What are Duolingo users saying about the software?

Read what people like you have said about using Duolingo software through verified user reviews

4.7

• icon"It's so much fun using it and it's definitely a good way to learn a language with such a great variety of podcasts and interactive games."
  • icon"I use this product to allow myself to better communicate with the community I serve."
  • icon"The platform is verry firendly and easy to star learning a new languege, is verry interactive and visual."
  • icon"It can be more difficult to see where you are headed next than before."
  • icon"The ads are a little boring, I think that’s just what I don’t like very much."
  • icon"There are no explanations about the grammatical use of the language learned. To obtain results requires a study plan that must be followed with discipline."

Browse all Duolingo Reviews

• Have you used Duolingo and would like to share your experience with others?

Rick

Duolingo is great for learning a new language

Sheikh Sakib Ishrak

Home for Learning New Languages in a Fun, Casual Way

Duolingo knows how to keep learners motivated. Daily challenges, leaderboards, progress reports, reminders, the app's relaxing theme - everything suits my passive learning style. As the lessons are short in length, I usually get into a lesson without dedicating a long session for it. It has been a great experience so far.

Pros

A wide range of language courses is available to enroll. One of the most attractive things about Duolingo is the way the entire learning process is set up - Gamified, relaxing bite-sized lessons to dive into anytime, even on the go. Progress tracking, looking back into previously learned contents, leaderboards, community to discuss with other learners/experts - everything is well organized and easily accessible. One great part is, anyone can dive in to learn any language without spending money while staying opted out of any advertisements.

Cons

While Duolingo gives a way of learning in a fun casual way in a gamified environment, someone who has a higher priority of learning a language over other activities might find Duolingo's pace rather slow. Sometimes the lessons do feel kind of repetitive. Not everyone learns at the same pace, and I think this balancing still has an opportunity for improvement. The mobile app still lacks various features available in the web app.

Afnan

I enjoy this application and recommended people to use it

A very good software it is free it is global I recommended any one to choose it and learn the dream language .

Pros

I like how we can learn our dream language in very simple way and in anywhere you are so easy to use just choose the language you would to learn and start open the circles in the first page and so you can start. what i like more about it that they make conference every year and it is a live one they invited you in a mail to join them. also you can making new friends in many countries to learn with them so you can learning faster.

Cons

The only thing that I'm not clear about that is the grammar perfect so what you learn is the right thing or what ,and also I will talk about that the languages changes right! so it must change the way of speaking and learning must be more good .

Ewoma

Industry: Writing and Editing

Duolingo: an efficient language learning software

my experience with Duolingo has been all right. It gave me the opportunity to learn a new language without paying for language classes which is good.

Pros

I like Duolingo because it is a great language learning tool. I used to learn to improve my French language when I was studying at the university. I like how it is free and so easy to use. I don't have to spend any money on language classes due to this app. I also love its gaming format. It makes learning French and Spanish fun for me without the pressure of learning in a class. I also like its compatibility with mobile devices. I open it on my android phone and take my lessons for the day irrespective of my location. Also, its daily reminders help me stay committed to learning and not forget my learning tasks.

Cons

While Duolingo is a great language learning app, I find the pop-up ads a nuisance. Another thing I dislike about it is that it lacks the most important element for learning a language, which is; face to face interaction. That is crucial for learning your target language. Also, I would not recommend Duolingo if you want to advance to a native level in your target language. I have finished all my French lessons on the app. Although my French improved tremendously, I am still far from being on the level of a native French speaker.

Rutaba

Best language learning app in the market

Great experience, learning and reinforcing so many new words, small achievements and shoutouts make me feel good

Pros

You can see progress of friends, easily refer people, go back to lessons whenever more relevant, new talk conversation feature helps with verbal practice more

Cons

Free trial penalizes mistakes harshly, referral bonus doesn't always sync

I was done with the class that required McGraw Hill

Andile

December 2021

Duolingo Changed My Life!

In overall, I love Duolingo. I find myself watching French movies now and understanding something that I never did but of course I still refer to subtitles to confirm that I am on the right track. My reason for learning a new language is for exercising my brain and keeping it sharp.

