the class requirements juggle messages, discussion boards, video collaboration, private rooms, not to mention invites, multiple room options, multiple schedules, and other logistical nightmares. But the option to enter a logistical nightmare is there nevertheless, and who doesn’t like options? Simple is fine, but overcomplicated is better. That said, it’s overcomplicated only until the feet get wet and the user finally understands where he or she is walking. Then it becomes a matter of muscle memory. “Where am I supposed to post that assignment?” “Oh, right, in the discussion board.” “Where’s that assignment located again?” “Announcements?” “Maybe.” See? Muscle memory.

PROS

In a time when classrooms look like our living rooms and bedrooms, a service like Blackboard Collaborate rises to the occasion and delivers that bedroom class experience like few others can. Not only does it allow instructors and students to “collaborate” via traditional video, audio, and screen-share methods (how many services do that now?), but it also comes with multiple rooms, a place to list course directives, and a place for students to leave messages, including assignments. As a provider of supplemental instructions (as in, I’m not the instructor but the support member), I could join in the conversation and offer advice in a place where students would read it and even respond. It’s like group text messaging, but better. If I could narrow this down to one “pro,” it’s that Blackboard Collaborate considers all the communication angles and makes them available to all who are assigned to use it.

CONS

Other than the convoluted way some features are put together, the biggest issue I had was with the occasional connection problem. On one notoriously hilarious day, the instructor asked me to share some information about the department I work for (a student service), then interrupted me halfway into my speech with, “Well, I guess that’s our answer.” It seemed like she was getting impatient. But the reality was that she couldn’t hear me, and she thought I’d left the class. And she was the only one. All the students and her dean could hear me just fine. Things like that happened every so often. Not exactly great. Definitely not consistent.

Kelly

Retail, 2-10 employees

Reviewed April 2021

Buggy and Difficult for Students to Use

I really wanted to like Blackboard Collaborate, but there are just too many problems and it gets in the way of the actual learning for my students.

PROS

The software does a good job with video, audio and screen sharing. I'm able to easily must students and see when someone has a question. I like that when I record a session, it makes the recording automatically available for the students.

CONS

I teach at a community college and recently switched to Collaborate for my class. I teach adults who are able to handle most technical issues, but collaborate has been very frustrating to deal with. Several of my students simply quit coming because they kept getting kicked out. I also like to join on both my phone and laptop so I can demonstrate mobile apps, but Collaborate only allows me to log in once. The help section and knowledge base have a lot of content, but I can never find the answers I'm looking for.

Reasons for switching to Blackboard Collaborate

The college I teach at provided Collaborate for us to use.

1 employee

Reviewed April 2021

Solid collaboration and communication platform

The general experience is that Blackboard Collaborate is a solid tool for collaboration, team and file management, and communication in video conferences.

PROS

Blackboard Collaborate has a broad range of features and comes along with high customizability. The video conferencing is very good, also in comparison with competitors, such as "ZOOM" and "Microsoft Teams".

CONS

Ease of use and ease of development is lacking. Moreover, the then even more necessary customer support is not always as available as needed and responses solving an issue can take a while. A clearer and simplified design of the overlays could tremendously benefit these issues.

Reason for choosing Blackboard Collaborate

We were more aware of Blackboard Collaborate. Later, we switched to Microsoft Teams.

Russell

E-Learning, 1 employee

Reviewed February 2019

Mostly reliable platform for online classes

Pleased with my experiences with Blackboard. It's incredible that you are able to take virtual classes with this platform.

PROS

As background information, this was used for online classes - so my experiences is limited and based only on that. With that said, though, I was pleased with my interactions with Blackboard Collaborate. Here are the pros: - It has an Interactive Whiteboard feature that is quite helpful. Teachers can add their slide deck or presentation here. The students can then "interact" with the presentation using some nice features (type words, underline texts, even highlight). - Similar to other programs, you can share your device's screen with the class or you can allow other students to share their screen if they need to show a presentation or something. This comes in very handy if used well. - If you've never used Blackboard before, I think it's pretty easy to get the hang of. It's well organized and has a nice user interface. - Without Blackboard, managing the workflow in an online class would be extremely difficult. However, Blackboard does a phenomenal job of allowing information, assignments, quizzes, etc. to be assigned and returned/collected in an organized fashion. - If a student is unable to attend a live session, Blackboard includes a record option so they can go back and watch the lesson whenever possible. This can also be used for remediation and review. - They have some nice little features that often go overlooked, like the quick response or thumbs up/thumbs down features. It's helpful when quickly checking for understanding. - Breakout/small group feature.