Pros

For starters, Duolingo is free despite the fact that it teaches you a whole new language, a language that can change your life in terms of improving your cv, giving your brain a sharp memory etc. I like that Duolingo sends me emails or notifications everyday when he realizes I may have forgotten about the lessons because most times I would have. Duolingo has very interesting French lessons that are also part of the lessons. They are really interesting and make you want to continue reading and studying.

Cons

When I am recording my voice in response to what Duo wants me to say, I realize that the speech recognition is not that precise. At times I hear myself pronounce badly and be ready to say it again but Duo does not hear it properly and marks as pronounced properly. The speech recognition is lacking a bit and I believe can be improved.

Sohail

Industry: Law Practice

December 2021

Learn a new language quick and systematically

I use Duolingo to learn Spanish and love it for its simple interface and the way it lets you easily learn a new language.

Pros

Duolingo is an excellent software that let you learn new languages. It has almost all of prominent languages that it teaches. The teaching method is very systematic amd.indcludes audio, text and pictorial input and output. Its integrated test modules further aid yoir learning of a language. You can sync your Duolingo with email account thus enabling you to access and continue your progress from where you left on any device. It is available on all computer and smartphone systems.

Cons

Duolingo is the most efficient and useful among language learning softwares and has no big problems in it.

December 2021

Learn languages the easy way

My experience has been very enjoyable, I have almost completely learned new languages and I would like to continue learning many more.

Pros

Duolingo is a great software that promotes learning different languages in a playful way. The interface is very easy to use, you can learn any language from scratch or with some level of experience. Learning a language has never been so much fun.

Cons

The learning interface becomes a bit repetitive, which may bore some users.

Jiabao

Industry: Biotechnology

good language learning software

Pros

This software allows me to learn a language step by step from simple to difficult. And I always learn in context, which increases my ability to memorize words and language usage. At the same time, it uses multiple forms to test the same expression repeatedly, which helps me draw inferences from one another. Moreover, I don’t need a long time for each level, I don’t feel time wasted, and I don’t feel boring.

Cons

This is a piece of software after all, there is no problem in some language expressions, because the system fixed code software will think it is wrong

Easy and Fun Language Learning

Overall, my experience has been positive. I chose to download Spanish as a refresher from when I studied it in school as well as Korean given my recent interest in their culture and entertainment content.

Pros

What I like about Duolingo is that it makes language learning accessible and like a game. By presenting the lessons in sequential order and building upon concepts learned in preceding sessions, it makes it easy to retain what you've already covered. Additionally, they are exercises for all facets of language education such as listening comprehension, reading, writing and sentence structure.

Cons

I have not yet discovered any features that I was not happy with. Given that this is a free application, I really can't think of anything that would be lacking. I suppose if a more obscure language option was desired and not available, that could be a con but for the most part, most of the world's most requested languages for learning are options for download.

Anna

Really good but still needs a few updates

It is a swell experience and one of the better language learning app

Pros

It makes learning easier. Even though I know it is just an animation I still feel happy when the Green Owl congratulates me - which keeps me studying. It looks really nice, using it is simple

Cons

I would love the words I am learning to be more useful. At least those at the start of my journey. Some day I will need to learn how to talk about ham in Japanese but when I am starting just let me learn numbers in peace. After a while I would need something different that the Green Owl being happy, maybe additional animations since it gets old

Regina

Great Language Learning Software, But Riddled with Ads

I have had a pretty good experience with Duolingo. It is a very effective software for language learning. It is easy to track your learning and the learning style is effective for teaching language content. I was able to apply my learning a lot faster using Duolingo as compared to other language learning software. Duolingo is available via a mobile app so you can take your courses with you anywhere. Courses are also very short so it's very easy to get a few done in a relatively short time, so perfect for learning over lunch breaks or other micro-learning sessions.

Pros

Duolingo is very easy to use and very effective. It uses immersion learning like Rosetta Stone but it's more guided. It eases you into the language you chose to learn. Gamification is good; it awards you frequently with gems to be used in the app for various perks. I have noticed that I was able to read content in my chosen learned language much faster using Duolingo than compared to Rosetta Stone. It's also very accessible in the form of a mobile app, so if you install it on your phone, it can go with you anywhere which makes learning much more accessible.

Cons

I don't like how many ads Duolingo makes you watch between lessons. It is distracting to the learning environment. It's not a problem if you subscribe to Duolingo Plus but the free version's ads are very distracting and not conducive to learning. It pushes you toward subscribing even if you don't necessarily want to.

Reasons for switching to Duolingo

Rosetta Stone was too expensive. Duolingo gave me a powerful language learning software on my mobile device with an optional subscription so I don't have to spend a dime to learn a new language as long as I can deal with the amount of ads they make you watch for content access.

Anne

Best language learning app

Generally, i have had a great experience with Duolingo. I am actually still using it at the moment.

Pros

What i like most about Duolingo is the fact that it is absolutely free and out of all the other language learning apps, it has the widest variety of languages to learn; 37 to be exact. I also like the simplicity of the app. It's so easy to use even for the most ordinary person. The way the app is designed with funny animations is so welcoming that you can actually look forward to learning a language. I also love the way the app is designed to encourage the learner to not give up even when he or she has made a number of errors. Duolingo recognizes that language learning is not easy and patience is a required virtue so when one feels like throwing in the towel, the app is there to remind you in some way that it may be challenging, but it will all be worth it in the end. With all the positive attributes that the app possesses, i believe it is a great and fun tool that can even be used by children and families not just for learning, but for spending leisure.

Cons

What i dislike about this software is the lack of option for learning offline. I think learning should not be limited to strong internet connection. If there is a way that the software can be adjusted just a bit to accommodate learners who have poor internet connection, that would be wonderful so that learning goals can be reached faster. When it comes to the ads, there are some ads that are displayed that make me feel uncomfortable even as an adult. For instance If i was using Duolingo in public and some of these ads are shown, then people can question my character and probably any other learner's character.

Learn so many languages for free!

It changed the way I learn. It is so effective and flexible that I can devote few minutes to few hours every day and learn something every day.

Pros

1. You can learn almost any language in the world for free in a user-friendly manner. 2. Rewards, points, stars, bonuses keep motivating you to learn more. There is no limit on how much you can practice. 3. There are stories, daily practice lessons, grammar tips to help you learn from the very beginning. 4. You can create streaks, double your points, wear attire for the Duo mascot. 5. You can practice, earn points, and clear checkpoints to motivate you. 6. There are listening and speaking exercises too. 7. You have leaderboards to compete. 8. You can follow friends and give them high five to encourage. 9. You can feel proud of the achievement badges that you earn with a lot of hard work. 10. You can clear your doubts by posting to people in the community groups while practicing lessons. 11. You can study multiple languages by adding as many courses as you want.

Cons

1. There is no video interface to learn the nuances of a language. 2. If you give feedback for wrong sentences in rare cases, you may not hear back soon. 3. You cannot chat with friends you follow. 4. Sometimes you get the same sentences for practice which may defeat the very purpose of learning.

Expensive product

Francisco

Don't forget to practice!

Excellent, I use my free time to learn and practice, even 15 minutes per day is enough.

Pros

It is a very fun way to learn and practice the languages ​​you already know or can learn a new one. What I like the most is that you can do tests for your level or to prove yourself.

Cons

I wish there where integrations with other apps or services, to make learning more complete.

Gamification.

How to Master new language? Try Duolingo

After using it for a couple years so far, I can say that I am more than satisfied with Duo, especially after I started learning German daily with the use of it ( currently I am at my 358 day with 234 crowns and I want more knowledge, more skills and of course more Duo ). I would like to see more improvments in Duolinguo and if possible, that they return as officially recognized by LinkedIn as well, as I would like to boost more my German, share it with my connections and eventually land a new and better job thanks to it.

Pros

I love that feeling of accomplishment after new skill was acquired or new level gained ( and crown for it too ). It teaches me the basics of some language and it is free too, but I would like to see even more chapters in future, as you can't get enough of it.