CONS

Here are some concerns: - While it works well with Chrome, this platform does not seem to work with Safari or Edge. (This could be user error, though.) - This may be user error, too, but I found the audio to be a little off. It seems like they could do some updates here to help it sound a little more smooth and less choppy. Sometimes you don't always hear everything. - Even though the record feature is awesome - it can be annoying because the video and the audio are sometimes off. - I guess this could be based on the WiFi connectivity, but video quality is inconsistent.

Luis Manuel

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed May 2023

Blackboard, the ideal platform for higher education

After more than 2 years of use, the platform seems to me to be the best in the market to guarantee a good online education and teaching, however, it has aspects to improve such as the search for material.

PROS

Easy to useUser friendly interfaceAllows full collaboration between students and teachersDynamic material managementVideo call rooms availableAllows constant communication

CONS

The search for the material is time-consumingGroups are often not closed correctly

Tasneem

Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed November 2023

Amazing platform for online instruction.

PROS

1. User friendly application. 2. Easy to access and navigate. 3. Accommodates students learning needs. 4. Video and audio clarity. 5. Easy sharing of files and documents. 6. Best communication channel. 7. Fast updates. 8. Sharing presentations, using a whiteboard, notifications, announcements, and instant chatting are all interesting features. 9. All in one platform for distance education. 10. Easy to organize conference and manage participants.

CONS

1. Strong internet connection is required. 2. It is not possible to trace student participation.

Shelby

Education Management, 501-1,000 employees

Reviewed February 2023

Blackboard Collaborate is a useful tool for some of my coursework

PROS

Overall, the software was easy to use for the purposes of my courses that opted to use this.

CONS

I don't have any complaints about Blackboard.

Cheryl

E-Learning, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed March 2022

Bb Collaborate Brings Life to Online-Learning Courses

Overall, I am very happy using Blackboard Collaborate for my online asynchronous (speech communication) courses, as they have made my transfer to online teaching such an easy one! I can't think of a better way to present material for students, and to help individuals during coaching sessions and meetings. So easy to use, presenting in an inviting and simply way (visually) and my students have found it easy to use as well.

PROS

The easy to use Bb Collaborate helps keep an online class alive. The recording options allows teachers to teach an online course, have the experience recorded, and then uploaded for later viewing for those students unable to attend live. For asynchronous classes, setting up individual meetings, or sessions for coaching students (especially for speech communication courses) is so helpful, easy to use, and very easy for students to simply click on a link to join the meeting. I feel it is a safer version than zoom, and the file-sharing, and screen-sharing options make it versatile and user-friendly for teaches and students alike. My favorite feature is the scheduling set-up: you can easily invite individuals or an entire class by sending the link to them via an email, and creating a time-frame for entering the meeting. The icons on the meeting page are also easy to navigate for first-time users (most of my students are using this for the first time) .

CONS

Some of the "how to" features when searching for help in using the application were not as clearly presented (there's a lot to navigate through on those help pages), but this is the only aspect of this teaching tool that I would re-visit. The rest of the software hasn't show to be difficult to use, in any way.

Reason for choosing Blackboard Collaborate

The college chose this product - campus-wide, so I'm not sure if other products where considered.

Education Management, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed August 2021

Blackboard Collaborate

PROS

Blackboard has been around for a long time and they certainly have a handle on online educational resources. I used Blackbaord as a student and then as an educator. Customization of courses and assignments is clean looking. There are a few different way to organize lessons, modules and the like to fit your teaching and training preferences, or virtual conferences. Assessing assignments and the built-in grading is a really fluid and offers a few different modes for categorizing activities. I usually use weighted system with some extra credit and compared to other platforms I've used like D2L or Canvas, Blackboard is much easier to work with. I Personally prefer Canvas, but Blackboard is really solid. *My institution recently switched from Blackboard to D2L.

CONS

Blackboard comes with themes and font styles, but the over all look is kinda of boring, despite the various backgrounds it offers. Blackboard also offers some embedded applications like Wikis, and other educational resources from publishers like Pearson, and while most of them seem to function, I've had many issues with these connected resources being broken. Hyper links seemed to constantly break in my announcements after some time, this could be me or an issue with one of my student's browser though, but I thought I'd put it here for people new to this software.

Naja

Hospital & Health Care, 5,001-10,000 employees

Reviewed May 2022

Blackboard Collaborate; academic learning tool that supports online learning

PROS

Overall Blackboard Collaborate is a multifunctional software that allows bigger businesses and corporations, particularly higher education communities to engage with each other in a variety of ways, including web conferences for courses and meetings, virtual office hours, and training. The user board is pretty user-friendly and is not difficult to pick up.

CONS

there were some difficulties with professors trying to do the poll options, and not being able to load them up prior to the instruction. In addition, I would recommend some additional features to be added that may increase the functionality of the software. Specifically being user friendly with apple pencil.