Cons

I don't like the new system with five hearts ( for five negative answers, after which you fail a lesson ), but I understand it is there in order for this platform to keep being free for everyone and because of that I don't mind it too much. In the other hand, I would like to get more things which can be bought in the Duolingo shop, maybe some new outfits for Duo and especially more advanced skills for languages.

Gabija

Looks like a game, although it works as a teaching plan!

I'm a happy user of Duolingo. I recommend it to my students. It's not possible to learn a language entirely only using a Duolingo (well, that's not surprising), but it's way easier if a student uses it. I like their new features (podcasts, short stories). I would like to see improvements on machine translation and to see more customer support when users spot mistakes in the phrases.

Pros

It looks like a game - beautifully designed and user friendly; there are new features now and then (podcasts, short stories, grammar comments, etc.); constantly changing and adding new material or diving the old one in different chapters; works both on phone and on desktop device; easy to keep track of learning.

Cons

There is a feature of "streak" - how many days in a row have you used Duolingo and earned XPs (points). However, if one can't keep up with the streak, usually it ends up in losing motivation to learn after all. This is especially true for those who had 100-200 days of streak (well, I'm one of them!) Some topics are devided into so many small classes that they become too repetitive and might seem boring. Sometimes the phrases you need to translate make no sense at all ("my blu turtle wears black jeans" style of sentences). Also, Duolingo lacks flexibility in terms of machine translation - it simply doesn't accept different answers to the same question, although it should

Reasons for choosing Duolingo

Better design

Reasons for switching to Duolingo

Duolingo has a free option

Rachel

Excellent support to other language learning tactics/lessons/scenarios

I have used Duolingo on and off again for years now. I've used it to support my Norwegian language lessons, and I've used it to practice my French as I was planning on going in to be a French Immersion teacher (then COVID hit so those plans got cancelled). I recommend it to families I've known through schools I work in as an EA, and I recommend it to my stepkids to support their learning. It's just a great program to practice what is already being taught, bearing in mind differences in accents, and localized slang. It is a great place to learn formal language skills however and then when you visit or move or meet people from another place you can pick up on the slang or more relaxed language skills then and there. I would not use it exclusively for learning a language, you need more conversations with people and turtors and real life experience, but it's a great support and great jumping off point for basic language skills.

Pros

It's a clean layout, easy to navigate, fun, nice animation. I've been able to recommend it to people as a free language support enhance their (or their kids') learning (essentially good for everyone young and old).

Cons

When using as a support for other language lessons (for me I used it to support my French, Spanish, and Norwegian learning/lessons) it can be hard to understand some of the verbal prompts; as a Canadian I am learning Quebecois French accent and vernacular, and my Norwegian lessons in person were with one kind of accent (very formal language and generic accent) however when I moved to Norway for 6 months I was actually in a completely different dialect than is presented in Duolingo and most of my lessons went out the window (though they were a good jumping off point for the language generally speaking, but Norway has as many dialects as Ireland has regional accents).

André

Industry: Chemicals

A very good option to reinforce your language skills

As a brazilian trilingual person (I spoke portuguese, english and spanish), it is a way for keep my language skills sharp, and also to learn about other languages. Nowdays I am learning japanese, and it has been a very good experience, I had contact with the language on the past, but even for a person which had not have it, the way which the App explain everything, is pretty easy and well guided. My mother is learning spanish using it, and it is awesome how she can talk with me and explain some complexes things using the skills which she learned through Duolingo.

Pros

The ease of use, the contents inside it, the exercises, the grammatic explanations are pretty good, also they have some "died languages", as latin, Irish, and some other dialects, which without this kind of technology would be tend to disappear.

Cons

Sometimes the exercises repeat so much, at point to make the user bored, but I know that some people learns with repetition. Therefore, I do not see so much advantage to choose the paid version of it.

A must have for anyone interested in language learning or teaching

Duolingo is a great app for whoever wants to learn, start learning or just stay engaged with the languages they're interested in. I use it to learn Japanese and whenever I develop an interest for any language, Duolingo is the first app that comes to mind. I've used several other software to try to learn but I always come back to Duolingo.

Pros

I teach languages for a living and one of the biggest challenges was to gauge how much and exactly what the students know. With Duolingo my job became a lot easier with their Duolingo For Schools product. Duolingo already makes language learning fairly simple by avoiding to overcomplicate the learning process with dense grammar and leaning towards a more intuitive experience but when they introduced this new feature on top of that it only made my love for the app even deeper.

Cons

Duolingo is a very intuitive app but it falls short when it comes to certain features. For example: it's very difficult to set up Duolingo For Schools and in the mobile app there isn't even any button for it. The student has to go to the settings and look for it. Also, Duolingo has features for some languages and not for others. I guess this is due to the time it takes to create content but until the day comes this will always feel like a downside.

Osarumwense

It has made learning foreign languages easy peasy!

Now, i can speak and write in Italian language. I just love Duolingo!

Pros

I so much like this app...I can now communicate with a foreign language! I like the fun ways it provides for learning. It is very easy to use, and familiarise with. I love that it is free! I like the progress tracker and the notifications to remind one that it is time to learn...

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that, if you skip a day without learning, your progress level will drop. Above all, i love the app.

Greatest language app to discover or build a level on any languages!

I use it daily! Whatt I love the most is that it's a complete learning experience : I can read, hear and talk the language. I have to translate in my language or express myself in the foreign langage. It's the key to be able to fully make progress to me

Pros

I use it daily, each morning! I love the way the learning journey is built. Usually it can be hard to have enough usefull vocabulary hen learning by ourselves a language because we start with the easy words. The app builds a strong path to be able to speak on many subjects , for holidays in the region, work, ..

Cons

The only small point I do not really like about the app, is the recommendation of which lesson to continue. Sometimes I feel ready with level 1 on a topic and do not want to spend more time on the notion and only jump on the next

Gabriel

Una aplicación fácil para practicar idiomas

Me ha ayudado para repasar o como complemento de algunos cursos de idiomas, es muy bueno para poder practicar y aprender algunas cosas nuevas.

Pros

Es una aplicación muy fácil, interactiva e intuitiva de usar, te puede enseñar desde lo básico hasta cosas más avanzadas, con ayuda de imágenes, audios y textos fáciles de entender, puedes practicar la pronunciación, la idea de las ligas hace que te pongas algunas metas para mejorar y superarte, y la sección de "Cuentos de Duolingo" me parece una muy buena herramienta para poder escuchar conversaciones de situaciones reales.

Cons

Algunas notificaciones pueden ser molestas y vienen activadas, también que algunas opciones para aprender algunos idiomas no están en la lengua materna y se requiere de un idioma extra.

Fred

What is my experience with Duolingo?

It's very well, In my experience is excellent for start to learn a language. But I think is necessary more things for be absolutely professional.

Pros

I loved it, because you can practice a new language writing, listening, spelling and all together. Also, the sections are organize for you keep learning daily. I like when send you a notification for study a new lesson, and how is easy for keep as a routine.

Cons

Well, In Duolingo you can obtain gems for buy some extras resources such as themes, and gadgets; sometimes, Is expensive and you can't buy it. And the plus version quit ads, and give you more facilities for lessons. but I don't think is necessary for the price. Another problems is the level of languages. For be C1 (advanced) Duolingo isn't enough.

Jonathan

Industry: Civil Engineering

Learning a language by playing

Overall, it is a very useful software if you want to learn a new language, easy to use, and it is also very entertaining, unlocking levels while watching your progress is very efficient while learning. The free version is very interesting, but they also have a monthly subscription that unlocks new levels.

Pros

What I liked the most is that the software teaches you a series of languages in an entertaining way. The idea of unlocking levels to advance your knowledge of a language is fantastic. Also, the interface of the software is very easy to use. The interaction with the levels is a lot of fun.

Cons

What I liked the least was that the subscription to the premium version of the software does not offer you many new things compared to the free version, beyond new levels.

Duolingo