Yina

Pharmaceuticals, 501-1,000 employees

Used less than 2 years

Reviewed November 2020

Blackboard Collaborate— not the best, but better than most

Blackboard Collaborate is a single tick virtual study hall and online cooperation apparatus manufactured explicitly for establishments who need to convey additionally captivating, customized, and adaptable learning alternatives for understudies. Although it isn't perfect, It works out positively past customary web conferencing to meet the broad and fluctuated cooperation needs of the present instructors and students.

PROS

Board Collaborate is a direct and consistent online collective learning stage. It is a totally overhauled administration that gives a degree of commitment in which students and instructors become one. The capacity to welcome outside visitors (like guests) makes this device a significant asset in furnishing understudies with introduction to an assortment of speakers and points. Generally, it is anything but difficult to set-up meetings, start and end them, and to make accounts of the gatherings and occasions for documented use. A particular favorite feature of mine is the screen sharing feature; it permits presenters' demonstrations to be displayed for students to follow along.

CONS

The audio-video synchronization is rather inconsistent; often times, the video and audio aren't in sync. Additionally, revisiting to meetings after they've been recorded is somewhat of a pain. It is particularly hard for teachers and students who are not as tech-savvy. Another con is that teachers and students regularly lose connectivity, regardless of how strong their internet connection is. Lastly, the quantity or participants in a single session makes it nearly impossible for synchronized verbal communication compared to many other software on the market.

501-1,000 employees

Reviewed October 2019

A great starter program but with a lot of issues for long term users

Since spending 5+ years with Blackboard and Collaborate, we have since switched to Canvas. I am not seeing any issues here, albeit it has only been a year and counting since the switch. I have not had any error messages, and I've conducted live chats and webinars with students without issues. Crossing my fingers that it is the program we've been waiting for and it will keep performing for many years!

PROS

Collaborate is easy to set up initially, and it allows online collaboration - hence the title - between students and both their peers in the virtual classroom and their professor.

CONS

For short-term use, the program excels. For long-term users, there are too many bugs in the program for it to be viable for higher education use. We expect our students to be tech savvy, and it is embarrassing when our software does not hold up to this same standard. I frequently got "unavailable" or "error: contact your program administrator" messages, costing me valuable time with my students. There were also times when the whiteboard would freeze, and I'd have to reboot my entire computer while my students waited.

Administrators chose

Ariella

Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 employees

Reviewed January 2022

Blackboard Collaborate for online learning

Blackboard was my first online learning experience and it was a good one. The course I followed was a twice weekly live event with lectures in a virtual course room, and the rest of the week material was uploaded for us to study in the module section, this could be more lectures via uploaded videos or uploaded reading material.

PROS

The way our Blackboard Collaborate was set up meant that the layout was well organised and it was very clear how to navigate all the different menus. It did help that I only had 2 courses per trimester, but still the layout is very good. Module content was easy to find. I liked how you could leave questions in the discussion group and either the lecturer or other students would answer and it felt like you were not completely studying on your own. I think the way the class tests were set up is very good, also the questions are randomly allocated to every student to try and prevent cheating, which I think is a very clever thing to do.

CONS

The uploading of documents was not always straightforward and sometimes I wouldn't be sure if the work was submitted. Joining a course room to join a live lecture would not always work. Also I tried joining a course room on my phone a few times, but not very successful, audio would be there, but the visual (slides usually) could not be seen.

10,000+ employees

Reviewed September 2020

Blackboard Collaborate Review

Overall, I think Blackboard Collaborate is a very easy program to learn and use. It has it's kinks but it gets the job done at the end of the day and has so many features available with it.

PROS

Blackboard is so easy to use in comparison to other whiteboard applications I have used throughout my work career. It has a slew of features to it including video and voice chats, typing chats, whiteboards with multiple different tools available to use with it, file sharing, and weblink sharing among many other features.

CONS

The biggest and most frequent issue I have run into with the Blackboard program would be the freezing. At least two or three time's a day the program would freeze and you'd have to exit and reload the Blackboard room in order to continue using the program. Sometimes the sound would cut out or the video would be grainy and sometimes attachments and files would not send through on the first go around and you'd have to resend them.

tiffani

Education Management, 201-500 employees

Reviewed November 2018

Student review of Blackboard

PROS

I used this platform while in college. All of our classes were accessible in one place and we had access to teachers/classmates at all times. Could ask questions and get immediate responses. Could submit papers/assignments so you never had to worry about your dog eating it (). Calendar kept you organized on due dates and class material. Grades on classwork/tests were easily accessible at all times.

CONS

From a student perspective it was a great program. There were only a couple of things that I found difficult but I think it had more to do with the teacher who set up the class on Blackboard. Some material was hard to find. Too many options to put assignments. They should all go in one place. Didn't like the fact that I had to open up 5 folders to find reading assignment or questions to be answered. Discussion board could get overwhelming and looked very disorganized

1 employee